Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun & BattleTech News
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Adam
As reported by IMR/BattleCorps:

INMEDIARES PRODUCTIONS LLC. ENTERS NEGOTIATIONS FOR THE CLASSIC BATTLETECH AND SHADOWRUN LICENSES FROM WIZKIDS INC.

Everett, WA, April 20, 2007—InMediaRes Production LLC has entered into negotiations with WizKids, Inc. and FanPro, LLC to explore the acquisition of RPG publishing rights for the Classic BattleTech and Shadowrun Intellectual Properties. IMR is confident in the strength of Shadowrun and Classic BattleTech and the commitment that WizKids, Inc. has shown in supporting these two long-standing properties.

About InMediaRes Productions LLC
InMediaRes Productions LLC has developed BattleCorps.com as the premiere on-line fiction source for Classic BattleTech. BattleCorps.com actively support the Classic BattleTech community, their BattleShop offers everything from poster maps to PDF sourcebooks, miniatures to software, and is the one-stop-shop for any fan of the BattleTech/MechWarrior universe. Their subscription-based services also take the Classic BattleTech experience to a whole new level, featuring a stable of authors from national best sellers to great new talent, new art, unique product previews, faction specific message boards and moderated chats with authors and developers.

About WizKids, Inc.
A wholly owned subsidiary of the Topps Company (TOPP), WizKids is a Seattle-based game developer and publisher dedicated to creating tabletop games driven by imagination. Its HeroClix® and Pirates brands are among the most successful games on the market today, with over one hundred million miniature game figures sold worldwide. For additional information, visit www.wizkidsgames.com.

Loren Coleman’s Letter to the Community

Some of you may have heard the rumors beginning to build. Well, the announcements are now getting out there. Negotiations have begun, seeking to move the Classic BattleTech and Shadowrun properties to a new company, InMediaRes Productions.

As this moves forward, I'm certain we will hear information of long-time employees moving between companies, as well as dark rumors as to the fate of CBT and Shadowrun. I want not only to strike down such rumors, I can tell you that I see nothing but brighter, better days ahead for both game lines.

I have spoken with WizKids, and can assure you that this move is in the best interest of both Classic BattleTechand Shadowrun. I have every confidence in WizKids, in their support for the game lines, and their ability to ensure that the games we enjoy so much will only grow stronger.

I also think we owe a deep debt of gratitude to FanPro and its employees, as well, for bringing the properties this far. They have done an exceedingly hard job, taking over after FASA closed its doors, and the quality of the product we've seen in the last several years is a testament to their hard work and love for the games.

I know that I, and all other industry professionals I've spoken to, have re-committed ourselves to the game lines, no matter what. This is not something we would do if we were worried about their future. In fact, we are more excited than ever to have the ability to take both Classic BattleTech and Shadowrun to new and greater heights.

We look forward to seeing you there, along for the ride!

Loren Coleman
InMediaRes Productions

Rob Boyle’s Letter to the Community

I've been the lead Shadowrun line developer for FanPro LLC since the day it started, through good times and bad. Along with the other developers and freelancers, we have all been absolutely committed to continuing and and growing this game line in new and exciting ways.

The time has now come to transfer the Shadowrun line into the hands of a new company. We are not saying goodbye, however--we're coming along for the ride as well. Everyone who is part of the core Shadowrun production crew is looking forward to relocating the line to IMR's stewardship and continuing to publish one of the best games out there. Despite the delays we've recently faced, we are excited that things will be getting back on track quite quickly.

Rob Boyle
Shadowrun Line Developer

Randall Bills' Letter to the Community

The last ten years I’ve seen the Classic BattleTech property and community thrive. I’ve been a part of the development of over one hundred products and novels for this universe. I’ve also been the key driving force behind the largest re-branding and revitalization Classic BattleTech has seen in well over a decade, including the creation and launching of the Dawn of Jihad sourcebook and storyline, as well as Total Warfare.

FanPro has made the above accomplishments possible. With the expiration of the license and WizKids’ desire to position the Classic BattleTech product to achieve even more, WizKids, Inc. is working with both FanPro LLC and InMediaRes Productions LLC. to transition the Classic BattleTech license to InMediaRes.

I have immensely enjoyed the working relationship between myself and WizKids and the other licensees surrounding Classic BattleTech/MechWarrior, such as Iron Wind Metals, InMediaRes Productions and so on. I completely support this move by all involved and look forward to an even stronger relationship between the various licensees that positions Classic BattleTech/MechWarrior to even greater heights.

Randall Bills
Classic BattleTech Line Developer
Demerzel
Oh, thank god. I was hardly able to hold my tounge any longer... I wanted to link this sooo bad...
fistandantilus4.0
I know exactly what you mean. To head off a few questions, and so Adam doesn't have to type it all again, from what I've heard some of the dumbed down version:
Rob's still there, but doing more game development, and no long er the Operations Manger.
Peter and Robyn and Adam are all there.
QUOTE (Adam)
And yes, this situation explains why I've been so scarce for the past few months .... like I said, it's been /interesting/]

so that may be part of your answer Demerzel
Demerzel
Okay, so Q1:
Has this been part of the delays we've been seeing in publishing of late, and will this expidite the books we've all been waiting for?
Demerzel
Q2:
Will IMR get Holostreets going now, seeing as BattleCorps has been a success for them?
Mistwalker
And so the ripples wash over the world.

Allowing lots of Shadowruns, more so than the Fuchi disintegration
fistandantilus4.0
Also from Adam
QUOTE (Adam)
The new company will have more full-time staff and better relations with BattleCorps/Holostreets [both owned by IMR].

Hopefully save you some typing there man.
fistandantilus4.0
So a more direct question, will this mean hopefully books left along he way like Running Wild and SoLA will finally see the light of day?
Demerzel
SoLA was supposed to be a Holostreets/digital only production wasn't it?

God, I don't think I'm allowed to speculate. I'm so confused...

Edit:
Ugh, I can't tell you the number of times I've refreshed various websites since 3pm when I heard there was an important announcement coming. Now I've got a CBT game scheduled at my Firebase and have to go, it'll be hours before I find out what new is happening....
fistandantilus4.0
That was the word, then both just kind of ... went away. Could be why. I'm afraid to hope anymore.

QUOTE (Demerzel)
have to go, it'll be hours before I find out what new is happening....

Just hope that by then, you can come back to more answers than questions.
Rob Boyle
>>> Has this been part of the delays we've been seeing in publishing of late, and will this expidite the books we've all been waiting for?<<<

Yes, it's been a big part of the delay recently. Emergence is almost ready to go to print, for example, and should soon.

In the long run, this should also mean an overall more intensive focus on dev work (more staff, more time).

>>Will IMR get Holostreets going now, seeing as BattleCorps has been a success for them?<<<

That's part of the plan, yes, though it will take some time.
hobgoblin
ok, this is starting to look like a game of pong. fasa -> wizkid/fanpro -> IMR...

but for the love of SR, get those SR4 books out the door!
Rob Boyle
>>>So a more direct question, will this mean hopefully books left along he way like Running Wild and SoLA will finally see the light of day?<<<<

Running Wild is currently on the release schedule for mid-2008 as the advanced critter sourcebook for SR4.

SOLA is unlikely to ever see print, I'm afraid. But we should be freed up to release it as a PDF soon.
Adam
Also, please note that WizKids is not selling either property. IMR would be licensing them like FanPro currently is.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Rob Boyle)
Running Wild is currently on the release schedule for mid-2008 as the advanced critter sourcebook for SR4.

I'm buying you a cigar and/or drink if I ever meet you
fistandantilus4.0
So this means more full time staff, correct? Is that more staff is in a few freelancers becoming full time, or more staff as in more managerial being covered so that people are freed up for development?
Ranneko
Curses, didn't see the thread in this forum.
nezumi
Wow... Just to be clear, all that this means is the three people in charge of making the SR line (and this applies only to SR4, SR3 still being dead) are now part of IMR instead of Fan Pro? What does this mean to me? Should we expect things to move faster? Will IMR take SR in a different direction?
fistandantilus4.0
My understanding so far (until someone with a cooler title says something different) is that it's going away from Fanpro. IMR is looking to have at least more staffing at the top, since Rob is no long the Ops Mngr, and is now doing Line Dev. Also, IMR will make t-shirts. biggrin.gif
Adam
Quickly:

* Yes, IMR will be bringing on more staff to handle the workload. Even though they already have projects underway [BattleCorps, HoloStreets], they will have more staff than FanPro ever did.

* There will obviously be a transition period, but IMR has taken a close look at FanPro's problems over the years and obviously wants to fix them -- and the crucial thing is bringing on new staff so there is a dedicated Operations Manager that is not tied to any of the games, and that's been done. As Rob mentioned, Emergence for SR is very close to going to press, as well. A reliastic schedule for the next few years has been worked out.
Meriss
Yay! More printing means more love.gif! Here's hoping that all the important people get a bit more money and some rest now and then. biggrin.gif Also hope that nobody and no project gets the shaft. frown.gif
Mr. Man
I like the sound of more staff, I just hope that IMR has no plans to save money by shuffling everything to PDF-only distribution as fast as possible.

Adam
Print production will continue, but online releases and services are in the plans.
Seven-7
With FanPro handing off the reins to IMR we runners should see the job spikes from other corps looking to steal the deal from IMR so keep in touch with your fixe...Er I mean, sounds like a good move for Shadowrun and Battle Tech, one of which I'm a rabid fan and another which I'm a sore looser frown.gif.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Rob Boyle)
SOLA is unlikely to ever see print, I'm afraid. But we should be freed up to release it as a PDF soon.

Would it be possible to release it as a pre-print quality PDF, too - cutting margins, etc?

You know, so the rabid fan can have it print and bound themselves? wink.gif
eidolon
Well, well. I get offline for a few hours and look what happens. biggrin.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
My understanding so far (until someone with a cooler title says something different) is that it's going away from Fanpro. IMR is looking to have at least more staffing at the top, since Rob is no long the Ops Mngr, and is now doing Line Dev. Also, IMR will make t-shirts. biggrin.gif

My understanding is that a lot of merchandizing such as shirts, dice, etc. sort of fell through the cracks as far as the WizKids/FanPro contract. Who, if anyone, had the license to do those things was kind of a question mark.

Supposedly the IMR contracts are less ambiguous. Meaning that even if your favorite secondary project doesn't happen, you will at least have a specific company to complain to. wink.gif

-Frank
fistandantilus4.0
And that sir is the kind of information people need to know. smile.gif

At least now I can get a snazzy tshirt. Although really, a SR shirt doesn't make sense. For a game "based" in Seattle, shouldn't it be the Shadowrun Sweater/hoodie, or better yet, long coat?
FrankTrollman
And that sir is the kind of information people need to know. smile.gif

At least now I can get a snazzy tshirt. Although really, a SR shirt doesn't make sense. For a game "based" in Seattle, shouldn't it be the Shadowrun Sweater/hoodie, or better yet, long coat?

Or a spiked cod piece.

I'll try to find out who you can complain to that that hasn't been forthcoming.

-Frank
fistandantilus4.0
Wonderful. I knew I could count on you.
Matsu Kurisu
Thanks for the update. I was really wondering what was happening to the new product shipping schedule.
I look forward to extra growth in the Shadowrun products that the new focus will bring
TheRedRightHand
Yah, and maybe we'll even get new novels.
fistandantilus4.0
Oooh, there's a good question. Any word on that?

As always, hoping for more from Jason Hardy. That he promised to put in more Drop Bear references of course has nothing to do with it.
Demerzel
Well, 6 hours of CBT later and I'm back. Looks like it's a simple matter of a business move. I think that the community will take this well, especially when the books start rolling out. If in the next coupple weeks we see a date for Emergance and they meet that date then it will be clear that the move is not going to hamper the line.

I don't think that the trauma will be as great as the FASA change, after all it's not that big of a change. I am glad that the PTB (Powers That Be, for some reason the CBT players really like that TLA) decided to take this active role in getting the news out and answering questions. It may have been overkill, but heck... I'm a SR player overkill isis what I live for.

I'm pretty excited about the change, and I'm not just saying that because I'm on the Demo team. I don't think I liked the term Commando anyhow...
knasser

I have a few questions, please.

Will the entity known as FanPro still exist or is the FanPro core staff now working for IMR instead, entirely?

Knowing nothing about IMR, how closed shop will they be? Does it have implications for those of us who were hoping to make proposals to FanPro for gaming material?

Does this effect the fiction rights? I know that these were separate to the game material rights so I'm very interested in knowing if IMR are licencing these as well.

Do I have to go and update that Copyright information at the foot of all the online supplements I've written?

Many thanks,

-Khadim.
Demerzel
QUOTE (knasser)
Will the entity known as FanPro still exist or is the FanPro core staff now working for IMR instead, entirely?

Paul the Commando Coordinator posted:

QUOTE (Paul)
FanPro's not going anywhere. They just won't be doing CBT and SR anymore, but are supporting the transfer.

However it appears that all the core staff is moving. Adam, Rob, etc. I didn't see Synner specified, but I hope he'll be moving also. He's been a great resource here to the players, and I hope to see him reprise his role with IMR.

Similarly for the CBT staff.

QUOTE (Knasser)
Do I have to go and update that Copyright information at the foot of all the online supplements I've written?

WizKids will still own the IP this is a licencing change. That may not answer y our question, but since FanPro isn't listed in the blurb, well . . .

I can't really help much with the other stuff. The details of the licencing hasen't come out yet to my knowledge. So we'll see and hope. As Frank said above, at least we'll know for sure who's responsible for what if they are less ambiguous with the details of who can produce what.
Demerzel
I see Synner's lurking, mayhap he can lay some enlightenment on those for you Khadim...
mfb
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Apr 21 2007, 01:21 AM)
And that sir is the kind of information people need to know.  smile.gif

Or a spiked cod piece.

I'll try to find out who you can complain to that that hasn't been forthcoming.

-Frank

plus a variety of nipple enhancers for our Prescott fans.
Demerzel
Oh wow. New question.

What happens to Dumpshock now? Will it still remain the main forum for SR? Does IMR have plans for it?
Synner
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Apr 21 2007, 07:54 AM)
However it appears that all the core staff is moving.  Adam, Rob, etc.  I didn't see Synner specified, but I hope he'll be moving also.  He's been a great resource here to the players, and I hope to see him reprise his role with IMR.

Actually fistandantilus mentioned me already...
Rob's still there, but doing more game development, and no long er the Operations Manager. Peter and Robyn and Adam are all there.

I'm the "Peter" in the list above and I'll continue to work as assistant developer on Shadowrun with Rob and Robyn at IMR.

QUOTE (knasser)

Both actually. FanPro LLC will probably continue on its own course and the core FanPro staff will be moving to IMR with the SR license.

Knowing nothing about IMR, how closed shop will they be? Does it have implications for those of us who were hoping to make proposals to FanPro for gaming material?

While its too early yet to comment on how thing will work out, I think it is safe to assume we will maintain a similar approach to SR development and calling on freelance talent.

Does this effect the fiction rights? I know that these were separate to the game material rights so I'm very interested in knowing if IMR are licencing these as well.

Negotiations are just starting so its waaaaaay too early to advance anything on this subject. As you mentioned currently the RPG license is separate from fiction/novel rights.

Eventually you will, but the license hasn't changed hands just yet.
Demerzel
Heh, I never knew the name that went with Synner. Dunno why, glad to know it.

As to the books, Paul the Commando Coordinator over at the CBT forums answered:

Does this mean we will see the return of actual novels to CBT? And if you can't say, then is that a possibility?

Those questions simply cannot be answered at this point, although you should realize that the novel publishing rights have never been with FanPro or IMR, but with ROC. Whether CBT novels are printed is their call, and that hasn't changed.
Adam
QUOTE (Demerzel)
What happens to Dumpshock now? Will it still remain the main forum for SR? Does IMR have plans for it?

I think it is very likely that IMR will be launching their own Shadowrun forums, but I expect them to be slightly more focused on "new player" issues than Dumpshock is. More limited in scope.
knasser
Another question, has this affected the posting of fiction that appears on the Shadowrunrpg web site?

Also, returning to the published fiction issue. I'll level that I've been privately wanting to write some Shadowrun fiction for some time and have done some work towards this. I've been waiting until I knew I could allocate the needed time before approaching anyone. And until I had some of my other fiction published in order to lend a bit more credence to my proposal. Is the fiction side now in limbo or will I still be able to approach Wizkids with it? I had thought that they, not ROC, had the rights to this.

Sorry for the slightly more personal nature of my concerns, here. As a more general question, does the IMR management now mean there is a set release shedule for the supplements? Will this be released to us, the rabid customers? smile.gif
prionic6
What happens to the german translations?
Adam
1. Web fiction will continue on ShadowrunRPG.com, and it will probably be tied in with HoloStreets.

2. There is no announcement at this time on future paper publications of Shadowrun novels.

3. IMR has internal schedules, and as things proceed, new release dates will be announced.
knasser
QUOTE (Adam @ Apr 21 2007, 09:01 AM)
1. Web fiction will continue on ShadowrunRPG.com, and it will probably be tied in with HoloStreets.

That's good to know, but what I was really asking, I suppose, is if it's the reason that haven't been updates on the Shadowrunrpg site? Does it mean there's not going to be fiction published up there, currently?

QUOTE (Adam)

2. There is no announcement at this time on future paper publications of Shadowrun novels.

Specifically, I'm asking if I make a proposal will anyone "pick up the phone." I guess I'll just have to try, I suppose, but I'm just trying to get a grasp on if this situation is completely in limbo or if it just means someone still can publish at the moment but it may transfer to a different body in the future.

QUOTE (Adam)

3. IMR has internal schedules, and as things proceed, new release dates will be announced.

Wonderful. Thank you very much for that.
Adam
That's good to know, but what I was really asking, I suppose, is if it's the reason that haven't been updates on the Shadowrunrpg site? Does it mean there's not going to be fiction published up there, currently?

Free fiction will be published on ShadowrunRPG.com in the future, on a regular schedule, in cooperation with the HoloStreets subscription service, when the details are finalized.

Specifically, I'm asking if I make a proposal will anyone "pick up the phone." I guess I'll just have to try, I suppose, but I'm just trying to get a grasp on if this situation is completely in limbo or if it just means someone still can publish at the moment but it may transfer to a different body in the future.

Nobody is publishing Shadowrun fiction in print right now. IMR does not have the license at this time, ROC has published the last of their six Shadowrun novels, and WizKids has no plans to publish it themselves. I would suggest that spending time and effort contacting WizKids now would be time that could be better spent doing something else.
knasser
QUOTE (Adam)
I would suggest that spending time and effort contacting WizKids now would be time that could be better spent doing something else.

Adam, thank you. That's the information that I needed.

(Not wanted, mind you. frown.gif )
Adam
Short term pain, long term gain. There will be more opportunities to write Shadowrun fiction in the future, I'm sure! smile.gif
MITJA3000+
Whoa, from a mundanes viewpoint, this is mighty exciting!
Normally I would probably be scared shitless and crying blood, like when FASA quit, but since we haven't seen any new books recently, things really can't go worse, right?
Well, all in all, I'm holding on to my hat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012