Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Protecting drones from hackers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Leehouse
My current situation is that i'm playing a rigger, in a game that is starting up soon. Our entire group, myself included, is very new to shadowrun(we are taking a break from DnD) and my main concern now that I have the character fully statted out is, how do I keep my drones on my side? From what I've read it seems ridiculously easy for hacker to hack into my drones, and jump in or spoof commands at them all day long.

As such I'm looking for a way that is well established and obviously within the rules to make it harder(not impossible because then my GM will find a way to kill me) to hack them.
Magus
I have previously asked this question last month. Here is the link to the thread titled Drones, Drones, Drones

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=15985
Leehouse
Thanks.
kerbarian
QUOTE (Magus)
I have previously asked this question last month. Here is the link to the thread titled Drones, Drones, Drones

Hmm. I just scanned through that thread, and it seems to largely be discussions about what fancy tricks would work for protecting drones. I've been thinking about this a little myself, and here's what I've come up with that has a clear basis in the rules:

To protect against hacking:
  • Upgrade the drone's Pilot and Firewall. Pilot is the equivalent of System on a drone, and thus it requires upgrading Response first. You can run Firewall 6 on any hardware, though.
  • Run agent(s) to defend the node. In order to avoid a response decrease on the drone itself, you could buy extra commlinks and run the agents there, and then the agents log into the drone and watch for intruders.
  • Encrypt the device. A hacker would have to successfully Decrypt the node before he could use the Command program to control the drone. This one isn't quite clear in the rules, but there's a thread with some clarifications here.
To protect against spoofing:
  • Upgrade the drone's Pilot and Firewall (see above under hacking defense).
  • Encrypt your connection to the drone, to make it harder for the attacker to determine your access ID.
  • From the FAQ, "You can tell a Pilot to ignore certain commands or to only follow pre-specified commands", which limits the damage a spoofer can cause. For example, you could tell your drone to ignore orders to kick you off or transfer command to anyone else.
  • The FAQ also mentions that the GM can "apply a dice pool modifier to the hacker for the Opposed Test equal to -3 for security privileges or -6 for admin privileges" for spoofing tests. You could configure your drone so that it only takes combat orders from an admin account. It's up to your GM, but you can try to convince him to go with the idea in the FAQ and impose a penalty on spoofing commands to your drones.
Finally, there are a few things that aren't really extra defensive measures, but you should make sure your GM takes them into account when hacking/spoofing your drones.
  • Your drones will always be operating in hidden mode (unless you have some reason to broadcast their presence). This means that after an opposing hacker spots the drone, he still needs to make an Electronic Warfare + Scan (4) Test (p. 225 of the BBB) to find its node. He can't start his hacking attempt or try to send a spoofed command until then.
  • Spoofing a drone requires that you impersonate someone who's currently controlling the drone. If no legitimate user is controlling the drone -- e.g. it's unsubscribed and operating on its own -- then it can't be spoofed (though it could still be hacked).
  • From the BBB p.224, "In order to spoof orders, you must first complete a successful Matrix Perception Test on the persona you are impersonating in order to gain its acccess ID." I generally assume that you can make that perception test if you can listen to (decrypted) traffic coming from the controller, but it's not actually worded that way. If your GM wants to make spoofing harder, he could rule that you need to be logged into a node that the drone controller is also logged into in order to examine his persona. That makes spoofing essentially impossible without hacking first, assuming the drone controller has spoofed up a fresh, fake access ID right before the run.

[edit: removed references to System on a drone -- it only has Pilot]
Jaid
QUOTE (kerbarian)
[*] Upgrade the drone's Firewall and Pilot. Upgrading Pilot requires upgrading System first, which requires upgrading Response. As mentioned above, though, you can run Firewall 6 on any system.

not quite. pilot *is* system. depending on how you read it, the firewall must also be the same, since the pilot rating is also system (though that, at least, is a little more iffy).

as another thought, if you give drones area jammers and have them jam all frequencies except the one they operate on, that means the attacking hacker will likely need to be running fairly impressive ECCM to reach your drones, or figure out what frequency they use. of course, this has the drawback of being somewhat illegal, but presumably it forces the opposing hacker to figure out your frequency, which should take time (i'm not sure if it would be possible, but a jammer that has a strong effect which deteriorates quickly would be useful... anyone know enough to know if that's possible or not? if so, it would be a handy houseruled piece of equipment to have.)
kerbarian
QUOTE (Jaid)
not quite. pilot *is* system. depending on how you read it, the firewall must also be the same, since the pilot rating is also system (though that, at least, is a little more iffy).

The FAQ explicitly confirms that you can have Firewall higher than System.

You're right on System not being used in a drone, though -- it's only Pilot. I keep thinking of Pilot as equivalent to an agent program, rather than equivalent to System.

as another thought, if you give drones area jammers and have them jam all frequencies except the one they operate on, that means the attacking hacker will likely need to be running fairly impressive ECCM to reach your drones, or figure out what frequency they use. of course, this has the drawback of being somewhat illegal, but presumably it forces the opposing hacker to figure out your frequency, which should take time (i'm not sure if it would be possible, but a jammer that has a strong effect which deteriorates quickly would be useful... anyone know enough to know if that's possible or not? if so, it would be a handy houseruled piece of equipment to have.)

I don't think that would actually help. Or if it did help, it would increase the difficulty of detecting the drone's hidden node (up to GM discretion). Once you've detected the node, you presumably know the frequencies it's using, including following any frequency-hopping.
hobgoblin
You're right on System not being used in a drone, though -- it's only Pilot. I keep thinking of Pilot as equivalent to an agent program, rather than equivalent to System.

i think the best way of looking at it is that pilot is system with special agent code bolted on to control the drone body.

when it comes to rules pilot == system, no question about it imho...
Jaid
QUOTE (kerbarian)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 6 2007, 12:00 PM)

The FAQ explicitly confirms that you can have Firewall higher than System.

system and firewall are two separate programs. pilot and pilot are not. it's at least open to discussion. it's not terribly likely to be a problem balance-wise though, so either interpretation should do fine.
kerbarian
QUOTE (Jaid)
system and firewall are two separate programs. pilot and pilot are not. it's at least open to discussion. it's not terribly likely to be a problem balance-wise though, so either interpretation should do fine.

"Pilot is used in place of System for vehicles, drones, and agents, but otherwise has the same function as System."

Sounds to me like it's explicitly replacing System and not Firewall. Also, from the description of agents:

"Agents have their own built-in Firewall attribute, equal to their Pilot rating."

Agents are called out as having a special Firewall rating in addition to their Pilot rating, implying that normal Pilot programs don't come with a Firewall attribute.
Jaid
QUOTE (kerbarian)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 6 2007, 01:04 PM)

"Pilot is used in place of System for vehicles, drones, and agents, but otherwise has the same function as System."

Sounds to me like it's explicitly replacing System and not Firewall. Also, from the description of agents:

"Agents have their own built-in Firewall attribute, equal to their Pilot rating."

Agents are called out as having a special Firewall rating in addition to their Pilot rating, implying that normal Pilot programs don't come with a Firewall attribute.

hmmmmm.... well, at a quick glance, you appear to be right... i had missed that. presumably i had read the part on agents and assumed it was a general rule, not a specific one nyahnyah.gif

which sounds just fine to, i'm certainly in favor of making it tougher to swipe drones smile.gif
Serbitar
Note that in RAW pilots are not agents. Pilots are agents + OS + Node. A fact I personally do not like, because its anti streamlined.
hobgoblin
how is that not streamlined?
Serbitar
We have nodes, we have agents. Why note make pilots agents that run on nodes? There are already rules for that.
Instead an additional entity, pilot, is invented, and not described fully. That it is making things more complicated proove your couple of posts here.
hobgoblin
i dont see the complication at all.

but then i see it as being similar to a programming function or class with multiple inheritence wink.gif

a node is just a logical construct generated by the system.

the agent is a semi-intelligent program.

you take the best bits of the agent and bolt it onto the system and you have the pilot.

how hard is that?
Serbitar
1.) As I said, you have agents, you have nodes with attributes. No reason to add an edditional entity. Adding additional entities of rules when they are unnecessary is anti streamlining. If there is a reason, please give it, if not, its anti streamlined.
2.) If everything is so clear, what was discussed the last 10 or so posts?

The obvious approach is to say:

Pilot is an agent running on the nodes vehicle. The agent is running autosoft. This makes it very clear what can be upgraded and how it can be upgraded. As I said, there are already rules for that.

In the case of RAW, it is absolutely not clear whether the pilot can be attacked in VR, whether it counts towards the Response Rating, how to upgrade System and Firewall without Pilot and so forth.
yoippari
With the jammer idea, would a head jammer be useful on medium or larger drones? On small ones the size of a head it would encompass the whole thing, but on a doberman or lynx it could only affect a small area.

Something that is NOT clear to me is if a Pilot program has an icon and can defend itself from hackers. It LOOKS like a drone has basicly a commlink with an agent running on it. So the agent has the additional pilot software for the drone side of it (at the same cost of just the agent), but the whole thing is just programming as far as the agent is concerned. So attacking a hacker would be the same as attacking a security guard, except instead of using the Targeting (heavy weapons) program it would use the Attack Program.
Jaid
QUOTE (yoippari)
With the jammer idea, would a head jammer be useful on medium or larger drones? On small ones the size of a head it would encompass the whole thing, but on a doberman or lynx it could only affect a small area.

Something that is NOT clear to me is if a Pilot program has an icon and can defend itself from hackers. It LOOKS like a drone has basicly a commlink with an agent running on it. So the agent has the additional pilot software for the drone side of it (at the same cost of just the agent), but the whole thing is just programming as far as the agent is concerned. So attacking a hacker would be the same as attacking a security guard, except instead of using the Targeting (heavy weapons) program it would use the Attack Program.

well, a headjammer might help protect you from weaker signals at least. but anyone with a strong signal is gonna cut through even the strongest headjammer with ease, but then i guess that just makes it easier for the controlling rigger to set the jammer to full frequency jam and cut through the traffic using ECCM on both ends. (after all, most drones will have 3+ signal by default, which means the default 3 pilot should be able to run ECCM 3, which is not less than the best headjammer rating possible. furthermore, i wouldn't think it's too uncommon for a drone that you expect to be autonomous to have response/pilot 4 or 5, even as early as chargen, which means it could run ECCM 4 for an effective signal of 8. (incidentally, imo a headjammer should be able to pack more oomph than a mere rating 6, but whatever).

additionally, i would say it only makes sense that direction radio should be a possibility, and as such would rule that you could program your drone (given appropriate software... prob electronic warfare at any rating, maybe add in scan) to simply track your location vs it's location, and use a relatively narrow radio transmission for communication.
hobgoblin
1.) As I said, you have agents, you have nodes with attributes. No reason to add an edditional entity. Adding additional entities of rules when they are unnecessary is anti streamlining. If there is a reason, please give it, if not, its anti streamlined.

cute, real cute.

your not helping the confusion by stating that nodes have attributes. nodes do not have attributes, comlinks and similar have. nodes are just a logical construct on the matrix to help locate and interact with the comlink or other hardware device.

maybe its clearer to me because i have a interest in computers and networking and see that for the first time in ages, the SR matrix rules are, at least in concept, close to the logic of how a real world network functions.

The obvious approach is to say:

Pilot is an agent running on the nodes vehicle. The agent is running autosoft. This makes it very clear what can be upgraded and how it can be upgraded. As I said, there are already rules for that.

In the case of RAW, it is absolutely not clear whether the pilot can be attacked in VR, whether it counts towards the Response Rating, how to upgrade System and Firewall without Pilot and so forth.

all your problems appear because you assume that pilot is a extra attribute alongside system. its not. just check the pilot entry in the matrix jargon sidebar on page 216.

sure, its under the agent/ic/pilot entry in the price list. but thats because it costs extra to have the decision code added.

sometimes i wonder if not your trying to create the appearance of extra complexity in the matrix rules so that you can flog your pdfs and say "look everyone, the savior is here with his revised religious text" or something like that.

basically, i have yet to find one post from you about drones or matrix rules thats the least bit helpful. more often then not they rather add to the confusion.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Hobgoblin)

cute, real cute.

Would you please answer the points raised instead of being childish? Or would you want to be taken for a child?

I quote them again so you may anser the questions:

QUOTE (Serbitar)

-------

your not helping the confusion by stating that nodes have attributes. nodes do not have attributes, comlinks and similar have. nodes are just a logical construct on the matrix to help locate and interact with the comlink or other hardware device.

It really does not matter to me how you define nodes. I am talking about the thing that has matrix attributes and can run agents and personae. Call it how you wish. It does not change the argument.

maybe its clearer to me because i have a interest in computers and networking and see that for the first time in ages, the SR matrix rules are, at least in concept, close to the logic of how a real world network functions.

Rules should work without background knowledge. But I congratulate you to your knowledge.

all your problems appear because you assume that pilot is a extra attribute alongside system. its not. just check the pilot entry in the matrix jargon sidebar on page 216.

Wrong, all the questions in this thread arise, because a pilot is not an agent but an OS. If there was no problem, this thread would not contain these questions. It does, so the problem is there. And there are enough other threads about exactly this topic. You cant ignore that.

Furthermore:

QUOTE ("SR4 p. 216")

Pilot - A robotic brain program, similar to System, but including semi-autonomous desicion-making abilites. Used for agents and drones.

So an Agent needs a Pilot which is System? Well, have fun explaining this . . .

sure, its under the agent/ic/pilot entry in the price list. but thats because it costs extra to have the decision code added.

Your interpretation. If that is what is intended its even more confusing and should be errated.

sometimes i wonder if not your trying to create the appearance of extra complexity in the matrix rules so that you can flog your pdfs and say "look everyone, the savior is here with his revised religious text" or something like that.

I dont have to, the fact that people ask questions about it and discuss it is enough.

basically, i have yet to find one post from you about drones or matrix rules thats the least bit helpful. more often then not they rather add to the confusion.

You are free to ignore them.
hobgoblin
ugh how i hate replying to chopped up posts...

childish or not childish, i don't really care. children have an ability to see things in ways adults do not. and often that can lead to interesting insights. therefor i don't see being branded as childish as a negative thing wink.gif

Rules should work without background knowledge. But I congratulate you to your knowledge.

thanks, i guess. problem is that given how new the SR4 matrix system is, it could fill a book the size of SR4 alone if one where to try and impart a detailed description of all the concepts and other stuff floating around in the text.

So an Agent needs a Pilot which is System? Well, have fun explaining this . . .

huh? what is there to explain? ok, so there is a bit of circular logic in that agents are running on top of system. but if one envision the agent as a kind of virtual computer. or maybe a better ingame comparison is a virtual drone wink.gif the issue goes away nyahnyah.gif

Your interpretation. If that is what is intended its even more confusing and should be errated.

maybe added was the wrong word to use. maybe i should have written included. you say potato, i say potato nyahnyah.gif

I dont have to, the fact that people ask questions about it and discuss it is enough.

yes, but your not helping to contain the debates by presenting a highly alternate take on the rules. and more often then not the questions could be answered if only the threads from the time around the release of SR4 had been stickied.

people seems to avoid searching, or reading threads that are below the first page or so (the latter not being helped by people accusing them of thread necromancy if they happens to post on a old thread).

so having a stickied forum faq would be highly helpful (any of the moderators watching this?).

the number of threads on a subject do not equal the severity of the problem imo. mostly its people looking to confirm if their take on the text at hand is the "correct" one.

then people like you come flogging their alternate views and presto confusion sets in and a debate starts.

hell, the original starter of this thread is long gone. when looking back, we are into a third layer of debate at least nyahnyah.gif

You are free to ignore them.

believe me i try. but that could be seen as agreeing with your take on the rules, something i do not.
Serbitar
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jan 7 2007, 07:48 PM)

then people like you come flogging their alternate views and presto confusion sets in and a debate starts.

THIS is a valid concern.

But then, I make it very clear, that this is my view and not RAW. So there should be no problem.

Would you please now answer my question number 1?

Why do you need the additional entity of pilot (however it is defined) when the entity of agent is already defined, that does exactly what the entity pilot does with existing rule mechanics?

BTW: I could add another link in my sig to a page saying "Hobgoblin does not agree with this" if that would make you happy.
hobgoblin
the pilot is needed because its not quite a "agent" and at the same time not quite a "system". its a blending of both and the new entry/name indicates this.

and i don't see the need for a extra entry in your sig smile.gif
Serbitar
That does not answer my question. Why is it not just an agent? What hinders you to just use an agent as the drone pilot running on the drones CPU (as you dont like the term node).

Why the need to invent something else when the existing rule concepts already perfectly cover it?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Serbitar)
Why do you need the additional entity of pilot (however it is defined) when the entity of agent is already defined, that does exactly what the entity pilot does with existing rule mechanics?

It's the other way round:

Agents are Pilots not running on hardware directly and having an integrated Firewall.
Basic case of inheritance...
Serbitar
Rules wise the basic entity is the agent.

Everybody understands agents (well at least a little), but nobody does understand pilots.
Konsaki
Agent - Generic muti-program platform utility for use in the Matrix

Pilot - Specialised multi-program platform utility designed specificly for a set device (Drone)
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Serbitar)

No. That's why Agents have a Pilot rating - not Pilots having an Agent rating.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Everybody understands agents (well at least a little), but nobody does understand pilots.

..get some sleep, man.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Serbitar)

We are talking about Drone Pilots which are a combination of agent plus OS. Not about Pilot Rating. So, I'm afraid, agent is the basic entity.

If you were right, agents would, like pilots, have a system rating and be, like pilots, an OS. But they dont. Please consult the relevant rules.

..get some sleep, man.

No relevant comments? Maybe you should wake up?
cetiah

Serbitar, I mostly agree with you, but I want to address your questions anyway:

1) Pilot is used for the obvious reason of identifying drone systems in the book. Perhaps that's not really needed, but I thought it looked a little smoother in the vehicle entries and seeing a System rating would have confused me at first.

2) System generally implies a computer system, doesn't it? Pilot has its own implication. Yes, it's just another SYSTEM once you read the wireless world rules, but it's pretty easy to identify the differences between a commlink and a citymaster. Also, we have a general idea of what the citymaster's "system" was made to do and generally speaking the GM is going to be limiting its functions only to these vehicle-related uses. Again, not really necessary per se. But a reason nontheless.

3) All agents are programs, right? And systems are limited to how many programs they can be running simultaneously? Aren't programs easier to crash, too? And if Pilots were agents (instead of System), then they would function as IC. Do they? Should they? (I'm asking these as questions, because I'm really not familiar with the way agents work in the RAW. I haven't had any in my game yet.)
Jaid
QUOTE (Serbitar)
That does not answer my question. Why is it not just an agent? What hinders you to just use an agent as the drone pilot running on the drones CPU (as you dont like the term node).

Why the need to invent something else when the existing rule concepts already perfectly cover it?

a drone's pilot rating is part of the OS. therefore it does not draw on the OS's resources.

additionally, it also means that the drone's pilot cannot move from device to device, but is rather stuck in place.

there you have it; differences between a pilot program and an agent.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Serbitar)
QUOTE (Serbitar)

We are talking about Drone Pilots which are a combination of agent plus OS.

No. There is no such term as 'Drone Pilot', and Pilots are defined as a decision making versions of System. Then Agents are defined as independent Programs with Pilots...

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Not about Pilot Rating. So, I'm afraid, agent is the basic entity.

Where did you made this up from?

QUOTE (Serbitar)
If you were right, agents would, like pilots, have a system rating and be, like pilots, an OS. But they dont.

RTFM.
Agents are Nodes themselves and can load (and run) Programs. They can even stora Data within them.
By the rules, you need System to run Programs - so Agents clearly have System... as they have Pilot, and Pilot is defined... yaddayadda. See the picture?

QUOTE (Serbitar)
QUOTE (Serbitar)

..get some sleep, man.

No relevant comments?

The relevant, though not really polite comment would be:
Stop pulling general assumptions out of you ass about understanding:
The only thing that is obvious from this thread is: You don't understand neither Pilots nor Agents.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Rotbart)

QUOTE (Serbitar)

QUOTE (SR4 p.227)

Agents have a Pilot attribute just like drones [...] that determines just how "smart" the agent is.

--------------

QUOTE (Rotbart)

RTFM.
Agents are Nodes themselves and can load (and run) Programs. They can even stora Data within them.
By the rules, you need System to run Programs - so Agents clearly have System... as they have Pilot, and Pilot is defined... yaddayadda. See the picture?

Agents are nodes??? Maybe you should rethink this assumptions pulling thing.
Please see the definition of nodes further up in this thread or page 216 of SR4.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Serbitar)
QUOTE (Rotbart)

QUOTE (Serbitar)

QUOTE (SR4 p.227)

Agents have a Pilot attribute just like drones [...] that determines just how "smart" the agent is.

Q.E.D. - no such game-term as 'Pilot Rating'.
Indeed, Pilot is an Attribute, and, as the rule you quoted states, Agents are derived from Pilots.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Agents are nodes?

Yes. They feature Firewall and Pilot(=System), and thus are accessible.
That's what you call a virtual machine.
Konsaki
RvD, your last statement is incorrect. An Agent has a rating of 1 to 6 as a whole. It then uses this number as a limiter on all its attributes, based off what attributes the node it is currently running on has.

A 3/3/3/3 system running a rank 4 agent will have that agent run at 3/3/3/3 for all intensive perposes.
If you threw a rank 2 agent on it, it would have the attribute values of 2/2/2/2.

If you have a rank 4 agent on a 3/5/2/4 node, the agent would have attributes of 3/4/2/4. (arbitrary numbers for example perposes only)

The agent itself does not have a System or Firewall of its own, and damn sure doesnt have Response nor Signal due to those two attributes being hardware. Lacking the last two attributes, on its own, means that an agent is not a node. It is though, a multi-program platform able to 'think' on its own to a certain degree.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Konsaki)
RvD, your last statement is incorrect.

Let's see...

QUOTE (Konsaki)
The agent itself does not have a System or Firewall of its own, and damn sure doesnt have Response nor Signal due to those two attributes being hardware.

QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p. 227, Agents)
Agents have their own built-in Firewall attribute, equal to their Pilot rating. Agents use the Response attribute of whatever node they are run on; this means that the attributes of an agent operating independently may vary as it moves from node to node.

As Pilot replaces System... yaddayadda.

Agents don't have their own hardware attributes, but they do have the software ones.
Of course, some are limited on Response...
Serbitar
QUOTE (Rotbart)

Q.E.D. - no such game-term as 'Pilot Rating'.
Indeed, Pilot is an Attribute, and, as the rule you quoted states, Agents are derived from Pilots.

Make it pilot attribute then. What I mean is that it explicitly mean something else instead of the whole pilot.

If Agents are derived from Pilots, I really wonder how Pilots can be a "special type of OS" (SR4 p. 216) . Agents are not described as OS at all.

You can say what you want, but the picture is lacking somewhere.

And again, I am talking not about any background knowledge (concerning your virtual machine example, which might be valid). I am talking purely about rules consistency and understandability.
If agents were virtual machines (and thus node like) this would have to be indicated somewhere in the rules, but it isnt. And there would have to be rules how a virtual node was handled (whoch dont exist). Again I can only point to the confusion in this thread as an example.

When agents were nodes (and they are definitely no nodes as defined by SR4), another question would arise: Why are personae without an agent rating not nodes? Why do personae use the ratings of the nodes they are running on and agents dont? What is the difference except that the "intelligence" part is a brain on the one hand and a software program, on the other?

I can see that the interpretation of agents as virtual nodes makes sense, but the open questions that arise (why doesnt pilot have firewall if an agent has? are you able to hack the virtual node directly, or do you have to hack the mother node first? can you upgrade the virtual nodes system independently from its pilot rating?) are not handled by RAW at all. The concept is in my opinion to complex to be intended for a basic rulebook.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Serbitar)
Make it pilot attribute then. What I mean is that it explicitly mean something else instead of the whole pilot.

..what do you mean by 'the whole Pilot'?
It's nothing more than Pilot.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
If Agents are derived from Pilots, I really wonder how Pilots can be a "special type of OS" (SR4 p. 216) . Agents are not described as OS at all.

Yet they have an OS to run Programs on.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Why are personae without an agent rating not nodes?

There is no persona without node.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Why do personae use the ratings of the nodes they are running on and agents dont?

Uh... it's exactly that way for agents.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
I can see that the interpretation of agents as virtual nodes makes sense, but the open questions that arise (why doesnt pilot have firewall if an agent has?

Because the rules say so and use Device ratings for the rest.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
are you able to hack the virtual node directly, or do you have to hack the mother node first?

Sounds like hopping nodes to me.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
can you upgrade the virtual nodes system independently from its pilot rating?) are not handled by RAW at all.

You can't, as the only remaining attribute for Agents (Firewall) is set to an automated value.
Serbitar

..what do you mean by 'the whole Pilot'?
It's nothing more than Pilot.

I mean Pilot without OS

Yet they have an OS to run Programs on.

Once could equally well say, the programs run on the nodes OS, but are only managed by the agent.

Uh... it's exactly that way for agents.

No. As you tried to explain, agents have their own independent system and firewall. A persona uses the system and firewall ratings of the node they are running on. Agents dont.

A Persona running on a system 5 node would have system 5. A rating 3 agent would have system 3. Thats a difference.

Because the rules say so and use Device ratings for the rest.

In an agrument about rules, the phrase "because rules say so" is not really a reason.

Sounds like hopping nodes to me.

Yes, it would, if thought through. But still, there is nothing about that even remotely indicated in the rulebook.

You can't, as the only remaining attribute for Agents (Firewall) is set to an automated value.

Not System, too? As you explained?

Your node interpretation can be evolved into a consistent explanation. But the rulebook does not support it. If the node interpretation was the intention than it did a really really bad job. (Even worse than I now think it does).
Leehouse
QUOTE (kerbarian)
QUOTE (Magus)

Hmm. I just scanned through that thread, and it seems to largely be discussions about what fancy tricks would work for protecting drones. I've been thinking about this a little myself, and here's what I've come up with that has a clear basis in the rules:

To protect against hacking:
  • Upgrade the drone's Pilot and Firewall. Pilot is the equivalent of System on a drone, and thus it requires upgrading Response first. You can run Firewall 6 on any hardware, though.
  • Run agent(s) to defend the node. In order to avoid a response decrease on the drone itself, you could buy extra commlinks and run the agents there, and then the agents log into the drone and watch for intruders.
  • Encrypt the device. A hacker would have to successfully Decrypt the node before he could use the Command program to control the drone. This one isn't quite clear in the rules, but there's a thread with some clarifications here.
To protect against spoofing:
  • Upgrade the drone's Pilot and Firewall (see above under hacking defense).
  • Encrypt your connection to the drone, to make it harder for the attacker to determine your access ID.
  • From the FAQ, "You can tell a Pilot to ignore certain commands or to only follow pre-specified commands", which limits the damage a spoofer can cause. For example, you could tell your drone to ignore orders to kick you off or transfer command to anyone else.
  • The FAQ also mentions that the GM can "apply a dice pool modifier to the hacker for the Opposed Test equal to -3 for security privileges or -6 for admin privileges" for spoofing tests. You could configure your drone so that it only takes combat orders from an admin account. It's up to your GM, but you can try to convince him to go with the idea in the FAQ and impose a penalty on spoofing commands to your drones.
Finally, there are a few things that aren't really extra defensive measures, but you should make sure your GM takes them into account when hacking/spoofing your drones.
  • Your drones will always be operating in hidden mode (unless you have some reason to broadcast their presence). This means that after an opposing hacker spots the drone, he still needs to make an Electronic Warfare + Scan (4) Test (p. 225 of the BBB) to find its node. He can't start his hacking attempt or try to send a spoofed command until then.
  • Spoofing a drone requires that you impersonate someone who's currently controlling the drone. If no legitimate user is controlling the drone -- e.g. it's unsubscribed and operating on its own -- then it can't be spoofed (though it could still be hacked).
  • From the BBB p.224, "In order to spoof orders, you must first complete a successful Matrix Perception Test on the persona you are impersonating in order to gain its acccess ID." I generally assume that you can make that perception test if you can listen to (decrypted) traffic coming from the controller, but it's not actually worded that way. If your GM wants to make spoofing harder, he could rule that you need to be logged into a node that the drone controller is also logged into in order to examine his persona. That makes spoofing essentially impossible without hacking first, assuming the drone controller has spoofed up a fresh, fake access ID right before the run.
[edit: removed references to System on a drone -- it only has Pilot]

Thank you for the easy to follow list, and in fact that I avoided the other thread was it seemed to be a place for special tricks and other things not accounted for or authorized by the rules. Not that that's a bad thing, but my GM is somewhat of a stickler. Anyway, thanks again.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Serbitar)
I mean Pilot without OS

That's a nice theory, but Pilot is defined as OS+decisionmaking...

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Once could equally well say, the programs run on the nodes OS, but are only managed by the agent.

One could say that the sky is pink, too:
That would render Agents useless - I leave it up to your understanding to find out why that is the case.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
As you tried to explain, agents have their own independent system and firewall. A persona uses the system and firewall ratings of the node they are running on. Agents dont.

The point is - where does the Persona run, where does the Agent?

QUOTE (Serbitar)
In an agrument about rules, the phrase "because rules say so" is not really a reason.

Nice one - there is no need for a 'reason'.
It's defined that way and one could assume that it was done for the same reason as Device ratings.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Yes, it would, if thought through. But still, there is nothing about that even remotely indicated in the rulebook.

As hopping nodes is defined broad enough, it is.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Not System, too? As you explained?

Well, once more: Pilot replacing System, yaddayadda.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
Your node interpretation can be evolved into a consistent explanation. But the rulebook does not support it.

It is consistend enough for the part that is supportted by the book to be used.

QUOTE (Serbitar)
If the node interpretation was the intention than it did a really really bad job. (Even worse than I now think it does).

How generous of you.
cetiah

It might help you to clear both your points up if you consider Pilot and System to be two seperate types of OSs. The OS, in this case, being the software behind the System (or Pilot) attribute.

The Pilot OS is not the System OS + something else, but rather is highly limited form of OS designed to be handled for special hardware, namely a drone. It doesn't have all of the abilities of the full-suite "desktop" System-OS, but does have all of the utilities necessary to run a vehicle, including features normally installed with agents.

Like how there's special Media-friendly Operating Systems now designed with that use in mind. It may not have all of the versatility (or compatibility) as other OSes have, but it has all the software built-in to do one thing and do it well.

I wonder what would happen if I put this Pilot OS onto my commlink.... ::grin::
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (cetiah)
The Pilot OS is not the System OS + something else, but rather is highly limited form of OS designed to be handled for special hardware, namely a drone. It doesn't have all of the abilities of the full-suite "desktop" System-OS, but does have all of the utilities necessary to run a vehicle, including features normally installed with agents.

That may be Rob's houserule, but not the RAW.
Per RAW, Pilot can run on devices if those are desired to make decisions, and has no mechanical shortcomings to System.

System, on the other hand, when installed on a vehicle, may not allow the vehicle to steer itself, but otherwise does not has any drawbacks concerning (remote) control, etc.
otakusensei
Hold on, I think there's merit in the Pilot =/= OS+Agent thinking. If that was so, is a drone with pilot was only an OS with an agent running then wouldn't the response be lowered and wouldn't they mention that somewhere. You'd think that would be an important point.
Both of you are missing something. Serb, if you can't figure out why pilot exists, it's most likely because you're missing something. RVD, saying that an agent is a node is a major stretch. I think both of you should go back and read the book with an open mind.

Take that from one rules lawyer to another.
cetiah
QUOTE (otakusensei @ Jan 9 2007, 12:27 PM)
Hold on, I think there's merit in the Pilot =/= OS+Agent thinking.  If that was so, is a drone with pilot was only an OS with an agent running then wouldn't the response be lowered and wouldn't they mention that somewhere.  You'd think that would be an important point.
Both of you are missing something.  Serb, if you can't figure out why pilot exists, it's most likely because you're missing something.  RVD, saying that an agent is a node is a major stretch.  I think both of you should go back and read the book with an open mind.

Take that from one rules lawyer to another.

1) I don't believe Serbitar is missing anything. Pilot is a separate type of System (that follows slightly different rules) that replaces System in the case of Drones. Why have a special case just for drones? Tradition? Why not have special cases for other stuff? (Hacking cyberwear, for example, cries out for more 'special rules' than drones do.) I don't think he's denying that Pilot is different from System, just that it's different without necessity. It might have been cleaner and smoother to have a special type of Agent (with piloting capability) that could have been put on any system, from cars to automatic doors and sprinkler systems. We already have IC as a type of agent, making Pilot into a type of agent would have opened the doors for all kinds of specialized Systems.

2) I believe the idea is that Pilot is an OS with an Agent built in, not an extra program that takes additional system resources. Otherwise you run into this weird situation where the system is taking away the system's resources. Which I don't really have a problem with, but doesn't seem to be the intent of the rules.

3) Agents are not nodes. Nodes are not agents. Nodes are kind of the virtual locations where virtual agents reside and carry out their functions. That being said, the dividing line where one node ends and another begins is non-existent in the rulebook. We all know that commlinks are their own nodes and that this node extends to other devices besides the user's commlink in an interconnected network. At first I ruled that Pilots were their own nodes and required their own firewalls and such, but after playing I decided to treat it as part of the same node as the primary owner's commlink. So the commlink firewall, response, and system applies to all of a user's commlinks, cyberwear, weapons, drones, and other devices. If a drone or other device is encountered outside the signal range of the owner's commlink, it creates its own node automatically (because it can't function without one) using its own hacking stats or device rating and any applicable programs installed (which can be assumed to be copied over by the owner before leaving range or becoming disconnected, if desired). (Agents must reside on one node and cannot be copied. I don't know why - it just seemed in the spirit of the rules.)

4) Reading the rulebook with an open mind is generally good advice, but I fear it won't help much. In this case, I think the rulebook is requiring the GM to make certain judgment calls (read "assumptions") such as when one node ends and another begins, and all parties involved here are working off their basic assumptions. The rulebook fairly clearly outlined WHAT can be done and what can't; I think this debate is on the WHY.

5) Yes, my previous post wasn't talking about house rules. It's on the RAW that System represents your OS and Pilot replaces System, therefore Pilot is a type of OS. Within the game rules, the OS (read "System" or "Pilot") is considered software, but isn't considered a program and Agents are clearly programs installed into a node (which is established by the System or Pilot [read "Operating System"]). In fact, for the purposes of this argument, I'd almost agree with Node = OS, except I think the OS is what makes the Node and Pilot or System is the OS. (Therefore you can't have more than one System [and/or Pilot] rating on a Node, and you need a System [and/or] Pilot on the node.

6) Completely off-topic, almost: For those of you (no names) who are thinking about making your own Wireless World chapter replacements, I'm thinking of reverting back to Mp might be better than using Response. Response doesn't seem to be helping anyone that I can see. I think tracking the Mp cost to run a particular program would be easier for the GM to calculate current Mp available, make more sense for everyone, and really appeal to players who like tweaking numbers like these. It's ridiculous to say that we don't have to track memory because of tech advances in 2070, but then have an abstract Response attribute that dwindles to nothing as more and more requests are made on the System/Pilot (OS).
cetiah
That may be Rob's houserule, but not the RAW.
Per RAW, Pilot can run on devices if those are desired to make decisions, and has no mechanical shortcomings to System.

Who's Rob?
Serbitar
Some guy that writes SR4 rules and fluff. Ah, and the line developer of Shadowrun.
Serbitar
QUOTE (otakusensei)
Serb, if you can't figure out why pilot exists, it's most likely because you're missing something.

My precise issue is, that I would not add the desicion making part of SR4 Pilot and the OS part of SR4 Pilot together. It is much easier to have a reductionistic approach and let agents be simple programms, and everytime you wnt intelligence, you just let this program run, leaving all the other rules as they are.

But I already said that a couple of times.
Serbitar
QUOTE (cetiah @ Jan 10 2007, 04:44 AM)

1)  I don't believe Serbitar is missing anything.  Pilot is a separate type of System (that follows slightly different rules) that replaces System in the case of Drones.  Why have a special case just for drones?  Tradition?  Why not have special cases for other stuff?  (Hacking cyberwear, for example, cries out for more 'special rules' than drones do.)  I don't think he's denying that Pilot is different from System, just that it's different without necessity.  It might have been cleaner and smoother to have a special type of Agent (with piloting capability) that could have been put on any system, from cars to automatic doors and sprinkler systems.  We already have IC as a type of agent, making Pilot into a type of agent would have opened the doors for all kinds of specialized Systems. 

Exactly.

But as I mentioned above, the ideal case would be to not intermix the AI part of Pilot/Agent with the System part at all! It is not necessary. Just take your normal node, put a normal agent on it (that uses the nodes System and Firewall ratings just like every other persona does) and let it take the place of the rigger/hacker.

The agent rating only replaces the riggers/hackers attributes. Everything else stays the same.

Thats as easy as it can get. No extra rules needed.

No replacing of System by the agent, no replacing of Firewall, no replacement of anything except the riggers/hackers attributes and skills.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (cetiah)
I think tracking the Mp cost to run a particular program would be easier for the GM to calculate current Mp available, make more sense for everyone, and really appeal to players who like tweaking numbers like these.

..you know, the times when you had to worry about memory allocation ended with the DOS era.
cetiah

..you know, the times when you had to worry about memory allocation ended with the DOS era.

Perhaps a topic for another thread, but I'll address it briefly. It's often a staple of most cyberpunk literature that I've seen (not that I've seen that much) that included VR Matrix-like interactions, that users always seem to have to make these choices, shutting off one program to replace it with another. In VR, these requirements make sense, as you shut down your 'Book' or 'Phone' program to replace it with your 'Sword' program. So we can presume that software eventually 'catches up' with hardware. And they always seem to turn off programs that they're not using right now (as opposed to having books and swords floating in the air next to them, available for reach at any time).

I'm picturing an idea where available programs for use are limited by the amount of memory taken up on a commlink. Perhaps memory is equal to Response * 100. Programs, on average, would take up Rating * 20 with Agents probably taking up quite a bit more. If you need more memory, you can "allocate it", reducing System by 1 to gain 100 more memory (or perhaps Response * 50). Just messing with the idea though; still thinking about it. I'm also considering making Firewall just another utility program. Thus, an "active alert" is simply an allocation of memory to load a higher rating firewall program.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012