Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noticing Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
eidolon
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
Ah, but that is part of the issue.

You notice something, but do you notice "who" just cast the spell, or just that a spell was cast?

I think I will go with noticing the spell, but not necessarilty knowing who cast it.

Depends on the situation.
azrael_ven
Here is my take as a GM. A physical spell would be quite obvious at higher force because it manifest on the physical plane. Mana spells would be obvious on the target at higher levels, especially the damage variety, because of the effect. Force 10 stunbolt, mage uses edge, gets +8 net hits doing 18 damage will cause blood to pure from victims orifices. This amount of magic power would definite rip through the astral and physical saying magic is in use. People's heads don't usually implode on their own for no reason. I like the DBZ focus that someone came up with. I think in the case mention above the mage definitely would have made a brick in his pants, giving an odor aspect to the visual concentration required. Mental activity at high levels usually have some sort of physical connection. Zoning completely out with a blank stare, to sweating profusely, a slight rocking back and forth, to maybe even a twitching of the eye rapidly. Each person would exhibit something that fits their character.

I think that what is at question here are people's different RPG experience. Some systems spell out everything, while other leave more to GM interpretation. Everything really comes down to having fun to me. Any time rules start to get in the way of role-playing and storytelling, I think it is time to bend them some. Well, there is my 2¥ worth.

-- You wanted an argument? Oh, I'm sorry, but this is abuse, you want room 12A, Just along the corridor
Konsaki
Nice Monty Python reference there.
eidolon
But you're not arguing, you're just contradicting me.
Konsaki
But that is the start of an argument... Either that or we have to have a misunderstanding to start one off.
Rotbart van Dainig
Uh... per RAW p. 168, you don't notice magic.
You notice someone using magical skills.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Uh... per RAW p. 168, you don't notice magic.
You notice someone using magical skills.

"Noticing if someone is using a magical skill requires a
Perception Test (p. 117) with a threshold equal to 6 minus the
magic’s Force—more powerful magic is easier to spot. Th e gamemaster
should apply additional modifi ers as appropriate, or if
the perceiver is Awakened themselves (+2 dice), astrally perceiving
(+2 dice), or if a shamanic mask is evident (+2 dice)."
Rotbart van Dainig
Indeed. question.gif
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Indeed. question.gif

Now we are going to get questions asking what using a magical skill looks like though.

It does get by the whole, what does magic look like, and some of the spell/magical effects issues, but it ends up being the same thing in the end. What does using something none of us have any idea looks like, look like?

While I enjoy the challenge and latitude to make visceral and fun descriptive imaginative flavor to my games, apparently some others want more.
Konsaki
QUOTE (BBB Pg 54)
That being said, we urge you to appreciate the rules in Shadowrun for what they are and not stress out when they don’t simulate real life perfectly or fail to take into account certain conditions or factors. If something in these rules doesn’t quite fit or make sense to you, feel free to change it. If you come up with a game mechanic that you think works better—go for it!

QUOTE (BBB Pg 54)
When the rules get in the way of the story, ignore the rules and tell the story.
fistandantilus4.0
I love that last one
Kenshi
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
What does using something none of us have any idea looks like, look like?

Imagination. It's a wonderful thing. (Sorry if I sound sarcastic, but that's kind of the point of the whole game.)
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Mar 6 2007, 03:42 PM)
I love that last one

Its sort of like writing a Western in which the protagonist's horse draws a gun and shoots down the seemingly victorious bad guy just in the nick of time.

Sure, the rules say that horses don't have hands, but there is no reason to let that get in the way of the story.

Of course, the rules you set up are a necessary part of the story. To ignore them is to lie to the audience. You don't suddenly decide that horses have the ability to fire guns in the middle of an otherwise genre-standard Western.

In the case of an RPG, ignoring the rules to help the story isn't just lying, it's cheating.

If the BBB says intense concentration, then that is what I'm going to go with, The character can't be sure that the intense concentration is from magic use and can't tell what magic is being used, and I like that.
Konsaki
It wasnt a horse at all, it was the protagonist's sidekicks in a horse costume.
eidolon
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Its sort of like writing a Western in which the protagonist's horse draws a gun and shoots down the seemingly victorious bad guy just in the nick of time.

And that just begs the old "common sense: how much do you have, and how much should you use" argument.

Saying that the lack of a specific rule gives carte blanche for pointless ludicrousness has never been a very strong argument in my opinion.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Mar 6 2007, 04:28 PM)

And that just begs the old "common sense: how much do you have, and how much should you use" argument.

Saying that the lack of a specific rule gives carte blanche for pointless ludicrousness has never been a very strong argument in my opinion.

I wasn't referring to the lack of a specific rule. I was referring to a rule that says you can ignore any and all rules for the sake of the "story".

Common sense doesn't factor into it. If the pre-established rule is changed or ignored mid-story, that's just bad storytelling. Good storytelling builds on what has already been established and establishes everything important long before it is actually important.

However, in this specific case the lack of a specific rule does give cart blanch.
RPG that is set in the real world, very few rules need to be explained because we are all familiar with the real world. However, Shadowrun contains powerful aspects of fantasy and in a fantasy world anything is possible. Specific rules are necessary when dealing with fantasy aspects of a story.

This guy said it better than I did

In fantasy, you don't know what the rules are until the author tells you. Corpses might well get up and walk when enough moons are in the sky. Guns might only fire if the right spell is said. And a dropped rock might go anywhere. You can't be sure that the sun will rise, that the Earth is round, anything, until the author tells you.

However, while this might seem like a magnificent freedom for the author, it isn't really. If anything, it's a nuisance, a disadvantage--because it means you have to explain the rules to the reader as you go along, without any boring lectures, and you have to do it fairly.

You don't need to do that in other genres, not the same way.

Because Shadowrun is based in an alternate version of the real world, it fills in many of its own blanks. Most people understand enough about computers to understand the matrix, vehicle rules are complex but the vehicles aren't any different from modern vehicles, guns are still guns, and even cyberware has some basis in reality.
Magic, on the other hand, is completely different. In te absence of a specific rule, there is nothing stopping anyone from making stuff up. There is no need for realism because magic isn't real.

However, in this case the rules are quite specific. The only issue is that some people don't like the rule.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
In the case of an RPG, ignoring the rules to help the story isn't just lying, it's cheating.

Technically, since ignoring the rules is a rule, it can't be cheating. but that's just annoying semantics. No, the reason I like that statement isn't because you can bypass what ever you want on Gm fiat. I like it because it gives you the freedom to make things out of the norm. You can create things that normally wouldn't work. Some of the most spectacular events are from things that break the rules.

Examples: AI, leonardo, Quicksilver's deck, Dragons (higher Sorcery rating in SR4 as an example), the original otaku.

Now if you don't like those things, then ignore everything I'm saying, it doesn't apply to you, and that's just fine. But for me, as both a player anda GM, I like those things that defy the convention a bit. Spices things up for me. Especially as a player, it gives me a kick to be able to still win when things come out that you don't expect, while still playing by the rule . Kind of an "against the odds" thing. I also am a fan of the occasional exception for players while I'm GMing. Things like the dead man's trigger before there were rules for it, a PC going berserk in an appropriate time, or giving someone a couple of extra dice for a really well described, daredevil type attempt at something. But once again, that may just be me. I like games that break the mold occassionaly.
toturi
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Technically, since ignoring the rules is a rule, it can't be cheating. but that's just annoying semantics. No, the reason I like that statement isn't because you can bypass what ever you want on Gm fiat. I like it because it gives you the freedom to make things out of the norm. You can create things that normally wouldn't work. Some of the most spectacular events are from things that break the rules.

Therefore you should ignore the rule ignoring the rules, if you want to use it at all. If you do not, then it is cheating. biggrin.gif
mfb
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Examples: AI, leonardo, Quicksilver's deck, Dragons (higher Sorcery rating in SR4 as an example), the original otaku.

i think there's a difference between things which fall outside the rules, and things which break the rules. AIs fall outside the rules. handwaving the 10-success headshot that the sam hit your NPC with because you wanted to use that NPC later, i would call breaking the rules.
fistandantilus4.0
I agree. I don't think that 's what the statement is intended for and I'd hit anyone that did this with my BBB. Assuming they're within book-smacking distance of course. Some of the coolest games I've seen where ones where the Big Bad Villian bought it in a very quick and unexpected way. I don't think the "ignore rules" rule should ever be used in a way that totally screws the PCs. Defeats the whole purpose of the game.
mfb
cool. just clarifying.
FrankTrollman
In an attempt to get this thread back on topic, I don't think that using magic "looks like" anything. It doesn't show up on film, and it doesn't go out over the trid phone.

People get a perception test to notice sorcery. But there's no perception test to notice sorcery that has been recorded. People are alive and a little bit in tune with Astral Space whether they are currently astrally perceiving or not. Awakened people, who are more in tune with magic, have a correspondingly easier time detecting its use.

But the sense you are detecting it with isn't "sight" or "taste" it's your "living sense" - more like your "empathy". There's no modifier to your chance to notice Sorcery just because you've never seen sorcery in yor whole life - it's instinctual. It's a sense you never use, but as soon as you're confronted with something in it there is no doubt in your mind.

If a man casts a Force 6 Manabolt, another man will fall over dead. And every single other person in the room will know who did it. But it won't "look like" anything.

-Frank
Konsaki
Shows the 'Physical Mask/Trid/Entertainment' spells to Frank.
They do show up on film, cameras and other media if the spell is designed for it. Things like Fireball and other indirect combat spells should be the same since they are dealing with real elements that can be caught on video in real life.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Shows the 'Physical Mask/Trid/Entertainment' spells to Frank.
They do show up on film, cameras and other media if the spell is designed for it. Things like Fireball and other indirect combat spells should be the same since they are dealing with real elements that can be caught on video in real life.

The effects show up on film yes. But the casting does not. If you use control thoughts to get a man to rob a bank - the bank robbery will show up on film. The arcane lines of domination moving from your aura to the targets won't.

When you are a person who happens to be near someone who is casting trid phantasm, you know that they cast a spell. But a man looking at a video camera does not get that knowledge - nor does someone who walks into a room where a phantasm spell is being sustained.

Living people are entitled to a perception test any time someone casts a spell within their vicinity to know that they did that. And that test is extremely easy for even moderately powerful magic.

-Frank
Konsaki
Ok, I agree with you there. I think I misread the previous post. My apologies.
Habzial
In regards to the original topic:

A successful sorcery perception test means, in that single instance, a mundane correctly determined that sorcery had been used based on what s/he could perceive. It does not require that a mundane must be capable of sensing magic or even recognizing magic on a regular basis. Think about perception tests from the opposite point of view. A failed visual perception test, for example, doesn't mean someone is blind. It just means at the time they could notice something visually they failed to do so.

Now, if you're hung up on delving into how a mundane noticed, I can think of two appropriate ways...

The first has already been said: intense concentration. The signs of this could be veins popping out on the forehead, the arteries in the eyes standing out, breaking into a sweat, audibly straining (a quiet, sustained groan for example), physically shaking, gritted teeth, and so on.

Remember, although a mage is not physically doing anything to cast a spell, the act of doing so is very taxing on the body. Outside of decking/rigging, there is no activity a mundane can perform with their mind that causes stun damage. It stands to reason that magic use is the most taxing mental activity possible without mechanical aid. Add to that the fact that a spell only takes 2 or 3 seconds to cast. It's not unreasonable to believe that a mundane could perceive magic use under these conditions.

Your character sees a woman turn deep red and, almost simultaneously, a security guard falls over. She doesn't seem surprised. Your character passes his sorcery perception test. All that success means is that your character correctly determines, based on the course of events and/or woman's behavior afterwards, that the woman has cast a spell. If your character failed the perception test, s/he might simply be confused about what just happened

Perception is not about your senses working properly. Perception is the proper interpretation of the data fed to you by your senses.

Now, if you don't like that, there's an alternate approach that might work.

First, remember that all mundanes are capable of perceiving things which occur on the astral. They are vastly inferior to awakened beings, but that doesn't change the fact they can do so. The Wuxing tower, for example, focuses mana flow so effectively that it's visible to mundanes. (Unfortunately I can't recall which book brings that up.) Likewise, there are numerous examples of mundanes' sixth sense being triggered which have already been listed.

Next, consider that things which occur astrally are not directional. You couldn't sneak up from behind a mage's astral form because it doesn't really have sides. Projecting mages are aware of whatever they're capable of being aware of, based solely on astral perception. A mage may "see" another mage's astral form as a troll in medieval armor, but what they are really perceiving is how the person in range sees themselves inside.

So what does this lead to? All mundanes could be treated as having a sixth sense, based on some of the scraps of information provided about the SR universe. They wouldn't see, hear, smell, feel, or taste a spell being cast. Instead, they would sense what happened on a mental level. That's why psychic abilities are called the "sixth sense;" because they are a source of information in addition to the other five senses. Unfortunately, books tend to try to describe magic-based perception in terms of other senses, to help people figure out how to RP it. It tends to lead to people leaping to the conclusion that mages just have better senses than other people instead of an additional sense.

Let's call this sixth sense "psychic perception," just to avoid confusion with existing terms in the book. Treat psychic perception as a completely different sense from the RL five senses. It works like a radiation detector and you are instinctively able to interpret information from it. This will make RPing sorcery perception a great deal easier. Awakened characters have way, way better psychic perception than anyone else and can actively control it. Mundanes have terrible, involuntary psychic perception. Under certain circumstances (or just blind luck), it goes off and they correctly interpret what it tells them.

If you have trouble imagining how it works, treat it as augmenting any of the other senses. Maybe a mundane would interpret the signals from it and imagine seeing the magic. Maybe they'd interpret it by hearing the voice of someone from their childhood shouting what happened and who did it. Maybe they'd just feel a cold chill that gets worse when they look at the caster. The point is, they'd get the information (during a successful test), then their brain would present it to them in a way that they come to the correct conclusion.

I hope that helps.
TheOOB
Heres a question, if someone casts influence on you, and you fail the resistance check but succeed the check to notice they are using magic, what happens?
Habzial
That's a tough question. If I was the GM, I'd rule that you forget you noticed (at least until breaking the spell), because influence forcefully redirects your train of thought as part of how it functions. Still, there's a lot of room for interpretation.
TheOOB
Perhaps you reconize it was magic, but you don't care at the moment. Perhaps later when you're wondering why you did something so stupid, you relize they cast a spell on you right about the time you did something you wouldn't normally do.

Put 2-and-2 together and you get a good vendetta.
Habzial
Yeah, exactly. It's just like any other information you might lose track of... because you suddenly "decide" to patrol somewhere else, despite being in the middle of questioning a trespasser.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012