Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few questions on Regeneration
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
CoalHeart
If an awakened character had the power of Regeneration from lets say Vampirism.

Do they loose a point of magic when they hit D physical damage?
Would they heal from taking Physical drain from a spell?
Do they heal stun damage at the same rate as physical damage?
Does it make them immune to the effects of drugs or toxins? (lets say if they didn't have the immunity power)
example
Pepper Punch does L damage stun + effects. Do you regenerate from effects?
Neurostun is S stun, do you regenerate from that?
Novacoke would it have any affects on you at all?
Seven7 is D physical, Do you 'die' from it and then just get up 3 seconds later even while being repeatedly exposed?

If you were projecting and then got attacked astrally and took damage. Would you regenerate that astral damage?
If you were just dual and took astral damage would you regenerate as well?

And if you were me would you just get a dam clue and buy more of the shadowrun books to answer your own questions?
Siege
If you don't own the book and nobody else in your crew owns the book, fake it. They won't know and if they own the book and want to use the power, they need to loan it to you (assuming you're the GM).

As for the rest, I don't have a clue -- most of my books are buried somewhere.

-Siege
nezumi
This is pretty much how I understand it:
Unless specifically noted otherwise, a character regenerates ALL and ONLY physical damage, irrelevant of the cause. So that includes physical drain and astral damage. Every time the creature gets that hurt, there's a chance he doesn't heal (you can look at the book for the rules, it's not a big chance, but it's there). So when hit with Seven7, assuming you always took maximum damage, you'd be knocked unconscious then repeatedly 'heal' and 'die', each time risking NOT regenerating. I'd rule you're unconscious until pulled out, and eventually you'll just roll poorly and die. Also, if you take enough overdamage to permanently kill you, you're dead forever (don't forget that D on the damage-o-meter just means out of commission, not technically dead.)

Aside from healing, all standard rules apply (so yes, risk losing that magic point).

Regeneration does *NOT* apply to stun damage. That includes from toxins, drain, tasers, whatever. If you read the books, you'll see the most effective way of 'killing' a shapeshifter is through knocking it out.

I would buy the shadowrun companion. It has a LOT of useful material (including the stuff on regeneration). Its own of the more often used books (probably competing only with M&M and Cannon Companion).
BitBasher
nezumi is wrong some points.

Do they loose a point of magic when they hit D physical damage?
Nothing automatically loses a point of magic when hitting D damage, they have to roll for it. There are no rules exceptions saying this is not the case for regenerating creatures so therefore yes, they have to roll for magic loss.

Would they heal from taking Physical drain from a spell?
According to the rules for regeneration that was provided in the Companion drain regenerates at 1 box per minute. Faster than normal but not nearly as fast as normal regeneration.

Do they heal stun damage at the same rate as physical damage?
YES. In previous editions of SR I believe it was stated that they regenerated physical damage. In 3rd edition it just says "damage" which would apply to both physical and stun since they are both damage and neither is specified. I double checked this. Regeneration is nasty. No free rides. Nezumi's contention about not healing stun damage does ot exist in 3rd edition. Feel free to look it up.

Does it make them immune to the effects of drugs or toxins? (lets say if they didn't have the immunity power) example Pepper Punch does L damage stun + effects. Do you regenerate from effects? Neurostun is S stun, do you regenerate from that? Novacoke would it have any affects on you at all?
Seven7 is D physical, Do you 'die' from it and then just get up 3 seconds later even while being repeatedly exposed?
GM's call.

and as for nezumi:
Also, if you take enough overdamage to permanently kill you, you're dead forever
Do you have a quote to back that up? that is not listed as a way to kill a regenerating creature. There is no qualifier that I found that would lead me to believe that is the case.
Artemis
Severed spine, as in head removed from body, is one sure way to kill a regenerating being. Or throwing their limp body into an incinerator and locking them in. I know several runners who carry a special load of silver bullets just to be on the safe side.

I recall reading that shapeshifters, and I'm not sure if this applies to all regenerating creatures, must roll a 1d6 every time they take deadly damage in a single hit and that a roll of 1 means that they have been damaged in such a way or to such permanent degree that they cannot regenerate and will die if they are not attended to.
nezumi
Artemis, you are correct on all counts.

In regards to stun vs. Physical: No, it does not specify. HOWEVER, it doesn't say it heals stun, nor does it say it heals physical damage, it simply says 'damage'. Since regeneration is literally rebuilding of physical wounds and not resting while still moving or maintaining a clear head, I'd guess this falls under the 'dumb mistake' category. But that's obviously open to interpretation, and it's quite likely that BitBasher is right. In general, I go with 2nd edition rules on shapeshifters anyhow, since they do seem better thought out (2 sets of stats?? Healing from D to nothing in one turn?)

In regards to shapeshifters being dead dead dead when they're out of overdamage... Firstly it says they heal unless they suffer 'massive amounts of damage'. This is up to intepretation, but I would say that means you're out of overdamage. I'd also say this because it seems to me that your body needs to still be running to be trying to heal itself, and that if this is some sort of magic, the target is likely 'self' not 'corpse'. Finally, just because the rules don't say 'when a regenerating creature is killed dead dead dead, it means its dead dead dead' doesn't mean that isn't the case, nor that the contrary is true. Once again though, it's up to interpretation.

Also worth noting is what Artemus said: Shapeshifters cannot regenerate damage to the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). This is not reflected in the rules at all, but if you shoot a shapeshifter in the head, its dead. If you break its back with a sluggo bat, its paralyzed forever.

In the end? Go with 2nd edition rules. As an addendum onto my earlier statements about buying the companion, get the second edition version : ) I'm not sure that there are any real changes for flaws and new breeds, and the shapeshifter rules are much better.
BitBasher
Incidentally, in 2nd ed, creatures always regenerated all damage in one turn. PC's just regenerated MUCH slower. In 3rd all they did was make damage apply equally for PC's and NPC's, which IMHO is better. If something is imbalncing when given to a PC then DON'T GIVE IT TO A PC! biggrin.gif
Lilt
Well: as there are no rules for cutting-off a character's head I'd say that regenerating creatures are safe from that, until you add house rules ETC.

As-for stun damage: IMHO Wound effects can be regenerated (Tazers, Drain, Punches ETC) but not damage from fatigue. Toxins are a borderline one but I'd say that they affect the character normally; regenerating tissue can't set-right the chemical signals in the brain that are being messed-about with.

Also we're not talking about shapeshifters here, we're talking about vampires.
El_Machinae
Maybe, for balance sake, you could set a difference between self-inflicted stun damage (drain) and opponent-inflicted stun (getting punched). One is regenerated, one isn't.

I mean, did you ever see Wolverine get taken down by fists after shrugging off bullets?
Syndyne
For those who like the references:

On pp. 36 Shadowrun Companion states that a shapeshifter mage who survives deadly damage makes the check for magic loss.

Additionally, from the same page it states that shapeshifter magicians regenerate the Physical damage caused by spellcasting drain at the rate of one Damage box per minute.

There is no mention of a penalty for regeneration of stun damage from drain although I think that it would be good to have a house rule making it slower than normal regen.

I don't think that we really need to argue the rules for other regenerating races, since they are not playable the rules are not as defined for them as PC races and GMs should be able to make their own call based on the type of creature.

===========================

Since I make it a rule not to leave anything that doesn't like me and regenerates alone until its been dismembered, eviscerated, beheaded and burned to that just right crispy texture, I usually don't have to worry about them coming back to annoy me.

--Syndyne
Artemis
Heh, house rules or not, if you can knock the thing unconscious in under a minute then you have a good opportunity to remove its head if you wish to. Rules or no rules, reality answers a few questions that go beyond the written rules.

Personally, I'd prefer a dikote katana with silver dust sprinkled on it. But a wooden stake will do for now.
tisoz
QUOTE (CoalHeart)
Seven7 is D physical, Do you 'die' from it and then just get up 3 seconds later even while being repeatedly exposed?[/quote]
They would take D damage, check for regeneration (anything but result of 1 on 1D6), and get their turn, taking the effect of the drug at the end of their turn.
[quote]If you were projecting and then got attacked astrally and took damage. Would you regenerate that astral damage?
If you were just dual and took astral damage would you regenerate as well?

Yes.

Also, remember the 1D6 roll to see if the creature regenerates. It won't on a result of 1, or a result of 1 or 2 from massive damage.
spotlite
Also we're not talking about shapeshifters here, we're talking about vampires.

But the rules for regenning player characters are in the SC under shapeshifters. Now, true, its not a vampire so maybe it regenns differently, but having read them, they read more like an expanded version of the normal regen rules, with nothing lost, only added to. If you take those as superceding the normal critter version for all things that regen (like Vampires), then it specifically states Physical Damage in all but one occasion, where it states if taken over 'Deadly damage' you test for magic loss - which says to me that deadly stun damage will make you test for magic loss (I think that applies to regular PCs as well). But other than that, it mentions Physical damage specifically in all other instances. So I would go with the 'cannot regen Stun' ruling.

Even if you say that they CAN regen Stun, to answer another question about regenning stun specifically caused by drain, I would say this - in every thing I can find except three specific cases (resist pain adept power, trauma damper and stim patches) there is nothing that deals with healing stun damage except the normal rules from the Combat chapter SR3, and NOTHING at all heals drain stun except in the normal way, you can only get help ignoring it. There's no spell (to quote the resist pain spell which is only physical damage affecting: 'there is no spell yet known to man') which can resist/heal stun and therefore get rid of Drain which has been suffered. Yes, alright, so you could probably design a spell then cos it says 'yet', but you know what I mean. So I would say the Vampire cannot regen stun drain damage. Makes sense. Think of all the vampire movies and tv shows where they taser the vampires, club em in the back of the head from ambush and so on so they can carry them off to question/torture/experiment on. And in the SR novels, where it comes up, knocking them out is effective.

I'd say no, definately.
Corywn
Regarding whether or not Regeneration can heal stun damage, I have only this bit of maybe-not-so common sense:

Bruises, concussions, and the like are minor internal bleeding. These are reflected as Stun damage in SR, along with fatigue, and some drug effects.

Cuts, broken bones, and the like (including internal bleeding) are more major injuries. These are reflected by Physical damage in SR.

My point is that any damage from any physical source (and some Magical sources, mostly Stunballs) should be able to be regenerated. I've always considered for purposes of Regeneration that any form of actual damage, Regeneration heals it, but fatigue, chemical effects, et al, are left alone.
Artemis
A Vampire...

Okay Syndyne, on three. ::readies her wooden stake::

Mephisto
CoalHeart
Before you get to 3.

6 of the Vampire's buddies jump you from behind.

along with thier pet piasmas
Artemis
Ah but we never waited for three mind you. Is an old Shadowrunner tradition to attack on 2!

::hacks and slashes, throwing spells the whole way::
BitBasher
And in the SR novels, where it comes up, knocking them out is effective.
Not entirely true, in the novel Striper Assassin the shapeshifter was knocked out and a mage had to immediately sustain a spell to prevent her from waking, and had to keep sustaining that spell the entire time lest she wake up. Of course, novels arte not canon for rules. See The Terminus Experiment for more bullshit.
spotlite
QUOTE (BitBasher)
And in the SR novels, where it comes up, knocking them out is effective.
Not entirely true, in the novel Striper Assassin the shapeshifter was knocked out and a mage had to immediately sustain a spell to prevent her from waking, and had to keep sustaining that spell the entire time lest she wake up. Of course, novels arte not canon for rules. See The Terminus Experiment for more bullshit.

OK, i stand corrected, cos I can't think of any specific examples like you can!
BitBasher
Incidentally, I pretty much agree with corwyn's idea of how regen should work. I may have drugs knock them out, but thats only an issue with shifters, cause IIRC vamps have immunity to age, pathogens, poisons. I could be wrong tho.
Zazen
QUOTE (BitBasher)
and as for nezumi:
Also, if you take enough overdamage to permanently kill you, you're dead forever
Do you have a quote to back that up? that is not listed as a way to kill a regenerating creature. There is no qualifier that I found that would lead me to believe that is the case.

My BBB says that a character dies instantly when subjected to his body rating in overdamage boxes. If this were not the case for a regenerating character, it would have to say so somewhere.
Syndyne
QUOTE (Zazen)
My BBB says that a character dies instantly when subjected to his body rating in overdamage boxes. If this were not the case for a regenerating character, it would have to say so somewhere.

That simply refers to characters not being kept alive by medical treatment. The shapeshifter section of the SRComp states that shapeshifters don't follow the "standard rules" for death unless they first fail the regen test.
Syndyne
QUOTE (CoalHeart @ Nov 4 2003, 04:49 PM)
Before you get to 3.

6 of the Vampire's buddies jump you from behind.

along with thier pet piasmas

Conversation heard afterwards between our teams two Trolls:

Core (Troll Samurai): "Only six of them??? What were they thinking?"

Ajax (Troll Physad): *sheathing his weapon foci* "I don't think they were. . . want a piasma head trophy?"

Core: "Na, lets stuff em."

Ajax: "It's hard to stuff anything after YOU shoot it."

Core: *Sets down his heavy machinegun* "Damn!"

cool.gif
CoalHeart
Incidently I forgot to mention the 6 guys had area kink bombs installed with trigger of when they die, they go boom.

That makes me wonder if a being with regeneration could survive that. I mean install a bomb in them, blow them up. on a roll of d6, would they pull themselves together?
spotlite
install a bomb in a creature which regens... er, how?
CoalHeart
Tack hammer and duct tape, that's how it's always done isn't it?
spotlite
lol biggrin.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (Syndyne)

That simply refers to characters not being kept alive by medical treatment. The shapeshifter section of the SRComp states that shapeshifters don't follow the "standard rules" for death unless they first fail the regen test.

[QUOTE]

What makes you think this? I've been under the impression that medical treatment keeps you from losing more boxes of overdamage (hopefully). I've never read anything which says that, when being treated by medical personnel, you are no longer capable of death.

Where does it say in the SRComp that shapeshifters don't follow the standard rules for death? It does say "Whenever a shapeshifter takes Deadly physical damage in one shot blah blah rolle 1D6. On a result of 1, the shapeshifter does not regenerate and may die if they do not receive medical care blah blah For any other result, the character suffers the standard damage penalties for the Combat Turn in which the damage was inflicted, but the damage vanishes the beginning of the next Combat Turn." Of course, shapeshifters still die from "massive amounts of damage or damage to the brain or spinal cord." (all p. 36) So the rules do not explicitly deal with death (which is a pretty big oversight). However, since overdamage is damage beyond what should kill a man, the kind of damage caused by "ridiculous situations", I would say that if he's dead, he's dead (remember, what I'm saying is if 10+Body points of damage are done in ONE TURN, the creature is dead. We're talking about naval weapons, I would rule that pretty massive).
Zazen
QUOTE (Syndyne)
The shapeshifter section of the SRComp states that shapeshifters don't follow the "standard rules" for death unless they first fail the regen test.

I'm unable to locate the text you mention. Can you provide a page number?
Syndyne
Zazen:

Page 36, the regeneration section, paragraph 3.

nezumi:
What makes you think this? I've been under the impression that medical treatment keeps you from losing more boxes of overdamage (hopefully). I've never read anything which says that, when being treated by medical personnel, you are no longer capable of death.

I'm not sure how you are reading this into my previous post. I'm simply saying that shapeshifters don't follow the normal rules for death (you die once you have taken more boxes of overdamage than you have available) unless they fail the test. The rules I am looking at also have a modifier for massive tissue damage, burns, etc. in which case you have a worse chance to regen.

nezumi:
Where does it say in the SRComp that shapeshifters don't follow the standard rules for death? It does say "Whenever a shapeshifter takes Deadly physical damage in one shot blah blah rolle 1D6. On a result of 1, the shapeshifter does not regenerate and may die if they do not receive medical care blah blah

Ok, let me ask you where it states that they DO die if they go into overdamage. It explains, quite clearly, what occurs when a character goes over deadly. As previously stated, there is a section dealing with a higher role for massive damage. It does not make an exception for going over the overflow boxes. You seem to be treating the main book as though it overrides the Shapeshifter rules in the SR Companion as opposed to the other way around.

I am not saying that I would not, when GMing, rule a character dead if he was struck by something that I thought would obliterate him. Far from it, I most certainly will rule him or her dead. But I can shoot someone twice with a pistol and give them 20 boxes of damage. IMHO 2 bullet holes from a heavy pistol are not equivalent to the damage dished out by Naval Gunfire.
RedmondLarry
I'm with Syndyne on this.
QUOTE (Shadowrun Companion p. 36)
Regeneration makes shapeshifters virtually immune to death from injury, unless they suffer massive amounts of damage or damage to the brain or spinal cord.

A Body 1 Shapeshifter, if he automatically died at 12 boxes of physical (2 serious wounds), wouldn't be considered anywhere close to being immune to death from injury, and he should be considered virtually immune to it.

In addition, the Shapeshifter section references p. 13 of Critters, which starts
QUOTE (Critters p. 13 Regeneration)
A creature with the Regeneration power cannot be killed by any damage except that which injures the spine or brain.
Zazen
QUOTE (Syndyne)
Zazen:

Page 36, the regeneration section, paragraph 3.

I'm unable to find where it says that shapeshifters are not subject to standard rules for death. I did find this, however:

"For any other result {on the d6 test} the character suffers the standard damage penalties for the Combat Turn in which the damage was inflicted, but the damage vanishes at the beginning of the next combat turn."

I propose that permanent death is a standard penalty associated with taking your body rating in overdamage, and so occurs regardless of the regeneration ability.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Syndyne)
I can shoot someone twice with a pistol and give them 20 boxes of damage. IMHO 2 bullet holes from a heavy pistol are not equivalent to the damage dished out by Naval Gunfire.

With regards to shapeshifters (which I presume you were speaking about), you're entirely accurate. For the rest of the world, though, it doesn't matter whether a shot splatters all of you or just your brain, you're just as dead.

~J
nezumi
The book doesn't mention overdamage (or running out of it). It mentions deadly damage, but IMO, that's not the same. It's been quite established that Deadly Damage and Death are very, very different things (namely, one is quite permanent). The rules do NOT deal with hitting death. I WOULD agree that a creature in overdamage would heal it, according to the rules. (FYI, the part about dying from insane amounts of damage is the first or second line on the part about regeneration).

Yes, hypothetically, a Body 1 shapeshifter could die from 2 pistol wounds... However, this is Body 1! This is worse than an cripple. I have no problem with treating crippled animals like they're weaker than everyone else of their kind. But for most creatures, you're going to find it difficult to fill up all of their overdamage boxes in one turn without some serious firepower. Even deadly damage weapons will likely only fill one or two boxes. A pistol would, from my reading, fill in 1 box a shot (since overdamage doesn't seem to work like normal damage). Now this is only my interpretation, and I don't have the book in front of me, but that's what it looks like. This means you need a LOT of ammunition or some heavy duty firepower to kill a shapeshifter in one round.

The second thing you have to look at is balance. I have no problem with having NPCs get up and run around after getting killed; they're NPCs. But if you want to give PCs virtual invulnerability... that seems like a very, very bad idea, and I cannot imagine how the playtesters thought it would be okay to have a character who can withstand getting hit repeatedly by a railgun and walk away unscathed. It simply doesn't make sense.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Zazen @ Nov 6 2003, 09:52 AM)
I propose that permanent death is a standard penalty associated with taking your body rating in overdamage, and so occurs regardless of the regeneration ability.

I disagree with the proposition. The term "penalty" is used in the game to refer to a hard numerical penalty rather than a state (IE, "dead"). I would say that someone who took 10+ boxes would not be able to act that round (the penalty), but not that they would be dead (the typical effect, but not a hard numerical penalty).

~J

edit: And regeneration doesn't mean invulnerability. Remember, we're still talking 1/6 chance of death, 1/3 if the damage is particularly traumatizing, and shifters tend to end up in deadly damage-inducing situations more than the rest of the population, in my experience.
Lilt
It does say that regenerating creatures are virtually immune to death from injury, and deadly-over damage is simply some more injury, so I'd say it'd be regenerated.

I would personally count the damage reaching the overflow limit as 'massive damage' in the 1/3 chance of not regenerating *and* the standard 1/6 chance of not regenerating. Thus a character hit with deadly + full over damage would have a 5/18 chance of survival. Now that is a pretty low chance of survival (over a 2/3rds chance of death).

Every deadly wound he took after that, of course, would be another 1/6th chance of death (or 1/3 chance if it's a particularily traumatic deadly wound). A coupple of characters firing a coupple more rounds each into the 'corpse' should suffice. (a 3125/46656 chance, roughly 1/15, of survival).

Also I'd count called shots to the head (the stage-up type rather than the ignore armor type) that do deadly wounds as 1/3rd chances of dieing.

The fact remains that the rules for regeneration are vague. Could someone ask fanpro about what the official line on this is?
Mercer
QUOTE (Artemis)
Heh, house rules or not, if you can knock the thing unconscious in under a minute then you have a good opportunity to remove its head if you wish to. Rules or no rules, reality answers a few questions that go beyond the written rules.

I am unaware what the effects of cutting off a shapechanger's or vampire's head are, in reality.

But this is where I mention, for no good reason, how I changed Regen because I felt it didn't work all that well.

Vamps Regen at a rate of One Wound Level per Point of Essence Spent (I also make vamps spend points for a couple of other powers, like Enhanced Attribute and Mist Form).

Shapechangers Regen Physical Damage as per the normal Healing Stun Damage Rules. Stun Damage for shapes' disappears at the end of the round unless they go to Deadly and fail the d6 roll.

Megaladons (my fave), get book Regen as written, not because they replace lost mass in seconds, but because they are so frickin' big that you can blow off a chunk the size of a Volkswagon and as long as it wasn't brain, they probably won't notice.

Which brings up one final point. In Cyberpirates a pirate (I believe a cybered one) says he could feed the world if he operated a Megaladon fish farm. I humbly propose this wouldn't work because the Meg would have to eat as much meat as you were cutting off, minus the waste. It's not like Megs have pocket dimensions within them to the elemental plane of Shark Meat.
Kagetenshi
No, but Dragons demonstrate that magic and mass are equivalent, much like mass and energy. After all, Lofwyr in human form doesn't weigh however much he does in Dragon form.

~J
nezumi
QUOTE (Lilt)
Also I'd count called shots to the head (the stage-up type rather than the ignore armor type) that do deadly wounds as 1/3rd chances of dieing.

Called shots to the head cannot be regenerated (see 'damage to the brain and spinal cord', jut before death by massive damage). But this goes back to the 'called shot to the face with the AVS' debate.

I don't see how magic and mass are equivalent. When Lofwyr turns human he has less magic (since he has less mass)? If Lofwyr went on a pie eating binge he'd be more powerful? I would disagree with Mercer because it is magic, so assumedly the calories and vitamins required to create more tissue is somehow provided because of that. Otherwise, the fast spell would only work on a full stomache : )
Kagetenshi
No. Lofwyr uses magic to turn to human form; his mass reduces, but the mass doesn't go anywhere else. Where does it go? The best explaination is that it becomes magic, and that he then turns the magic back into mass when he turns into a dragon. Thus, when a megalodon regenerates, it's because it's converting magic to mass. This is also why you can cast fireballs or something; you convert the magic into thermal energy.

~J
Rock-Steady
I would say the creature is dead when it gets more than Body+10 damage.

There no paragraph under "Regeneration" that says that the above rule is negated.

Ok, you can say there isnt even one that says thal rule counts.

As long we dont get an official answer our diskussion leads nowhere.
BitBasher
No, it does lead somewhere, it leads to: "It's up to your GM", and there's nothing wrong with that wink.gif

Regenerating creatures in my game are damned unholy and hard to kill. And usually moody.
Rock-Steady
Ok *g*

So there is no official answer?
Kagetenshi
I would say there is, but as you've already rejected the answers I'd give your answer is no, there's no official answer.

~J
Artemis
It becomes an interesting debate at this point. I once saw a shapeshifter feed one of her fingers to a pair of hungry gouls on a Chicago bus. Later on the gouls got the idea of capturing her and using her as a natural food source.

Magical regeneration of this type I, and others, have read to mean that missing flesh and bone is actually rebuilt out of pure mana, much like we see the health spell Treat or Heal accomplish, only much faster and with no drain to deal with. The replacing of material is much like the Health spell Nutrition can accomplish by turning pure mana into life-sustaining nurishment. Theoretically someone with that spel, Healthy Glow, and Alter Temperature could survive in the wild or on the streets without the cares of supporting a lifestyle beyond Squatter. A Fashion spell might even make them presentable at formal events.

When we rescued our shapeshifter friend, it appeared they were harvesting her legs as a primary food source. Regeneration became slowed down because of this constant harvesting, but magic prevailed to bestow more meat for the patient gouls.

Your main problem is containing such creatures when they don't wish to be contained.

Mercer -smirk- Well you know... a vamp a day keeps blood banks in business.
Game2BHappy
QUOTE (CoalHeart)

Wouldn't the regenerating character have to make another resistance test at the end of each turn that he is exposed to the drug?

Since Speed:Immediate drugs are resisted at the end of the combat turn, he would regenerate his previous damage and have one turn to do something before (possibly) taking Deadly damage again. and again. and again....
Corywn
QUOTE (nezumi)
Yes, hypothetically, a Body 1 shapeshifter could die from 2 pistol wounds... However, this is Body 1!  This is worse than an cripple.

Better rethink that, because all Shapeshifters are inherently crippled at chargen. Sure, they receive bonuses to some attributes, but they hardly offset the whole extra category of Physical attributes that they have to use. And their animal-form racial bonuses are inferior compared to the normal for their species, with the exception of Fox, who comes out quite nicely.

Further, I agree with what Artemis and others have said. Regeneration is Magic, so is the ability to Shift between forms. There's no need to explain what happens with the mass difference (Eagle and Fox are tiny compared to their Human counterparts, while Bear and Tiger, and to a smaller extent Leopard, are gigantic) or how much a Shifter has to eat in any form (it should be appropriate to the form you assume. If a Tiger is human for a day, it doesn't have to eat 20lbs of raw meat...though Shifters should always prefer their natural form, and hence its diet.)

I vaguely recall a mention in some book or another how there's no reason to explain every detail of how Magic works, for just that reason. It's Magic, and it works in SR.
nezumi
QUOTE (Corywn)
all Shapeshifters are inherently crippled at chargen.  Sure, they receive bonuses to some attributes, but they hardly offset the whole extra category of Physical attributes that they have to use.  And their animal-form racial bonuses are inferior compared to the normal for their species, with the exception of Fox, who comes out quite nicely.

One more reason why I prefer 2nd edition shapeshifter rules for PCs : Þ
BitBasher
in 2nd edition they were even more crippled and followed special regeneration rules that were significantly hobbled over their critter counterparts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012