Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Incompetence Flaw rebate
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fortune
QUOTE (deek)
Why not allow the incompetency and just don't give any BP for it if you rule it overly cheesy? If the player throws a fit, then that may give you a pretty good indication whether they were taking it for the background or just for the BP bonus...

The thing is that there is a difference between a character not being good at something and the actual Incompetence Quality, which makes it impossible for the character to even attempt the Skill.

One is flavor, but if the character is going to be basically permanently limited in this fashion, then they have every right to expect a minor BP gain for it. Otherwise all they need to do to reflect their character's inability is to describe it in-game and never use the Skill.

My point is ... why would you think that any 'good' Player should be perfectly fine with being forced to take the actual Incompetence Quality for free?
Moon-Hawk
I just want to echo one sentiment here.
Incompetance is not for someone who isn't good at something. That's what no skill is for. Incompetance is only for special cases of inherent inability to learn, and it should make sense and have a good reason why the character can't learn that skill.
lorechaser
I'm also a fan of requiring multiple incompetencies for certain skills.

Incompetence (Archery) is kinda lame. Incompetence (Archery, Tumbling) is better.

I know that I already do that if I feel like I might be edging the line - my Gunslinger mystic adept has incompetence (Ritual Sorcery, Archery) as a single 5 bp quality. Both are innately related to her vision of how magic and adept powers work. Using a bow would be a fundamental sin for her, as would casting a spell with the help of other people. But it didn't feel right getting 10 bp for that.
Charon
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Nov 20 2006, 01:09 PM)
Suffice it to say that I beleive that the incompetency abuse can be addressed with properly worded rules, and that a good game system should balance itself, not rely on the GM to slap players who abuse the rules. I may not know what they are yet, but this thread was meant to generate ideas on how to do so. So a post saying you can't is less than helpful.

Just because it ain't helpful doesn't mean it ain't accurate.

Even basic houserules like "You can't be incompetent in skills that can't be defaulted to" can be problematic.

For example, if a Mage takes Incompetent (Hardware), I'd say no. Not only is it a skill you can't default to, it's a skill that over 90% of mage will never learn in their career. Karma is precious, after all.

Now, if a Covert Ops type take Incompetant (Hardware), that's another story. It's still a skill you can't default to, but it's also a skill 90% of Covert Ops type will learn at creation and the rest will learn pretty damn soon. Without it, the Covert Ops PC must find Jackie Chan / Ninja / David Copperfield solutions to almost everything he does! he's deliberately made his survival more difficult, given his role in the group, and so it's not out of line to compensate him with a few bonus BP.

So you see, even the most apparently obvious houserule one could think of to limit abuse could be problematic.

So yeah, it's a judgement call. Based not only on the PC but on the campaign you know you are about to run. Incompetent Swimming should be banned if you know the biggest body of water they'll face in the campaign is a bath, for example.

---

I'd say that trying to enforce a balanced PC generation system by cutting the GM's judgement out of the equation in favor of even more detailed rules that try to account for every situations is at best futile and at worst harmful.
Fortune
QUOTE (lorechaser)
... my Gunslinger mystic adept has incompetence (Ritual Sorcery, Archery) as a single 5 bp quality. Both are innately related to her vision of how magic and adept powers work. Using a bow would be a fundamental sin for her, as would casting a spell with the help of other people. But it didn't feel right getting 10 bp for that.

See, I'd have no problems at all giving you the full 10 BP for that.
Fortune
QUOTE (Charon)
Even basic houserules like "You can't be incompetent in skills that can't be defaulted to" can be problematic.

For example, if a Mage takes Incompetent (Hardware), I'd say no. Not only is it a skill you can't default to, it's a skill that over 90% of mage will never learn in their career. Karma is precious, after all.

Now, if a Covert Ops type take Incompetant (Hardware), that's another story. It's still a skill you can't default to, but it's also a skill 90% of Covert Ops type will learn at creation and the rest will learn pretty damn soon. Without it, the Covert Ops PC must find Jackie Chan / Ninja / David Copperfield to almost everything he does! he's deliberately made his survival more difficult, given his role in the group, and so it's not out of line to compensate him with a few bonus BP.

So you see, even the most apparently obvious houserule one could think of to limit abuse could be problematic.

A Mage taking Incompetency in Ritual Spellcasting or Banishing shouldn't be outlawed because of a blanket rule. And if you then make exceptions for those concepts, why make the new rule (that is supposed to replace GM Fiat) in the first place?
Aemon
QUOTE (lorechaser)
I'm also a fan of requiring multiple incompetencies for certain skills.

Incompetence (Archery) is kinda lame. Incompetence (Archery, Tumbling) is better.

I know that I already do that if I feel like I might be edging the line - my Gunslinger mystic adept has incompetence (Ritual Sorcery, Archery) as a single 5 bp quality. Both are innately related to her vision of how magic and adept powers work. Using a bow would be a fundamental sin for her, as would casting a spell with the help of other people. But it didn't feel right getting 10 bp for that.

I actually really like this notion! it makes sense...

How can one person be incompetent at Longarms but be a dead-eye shot with a pistol?

Here's a cheesy example that I did to my character as a lark, I took Incompetence (Nautical Mechanics) - 5PB.

I mean, Nautical Mechanics?? My character is the group's face. We have a rigger. Chances are I will never need to fix a boat, and if it comes down to me fixing a boat engine or us drowning, well I guess we're all going down with the ship. Chances are, such a situation will never come up.

What if incompetence was a quality that applied only to Group skills? Raise the BP compensation to say 10BP, but when you take the quality, you take an entire group. Thus I couldn't specify Nautical mechanics, but rather ALL mechanical skills. If I am inept in firearms, then it applies to all firearms.

Just a thought...

Fortune
QUOTE (Aemon @ Nov 21 2006, 08:41 AM)
How can one person be incompetent at Longarms but be a dead-eye shot with a pistol?

Because they can't hold something abolutely still when using both hands, but have no such problems when using just one?

There could be a multitude of reasons, and I'm sure that, if asked, the Player could give you one that works.

Hell ... it could just be a totally psychological thing ... he saw his dad getting filled with lead pumped from a combat shotgun, and just can't bring himself to pick up anything similar ever since.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Fortune)
Hell ... it could just be a totally psychological thing ... he saw his dad getting filled with lead pumped from a combat shotgun, and just can't bring himself to pick one up ever since.

And this, to me, would be fine. There's some background and characterization here, and if this is what it takes to get an otherwise powergaming munchkin to give their character some depth and background, then I'm all for it. Getting said munchkin to develop their character is worth 5BP to me, as a GM.
Aemon
Well that's the problem; you can justify anything you want. I could justify my Incompetence (Nautical Mechanics) - using the same father example no less. Vic's (my PC's name) daddy was a dock worker. One fateful day, on the "Bring Your Child To Work" day, they were doing a standard engine rebuild when the crane lifting the engine had a mechanical failure. The engine fell and crushed daddy right in the head.

Ever since then, Vic could not look at a boat engine.

There. Done. You can justify anything.

Hell, we were laughing about taking Incompetence (Parachuting).

"Jump out and pull the chord."

"What chord?"

"That one." *points*

"Oh, Okay."

"NO YOU IDIOT, JUMP FIRST THEN PULL!"

*FOOOOMPH!*

"AIIIYEEEEE!"

Yah. No.
deek
QUOTE (Fortune)
My point is ... why would you think that any 'good' Player should be perfectly fine with being forced to take the actual Incompetence Quality for free?

The term "good" is subjective...as a GM, I would consider a player that wanted to take some incompetencies for free, in order to add flavor to his/her character and challenge themselves from a roleplaying aspect, to be a very good player...

I've been known to take negative qualities (in multiple RPGs, not just SR) in order to challenge myself with a particular character...but then again, I am usually not concerned with min/maxing a character, I just like to enjoy the game.
Fortune
QUOTE (Aemon)
Well that's the problem ...

I fail to see the problem.

One (maybe minor) inconvenience for the character + character background development = 5BP

Sounds fine to me.
Charon
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Charon @ Nov 21 2006, 08:12 AM)
Even basic houserules like  "You can't be incompetent in skills that can't be defaulted to" can be problematic.

For example, if a Mage takes Incompetent (Hardware), I'd say no.  Not only is it a skill you can't default to, it's a skill that over 90% of mage will never learn in their career.  Karma is precious, after all.

Now, if a Covert Ops type take Incompetant (Hardware), that's another story.  It's still a skill you can't default to, but it's also a skill 90% of Covert Ops type will learn at creation and the rest will learn pretty damn soon.  Without it, the Covert Ops PC must find Jackie Chan / Ninja / David Copperfield to almost everything he does!  he's deliberately made his survival more difficult, given his role in the group, and so it's not out of line to compensate him with a few bonus BP.

A Mage taking Incompetency in Ritual Spellcasting or Banishing shouldn't be outlawed because of a blanket rule. And if you then make exceptions for those concepts, why make the new rule (that is supposed to replace GM Fiat) in the first place?

You're talking to whom? 'Cause that was kinda my point...
Fortune
QUOTE (deek)
as a GM, I would consider a player that wanted to take some incompetencies for free, in order to add flavor to his/her character and challenge themselves from a roleplaying aspect, to be a very good player...

I consider someone that shows up regularly, and on time, adds something to the enjoyment of the game, and doesn't cause too many disruptions at my table to be a very good player.

An aside, not related to you ...

What they choose to play should be (mostly) up to them. Why do some GMs feel the need to micro-manage their player's characters? They have the entire rest of the world to do that with.

I mean, from a 'game balance' standpoint, there are already limits built into the Quality system ... you can only take so many BP worth. Does it really matter if one person chooses a Mild Allergy to Gold while another opts to be Incompetent at Piloting Aerospace Vehicles? The balance factor of a maximum gain of 35 BP is still there.
Fortune
QUOTE (Charon @ Nov 21 2006, 09:11 AM)
You're talking to whom?  'Cause that was kinda my point...

Trying to help reinforce it. wink.gif
Charon
Well thanks. But next time, soothe my glaring insecurities by stating it in your post. wink.gif
Fortune
I almost added a note to that effect, but figured with the context of my other posts it would not really be necessary. nyahnyah.gif
Charon
What, you think I read your other posts, you ego maniac?
Fortune
QUOTE (Charon @ Nov 21 2006, 10:28 AM)
What, you think I read your other posts, you ego maniac?

Doesn't everyone? question.gif
Aemon
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Aemon @ Nov 21 2006, 08:58 AM)
Well that's the problem ...

I fail to see the problem.

One (maybe minor) inconvenience for the character + character background development = 5BP

Sounds fine to me.

I guess what one person considers to be "character building" another person sees as point farming.

To each their own.

ElFenrir
Ahh, i am another who don't see negative qualities, in an of themselves, as point farming. They can be used as such.

They have a negative point total. This is to gain a positive quality of equal points...or extra points. Hell, everyone has stuff that can be considered edges and flaws. In the game, stuff taken as flaws actively hinder the character.

For instance, i am morbidly phobic of centepedes. I can barely look at a picture of the little thousand legged bastards. Put one in the room with me and see me cling to a ceiling. Unable to get to ceiling i would probably start attacking it with the largest firearm i could find.

In shadowrun, i would not expect to get points for this. Unless the entire campaign was based on a run where we had to break something out of the new Aztech Bug Facility and they happened to have Centepede Shamans. Then, it would probably be a hefty flaw. But probably, not. I had a character built with old rules when you could take a smoking addiction. Severely addicted, had to light up if a Will roll was failed, running or not. refusal to light ended up with negatives. Yeah, it affected him. I kept it though...even when they took 'nicotine' out of the addictions lists. Fits the character. I wasnt going to remove it because i no longer got points.

Look, occationaly we all get 'allergy syndrome', what i like to call 'desperately need five points' or something. No matter how 'good a roleplayer' one is, im sure it hits 99% of us at one point or another, it doesnt make folks twinkers because of it.

In sports they give handicaps which hinder/help. In other games they give the same. But granting a few extra points in an RPG usually ends up as heated debate for some reason.

(again, not attacking anyone, to each their own...i guess im trying to understand both sides. I sort of have a midground view...i have no problems with them in and of themselves, but given to the wrong people, like anything, they can become a problem. Used wisely, they can be fun for all involved.)
Aemon
Well see, the problem I have with the Incompetence flaw is that it affects each individually skill differently. A Mage who takes Incompetence in one of his magic skills is actually taking a penalty. But if he takes Incompetence (Exotic Weapons - Shoelaces), then well, that's really not a big deal.

That's an extreme example, but it doesn't even have to be that extreme. There is a certain amount of logic that dictates that if you are incompetent at Nautical Mechanics, you are also incompetent at automotive and aeronautical mechanics. This is simply to make the effect of incompetence of greater consequences in some cases - but it's not necessary in all cases. A character who takes incompetence (Pistols) is really (hahah) shooting himself in the foot. Whileas a character who takes incompetence (parachuting) isn't.

Perhaps it would make sense if a character was forced to take Incompetence (Parachuting) along with Phobia (Heights). Yes that gives them more points, but it also fleshes out why they are so damn incompetent at that skill and actually gives them character.

coyote6
QUOTE (ixombie)
And if you want some free BP, just take incompetence in every skill you're never likely to use. It's incredibly rare that it will hurt you, and you can get up to the full -35 just by sacrificing skills you weren't gonna use. Sacrificing skills you weren't gonna use anyway isn't any kind of sacrifice at all...

Actually, there is a sacrifice, albeit minor, mostly affecting roleplaying: certain Negative Qualities increase Notoriety by 1 each; Incompetence is on that list (SR p. 258). So that -35 BP in Incompetences gives the starting PC Notoriety 7; he's not going to have any net Street Cred for a long time.

(OTOH, that Notoriety would technically apply as a bonus to intimidation. "Don't mess with that dude! I heard he can't fix a Sea Otter engine to save his life!" Hmm, what's the email address for Murphy's Rules?)
Fortune
QUOTE (coyote6)
So that -35 BP in Incompetences gives the starting PC Notoriety 7; he's not going to have any net Street Cred for a long time.

Only to people that would be aware of that character's Incompetencies. Otherwise that just doesn't apply (but neither does the intimidation bonus).
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)

It's already been establishes that I think incompetency in skills you can default on is broken, but I'm not sure it needs to go altogether. Then this Idea came to me. I'd like some input on it.

....What do you think?

I think the whole flaw can be fixed by wearing depends underwear.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (coyote6 @ Nov 22 2006, 06:01 PM)
So that -35 BP in Incompetences gives the starting PC Notoriety 7; he's not going to have any net Street Cred for a long time.

Only to people that would be aware of that character's Incompetencies. Otherwise that just doesn't apply (but neither does the intimidation bonus).

IIRC, Street Cred matters if they've heard of you or not, not if they've heard of what you do.

Notoriety, on the other hand, is there if they've heard of you or not. Heck, Notoriety makes sure that they *have* heard of you. Probably not in a good way.

A little hard to see how/why Incompetent To The Extreme makes you more intimidating, but, it could be done.

"Me and the boys are gonna talk, figure out what to do next, since you ain't being cooperative. Sharkie, here, is gonna keep you covered until then."

"Sharkie? Oh God, you mean "Fumbles"?! He can't do *anything* right!"

"Tell me about it. Can't tell a wrench from a screwdriver, can't drive a car, Frak, we never *could* teach him what a safety was."

"It'll talk, I'LL TALK!"
Fortune
QUOTE (SR4 - pg. 258)
Like Street Cred, Notoriety is only effective when applied to people who would know of the character’s notorious rep.
wind_in_the_stones
A few people have mentioned disallowing incompetencies in skills that can be defaulted to. The description of the flaw states that characters may not default on the skill. What this sounds like to me, is that if you take Incompetent (longarms), it's not that you can't purchase the skill, it's that you can't fire the gun. So whether it is defaultable is moot.

PlatonicPimp
Actually, it's disallowing it for skills you CAN'T default to. Some skills, like, say, nautical engineering, don't allow you to default. They are marked in Italics on the skill chart. Taking an incompetency in these skills hurts less, because you already couldn't default on those skills. I waffle between disallowing it and allowing it, but at a reduced rebate.
wind_in_the_stones
Ah. But I think the difference is minimal. There's a whole spectrum of potential cost to the character. I'm not sure it's worth singling out unless it's a huge difference. Like your proposed house rule to grant more build points for a higher linked attribute. It made sense because the character is potentially losing more, both because his skill would have been higher, and because he'd be more likely to take that skill in the first place. But the question remains: is it worth making rules for it? Your campaign, your call.
PlatonicPimp
For me, It's always worth messing with the rules.
wind_in_the_stones
I guess our group is too lazy to bother. biggrin.gif

For us, any house rule worth proposing is a pretty major change, and anything major meets resistance.
Cain
Don't forget, you *can* buy off Flaws in SR4, so an Incompetence might be viewed as a temporary annoyance more than a character restriction. If you reduce the rebate of the flaw, you also reduce the buyoff cost.

Incompetence doesn't mean you cannot buy the skill. By the RAW, it only means you'll need to spend 14 karma to do so. Which can be considered to be a pretty significant penalty in and of itself, although it still allows for a lot of front-loading. Thus, Incompetences in Hardware and Software, although you cannot default on those skills, carries an actual penalty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012