Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Agent Smith Problem
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Serbitar
At the moment a hacker can have a large number of agents by just uploading infinite numbers to nodes and giving them orders.

Same goes for corporations, they could just have infinite numbers of agents.

Why I dont think it is a problem from the hacker side:

Stealth: At least for me, hacking is about stealth. An attack with infinite numbers of agents will instantly be noticed. And the hacking run is essentially over. Thats why I dont think the agent smith attack will be used, especially in very certain situation, here it might even make sense.

My problem is the corp version. At the moment I am handwaving it away by invoking "traffic" and "miss alarm" arguments.

In my own hacking rules I suggest dice modifiers if a persona/agent is subject to several interactions in the same phase. Be it perception or attacks, making large numbers of agents virtually useless.
I handwave this with the following arguments: Attacking and perceptions are active interactions with the persona to get data the persona doesnt really want to send (perception) or to force malevolent code into the persona. Both is easier recognized by the personas "health" and "checking" routines if large quantities of malevolent code is injected.

Please post your assessment of the whole Agent Smith problem. What is the problem for you, is it one, and how could one solve it.
BishopMcQ
As was discussed here, the Agent Smith problem has limitations.

Yes, it is possible to load Agents in several nodes, however:

1. Said nodes need to be within Signal range of where you intend to be hacking.
2. There is a limit on active users currently accessing a specific node, based on (System x 2)
3. The autonomy of Agents means that each must be individually called, taking actions.
4. If the Agents are not loaded directly onto the node, then they must hack their way through the firewall. (Note: Probing the target allows for a backdoor to be created which will be open for several hours or more at GM's discretion. This is not a problem unless the GM allows it.)
5. If you are loading Agents actively into a node, there is:
a) the cost in actions it takes you,
b) the limitation on the number of agents before response problems.
6. There are limitations on the teamwork tests even if the hacker has bypassed all previously stated hurdles.
Serbitar
QUOTE (BishopMcQ)
As was discussed here, the Agent Smith problem has limitations.

Yes, it is possible to load Agents in several nodes, however:

1. Said nodes need to be within Signal range of where you intend to be hacking.
2. There is a limit on active users currently accessing a specific node, based on (System x 2)
3. The autonomy of Agents means that each must be individually called, taking actions.
4. If the Agents are not loaded directly onto the node, then they must hack their way through the firewall. (Note: Probing the target allows for a backdoor to be created which will be open for several hours or more at GM's discretion. This is not a problem unless the GM allows it.)
5. If you are loading Agents actively into a node, there is:
a) the cost in actions it takes you,
b) the limitation on the number of agents before response problems.
6. There are limitations on the teamwork tests even if the hacker has bypassed all previously stated hurdles.

1. no, you can use the matrix as relay
2. thats actually working towards agent smith, as you are killing the node buy flooding it. and its a really stupid rule (what about matrix cafes? only 12 users there at max?)
3. no you can order a pack of agents
4. if enough agents are hacking in, enough will make it
5. true
6. true, but again, I am of the opinion that agents in multiple hords are only good for combat
BishopMcQ
1: If you can use the matrix as a relay, then please explain why two devices must be within the signal range of the weakest signal. One-way communication would be possible within the longer range, but for any kind of response or interactive nature, they would need to be within range of the shorter.

2: No you aren't killing the node, simply not allowing new people to access it until all users which were online at the moment of attack have been booted. Note, I don't agree with the rule, but rather acknowledging that it exists.

3: You can only order agents that are on your subscription list. If you remove an agent from your subscription list, it will continue on with its previous set instructions.

4: Again you run into the problem of subscription lists, teamwork rules, and signal.
Serbitar
1: exactly the same way how two cell phones cann talk to each other without being in their relative signal ranges.

2: Even better, you keep the corps IC out once youve flooded it with your own agents . . .

3-4: you didnt read my comment about mass ordering agents, did you? You can order (simple action) up to 12x2 agents per pass. Thats 12x3x2 agents per round, that should be enough.
BishopMcQ
"no you can order a pack of agents"

There wasn't a lot to read...where was your other comment?
Serbitar
That was the comment. You can order multiple agents at a time, if you give them the same order.
FrankTrollman
Remember that for this problem to be intractable it doesn't literally have to put up billions of agents (although in abstract there's no reason why it couldn't) - it merely has to put up so many Agents that differences in skill and awesomeness between diffeent Hackers fades into the statistical background noise.

12 Agents is enough and more than enough to make the problem plain. Being a Hacker so awesome that you roll six more dice is half as big a deal as having one more die per agent...

-Frank
BishopMcQ
I was simply reminding you limitation of the subscription list, which presuming you are connected to at least one node, means you are limited to 11 agents. Then you have to update your subscription list, at least a free per agent, possibly a simple to update the whole list.

The tactic is feasible, but the rate is slower.
Serbitar
You forget the agents you run on your comlink . . .
djinni
QUOTE (Serbitar)

don't forget they can just "pull the plug"
sever a repeater on the matrix between you and them, or even their own.
Glayvin34
The best Matrix security is definitely physical separation from the Matrix.
Spike
I would suggest this is obvious: If twelve agents are all on the same node, you now have twelve people using teh same hacked account, unless each agent hacked in seperately.

Twelve (thirteen) people all hacking in nearly simultaniously, but seperately, is NOISY. The IC WILL see it, and if the IC doesn't, the Sysop will certainly know what is going on. The more things you have sucking up processor speed the more likely it is for someone to see it and do something drastic. So they launch heavy duty IC... adn your horde kills it, or the system turns to goo because they sent in every available peice of IC... and you are out, because shutting down teh node until they can patch the exploit you used is infallible.

As for ordering 12 agents at teh same time to do somethign (trace, etc...), there would be a point of diminishing returns, as they all attempt the exact same actions in teh exact same sequence (being computer programs), I would, as a GM, probably make one roll for the entire goon squad of Smiths, representing their collective efforts.

At a minimum, however, I'd have analyse attempts rolled against each agent and hacker seperately, so each extra 'helper' you have would increase your chances of being caught.

One of these days I'll actually collate my argument against the credstick 'myth' so that I can stop just handwaving it away as silly.
ShadowDragon8685
A Goon Squad of Agent Smiths would be an effective way to deal with enemy hackers/Big Bad IC, though.

You know, like the Burly Brawl, but the other guy dosen't get to be Neo. smile.gif
Thain
The perfect solution for the Agent Smith Problem is for the gamemaster to exercisesome common sense, and say "No." if itdoes indeed become a problem.
Glayvin34
And Serbitar mentioned that it's also exclusively for cybercombat, after the jig is up.
You can also use your Agent Smiths to use Medic on your icon (since you've got Wired Reflexes 3 active and you're fighting in AR, right? right? haha sarcastic.gif ). And you can have your Agents ready loaded on your credstick ready to jump out and stomp a pickpocket or whoever you tell them to, or they tell each other. Sure, that requires an action on the Agent's part, but daisy-chain them and you've got 300 Spartans.
Garrowolf
well this was why I was trying to point out in the other thread that the system can perceive you and doesn't need the agents in the first place. The system will use IC when someone has touched a sensitive area but not to deal with normal hacking attempts.

One thing I was thinking about was what if you treated agents as processes on your commlink or system. Basically get rid of their ability to copy themselves onto another system. they don't need to move to datasearch. They can browse just like you can. It would work for most functions but it would get rid of the part that is a problem - hacking.

Make them just an interface tool and the whole issue goes away.

FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Spike)
Twelve (thirteen) people all hacking in nearly simultaniously, but seperately, is NOISY.

As for ordering 12 agents at teh same time to do somethign (trace, etc...), there would be a point of diminishing returns, as they all attempt the exact same actions in teh exact same sequence (being computer programs), I would, as a GM, probably make one roll for the entire goon squad of Smiths, representing their collective efforts.

That's not a bad starting place. Indeed, when the final nerfage of Agent Smith comes down, I would hope that it starts from this point as well.

But the thing is, that's not enshrined in the rules anywhere. That's just your "gut feeling" about how the rules should work.

And I am with you. Throwing agents at problems should not give you a perceptable advantage. Computing is ubiquitous and available continuously all aorund you. Everything is wirelessly connected, everything you do should already be assumed to maximally utilize the available computational space.

Unfortunately, the way things are currently written, it appears that if you put two computers on a task such as Trace, you get two separate attempts. And since in Shadowrun there are so many computers around that we don't even specify how many are on your person at any given time... that sort of addition is impractical and game breaking.

Which is of course the core of the Agent Smith problem. You can't have arbitrarily large amounts of available computers and still try to keep a 1:1 correspondance with die rolls and the number of computers assigned to handle specific problems.

-Frank
ludomastro
My solution for the Agent Smith problem:

QUOTE (Grandma)

If it is good for the goose, it is good for the gander.

Player 1: What do you mean my flat's security was compromised while I was out?
Player 2: What do you mean that my bank account is empty?
Player 3: Why does the Star have a shoot-to-kill warrant out on me?
Player 4: Why doesn't my cyberware work?

GM: Remember that punk 16-year-old your characters pissed off? He was FastJack's son and he had an army of Agent Smiths.
Thanee
Allow only one copy of each Agent to work at a time... at least at the same node. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
mfb
QUOTE (Alex)
My solution for the Agent Smith problem:
QUOTE (Grandma)
If it is good for the goose, it is good for the gander.

a teeter-totter with a 400-pound gorilla on either end is not balanced, it's broken.
Synner
QUOTE (Serbitar)
That was the comment. You can order multiple agents at a time, if you give them the same order.

The correct version of this under the rules is "you can order multiple agents at a time, if you give them the same order and they are subscribed to your commlink." (ie. Agents may not be subscribed as a group, hence your subscription list limits the number of agents you can use at any given time. If you want to give an order, unsubscribe some agents, add others, and then repeat the order, that's still viable option though).

Also, another limitation, is the fact that when hacking something with the "agent backup squad" they must either use your account to enter a node or hack their own way in. Either way they run the risk of setting off all sorts of system alert flags - and drawing attention to you even if you did everything right. Chokepoint system access now really works like a chokepoint.

And now back to editing, otherwise these books will never be out...
mfb
yeah, but you can bypass the subscription limit by simply subscribing commlinks to your commlink. the subscribed commlinks have agents subscribed to them (or more commlinks subscribed to more agents, or however deep you want to go). i believe that, using the rules for holding your action, if you pass an order to your army of network-subscribed agents, they will all execute it that same turn. even if not, that just means that it takes time for your army to mobilize. lots of time--maybe as much as an entire minute.
Trigger
I have find it extremely hilarious that this thread is running at the same time as the one 'How to Speed up Hacking', with many of the same people posting in each grinbig.gif
Synner
Subscribing a commlink to your commlink does not automatically equate to subscribing software running on that commlink to yours. ie. you can't run Analyze stored on a subscribed commlink as if you had it uploaded, why should you be able to command an agent? You are assuming you can route batch commands to the agents somehow, but if that were the intention you could subscribe agents as groups on your commlink in the first place.
Garrowolf
Yes Irony abounds!

Personally I think that making agents only able to run from a system makes the agent back into what I think that they were designed for - an interface. Basically you ask your agent to do something instead of doing it yourself. Treat it more like a Pilot program that drives your connection around the matix for you. It makes sense in the future where literacy is down and people are wanting the easiest way to do anything. We are moving away from requiring much in the way of computer skill NOW.

If your agent is just a way to talk to your commlink then all these problems go away. You have no problem with lots of agents. You have no problem with people giving hacking programs to their agent and it doing all the work for them. It returns things to the mode of a skilled person subverting the system. Agents go from an imbalencing loophole to a cute toy.
cetiah
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Agents go from an imbalencing loophole to a cute toy.

This is kind of what I've tried to do with them, actually. The only 'agents' in my Custom Hacking Rules are viruses (which I haven't written up yet), and the lowest wrung of viruses are "rats", which are minor agents used to perform various tasks for users in the Matrix. Rats are so abundant in the Matrix, that it's really hard for legitimate users to use public nodes anymore and so rats become the standard. Meanwhile, the Matrix and its associated nodes work hard to innoculate themselves against these rats once they've realized its a rat and not an actual person, so each rat has to be custom programmed and can only be released "into the wild" once and lasts about a day before the Matrix has adapted itself. Due to their inefficiency and their restriction to unprotected nodes, the rats take about a day to fulfill most tasks.

Basically, they're little "toys" for players. They're one-use agents that perform a function on their own as a sort of time-saving device. They take longer to work, but the character doesn't have to do it directly and can do other stuff.

Rats are easy to order online from a multitude of vendors. You can use the Software skill to make your own.
Garrowolf
cetiah, are you going to put all this up on a web page at some point? It will make it easier to follow I think. Frankly I tend to skim a bit when I'm looking at too many posts. I would like a format that would be easier to read. Plus you can just point people to it and they don't have to go through back posts trying to findit all.

Just a suggestion
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)
You are assuming you can route batch commands to the agents somehow, but if that were the intention you could subscribe agents as groups on your commlink in the first place.

The problem is that drones can be batch commanded.
Which tells us that it is technically possible, and, once you know that, the rest is onply an implementation issue.
Synner
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 3 2007, 10:11 AM)
QUOTE (Synner)
You are assuming you can route batch commands to the agents somehow, but if that were the intention you could subscribe agents as groups on your commlink in the first place.

Which tells us that it is technically possible, and, once you know that, the rest is onply an implementation issue.

As Serbitar has already noted, you can issue batch commands to multiple agents too. In both cases such commands apply to agents/drones subscribed individually. Drones were intended to function just like Agents (though Pilots do indeed combine Agents with a specialized OS per the FAQ) in terms of issuing commands. As such the same limitations apply to both.

However, if I've missed some rule about issuing commands to non-subscribed agents or drones, subscribing groups of agents, or not having to individually subscribe agents/drones/whatever to command them on another system you have subscribed please feel free to point it out.

In all cases the subscription list limit (of the commlink you are using) on the number of systems/drones/agents/whatever is the cap on how many individual systems/drones/agents you can command (individually or collectively) at one time. Currently it's the cap on how many different links to autonomous systems your commlink can sustain.
Ophis
QUOTE (Serbitar)

2. thats actually working towards agent smith, as you are killing the node buy flooding it. and its a really stupid rule (what about matrix cafes? only 12 users there at max?)

Just a minor nitpick here. Why in a world where everyone is on line 24/7 would you have internet cafes? Why do I need to go somewhere to log on when I'm always logged on, all cafes are in effect Internet Cafes.

It has just occured to me that there must be some way of allowing more than 2*rating users to subscribe to a node. Otherwise how would Internet gaming like Dawn of Atlantis and other mmorpgs work?
Trigger
Extremely expanded bandwith and response, along with an ultra system rating and multiple multiple linked nodes (like a room full of servers) that function in conjunction with each other allowing a multitude of players to play at once?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner @ Feb 3 2007, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 3 2007, 10:11 AM)
QUOTE (Synner)

As Serbitar has already noted, you can issue batch commands to multiple agents too. In both cases such commands apply to agents/drones subscribed individually. Drones were intended to function just like Agents (though Pilots do indeed combine Agents with a specialized OS per the FAQ) in terms of issuing commands. As such the same limitations apply to both.

No. What I'm talking about is this:
QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p. 238, Controlling Drones)
A rigger can choose to have multiple drones subscribed as a single device. Th is allows the rigger to have more devices actively subscribed, but is limiting since all the drones must receive the same orders. Alternately, a rigger can choose to issue orders to a drone and then unsubscribe it and trust its dogbrain to carry out the orders.

Technically you can have 100 Agents search the Matrix for Infos and only take up one subscription slot.
Serbitar
QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Feb 2 2007, 09:46 PM)

don't forget they can just "pull the plug"
sever a repeater on the matrix between you and them, or even their own.

Thats why I think the agent smith problem is nto a problem when used by hackers.
Stealth is everything.
Serbitar
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

Unfortunately, the way things are currently written, it appears that if you put two computers on a task such as Trace, you get two separate attempts. And since in Shadowrun there are so many computers around that we don't even specify how many are on your person at any given time... that sort of addition is impractical and game breaking.

Which is of course the core of the Agent Smith problem. You can't have arbitrarily large amounts of available computers and still try to keep a 1:1 correspondance with die rolls and the number of computers assigned to handle specific problems.

-Frank

Ill think I will incoprorate my -2 dice rule for everything. being attacked, being traced, being percepted, being whatever atht he same time.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Synner @ Feb 3 2007, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Feb 3 2007, 02:35 AM)

The correct version of this under the rules is "you can order multiple agents at a time, if you give them the same order and they are subscribed to your commlink." (ie. Agents may not be subscribed as a group, hence your subscription list limits the number of agents you can use at any given time. If you want to give an order, unsubscribe some agents, add others, and then repeat the order, that's still viable option though).

Also, another limitation, is the fact that when hacking something with the "agent backup squad" they must either use your account to enter a node or hack their own way in. Either way they run the risk of setting off all sorts of system alert flags - and drawing attention to you even if you did everything right. Chokepoint system access now really works like a chokepoint.

And now back to editing, otherwise these books will never be out...

Yes, I totally Agree. thats Why I used a max of 12 agents in my calculation.
(well, that was before reading Rotbarts objection).

I also said that I dont consider it a real problem, because of the stealth issue. Im with you all the way. (Apart from my opinion that the subscription rule is totally nuts, see the matrix cafe example)

My only point left is agent smith on corps side. They dont have to care about stealth at all. Its their node.
kzt
QUOTE (Serbitar)

Thats why I think the agent smith problem is nto a problem when used by hackers.
Stealth is everything.

So assume Aries has 12 major data centers and 6 heavy duty security hackers on duty at 3 am on New Years day. And suddenly 8 centers get hit by a huge deluge of well programed automated attacks, that don't look completely automated because the guy who programmed them was clever.

What do the security guys do? How much attention do they likely have for seemingly minor crap going on in the other 4 centers for the next few minutes? Would you like the ability to make the security guys go watch the shinny stuff while you go about your illegal business?
Serbitar
I personally dont have a problem with this clever use of agents. I dont think it is unbalancing things to much.
cetiah
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
cetiah, are you going to put all this up on a web page at some point? It will make it easier to follow I think. Frankly I tend to skim a bit when I'm looking at too many posts. I would like a format that would be easier to read. Plus you can just point people to it and they don't have to go through back posts trying to findit all.

Just a suggestion

It's up, already. I made a post in this thread specifically covering nothing but rats. I don't know how to reference a particular post in a thread, but it's the 16th post in the thread.

Cetiah's Custom Hacking Rules

Eventually I'll have a PDF. Hopefully by the end of the month, but we'll see. Real life has really been distracting me from my Shadowrun life this week.
Synner
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (SR4v3 @ p. 238, Controlling Drones)
A rigger can choose to have multiple drones subscribed as a single device. Th is allows the rigger to have more devices actively subscribed, but is limiting since all the drones must receive the same orders. Alternately, a rigger can choose to issue orders to a drone and then unsubscribe it and trust its dogbrain to carry out the orders.

Technically you can have 100 Agents search the Matrix for Infos and only take up one subscription slot.

Thank you. I stand corrected. I had overlooked that exception for drones. The intent to parallel agents and drones does seem compromised, but I'll recheck with the author. His intent was for the subscription list to function as a limiter. Nonetheless, until something official specifically states otherwise I suggest you chalk the exception up to some uniqueness of the mixed agent/OS Pilot.
Rotbart van Dainig
The problem is that this limiter applies to everything, yet multiplexing is only described as possibility for drones.

The very basic is that there is no seperation between subscription (your persona is there) and connection (only mundane data)... i.e. limiting important stuff and not limiting network traffic.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Serbitar)
I personally dont have a problem with this clever use of agents. I dont think it is unbalancing things to much.

Is it unbalancing to send hundreds or thousands of zombie PCs after a corp you are targetting? Perhaps not. But it is completely impractical to resolve game mechanically.

This is a real weapon in the computer hacker's arsenal. But it's not practical to roll dice for every hijacked credstick, coffee pot, and desktop that is sending cascading spam bombs as part of a DoS attack on a tertiary node. In Shadowrun, Hackers should be pulling this sort of thing all the time, and yet there's no possibility of me actually resolving that even once. It involves the rolling of hundreds of dice, and the end result is always going to be the same:
  • Node Compromised.
  • Node Alert off - the - scale.
  • Node shut down.

As written, the DoS attack always works, and actually generating it (to determine, for example, whether it takes one combat round or two) takes the entire evening and is about as much fun as generating Anti-Aliasing by hand.

----

So, what needs to be done?

First, the idea that you should keep track of individual streams of code running on individual processors around you is horse shit. We can't be expected to do that, because of the afore-mentioned "rolling dice hundres of times" problem. We can simulate that with a more abstract ruleset based on processes and influence.

Influence
In 2071, a Hacker compromises computers and makes them run as parallel processors to assist in compromising larger and more secure computers and so on. At any given time, you are going to be throwing down with perhaps hundreds or even thousands of separate service calls to computers all around you - assuming that they are available.

Your Influence is a flat bonus you get on Hacking based on how many computers you have compromised and how many your system can coordinate. Your Influence can never be higher than the System rating of your Commlink, because your processes have to be managed by a central unit or the parallel processors stop working on problems from different angles and just become a mess.

Your influence is otherwise capped by how many computers you can communicate with that are influenced by you. In practice, we assume that a Hacker is usually in communication with enough zombie computers to fill out their Influence pool. But if a Hacker is in prison, or in a dead zone, or in a remote facility where general matrix communication is reserved or blocked, then a Hacker will have to deal with just the devices on his person. Very roughly, Influence increases by 1 for every ten times as many compromised devices there are (after all, you're only using the spare CPU cycles on fairly modest machines like jacket music players).

So yes, when in his element, an elite Hacker with a system of 6 on his commlink really will have backdoors in one million devices. That's not even unreasonable, because a lot of those devices are just lights and toilets and such.

Processes: Monitored and Unmonitored
Hackers multitask like mad. Literally every single thing they are doing online could be automated, but they are totally hardcore and do it better hands on. And they get their hands on all of it, all the time.

A commlink can orchestrate a number of separate processes equal to the System rating before it experiences slowdown. But a Hacker can only monitor one process with a Simple Action (thus, two processes can be monitored per IP). During Cybercombat, for example, the monitored processes might be expected to be Attack and Defense. At other times, it might be something else. In any case, a monitored process uses the Hacker's own Attribute + Skill, and all the other processes being run just use the Hacker's Agent rating as their dice pool.

---

It's a start. A start on a system that does not expect me to roll four hundred fucking dice just because I'm smart enough to have figured out cutting edge 1992 hacking skillz like zombie PCs and Denial of Service attacks.

-Frank
mfb
QUOTE (Synner)
Thank you. I stand corrected. I had overlooked that exception for drones. The intent to parallel agents and drones does seem compromised, but I'll recheck with the author. His intent was for the subscription list to function as a limiter. Nonetheless, until something official specifically states otherwise I suggest you chalk the exception up to some uniqueness of the mixed agent/OS Pilot.

the biggest problem is, it makes sense to allow it. using giant armies of hacker agents is one method actual hackers use to do their thang.

i like FrankTrollman's idea. two problems i have with it: first, it creates a difference between rigging and directing agents. no real getting around that, i guess. second, it counts only the number of devices infiltrated, with no regard to their power. what about corporate hackers, who can draw a lot of Influence from high-end security servers?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (mfb)
i like FrankTrollman's idea. two problems i have with it: first, it creates a difference between rigging and directing agents. no real getting around that, i guess. second, it counts only the number of devices infiltrated, with no regard to their power. what about corporate hackers, who can draw a lot of Influence from high-end security servers?

I'm going to talk about the second problem first, because I think it is easier to handwave. The world of computers is full of all kinds of things. Indeed, while many Hackers are going to be using thousands upon thousands of zombie wristwatches and portable freshness indicators, the security technician on the other side is running sevice calls to a massive server cluster in space. He really seriously does not have to worry about being in Matrix link with a car full of churro warmers - that shit is totally beneath him.

From a game mechanical standpoint, his influence bonus is the same. His commlink can and will orchestrate the same number of service calls before it slows down whether it's making those calls to one server cluster or to a physical cluster of ten thousand dancing lawn gnomes in a warehouse.

There is a degree to which it makes sense, and a degree to which it doesn't. But it's fairly game balanced, so I'm willing to handwave futuristic technology that much. Exchange rates for more powerful devices could be anything you wanted, but I have no problem with an account at ZO being literally a million times better than a backdoor into the MP3 player on the doorbell.

--

The first statement is harder to get around. It's an unfortunate reality that drones exist in reality and programs work only in virtual reality. The difference is that while it makes sense to keep track of drones in terms of real space, programs exist only in virtual space.

And that virtual space unfortunately does not have a 1:1 correspondance with real space, even though it would be really cool if it did and the existance of AR means that it almost does.

The primary difference is shared location. A drone can be expressed locatively with a set of cartesian coordinates. It has a single location, expressable with an X, a Y, and a Z. A computer program has only a Topological location. There are things that a program can interact with directly, there are things a program can interact with after first interfacing with another system, and so on. JUst because a program is running on the same hardware as another program does not mean that it is necessarily topologically close to that program, and so on and so forth.

While a drone can be thought of as playing chess, being in a specific space and moving in predictable patterns, the program is playing Chutes and Ladders - its relative closeness to other things is contingent on future events and often not at all obvious.

Certain concessions have to be made in the rules to that difference, or that difference will destroy the rules. It's unfortunate, but I think unavoidable.

-Frank
mfb
yeah. i like the rules more than i dislike their flaws. they're easier to handwave than, say, radio brains...

one possibility, just to add some tactical choice to the mechanic, is making it easier to target someone, the larger their Influence pool. deckers using Influence have a lot of connections, so it's easier to slip an attack program through their defenses. it might also make them easier to trace. you should be able to drop Influence any time you want, but raising it should take a while--an hour per point, say.

alternatively/in addition, Influence could decrease your ability to sneak around. a million connections will make a lot of noise; maybe subtract Influence from Matrix stealth rolls (i forget the exact mechanic for staying out of sight in the Matrix)?
Synner
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Synner)

the biggest problem is, it makes sense to allow it. using giant armies of hacker agents is one method actual hackers use to do their thang.

It is today. Different tactics will definitely prevail in a world where hacking will get you a bullet in the brainpan rather than a slap on the wrist.
mfb
eh. hack jobs that would get you a bullet in the brainpan in T6W will get you a decade or more in prison today. have you seen the sentences spammers are getting?

besides which, even if that were true, the likelihood of dying doesn't stop you from pulling out your million-agent army, any more than characters are prevented from doing anything else that might get them killed. there's no rule in SR that says you can't walk into a Lone Star office and start shooting the place up. you'll die if you do, sure, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. if you want hackers who use the million-agent trick to get caught and killed, there needs to be rules for it.
Rotbart van Dainig
For anyone interested in the result of Zombie Wars - search for Bluefrog.
kzt
QUOTE (mfb)

alternatively/in addition, Influence could decrease your ability to sneak around. a million connections will make a lot of noise; maybe subtract Influence from Matrix stealth rolls (i forget the exact mechanic for staying out of sight in the Matrix)?

While visits from the police are not as bad as visits from an Aztechnology hit team, the principles in avoiding the visit from the Azies are the same. You absolutely minimize the ties between the actual agents and your system, with multiple layers of cutouts.

Essentially every part of your agent network runs on someone else's compromised hardware and you control it via a series of hops through other people's networks. Your personal system just has a link to the master control unit, which ideally would be something that would have a huge amount of normal traffic from across the world running through it. So you don't have a million connections, you have one, to say a system run by media company that provides you and 3 million other people the current headlines.

This computer doesn't actually control the network, it controls command and control node(s) that do that, with subordinate C&C nodes as required when you network gets big, which it will (It takes a LOT of compromised computers to make money at 6 cents/day/PC, which I've been told is the going rate).

This soft of setup works fine as long as you are using you network as some sort of blunt instrument and have written/stolen/purchased some decent agents and know how to properly task them. Essentially you have an army of kiddie scripters, or spambots, or a huge DOS network or whatever you want to make it do today.
mfb
yeah, i realize the logic is kinda reversed from reality. however, decking in general basically reversed from reality. rather than distributing your activities as much as possible, like a hacker would in real life, an SR hacker's activities are combined into a single icon. you could try and handwave that as simple metaphor, but i think too much of the game mechanics rest on the icon being an actual online entity, rather than a metaphorical aggregate of a hacker's activities.

so, rather than tracing a million different connections, IC/security deckers only have to trace one connection--that of the icon. with Influence, the paths available for them to follow (and there's no reason they can't follow a bunch at once) increase exponentially.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012