Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommended reading (Of SR novels)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kesslan
You guys can all blame Fortune for this one.

Various discussions recently (like the 2070 corp thread I started in the SR4 section of the forums) brought about the fact that there are still quite a few of us, who arnt really aware of various revelations and happenings directly related to 'cannon' material because it was in novels we'ev never read. (Or possibly even heard of)

So what I'd love to see here is a list of recommended SR novels for reading. Either becaus they gave a good 'feel' for the world of shadowrun, or simply becuase they offer up information about the happenings behind such things as the big D's assassination (which turned out not to really be an assassination)

Personally to date one of my favourites is 2XS. I've got two others, one which is somewhat decent, but I cant recall the name of it atm and.. once again I'm posting from work. (I also may have put the novel away in storage somewhere)

It was a good one though too I felt, had dying team member, a healthy screw job, some runin with the mafia etc. Had a pretty good feel to it I felt.

Unfortunately that rather tiny insignificant list is my whole experience with the various novels. You can still find most of them floating around used bookstores and online. Though it greatly helps to have an actual listing of the titles.

Sooo, then as with the topic, anyone care to contribute a 'suggested reading list' of various novels that cover the various happenings in the world of Shadowrun?

(There has for example been mentioned this dragon heart trillogy or some such?)
Fortune
Everybody always blames me ... frown.gif

I'll just repost what I wrote on this in the other thread.

QUOTE (Me)
Interestingly enough, I just recently had this very conversation with His Fistiness himself. I highly recommend that people read any (if not all) of the Shadowrun novels. He is somewhat hesitant, considering the admittedly quite bad writing involved in some of them, and the attrocious plotlines of others. My stance is that, despite all the bad points, each and every one gives a further glimpse into the inner workings of the Sixth World. Each and every one can be a source of inspiration for both character and campaign building. Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good.

Seriously, I think you should read any of them that you can get your hands on.
Fortune
A list of the (English language) Shadowrun novels can be found here.
Trigger
Thanks Fortune, I have been meaning to look up and get more of the SR novels. I have only read the newer ones (since WizKids got the license, except Drops of Corruption) and one of the older novels, Ragnarok, which is one of my favorites so far. I have been trying to find more of them in used bookstores aroud my area and I may soon delve more into internet purchases to get some of them.
Kesslan
Cool Fortune, that helps alot.

And while I agree with reading any one can get their hands on, there are still the odd 'exceptional' books. One that -really- get that SR feel going, or at least reveal some pretty important information that has a good deal of relevance to the SR storyline as a whole.

Which is more why I was asking for abit of a list of what people thought such books were.
Fortune
Just gettin' the ball rollin'. wink.gif
Kesslan
QUOTE (Fortune)
Just gettin' the ball rollin'. wink.gif

*ducks behind cover* I dont belive that its' a ball! I bet it's some sort of grenade!
Thanee
QUOTE (Fortune)
A list of the (English language) Shadowrun novels can be found here.

Nice. Looks like there havn't been a whole lot of them coming out, since I stopped buying them (~35, not entirely sure there right now), so I guess I should be able to complete that eventually. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Kagetenshi
Technobabel has some pretty important information. Substantial amounts of it may be lame important information, but it's still important information.

~J, foe of the Humanized Deus
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Fortune)
Everybody always blames me ... frown.gif

I'll just repost what I wrote on this in the other thread.

QUOTE (Me)
Interestingly enough, I just recently had this very conversation with His Fistiness himself. I highly recommend that people read any (if not all) of the Shadowrun novels. He is somewhat hesitant, considering the admittedly quite bad writing involved in some of them, and the attrocious plotlines of others. My stance is that, despite all the bad points, each and every one gives a further glimpse into the inner workings of the Sixth World. Each and every one can be a source of inspiration for both character and campaign building. Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good.

Seriously, I think you should read any of them that you can get your hands on.

My two nuyen.gif :Don't read Nyx Smith.
Fortune
And naturally, I disagree, for the reasons listed above. nyahnyah.gif
fistandantilus4.0
And sometimes you go through an intiatory like ordeal reading them. In this case, sacrifice, a point of logic. Yadda yadda yadda. nyahnyah.gif
The whole "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is not necessarily true for books. It's like killing off a little bit of yourself for every wated page, every wasted hour, that you just wish you could get back.
Fortune
It's a small price to pay for insight and inspiration.

Besides, there are a lot of people here that have read the books, and most of them are hardly the worse for wear because of it. nyahnyah.gif
fistandantilus4.0
debateable

But to add something meaningful, I liked most of the stuff nigel Findley did :LoneWolf, 2XS, and House of the Sun. Burning Bright was also good (not so much Burning Time though). Headhunters good, Shadowplay, didn't care for personally. Same for Shadowboxer. Liked Psychotrope, although it's been years since I read it. Recall liking Wolf and Raven.

See Fortune these are the books I need to pick up. Fade to Black not so much. I'll still get it, I'll still disagree with you.

As much as I hate to admit it, there really isn't a one of those books that I can think of that I haven't taken something away from that gave me some idea or helped. The one exception was Poison Agendas. Got absolutely nothing out of that one.
fistandantilus4.0
For some more specific:

Psychotrope covers the '61 Matrix crash in Seattle and an AI

Dragon Heart Trilogy: Dunkie's Dead. Get his ruby slippers

LoneWolf: Cutter's gang and Lone Star and the Tir

House of the Sun: Hawai'i and some immortals stuff and Dirk Montogomery

Shadowboxer: Bad book after the first half. interesting group of runneres but the plot gets a bit ridiculous (well, as ridiculous as it can get in a world with elves and trolls on cyber decks and bands like Darwin's Bastards).

HeadHuneters: Jack Skater's team. Good stuff

Burning Bright: Good Bug city stuff, Ares, and cool mage

Wolf and Raven: Basically a Robin Hood type runner with a series of short stories by Michael Stackpole. I like him, and I like the take on the character, which is basically a shamanic adept that follows, suprise of suprises, Wolf!

Hope that helps a bit more. I recommend Used Book Stores (includes that old book smell!) or amazon.com to hunt down Used Book Stores.

SL James
I really like Dead Air. It's been a while since I read it, thoiugh, but I know it is one of the few novels that I didn't hate when I was finished.

QUOTE (Trigger @ Dec 22 2006, 04:35 AM)
I have only read the newer ones (since WizKids got the license, except Drops of Corruption) and one of the older novels, Ragnarok, which is one of my favorites so far.

Oh, god. Oh GOD !!

I can only hope this is based on a very small sample of books, none of which were written before 2000.

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Dec 22 2006, 09:05 AM)
HeadHuneters: Jack Skater's team. Good stuff

Preying for Keeps was pretty good too until they meet Lofwyr.
mfb
see, if i didn't like you, i could cripple you for life. all i'd have to do is recommend you read Shadowboxer. and you'd find it, and open it, and afterwards, you'd never be the same.
Butterblume
Perhaps a blacklist of shadowrun novels you better never ever look at would be more usefull.
Fortune
QUOTE (Butterblume @ Dec 23 2006, 04:54 AM)
Perhaps a blacklist of shadowrun novels you better never ever look at would be more usefull.

I've read them all, and I haven't found one that I would put on that list yet.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Butterblume)

1)Poison Agendas
Nemesis
I own, and read them all, and I feel that one could do without a Lisa Smedman novel.
Hocus Pocus
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Butterblume @ Dec 23 2006, 04:54 AM)

I've read them all, and I haven't found one that I would put on that list yet.

agreed
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Nemesis @ Dec 22 2006, 07:41 PM)
I own, and read them all, and I feel that one could do without a Lisa Smedman novel.

I disagree. I didn't much care for the "left turn in the plot near the end" style of writing, but "Bloodsport" was probably one of the most vividly-described SR novels I've read, and given that it takes place in Aztlan, that means some very gory images in my head. I remember coming across some really gory descriptions and shutting my eyes to try to get away from them, only to realize I was forgetting that the images were all in my mind. Yeah, my mind formed the images, but she put all the information there to make those images almost movie-like without slowing the novel down with long descriptions. I don't think any other SR author has had that power on me since then.

I gotta go against any book written by Mel Odom. I didn't care for "Preying for Keeps" at all, and I got halfway through "Run Hard, Die Fast" before selling the damn thing to a used book store for $1. He just cannot make a novel interested, IMNSHO.

Oh yeah, and if you find ANY Nigel Findley novels, BUY THEM. "2XS" was awesome; I'm still trying to find House of the Sun so I can find out what the hell happened to Dirk Montgomery!
mfb
blacklisted:
1) Shadowboxer. wow. just... wow.
2) Striper Assassin. i've never actually read this one, to be honest, but a) the premise is just... too teen fantasy, and b) i wasn't a fan of the short story in Into the Shadows.

speaking of which, i definitely recommend Into the Shadows. i like it even better than the two Dirk books.
SL James
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
"Bloodsport" was probably one of the most vividly-described SR novels I've read, and given that it takes place in Aztlan, that means some very gory images in my head. I remember coming across some really gory descriptions and shutting my eyes to try to get away from them, only to realize I was forgetting that the images were all in my mind.

Good lord. This is why I don't run games in regions I've never been. Most descriptions of Aztlan piss me off so much because of that.

But too gory? I find that hard to believe.

I gotta go against any book written by Mel Odom. I didn't care for "Preying for Keeps" at all, and I got halfway through "Run Hard, Die Fast" before selling the damn thing to a used book store for $1. He just cannot make a novel interested, IMNSHO.

Oh yeah, and if you find ANY Nigel Findley novels, BUY THEM. "2XS" was awesome; I'm still trying to find House of the Sun so I can find out what the hell happened to Dirk Montgomery!

And you can find out why Odom's version of Argent is a ginormous tool.
Kesslan
Well, definately comming away with some good recomendations here at least. This kinda thing is definately helpful to those like me who have barely scratched the surface of SR novels.

I've actually got two of the novels listed so far. Yay! cyber.gif
Trigger
I am going on a amazon.com searching spree with the recommendations from here...I just hope my search fu is good.
Cochise
Looking at the history of similar threads (not just on this board) all I can say is: Read them all. Make your own decissions.

There are people who dislike Run hard, Die fast others just loved Argent for his "cool" moves in said book.
I witnessed people saying that they actually liked Terminus Experiment while I just hated it.
My personal favourite (despite its ugly cover) Changeling happens to receive ambivalent reactions as well.

And when it comes to metaplot, even books like the Dragonheart-Trilogy are a "must" regardless of the highly controversial character of Ryan "Quicksilver" Mercury and Nadia Daviar's physical attributes that seem to be mentioned every second page throughout that trilogy (serious exageration!).
FrozenNarhan
I tend to agree with the "make your own decision" crowd...

The one thing i've always pulled from every book i've read...is the great way some of them use the atmosphere, really drew me in.

I also always like how some of them would insert weapons or other things from the game, something familiar and very invocative of the SR universe.

Personally i like stackpole, kenson, Findley, Dowd, Charrette, and Odom's work...

I have a soft spot for "Into the shadows" as it was my first book i purchased.
SL James
QUOTE (Cochise)
There are people who dislike Run hard, Die fast others just loved Argent for his "cool" moves in said book.

There really isn't anything good about that book except for some very minor character development of Archangel (from Odom's other novels). The stuff about PCC just doesn't fit with what has been written, and the characters are just lame. The fight scenes are jerking off to how cool Argent is now that he has MBW and twin supermachs (and I am down for twin supermachs, but here it's just... ugh), and his backstory is the kind of juvenile shit I'd write to be cool and mysterious when I was 13.
Cochise
QUOTE (SL James)
There really isn't anything good about that book except for some very minor character development of Archangel (from Odom's other novels). The stuff about PCC just doesn't fit with what has been written, and the characters are just lame. The fight scenes are jerking off to how cool Argent is now that he has MBW and twin supermachs (and I am down for twin supermachs, but here it's just... ugh),

So you more or less prove my point by saying that you dislike said book.
OTOH I happen to know two persons who actually call it the best book in the whole series (No I'm most definitely none of them!).

and his backstory is the kind of juvenile shit I'd write to be cool and mysterious when I was 13.

And now try to think of those parts of the SR target group that actually are 13 or just one to three years above that age ...

SL James
Writing for thirteen-year olds and writing like thirteen-year olds are two very different things.
emo samurai
What's his backstory?
Cochise
QUOTE (SL James)
Writing for thirteen-year olds and writing like thirteen-year olds are two very different things.

Not necessarily ... but that's just an opinion ... off-topic ... and still the best argument for saying to the OP: Make your own decissions after reading all books
Chrome Shadow
Of the SR novels I have 43. I'm still reading them in order. Right now with The Forever Drug (#37). Great novel so far...

I like them all. The least I liked, if I had to choose one, will be Psychotrope (too much matrix for me)...

I like all that have been mentioned so far, but you should check Fade to Black, Changeling, and the Secrets of Power trilogy... They are great...
SL James
QUOTE (Cochise)
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 24 2006, 03:48 AM)

Not necessarily ... but that's just an opinion ... off-topic ... and still the best argument for saying to the OP: Make your own decissions after reading all books

We're not talking about tone; of how characters speak. We're talking about actually having a grasp of elements of writing, and possibly using them to write as a thirteen-year old, and ... not having said grasp.
MaxHunter
Shadowrun novels and literary criticism do not mix well IMO.

Given that I fall with the "make your own choices" crowd, I also believe our time in this world is simply not enough to try everything for yourself, sometimes peers can provide shortcuts through advice and shared information. And this is a forum, isn't it?

I liked Changeling and House of the Sun, could not get 2XS where I live but heard good comments on it.

I didn't like the dragonheart trilogy and neither did Psychotrope. The first SR novel(s) I red was the "secrets of power" trilogy and I liked some of it, but hated the main character Sam.

Wolf and Raven is nice too, particularly because of Wolf's personality. The book was written before SR rules were totally compiled, and that shows a little, but the guy's great.

I have wholeheartedly taken ideas from every book I read, but I also pick up ideas from the moisture spots in my walls and can't say all of them they are worth the time either.

And I started reading the Terminus experiment, but I had to quit. The horror, the horror...
SL James
I think I am the only person on Earth who likes the Dragon Heart Saga.
Slithery D
I liked the experience of reading the Dragonheart Saga, as long as I didn't stop to actually analyze anything that happened. It felt like (high powered, heavy magic) Shadowrun, but it didn't think like it.

I second Dead Air as a sleeper favorite.

I'd also like to reread Just Compensation to figure out how I feel about it. I can't remember it at all except that there was some CAS/UCAS shadow politics stuff.

Am I the only one who really liked 80% of Night's Pawn? Burning Bright wasn't Dowd's only good one.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Slithery D)
I liked the experience of reading the Dragonheart Saga, as long as I didn't stop to actually analyze anything that happened. It felt like (high powered, heavy magic) Shadowrun, but it didn't think like it.

I second Dead Air as a sleeper favorite.

I'd also like to reread Just Compensation to figure out how I feel about it. I can't remember it at all except that there was some CAS/UCAS shadow politics stuff.

Am I the only one who really liked 80% of Night's Pawn? Burning Bright wasn't Dowd's only good one.

I loved Night's Pawn. Great read, in my opinion.

I also liked the Dragonheart Trilogy. Very epic and high-powered, but since when is that necessarily a bad thing in SR?
Lindt
Dead presidents seem to be a good reason to bring out the big-hammer. Dead dragons as well, so put them tougther, and you have an excuse to go a bit over the top.
Fortune
QUOTE (SL James)

Nope. I didn't mind it at all.

QUOTE (Slithery D)
Am I the only one who really liked 80% of Night's Pawn?

Night's Pawn is my very favorite Shadowrun novel.

fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 27 2006, 03:34 PM)

Nope. I didn't mind it at all.

I liked the series. It was just that I prettty much liked everyone in the book better than the protagonist.
SL James
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I liked the series. It was just that I prettty much liked everyone in the book better than the protagonist.

Yeah. It seemed like Dunk went to a lot of trouble to keep him from knowing anything at all.
lorechaser
It was just touched on, but the Secrets of Power trilogy are what started the whole thing.

Never Deal With A Dragon
Choose Your Enemies Carefully
Find Your Own Truth

Fortune
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Dec 29 2006, 07:36 AM)
It was just touched on, but the Secrets of Power trilogy are what started the whole thing.

Well technically, Into The Shadows came first. It was then re-released later on (with a new product number and opening story).
Dale
Well considering there will be no new Shadowrun novels (those bastards!), could anyone suggest some fan fiction online that doesn't suck out loud?
fistandantilus4.0
shapcano.com and Winterhawk's Magespace

On shapcano, read the "San" series, I think it was called "Two as One" or something to that effect. Been a while.

And on WInterhawks, well hell they're in order. biggrin.gif
BookWyrm
Fortune is correct, Into The Shadows was the first SR novel. But it was in a slightly larger format (similar to the White Wolf 'Nod' in-game bible/books, like The Book Of Nod & Revelations of the Dark Mother). I still have mine. It was reprinted & you might be able to back-order it.

Your best bet is to haunt Ebay for them & get them in multiple-book sets.

Here's the reprint, as seen on the Borders website.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (SL James)

Nope. I loved it. Didn't like Ryan Mercury much, but the books are among my favorite SR novels.

'Course, I liked "Nosferatu," which puts me in a severe minority, so my opinion might not be worth much. biggrin.gif

Oh, and thanks for the plug, Fistandantilus3.0! smile.gif For those who might want to read my stuff, I've got five complete (long!) novels in a series, a sixth that's *very* alternate-universe, and a bunch of short stories and novellas. They're all a bit off the beaten canon path, but not very far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012