Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New FAQ online
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dread Polack
I see there's a new SR4 FAQ up at http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/faq.shtml

A couple new things to me (either because they were poorly explained, or I just missed them) were:
  • You are supposed to only aim grenades at people, not spots on the ground.
  • Same goes for indirect combat spells.
  • You officially can't heal physical drain magically.
  • Hacking cyberwear has been explained. Turns out it works the way I thought it would.
  • No cascading reduction in Response.
  • Actually, the whole Hacking FAQ is fairly enlightening.
  • Your hot sim +2 stacks with your Control Rig +2. Dang.
  • Jumped-in dice pools are nailed down.
  • Apparently unarmed drones are Rating 3, and armed drones are "security" vehicles, and thus default rating 4.
  • It would seem you get to fill your drone with free sensors up to it's capacity. Does this sound right to you?

Let's hear your thoughts.

Dread Polack
Konsaki
Little slow on the draw...
DireRadiant
Hey, give the guy a break, the original FAQ Release thread last had somethign posted to it 4 or 5 dayas ago is on page 2 of the current topics.

You actually have to go to page two to find it!
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Dread Polack)
I see there's a new SR4 FAQ up at http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/faq.shtml

To quote one of my former supervisors quoting Demolition Man, "Where have you been? Freeze Dried or doing hard time?"

• You are supposed to only aim grenades at people, not spots on the ground.

• Same goes for indirect combat spells.

But only if there are people who would get caught in the blast who might want to dodge. If no one's there, you're fine just tossing it at the ground. My solution? A bag of drugged-up devil rats wearing AR goggles.

• You officially can't heal physical drain magically.

That's been out there since Street Magic. The errata/FAQ just takes care of the people who put their fingers in their ears and chanted in a sing-song voice "La-La, I can't hear you! Not listening!"

• Actually, the whole Hacking FAQ is fairly enlightening.

I'll say.

And those were just two FAQ/Errata-related threads that I made myself. There have been, what almost a dozen total since last week?

(Note, Quote tags appear to be broken on preview. Don't know why.)
Edit:Broken after post as well.
Edit Edit: Found the problem.
Cold-Dragon
Actually Runner, my beef on the physical drain was that they tended to state 'physical damage' instead of drain in case of overcasting of some sort. It made it sound like it wasn't 'drain' as far as healing goes.

And I still say the fact it takes awhile to heal and you can't guarantee a full recovery keeps it relatively sane. nyahnyah.gif

But hey, it has been written, and thus is it judged. I'll just have to stick to my absorption options now.
Insomnia Bob
You can't aim grenades at the ground? Or, more specifically, fixed points that don't contain people?

Setting aside for a moment the raw insanity of only firing an indirect fire weapon at people, what happens when you need to take out a doorframe, or blow up a rickety shack? Or perhaps aim your grenade to attempt to hit multiple targets who don't have a guy standing in the dead middle of your intended blast effect?

Boo to that noise.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Insomnia Bob)
You can't aim grenades at the ground? Or, more specifically, fixed points that don't contain people?

Setting aside for a moment the raw insanity of only firing an indirect fire weapon at people, what happens when you need to take out a doorframe, or blow up a rickety shack? Or perhaps aim your grenade to attempt to hit multiple targets who don't have a guy standing in the dead middle of your intended blast effect?

Boo to that noise.

You can aim at them, it's just that everyones still rolls dice.

You can't using aiming at a fixed point to avoid having someone rolling the approriate effect and dodge dice.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Insomnia Bob @ Dec 13 2006, 06:19 PM)

Boo to that noise.

Fixed points that don't contain people are ok, so long as the actual blast radius of the grenade doesn't contain people either. Per the FAQ.

And if there are people, there doesn't have to be one guy dead center, just one guy who gets to be the lead dodger.

It's an attempt to fix something that didn't seem broken in the first place, seeing as how if you don't actually target someone, you don't get the damage boost from an accurate throw. You're sacrificing the ability to go from ruining someone's day to really ruining someone's day, and in exchange for that sacrifice, you get an easier throw.

As for indirect area effect combat spells, by not targeting a person, you're likely targeting an object, so object resistance thresholds come into play. Again, not broken.
Lord Ben
It'd work best to simply toss the grenade, roll successes, abort to a dodge and roll with a penalty because of the AOE weapon, and subtract successes.

It'd be like covering fire.
knasser
In my games, players have previously resolved the issue by ( a ) forcing the grenade down the target's trousers, ( b ) setting them on a long delay and planting them in multiples down toilets and ( c ) (I kid you not) pulling the pins on all of them and simply running at the opposition.

There's just something about grenades in my experience, that regresses even the most sensitive role-player to a beserk five-year old with the humour of De Sade.
kzt
QUOTE (knasser)
In my games, players have previously resolved the issue by ( a ) forcing the grenade down the target's trousers, ( b ) setting them on a long delay and planting them in multiples down toilets and ( c ) (I kid you not) pulling the pins on all of them and simply running at the opposition.

That's sort of clever. I just like to put motion sensors on them with a 3 second arming delay. Tends to slow down anyone chasing me a bit. . .
Kesslan
Actually yeah I"m sort of supprised, maybe we'll see motion sensitive explosives in Arsenal. I mean 2070's tech, you can put ultrasound vision in a pair of contact lenses.

SO why not a cheap motion sensor with X radius. Pull the pin have X time to plant the grenade then it goes 'live' anything that enters that radius afterwards risks setting the grenade off if they trip the motion sensor.

Bad thing is foc oruse you could put one behind an door and I can easily see that being used against PCs. And some of them at least, would definately complain about such tactics being used right back at them.
Ryu
A cheap sensor plus several hidden grenades detonated via AR...

@Knasser: It does not belong here either, but running the grenade towards the target is somehow not the intended purpose, is it? I might accept the idea for concussion grenades, but everything else seems suicidal.
knasser
QUOTE (Ryu)
@Knasser: It does not belong here either, but running the grenade towards the target is somehow not the intended purpose, is it? I might accept the idea for concussion grenades, but everything else seems suicidal.

biggrin.gif No - definitely not by the book grenade use. Player was outgunned, fancied a new character, decided he would take a bunch of them with him. Wasn't a single grenade incidentally. It was all of them!
SCARed
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Dec 13 2006, 06:31 PM)
As for indirect area effect combat spells, by not targeting a person, you're likely targeting an object, so object resistance thresholds come into play. Again, not broken.

are you REALLY sure about that? i am pretty convinced, object resistance has nothing to do with indirect combat spells (but surely with the direct ones).

when tossing a fireball you just make a ranged attack using your spellcasting+MAG (and any appropriate modifier - sight, cover, ...). thats it. target can dodge (rocks, conatiners or tiles of the ground won't biggrin.gif ) and if not dodging completly (remember the AOE-modiefier for area spells), it has to resist damage.
Dread Polack
You people think you're better than me?!?!?

To be clear, I'm only slow on the uptake. nyahnyah.gif Guess I took a week off from Dumpshock and didn't notice that the date listed for the FAQ was the 7th.

Personally, I think the grenade/indirect combat spell thing is dumb. I've instituted a house-rule that I stole from the HERO System. Grenades can either be aimed at a location, or a person. Even a regular dodge won't put you far enough from the blast to reduce damage, so anyone hoping to get out of the blast radius has to take a Full Defense action called "Dive for cover." The target rolls a Reaction+dodge test and dives 2 meters per hit away from the blast, thus taking reduced or no damage.

So far, I handle indirect combat spells like a firearm, and have had no problems.

Dread Polack
scapegoat
Do to a big msitake i made in one of our earlier playing sessions where i shot off a nade that ended up killing two of my good friends...we have been afriad to play with nades.
Kesslan
Yeah I would call any attempt to avoid an indirect weapon one of those things that calls for the full 'dive for cover' ful defence dodge too to be honest. Because thats exactly what your ass is goign to do unless your either:

A) Stupid
B) Some how dont notice the grenade
C) At least try to throw the grenade back
D) Dive on the grenade in a bid to save your buddies
E) I dont know why this option is here, but it seemed a good idea at the time.

As for tossing about grenades, yes.. you must be very careful with those at all times. I once had a VERY bad glitch that salsaed another PC once. I threw an aerodynamic hand grenade. These have a very large scatter radius.

This was a bad thing in this case.. a very bad thing.

THe grenade 'scattered' and did so, back towards us (woops) and in teh direction of the PC in question. It landed (going roughly by direction and the distance it travled) Almost right at his feet.

He didnt reach cover in time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012