Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Halving Implant Essence
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Shrike30
It is my deepest hope that, come Augmentation, we see a heavy-duty revamp of cyberlimbs. I mean, come on... the cyberlimbs we could get in 2050 were arguably better than the ones we can get in 2075...
ornot
When I played SR3 we tended toward the low power end of things. Campaigns did not last forever and characters did not wind up more powerful than anything else in the world. Consequently little bioware was accumulated, and filling up the character's bio-index was never an issue.

Having one mechanic for essence seems simpler to me though, and 'ware is cheaper. An SR4 street sam in a recent game i ran, was pretty damned lethal right out of the box, and he still had almost 1 essence left.

Still, it seems to me that deciding how much essence you want your character to have is a poor place to start from when designing a character. I prefer fleshing out a character's background a little, deciding what 'ware he'd be likely to have or need, and then working out what the essence cost was going to be. Running out of essence is unlikely unless said character is seriously twinked.

I have to agree that the cyberlimb rules are kind of hinky though. A good starting point may be to give cyber limbs the average strength of the species they were built for. Custom limbs for strong creatures (eg trolls) would likely cost more.

Talking of limbs, I'm going to hijack this thread completely and ask what organ-leggers even exist for? In a time when you can get a mechanical replacement or even grow a new cloned organ, why would there exist vast cartels dedicated to harvesting organs and limbs from people? Is there a food shortage or something?
Oracle
Mechanical replacements and cloned organs are expensive...
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Shrike30)
It is my deepest hope that, come Augmentation, we see a heavy-duty revamp of cyberlimbs. I mean, come on... the cyberlimbs we could get in 2050 were arguably better than the ones we can get in 2075...

I totally agree with you, man.

QUOTE (Me @ almost exactly 1 year ago)
And considering what a mess cyberlimbs have turned into in previous editions, how did this not get fixed? Why, in the designer's meeting room, was there not a large chalk board with the words, "Don't &$*% up cyberlimbs!" written on it?
The Jopp
Hopefully they will include the following subjects in the Augmentation book.

- Cloned limbs are a lot more expensive than cyberlimbs
- Cloned limbs take a long time to grow (at least a few weeks)
- Healing costs and prices for medical stay in a hospital.
Shrike30
Here's why organlegging still exists:

1) Cloned organs are very expensive.
2) Cyber organs are less expensive. You lose some essence, but you aren't out as much cash as the cloned organ.
3) A secondhand organ is less expensive than either.
4) A "secondhand organ" that your ripperdoc got for next to nothing because he pulled it out of a bullet-riddled body that a couple of skavs dragged in from an alley somewhere is cheaper than any of the above options, and nearly pure profit for the person implanting it.
Arz
Generally the cyber/bio rules had th fewest changes and was successful in simplifying things. The best change was lowring the prices so that starters could actually buy what they wanted. You can even afford to upgrade after a few well paid runs.

Cyberlimbs do suck. Can I rationalize why metas get hosed on them? Yes. Is it fair? No. Averaging attributes still doesn't make sense and I don't care if I can now have abs of steel with a strength of 9.

Just to put this idea out there. You listening? Cyberlimbs are a black hole able to fit an aircraft carrier if you can afford it. Throw out capacity rules because even if you make them rational they won't be _fun_. Institute micronization rules where each item increases the cost/availability until it becomes impractical to fit anything else in the limb.
Shrike30
YES! Anything that I'm sacrificing an entire point of essence to stick in shouldn't become a somewhat-useful storage compartment that I also have to sink hundreds of thousands of nuyen into just to make it not REDUCE my attributes.
cx2
Firstly, seeing essence as an attribute that is wasteful not to use is twinkish in itself and definitely metagaming. It's like saying "I want to work up to charisma 6 for my antisocial fragger because I can". Cyber should be worked into the char as much as skills, same with spells or powers for the awakened.

Secondly, SR4 has been stated as being more of a street level game.

So yes it's harder to twink out on SR4, but if you aren't trying to twink out it's far easier to get some decent ware.

And just another mention of cost improvement:
Headware phone 0.5 essence
Implanted commlink 0.2

And you can do far more with an implanted commlink.

Then there's the wired 1 costing 11k and wired 2 costing 32k.

As to synaptic accelerator, I could see a possible downside being the lack of a trigger.
Kesslan
Well the downside would be the same as not having a trigger in SR3.

In SR3 the lack of a trigger, or the use of a synatpic accelerator both make you 'twitchy'. Under SR4 it's built into wired reflexes, though they dont specify if there's some sort of on/off switch for synatpic accelrators. Since you can some how turn the pain editor off/on even though it's bioware perhaps there's some way to do that for a synaptic accelrator.

The argument though overall, isnt that the game is more 'street level' it's that by using cyberware, suddenly you go from at the very least being able to match your 'natural' stats, to suddenly being completely unable to do so in some cases without going whole hog conversion.

Which.. seems abit extreme to me. I mean SR3 had all sorts of advanced rules for having cyberarms that were stronger than natural etc, and matching up your cyberlimbs to the natrual stats was never really much of an issue beyond cost and availability.

Under SR3 all of asudden you simply dont even have room for some of those upgrades. MUch less still have room for other things as well.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kesslan)
In SR3 the lack of a trigger, or the use of a synatpic accelerator both make you 'twitchy'.

Nope. SR3 specifically ruled that only Cyberware that improved Initiative (not just Reaction) made you twitchy. Bioware or Magical improvements did not cause this anomality.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 29 2006, 08:42 PM)
In SR3 the lack of a trigger, or the use of a synatpic accelerator both make you 'twitchy'.

Nope. SR3 specifically ruled that only Cyberware that improved Initiative (not just Reaction) made you twitchy. Bioware or Magical improvements did not cause this anomality.

Really? I could have -sworn- something specifically in M&M applied the same thing to bioware init enhancers.

Oh well, I allways perfered bioware for a reason biggrin.gif
Moon-Hawk
No, it specifically said "cyberware", implicitly excluding everything else, although many GM's house-ruled it to apply to initiative boosts from drugs as well.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Dec 27 2006, 01:39 AM)
Seriously, keeping track of your Essence, your Essence Cost, your Essence Index, your Bio Index, and your Stress Level is not more streamlined than keeping track of your Essence, your Essence Cost (Cyberware) and your Essence Cost (Bioware). It's really really not.

Actually, it is more difficult to keep track of SR4 Essence than it is to keep track of SR3 Essence, Bioindex, and overstress. I'm not going to go into the SR3 rules for gaining stress points through trauma due to the fact that they are horrific and cumbersome, applied to uncybered characters, and served a real function that is not being served in SR4 at all (simulating the long-term effects of debilitating injuries).

In SR3 it is one simple 2D functions and a single comparison.
In SR4 it is a conditional 3D function that depends on a single comparison and can be broken into two conditional 2D functions that depend on a single comparison and a function of those two functions in order to avoid conditional 3D calculations.

To break it down.

SR3 (x = essence cost, y = bioindex, f(x) = essence)
CODE

f(x) = 6-x
If y>f(x)+3 then overstress

SR4 (x = cyber cost, y = bio cost, f(x,y) = essence)
CODE

f(x,y) = 6 - (x + y/2)  if x>y
           6 - (x/2 + y)  if x<y
           6 - (x + y)     if x=y

Simplified (f(x) = loss from cyber, g(y) = loss from bio, j(f(x),g(y)) = total essence loss)

CODE

f(x) = x   if x=>y
        x/2 if x<y

g(y) = y     if x<=y
         y/2  if x>y

j(f(x),g(y)) = 6 - (f(x) + g(y))

To better illustrate the issue I have made graphs of the functions.
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8390/graphsmt5.jpg
The top graphs are for the most common conditions of the SR4 3D function (something divided by 2) and the bottom graph is for the SR3 2D function.

Other than that, it would be correct to say that SR4 and SR3 are so different that a much more complex mathematical comparison is required. One would have to take into account the value of each item in relation to the two unique dice systems, for example
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
SR4 (x = cyber cost, y = bio cost, f(x,y) = essence)
CODE

f(x,y) = 6 - (x + y/2)  if x>y
           6 - (x/2 + y)  if x<y
           6 - (x + y)     if x=y

Minor error here.
It is never x+y, one of them is always halved. Drop the third case, and make one of the first two cases >= or <=, as both are equivalent models.
knasser
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

To better illustrate the issue I have made graphs of the functions.

Hereby nominates Hyzmarca for Dumpshocker of the Year award.

(Two days to go - are we still taking nominations?) wink.gif
FrankTrollman
In SR4 there aren't any initiative enhancements that make you twitchy. As such the Reflex Trigger is kind of pointless, but at least it is free.

In SR3 it is one simple 2D functions and a single comparison.
In SR4 it is a conditional 3D function that depends on a single comparison and can be broken into two conditional 2D functions that depend on a single comparison and a function of those two functions in order to avoid conditional 3D calculations.

That's bullshit. In SR3 you were penalized for healing purposes by the Essence cost of cyberware, by your bio index separately, and suffered a number of other penalties as well that were based on one or both of those values, sometimes halved.

Yes, the check to see if you were in Overstress was fairly simple - but since overstress was a death sentence that noone ever went into under any circumstances I don't really care.

The point is that in SR3 you had to keep track of two values (Essence Cost, Bio Index) and sometimes you halved the BioIndex and sometimes you didn't and then you applied them as penalties to some things.

In SR4 you will halve one or the other, but then it goes into a big pile and you never have to think about it again. In short, you still have two values, and one is halved and one is not - but it only matters when updating your character. The rest of the time you just have one value to keep track of. That's simpler in every way.

Yes, it's slightly more of a pain in the ass to write it in computer code because it is contingent rather than fixed what gets halved - but this is a fucking pen and paper role playing game. I don't give a damn whether things are easy or difficult to make into computer code. It's easier to do the math by hand now and that's what matters. And perhaps even more to the point, it's incredibly easier to actually use the game system at the table once your character sheet has been made. That's huge. And good.

-Frank
Butterblume
CODE
totalEssenceCost = max( cyberEssenceCost, bioEssenceCost ) + min( cyberEssenceCost, bioEssenceCost ) / 2

Easy enough for a computer to compute cyber.gif.
knasser
QUOTE (Butterblume)
CODE
totalEssenceCost = max( cyberEssenceCost, bioEssenceCost ) + min( cyberEssenceCost, bioEssenceCost ) / 2

Easy enough for a computer to compute cyber.gif.

You kids and your high-level programming languages and your maths libraries. When I was a programmer, all we had was assembly language and we had to write out every instruction separately. And we liked it! wink.gif

Okay, not quite that bad, but your code would actually compile to quite a series of steps before it was fed to the processor(s). It's a bit cheeky to just write out a few inline functions and pretend this is the equivalent of what a human has to do. The human equivalent (and the true representation of how complex or not the system is), are the low-level steps the computer has to do to fulfill that function.

Of course, I suspect you know that. wink.gif
Lindt
QUOTE (Fortune)
With judicious choices, you can cram quite a bit in with this rule.

* .66 Essence worth of one and .659 of the other only amounts to a total loss of 1 Essence point.

* 1.33 Essence worth of one and 1.3299 of the other only amounts to a total loss of 2 Essence points.

* 2 Essence worth of one and 1.999 of the other only amounts to a total loss of 3 Essence points.

* 2.66 Essence worth of one and 2.6599 of the other only amounts to a total loss of 4 Essence points.

* 3.33 Essence worth of one and 3.3299 of the other only amounts to a total loss of 5 Essence points.

* And pretty much the maximum is as I listed earlier ... 4 Essence worth of one and 3.999 of the other only amounts to a total loss of just under 6 Essence points.

So much for simplier rules... *walks away with hang'd head*
Butterblume
QUOTE (knasser)
Of course, I suspect you know that. wink.gif

True, I have programmed in assembler many years ago, on my very own 6502 cpu cool.gif.
But then was then, and now is now spin.gif.

QUOTE (Lindt)
So much for simplier rules... *walks away with hang'd head*

The rule is simple.

Fortune
QUOTE (Lindt)
So much for simplier rules...

What's complicated about it?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 30 2006, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (Lindt @ Dec 30 2006, 11:59 AM)
So much for simplier rules...

What's complicated about it?

Look at the graphs I made. That's what is complicated about it. The old rules were a plain linear 2d line for essence loss (which could be reduced to a 1d line, honestly) and a 1d line for bioindex. However, the SR4 essence loss graph is not just a single plane, but a pair of planes. With 1/100 fidelity there were 600 points on the old essence line and 900 points on the old bioindex line. If one graphed the two as a single function using overstress to relate them there would be 540,000 points but this is unnecessary as the two are mostly independent. However, with the same fidelity there are 720,000 unique points on to SR4 essence loss graphs. It is far more confusing when you are looking at the big picture and trying to cram in as much 'ware as is possible under a certain limit.

As for programing, I used to do animations on Apple IIs. For those who do not know that joy in Apple Basic you had to write a separate line of code for each pixel, specifying screen position and color. When animating this had to be done separately for each frame, of course, as this was before the cut and paste function was invented. Thankfully, they were very big pixels.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The old rules were a plain linear 2d line for essence loss (which could be reduced to a 1d line, honestly) and a 1d line for bioindex. However, the SR4 essence loss graph is not just a single plane, but a pair of planes.

That's... one way to represent it.

Of course, you could also represent it as a single 1d line. You know, how you just have a "Total Essence Cost" which is a single number. SR3 had Essence Cost Multipliers and Bioindex multipliers for implantation as well as for grades. SR4 has Essence cost multipliers for having Bioware and cyberware as well as for grades. It really is the same amount of multipliers, it's just that now you're only fucking around with one total (Essence) instead of three (Essence, Bio Index, Essence Index). And the grades all mean the same thing, and there's no longer any other information to keep track of besides gear, rating, and grade.

Things have been simplified and I really don't care about your 900 point graph - the fact is that it's not a graph. It's a number that acts as a dicepool penalty when people magically heal you. It used to be 2 different numbers, one of which counted down and was a target number bonus to magical healing and the other of which counted up and was a target number penalty to the same magical healing tests.

-Frank
hyzmarca
If you only need to keep track of one stat then tell me this, can a man with 4 points total essence cost in SR4 safely install 2 points of cyberware?

No sane player is going to calculate permanent modifiers on the fly during a game. That's just absurd. Those will be written down on the character sheet. Looking at one number is just as easy as looking at another.
However, PCs might get implants during a session for one reason or another.

In SR3 there were really 4 numbers to keep track of. They were essence cost, actual essence, essence index, and bioindex. All of these were purely linear. You just had to add or subtract a number. Likewise, healing modifiers were linear. There are plenty of numbers but the calculations themselves are trivial and a player could tell at a glance if an implant would cause death or not.

In SR4 a player must keep track of cyberware essence cost, bioware essence cost, actual cyberware essence cost, actual bioware essence cost, total actual essence cost, and actual essence. That is not less than 4 numbers. That is, in fact, 6 numbers (although two of them will be identical we do not know which two).

And a player cannot determine if an implantation would be fatal or not just be glancing at these numbers in all circumstances, no. The actual essence costs must be recalculated each time something new is added.

Demerzel
If you implant new cyberware in a game more often that once a session and it's imperitave that it not happen between sessions I'd say you're playing in a pretty odd game...
Serbitar
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Dec 31 2006, 02:17 AM)
If you only need to keep track of one stat then tell me this, can a man with 4 points total essence cost in SR4 safely install 2 points of cyberware?

The answer is "Yes" in any case.
Though he may die if he had more than 1.32 worth of cyber isntalled.
FrankTrollman
In SR3 there were really 4 numbers to keep track of. They were essence cost, actual essence, essence index, and bioindex. All of these were purely linear. You just had to add or subtract a number. Likewise, healing modifiers were linear. There are plenty of numbers but the calculations themselves are trivial and a player could tell at a glance if an implant would cause death or not.

In SR4 a player must keep track of cyberware essence cost, bioware essence cost, actual cyberware essence cost, actual bioware essence cost, total actual essence cost, and actual essence. That is not less than 4 numbers. That is, in fact, 6 numbers (although two of them will be identical we do not know which two).

Holy crap are you making this more complicated than it needs to be. The "Actual Essence Cost From Bioware" is a number that you never ever need in Shadowrun. It's not like Bio Index that actually did things. No, it's just part of the calculation that generates total Essence Cost - no more or less than the Beta Grade multiplier on your Ortho-Skin.

You have four numbers:
  1. Essence Cost (Cyberware)
  2. Essence Cost (Bioware)
  3. Total Actual Essence Cost
  4. Essence Value

That's still four numbers, and here's the really cool part:

Three of them only matter when implanting new 'ware!

That's right, there's exactly one value that you need to use in your daily life. Not two, not three, just one. You can plausibly play the game without even knowing how the other three values work and simply handing your character sheet over to a friend who can perfrm the ruinous calculation of "divide by two" when your new equipment is installed.

Ta-da! Simple. You have the same number of numbers that ever matter, and the number of numbers that matter during play has been reduced substantially. It is totally sweet.

-Frank
wind_in_the_stones
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

In a theoretical sense, a Street Samurai will eventually run out of things she can buy. She won't have any more gear she can fit in her body,

In our group this very often used to happen at chargen. Or at least it was very rare the anyone bought cyberware during the campaign. Partly because 'ware was maxed, and party due to the cost of new 'ware.

Also, wouldn't you say that attribute caps increase the value of attribute boosting 'ware?
Glyph
QUOTE (wind_in_the_stones)
Also, wouldn't you say that attribute caps increase the value of attribute boosting 'ware?

Not only that, but in SR4, where you use skill plus Attribute, getting, say, muscle toner: 2 means that you add two dice to a lot of skill tests. And things like wired reflexes not only increase your initiative, but give you extra dice to dodge attacks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012