Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: loading ammo termonology 101
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kagetenshi
Let's attach a removable box magazine to the platypus.

~J
Crakkerjakk
You can have my hobby when you pry it from my cold dead fingers, a la red dawn.
Moon-Hawk
Oooh, I got model planes. smile.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
Can you make a functional model plane large enough to carry a cybernetically enhanced platypus into combat?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Can you make a functional model plane large enough to carry a cybernetically enhanced platypus into combat?

Well yes, but the real problem is timing the drop. I mean, you're moving, the target may be moving, and a platypus isn't exactly the most aerodynamic thing ever constructed. I think the only pilot who could reliably aim and time such a drop would be a drop-bear pilot.
The best part is, the pilot could then bail out and drop into combat as well, alongside is trusty cyber-platypus companion. The plane could return to base via autopilot. That's the easy part.
ShadowDragon8685
I have a really cool idea....

Para-platipi! With removable box magazines and internal cyberguns!
Moon-Hawk
Right! And the removable box magazines have a feeding mechanism for the cybergun. The removable box magazines can be reloaded by inserting rounds individually, or by using a stripper clip.
smile.gif
Platinum
Platapi don't need mags you goofballs ... they are marsupials, they already come with an internal version ... which means you need a clip to load it.
Moon-Hawk
Shoot. You're absolutely right. Considering the fleshy nature of their internal magazine, they'd probably take an en bloc clip, rather than a stripper clip, wouldn't you think?
Demerzel
Platipi lay eggs, I thought that would preclude them from having a pouch...
Moon-Hawk
I obviously don't know enough about these animals.
Maybe the hatched babies move into the pouch? Maybe they don't have a pouch. I'm really not sure.
I know they're venomous.
Platinum
They do lay eggs, but they also have a pouch. they are the only mammal that do lay eggs.
Demerzel
I don't think they are Marsupials... Wiki refers to it being a different branch than marsipials and placentals...
Demerzel
Marsupials are a member of subclass Theria, where Platipi fall under subclass Prototheria...
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Platinum)
They do lay eggs, but they also have a pouch. they are the only mammal that do lay eggs.

They're definitely not the only species of mammal that lays eggs.
I'm doing research.
They're one of five species of monotremes. The other four are all types of echidna. As such, they are neither marsupials nor placental mammals.
The more I read, the more increasingly sure I become they they do not have pouches.
Moon-Hawk
Females have two ovaries but only the left one works!?
These things just keep getting weirder!

edit: And 10 sex chromosomes!? How does that even work!? They've got to keep them all sorted when they're doing meiosis or else they'd end up with 32 genders.

edit again: Actually, with those 32 genders all interbreeding, you'd potentially have XX, XY, and YY for each pair, so that's 3^5 or 243 possible genders. Well obviously they don't do any of that, but how do they make sure they get XXXXX or YYYYY and no other variations when producing sperm? Is the cell division somehow more regulated than just keeping track of pairs individually? Or do non-viable combinations get produced and simply fail? Weird.
HullBreach
The males have a venom secreting spur located on the hind legs used in fights for dominance. The venom is unique in that its only effect is causing extreme pain.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
edit again: Actually, with those 32 genders...

[edited]
Accroding to this one, it's not so much that there is certainty that each platypus has 10 sexual chromosomes, but that there are 5 chromosomes that are always and only seen together in the clearly "Y" DNA strand and a matching 5 that are always and only seen together in the "X" DNA strands.

This means there are 10 chromosomes (5 positions) that have uncertain amounts of influence in the traits understood to be male and female in platypi. It could be that one of them is responsible for the venom glands, could be valid on either strand, but for some reason is only found attached to the real Y gene.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
edit again: Actually, with those 32 genders...

10 sex chromosomes, not 10 dna strands. Humans have an X on one strand and either an X or a Y on the other, platypi could have (arbitrary letters follow) XAGHFTRYUI and YTANGEFDPL.

Not knowing how far the platypi genome program has proceeded, I will suggest that some of these may have nothing to do with sex, but just that they are seen consistently paired with the sex chromosomes so far that whatever they are responsible for is assumed to be a property of the gender.

You do understand that each chromosome is a separate DNA strand, right?
Herald of Verjigorm
No, they aren't. They have 2 DNA strands, as the site I found and used to correct my post clearly states.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)

I can handle civilians making that mistake, as long as they don't get all pissy when they get corrected. Or worse, if they continue to use the term incorrectly after you've corrected them.

But *I'm* a civilian, and I know the difference.

I suppose it doesn't help that the BBB refers to "clips" on the EQ list.
Moon-Hawk
No, they aren't. They have 2 DNA strands, as the site I found and used to correct my post clearly states.

I am reading your link, and I don't see it.
Different chromosomes are different strands of DNA. That's what a chromosome is.
The fact that they form a single multivalent chain doesn't mean that it's one strand of DNA, it means that they don't pair off individually, they always link together, so you always get XXXXX or YYYYY, but never XYYXX.
No, they don't all determine gender, but one set is only found in males, so they're all by definition sex chromosomes.
Herald of Verjigorm
Nevermind, my post was going to be based on a misrecollection.
Slump
I recall seeing a discovery channel type thing on platypii (?!) that indicated that they had pouches. From what I recall, basically the egg is laid into a pouch, where the baby platypus hatches from.

Could be totally wrong, though. It's happened before.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Wiki)
The eggs develop in utero for about 28 days with only about 10 days of external incubation (in contrast to a chicken egg which spends about 1 day in tract and 21 days externally).[26] After laying her eggs, the female curls around them.

DOn't know how reliable that is, but perhaps the long in utero time can be thought of as a pouch, but the part about curling around them seems to make me think that sh does not lay them into a pouch.
Crakkerjakk
I think we're ignoring an important point though. That point being that Wombats are cool. I mean sure, Platypii are freaky and wierd(and venemous) but wombats are like mini-bears, except without the omniverous teeth. Apparently they can mass up to 36 kilos. Don't wanna run into one of them in a dark alley(especially if he's on kamikaze.)
Kagetenshi
WOMBAT!

We need Awakened wombat stats. Who is willing to accept this vital mission?

~J
fistandantilus4.0
wombrick pg 116 T:AL

Now that that's taken care of, please bring this back to topic.
X-Kalibur
It does give me a really interesting idea for a runner named Platypus now though... he has spurs implanted in his elbows that inject toxins.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Now that that's taken care of, please bring this back to topic.

Which topic? Ammo loading device terminology or platypi genetic anomolies that have yet to be scientifically answered?
Kagetenshi
I guess I should have been more specific. We need more awakened Wombats.

As for the topic, we're still discussing Shadowrun last I checked.

~J
fistandantilus4.0
Yep. If you'd like to discuss awakened wombats, why don't you start a thread for it. That way you don't have to dig through 4 pages of loading ammo to find your wombat, as this thread is inteded for something else.
Demerzel
I thought we were trying to determine if a Platipus had a En Block Magazine in the form of a Marsupial like pouch....
HullBreach
How about a belt-fed platapus? Could be an impressive support weapon!
fistandantilus4.0
Feel free to discuss the noble Platypus and it's cybernetic weapon options else where. This thread is done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012