Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some general security questions about hacking.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Lord Ben
I get the limited and false data. It's called the stealth program and the matrix perception handles it quite nicely.
Lord Ben
I can't say for sure I'm right. But nothing in the rules that people have quoted says that yet. I'm perfectly willing to change my views if some dev or some quote from the book says you can only do matrix perception tests on ARO's if you're logged into them.

It doesn't help that whoever wrote the book didn't give well defined terms. I personally think that "accessing a node" can mean just bringing it up on your screen to do a matrix perception test on it. It doesn't mean you "have access" to it.

If I sit down on a PC and start typing away I've "accessed" the system. But it doesn't mean I can actually log in. However I could tell what OS it's using, what the make/model is, etc.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Dec 12 2006, 10:30 PM)

If I sit down on a PC and start typing away I've "accessed" the system.  But it doesn't mean I can actually log in.  However I could tell what OS it's using, what the make/model is, etc.

????

You have logged onto the pc otherwise you would not even see a screen. Try to start windows/linux/Mac witout login to it. You will only see the login screen.

Maybe on some old windows versions the login is done automatically for you, but thats just an anonymous login wihtout a password, but a login nonetheless.
Kesslan
I think what he means is you'd be sitting at that login screen and your at least physically trying to do something to it. From that longin screen you can at least guess what OS it is (and normally its' very easy to tell).

HOWEVER. The thing I think Lord Ben is missing is the fact that ok, using that same analogy you cannot tell the following:

What programs that computer might verywell at that moment be running because some other user is logged into it. It is also quite possible to have multiple windows accounts running on a machine at the same time.

You cannot tell what version the OS is even. Sure you can tell oh! It's Windows XP! But is it SP1? SP2? What other security upgrades does it have/not have etc? You cant tell without further access to the system. You cant even tell who else is using that machine without further access.

It works the exact same way with comlinks. You cant tell what programs another person has simply by looking at the 'login screen' of their comlink. Sure maybe youc an pull up some basic data on them like you'd get on a webpage. But you cant do anythign else than that without actual user access. And to do that you have to effectively 'login' or in this case hack into their comlink etc.
Kesslan
Actually while I thought of it I figgured I'd best post this analogy to 'seeing' people's icons etc.

Immagine you are looking a book case. On all the shelves there are all sorts of books. You can tell what the basic subject of that book -supposedly- is, by looking at the spine and reading the information prestented there. Some, however might not have anythign written on the spine. This could be some one running under 'hidden mode' in a way. You can tell the book is there, but without further proding you cant tell anything else at all.

Now lets say I take an interest in 'Bixby the BTL using clown'. Odd title, odd looking persona. Hmm. lets see what this 'Bixby' is all about. So I reach to the bookshelf and pull down the book. I then look at the cover.

The cover would be the 'publicly available' information. Currently that is what i"m looking at but i cant actually yet see the actual interior of that book (THe programs etc). It may even have a picture of Bixby holding a hammer, but I dont know if this is just a prop, or an actual weapon Bixby has untill I dig deeper. And to do that I have to open the book and read the actual pages.

But wait! The book has a lock on it like a diary. WIthout the key (access rights) I cannot access the contents of this book. I can hold the book, i can examine it, and I can read what is on the outside, but I cannot read whats inside the book. Wel.. I have no key, so what else can I do? WEll I can try to break the lock (Hack in)! Excellent!

So now I take my trusty lockpick (Hacking program) apply it to the lock, and bingo! It easily pops off (Hacking attempt successful, you are now on the node with full access rights)

Now I can read through Bixby's entire file, I can see everything inside that is written about him, what programs he has, and hey look, part of the book is hollow, this Bixy person keeps a wad of cash in the hollow section of the book. YOINK! Mine now sucker! I then close the book, lock it back up, put it back on teh shelf and take off money in hand. Bixby however, since I'm such a great hacker, wont know the money is gone untill he actually checks the contents of the book himself.

EDIT: ALternatively Bixby could show up right as I'm poking through his book (I got spotted by the owner, agent what ever) and suddenly he and a friend attack me. Oh drek! Well I can still tak ethe money and run, but now people know some one's stolen Bixby's money and alarms are going off everywhere etc.
knasser

@Ben: It's mildly annoying that you keep saying the book doesn't contradict your position when I've posted two direct quotes that appear to say that everything that happens in the matrix happens within a node. I can even dig out more:

QUOTE (SR4 @ pg. 226)

A Reality Filter program translates a node’s VR simsense
sculpting (see Virtual Reality, p. 228) into the metaphor of your
choice. In order to determine which system’s metaphor domi-
nates, make an Opposed Test pitting Reality Filter + Response
versus the node’s System + Response. If the filter wins, your pre-
programmed paradigm overrides the node’s signals and you re-
ceive a +1 Response bonus while in that node. If the node wins, or
a tie results, its metaphor overwhelms the filter enough that you
suffer –1 Response while in the node.

Nothing about being in the matrix outside of a node. It is (as in my previous examples) assumed without question that you are in a node.

QUOTE (SR4 @ pg. 227)

Agents have their own built-in Firewall attribute, equal to
their Pilot rating. Agents use the Response attribute of whatever
node they are run on; this means that the attributes of an agent
operating independently may vary as it moves from node to node.

Again, the assumption that you go from node to node. By this, an agent cannot exist in between nodes. As I said, the implications of all of these examples is that there is no "in-between" nodes.

QUOTE (SR4 @ pg. 224)
For example, to intercept a comcall between a Mr.
Johnson and his lackey, you either need to compromise one of
their commlinks or gain access to the Matrix nodes that the
comcall passes through (which could be a challenge unto itself ).

In order to detect interaction between two users, it appears that you need to access the node that one of them is residing in. I would say that this is just as true for analysing what programs they are using.

I think the clinchers are in the quotes that I posted previously, but as you're adamant that these didn't apply, I thought I'd toss in a few more.

Anyway, the implications of being able to interact with personas in a node that you don't have access to are quite severe. How could anyone ever hide again? And it makes little logical sense to me. I don't have to break into the corporate network to see who is logged on and what they're doing? And if you can analyze someone and what they're running, then why not be able to analyze their communications or engage them in cyber-combat?

========

knasser
QUOTE (Serbitar)
Conclusions:

Personae connected to a node (who are thus "in" the node) can observe:
- interactions of other personae with the node
- interactions of personae run by the node with anything (even outside nodes)
- "protocol abuse" interactions (cybercombat) of two different personae "in" the node

What you can not observe:
- interactions (not protocol abuse) of two persona "in" the node (who are both run by other nods)
(because they are effectively in each others node and also in the node in question, but are sending their interactions through their separate connection)

Serbitar, I haven't quoted all of your post for readability, but there's some interesting stuff in there.

I would actually amend the second of your conclusions of what can be observed to interactions of personae run by that node or by a node that you currently access through which that persona's data trail passes. That would be subject to some, potentially heavy, analyse and decryption rolls mind you. This might be bringing too much RL understanding into the game though, as it opens the door to things like attacking someone's data trail to severe their persona. I think I would deal with that by saying the data trail can route around damage or interuptions, though, as the SR4 matrix is portrayed as a super-extensive mesh.

As to witnessing hackers breaking into other nodes, I would say that if there is a sequence of nodes, e.g. a drone (node A) subscribed to a security system (node B), then if a hacker had gained access to the security system and was busy hacking to get access to the drone (lets assume he wants to "jump in" rather than just issue commands from the security system node), then another persona in node B would see that persona sitting there and could analyse to work out what he was doing.

Getting back to Ben's scenario, I think the only way he could accomplish exactly what he wanted would therefroe to forbid direct connections between commlinks (which he could detect by sniffing traffic) and require everyone's interactions to go through the club node. Given the fluff about how people's commlinks interect all the time, that might be considered pretty intrusive, however. Imagine the resentment of two lovers who are forced to conduct their private erotic chat over the club's network where it can be snooped by all other patrons.

Nosy agents are still the way to go for this, IMO.
Lord Ben
Sure, but I think accessing the node can mean two different things. When you're walking down the street you don't log into the node for 5th street, then log into the node for 6th street, etc. You're just "online" using your access ID, etc. After all, if you're not "in the matrix" you're not going to get any messages or calls from teammates unless your signals overlap.

So if you're "online" and I'm "online" we'd be able to see each other along with matrix perceptions and all that.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Dec 13 2006, 11:39 AM)
You're just "online" using your access ID, etc.  After all, if you're not "in the matrix" you're not going to get any messages or calls from teammates unless your signals overlap.

Not quite. You're able to receive messages because:
"When you’re online (and when aren’t you?), your commlink is usually set to automatically link to your provider(s) so that all calls and messages are immediately forwarded to you. You can choose to cut this link and “run silent” in order to avoid the risk of someone tracing that link to your current whereabouts (meaning your messages will be stored until retrieved later)." p.214, SR4.

You're only able to receive calls by virtue of being connected to a node. While it's true that the connection to that service provider's node may hop from wireless node to wireless node as your meat body walks down the street, you're not actually directly connected to any those wireless nodes.
Lord Ben
You could view it that way. But I perfer to think of it as one all encompassing area where you can interact with lots of AR objects you could normally see. You could look at it my way or you could try to figure out as the DM who on the street is on what service provider, link their giant network of nodes all together and map out the matrix infrastructure.

When they say the matrix is complex and overlapping I read that as "you can all see each others ARO's, etc when you're online but how it actually works is not worth getting into". Others may choose to read it as we need to figure out which of the thousands of ISP's you're logged in through and hack into that ISP to make a matrix perception test on a person.

SR4 hacking is complex enough, boiling it down to the simplest explanation is the easiest way to run and play.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012