Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New SR4 Errata
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Fortune
The newest Errata for 4th Edition Shadowrun can be found in a pdf file here.
Konsaki
“To learn or improve a skill or skill group, the character
must succeed in an Extended Intuition + skill Test, with a
threshold equal to the new skill rating x 2 and an interval of 1
week (1 month for skill groups). A teacher can add bonus dice
to this test (see Using Instruction, p. 123).”

Ouch, thats going to slow down alot of games if people play with that. Makes instructors way more valuable in the long run. Burn a few thousand Nuyen for a faster skill increase...
Jaid
wow... did rigging via the jumped in method ever get screwed.
RunnerPaul
I'd say my favorite change in the v1.5 Errata would be the fact that Manafesting characters/spirits are no longer vulnerable to mana-based spells/powers that are cast from the physical plane. That was a sore spot in the targeting rules the one thing that broke the symmetry of being able to fling your mojo at someone if they can fling their mojo at you.

By eliminating being able to hit a Manafester from the physical with a mana effect, the metaphysical models become cleaner, and you avoid all sorts of ugly questions like how to apply the effect of counterspelling. (For those of you who remember late-SR2 era debates about FAB filled whiffle bats and the resulting metaphysical questions, the manifesting problem wasn't that bad, but it was certainly could play in the same league.)

The changes to the stats on the ammo types are interesting, but I haven't sat down to do the math to see how much it'll change the feel of each type yet.

One thing that I was expecting to see, but didn't, was highlighting of the changed text on p.228 where they took the line "Simrigs (both worn and implanted) and cranial commlinks also contain sim modules" from the first printing, and changed it, dropping "and cranial commlinks" from the subsequent printings. Unfortunately, the change only occurred in the print versions, it somehow got missed when they updated the PDF version, and was never called out in the last errata.

When asked for clarification, Adam did say here on Dumpshock that the change was intentional, and would be listed in the next issued errata, but it wasn't. I've already emailed Rob and Adam, asking them what was up with that. Who knows, they may turn around tomorrow and put out a v1.5.1 errata, but that's not really their style.
Cain
I'm glad to see one of the suggestions I mentioned implemented. Namely, adding a sane limit on the teamwork tests. Instead of adding arcane rules to agents, this simply and neatly solves the Million-Agent Army problem, plus any similar tricks that might be developed.
Protagonist
Last session in my game my friends and I had a massive round of joking about the low price of the Sea Nymph silly.gif Shame it got corrected nyahnyah.gif
Zen Shooter01
I have SR4 in PDF from DrivethroughRPG.com. If I download a new copy, will this errata be in it?
Adam
No. An announcement will be made when those files are updated, which will coincide with the Fourth Printing, which, now that the errata is finalized, will be in progress very shortly.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Adam)
No. An announcement will be made when those files are updated, which will coincide with the Fourth Printing, which, now that the errata is finalized, will be in progress very shortly.

Is there any chance that the p.228 change can be added to the errata before the PDFs are updated? The second and third printings already had this change, I'd just like to see 1.5 Errata, 1.5 PDF and fourth printing all match up on this issue.
Chandon
ZOMG! They fixed ammo. No wai!

If I understand correctly...

Flechette is +2/+5 (Impact)
Explolosive is +1/+0
ExEx is +1/-1
Gel is +0/+2 (Impact)

That's mind boggling. APDS is really good now, and ExEx is only the best ammo by a small and reasonable margin that's appropriate to its high monetary cost!
knasser

"Neither Stun nor Physical damage resulting from drain can be healed by magic."

Well that's going to reduce the posting count on Dumpshock by at least 34%. wink.gif

I'm glad we can lay that one to rest! smile.gif

Radius of area effect spells based on Force, not Magic attribute. That's interesting as I never even knew that was going to be an errata. I think that's good.

And the big news - Flechette is fixed! biggrin.gif

Can't wait to get my update from DriveThruRPG. smile.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Cain @ Dec 7 2006, 04:59 AM)
I'm glad to see one of the suggestions I mentioned implemented.  Namely, adding a sane limit on the teamwork tests.  Instead of adding arcane rules to agents, this simply and neatly solves the Million-Agent Army problem, plus any similar tricks that might be developed.

Actually, I mentioned this as the author's intended limiter that wasn't included in the original write up in reply to one of your rants. And, I did say at the the time that we'd be including it in the errata (though in fact it was already in at the time). IIRC You dished my solution as a fix while griping that there wasn't a simple answer to the issue, that the problem was cascading and ultimately a fatal flaw to the SR4 system.

Well that's going to reduce the posting count on Dumpshock by at least 34%.

I did clarify this when Street Magic came out with the reference to Drain in Tweaking the Rules. This was our intention all along. You will also notice the Spirits and Remote Services contradiction in the core book was fixed.

Radius of area effect spells based on Force, not Magic attribute. That's interesting as I never even knew that was going to be an errata. I think that's good.

We wanted to address the issues with indirect spells and area effects that have been causing problems to people - the obvious ones and the less obvious ones - the FAQ and errata adjust both.
Ophis
QUOTE (Konsaki)
“To learn or improve a skill or skill group, the character
must succeed in an Extended Intuition + skill Test, with a
threshold equal to the new skill rating x 2 and an interval of 1
week (1 month for skill groups). A teacher can add bonus dice
to this test (see Using Instruction, p. 123).”

Ouch, thats going to slow down alot of games if people play with that. Makes instructors way more valuable in the long run. Burn a few thousand Nuyen for a faster skill increase...

Youch. I may use my ref powers to make that less horrific. I like having some training rules but those intervals!!! Nice to have instruction actually helpful though... I may just shift the intervals down to 1 day and 1 week, or reduce the threshold to new rating.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ophis)
Youch. I may use my ref powers to make that less horrific. I like having some training rules but those intervals!!! Nice to have instruction actually helpful though... I may just shift the intervals down to 1 day and 1 week, or reduce the threshold to new rating.

Yet, the Instruction skill still has the only 2:1 success to bonus dice ratio in the book, making it pretty much useless.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Ophis)

Yet, the Instruction skill still has the only 2:1 success to bonus dice ratio in the book, making it pretty much useless.

My thinking, which is flawed sometimes, is that the 2:1 only comes into effect when you have another shadowrunner training you. If you hire someone or download a tutor program, which is more likely of the two, you get the full rating to your dicepool.
hobgoblin
hrmf, with all the changes in this errata ill have to print it out and keep it in the book. its altering some very fundamental parts...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Konsaki)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 7 2006, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (Ophis)

My thinking, which is flawed sometimes, is that the 2:1 only comes into effect when you have another shadowrunner training you. If you hire someone or download a tutor program, which is more likely of the two, you get the full rating to your dicepool.

The 2:1 ratio is inherent to the use of Instruction, no matter who uses it.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Chandon)

Explolosive is +1/+0
ExEx is +1/-1
Gel is +0/+2 (Impact)

That's mind boggling. APDS is really good now, and ExEx is only the best ammo by a small and reasonable margin that's appropriate to its high monetary cost!

It would be a good idea to doublecheck all those weapons using Flechette as default, too, as the code for Flechette changed...
Serbitar
All in all, a very good errata.
The only thing that is missing is TM balancing and Decrytion Thresholds. Apart from that, almost all the big issues have been addressed.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 7 2006, 05:11 AM)
QUOTE (Chandon @ Dec 7 2006, 08:38 AM)

Explolosive is +1/+0
ExEx is +1/-1
Gel is +0/+2 (Impact)

It would be a good idea to doublecheck all those weapons using Flechette as default, too, as the code for Flechette changed...

Edit: Woops forgot the AM-CMDT

Yeah the AP at the very least needs to be adjusted and i have to wonder about the slivergun now. Because its stating damage as 8P(f) course it could be because it's effectively a 'special' flechete since it's really firing a single spike (as opposed to a cluster of flechettes)the DV modifier is higher.

So you'd have to doublecheck the following weapons:
Ares Viper Slivergun
Remington Roomsweeper /w Flechettes
Remington 990 /w flechettes
Mossberg AM-CMDT

only 4 guns really so it's not such a big deal
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Kesslan)

And the Reacor Sting-
Kesslan
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 7 2006, 12:22 PM)

And the Reacor Sting-

Bugger. Oh well so it's 6 guns.

Ah well all these revisions will teach me to stop buying the hardcopy untill the bout of revisions is actually finished.
Deva
I don't want to try to correct errata, but isn't the third sentence of Flechette Rounds (p. 313) originally: "Flechette rounds raise the DV of weapons by +2." nyahnyah.gif

Also, the old "flechette codes are already included in damage and AP" weapons (Remington Roomsweeper and 990) were already calculated wrong by AP section. So with these corrections I really don't know should they state AP as +2 (not changing), +4 (as in my calculation: -1 + 5 = +4) or +5 (just adding +3 to +2).

It could just be that Remington just makes armor friendlier weapons (as non of the other weapons have flechette codes and standard ammo codes).

Please don't shoot the messenger. smile.gif

Edit: Shoudn't all these ammunition changes also be made to p. 314? I know it's stupid question, but..
knasser
QUOTE (Synner)
Well that's going to reduce the posting count on Dumpshock by at least 34%.

I did clarify this when Street Magic came out with the reference to Drain in Tweaking the Rules. This was our intention all along. You will also notice the Spirits and Remote Services contradiction in the core book was fixed.

I realise this and play this way. But every three weeks, a new poster comes here and bemoans that the mage character is trouncing everything he throws against the party and on investigation, we always find that he's double overcasting and then healing the drain up again.

Least it seems like it. wink.gif

It's great to have these errata, and especially with a lovely fat FAQ at the same time. It's especially nice knowing that I'm going to get a shiny replacement PDF with it all integrated, too. smile.gif

No RPG has as helpful devs as SR4, I think. biggrin.gif

-K.
ChicagosFinest
keeping with the holiday spirit too in the FAQ and errata
Lividicus
Opps wrong thread sorry.
Moon-Hawk
Oh I'm so happy. I'm such a freaking geek, but this whole thing makes me so happy.
w00t!
Ryu
@Deva: All weapons with listed flechette code loose their inherent AP-modifier, so play them as +5 AP. Note that the Ares Slivergun gains damage +3 instead of +2, so it seems to be a conscious decision.
ElFenrir
Not a bad errata at all. I think some ref-powers will be used on my part about the training as well, tho, i dont want things to slow down TOO much...perhaps ill make the call to use this method to bring a skill above four.

The ammo is better balanced too....the ExEx now has a power that matches its availability. That was my big issue...APDS wasnt quite as good as ExEx in the old rules, yet had higher availibility. Now its more fitting, and APDS is now also a viable ammo type again.

Fletchettes are still good with these rules but not crazed. Against armored targets they have an issue, against unarmored, they are nasty, which is how i always pictured them.

I think the Gel took a real hit though. But i think it was also needed...the stun damage in the game tends to fill faster due to the Willpower factor, and the +2DV made people dropping unconsious left and right, which took them out of the fight as effectively as killing them. So its a good change, at any rate.

Jumped rigging nerf, tho...hmmm....no sir, i dont think i like it.
lorechaser
Very nicely done.

Thanks for the faq and errata all at once! It'll be nice to be able to post snarky replies to posts which read "Check the faq" and "Check the errata" wink.gif

And yeah, the ammo changes will (and are) generate some controversy, but I think overall there were more "What were they thinking?!?!" posts regarding ammo than anything else about them.

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
keeping with the holiday spirit too in the FAQ and errata

...yeah caught that too...HO HO HO
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Chandon)

Explolosive is +1/+0
ExEx is +1/-1
Gel is +0/+2 (Impact)

...bugger....(I like that word)

So Violet's going the dump the Racor Sting & Ares Viper (now I really can't wait for Arsenal so she can pick up a Salavette Guardian instead)

KK 4.3's going to only use Gel rounds as the special ammo in her Super Warhawks (no point in getting caught with EXEX now, being that it has an F legality)
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
So Violet's going the dump the Racor Sting & Ares Viper

Right now, weapons with flechette damage factored in weren't modified.
ShadowDragon
I like how some of my houserules made it into the errata lol
James McMurray
That's because they've been monitoring your games and taking notes.
ShadowDragon
Well it's about time they noticed the genius of my GMing style biggrin.gif
Chandon
QUOTE (Kesslan)
Because its stating damage as 8P(f) course it could be because it's effectively a 'special' flechete since it's really firing a single spike (as opposed to a cluster of flechettes)the DV modifier is higher.

The way I read this stuff, and the way I intend to run it, is that the listed weapon values were what you'd get after applying the old flechette modifiers. So the Ares Viper Slivergun really does have a higher (by one) base damage code than other heavy pistols, and one of the shotguns really does have an abnormal AP value depending on the ammo you use.

So... the way I'm going to handle this for my games is that Flechette ammo now simply has an AP value of +3 higher than it used to - and I'll modify all the flechette-only weapon lines by that amount.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Dec 7 2006, 07:47 PM)
So Violet's going the dump the Racor Sting & Ares Viper

...but they would still be subject to the +5 to Impact (I would think) which makes them pretty useless unless you intend to shoot up a formal dinner party or a swimsuit competition at a beauty pageant.

At least Gel rounds still rock.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...but they would still be subject to the +5 to Impact (I would think) which makes them pretty useless unless you intend to shoot up a formal dinner party or a swimsuit competition at a beauty pageant.

They're not that bad. They still give +2 DV, but now give +5AP impact. (I know you know, I'm summarizing)
So at swimsuit competitions they totally rock, because you don't add AP to nonexistant armor. Great. But what about every other situation?
Well, +2 DV is really good. Using impact armor instead of ballistic armor means the +5AP is really a lot more like +3AP, since impact armor is typically about 2 points lower than ballistic. So +2DV and +3(sort-of)AP means you're slightly more likely to be inflicting stun damage as opposed to physical than with regular ammo, but odds are you're still coming out one box of damage ahead of regular ammo.

It's not uber, but it's still a good ammo.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Dec 8 2006, 08:38 AM)
... which makes them pretty useless unless you intend to shoot up a formal dinner party or a swimsuit competition at a beauty pageant.

Which is pretty much their main purpose anyway. wink.gif

And it'd only be +3 AP to those particular weapons' listed stats.
Thanee
Not bad. I still like the double Impact Armor house rule against Flechette (instead of the +2 AP) better, though.

Bye
Thanee
Jaid
flechette is also good if you take aim to bypass armor wink.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Cain @ Dec 7 2006, 04:59 AM)
I'm glad to see one of the suggestions I mentioned implemented.  Namely, adding a sane limit on the teamwork tests.  Instead of adding arcane rules to agents, this simply and neatly solves the Million-Agent Army problem, plus any similar tricks that might be developed.

Actually, I mentioned this as the author's intended limiter that wasn't included in the original write up in reply to one of your rants. And, I did say at the the time that we'd be including it in the errata (though in fact it was already in at the time). IIRC You dished my solution as a fix while griping that there wasn't a simple answer to the issue, that the problem was cascading and ultimately a fatal flaw to the SR4 system.

You've mistaken my arguments. The one you're referring to is about the Longshot test. The teamwork test, you never mentioned a limiter onthat I can recall. Naturally, I can see how you'd get all the holes in SR4, and my consequent rants, confused; there's a awful lot of them.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Jaid)
flechette is also good if you take aim to bypass armor wink.gif

...the penalty for a called shot being -1 for each point of armour value doesn't make it worth it unless the attacker has a generous DP (15+).
James McMurray
I believe the point was that if you can drop their armor to 0 they won't get the +5 armor from the ammunition. That's a GM call though, unless the FAQ is clear on it.
Jaid
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Dec 7 2006, 09:19 PM)
I believe the point was that if you can drop their armor to 0 they won't get the +5 armor from the ammunition. That's a GM call though, unless the FAQ is clear on it.

how is that GM call?

it goes like so:

player: i shoot him where his armor doesn't cover.

GM: ok, since he's not getting his armor, the flechette AP mod does not apply.

i can't really see what other ruling the GM might use... i mean, by definition, you have just bypassed his armor. i suppose you could randomly just decide otherwise, but then you could just randomly decide that everyone can fly at double their running speed too, and i don't recall ever seeing that suggested as an option before.

[edit] *cough* how did that "roll damage" line get in there? biggrin.gif [/edit]
knasser
QUOTE (Jaid @ Dec 8 2006, 04:02 AM)

[edit] *cough* how did that "roll damage" line get in there? biggrin.gif [/edit]

*Points at Jaid and makes high-pitched keening noise* eek.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (James McMurray)

...I agree +5 modifier shouldn't come into play. However, the base armour of the target still does. For example, if the target is wearing an armoured jacket this reduces the DP by -6. If the attacker has a DP of around 12 (the usual case for most non-sammies since they have other things than just combat to spend BPs on) your DP is effectively reduced by 50% or worse if other penalties like range, cover, or vision mods come into play. Also, risk of a Glitch or Crit Glitch goes up as the DP goes down and the target's chances to dodge the shot altogether improve.

If I were running a straight Street Sam, I definitely would be using better ammo than flechette and a something other than a heavy pistol as my primary (with maybe the exception of a Super Warhawk w/APDS).
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Dec 7 2006, 04:38 PM)

They're not that bad. They still give +2 DV, but now give +5AP impact. (I know you know, I'm summarizing)
So at swimsuit competitions they totally rock, because you don't add AP to nonexistant armor. Great. But what about every other situation?
Well, +2 DV is really good. Using impact armor instead of ballistic armor means the +5AP is really a lot more like +3AP, since impact armor is typically about 2 points lower than ballistic. So +2DV and +3(sort-of)AP means you're slightly more likely to be inflicting stun damage as opposed to physical than with regular ammo, but odds are you're still coming out one box of damage ahead of regular ammo.

But couldn't shooting where the armor doesn't apply be harder for flechette ammo?
Lantzer
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Dec 7 2006, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Dec 7 2006, 04:38 PM)

But couldn't shooting where the armor doesn't apply be harder for flechette ammo?

It _could_ be harder, but Why?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012