Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun and Open Source
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
TBRMInsanity
Open Source comes from the computer world. It is a way of licencing software so that others can come along and change the software to meet their needs. A lot of Open Source software is given away for free but that is not always the case. Some business like Red Hat have become rich using the Open Source business structure. This structure could be applied to other business including publishing companies like Wizkids. What it would mean is the SR community would be given access to the development stage of new products, and they would be able to submit changes to the new product before it is published. These submitters would be 100% volunteer and WizKids would still retain veto rights on how the SR universe would play out. In the end WizKids R&D costs would go down but there would be new product leaks on every product they have. Also people would be free to modify and re-publish any released book, as the material printed would be the legal property of the SR community (ie anyone reading the material).
odinson
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
Also people would be free to modify and re-publish any released book, as the material printed would be the legal property of the SR community (ie anyone reading the material).

Then the SR publishers lose the creative control of the SR world as people can reprint books and change the story in them.

There would also be the issue of other companies making cheap versions of the SR books and selling them to cut into FanPro's SR profits making the game not worth publishing and forcing us to play crappy games based on 20 sided dice.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (odinson)

There would also be the issue of other companies making cheap versions of the SR books and selling them to cut into FanPro's SR profits making the game not worth publishing and forcing us to play crappy games based on 20 sided dice.

This is a very valid point and one of the major draw backs of an open source move. But if we do look at the other game system in question, you will notice that the penny and dime books are considered inferior to the main stream books that are published. I think that SR players (the true ones) will always buy WizKids books (I know I would).
Wasabi
Open source: Good for apps, bad for p&p games.
knasser
Posting this from my housemate's Linux box using an Open Source browser, I can say that I voted a definite 'No.'

FanPro are doing an excellent job in terms of quality. You can consider their model to be open source if you like as any of us can submit a proposal for material and potentially get published. In Open Source terms, FanPro would then be in the position of maintaining the main tree of the project, ensuring only bug-free additions with functionality that is actually desired are added. And that's a good thing.

Whilst I personally would like to write and potentially sell some adventure modules for the game, which I'm told FanPro aren't interested in doing at the moment, I think the model as it is, is good. The sole problem seems to be allocating resource to producing the product, but that's not a problem with the model itself.

So long as they don't come round and threaten me with lawyers for all the Shadowrun material that I have put on my site (and it would be self-harming to do so), then I'm happy with the current situation.
Rotbart van Dainig
There is no real point in asking for 'Open Source', as the rules are already open.

What you mean is a free licence.
Baphomet69
While FanPro's release schedule has admittedly been pretty slow thus far, the quality of the product they have released has been fantastic. I whole-heartedly stand behind them (drooling for more...).

I think the best thing we could all do as a community is draw as many more people in to the world of Shadowrun as possible. If we increase FanPro's sales of their current offerings, they'll be able to hire more folks for the editing and such, thus increasing their turn-around time on new releases. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it... biggrin.gif
lorechaser
I too am a huge supporter of open source software. And much as I might get cancer for saying it, I think WoTC has the best model of Open Source RPGs, if you want to try that.

But I don't see any reason to apply Open Source to SR. SR is doing fine. It has good support. As Knasser said, anyone can submit for it, and get something contracted.

What would there be to gain? You suggest that Wizkids R&D costs would drop, but that implies that Wizkids would stop producing, and just become a publisher. That's not what I want - if I wanted a group developed game, I have plenty of options. I want a game that is made by people I trust, playtested, kept consistent, and managed.

Dayhawk
While open sourcing has created a fast amount of d20 material. I feel that game balance and quality was ruined.

Its very hard to manage adding new material without making the older material obsolite. But when you have everyone trying to make a buck, you get some of the worst rules, balance issues, and material.

But as a company is it is hard to deny that open source has allowed Wizards of the... wait sorry. Hasboro to make a ton of cash.

Personally I don't want to see WK's do the same thing, but if it came to a choice of open source vs shadow run dying out....
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 14 2007, 03:00 PM)
You can consider their model to be open source if you like as any of us can submit a proposal for material and potentially get published.

While I agree with most of your point, your attempt to define the process as "open source" is nonsensical. To be "open source", the manuscripts would have to be distributed in editable form, whatever they're using—compare distributing a TeX-format document to distributing a PDF generated from that format.

It should be added that while it's never been tested in court, and I am not a copyright lawyer (this is not legal advice), the idea that game mechanics are protected by copyright is seriously questionable. Thus, while you might have to pony up for a lawyer to demonstrate it, you already have access to the non-fluff part of the game for free reuse (though not, obviously, the currently-existing description of it).

Anyway, Shadowrun already has a fork. Make another if you want.

~J
Ravor
Well considering that I hate 99.999% of the crap I've seen put out under DnD's OGL, I'm sure that you can guess how I voted... cyber.gif
tisoz
I did not see Ain't gonna happen with FanPro's fetish for secrecy.
ShadowDragon
I'd like to see something along the lines of DnD's SRD. Keep the basics and a limited amount of detail free, but leave some closed so there's a reason to buy the product beyond altruism for the Wizkids.
ludomastro
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if WK has any intention provide a license (pay or free) to develop other games based on the existing rules. While I agree with Kagetenshi on the issue of game mechanics not being protected by copyright, I don't have the money needed to fight a corporation in court - even one of the, relatively speaking, small size as SK or Fanpro. Any help would be appreciated.
knasser
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 14 2007, 03:00 PM)
You can consider their model to be open source if you like as any of us can submit a proposal for material and potentially get published.

While I agree with most of your point, your attempt to define the process as "open source" is nonsensical. To be "open source", the manuscripts would have to be distributed in editable form, whatever they're using—compare distributing a TeX-format document to distributing a PDF generated from that format.

The relevant part of Open Source as far as the original poster was concerned, seemed to be the way anyone could contribute. I pointed out that you could consider SR4 to be open source in that any can submit content. I have a lot of content on my site for example. The comparison to open source software as I understand it (I am not a programmer) is that FanPro maintain the main project tree and to make it into the official build it has to pass their quality control (i.e. they accept it).

If you're talking about being able to edit and re-publish FanPro's own work, then no, the model breaks down, but I don't think this is what the original poster intended. Hence my comment that you could "consider" it open source, the implied qualifier being "for your purposes relevant to this discussion."
Catharz Godfoot
I doubt FanPro is going to prosecute anyone for making free fan material, and you can see every letter of every book they publish. Sometimes fans even have a say in the contents of an official book. That's basically open source already.

But any truely open version of SR should probably be reverse-engineered using a clean slate or other open system (not D&D20!).
nezumi
I like how "open source" it is now. We can make our own equipment, feats and adventures and add them, even modifying the entire system (SR3R), but we have no impact on the world that is Shadowrun (well, not without Fan Pro's seal of approval). I would consider that somewhat open source. I do wish Fan Pro made more space on their site for fan initiatives though, since I find oftentimes the things we make here are excellent additions.
the_dunner
QUOTE (nezumi)
I do wish Fan Pro made more space on their site for fan initiatives though, since I find oftentimes the things we make here are excellent additions.

Don't neglect the fact that Missions is entirely fan driven. If you've got ideas for NPCs, scnearios, and other content that you'd like to see included in the game world, that's the place to do it.
Kyoto Kid
..I followed the majority on this as well. I agree, the few things that FanPro has produced so far are of much better quality both content and from a physical standpoint (and I'm rough on game rule books).

My only disappointment, and yeah it is a fluff one, is with the the artwork in the Core Book. I look at that "other game's" books and see a lot of really terrific art. Much of the art in the SR4 Core rules looks way too rushed and unfinished. Too bad Squinky hadn't established himself earlier, his work in SRM and on his Character Drawings thread is is far superior to a good portion of the art in the Core rules. Meanwhile, the art in Runner Havens and Street Magic is definitely higher quality. Too bad when they did the reprint of the Core Book they didn't revise the interior art. I for one would purchase a new version of the book if it had better art.

Anyway, back to the topic.

When I go to my FLGS I notice tonnes of stuff for D&D & D20 in general. They have even taken to converting several of my other favourite systems over (Cthulu should feast on their mortal souls for that). I also agree, a lot of the stuff outside WoC's primary line is fairly mediocre.

Yes the wait is a bit annoying, but I too know what FanPro is dealing with. I am afraid that with open sourcing we could end up with the "too many cooks in the kitchen" syndrome so to say. Everyone has their own idea of what they want the SR world to be like, Heck I most certainly have my own ideas. However I choose to keep them within the scope of the campaigns I run. I have done things that are no where near 100% true to canon as I am sure just about everyone who has GMed has. Heck I considered incinerating Royal Hill in the TT from space back in '56 and currently (2061) have a decade long conflict underway in the Balkans that could threaten to escalate into a major regional War.

Would these events mess with the established timeline? Most certainly, which is why they would and should never see the light of day in the accepted SR canon. Imagine if the TT government fell 7 years earlier, what kind of repercussions that would have. What if say, the New Soviet became involved in the Balkan situation, what could that mean for the rest of the NEEC?

This is why I like things the way they are, For Joe or Jane GM over there doesn't need to be concerned about what I have done over here, and vice versa. The rules are a framework, the world presented just one possible setting. How many times to I come across threads that talk about setting an SR campaign in other time periods. The last thing I would like to see at my FLGS is Shadowrun: The Roaring 20s or Shadowrun: 1950 when I am still waiting for Arsenal and Augmented to come out.
Mistwalker
I too voted no.

I like the quality of the work that has been done so far, and like most, and a bit disappointed with the slippage in the release schedule.

I too believe that Fanpro would hire more staff, produce and release more books if their sales went up.
But, I am not too sure how realistic that is. There is still a need for playtesting, revisions, editing, printing. I am not sure that having 2 or 10 more on staff would change the timeline on those issues. The majority of the writting is done by Freelancers. I don't know if there would be enough other Freelancers available to put out more product, even if there was more editing and coordinating staff on hand.
knasser

The one thing that I would like to do would be to write some modules for Shadowrun. I have done one on my site and I'm 2/3rds of the way through a new one (the one from the Carnival thread), but if I could make ones to sell, then I would do substantially larger and more professional pieces. I have thought about doing this with D&D which I could do, but I'm currently most interested in Shadowrun so I haven't.

But I think a central control for the rules and source books is necessary, and aside from the atrocious slowness, FanPro have certainly shown themselves as excellent editors, playtesters and writers.

-K.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (knasser)
The relevant part of Open Source as far as the original poster was concerned, seemed to be the way anyone could contribute.

But that isn't Open Source at all. The idea is that anyone can modify, not that anyone can contribute. See the OSI's definition.

Besides, the fundamental objection I'm making is the question of what is the "source". The closest analogous component to "source" in publishing is the files that generate the $FORMAT (probably Postscript, maybe PDF) that go to the printer to get turned into nice shiny physical pages. Without those, you can't edit the work in any meaningful sense.

I think it would be totally awesome if they made their manuscripts open (note: does not imply "free", though does imply "Free"), especially the older ones, but I don't see any advantages for FanPro.

~J
Ancient History
Open sourcing Shadowrun would be one step shy of open sourcing GURPS.
knasser
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 15 2007, 10:20 AM)
The relevant part of Open Source as far as the original poster was concerned, seemed to be the way anyone could contribute.

But that isn't Open Source at all. The idea is that anyone can modify, not that anyone can contribute. See the OSI's definition.

Besides, the fundamental objection I'm making is the question of what is the "source". The closest analogous component to "source" in publishing is the files that generate the $FORMAT (probably Postscript, maybe PDF) that go to the printer to get turned into nice shiny physical pages. Without those, you can't edit the work in any meaningful sense.

I think it would be totally awesome if they made their manuscripts open (note: does not imply "free", though does imply "Free"), especially the older ones, but I don't see any advantages for FanPro.

~J

I understand what you're saying but again I point you to certain modifiers in my sentences such as "considered as" and "relevant parts." I just took the original poster to mean that he wanted to add material. Not rearrange or re-write parts of the existing material. If the latter, then yes, there's a problem. But I (a) don't think that was meant and (b) can't see much benefit. What I'm saying is that as far as adding material to Shadowrun, it is open source and the only effect I see of opening it further so that FanPro aren't in control of what goes in would be a reduction in quality.

I'll modify that slightly. I can see some people making useful contributions. I expect we'd see an interesting FrankTrollman edition of Street Magic. But basically, I stand by my point. The OP already has everything he's asking for. Unless the OP wants to say I've misunderstood.
Kagetenshi
I don't think it's unfair to say that the OP has a certain portion of what he's asking for already. What I do have a problem with is the continued use of the term "Open Source" for it. You're accepting a redefinition of the term for the purposes of this discussion, while I'm declining to accept the same in the belief that doing so may result in continued confusion about what "Open Source" really is.

~J
deek
I voted fully open-source. In this case, I think the game mechanics and non-fluff writing can be considered the "source". Not the PDFs. I don't want to see FanPro going to all the work of producing the PDFs just to have them given away...not a good business model.

But, if someone wanted to get their hands on the raw rules, game mechanics, no examples, skills, etc, etc...in like a giant text file...that is what I would suppose the source would be.

And just like any open source project, you still have a project team that is coordinating the changes, managing the project and putting out official releases. And just because the source is open, doesn't mean the PDFs or paper books are free...

I think the spirit of open source would help, as there are undoubtedly other people out there with a passion for SR, as well as the time to really put forth a lot of effort. The only real risk is that someone with the time, effort and money ends up producing a better product than the current company...for FanPro, that is a bad thing, but for the customers (all of us that play), its a good thing. It means better quality (as normally only the best quality end result is going to gain the support of the masses), more content (because you have a larger pool of people that can spend time and effort on the game) and a better release schedule (I think that is true because then the maintainers, aka FanPro, can focus their talents on scheduling, deadlines and quality review/control).

Again, I think that FanPro, or only the like-minded individuals, are going to control the fluff, the plots and storylines overall, but there is obviously a lot more to the game than just that, and that is where I think tapping into the community and really letting other people that have passion and professionalism get involved.

I mean, unless someone comes in with a lot more financial backing, I doubt that the publishing of printed materials are going to be done better, although that is the risk that a company would take...can someone take the core rules and mechanics, improve on it (which in reality, everyone would have access to, including FanPro) but then be able to package and sell it better? That's the risk...but unless someone other than FanPro could do the packaging and delivery better, then there really isn't a downside...at least to the players and GMs, IMO.
Jrayjoker
I don't want to see a pile of crap similar to the d20 open source stuff we were subjected to. We don't need an open source guide to SR sexuality...
deek
Heh...but no one says you have to buy or grab every supplement that some joker puts out...I mean, take a look at linux...you have thousands of different "projects" that are all based off the same core...but yet you only have a handful that have made it into a good business model...

Now I can go out and download RedHat or Suse or whatever big-time distro for free and install it, but I don't get the nicely-printed manuals, the organized CDs and several other perks that money can buy...

But in the end, the customer is served best, because you have a variety of options and different levels of quality and content that cater to your specific needs and desires. FanPro is safe going open source, unless there is someone (or more) out there that can do their job better...which honestly, is how an open market should work...

You might not "need" an SR sexuality guide, but if someone wants to take the time to create one and distribute it, they can...I'd still think that only the non-fluff of something like that would be under open source rules...that any creative content, examples, etc, would still be owned by the creator...
knasser
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
What I do have a problem with is the continued use of the term "Open Source" for it.

Please re-read my posts. My two statements were that "for his purposes it could be considered Open Source" and "the relevant part of Open Source as far as the original poster is concerned..."

I have not re-defined Open Source. I have in both cases referenced aspects of Open Source. I stand by that.
deek
I still think that the one guarantee for open source SR would be more activity as a whole. Not necessarily better quality in each project, but there would be a lot more activity, and I think the overall quality and content levels would be better. Again, you would have the same team members managing the "project" and therefore still picking the stuff they want to add and maintaining the quality levels...you'd just have a lot more people adding creative ideas and helping to filter the content down the line...

It could certainly work and I still stand by that the end user is going to be served best in this type of model.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (knasser @ Apr 16 2007, 01:36 PM)
Please re-read my posts. My two statements were that "for his purposes it could be considered Open Source" and "the relevant part of Open Source as far as the original poster is concerned..."

I have not re-defined Open Source. I have in both cases referenced aspects of Open Source. I stand by that.

I reject that claim, as above. You referenced things typically associated with Open Source, but they are neither sufficient nor necessary.

QUOTE (deek)
In this case, I think the game mechanics and non-fluff writing can be considered the "source".

Then every RPG is tautologically open-source until such time as case law indicates otherwise. I reject this view as unhelpful.

~J
Aristotle
D&D, while I am quite a fan of the d20 products, is a very different beast (imho) from Shadowrun. I don't think this approach would work at all. I prefer the rules, gadgets, and storyline be kept in house where they can, in theory, be kept balanced.

Now... I would be all for readily available licensing options that would allow established game companies to produce specific product types. (i.e. adventures)
Adam
I'd appreciate it if this didn't turn into an "open source" vs. "Open Source" style of debate. I understand that it's a hot-button issue for Open Source supporters, but since there's a whole lot of legal wrangling that would have to go on to get this done anyway, and the actual license is only a small part of that, I think this discussion would be more useful for everyone if it focused on how the process could work, not the nitty-gritty of licenses.

Also, for the sake of guiding the discussion, I think that there is no chance that WizKids would allow a situation where non-approved parties could publish material using the Shadowrun trademarks, except as already outlined by the fan site policy, which prohibits the republishing of copyrighted Shadowrun art and text.
deek
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (deek)
In this case, I think the game mechanics and non-fluff writing can be considered the "source".

Then every RPG is tautologically open-source until such time as case law indicates otherwise. I reject this view as unhelpful.

Eh...well, I suppose that from my perspective and experience, you have to break down what the "source" is, versus what is the added flavor that is part of the creative element that shouldn't be open-source...

I had to look up the word tautologically (basically meaning the needless repetition of an idea)... Again, I don't view that it is unhelpful...I think a lot of the issues fellow DSFers bring up are in the core mechanics, which really, you can completely disassociate from the setting. Having the core mechanics in the realm of open source...well, I see a lot of benefits from that...kinda the under the hood aspect. Now, I don't know if there is a lot of clamouring for other companies to grab a hold of the core mechanics and use them in other RPGs, because the thing I and others like about SR is the universe, not necessarily the mechanics...but, if you let the community focus on the core system, and put the effort into answering all the questions, streamlining and fixing the system, then you allow the "company" to focus on the SR universe...which to me, is where the focus should be anyways, especially in a smaller company with a large portion of contract/freelance workers...

@Adam
I agree, I don't think any aspect of SR will got down the open source road. But I think if it did, it really would just be the core mechanics (meaning the d6's, fixed TNs, rolling attribute + skill, etc, etc). That really can be transplanted into any genre, exactly as you see the d20 system.

The trademarks, names and all of that which really makes up SR, would be separate from the open source "mechanics"... I mean, where is the harm allowing the core mechanics to be open source and worked on by an unlimited amount of people and hours? Someone would still have to maintain it and keep it up-to-date...
Kagetenshi
It might be helpful to replace "tautological" with "trivial"—if game mechanics are not protected by copyright, and game mechanics are made public (which they must be, barring something radical like the distribution of a black-box adjudicator with every core rulebook), then the statement that game mechanics can be considered the source results in the conclusion that every published game is open-source, which means that the term doesn't add any meaning and should thus be avoided.

In deference to Adam's request, I'll rest my case on the definition front. I believe that everything that needs to be said on the matter (barring clarification, which granted can be a pretty big need) I've said already, anyway.

~J
deek
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It might be helpful to replace "tautological" with "trivial"—if game mechanics are not protected by copyright, and game mechanics are made public (which they must be, barring something radical like the distribution of a black-box adjudicator with every core rulebook), then the statement that game mechanics can be considered the source results in the conclusion that every published game is open-source, which means that the term doesn't add any meaning and should thus be avoided.

In deference to Adam's request, I'll rest my case on the definition front. I believe that everything that needs to be said on the matter (barring clarification, which granted can be a pretty big need) I've said already, anyway.

~J

Ahh...I know understand and see your point...and I think your use of tautological was correct...just never heard the term.

Question then...so what's the big deal with d20 being open source if game mechanics are not protected by copyright in the first place?
Adam
The actual text of the d20 System was made available under the Open Gaming License, which meant the text itself could be reproduced verbatim, it didn't need to be reworded or have "the serial numbers filed off." Even though game mechanics cannot be protected by copyright, any particular expression of them is.

With regards to d20/OGL, you need to remember that there are two licenses: the d20 License that allows you to use the d20 logo [but you have more restrictions] and the OGL license that is for the text only, but doesn't give you the right to use the d20 System logo.

As always, consult your lawyer. wink.gif
TBRMInsanity
After reading the posts on this forum and discussing this topic with my friends I came to realize that some OS would be good for SR but not all of it. Tell me what you think of this:

WizKids and Fanpro retain the ability to create rules and rule books, and they create a small board of people that would (for a small fee) give quality products a seal of approval to be used in the SR universe. It would become the ability of any publisher to create mission books, equipment books, and maybe even storyline events (only approved events from Wizkids would be considered official). This sort of action would allow WizKids and FanPro to get back on track with their distribution of SR to the community.

OS has been proven to be a devastating tool in the RPG market (as seen with the OGL). I think that SR needs to follow suit with its own license in order to compete and survive. How many people out there would not buy a product created by a third party, especially if that product was endorsed by WizKids and FanPro?
Adam
OS has been proven to be a devastating tool in the RPG market (as seen with the OGL).

Yeah, and not exactly in the way you mean ... wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (deek @ Apr 16 2007, 03:53 PM)
Question then...so what's the big deal with d20 being open source if game mechanics are not protected by copyright in the first place?

Never got around to responding to this—in addition to what Adam says, there's also the fact that while game mechanics are almost certainly not protected by copyright, as I think I mentioned there's no case law setting a firm precedent yet. The OGL, in addition to allowing the use of the particular expression of the rules, also provides assurance that a third-party publisher isn't going to have to shell out for a lawyer to establish the case law involved. Unless your plaintiff is clearly and obviously filing a frivolous suit (and thus the iudge might make them pay your lawyer's fees), even setting foot in the courtroom is a lose for most parties.

Given how litigious TSR was (IIRC they actually sued over this exact thing, which means either the cases settled, were dropped, or I'm wrong on the lack of precedent—I suspect one of the first two, but someone should check), and how WotC was also IIRC decently litigious, I would think twice about taking that risk (and I'm the one openly spearheading a fork of the SR3 rules, though granted not commercially—not that the defendants in TSR's suits were necessarily commercial).

(Still no bar exam, still not legal advice)

~J
TBRMInsanity
I think that a fork in the rules would be that great of an idea. The single best thing about the SR rules is its simplicity. D20 rules have needless loopholes that allow munchkin behavior to exist. I would be worried that a fork in the SR rules may lead to this.
Crakkerjakk
Dunner, did they open source GURPS? I don't get it... maybe this whole debate is over my head.
Adam
GURPS is not Open Source at all. Some third party publishers [that is, not Steve Jackson Games] have been granted a license to publish books using GURPS mechanics and the "Powered by GURPS" logo and trade dress, but this requires an explicit agreement with Steve Jackson Games.
mfb
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
The single best thing about the SR rules is its simplicity. D20 rules have needless loopholes that allow munchkin behavior to exist.

i'm not sure this is the correct place for stand-up comedy routines, man.
Kagetenshi
Yeah, I mean… I'm just not sure how to respond to that. I'm not sure it can be responded to.

~J
Adam
I'm assuming that "would" == "wouldn't" ... but either way, I don't think I want to spend time talking about those issues right now. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Well, no, that part was able to be reconstructed pretty easily—but then there's the issues you mention, but even if you accept that part of the statement there's the question of how it could affect the original product…

Yeah, we'll steer clear.

~J
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Well, no, that part was able to be reconstructed pretty easily—but then there's the issues you mention, but even if you accept that part of the statement there's the question of how it could affect the original product…

Yeah, we'll steer clear.

~J

I think that the quality of the original SR may go down as more publishers contribute but that is unfortunately the price of having more quantity. It is better to have average quantity and not near perfect quality then it is to have no quantity and perfect quality.
dog_xinu
There is a big difference between Closed Source, Open Source and the OGL (Open Gaming License). Closed Source is like Microsoft Excel (or Word), Adobe Photoshop, or Windows O/S. If P&P Gaming (Pen and Paper) were Closed Source, you would be be told my the game if you succeed or fail without knowing how things work (like tests are skill + attribute, target numbers 5/6s).

Open Source give you the ability to use the program how you like to and you can modify to suit your needs/wants. P&P games are this way. The rules are given out, and the GMs, can add/remove/modify the rules for themselves. The owner of the game (like FanPRO in this case), regulates the rules/content. The offical stuff. But you can do whatever you want in your own home. Now you cant sell stuff for it unless you have a license to do so. FanPRO doesnt give those out (as far as I know and I have not asked for one so I dont know for 100%).

Now the OGL. Open Gaming License. This is what WoTC did right and did wrong at the same time. They needed it so D&D3.0 would take off like it did. It game the license rights out so third parties can write material for it. This gave to the D20 BOOM. Right after the BOOM there was a BUST. The quality of the game material for D&D overall went down. WoTC produced good material. Some of the other producers did too. But many made less than good books/material. So as a GM you had to be carefull of what material you would let into your games.

Now I wouldnt mind if FanPRO let others produce material for SR4 but do it in a way that they can control the quality. Maybe modules/missions type books.

just my opinion....
dog
FrankTrollman
AD&D was a closed source game. The basic game mechanics were given to the Deungeon Master with the Dungeon Master's Guide and the players were explicitly forbidden from looking at those contents or finding out how things worked. The entire premise proved to be implausible, as hackers time and time again cracked the source code by reading the book - and Gygax's bold attempt at creating a closed source gaming system ended in abject failure.

Since then all major games have been written under the assumption that the players and game masters would both have access to the rules and be capable of understanding them. In a literal sense, basically every game written in the last 20 years has been open source.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012