Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A survey
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
a_jediknight
Dear Members, I would like your help, i need marketing information for my project. To be able to get possible sponsorship and the like. Please take 5 minutes of your time to complete the survey. many thanks.
Survey link: http://awakenedmmo.org/survey.php

Awakened is an Open Source project to create a Shadowrun MMO. Unlike other projects like this, we have license from the ineractive rights owner for Shadowrun (microsoft) to produce the game.
http:\\www.AwakenedMMO.org

Feel free to ask me any questions or make comments. We want to hear from you all. And, as with any Opensource project, we are always seeking talented team members. 3D artists are currently the premium! Coders are always welcome, but we have a crack team of skilled hackers. Artists with Shadowrun experience are a rare breed indeed!
Kagetenshi
Mein Gott, holy total absence of commit messages Batman! I suggest better habit-building immediately, so that it doesn't become a problem in the future.

~J
MYST1C
QUOTE (a_jediknight)
Feel free to ask me any questions or make comments. We want to hear from you all.

I took a quick look at the "concept art gallery"...

What's with the elf's ears?! This is SR, elves have "Mr. Spock" ears, not these giant horizontal manga elf ears.

That "dwarf rigger" girl is completely wrong. Dwarfs have way different body proportions (short legs, broad shoulders) - she just looks like a human with strange ears and even stranger hands (oversized and with claws?).
Grinder
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Mein Gott, holy total absence of commit messages Batman!

rotfl.gif

Sweet, "Mein Gott" made it into american speech.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 30 2007, 10:04 PM)
Mein Gott, holy total absence of commit messages Batman!

rotfl.gif

Sweet, "Mein Gott" made it into american speech.

Or he took German in highschool and likes to interject bits of it here and there. I'm lucky I still remember any German nyahnyah.gif
Grinder
That's possible, but it's still strange to read german words in an english forum. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Nah, I was a Latin student in high school. That said, some expressions (like that one) just feel more satisfying to me in German.

~J
X-Kalibur
I'll give you that. Heh, I've been known to use "Ach, mein auge!" from time to time. But only when the goggles do nothing biggrin.gif rotfl.gif
Grinder
rotfl.gif
ShadowDragon
Good luck with your project. PLEASE don't just use the name 'Shadowrun' like the FPS did, while making a completely different game.
Meriss
Sweet! Auch du lieber! Jahwohl!
Grinder
I don't want to become picky, but "Auch du lieber" makes no sense and "Jahwohl" should be "Jawohl". smile.gif
X-Kalibur
Best use of german ever though, was "Ich bin ein berliner". Someone should have told him that a berliner is a type of doughnut.
Grinder
Looking back this might be true, but when Mr. Kennedy said it to the people of Berlin nobody thought about this connection, I'm sure. smile.gif
Straight Razor
Mmm, your art needs a good going over by the SR fan boys, it's a little to WOW for my taste.

And my question for you is how are you going to handle death?

i REALLY recommend looking at a MMO called EVE on-line. I think their spin on getting killed is VERY good. I would like to see your developers play EVE for a bit and see what they can take away from it.

Grinder
Looking at the gallery, I found the dwarf somehow "unfitting" - it looks more like a small, tiny human and not like a dwarf (who have shorter legs and a broader torso). And the cyberarm of the ork is strange - it should begin on the shoulder and not in the middle of the upper arm.
NightmareX
In the magic section, I noted that a full magician's tradition will determine or limit the types of spells he/she can cast. I am not pleased, since that is obviously NOT SR.
Lodestar_77
With the uproar that the MS FPS made I would be very wary. An MMO should really be truer to the IP and canon. The FPS is an unecessary standard FPS in a situtaion where there are so many FPS games we are drowning. Microsofts SR game did a total hatchet job just to create yet another FPS.

Now we have a mass influx of Everquest and World of Warcraftclones with more on their way. Even Lord of the Rings online. I would not think that another game of that kind would go down well unless it was spectacular. And especially iof it broke far too much of the IP and canon. And to be quite honest. WoW and EQ are not the best MMOS in anycase.

Shadowrun with its decades of material over the years offers so much to a fantastic MMORPG that with good development and time taken and innovation could break the mould and become a benchmark in ANY genre but most noteably I think RPGs and MMORPGs. Such a game would be a great hit with MMO players irrespective of how much they know of SR. For one thing SR has alot to offer as a game and the potential is there. The canon works. And for MMO players thats a bonus and for SR fans its even better. For myself Id love it as I cant get to game groups these days and the prospect of turning on my PC and logging in rather than months of legwork for a gaming group would be fantastic. Im sure Im not the only on.

Another serious point I would like to make is that the most important factors in any RPG or MMO is character creation. JUst as it is im PnP RPG games. The reason is obvious. We are playing someone we want to relate to and present a recognisable facade to others. Create concepts and so on. Even if they do end up generic stereotypes they can still end up being unique in some way.

Now to me I have been disapointed in many MMO and RPG vidoe games on character customisation. But I think its even mpre important in an MMO. Not only because you see your character all the time but so do many others all at the same time. WHereas in PnP groups we have an image of a player character between a few other [layers we are dealing with a situation in which we play on servers with numbers far greater than any PnP group. And game devs just fall shprt of this.

I dont beleive many devs actually bother with this and it beats me why. Either they dont truly understand the need to make a player character as individual as a real person or they have low standards. So far the best game for character creation is City of Heroes/Villans but even that can be very basic and limiting. I know some people who play the game just for its options. And yet few games have tried to even equal it let alone exceed it. Too many MMOs out there arwe cookie cutter crap. And often where character abilities are the same we end up with clone toons. WoW and EQ are great examples of this. The upcoming Chronicles of Spellborn looks like one of the few to take it seriousluy and Age of Conan alos is set to be the only game to take it further. All other titles of the genre have simply gone for Cookie cutter (or few options amounting to the same thing) even if they have nice graphics a clone toon is a clone toon.

My advice on this matter is to look at the ioneers of character customisation. Consider that even when player characters may end up being built and developed the same they can at least look diferent. This was at least a comfort in City of Heroes/Villans which for all its nice graphics and rather well customised apperances were clones in powers and abilities.

Body scaling options to allow us to be fat, thin, muscualr or inbeteen along with height and skin colour and age have been used to a lesser extent in the WWE consloe games for years. Age of Conan MMO also uses these very well. Naturally all these options may be too much messing for some people and so an option of taking a generic type and altering slightly or severly would be preferable or leave alone. We can choose this model and maybe change skin tone and select or select each individual part and advanc custom so we can even change lips and eye size, shape and position or whatever.

There are also alot of clothing lines and armour types in the SR universe that could really be used to greart affect. Especially with a good colour scheme and style of wearing. For example armour jackets are common. But while player 1 has a plain black jacket that fits well, player 2 has a baggy red armour jacket with Orange horizontal stripes and a symbol or decal on the back like a gangster with the zip open. And player 3 wears a armour jacket half zipped of the colour blue that is tight fitting. And Player 4 has same as player 1 but in a camoflague pattern of blues.

Thirdly the actual abilities in SR are so very loose and customisable many player characters end up unique just by the canon rules nature. Its what made Shadowrun abov many other more generic PnP games and I said before this can very much be the problem of manyy MMO gamen to the extreme. Again I use WoW and EQ as examples. This is made worse by game instances where only a certain build will do. While it is very hard to allow for such diversity in MMOs due to technology restraints and other logistics I do beleive with time and effort it is possible.

No one expects a Shadowrun MMORPG that is the same as the PnP something will have to give but things should not be cut and simplified too early on. Shadowrun as I have said has all the potential to break the MMO mould and improve on the whole MMO genre as a whole to become a benchmark. But if a good version of a SHadowrun game that is not part as good as expectaions it would better not be made at all. For a game with great potential receives stronger criticsm than one that is unknown. And Shadowrun is a great IP that has a great following. To try make a quick turnout on this game would be a disater on so may levels.

Anyway I have waffled at you good people enough. Just take things into consdieration.
knasser

He's just lucky he didn't say Arsenal was out. *mumble mumble*
Wounded Ronin
Here's the forum for that project if anyone wants to post comments there: http://awakenedmmo.org/forums/
Pyritefoolsgold
Use the SNES game as inspiration. It wasn't absolutely true to the mechanics and setting, but it was quite close enough to be respectable.
Ravor
Except of course for the fact that you could be a Fully Cybered Sammy/Decker/Shaman and could only learn spells after finding various regents for them...

Naw, if they want to look at the existing games, then look at the SEGA version for the mechanics and only at the SNES version for the 'feel'.
Blade
QUOTE (Lodestar_77 @ Apr 1 2007, 07:12 PM)
Such a game would be a great hit with MMO players irrespective of how much they know of SR.

I totally disagree with this.
MMORPG aren't RPG (at least, not what I'd call RPG), they're a more complicated and more expensive version of "My dad is stronger than your dad." or "my dick is bigger than yours".

As you said yourself, WoW isn't the best MMORPG... But it's by far the most successful. Why ? First because of the IP, and also because it's just mindless levelling.

What Kevin, 13, and Fat Bob, 35, want in their MMORPG is to become the best. (for different psychological reasons). Why else would people sell or buy high-level characters at such high prices. Why else would people describe their character as a {race}, {level} {class} with a {weapon} and a {armor} ?

A SR MMORPG that truely has a Shadowrun feel (both in rules and fluff) would have a slow character progression and a bigger emphasis on death which is incompatible with the aforementioned expectations.
ThatPaolo
QUOTE (a_jediknight)
Unlike other projects like this, we have license from the ineractive rights owner for Shadowrun (microsoft) to produce the game.

Then why there is...

"WizKids LLC and Microsoft Corp. do not endorse, and are not affiliated with this project in any official capacity whatsoever"

...at the bottom?
Blade
Because they just "tolerate" it. They aren't affiliated with it. If Awakened turns out to be a totally illegal product, WizKids LLC and Microsoft Corp. won't be responsible of anything.

Just like in here on Dumpshock : Wizkids allow us to talk about Shadowrun, to use Shadowrun's names, logo, artwork and so on on Dumpshock, but nothing that's said here is WizKids' words and nobody can sue Wizkids for something that has been said or done on this forum.
jrpigman
Some recommendations:

1) Make sure your game is interface moddable. I don't really need to change maps, but I like having control over my interface in an MMO.

2) Character models should not be class oriented. I noticed in your charcter art that your rigger looks "rigger-y" and your mage looks "mage-y." Your gear should determine how you look, not your class. I know plenty of players who specifically make their charcter look like another archetype to confuse first response - most notably, a good mage shouldn't really look like a mage unless he wants to get geeked first.

3) How real time will this be? I like human reaction time being an issue, but not so much that your quickness and reflex enhancers mean nothing. In a lot of cases, the people that shoot first win, and that should be based on the speed of the character, not the player, if it is going to actually represent the RPG.

4) Like Lodestar said, Character Creation is a huge deal. Obviously, you couldn't make skills as customizable or open ended as is possible on paper, but be aware that there are more or less an infinite amount of charcters available in Shadowrun, and X number of classes with Y number of possible builds just won't cut it. What if I want to play an awakened rigger? I think NSRCG does a great job of making most everything availble in an easy to use digital format. Check that out if you haven't.

5) How MMO are we talking here? 3000 people on a server? Or like DOTA, where you have maps (runs?) people can take with 1 - 30ish people? Can you play Lonestar? Etc.
Lindt
Which is made even more entertaining, due to several people here being on the Wiz kids payroll (alabit indirectly) at points in time.
Adam
QUOTE (Lindt)
Which is made even more entertaining, due to several people here being on the Wiz kids payroll (alabit indirectly) at points in time.

How is someone "indirectly" on WizKids' payroll?
Kagetenshi
Bribery? Marriage to someone who works for them and not having a job oneself? Theft?

~J
Lodestar_77
QUOTE (Blade)
Such a game would be a great hit with MMO players irrespective of how much they know of SR.

MMORPG aren't RPG (at least, not what I'd call RPG), they're a more complicated and more expensive version of "My dad is stronger than your dad." or "my dick is bigger than yours".

As you said yourself, WoW isn't the best MMORPG... But it's by far the most successful. Why ? First because of the IP, and also because it's just mindless levelling.

What Kevin, 13, and Fat Bob, 35, want in their MMORPG is to become the best. (for different psychological reasons). Why else would people sell or buy high-level characters at such high prices. Why else would people describe their character as a {race}, {level} {class} with a {weapon} and a {armor} ?

A SR MMORPG that truely has a Shadowrun feel (both in rules and fluff) would have a slow character progression and a bigger emphasis on death which is incompatible with the aforementioned expectations.

Then I would suggest you go deeper into this because while WoW is the most successful it does draw that kind of crowd not everyone wants MMORPGs to be this way. Hell I played PnP games with players trying for this bigger than thou aim. But that isnt to say all PnP players want this. I know personally many players who are waiting for the MMORPG game to become more RPG and have more involving gaming. Hence I said with time it could be mould breaking.

Then I would suggest you go deeper into this because while WoW is the most successful it does draw that kind of crowd not everyone wants MMORPGs to be this way. Hell I played PnP games with players trying for this bigger than thou aim. But that isnt to say all PnP players want this. I know personally many players who are waiting for the MMORPG game to become more RPG and have more involving gaming. Hence I said with time it could be mould breaking.
Lodestar_77
QUOTE (jrpigman)
Some recommendations:

1) Make sure your game is interface moddable. I don't really need to change maps, but I like having control over my interface in an MMO.

2) Character models should not be class oriented. I noticed in your charcter art that your rigger looks "rigger-y" and your mage looks "mage-y." Your gear should determine how you look, not your class. I know plenty of players who specifically make their charcter look like another archetype to confuse first response - most notably, a good mage shouldn't really look like a mage unless he wants to get geeked first.

3) How real time will this be? I like human reaction time being an issue, but not so much that your quickness and reflex enhancers mean nothing. In a lot of cases, the people that shoot first win, and that should be based on the speed of the character, not the player, if it is going to actually represent the RPG.

4) Like Lodestar said, Character Creation is a huge deal. Obviously, you couldn't make skills as customizable or open ended as is possible on paper, but be aware that there are more or less an infinite amount of charcters available in Shadowrun, and X number of classes with Y number of possible builds just won't cut it. What if I want to play an awakened rigger? I think NSRCG does a great job of making most everything availble in an easy to use digital format. Check that out if you haven't.

5) How MMO are we talking here? 3000 people on a server? Or like DOTA, where you have maps (runs?) people can take with 1 - 30ish people? Can you play Lonestar? Etc.

Absoloutley. I just didnt wish to jump in and say this out loud since the pics we have are early concept art and its early days to presume anything. But I certainly would not like Shadowrun the WoW clone with character creation meaning you get a male and female type of each class in each race and thats it. And I feel that looking at those drawings that is the path you are taking.

Some great MMORPGs coming and to be in with a chance you will have to offer something special. Even some of the MMORPGs out late this year that look great have made me sigh with the usual class restraints. Worse still when you HAVE to look like someones art concept of what one should be. As with the PnP we dearly all love taking magic should cost you and have pros and cons but tyoe casting has not been forced on it and that aspect should stay.
Tanka
QUOTE (Lodestar_77)
QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 2 2007, 12:11 AM)

If you hadn't noticed, the most popular MMOs are the ones that have a defined way to say "I'm better than you".

Could a purely RPG MMO come out and succeed? Sure. Could one come out and continue for a long period of time? That remains to be seen.
Kagetenshi
Apparently it can, as Second Life demonstrates, but I'm not sure that's exactly an indicator of success for this project.

~J
Tanka
The biggest reasons Second Life succeeds is the modability of it, and that you can make a living creating things for it.
Blade
QUOTE (Tanka)
Could a purely RPG MMO come out and succeed? Sure. Could one come out and continue for a long period of time? That remains to be seen.

Exactly my point. This kind of game would appeal to roleplayers... And the PnP market shows that this is a really small market. This is why you don't see any real MMORPG but MMODiablo.

Sure enough, if you publish a truely RPG, you'll be the only one on the market and you'll draw the PnP crowd. But you won't take any advantages from that: the targeted audience is far much smaller and I doubt they'll accept to pay much more than for the other games out there... What's the point of reducing your scope if you don't get anything from it ?

Once again, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a story/RP focused MMORPG. I've already given it some thoughts and ended up with an interesting concept (which I can explain to you if anyone's interested) but I doubt I'll see something like that in the near future.
Lodestar_77
That is why I think time should be taken in creating such a venture. Technology may have to catch up and time must be taken to focus. Not rushed. The world doesnt need another WoW or EQ clone unless its a vast improvemnt on it. That is even less likely. And I wouldnt touch another WoW clone even if it bore SR name or concept.
Tanka
The problem with trying to make an MMORPG, with a focus on the RPG, is that you'll have this:

"My GM makes better adventures."
"I want such-and-such and my GM would let me."
"It's not how I imagined it in my head around a table."
"It's all too limiting!"

Unless you have a way to work things on the fly, and make it look good, having an RPG-focused MMO is going to fail. Period. There will be inconsistencies. There will be mistakes. There will be discrepancies. There will be outright differences of opinion. There will be differences in thoughts on rulings.

It can work, but it'll take far, far more than anything our very limited technology can produce.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Tanka)
It can work, but it'll take far, far more than anything our very limited technology can produce.

It'll take Deus.
Tanka
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (Tanka @ Apr 4 2007, 05:26 PM)

It'll take Deus.

You mean Deus will take you. wink.gif
2bit
Jeez. . .

The inherent problem with MMORPG's not being "RPG" enough is the fact that they're Massively Multiplayer.
Step 1 is removing the persistent world factor. You can't tell the story of 1 character, your character, in a world that has to service the story of thousands and thousands of characters. If the world changes, it has to change for *everybody*, at which point you're telling the story of armies - see ryzom, wow, warhammer, etc. - and your game ceases to be RPG enough.

The kind of game you want will never work for Shadowrun either, because in SR the ENTIRE FREAKING KNOWLEDGE BASE OF MANKIND IS AT YOUR FINGERTIPS and it's really hard to code that believably.

heck I find it hard enough to deal with in a regular PnP setting . . .
2bit
HOWEVER. . .

Shadowrun would make a good MMO. . . it's mission based, features mostly well defined archetypes, has an interesting premise, and a wide array of bad guys. But everyone knows this already. I'll stop preaching to the choir.
Blade
QUOTE (2bit)
You can't tell the story of 1 character, your character, in a world that has to service the story of thousands and thousands of characters. If the world changes, it has to change for *everybody*, at which point you're telling the story of armies - see ryzom, wow, warhammer, etc. - and your game ceases to be RPG enough.

That's what I was thinking about and I think it's possible to tell a story for each character.
For example, part of your character creation is question-based, to determine the character's backstory. Where is he born, what did he do when he was young and so on... until now. Hopefully this should lead to two things :

1) The player has created a character with a story, a personality and so on rather than just a bunch of numbers with a cool haircut.
2) The character has some kind of story and a goal.

These are used to generate the character's personal quest. This can lead to the creation of new NPC or new event for this character but it can also use some NPC, places and event already existing and included in the story of others PC.

To make sure that the player will be able to play his story and share it with the other PC, it could be a good idea to check his gaming habits (when does he play, how many hours per week...) and have him play with people with the same habits.

For example, in a Shadowrun setting, you create your character. He's an ork from the Barrens who found a work as an illegal wageslave for a corp, succeeded through hard work, got a corporate SIN and a better job and was quite happy until the building where his "family" was was blown up by the corp (for some reasons)... So the character quit his job, threw away his SIN and decided to make the corp (and especially the guy who had the building blown up) pay.

So the player will start by doing some simple runs to get to know how things work in the Shadows, will find a team and some partners and so on... and may start looking for people to help him. Maybe some of the other players will want the same guy dead for their own reasons, maybe one of them was the one who planted the explosives that blew up the building (during one of his runs before the player registered) and so on. None of it will require a GM to do anything special (ok, it might need some work to get such a system to work, but I think we've got what we need to do that)

If you have such stories going on everywhere, you'll have a lively world where everyone has his agenda, where things change all the time (and not just because of some scripted special event) and where you don't have everyone doing the exact same run for the exact same guy...
2bit
1) The player has created a character with a story, a personality and so on rather than just a bunch of numbers with a cool haircut.
2) The character has some kind of story and a goal.

A backstory has never been the thing holding players back from making their characters more than numbers. It's the other players and the interaction with NPCs. Roleplaying is only as good as the weakest link. You can't count on ten thousand random gamers, and you can't portray believable NPCs with canned responses.

I want them to take an MMO style world, and make it playable LAN-style.
Small groups of people, each running a by-invite-only instance of the world, with powerful, easy-to-use world editing tools put in the hands of one man, the GM.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (2bit)
you can't portray believable NPCs with canned responses.

Never worked retail?

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (2bit @ Apr 5 2007, 02:34 PM)
you can't portray believable NPCs with canned responses.

Never worked retail?

~J

It's funny because it's true.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Tanka)
If you hadn't noticed, the most popular games are the ones that have a defined way to say "I'm better than you".

I fixed your statement for you.

There are very few games that aren't based around a model of beating something/someone.

To imply that is any way unique to MMOs is just showing that you have issues with MMOs.

I mean, for god's sake, Space Invaders was you showing you were better than the aliens, and that you could get a higher score than the guy next to you!
a_jediknight
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Good luck with your project. PLEASE don't just use the name 'Shadowrun' like the FPS did, while making a completely different game.

This is not our intent. This is to be a fully acurate Shadowrun MMO. We are actually referring to the Sitch World Wiki for accuracy a lot.
a_jediknight
QUOTE (Straight Razor)
Mmm, your art needs a good going over by the SR fan boys, it's a little to WOW for my taste.

And my question for you is how are you going to handle death?

i REALLY recommend looking at a MMO called EVE on-line. I think their spin on getting killed is VERY good. I would like to see your developers play EVE for a bit and see what they can take away from it.

Death is a hot issue with the dev team. We all agree that death is permanent. As for implimentation, therein lies the rub.
a_jediknight
QUOTE (ThatPaolo)
QUOTE (a_jediknight @ Mar 30 2007, 01:34 PM)
Unlike other projects like this, we have license from the ineractive rights owner for Shadowrun (microsoft) to produce the game.

Then why there is...

"WizKids LLC and Microsoft Corp. do not endorse, and are not affiliated with this project in any official capacity whatsoever"

...at the bottom?

Because they requested that. Permission to make the game does not mean they are involved with the game.
a_jediknight
QUOTE (Lodestar_77)
QUOTE (jrpigman @ Apr 2 2007, 10:07 AM)
Some recommendations:

2) Character models should not be class oriented. I noticed in your charcter art that your rigger looks "rigger-y" and your mage looks "mage-y."  Your gear should determine how you look, not your class.  I know plenty of players who specifically make their charcter look like another archetype to confuse first response - most notably, a good mage shouldn't really look like a mage unless he wants to get geeked first.

Absoloutley. I just didnt wish to jump in and say this out loud since the pics we have are early concept art and its early days to presume anything. But I certainly would not like Shadowrun the WoW clone with character creation meaning you get a male and female type of each class in each race and thats it. And I feel that looking at those drawings that is the path you are taking.

Some great MMORPGs coming and to be in with a chance you will have to offer something special. Even some of the MMORPGs out late this year that look great have made me sigh with the usual class restraints. Worse still when you HAVE to look like someones art concept of what one should be. As with the PnP we dearly all love taking magic should cost you and have pros and cons but tyoe casting has not been forced on it and that aspect should stay.

These questions raise a good point: our artists, while talented, heve never played Shadowrun. Comments like this guide them, and any of you here who are artists, and so inclined, would be quite a welcome addition to the team....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012