Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM/player dispute during a mission
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
ShadowDragon
On the last mission my players took, the PCs were supposed to plant a suitcase full of 7-7 gas inside a corporate building. The Johnson told them that the suitcase had incriminating evidence that Lonestar would find during an upcoming raid. What the Johnson didn't tell them was that the suitcase was full of 7-7 gas and was designed to release enough gas to kill anyone inside of the building after being triggered by a combat spell. Lonestar was never actually intended to find anything but dead employees. Anyway, the PCs got caught sneaking inside the building and were shot up pretty badly. The group mage had the brilliant idea to pull a kamikaze by throwing a force 12 ball lightning in the middle of the combat, which would catch all the security he could see, as well as the team EXCEPT for one PC. Unfortunately the suitcase was being held by one of the PCs caught in the ball lightning so it released the 7-7 gas, killing the PC outside the ball lightning.

Here's the problem - the player of the PC killed by the 7-7 thinks that ball lightning of that magnitude should have rendered the 7-7 gas inert. I said no, but agreed to post here to see everyone's opinion.
Konsaki
Methinks it's time to roll up some new characters...
Thane36425
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Methinks it's time to roll up some new characters...

I would agree. It would probably be best not to let that player be a mage again. The other players must have been really pleased with his solution to that problem.
Moon-Hawk
It is generally wise to minimise the "mysterious case's" exposure to all manner of explosions, both magical and otherwise. smile.gif
Ophis
The case was designed to protect the contents using some sort of triggered ward right? some anchoring varient I presume, so the gas was released after the case got hit so no lightning. Plus the case was a complete faraday cage so the lightning never affected the contents. does that sound okay?
Serbitar
I would say that fire could have done the job (though not knowing what the actual composition of seven7 is) if it was organic it would have burned.

But lightning? Not really.
Moon-Hawk
Look, it's easy. The lightning killed everyone except this one PC, right? So this one PC is the only one who has issue with the gas, right?
Okay, so if he permanently reduces his edge by one point (See the Escape Certain Death rules) then the lightning must've somehow nullified the seven7. Otherwise, it didn't.

Seems simple enough. smile.gif
BishopMcQ
It depends on what the trigger mechanism was for the device. Speaking without much practical experience, I don't think the flash of electricity would have rendered the compound inert. The military uses napalm and the like to smother and burn gas weapons, presumably because traditional explosives wouldn't effectively accomplish the same task.

One possibility is depending on how the gas was meant to be delivered, the delivery system could have been destroyed so that it wasn't released properly or at the very least without optimal spread. Though since the original post mentioned release through combat spell, I'd presume that the container wasn't primed with explosives but rather was a delicate container to be targeted with a powerbolt or wreck.

I think the runners did a good job of killing their own. Write this off as a "First Run" type experience and start with a new team. Otherwise, they can use all the same characters just back off any karma and change the names to protect the innocent.

Edit: I agree with Moon-Hawk.
djinni
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Okay, so if he permanently reduces his edge by one point (See the Escape Certain Death rules) then the lightning must've somehow nullified the seven7. Otherwise, it didn't.

when the rest of the group says "Oh hey I do that too!"
tell them "okay you aren't dead but you have been captrued by the corp. runner X was concious enough to evade capture..."
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jan 9 2007, 02:30 PM)
Okay, so if he permanently reduces his edge by one point (See the Escape Certain Death rules) then the lightning must've somehow nullified the seven7.  Otherwise, it didn't.

tell them "okay you aren't dead but you have been captrued by the corp. runner X was concious enough to evade capture..."

Hell yes!
It's "Escape Certain Death" not "Get Out of Jail Free". Be evil!
deek
It doesn't sound like anyone but the complaining PC died. I would have allowed him to burn a point of Edge to miraculously survive, as that can always be replenished with karma.

Did you give any further clues that something in the case could be triggered? Even though the mission was a basic sneak and plant, you should always be wary that combat could ensue. And with a mage in the group, I don't see anyone would be surprised that a combat spell could be used...granted, force 12 was insane, but it sounded like the team survived the spell...

It just seems to me that giving the PCs an unknown device that could be triggered by something they may do within reason, is asking for some trouble...IMO.
Thanee
So, did the mage kill himself with the spell or with the Drain? eek.gif

Bye
Thanee
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (deek)
It doesn't sound like anyone but the complaining PC died.

I'm not sure, but it was my impression that everyone died, the complaining PC is just the only one complaining about it.
Cynic project
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
s full of 7-7 gas and was designed to release enough gas to kill anyone inside of the building after being triggered by a combat spell. Lonestar was never actually intended to find anything but dead employees.

WTF? Really What the fuck. Let's see. Someone set up a trap that reqired that someone use magic to blow a suit case. Let's see how this makes my head hurt. So this suit case was sent to kill abunch f people.A whole lot in fact, but it would only kill them if someone threw a combat spell at it? How many times do you think people say, look it si a suit case let's throw a combat spell at it! If for whatever reason a spell would damage the case enough to make it unlikely the gas would kill anyone..It would do so if the gas was triggered that way or not.

So why would it be triggered with a combat spell?Really tell me that. If you can tell me that I will give you the time of the day.Until then you may as well be playing GM Vs players, and no one wins that.
Moon-Hawk
Note: I have nothing to do with this campaign, I'm just mouthy.

Why would it be triggered by a combat spell? The aggressive party here didn't have the technical ability to design a reliable triggering mechanism. But they did have magic. So they just sealed it in a bottle, and then targeted the bottle using ritual sorcery (they kept the cup from the thermos lid, for example), allowing them to release the gas from afar.
Banaticus
Were you the guy who died, Cynic project?
Cheops
QUOTE (Banaticus)

Sounds to me like he is.

It's actually a pretty good trigger if you ask me.
Bashfull
Point of clarification:

Was the player who complained the same person as was running the spell-happy mage? In which case, if anyone deserved a demise, it was him/her. I reckon the Edge point solution is the right one. You could say the fireball burnt it (arf, arf).
Rotbart van Dainig
It was a Lightning Ball.

And no, it couldn't have oxidized the 7-Seven, as that was released after the spell hit it's container... undless the spell was sustained at least one round.
yoippari
I sort of have to ask, if you didn't intend on killing the PCs, what is the point of a combat spell triggered chemical weapon? Who would set it off if not the PCs?
BishopMcQ
The scenario Moon-Hawk laid out is pretty much what I was seeing as happening. Though even if the individual had the technical ability, he may not have had the physical ability to place the device without a trace, hence the use of deniable assets. Afterall, even in the case of the runners failing, the johnson gets what he wanted--a lot of dead Star.
Zen Shooter01
Lightning Ball is instant duration, right?

So the container is broken open. An instant later, the gas comes out. But by then the spell is over.

But, better solution: tell the PC that you're the gamemaster, and he isn't.
Butterblume
On a side note, as player I get pretty suspicious when my char is ordered to deposit a container with unknown contents somewhere. especially inside a populated building. My very first run a dozen years back used that (then not so old) ploy, and since then it's been repeated several times.

Depending on mood, sometimes I play along, other times I just want to find out what's in the container first cyber.gif.
ShadowDragon
For the curious, the case was to be detonated by ritual sorcery and was covered by a custom ward. I didn't give any clues as to the contents of the case, but I was prepared to if the PCs took any action to make this discovery. They didn't - they surprisingly did very little legwork for this mission. I don't want to say anything more because I plan on reusing the plot and I know that at least one of my players reads this forum.

To clarify, the entire group died. The entire group was very unlucky with perception so they got ambushed after they decided to wait until they heard a guard approaching (yeah it confused me too, but I asked them if they were sure twice...). It also didn't help that the group hacker alerted the security hacker to their presence before waiting in the hall for the guard. The face and the sammy were unconscious from a drone that made some lucky rolls with full auto (other than it glitching on initiative and missing an IP). A few flash-bangs sealed the deal for the mage, who rolled his con to appear unconscious right before he nuked himself, his team, and the case. I don't know if the drain or the lightning killed him - I guess it would depend on which he feels first? The player complaining had the hacker, who was just outside of the mage's ball lightning. Said hacker also only had 1 total edge, so I don't think burning it is an option.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Lightning Ball is instant duration, right?

So the container is broken open. An instant later, the gas comes out. But by then the spell is over.

But, better solution: tell the PC that you're the gamemaster, and he isn't.

He's not whining about it. We're both adults. He just wanted me to consider the possibility.
Demerzel
If it was a simple matter of consider it I'd say you did, and you're done, he's dead.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (McQuillan)
The scenario Moon-Hawk laid out is pretty much what I was seeing as happening. Though even if the individual had the technical ability, he may not have had the physical ability to place the device without a trace, hence the use of deniable assets. Afterall, even in the case of the runners failing, the johnson gets what he wanted--a lot of dead Star.

Hehe I wouldn't go that far. The Johnson is now fingered for the crime thanks to the runner's cybereye recordings... and yes, it makes perfect sense with my plot. There's always someone bigger.

I've already said too much smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demerzel)
If it was a simple matter of consider it I'd say you did, and you're done, he's dead.

Yeah. Scratch a Fate Point... errr, Edge point.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (djinni @ Jan 9 2007, 02:39 PM)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jan 9 2007, 02:30 PM)

No, what you do is have them wake up in a dark hot cave that smells of sulfur and is dimly lit by a bunch of glowing white-hot rocks in a corner. The only furniture is a table and chair. In the chair sits a figure in a black hooded robe holding a large gleaming scythe. It turns toward the runners and reveals a skeletal face.

"I know what you're going to say. 'Its not my time; I have so much left to do;please let me go back; You have to play a game of chess with us it is the rule. ' It is your time; I don't care; no; and that was a movie, dumbasses".

"But, even I need deniable assets every once in a while. Normally, I am a patient woman; everyone comes to me, eventually. But, those who are immune to the ravages of time may escape me until time itself accepts my touch. One such being, I cannot wait patiently for. If you slay this immortal for me I shall let you continue to live. If you cannot, you won't be any deader for the effort."
Banaticus
Ooh, nice segue.

Even if he only had one point of Edge, he can still permanently burn it to stay alive -- he'll just have no Edge at all unless he can stay alive long enough to buy the attribute up to 1. I believe Edge is like Magic -- you can have a Zero attribute.
Kyoto Kid
...had a similar situation with a "plant the briefcase" mission. This one just being packed with a lot of Plastic Explosive. It is just before the Metroplex Election. Same MO from the Johnson, incriminating evidence against a candidate to be planted in a car on a ferry. Simple mission everyone is told.

Desired end result to be the same, lot of people die when the ferry goes boom in mid Puget Sound. Team is to find their own way off the ferry after planting the case.

....here's where everything goes wrong

Team makes same mistake: not thorough enough on the legwork

Case is actually supposed to be planted by one of the Metas on the team, but task falls to KK4.3 (human) because she is the stealthiest

Secret minicam is planted in car where suitcase is to be placed. KK4.3 recorded sliding briefcase under seat of car. Parked car behind is a tanker truck full of high octane gasoline.

KK4.3 - Logic of 1, does not draw connection seeing the tanker truck, doesn't notice remote minicam recording her.

Team gets off ferry

Ferry goes boom

Later KK4.3 is seen all over the news nets as the one who planted the bomb & goes into hiding.

Rest of team goes after Johnson, who turns out to be affiliated with Brackhaven

Brackhaven loses election.

KK4.3 declared dead in explosion. Time for a total makeover, new SINs etc. Not an actual PC death mind you, but in a way it is the end of KK4.3s "Bushido Cowgirl" concept. KK4.3 works with Violet to raise Logic attribute during downtime & begins looking for a new MO.

Enter...Death Blossom.
Demerzel
I'd say dropping to 0 edge would definatly come with the Bad Luck Quality, oh and NEVER get cought in suppressive fire.

I'm not really the nicest of GMs though, I put my players through this for making a few mistakes on a run... I did however let them live.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Banaticus)

Nope. I have yet to use combat spells in shadowrun dispite playing mostly magically active characters.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Cheops)
QUOTE (Banaticus @ Jan 9 2007, 08:18 PM)

Sounds to me like he is.

Good triger?Why not set up a bomb witht he triger of" Do sell pizza here?" in a burger joint ,or when a woman touches it..and then palce it in a gay bar. You set up triggers based on things you want to hapen, and when you want it to hapen.Or things you don't want to happen. It is far more likely that theyw ould use a bomb to blow it up, over a combat spell. So, really explain to me how it is a good trigger?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Enter...Death Blossom.

Your character was recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada?
BishopMcQ
Pulling out the 80s movie trivia...I generally get blank looks when i say that "I'll have it all figured out by the time we reach the frontier."

Go you for making the plausible connection.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jan 9 2007, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (Cheops @ Jan 9 2007, 03:28 PM)

Sounds to me like he is.

Good triger?Why not set up a bomb witht he triger of" Do sell pizza here?" in a burger joint ,or when a woman touches it..and then palce it in a gay bar. You set up triggers based on things you want to hapen, and when you want it to hapen.Or things you don't want to happen. It is far more likely that theyw ould use a bomb to blow it up, over a combat spell. So, really explain to me how it is a good trigger?

It's a good trigger if you know the NPCs who set it up.

I don't think the guy that died has a user name here, but he does lurk the forums.
SinN
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Here's the problem - the player of the PC killed by the 7-7 thinks that ball lightning of that magnitude should have rendered the 7-7 gas inert. I said no, but agreed to post here to see everyone's opinion.

In my group, no one argues with the GM. If something happens, then it happens. Dont argue or bicker. Move on and make a new charactor. Enough said.
Of course there are times when a GM has made mistakes on info regarding an enemy, but thats neither here nor there. In your situation, he should argue. Its only a game.
SinN
QUOTE (SinN)
In your situation, he should argue. Its only a game.

Shouldnt* argue. Sorry, typo. smile.gif
Kesslan
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jan 9 2007, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (Cheops @ Jan 9 2007, 03:28 PM)

Sounds to me like he is.

It's a good trigger if you know the NPCs who set it up.

I don't think the guy that died has a user name here, but he does lurk the forums.

Its still a relatively good trigger. What your forgetting is that even 'good triggers' can allways screw up.

WIreless signal detonator? Well in this world of wireless do-dads it's reasonably possible some random signal on the same wavelength trips it.

Requiring it be hit with a combat spell isnt any worse. Afterall who the frag targets a breifcase with a combat spell? It's like shooting a fly with a flamethrower.

Having the party mage effectively drop the magical equivilant of a tac nuke on the party isnt one of those expected things either.
ornot
When I first read about this spell triggered bomb I have to admit to going "huh? How is the Johnson or whoever they're working with going to cast a spell at it?" But the point about ritual sorcery is a good one, and it's certainly a viable trigger, especially as telling the runners "make sure you plant it by X-o-clock" or "when you've planted it remember to press this little button" might lead them to twig that it was a bomb. As has been suggested a wireless signal might be blocked, interfered with or inadvertantly duplicated.

The principle disadvantage of the magical approach is traceability by magical forensics, but I guess that's no more a problem than forensics reconstructing the detonator.

As for the lightening neutralising the gas... I would accept that it could, but in order to gas a whole building you'd need a lot of gas, and it's unlikely that all of it would be neutralised. A grenade's worth, perhaps, but not enough to fill a building.

It rather reminds me of my group's Slainey MacRoth incident, in which the titular mage fireballed the boat the rest of the team were on to take out the corp guards that had captured them. Everyone died, including MacRoth who passed out face down because of the drain, and drowned.
ElFenrir
A Force 12 ball lightning is a doozy.

Well, like the other folks said, Edge survivability. You can buy it to 0. Did EVERYONE have 0 edge, or just not want to use it?

And we ALL make mistakes at times, and pick the bad decision. The big of my sig about the Magnetic Hands was a spectacular chain of death decisions a good friend of ours made. The guy is actually a great roleplayer and smart about it. We still laugh at him for this lack of judgement several times in a row, however. (This was SR2 days before edge burning and for some reason, i dont think the hand of god was used here. i think the karma he had was used up already? Perhaps from buying successes for this act.) It started with one bad decision, and several bad decisions later, ended up with him falling a few kilometers to his death.

However, weve roleplayed plenty of times where the guy is great, too. Case is, we all make dumb decisions at times in games, i know i have. I know plenty of mages that have done the 'big kaboom overcast' at the end of it all, and not knowing it was a magical trigger, well, mistakes. The biggest one was probably lack of legwork. (Again, i think alot of players have done that before, i know we did at some points.)

One question, thru legwork, was there ANY way they could have known about the trigger? By the sound of it that was a VERY well guarded secret. Legwork can go so far, but if there is something thats known by say, one group of ritual magicians and the head honcho, the chances are amazingly slim of known this.

As for the gas, im not sure about if it would be burned away or not. A force 12 ball lightning is going to be VERY hot, so maybe.

Legwork is a touchy thing, though. You can never have too little of it...but someitmes its hard to figure out...when have you done enough of it? There can be things hidden that are near impossible to find. And when you are in-game, it is, IMO, sometimes hard to tell if youve dug deep enough(and sometimes when you think you have, and then decide to go deeper, and get screwed ANYWAY, well, it can happen.)
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (ornot)
The principle disadvantage of the magical approach is traceability by magical forensics, but I guess that's no more a problem than forensics reconstructing the detonator.

True. An explosive bomb at least scatters the pieces it's made of all over the place, making forensics job a lot harder. A gas bomb like this might leave everything pretty and intact for the cops to go over at their leisure.
A magical detonator can still be analyzed by a forensic magician, but the spell signature will fade, probably quicker than the background count the mass murder generates, so that will help conceal itself in a way analgous to the explosive bomb example above.

I'm not saying that a magical detonator is "teh r0x0rz!!1" in every case, but it sounds like a reasonable strategy.
ornot
As far as legwork goes, in this situation it would be as simple as examining the suitcase. It's always worth trying to find out who the Johnson is working for too, and who is he is trying to stitch up.
Cheops
Apart from my opinions on how the team screwed up here's why I think the bomb was a good idea:

1. Some corps are more comfortable with magic than tech. Dido for some of the other players in the shadows.

2. Signal scanners, MAD scanners, chemical scanners, and other cheap sensors can detect a technological trigger. Any of them can do a good job for around 1000 nuyen. The case would have to be smuggled past at least 2 of these if the target has low to moderate security.

3. Magical trigger only has to get past 1 level of security. The astral mage. No worries about wards or anything like that...although it sounds like the case was warded in which case it goes back up to 2 levels.

4. The bomb was gas not explosives. That means all the forensic evidence is still intact. Fingerprints on the case, possible trigger mechanisms, trace chemicals, etc. Ritual spell only leaves signature which can be erased by an astral spotter with cleanse or that fades. Presumeably you use a really low force spell. So 1 maybe 2 hours for the CSI team to realize it was a magical trigger.

5. First response will focus on damage control and EMT. CSI teams usually don't start their work until the area is made relatively safe for them and the critical patients are removed from the scene.

These are only the first few I can think of. I can probably come up with more. On the other hand I can only think of 2 reasons it wouldn't:

1. Ritual team isn't good enough to get over the dice pool penalty due to warding on the target. Can be counteracted by the use of spirits and foci.

2. Either the team or the opposition accidentally hits the case. Results in a less than optimal trigger (such as the 93 WTC bombing) but still releases the gas inside the target doing some damage. Only really a disadvantage to the team and the body count.
Demerzel
Hummn. If the case was warded, and wards cannot nest, then what happens when you take it into a warded room?

One of the wards has to fail. How does that work? Is it a simple opposed test between the force of the two wards (Or possibly Force * 2, seems to be a mechanic used). If you are alerted to someone attempting to pass through your ward even if they fail, then are you alerted when another ward attempts to impinge on your ward?

Can I ward hollow point bullets and turn them into shattershield rounds? Hummn, I wish I had some rulebooks with me...
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 9 2007, 11:33 PM)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 9 2007, 06:58 PM)
Enter...Death Blossom.

Your character was recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada?

...2 Karma.

I hoped someone would get that.

Yes,with two Fabuki's and Gymnastics, she is the Death Blossom.

[Alex]"....it 'll be a slaughter..."

[Grig] That's the Spirit!

[Alex] No, Our Slaughter
BishopMcQ
Demerzel--Do you remember where the rules mentioned no nesting? I'm referencing now to see if I can find it...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Demerzel--Do you remember where the rules mentioned no nesting? I'm referencing now to see if I can find it...

Street Magic, p.124 under the heading Wards are Exclusive
BishopMcQ
Got it. I was referencing SR4 and couldn't find anything about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012