Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Protecting drones from hackers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
neko128
QUOTE (Eleazar)
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Aug 9 2007, 07:50 PM)
"Magic did it," was the GM's reply. He reasoned that we used a metallic sheath for the datacable to protect it from easy snapping and cutting attempts.

But it really was just the GM swatting down one of our "brilliant" ideas.

The magic still has the properties of a lightning bolt and thus works like electricity. Metallic sheath is NOT used to protect fiber cables. Kevlar is, and kevlar is non-conductive. He better be glad he is not my GM. The only kevlar that is conductive AFAIK is mettalized kevlar but that isn't used for fiber cable.

Yes, because threatening the GM is always such a good plan?
otakusensei
Threats come with the territory. It's when you show up and there's no players, just a note tacked to the table with a knife that says something about your cat and a ransom listed in nuyen...
BRodda
QUOTE (Leehouse)
My current situation is that i'm playing a rigger, in a game that is starting up soon. Our entire group, myself included, is very new to shadowrun(we are taking a break from DnD) and my main concern now that I have the character fully statted out is, how do I keep my drones on my side? From what I've read it seems ridiculously easy for hacker to hack into my drones, and jump in or spoof commands at them all day long.

If you really wanted secure you could just rip the antenna out and run the drone off of your datajack. Of course that would leave you with a nice fiber optic trail that leads back to you and you could get hung up on something. Still if you’re in a bad static zone or there is a spider constantly checking for unknown signals it could give you a huge edge.
otakusensei
I had one player suggest laser links. Semi-wireless and hard to intercept. Not perfect but another option.
deek
I think the other thing to keep in mind, is there will never be a way to be 100% safe in all situations. I mean, not even, say, 75% in all situations. Different scenarios may require you to run your drones differently, but what I am getting from this thread, is that some people are looking for a solution that covers all scenarios, and that is just an impossible expectation.

In some scenarios, just using standard wi-fi access via your comm is going to be more than sufficient, other times it won't. Same with using a wire, laser link, pre-recorded commands, etc.

I think a rigger that is able to do all of these and then chooses which one based on the circumstances is going to be the best prepared. Kinda reminds me of discussions when people ask what is the best spell to have...it all just depends, so having a variety will keep you well-equipped to deal with whatever the GM is throwing at you.
otakusensei
It is the sign of a well designed game system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012