Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: loading ammo termonology 101
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Platinum
a nice little tutorial video that explains clips and mags. (I kept using the wrong term)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzmVJ1rXD9U
HullBreach
I used to get called a nomenclature nazi for yelling at people about this all the time. Good resource though!
bibliophile20
That's very interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind.
Moon-Hawk
I walk a middle ground. I know the difference, I just don't care.
I don't care enough to go on a campaign trying to educate everyone I speak to about guns. If I want to be understood, I'll use the term that I expect the person to understand. If I think they'd actually care to know, I might explain the difference, but only if I think they'd really appreciate the edification.
TheOneRonin
I wouldn't stoop to calling a desktop PC a "modem" just so the person on the phone knows what I'm talking about. If they have half a brain, they would rather be correct in their terminology than continue to use the wrong word for what they are talking about. If they are too dumb to care, or so stubborn that they take offense at being corrected, they cease to count as regular human beings in my book. I have no sympathy for someone who wishes to remain ignorant because they can't handle being corrected.

Besides, I think it takes a bigger person to kindly offer to correct someone's incorrect terminology than it does to snicker behind their back because they said "modem" when they meant "desktop".

FYI, I'm prior service Army, and I currently work in the computer field, so I regularly deal with people who use incorrect terminology. Some get offended when I correct them. Most don't.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
I wouldn't stoop to calling a desktop PC a "modem" just so the person on the phone knows what I'm talking about.

Now that's a faulty comparison. The difference between clips and magazines is far closer to the difference between a cable modem and DSL. Different ways of doing primarily the same thing.

A proper match for the modem/PC error is referring to a rifle as a "removable box magazine."
Kagetenshi
HoV: I disagree entirely. A desktop PC both modulates and demodulates. It is, therefore, a mod/dem—it's just that calling it that is misleading, since that's a very small subset of its functionality (and usually just a side effect of its desired function).

~J
nezumi
And a rifle is in fact removable and does hold one or more bullets nyahnyah.gif

I wonder how many other forums get sidetracked by discussing how appropriate a metaphor is.
Kagetenshi
Removable from what? Rifles don't go in things. Things can be designed for them to to be put in, but that's different.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 21 2007, 04:46 PM)
Removable from what? Rifles don't go in things.

They do once you affix bayonets. (well, the bayonete is intended to go in things...)
Crakkerjakk
The difference between the two only matters to gun nuts, IMO. I don't bother correcting normal folks, since I doubt they care and according to popular usage "clips" is interchangable with "mags," however wrong that is. If a fellow Marine called one of his mags a clip, however, I'd probably give him the "Are you effing retarded?" look. I only correct folks who might be interested in actually knowing the correct usages of the two words, in other words. People I go shooting with? Correct improper usage of shooting terminology. Friends of friends that are obviously civilians and think that everyone who owns a firearm is slightly nuts? I let em keep being wrong. They don't care, they won't remember if I correct em, and it'll just piss me off when they forget the proper term later. Kind of like the difference between a "boat" and a "ship" or a "gun" and a "rifle" or "weapon." Only really matters to those who deal with them frequently.
Kagetenshi
Not true! I don't deal with these things frequently at all, and they bother me a great deal! wink.gif

~J
Slump
I want a rifle, preferably in pistol size, -- smoothbore really doesn't do much for my groupings. grinbig.gif

Sometimes the terminology is actually an impediment to understanding, unless you use it in the 'common use.' When I say 'clip,' it's a fair bet I'm refering to something that you jam into a gun to provide the gun with bullets. When I say 'magazine,' it's a fair bet I'm refering to a periodical publication with a glossy cover.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (HullBreach)
I used to get called a nomenclature nazi for yelling at people about this all the time. Good resource though!

I think it's important to correct terminology. Nothing makes me gnash my teeth as much as people referring to magazines as clips.
TheOneRonin
This discussion begs the question:

If, in casual conversation, you incorrectly use a bit of terminology, specific to a field in which you are not an expert, and someone corrects you, how do you handle it?

My guess is, most of the people on this board would rather know the correct terminology to use in conversation than rather go on using a word/phrase incorrectly and looking like an idiot in front of those who know better.

I'd rather be humble and right than proud and wrong.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (HullBreach @ Mar 21 2007, 01:21 PM)

I think it's important to correct terminology. Nothing makes me gnash my teeth as much as people referring to magazines as clips.

I can handle civilians making that mistake, as long as they don't get all pissy when they get corrected. Or worse, if they continue to use the term incorrectly after you've corrected them.

The best response I ever got after correcting someone on the clip/magazine issue was:

"Oh yeah? What makes you think you know everything?"
Kagetenshi
Search for the terms "hacker" and "cracker" together and you'll discover that fewer people here care about using the correct word than you'd think.

Also, in a spot of irony, it doesn't "beg the question" (although I'm in favour of eliminating the special meaning of "begging the question", as it's a horribly poor translation).

~J
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Also, in a spot of irony, it doesn't "beg the question" (although I'm in favour of eliminating the special meaning of "begging the question", as it's a horribly poor translation).

~J

Here's a perfect example of what I was talking about. Based on Kage's comment, I looked up the phrase "beg the question". Looks like I've been using that phrase incorrectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

I could get all upset and defensive, or I could say, 'Well, you KNOW what I meant.' But the bottom line is I used a word/phrase/terminology incorrectly. Now I know better.

As I stated earlier, I'd rather be humble and correct, than proud and wrong.
Moon-Hawk
Oh man, that "begging the question" thing is going to be tough to relearn.

Could somebody explain why the M1's loading device is a clip and not a magazine? It's at about 3:00 in the video. It's a little box that holds the rounds. The box is then inserted into the gun, in it's entirety. When you're finished with it, the little box is ejected along with any rounds still in it. So how is that not a magazine?
Austere Emancipator
The M1 Garand en bloc clip is hardly a box, the sides of the clip are just slightly extended. The rifle has a fixed internal magazine from which the rounds are fed into the chamber; the en bloc clip, like all clips, is just a device that aids inserting rounds into the magazine.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Oh man, that "begging the question" thing is going to be tough to relearn.

If it makes you feel any better, here's what the wiki has to say on that:

"Modern usage"

More recently, "begs the question" has been used as a synonym for "invites the question" or "raises the question," or to indicate that "the question ought to be addressed." In this usage, "the question" is stated in the next phrase. For example: "This year's budget deficit is half a trillion dollars. This begs the question: how are we ever going to balance the budget?" Argument over whether this usage should be considered incorrect is an example of the debate between linguistic prescription and description.
Moon-Hawk
edit: This is in response to Austere Emancipator, in case that isn't obvious.
I still don't really see the difference.
Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about, I think that's been made abundantly clear from the question, but I promise I'm not being deliberately obtuse. At least not yet. wink.gif
Here's what I see:
With the other clips I see a device with rounds, and the device aids in inserting the rounds into the weapon, leaving the device behind.
With all their other examples of magazines I see a device with rounds which enters the weapon, and later pops back out.
The Garand's operation obviously fits into the second category. Does it not qualify as a magazine because it doesn't wrap all the way around the rounds? That seems awfully arbitrary. Is the magazine some third area inside the gun between the clip and the chamber where the rounds hang out for a while? It looks to me as though the rounds are going straight from the clip to the chamber. After going through one round he ejects the clip and they're all still in there, they haven't been transferred into some other storage area inside the weapon. I'm guessing it's some kind of fundamental difference in the interior workings of the weapon, but I'm not seeing it.

edit: TheOneRonin: Yeah, I saw that, but now I'm probably just going to avoid the whole argument and not use the term at all. I just won't try to correct other people on it, since it does sound like it's on the border of being redefined.
Moon-Hawk
Can you put multiple rounds into the M1 Garand's magazine (not directly into the chamber) without using the clip at all? Is that the difference, that it's optional?
Lindt
Well I feel as thought I have had my moment of education for the day.

Clips feed magazines.
Austere Emancipator
I'm not sure I'm the right man for this job since I'm not a native English speaker and thus cannot prescribe the use of that language, but I'll try...
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
With the other clips I see a device with rounds, and the device aids in inserting the rounds into the weapon, leaving the device behind.

That's a specific kind of clip, a stripper clip.That the object itself never enters the magazine and is not in contact with the weapon when it fires are not part of the definition of a clip. The Garand clip belongs to the sub-group of en bloc clips, which are directly inserted into the magazine of the weapon.

As far as I know, a magazine does not have to fully enclose the rounds -- that was just a comment on your use of the word "box" to describe the Garand clip.

A magazine in this context is a separate device or integral part of the weapon which holds the cartridges prior to them being fired and from which they are directly fed into the chamber. For the M1 Garand rifle, this is the depression undernearth the bolt. The only difference to the internal magazine of other rifles of the era which were fed with stripper clips is that the clip holding the cartridges together goes into the magazine as well. This doesn't change the terminology (other than "stripper clip" vs. "en bloc clip", obviously).

I actually have no idea whether the weapon would feed correctly if you inserted separate cartridges into the magazine without a clip, but you definitely can put the separate cartridges there.

Another kind of clip which might make this clearer is the moon/half-moon clip for revolvers. It, too, is inserted into the weapon with the cartridges and is only ejected when the cases themselves are ejected -- but the moon clip is clearly not a magazine, or a cylinder, or part of the chamber. It is, just like the definition of a clip goes, a device for holding the cartridges together.
Moon-Hawk
So a revolver's speed-loader is like a stripper clip because they don't stay attached, and a revolver's moon clip is like an en bloc clip, because they both stay in the weapon. I'm starting to see the difference, but I'm not all the way there.

But again, it looks like a magazine is necessary and a clip is optional. Those stripper clips and moon clips and all sure make loading the weapon faster/easier, but it can obviously be done without one.
Is the en bloc clip in the M1 optional as well?
Kagetenshi
A magazine isn't necessary, unless I misunderstand the term—think break-action shotguns, where the round is inserted directly into the breech.

~J
Austere Emancipator
I assume the clip is necessary for reliably feeding rounds from the magazine to the chamber, in a rather similar way as a moon clip is necessary for the proper operation of a S&W Model 625. But the magazine is still the internal box magazine of the weapon, a storage inside the weapon from which the cartridges are fed into the chamber, and the clip is still just a device for holding them together. It's just that here the holding together of the cartridges by the clip is necessary for the operation of the weapon.

Kagetenshi is right that by no means is a magazine necessary for firearms in general. Lots of firearms do not have magazines of any kind, and most that have a removable magazine can still be fired (once) without having a magazine attached by feeding the round manually into the chamber. The internal magazine of an M1 Garand rifle, however, cannot be separated from the action of the weapon by any means I'm aware of apart from actually cutting it off.
Herald of Verjigorm
While not an expert, I did a (very) little research into the terms and the only concrete rule I could infer would be that clips hold ammo while magazines direct ammo to the chamber.
If taken without other restrictions, this would mean that all forms of removable magazine and ammo belt are kinds of clips, and the nomenclature nazis can't allow that, so there must be some other factor in the naming.

I also found this, but as with most, it seems to just loudly declare "it's the wrong term" and then show very little convincing reason why the term is not applicable in the counter-example.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Kagetenshi is right that by no means is a magazine necessary for firearms in general. Lots of firearms do not have magazines of any kind, and most that have a removable magazine can still be fired (once) without having a magazine attached by feeding the round manually into the chamber. The internal magazine of an M1 Garand rifle, however, cannot be separated from the action of the weapon by any means I'm aware of apart from actually cutting it off.

Right, right. I understand that part. I was saying that when a weapon does have a magazine, you have to use it. As in, you can't cram rounds into the handle of a pistol without putting them in the magazine, but with the stripper clips you can use them or not. (Yes, I also understand that you can load them directly into the chamber, one at a time, but that's not what I was referring to) As opposed to the stripper clips, which you can use to load the magazine if you want to, but by no means do you have to use one. That's the point I was trying to make.
But I guess that's not really the distinction anyway, so it doesn't matter anyway.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
If taken without other restrictions, this would mean that all forms of removable magazine and ammo belt are kinds of clips, and the nomenclature nazis can't allow that, so there must be some other factor in the naming.

Well, no, at least not as far as removable box magazines are concerned: those have a spring and a follower (or some other device with the same function) that push the cartridges to position such that the bolt can catch them and drive them into the chamber. A clip doesn't do this, all it does is sit there with the cartridges attached to it. In this way, removable box magazines would indeed be magazines and not clips according to the "concrete rule" you suggested.

A belt, though, could in a way be called a "kind of clip". Its function in a belt fed automatic firearm could be said to be largely analogous with the function of, say, an en bloc clip: it holds the cartridges together allowing speedy loading, the firearm manipulates the belt such that fresh cartridges are constantly ready to be engaged by the bolt (ie. the belt itself just sits there doing nothing but holding on to the cartridges), and the belt stays attached to the weapon throughout the firing process.

[Edit]All this confusion about the terms is difficult for me to understand since I see them as being so clearly separate. I just can't put my reasoning into words. Guess we'll have to wait for Raygun for real clarity.

But consider, for example, a removable box magazine for an M16A2. It is a container of ammunition which presents cartridges to the bolt to feed into the chamber, and a necessary component for the weapon to cycle properly. No one who knows the correct terms would call it a "clip" except perhaps to provoke a reaction.

Now consider an identical device, with the one difference that it is designed to allow and indeed require the cartridges to be inserted into it in the form of an en bloc clip -- the design is slightly altered so that the magazine only functions properly when the cartridges are attached to the clip.

For all intents and purposes the magazine is still the container of the cartridges and still presents the cartridges to the feedway. The clip is still only a device that holds the cartridges together allowing them to be inserted into the magazine, it just happens to sit inside the magazine while the weapon cycles. The magazine is still a magazine and the clip is still just a clip, even though the clip is now required for the operation. It's just become an en bloc clip instead of a stripper clip.[/Edit]
Moon-Hawk

Well, no, at least not as far as removable box magazines are concerned: those have a spring and a follower (or some other device with the same function) that push the cartridges to position such that the bolt can catch them and drive them into the chamber. A clip doesn't do this, all it does is sit there with the cartridges attached to it. In this way, removable box magazines would indeed be magazines and not clips according to the "concrete rule" you suggested.

So the difference is the spring and follower?
Austere Emancipator
If you went purely by the rule put forward by Herald of Verjigorm, yes. smile.gif

That doesn't seem right for me because intuitively I would say the difference is much greater than that: the magazine is the container holding the cartridges and from which the cartridges are fed into the chamber, while the clip is just a device used to hold the cartridges together as they're loaded into the magazine.
Moon-Hawk
the magazine is the container holding the cartridges and from which the cartridges are fed into the chamber

That's the difference as I have always understood it as well.
Now apply that to the M1 Garand. I see the "clip" holding the cartridges and from which the cartridges are fed into the chamber. If there is an intermediate "magazine" stage in between the clip and the chamber, I can't see it in that video, since even after the weapon has been cycled once all the other cartridges are still residing in that clip with one in the chamber, I don't see any cartridges in any 3rd location.
Do you see why I'm confused?
Herald of Verjigorm
the magazine is the container holding the cartridges and from which the cartridges are fed into the chamber, while the clip is just a device used to hold the cartridges together as they're loaded into the magazine.

So a magazine loads the ammo and a clip just holds ammo together? I thought that was what I tried to say earlier. Or is there a difference that clips must load into a magazine?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I see the "clip" holding the cartridges and from which the cartridges are fed into the chamber.

The en bloc clip is inside the magazine, so looking from the outside it is more intuitive (for me) to say that the magazine is the container in which the cartridges are held. The spring and follower of the magazine push the cartridges up to the feedway so the bolt can drive them into the chamber. The clip just holds the cartridges together, outside or inside the magazine.

There is no third location or intermediate stage. The magazine is the space into which the en bloc clip, and therefore the cartridges, are inserted. It is the container in which the cartridges and the clip are held. It is the device which presents the cartridges into the feedway.

And no, I don't see why you're confused. smile.gif

Or is there a difference that clips must load into a magazine?

In the case of stripper or en bloc clips, yes, that is exactly what they do. Revolvers don't have magazines in the same sense, so this doesn't hold for moon clips -- although their function is directly analogous. I can't recall any other types of clips, so I cannot rule out the possibility that this doesn't hold for all of them.
Herald of Verjigorm
In the case of stripper or en bloc clips, yes, that is exactly what they do. Revolvers don't have magazines in the same sense, so this doesn't hold for moon clips -- although their function is directly analogous.

Ok, clip loads into magazine or cylinder. Magazine loads into chamber, cylinder rotates into firing position.

With that in mind, how do removable magazines fit in? Is it like revolvers with no clip, that the magazine is loaded by hand? One of the places I looked at mentioned removable magazines with built in clips (probably just to complicate the issue).
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I see the "clip" holding the cartridges and from which the cartridges are fed into the chamber.

The en bloc clip is inside the magazine, so looking from the outside it is more intuitive (for me) to say that the magazine is the container in which the cartridges are held. The spring and follower of the magazine push the cartridges up to the feedway so the bolt can drive them into the chamber. The clip just holds the cartridges together, outside or inside the magazine.

Well then what about the pistol? Why couldn't I call the magazine the "clip", and call the hollow space in the handle where the magazine goes, the "magazine", and I would have a situation which appears exactly the same as the M1?
Is the critical difference that the removable magazine of the pistol and the internal magazine of the M1 both perform a mechanic action of feeding a bullet into the chamber, where as the M1's clip does not actively do anything?
Moon-Hawk
Magazine loads into chamber

This is what I'm questioning in my above post. Is it that we should be focusing not on what holds the ammo, but rather what feeds the ammo?
Moon-Hawk
Let me try again:
You say, "That that device is a clip."
I say, "Why?"
You say, "Because it goes in a magazine."
I say, "What's a magazine?"
You say, "A magazine is a thing that holds ammo."
I say, "The clip holds ammo."
You say, "No that's a clip because it goes in a magazine."
And we go around in circles forever.

edit: Now, with punctuation.
Austere Emancipator
With that in mind, how do removable magazines fit in? Is it like revolvers with no clip, that the magazine is loaded by hand?

If you watched the video linked in the OP, it shows inserting cartridges into a removable box magazine both individually by hand and as a group of cartridges from a stripper clip. Any magazine, removable or internal, box or otherwise, into which cartridges can be inserted with a stripper clip can also have cartridges inserted one by one by hand without a clip.

Or were you asking about something else?
Herald of Verjigorm
Or were you asking about something else?

Only if removable magazines have a use for a clip beyond it being a quicker way to load the magazine.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Is the critical difference that the removable magazine of the pistol and the internal magazine of the M1 both perform a mechanic action of feeding a bullet into the chamber, where as the M1's clip does not actively do anything?

Quite possibly. Certainly that difference in function clearly separates the relation between a removable magazine and a magazine from that between a magazine and an en bloc clip.

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
You say no that's a clip because it goes in a magazine.

I guess I'm wasting my time if that's all I'm saying... but even if it is, wouldn't that quite clearly separate clips from magazines if clips always go into magazines (or, in one special case, cylinders) or assist in filling them, but magazines never go into clips or assist in filling them?

Only if removable magazines have a use for a clip beyond it being a quicker way to load the magazine.

None that I'm aware of.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Wikipedia: Magazine (firearms))
A magazine ... is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a firearm.

emphasis mine.
So the M1's clip is a clip because it doesn't feed the ammunition, it just stores it. The internal magazine of the M1 also stores the ammo and the clip, but has the feeding mechanism so that's what makes it a magazine.

Is that the difference? Why didn't you say so?
Austere Emancipator
Because I'm stupid?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
You say no that's a clip because it goes in a magazine.

I guess I'm wasting my time if that's all I'm saying... but even if it is, wouldn't that quite clearly separate clips from magazines if clips always go into magazines (or, in one special case, cylinders) or assist in filling them, but magazines never go into clips or assist in filling them?

No, because a clip can still be confused with a magazine if a magazine can be confused with a magazine receptacle.
Anyway, I think I've got it sorted now. It's not so much about storage as it is about feeding.
Moon-Hawk
Because I'm stupid?

More likely because the question was so stupid you couldn't figure out how to explain such a basic concept.
That, and like you said, we have a bit of a language barrier.

Anyway, I promise I wasn't being deliberately obtuse, and I think I've got it all figured out now. Thank you! Sorry I was so frustrating.
Austere Emancipator
No worries. At least I'll be better equipped to answer the same questions in the future. smile.gif
Moon-Hawk
Yeah, I really thought I had the difference down before I read this thread, but then that dang en bloc clip came along and ruined my definition. I was totally focused on the storage and the inside/outside aspects, and my rule still gave the correct answer for every other case.
So after this thread, considering the feeding aspect, I totally understand the difference between an M1 who's magazine contains a clip containing ammo, vs a semi-auto pistol who's magazine receptacle (correct term?) holds a magazine containing ammo.

edited for clarity
X-Kalibur
I've got a better idea... new hobbies all around! Let's see... Moon-Hawk gets model planes, and Austere gets... hmmm... Platypi. Have fun!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012