Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermite, do your Shadowrunners use it?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kagetenshi
In other words, go gaseous (in part, though the carbon doesn't so much as melt). The fact that some bonds get broken is incidental.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
In other words, go gaseous (in part, though the carbon doesn't so much as melt). The fact that some bonds get broken is incidental.

~J

If you want to get technical.

Me, I say, "Ooooh, shiny, big burn!"
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 18 2006, 11:59 PM)

~J

If you want to get technical.

Me, I say, "Ooooh, shiny, big burn!"

...my demolitionist Leela used to call it "Shiny Bright".
Mortax
To rephrase something I saw on Buffy once:

Fire pretty, tree flammible.
SirBedevere
You mean some characters go on runs without thermite? In my playing group (especially my wife), it's SOP. eek.gif
Butterblume
Well, thermite bars are out of reach at character generation (SR4). I always want some wink.gif.

btw: I can't figure out what SOP means...
Austere Emancipator
Standing (or Standard) Operating Procedure.
Kagetenshi
I am teh slow.

~J
Butterblume
Thanks. There is always more to learn wink.gif.

I can't remember if it has come up before, what skill do you need for applying thermite?

It's not an explosive, but it's most likely still demolitions, is it not?
SirBedevere
Sorry Butterblume, I should have put the full text as well as the acronym. I always use Demolitions as the apropriate skill.
Butterblume
Oh, no, it's quite appropriate to use acronyms or standard abbreviations. That's what they're there for.
Most of the times, its pretty easy to figure them out, with a simple web search. This time, I apparently overlooked the first entry on wikipedia embarrassed.gif.
Fortune
Demolitions seems to me to be the right Skill to use for Thermite.
Kesslan
Pretty much Demolitions is the catch all for anything that goes boom, and any arson that is beyond either chucking some incindiary grenades around or soaking something with gas and setting it ablaze.

Thats actually how it seems to be with at least, so far, all the 'modern' RPGs I've ever played as well.
Shrike30
"Scattering" thermite so that it's not as big of a threat can be accomplished with something like a pushbroom, if you don't care about ever being able to use it again after the first couple of sweeps. Thermite doen't "burn" in the combustion-reaction kind of way at all... it's just an incredibly hot liquid metal. If you manage to scatter the unreacted fuel, you may be able to prevent whatever they were trying to accomplish by having put it there in the first place (say, preventing a safe from getting cut into by the thermite), but you aren't necessarily going to "put out" the thermite... you may only scatter it so that it's not effective. The big trick is going to be avoiding getting yourself spattered with the stuff in the process, especially if the reaction vessel is constructed in such a way that the thermite is spraying around some.

Thermite will go through wood in incredibly short order. It'll also go through carpeting and that silvery fire-retardant stuff that fire-resistant suits are usually made out of in incredibly short order, because it's not fire. I managed to put a pretty impressive hole in my old high school demonstrating this stuff, and the floorboards looked like someone had taken a shotgun to them.

For the record, magnesium is the classic thermite trigger, but potassium permangenate + glucose works too.
hyzmarca
First floor, I hope?
Wounded Ronin
Once a chemistry teacher made me strike phosphorous in a mortar and pestle and it burned my hand. It was comical.
Kesslan
Reminds me of back in grade 9. One of our chemistry teachers took some stuff that reacted rather badly with water and dumped a small chunk in a petri dish. I'd never seen anything so small make such a large bang before.

I cant for the life of me remember what the hell the stuff is called, but it's generally stored in kerosene or some similar liquid.

God it was such a great year. Our chem teacher was such a pyro made all sorts of things burn/explode
Kagetenshi
Anything along the left edge of the periodic table (Hydrogen excepted) generally does that.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Anything along the left edge of the periodic table (Hydrogen excepted) generally does that.

~J

Some things do it better than others.

It was probably elemental sodium; it is the classic chemistry lab demonstration alkali metal. Potassium is more powerful but storing it in kerosene is dangerous due to potential peroxide buildup over time.
Kesslan
Yeah. Was just so long ago I dont remember what it was.

Ahhh man I miss those days. Like when we had one iddiot almost blow out the whole new science wing cause the jack ass turned on all the gas valves. Fortunately some one noticed before it got sparked off and shut off the central tap and aired it out.
Mortax
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 29 2006, 12:20 AM)
I cant for the life of me remember what the hell the stuff is called, but it's generally stored in kerosene or some similar liquid.

Most likely sodium or potasium. Both more or less explode when they hit water. It's typically stored in kerosine, it doesn't react well to high humidity. smile.gif It also oxydises quickley. If you ever need to move that stuff.... wear gloves. Burns like hell if you don't.

Or it could have been greek fire. smile.gif

edit: I really should finish reading threads before commenting....
Kesslan
Well on the subject of greek fire, have historians ever actually -really- figgured out what it was? Last I'd heard there were only theories as to various things it could have been.
Mortax
Not that I know of. Iknow it was supposed to catch fire when it hit water, not manythings do that. I think K and NA were ruled out, and it was supposed to be complex. Couldn't tell you, I'm more of a rocket/cybernetic guy.

Though if they had magnesium, ignighted it, that coming into contact with water WOULD blow. Big. It splits the water down to it's base elements. Oxygen+Hydrogen+lots of heat=.......
Kesslan
I'm not so sure that it comming into contact with water made it explode, as I understand it simply spread it around, sort of like oil on water. Except full of burning stuff that.. burned.
Sir_Psycho
Olive oil, duh.
Kagetenshi
The anger that is later used in Dikote™ furnaces.

~J
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Kesslan)
God it was such a great year. Our chem teacher was such a pyro made all sorts of things burn/explode

I had a chem professor like that.

I remember one day we had class, there was a rig set up off to the side that looked like a gallon milk jug with a glass tube sticking out the top. There was a tiny flame coming out the tube. The professor made no mention of it, just went on with the day's lessons. Everyone pretty much assumed it was some ongoing experiment that had nothing to do with us and ignored it.

About halfway through the class there was the most godawful loud BANG.

Just about everyone jumped, some clear out of their seats. The professor started roaring with laughter. A few minutes later some folks from clear across the building wing were poking their heads in to see what was going on.

Turns out he'd cut the bottom of the milk jug and filled it with hydrogen gas. It being lighter than air stayed in the jug. The flame at top was slowly consuming the gas as it flowed out the glass tube. The setup was stable until enough hydrogen gas had burned away - and the hydrogen/air interface at the bottom edge of the hydrogen cloud hit the flame, instantly detonating the residual hydrogen in the jug.

BANG.

=)

Ohhh thats a nice one. Heh. Man, there are things I do so miss about science class. Too bad doing half that stuff these days would get the teacher fired.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Dec 29 2006, 09:04 AM)
Olive oil, duh.

Oyl; her name is Olive Oyl. Although she doesn't burn so much as scream for Popeye's help, she is the fastest and most reliable way to destroy an enemy.
Mortax
Nah, the most reliable way to destroy an enemy is Chuck Norris.
Kesslan
But by the 2050's-2070's Chuck Norris would be dead!

So really you'd be only left with adepts following the 'Way of Chuck Norris'
Mortax
Lies!
Chuck Norris will never die!
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Mortax)
Lies!
Chuck Norris will never die!

Lies. He will die!

It will take a coalition of Gandalf the Grey, Gandalf the White, Monty Python and the Holy Grail's Black Knight, Benito Mussolini, and the Blue Meanie, Cowboy Curtis and Jambi the Genie, Robocop, the Terminator, Captain Kirk and Darth Vader, Lo Pan, Superman, Every single Power Ranger, Bill S. Preston and Theodore Logan, Spock, the Rock, Doc Oc and Hulk Hogan.

But he will die.
Mortax
You forgot mister Rogers. wink.gif
Kesslan
Mr. Rogers is dead. Has been since 2003.

Mortax
I'm aware of that. It was a referance to "The ulitimate showdown of ultimate destiny ".

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Mortax)
You forgot mister Rogers. wink.gif

..and...

Mr Neutron...The Most Dangerous Man in the Universe

...and now for something completely different...a man with no buttocks...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012