Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A munchkin's best friend?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
jervinator
I know quite a few people that have taken a REAL liking to sniper rifles, sometimes over the ever-popular Panther Assault Cannon. A little looking revealed that, unlike Assault Cannons, there are fewer restrictions on the use of Sniper rifles in SR4 than there are IRL. Ammo is easier to get, the DV and AP are quite nice, and under SR4, the weight and lack of concealability are not a real issue any more.

First, I must point out that many sniper rifles used in reality are simply accurized versions of other rifles. In SR terms, they are Sport or Assault rifles with better tolerances. What SR4 calls a Sniper Rifle is what real life would likely call an Anti-Material Rifle. Long barrel, large bullet (.50 BMG, 14.7mm, etcetera), bipod... and rather unusable unless the firer is prone.

This prompted the following house rules for Sniper Rifles:

- Any attack made with a Sniper Rifle suffers a -2 dice penalty unless a Complex Action is spent to drop prone and rest the weapon on it's bipod or similar rest. Without the stabilizing effect of an appropriate rest, natural tremors in the human musculature interact badly with the floating barrel or some other detrimental thing that is equivalent in game terms.

- Sniper Rifle ammo is 10x cost and +4 Availability. Large caliber rounds manufactured to specs sufficient to maintain accuracy at extreme ranges are neither cheap nor easy to find. I don't think 200 nuyen.gif and availability 6R for normal .50 BMG rounds (or their 2070 equivalent) is unreasonable.
Charon
QUOTE (jervinator @ Dec 5 2006, 10:40 PM)
First, I must point out that many sniper rifles used in reality are simply accurized versions of other rifles. In SR terms, they are Sport or Assault rifles with better tolerances.

In case you haven't noticed, the performances of the sniper rifle proposed in SR4 are pretty comparable to those the sport rifle. You know, the entry just above the sniper rifle?

If you were to shoot at a man in combat armor, your performances would go :
  • PJSS Elephant rifle
  • Ranger Arms SM-4
  • Walther MA-2100
  • Ruger 100
The top two is very close in performance (PJSS will do .33 more damage on average) and so is the bottom two (The MA-2100 has a .66 edge on the Ruger 100 though against an unarmored man they perform the same).

When they come up with the .50 caliber sniper rifle in arsenal, you'll notice because thousands of munchkin will have a collective orgasm.

Concerning your houserules, I'm guessing you've experienced abuse because I don't really see the need.

These sniper rifle are defininetely not as big as a Barret and can be shot from the shoulder, though a pro would obviously never waste a shot at long range until he was somehow braced.

But then, the same can be said of Assault rifle. I've fired with an assault rifle a bit and I can't imagine being able to hit anything at 400 meter unless I was braced against something.

So I'd rather not. Most PC using a sniper rifle will describe him as prone or braced anyway since they are usually hidden.

As for the ammo... I would never bother with anything special. I've seen 4 bullet fired in 7 session. I'm not making up rules for that!

---

You said something about concelament not being a concern. Of course it is! It virtually can't be hidden. It's at least at +6 like an assault rifle in perception test.

---

What's your concern? You've seen many PCs using a sniper rifle as if it was an assault rifle?

That seems unlikely. By the rules, and without any houserules, an assault rifle is a much better weapon to use in a typical firefight.

Against an opponent aware of you, the primary concern is to hit your target and the autofire capabilties of the AR will yield much more damage on average per attack. Either because you use a narrow burst and boost damage beyond that of a sniper rifle, or because you use wide burst and are harder to dodge.

Less important but oft forgotten ; the in a close range shootout, being forced to abandon your weapon during flight is a real possibility. And it's far less wallet wrenching to abandon an assault rifle than a sniper rifle.
warrior_allanon
this is why my team specced out a panther assault cannon in 3ed as a sniper rifle, more damage also
ixombie
My big question is how you know that sniper rifles IRL are harder to get than in SR4... There's no availability roll IRL, so it's not like you can make a direct comparison. And pardon me for being skeptical, but I doubt that either you or I know jack about the black market.

Anyway, it's the 2070's. It's a very very different world. How things are today shouldn't have much bearing on how they are in Shadowrun. FanPro wrote the future world and it is how they say it is - the fact that it's nothing like today is, well, DUH.

Now, you might have a point if you think that they're more available than they should be, regardless of realism. That's just a matter of opinion though. I personally like how you can start out with the Walther. Used to be if you wanted to make a sniper char, you had to start with a boring-ass sport rifle. Now, you can actually make your sniper have a real sniper's weapon.

Of course, a huge reason why sniper rifles are more available in SR4 is that the gap between sniper and regular rifles has been vastly reduced. They've recognized the distinction that you point out between sniper and anti material rifles. Used to be the only sniper rifles availble were anti material, they did 14S damage compared to a sport rifle's 9S. Now, they do +1 DV with extra AP, not such a big difference. That level of upgrade doesn't mean they've made the jump from sniper rifle to anti-material rifle.
kzt
You can also get rid of the stupid "telescopic sights reduce the range" idiocy if you want to make hard shots hard to do in the game.
jervinator
Let us think about think for a moment about what a Sniper rifle really is.

In SR4 as written, it is an expensive, hard to obtain weapon with an AP of -3; 2 points better than other rifles. And ammo is no costlier than for a Predator or Uzi which makes it a bit better than the Panther. Actually, they are on par with an HMG except for the fire mode. Last I knew, HMGs didn't fire 5.56 or even 7.62.

IRL, a sniper rifle is a piece of precision equipment. It can be either highly accurate OR battle-worthy (as a runner would use it) but must trade one for the other. And the rifles that actually have better penetration than a normal rifle (like the SR4 ones do) tend to fire bigger bullets. Actually, the PJSS Elephant rifle seems to refute even that!

Is there a link between MOA accuracy and armor piercing ability? Would such a precise weapon perform the same with cheap ammo or would it require a better bullet to get the most out of it? Could if fire accurately at such long ranges without proper bracing, or would it's accuracy and effective range be reduced considerably when shoulder-fired?

As for firing prone, I thought that was the assumed position for a sniper rifle anyways. To my mind, shoulder-firing a sniper rifle is like one-handing an assault rifle.
toturi
If you want to Realism the sniper rifle in SR4, you are welcome to House Rule so. Just remember some assault rifles are restricted, not forbidden. So if you got the right license, you are allowed to have it. If you want to be a Realism ass about it and say that the cops are going to hassle someone with a ® Assault Rifle as much as someone with a (F) sniper rifle, you are welcome to house rule it as you see fit.

You will do well to remember that RL is not SR and vice versa. It is a trap a lot of GMs I've seen fall into. I've found that "Realism" doesn't add much to the game unless the players enjoy this sort of thing. If they like "Realism", then House Rule it all you want.
Jack Kain
AP is more about the design of the gun and the ammo it uses. They simplified ammo by having it all use a universal cost because in the long and even short run the price differences don't really matter.

Lets look at the big nasty PJSS Elephant Rifle.
9P and AP -1. But wait single shot and its ammo capacity is 2. One in each barrel
Just like the classic elephant rifle seen in movies. It can fire both barrels at once for a +1 DV.
Or it can skip that and fire twice before having to be reloaded.

An FN HAR with some shockpads.
6P AP -1,
Could fire in a short narrow burst at no penalty (with the shock pads for the second shot)
DV 8P AP -1. The same is true if numerious assault rifles in that category. One less then the dreaded 9P elephant rifle. Plus the assault rifles have full-auto options and what not.

The rugar sport rifle has less pore but a higher ammo capacity 5(m) but being muzzle loaded it takes a complex action to reload. And a burst firing assault rifle will deal more damage.

Now lets look at the big bad sniper rifles.
First we have the Ranger Arms SM-4:
First read this passage.
"Its barrel is highly sensitive: if bumped after being assembled(which tends to happen
when it’s being used in standard combat situations outside its intended sniper role),
a –1 dice pool modifier is applied to all of its attack rolls."

Now its availibilty is 16F so it can be hard to get a hold off. Thankfully it collapses into a suit case otherwise you could easily be stopped by Lone Star and in deep crap.

The walter is easier to get a hold of but less powerful, once again an assault rifle can deal more damage by firing in narrow bursts. (and with the right mods can be doen with out penalty).

Personally I'd imposse a hefty penalty (beyond the -3) for shooting a foe while engaged in melee.
Garrowolf
kzt - what problem do you have with the range and scope thing? And how would you change it?
jervinator
KZT - I almost forgot...I thought the point of telescopic sights was to reduce the efective range, at least for purposes of aiming. Obviously they won't increase the maximum range but they will allow accurate fire out to that maximum if properly calibrated by a competent weaponsmith.
Jack Kain
As I understand it the purpose of telescopic sight. Is thus, you take a complex action to lock on and remove the penalty for firing at long range.
Lord Ben
What exactly is the problem you're having with sniper rifles? That they kill people quickly? Because that's a feature of SR4, not just sniper rifles. Things die easy, even to pistols.

Or is it that the players are doing the killing from long range?

Or you just don't think it's realistic?
Charon
QUOTE (kzt @ Dec 5 2006, 11:25 PM)
You can also get rid of the stupid "telescopic sights reduce the range" idiocy if you want to make hard shots hard to do in the game.

Yeah, actually that's a houserule of mine to.

With me, on most weapon a telescopic sight doesn't reduce the penalty for shooting at long range. It just makes it possible.

Seriously, if you are using a sniper rifle and targeting someone 1000 meter away, how do you even do it without a scope?! Maybe an eagle can do it, but me I can't see squat passed a few hundred meters.

And since shooting at 1000 meter with a scope is harder than shooting at 20 meter because the bullet is gonna be affected by wind and gravity, it stands to reason that you should have a penalty.

So in my games, it is understood that every sniper rifle has a scope but that range penalties still apply. That was a recent ruling when sniping was required in my latest session.

I'm probably going to expand on it for Assault rifle. Shooting at 500 meter without a scope at just -3 is hard to swallow.
Clyde
Once, in an SR3 game, I saw a player who had his character use a sniper rifle for everything. Fighting in alleys, indoors, short ranges, it didn't matter. In SR3, sniper rifles did 14S damage and they were head and shoulders above even a burst fire assault rifle.

I've never seen that kind of lunacy in an SR4 game - mostly because Sniper Rifles use the Longarms Skill which a lot of people ignore. Those who do grab longarms often use a shotgun at close range, especially the burst fire one. In any event 7P -4AP isn't far enough out of line that I've seen someone use it when another weapon would make more "real world" sense.

Of course, if you think your munchkin's are abusing some aspect of the rules (and you happen to be the GM) there's always this simple solution: (ab)use the offending rule right back at them! If you've got a guy who uses a sniper rifle inside because there's some kind of mechanical advantage, then go ahead and give all your security guards sniper rifles. Have somebody hold up a Stuffer Shack with one. Say he hid it under an extra long trench coat. Make sure there are Sniper Rifle drive by's. When your munchkin (I presume it's just one) objects just say: "it's in the rules. If you can do it, so can they." Fiscally minded munchkins will take the Sniper Rifles off your dead goons - remember to apply the -20% deduction in street value for a market glut (don't they know everybody's got a sniper rifle now? Who will their fixer sell it to?).

No need to go around houseruling the game. Or arguing abuot real life. Your problem is a dude who's playing a game with you and somebody's being a dick about it. Address it at that level and you can fix it. Go all passive aggressive by changing the rules and you're just cheating.
Charon
QUOTE (Clyde @ Dec 6 2006, 01:58 AM)
Of course, if you think your munchkin's are abusing some aspect of the rules (and you happen to be the GM) there's always this simple solution:  (ab)use the offending rule right back at them!  If you've got a guy who uses a sniper rifle inside because there's some kind of mechanical advantage, then go ahead and give all your security guards sniper rifles.

I really, really hate that solution.

And it's nothing against you ; I hear many GM suggest it.

But think of the madness! In your example, imagine a bunch of guards running around with sniper rifle! THis would tunr the session into a looney tunes episode. Next you gonna have a guard go Wiley Coyote on the PC and run at them with dynamite. You can't turn your session into a farce just to make a point.

If it comes down to it, you are much better of houseruling.

But in SR4 it'Ks not necessary. An Assault rifle is better than a sniper rifle in a close range firefight. Just use it right to demonstrate that to the PC.
Fortune
QUOTE (Clyde)
Address it at that level and you can fix it.

... or not.
kzt
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
kzt - what problem do you have with the range and scope thing? And how would you change it?

If you can't hit a 4 ft square target with iron sights at 300 yards putting a 20x scope on the rifle doesn't help at all. The bullet drop, velocity change, bullet dispersion, crosswind deflection and time of flight don't change when you put a piece of glass on a rifle. And it certainly doesn't make imperfections in your technique go away.

What optics enables you to do is SEE the target. It's still up to the shooter to HIT the target. And it's just a lot harder to hit a target at 1000 meters than it is at 50 meters, no matter whether you have iron sights or a 500x scope on the rifle.

A minor error in your technique that, at 150 yards, means your shot aimed at the base of his nose hits him dead center of the left eye will, at 1500 yards, result in the bullet going two feet over his head. And that's before all the factors that effect the bullet's ballistics get about 15 times more important.

That's why there really are not a lot of people who can reliably hit a man-sized target at 1000 meters. And if you are not one of them, getting the world champion's rifle and gear isn't going to mystically make you able to shoot anything like he can.

I'd always inflict the range mods on anyone shooting. Double for long and extreme. But you get no minus for shooting from cover, a +2 for shooting from a supported prone (or similar) position (+1 supported kneeling etc), and allow aiming up to the skill when braced and prone.

If you have a fancy laser rangefinding computer driven scope then clever things can happen, assuming that using the laser rangefinder doesn't get you smothered in countefire when the target detects it.
Fortune
So how do you handle Vision Magnification then? Especially for the shorter ranged firearms.
Kesslan
Also on the subject of firing from the shoulder, thats not only realistic, it's quite possible. Though at extreme range you'd sure as hell notice scope wavering compared to being prone. The prone position is by far the most stable (and thus why it's the most used for ANY long range shooting involving rifles of any type).

However firing from a proper kneeling stance you can hit just fine, and it's not much of a streatch to pop off a shot or two even from standing. There are very specific stances for firing rifles at range. Prone being the easiest, and standing being the hardest accuracy wise.

Again though that does not make it impossible. Also close range 'ranged combat' with a sniper rifle is really no harder than with an assault rifle. And in most cases isnt too much different from SMGs, except the latter is shorter, and wont get the barrel into awkward positions which is a real posiblity. (Infact there are certain stairwell designs that specifically came about to foil people with rifles comming up the stairs as opposed to going down the stairs. These are commonly seen in old 1800's and similar era blockhouses etc, and the starwell styles are still in use)

Melee combat is a whole other story. SMG and pistol due to their very short size might be abit more useful, where as assault rifles and sniper rifles are rather useless except perhaps as a club at that kinda range for the most part. So personally I'd be all for a large penalty at that kinda range.

Also keep in mind for sniping in SR4 or even SR3 you have smartlinks. Which have a handy dany automatically target lead on them and lots of fun things that cause you to get the bonuses in question.

Overall I would agree ranged combat in SR4 is alot easier than IRL, and certainly some range penalties would likely be overcome with a scope, though that really would depend on the quality of said scope. So perhaps you could reintroduce quality levels to magnification like SR3 has. Also dont forget to use penalties that make sense.

For example. If the attacker is running they get X penalty. Personally I apply that ifeither one is moving. It's harder to hit a running target than one thats standing still. If both are moving I'd double it. If the shooter is under cover (Something that should be applied to any sniper really, assuming their not just sitting out in plain view of course) theres another penalty, then theres penalties for cover afforded the target. Keep the invoronment in mind here, ubran you've got people, cars, desks, chairs etc, wildneress you have trees, bushes, rabid paracritter banbi deer that eat humans alive. Then there's lighting conditions, weather conditions such as rain, glare from the sun (Compensated by flare comp i"m sure) smoke etc.

SR4 at least as far as sniping or hell any extreme range shooting is concerned I think also really needs a circumstance bonus/penalty. I mean IRL you can accurately snipe a target beyond the maxium range of a rifle by arcing your shot. It's ALOT harder, but it CAN be done. SR4 this isnt possible short of a house rule. Also at extreme range, sure you might be able to zoom in all the way and see the guys nosehair but at that kinda range a few milimeters of shift will actually count for alot more distance.

So you may want to consider houseruling some stuff with sniping, but before you do that I strongly suggest you do abit of research on actual sniping, whats involved with it, and what is generally possible for a skilled sniper (In this instance some one with say 5+ in longarms I'd say)

It's one reason I never really disagreeed with sniper rifles being their own skill under SR3, even though their much the same to firing other rifles. The simple fact was their purpose is alot more specialized. So are the realities of shooting using a scope etc. Something you dont generally run into with an assault rifle
Ryu
I don´t get the problem with sniper rifles, but anyway...

- the dice-pool modificator for not firing prone is nice, but should be a function of range rather than a result of using a sniper rifle. Bad handling could make the weapon loose accuracy, but that should reduce the range categories and not incur a dicepool modifier. It will still be as good as an assault rifle of the same makeup.

- shadowrun is not an accounting game. Your characters should earn enough money to pay for much more than ammo, so increasing the cost of ammo will not stop them from using a sniper rifle. And availability does not have much effect on items that are regulary used and rather cheap (short test intervall and timely order).
Kesslan
To be honest I dont see the problem with sniper rifles either. My SR3 sniper used his on runs quite often, it got abused abit more than I'd have liked and I had to make some really hard shots. But still managed to pull it off usually. Sometimes with a good heap of KP usage.

And I mean personally if I saw some guy going down mainstreet with a sniepr rifle across his back or some obvious rifle case and I was a cop I'd sure as hell pull him over lisence or no lisence and see what he hell he thought he was doing with it.

I mean IRL now I can legally own a lisenced rifle or handgun. That doesnt mean I can just walk down some major street with it sticking out of my back pocket so to speak and not get asked some very hard questions.

Also keep inmind who the lisence is for. Corps rule the world of shadowrun. Just because you have a lisence with lonestar to carry a concealed handgun, doesnt mean Ares security is goign to let you waltz around in one of their malls with it. Because it's their turf and UCAS laws dont apply there.
toturi
I mean IRL now I can legally own a lisenced rifle or handgun. That doesnt mean I can just walk down some major street with it sticking out of my back pocket so to speak and not get asked some very hard questions.

Also keep inmind who the lisence is for. Corps rule the world of shadowrun. Just because you have a lisence with lonestar to carry a concealed handgun, doesnt mean Ares security is goign to let you waltz around in one of their malls with it. Because it's their turf and UCAS laws dont apply there

In the previous edition, there were rules governing the reaction of the cop. In SR4, there isn't, so it is up to you to decide on how the cop reacts. In my SRM games, as long as you have a license for the weapon when the cop stops you(if he even spots the gun in the first place), you are free to go.

Really? Since when did a place that an extraterritorial corp had the sec contract become itself extraterritorial? While KE has the contract for the mall, the mall owners themselves may not be extraterritorial.

Even if I do concede the point that UCAS laws do not apply to places where a extraterritorial corp has a contract, then I'd simply apply for a Corporate Court license. Is a AAA/AA going to ignore a Corp Court license? Because every AAA/AA is under the purview of the CC and everywhere is the CC's turf.

Fortune
There are official 'laws' passed by the Corporate Court that specifically delineate what does and does not count as extraterritoial property. If I recall correctly, the compound must be self-contained (if not actually walled/fenced), and clearly marked as being extraterritorial, and exactly which Corp owns it. I also believe that there might be a minimum size for the compound, but I'm not sure about that.

I am sure that the local Stuffer Shack (pick any one outside of Aztlan) definitaly does not qualify as an extraterritorial holding of Aztechnology in any way whatsoever.
ElFenrir
I think some Sniper Rifle problems come from ''GMBMPTSS'' (Gm Barret Model Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome). When the Sniper rifles that were in the books or SS Catalogue were out back in the day, no problems. This beast comes out and becomes the bane of GMs across the globe, and well, at SA, 14D damage...

And i know GMs that are cringing for the day it comes back, while the players lie in wait.

Well, I had one character that had it...a licenced critter hunter. I have to say, there are times where i was so amazingly glad for it.

I dont have a problem with sniper rifles...but yeah, i dont picture them as guns that you run around combat with. I mean, they tend to be about as long as an average human, not the lightest things in the world, hard to conceal(except the Ranger Arms which is very sensitive), and tend to be looked down upon by law enforcement unless the person is licenced military.

I find just using those rules limits them. Ive had two characters total with Sniper rifles(my old critter hunter, and a weapons specialist, who just had the Walther, and in his background, has probably used it a total of three times.)

They are most definately speciality weapons, for those certain times. I never needed a houserule for them, i just used common sense in case by case scenarios(aka, the party sammie takes one with him to every combat.)

When you think about it, like many folks are saying, a fully equipped AR is much more effective. Shock pad, gas vent 3, underbarrel grenade launcher, smartlink...and you can do it cheaper, nearly half price,than the price of any sniper rifle! being only restricted, its a muuch more powerful response. Load with ammo of choice(hello, ExEx), and its insane.

With the description above, id be happy your players are using sniper rifles instead. biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
Of course the Stuffer Shack is extraterritorial. Because if it wasn't then I wouldn't be able to have an grizziled cashier say "You're in Stuffer Shack now, boy; shoplifting is a hangin' crime."
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (ElFenrir)
I mean, they tend to be about as long as an average human [...]

Or, if you aren't playing an anime game, about as long as the average dwarf, 20cm longer than the average assault rifle.

Still definitely specialty weapons, and not something I've ever had a problem with. Of course, I house rule firearms and combat quite extensively.
ElFenrir
As for above, i recall reading that was the streetspeak for the Barret Model. (i think it went fraggin thing is long as i am tall)

And ive seen some military issue sniper 'rifles' that are gigantic. Then again, i think these go past the realm of 'rifle'...
Ryu
Three characters in our group possess sniper rifles. None of those have seen use outside a shooting range.

If you want to limit the larger weapons, to it the "soft" way by bringing up encumbrance and police reactions. People who carry a legal hunting weapon while going to the mall will be questioned. We often limit ourselves to SMGs because anything larger is hard to hide on a motorbike.

On the guards with sniper-rifles: I´d like that! No suppressive fire, no wide salvos. Reaction+dodge+running. No shoot-outs forced on me. Nice!
Austere Emancipator
The semi-automatic .50 BMG M107 Barrett could be considered gigantic at 1.45 meters, but it's still significantly shorter than the average human. A bullpup Barrett, like the M121 was in SR3, would be closer to 1.3 meters long. Some anti-material rifles in the .50 BMG + range are 1.7 meters or longer, but those are much closer to what SR tends to call "Assault Cannons" than "Sniper Rifles".

The comparison to .50 BMG weapons seems pretty silly overall. These guns do less damage than the "Elephant Gun", are partly defeated by heavy body armor, and aren't effective beyond 1km or against APCs. Not that that'd make 10x (!) ammo cost any less stupid.
X-Kalibur
Personally, I hope Arsenal has an Anti-material rifle listed in it. Not because I want to use one, I just want to see the rules they come up with for it.
kzt
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Not that that'd make 10x (!) ammo cost any less stupid.

IRL, elephant gun ammo costs $75 per round.

That was for a 'something huge' nitro express round. The guy I was talking to about this had a trainee he was working with this who bought a case of 1000 to prepare for his African safari., along with the monstrously expensive double rifle to shoot it with. It tended to make the shooter punchdrunk after you shot a fairly small number of rounds fairly rapidly.
Austere Emancipator
Sure there are freak calibers out there, and some specialty ammunition types are pretty expensive. But .50 BMG, which is what I was talking about, isn't one of those. 100 rounds of M33 Ball costs $250 - $300 where I'm from. (That's easily 10 times as much as 9x19mm FMJ, to be sure, but if SR3 is anything to go by SR4 has got its ammo prices much closer to .50 BMG levels than 9x19mm to begin with.)
Lord Ben
.500/465 Nitro Express costs about $70 per bullet from what I've found. But mostly because the casing is rare. You can reload it for the cost of slugs and powder...
jervinator
Part of the issue is the depiction of Sniper Rifles in SR4. Granted, it's nowheres near as bad as SR3, but that is a separate issue. And I think Clyde hit the nail right on the head in certain respects.

The problem isn't damage itself, but one of exploiting the higher AP of a Sniper rifle while avoiding the exorbitant ammo costs and encumbrance of a full-auto weapon or the many issues of a Panther. I have no problem with a long-range shooter with an Image Magnification scope executing Take Aim actions for a few turns before drilling somebody in the head from half a mile away.

Part of my problem is one of a lack of internally consistent logic within the firearms rules. As previously stated, many sniper rifles are merely accurized sport or assault rifles. Following the logic would also grant the Hammerli 620S Light Pistol a better AP as it's a light pistol with enhanced range characteristics.

A Sniper Rifle's extended range can't really be used without a steady rest as even the smallest twitch can send the bullet of far enough that it's no better than a sport rifle; if it could then the two would have more similar range brackets. (The Hammerli is immune to this; the ranges are too short.)

Or is it that the AP and range are due to use of a larger round? The damage and AP of the Walther MA-2100 are the same as the Ultimax HMG. If so, I wouldn't want to fire that from the shoulder unless I were a Troll or had a damn good muzzle brake (Gas Vent 2). But HMGs have shorter ranges than Sniper rifles so there must be something else. Besides, HMGs are not normally hip-fired; they are mounted, use a gyro harness, or are otherwise braced.
Lord Ben
How have they been abused ingame? Lots of things don't make sense when you compare rules to RL. So what's the IG problem. Are your PC's having running gunbattles from 1KM away?
jervinator
Turning around and using them in the same manner as any other rifle is an issue. While smacking people with the butt of an AK-97 might not cause problems, they don't have floating barrels to worry about. One good whack to a sniper rifle should at the very least knock it's alignment and sights off enough to reduce it's range to that of a Sport Rifle... unless it's a weapon that's mean to come apart (SM-4) in which case it's worse.

Another is the armor-piercing ability with no apparent rational. The PJSS Elephant Rifle has a high enough DV to effectively punch through armor, but it has a pitiful ammo capacity.

Another is getting much of the goodness of an Assault Cannon while getting 22.5 shots for the price of one AC shell and not having any problem getting the stuff. The money itself isn't the issue; it's the principle. Higher damage plus sub-MOA ballistics should cost a little more and be a little harder to find; kind of like a Ferrari compared to a Ford.

Could a Dwarf shoulder-fire a gun longer than they are, or would it be unwieldy for them?
Lord Ben
Yeah, but I meant ingame abuses. Are your PC's using them as clubs? Any gun not meant to be a club would potentially suffer breakage. The rules dont' say your gun breaks if you hold a powered door open with your sporting rifle while everyone crawls underneath but good players wouldn't complain.

In my experiences as a resourceful gun-bunny able to successfully twinky out nearly any game system the sniper gun isn't broken. It may not fit someones defined mold of how sniper rifles should be used, but that doesn't make them mechanically broken.
jervinator
I was speaking of in game abuses!

As for the other part... it'd be nice to know the logic that led to this dilemma in the first place. Why couldn't they just shlep around HMGs? *sigh*
Crusher Bob
Sinper rifles are can still put up with plenty of abuse. Sure you can't beatsomeone to death with them and still expect them to shoot perfectly after that, but the 'look at them funny and they break' is not true at all.

To quote TBoT (speaking about the Accuracy International AE)

My friend brianksain went to a Sniper School where they demonstrated this rifle and the instructor held it by the barrel as he talked and threw it against the concrete on the butt.

The rifle would bounce about a foot high and he would catch it by the barrel and do it again and again.

He then laid down and shot a 1/4 inch group with it. These rifles can take a beating and keep on ticking.
Lord Ben
I don't see how ammo costing 1 per shot instead of 10 is going to break the game. The thread is about balancing sniper rifles, yet nobody has posted any examples of a broken game. Just various things of how they con't conform to peoples expectations. IE, they break easier or cost more. Yet if you look at the RAW for sniper rifles the sniper rifles are balanced fine. Higher damage with other limiting downsides.

Lord Ben
The sawed off elephant gun pistol loaded with EXEX in a quick draw holster my Orc Street Sam weilds might possibly be broken mechanically, but sniper rifles are fine.
Marmot
People may just be a little disappointed that the glory days of dikoted sniper rifles with katanas mounted on the bayonet lugs aren't here anymore and so they really have to stretch for examples of sniper rifle 'imbalance'.
Lord Ben
Apparently in SR3 before I joined the current group one of the players managed to make a SA/BF/FA panther cannon for his Troll... And armor spell gave mages a barrier rating. So he was the only one that could kill the GM's npc's... ghey.
Kesslan
QUOTE (toturi)

Also keep inmind who the lisence is for. Corps rule the world of shadowrun. Just because you have a lisence with lonestar to carry a concealed handgun, doesnt mean Ares security is goign to let you waltz around in one of their malls with it. Because it's their turf and UCAS laws dont apply there

In the previous edition, there were rules governing the reaction of the cop. In SR4, there isn't, so it is up to you to decide on how the cop reacts. In my SRM games, as long as you have a license for the weapon when the cop stops you(if he even spots the gun in the first place), you are free to go.

Really? Since when did a place that an extraterritorial corp had the sec contract become itself extraterritorial? While KE has the contract for the mall, the mall owners themselves may not be extraterritorial.

Even if I do concede the point that UCAS laws do not apply to places where a extraterritorial corp has a contract, then I'd simply apply for a Corporate Court license. Is a AAA/AA going to ignore a Corp Court license? Because every AAA/AA is under the purview of the CC and everywhere is the CC's turf.

I wasnt saying that if they had the contract. But if they actually OWNED the mall. It's one thing to have a contract to provide security. It's a whole other deal to actually be the corp that owns the mall.

There -are- corp specific malls afterall that are very much part of that corps property and thus any corp specific laws are therin applicable. Look at weaponworld. They dont allow you to take any guns in. From what I understood of the whole steup they didnt even really get protrayed as even caring if you had a lisence, just that you turn over any weaponry like a coat check, and you get your stuff back (As well as any items you purchase) on your way out.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (jervinator)
But HMGs have shorter ranges than Sniper rifles so there must be something else.

The game designers like the idea of "HMG"s that are only slightly heavier than LMGs and that can be lugged around even by humans without too much trouble, so they've made them very weak. It's not a good idea to use them as an example of a .50 BMG-range weapon.

Consider the standard sporting rifle as something similar to .308 Winchester, the PJSS ~.458 Winchester and the Walther MA-2100 ~.338 Lapua, if it helps. That would justify increased range (up to 1200-1500 meters), a damage rating in between PJSS and the Ruger 100 and an AP value greater than either.
Kesslan
QUOTE (jervinator)
Part of the issue is the depiction of Sniper Rifles in SR4. Granted, it's nowheres near as bad as SR3, but that is a separate issue. And I think Clyde hit the nail right on the head in certain respects.

The problem isn't damage itself, but one of exploiting the higher AP of a Sniper rifle while avoiding the exorbitant ammo costs and encumbrance of a full-auto weapon or the many issues of a Panther. I have no problem with a long-range shooter with an Image Magnification scope executing Take Aim actions for a few turns before drilling somebody in the head from half a mile away.

Part of my problem is one of a lack of internally consistent logic within the firearms rules. As previously stated, many sniper rifles are merely accurized sport or assault rifles. Following the logic would also grant the Hammerli 620S Light Pistol a better AP as it's a light pistol with enhanced range characteristics.

A Sniper Rifle's extended range can't really be used without a steady rest as even the smallest twitch can send the bullet of far enough that it's no better than a sport rifle; if it could then the two would have more similar range brackets. (The Hammerli is immune to this; the ranges are too short.)

Or is it that the AP and range are due to use of a larger round? The damage and AP of the Walther MA-2100 are the same as the Ultimax HMG. If so, I wouldn't want to fire that from the shoulder unless I were a Troll or had a damn good muzzle brake (Gas Vent 2). But HMGs have shorter ranges than Sniper rifles so there must be something else. Besides, HMGs are not normally hip-fired; they are mounted, use a gyro harness, or are otherwise braced.

Actually short range or not handguns IRL suffer from the -exact- same problems as sniper rifles at long/extreme range. Except its even worse with a handgun because even bracing it two handed, you dont generally have a proper rest for the gun itself. Slap a laser guide on a pistol some time and try to use it on the range. It's useless for actual aiming. It's only use at that point is purely for quick reflex shots because the dot shows your basically 'on target'. But your overall accuracy still goes right out the window unless you use the sights.

As for the damage of sniper rifles being higher, part of it is the longer barrel, part of it is the bigger round, some part the rifling, and some of it might well be just that realistically part of the rounds design. Also modern sniper rifles are no doubt built to a far higher specification than an ordinary rifle. They HAVE to be able to take a fair bit of abuse and still fire accurately. Scopes of course are still pretty fragile, but any decently built gun can take overall alot of abuse and keep working. I wouldnt be at all supprised if infact on average a military sniper rifle sees far more overall environemental abuse than any other weapon. And overall sniper rifles are just better designed/built hunting rifles. The orrigional sniper rifles were infact just that. Hunting rifles with a scope.

It wasnt even untill WWII that any military (In this case the Nazi's) had a proper 'sniper school'. Snipers had been used before yes, even sniper units formed. But almost all of them were promptly disbanded and labled as 'useless' afterwards. WWII started to change that thinking, and subsequent wars went on to ultimately prove that a sniper is every bit as valuable (if not more so) as any other unit.

The average sniper rifle uses a reasonably large (but common) rifle caliber. I mean IRL you also have 'match' grade rounds that are supposedly far more accurate (and their also a hell of alot more expensive) than normal rounds. Personally I dont see how the hell this actually can be, but you certainly seem to get alot less misfires with them which for me is more than enough reason to use them in an actual combat weapon.

So seeing a few runners running round using them in a run isnt really a bad thing. And it's hardly 'abusing' the system. Even for what ever reason a dikoted sniper rifle isnt much (Bit of a waste really as it does nothing for the weapon, maybe make it abit more duaralbe?) and dikoting the rounds well.. maybe thats another story wink.gif

If you really find it an issue? Send them on a run where its all tight quarters. Or somewhere where you cant just port around a sniper rifle thats likely as long as their leg. If their -still- inventive enough to find a way, ok fine. But long guns (Rifles, shotguns etc) still have issues with getting caught up on things that an SMG or handgun doesnt in confined quarters.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (jervinator)
But HMGs have shorter ranges than Sniper rifles so there must be something else.

The game designers like the idea of "HMG"s that are only slightly heavier than LMGs and that can be lugged around even by humans without too much trouble, so they've made them very weak. It's not a good idea to use them as an example of a .50 BMG-range weapon.

Consider the standard sporting rifle as something similar to .308 Winchester, the PJSS ~.458 Winchester and the Walther MA-2100 ~.338 Lapua, if it helps. That would justify increased range (up to 1200-1500 meters), a damage rating in between PJSS and the Ruger 100 and an AP value greater than either.

I think part of the 'increased range' of a sniper rifle also comes from the inerhent accuracy. And yes I realize machine guns can be as accurate, I once had a co-worker who was an ex sniper and used to pot guys by hand loading a .50 cal MG with a single round. (Infact such a practice is why he was no longer in the armed forces, one of the rounds backfired, blew up the gun and took out a nice big chunk of his leg)

I mean try not to read too much into the SR4 system and instead remember why it was made the way it was. To keep things relatively simple. Alot of the stuff that poitns at 'well the rules let you do this' or 'the rules dont cover that!' is because it's not a 'basic every day occurance' in SR. It may be specifically with your group for what ever reason and it might well be they'll relase 'advanced rules' to cover stuff like tha in the future.

But overall the system is ment to be quick and simple. And the general idea is that an MG burst firing or going full auto isnt as accurate (NOt to mention has a far greater spread) in a game as a sniper rifle is a valid one. Throw in the ranges. Those are technically 'effective' range. A bullet doesnt stop jsut cause yoru target is 1 foot past 'extreme range'. IRL yoru shto would still likely hit the guy and at the very least come damn close, if you aimed main body mass you'd definately get a hit, just abit lower down is all.

But very few RPGs that I've seen cover shooting past 'max range' on any gun. Most GMs (And I include myself in this as I do allow it) will still let a hit count but maybe reduce the damage abit or soemthing when a round goes past extreme (Notto mention make the shot abit more difficult depending on just how far past max range it is). Infact the only RPG I can think of that -might- do this is Heavy Gear. I dont recall if it actually does or the GM (Being a realist/IRL Military guy himself) had an HR bout it. Been ages since I played.

Simple fact is IRL it's very possible, but in game you ultimately have to put some sort of 'max range' in. Because no matter waht you do IRL everything has a maximum reasonable range where you can still hit something at.
Marmot
QUOTE (Kesslan)
The average sniper rifle uses a reasonably large (but common) rifle caliber. I mean IRL you also have 'match' grade rounds that are supposedly far more accurate (and their also a hell of alot more expensive) than normal rounds. Personally I dont see how the hell this actually can be, but you certainly seem to get alot less misfires with them which for me is more than enough reason to use them in an actual combat weapon.

So seeing a few runners running round using them in a run isnt really a bad thing. And it's hardly 'abusing' the system. Even for what ever reason a dikoted sniper rifle isnt much (Bit of a waste really as it does nothing for the weapon, maybe make it abit more duaralbe?) and dikoting the rounds well.. maybe thats another story

For the record, match ammo isn't 'more accurate'. They're simply produced in individual lots in as close a manner as possible to each other (grains of gunpowder used, weight, pressure exerted on the bullet when mating it with the casing, etc.) with premium materials so that they perform as much like each other as possible. It isn't really accuracy, more like 'well one bullet did this with the settings I had on my rifle, so this next bullet should do almost the same (all other conditions being the same)'.

Using them as normal ammo is possible, but if you're going to spray and pray with those rounds, it seems like an absolute waste. Pearls before swine and all that. The general use for match is competition and sharpshooting, where repeatable accurate fire is fore.

Now, as for the dikoted rifle thing, I was making a lame attemp at the old SR practice of dikoting anything fit to be dikoted. As someone said, this thread mentions an imbalance issue but nobody has really brought one up. It's all personal preference conflicts.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Marmot)
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 7 2006, 01:50 AM)

So seeing a few runners running round using them in a run isnt really a bad thing. And it's hardly 'abusing' the system. Even for what ever reason a dikoted sniper rifle isnt much (Bit of a waste really as it does nothing for the weapon, maybe make it abit more duaralbe?) and dikoting the rounds well.. maybe thats another story

For the record, match ammo isn't 'more accurate'. They're simply produced in individual lots in as close a manner as possible to each other (grains of gunpowder used, weight, pressure exerted on the bullet when mating it with the casing, etc.) with premium materials so that they perform as much like each other as possible. It isn't really accuracy, more like 'well one bullet did this with the settings I had on my rifle, so this next bullet should do almost the same (all other conditions being the same)'.

Using them as normal ammo is possible, but if you're going to spray and pray with those rounds, it seems like an absolute waste. Pearls before swine and all that. The general use for match is competition and sharpshooting, where repeatable accurate fire is fore.

Now, as for the dikoted rifle thing, I was making a lame attemp at the old SR practice of dikoting anything fit to be dikoted. As someone said, this thread mentions an imbalance issue but nobody has really brought one up. It's all personal preference conflicts.

Indeed and my intention was not to imply that match ammo was in anyway shape or form 'more accurate' the simply fact is that I've met alot of shooters that seem to be under the simple belief that they shoot more accurately when they use match grade ammo.

Personally I dont belive it makes any noticeable difference if in someway or other it infact does make a difference at all. I just consider them on the whole as a 'more reliable' munition type. As opposed to say, the bargain basement cheapo rounds. SInce I've used both and I find the latter missfires alot where as I dont think I've yet had a misfire with match grade ammo. But then it's held to a higher production standard than el cheapo rounds. (Thus also why its more expensive)
Austere Emancipator
Match grade ammunition can certainly have a noticeable effect on the most common measure of accuracy, group size. Compare the results in these three tests, for example. After all, consecutively fired bullets impacting close to each other is pretty much the definition of accuracy in a small arm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012