Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to the Future
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
fistandantilus4.0
Link to IC Back to the Future 1

Link to BttF 2 IC

Ok, starting premise for this is two Shadowrun Characters being played in ED unnder Earthdawn rules. Three cheers for Astral Rifts and DM hand waiving, let's see how it goes.

Now, for starters, physical attributes:
Your Six attributes are as follows-
-Strength
-Toughness (convert body)
-Dexterity ( add together agility and reaction, take the average)
-Perception (Same for Logic and Intuition)
-Willpower
-Charisma

To get your new Attribute, take the SR attribute ,and multiply it by 3 round up (that is, if it's above .5)

Skills are next.
Any skill that you have in SR is a skill in ED, at an equal rating. We'll need to do a bit of bakc and forth though becuase any skills that are boosted byadept powers, become adept talents also.
So what you'll need to do ispost your character stats up to that point, whith you skills and adept powers listed, and then I can edit it for you or go over the needed changes on msn chat. WHen ever you change something on this page, make sure you use the little tag at the bottom of the Edit page, the check mark that says "Add the 'Edit by' line in this post?" so we know when the last change was.
See below for example

Step Table, so that you know what to roll
[ Spoiler ]
SinN
[ Spoiler ]
Callidus
Interesting..... guessing SR4 creation rules or ED rules? Also any one able to post a character or restricted?
Grinder
Me, me, me! (Just PMed you about a game biggrin.gif ):

Are you familiar with the ADM rules of RedBrick? If not check it out.
fistandantilus4.0
Hey to both of you guys. This WAS set up just for the two people I 've currently got (Plan B and SinN), but Idon't really see any reason to restrict it as long as it's ok with them. I've done it once before, and once you get past the initial "where the hell are we" it comes out pretty interesting.

If you're interested in posting, these were both experienced (a few hundred karma) SR characters, currently in SR4, that are being dropped in to ED. SO if you've got one you're interested in trying sure, post it up there. Please, ,adept or mage of course, preferably someone that could mesh with Earthdawn. Post the SR version first, ,and then we'll convert as we go.

Grinder, I know you've got plenty of ED material, and where/what time zone you're in (Germany for those of you others).

Callidus, if you're interested, just post a character you're interested in, inside spoiler tags please to save scrolling, and a background of the character. Once again, I'd prefer a character that is magically active, and has some experience in "old magic". Done the run with the Elemtnal Scrolls of Ak-elazar (or whatever the fuck) that sort of thing. Also, since I don't know you, PM me a general "hi, this is me.." and jsut a bit of background on what you know (and have as way of books) of ED so I know what page we're all on, as well as where you're located.

Myself and Plan B are in California, and SinN is in Utah.
fistandantilus4.0
Ok, listing a few more tables so that we have the basic stuff handy.

Combat Options pg. 200 ED Core 1st edition
[ Spoiler ]

Talent Rank Increase pg 221
[ Spoiler ]

Attribute Increase Table
[ Spoiler ]

Circle advancement
[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0
Sorry for spacing, but the edit option deletes half the post, so you'll jsut have ot make do
fistandantilus4.0
SO we're looking at , for likely players, is SinN, Callidus, and Grinder. CAllidus I'm waiting on a character from, for SR to translate over, and Grinder, I'm waiting on a pitch for a ED character. We might have one other, but I'm in MasterLink, but we'll see if that pans.

fistandantilus4.0
Grinder, if you're going to be in on this one, I don't need a character from you to start, but I will with Callidus, so that's pretty much what we're waiting on at this point.
Callidus
Righto, I'll try to get the concept and background typed up over lunch, will have to make the character itself at home though as my boss has an aversion to RPG books at work *8->
fistandantilus4.0
Sounds good, the stats are usually the easy part. As for the BP, make it a 550 BP character, to reflect an experienced character. Adept or mage, up to you. Do your self a favor though and don't waste any points on nuyen.gif for a life style or contacts. They'll just be wasted. Caps for skills are six, doesn't matter how many or if it's a skill group. Pretty open ended really. Just imagine that it's a charcater that you've already been playing. Attributes are still limited to half your BP (230 since you can't spend 5 point on an att uunless you get a 6, and I'm not going to force that).

Grinder, work out an ED adept for me buddy. And please, limit to ED 1st edition. No Cathayan disciplines because I don't have that book. Anything in the Core book, or either Denizens is kosher, since I have both of those. Barsaive region.
Callidus
Brief 20 questions type background Pm'd to you fistandantilus and I'll get the longer one and sheet over to you asap when I'm home *8->
Callidus
Okay background and char sheet away, hopefully not horribly broken but fun *8->
fistandantilus4.0
ok I've got Calliuds' character Michael here. Go ahead and post the finished version on here and we'll get it converted over to ED when needed.

I have SinN's character already converted, because I have a copy of Gaelic's SR char sheet. So he's good to go.

Plan B's char sheet I have here as well, so we'll probably just have her post the ED version.

Grinder's char should be up by monday/Tuesday.

masterLink is still up in the air for whether or not he is in on this game we'll see on that one.

I need to post the dispel difficulty table, since we ahve two mages here that don't have the Core 1st edition ED book. Any other general tables that we're going to need access to on a regular basis? This is mostly for SinN and callidus, Grinder, let me know if you can think of anything they might need. i'll post some general house rules as they come up, becasue I really can't thikn of any that I apply besides how I handle multidiscipline Durability talents (basically the higher of the two as long as it's paid for properly).

Callidus
Okey dokey, here's Michael in all his combat ineptness *8->

[ Spoiler ]

And a short version of background/concepty thing
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Alrighty, shiny. I've got you and SinN, which are the two I need to start the game. At this point, as i mentioned, it's starting out in SR. I'll send SinN a PM, let him know that we're starting it tomorrow then. Since it's the two of you starting, and there's , what, 9 hours between us, it may be a bit of touch and go posting. Basically I'll post the action in the starting thread , and you two state your actions/statements/whatever. No actions are considered taken until I post a reply. If it takes a bit between posts, apologies, but that's the bitch of the time difference. We'll deal.

I'll send Sinn a PM, let him know we'll ocnsider the game started by this time tomorrow, since it starts with just two of you. Watch for the IC thread that I'll start. I'll post a link here.
fistandantilus4.0
All right, the game is on. SinN and callidus, feel free to comment away. i'll be checking in periodically to reply to posts from each of you. OOC questions/commetns go here of course. Grinder, Plan B , feel free to comment in this thread on any goings on until you're turn is up (well, after then to)

I'm also going to go ahead and steal someone else's idea for posting format from this point on.

Any speech aloud, post in salmon

any IC thoughts, please post in aquamarine

Dice actions, post in gold

I tired using both blue text, which is dark, and red, which has the same problem.
For those of you who don't know how to do color tags, look to your left, under neath the smiley faces, to where it says BB code help. Let me know if anyone has an issue with the colors selected or a different preference for the posting format.
Grinder
Posting format is fine for me.

Nice start of the game. Can't wait to get involved. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Well once you have a character.....

My plan is to run the two groups, Michael and Galeic, and Morgan and [enter your character's name here] on two seperate tracks until they come together. That way you two aren't sitting twiddling your thumbs.
Callidus
Posting methos looks fine by me.... oh and I'm back *8-> I'll catch up on the starting thread and get a starting post up.

[edit]Okay posts up and hopefully you don't mind me stealing Dr. Wilkins for a short bit to get into the office to save some time *8->.[/edit]
fistandantilus4.0
no problem with highjacking Dr Wilkins for a short ride. He likes to stretch when he can.

NTW, remember that after Wednesdya, I'll be taking a short stay ('bout a week) in sunny San Diego to see some family. So if I'm delayed in posting, that's why. Should be able to get to the 'net, but it may take longer.

Grinder, looking forward to that character tomorrow (Monday) wink.gif
Callidus
Basically searching the archives for information on what we'll need to get across the outback so that he'll have an idea of what would be sensible to talk over with the security detail rather than look a complete baby handling case, plus it keeps his mind off distracting things *8->

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Data search teset very good success, check thread for equipment listing. Do you have the book "Target:Awakened Lands"?
Callidus:
Make two test w/ your character:

Magical Theory:Threshold 2, successes will tell you how much you know about mana storms

Paranormal animals test at a -3 for different continent.

SinN: No tests required yet becuase you alraedy have, or have easy access to your gear, and you know what's up w/ Australia pretty well.
Callidus
No to have target: awakened lands but I have read most of it in the past.... remembering mana storms with great trepidation *8->

Anyhoo the dice rolls

Magical Theory: (Magical Theory + Logic ?) [not certain about this as BBB not clear so logic dice are the last ones]

3 5 1 2 6 2 6 1 4 5 2 4 = 4 hits

Paranormal Critters: (Paranormal Creatures of North America + Logic - 3) [again logic dice last]

4 6 4 6 5 4 5 1 3 = 4 hits
fistandantilus4.0
Magical theory for mana storms test:

Mana storms can very in appearance and type. They can do anything from make flowers grow to rain down fire and birmstone from the sky. The importnat part is that it is magic, and there fore shielding and spell defense work against them. Maybe not as well as full cover does though... On the astral, the disturbance is obvious and usually vioelnt , even if it isn't on the physical plane.

Good enough success test to also know that the sensing metamagic is a reliable way of spotting mana storms, and sometimes even noticing them forming, at range.

Paranimal test also enough to know that "running" metaroos, essentially magically sensitive large kangaroos , are good way of spotting a coming sotrm. if you spot a bucn hof them hoping one direction very quickly, and no predator chasing them, following them may be a good idea.

A couple of other awakened critters in the outback include the Bunyip (never before acutally "sighted", but strongly rumored, the infamous drop bear, and the afanc (a VERY large croc) . Those are the types you're likely to encounter, since you'll be sticking to the drier regions.
Callidus
First Impressions

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
SinN, go ahead and reply to Callidus, or vice versa, get your IC intros done. I'll post once you two get yours up.

Got a char sheet from Grinder. Just waiting for Char BG to get track 2 started.
Callidus
[ Spoiler ]
Callidus
SinN for a rough idea of waht Michael's hand felt like, imagine shaking hands with someone wearing thin thimbles on each finger, a thin ring roughly centered on each finger bone, and a largish but only slightly domed coin like thing covering about half the palm of the hand.

If you want a better description just lemme know and I'll try to be clearer *8->
fistandantilus4.0
Trip from Perth posted. Post from here if you're good to go, or IC if you need to do something else along the way before going to the Outback.
Callidus
I'm pretty much good to go, gonna be spending a lot of the trip being paranoid about poisonous things and metaroos running *8-> well maybe paranoid's too strong *8->
Callidus
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
2 success - Neonet has become rather large in Australia, so a number of these smaller corps may well be owned by Neonet. They made a big push here in '65

6 successes
[ Spoiler ]
Callidus
Counterspelling covering Dr. Patrick, Michaels, Floren, Hood and Holder and the two jeeps

Counterspelling + Magic + Foci = 13 dice

Charisma test : 1 1 5 = 1 sucess and glitch
fistandantilus4.0
Callidus, notes from charisma check:

Glitch on charisma test, one success

patrcik seems a bit more at ease because of the defense, but seems to be unconciously responding to Hood's "keepin' it cool attitude" more.
Callidus
Perception test

Inituition + Vision Enhancement in contacts - Distracted - defaulting

4 2 4 4

hmmm well at least it's not a glitch *8->
fistandantilus4.0
gm: TALLY FOR BOTH PLAYERS FOR GOOD ROLEPLAYING. BONUS FAR CALIDUS. GOOD PREP BY BOTH
Callidus
@SinN

Fistandantilus and I had a chat about warding up the camp and so if we put up a ward on each tent and the two jeeps the wards will move with those items but only active when all doors/windows/flaps shut.....

So..... if we aim to ward up the tents tonight and sort the jeeps tomorrow evening/lunchtime/whatever we'll able able to get decent (force 3-4) ones up over night.... only problem is that the pair of us will be napping in the jeeps the next day after 6-8 hours of night time warding each and Dr. Michaels doing his own tent. We thought that would be the point to check with you as to whether your up for that plan or whether you want to stay awake tomorrow, in which case if you and Dr. Michaels do one each, I'll ward up the other three and crash out when you all get up *8->
fistandantilus4.0
Both, roll for warding, and list on how many itmes (tent or Jeep) you are warding, and what it is that you are warding.

Also, Callidus
[ Spoiler ]
Callidus
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]

fistandantilus4.0
Rolls for Mana Storm:

As all the mages in the gorup were exhausted form being up all night and warding, they all fell asleep quite quickly once night came.

True to the nature of Australia, I rolled for the effects of the mana storm. Effects were as follows:

background count : 2
type: storm is invisible
Force:D6+2: rolled 6, force 8
Size = appx 3 miles across
speed : appx 120 kph
duration = 40 minutes

effect roll: elemental
elemental effect:Sand

In effect, you were all warded within the force 4 wards, and were hit by a force 8 mana storm, which dumped about 8 feet of sand on the entire area. You were in tents, which essentially halved the ffect just becuase they're damn good tents. Of course, that would mean you would still be under four feet of sand, but the wards saved you from that. So everyone took appx 1-2' worth of sand in to their tent. Roll body against suffocation essentially. Assuming you make the thresh hold for that, the wards you guys did the night before just saved your lives.

Then there's just the pesky matter of getting out of a tent buried under 4 feet of sand.

Oh, and SinN, assuming that you put your ally on guard duty as you did the night before, there was nothing he could do to stop it. Essentially the sand simply appeared over a 3 mile area instantaneoussly. Sorry for the really nasty mana storm guys, but at least you're planning saved ya'.
Callidus
No worries mate, that's what keeps life interesting I guess *8->

[ Spoiler ]

Assuming Michael hasn't drowned in sand he'll try to summon up a spirit of earth to dig us out. Probably starting with.... erm... prolly Patrick ICwise as he knows he's okay and then Hood.

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Did you factor in the background count of 2 for the summoning?

[ Spoiler ]

SinM
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Threshold for body test is 3 to resist suffocation damage

Dr Patrick
[ Spoiler ]

Dr Michaels
[ Spoiler ]

Dr Floren
[ Spoiler ]

Callidus - Spirit resistance roll against summoning
[ Spoiler ]
Callidus
Okey dokey mate, sorry I managed to miss conjuring on my char sheet and forgot there was a background count *8-<

Will try to order the spirit to dig out all the tents, or if that counts as multiple services, I'll get it to dig out Dr.Patrick then summon another once I feel the spirit depart.
Callidus
Biotech roll for healing ideas for Dr.Patrick for whether Heal or Detox would help

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
She'll need some water to help clear her throat, and some time and los of coughing (which means more water) to clear her lungs. Magical healing will help a little to repair the damage the sand will do to her lungs. But rather than one big healing spell, it'll be beter to apply several smaller ones over time.
Callidus
kk I'll do that then.... I'll post some heal roll below (assuming 1 box of damage each time although will cast force 3 as standard just in case) for drain as it's damage-2 for drain dv lemme know if there's more needed also couldn't find out what effect background count has so haven't taken that into account yet.

[ Spoiler ]
Callidus
Unless interrupted to Detox, Cure Disease or Heal people start to put Force 1 wards on the two jeeps, and ofc assuming I get the time *8->

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012