Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a datajack for these days?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Apr 24 2007, 04:29 PM)
Datajack: A datajack allows a user to directly interface with any electronic device via a fiberoptic cable. Datajacks also allow users to slot and mentally access chips, softs, and BTLs.

I think you have to strike BTLs from that list. If you want to experience BTLs you need Hot Sim and therefore need a Sim Module. The text says you can bypass the sim module requirement for linguasofts and knowsofts, nothing about the sim experience.

Edit: And furthermore access to chips may be limited to your ability to process the data. You may need an image link to read text in a text file that you can connect to via the datajack, a sound link for sound, etc. The Knowsofts and Linguasofts are the only specified examples of data that can be directly processed.

That "list" is what the book says....Still you need the Sim module anyway. Seems like Datajacks and trodes are equal here.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (The OOB)
Shadowrunners, on the otherhand, care about efficiency more then anything else, the money and essence spent on a datajack could easily be spent someone else, unlike a normal person shadowrunners risk their life for a living, and thus they need to spend their resources as carefully as possible, lest they not make it back from their next run.

...500 nuyen.gif .1 essence (.06 if Alpha grade for 1000 nuyen.gif). Not really a big outlay at chargen unless your awakened and/or start off dirt cheap poor.

QUOTE (The OOB)
The way I see it, most people who have datajacks either a) had them installed before the 2nd crash back when they where still the way to go, or b) are "normal" citizens who use them out of convienance.

...pretty reasonable for most characters (unless they're say ten years old) since first, the crash occurred only 6 years ago and second, sometimes looking like a "normal" citizen isn't a bad thing.
Demerzel
I thought Alphaware was 80% of essence cost for 200% price. So 500 nuyen.gif and .1 essence should go to 1,000 nuyen.gif and 0.08 essence, right?
The Jopp
QUOTE (Demerzel)
I thought Alphaware was 80% of essence cost for 200% price. So 500 nuyen.gif and .1 essence should go to 1,000 nuyen.gif and 0.08 essence, right?

Yup. Beta grade would become 2000Y and 0,6 Essence.
Demerzel
And not availiable at Chargen.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (The Jopp)
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Apr 25 2007, 03:08 PM)
I thought Alphaware was 80% of essence cost for 200% price.  So 500 nuyen.gif and .1 essence should go to 1,000 nuyen.gif and 0.08 essence, right?

Yup. Beta grade would become 2000Y and 0,6 Essence.

...whoops my bad...didn't have my morning soycaff yet...
Jack Kain
If your going to rewrite the rules for how these tools work whats the point of this debate?

RAW: You can mentally slot chips such as BLT's with a datajack. Far as I know thats how the chip heads did it back when decks were in use.

There also appears to be a assumption that a comlink can wire its self to any electronic device like a datajack can. Nothing on the comlink says it has anything like that.
Demerzel
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
RAW: You can mentally slot chips such as BLT's with a datajack.

What in SR4 are you basing that statement on?

QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Far as I know thats how the chip heads did it back when decks were in use.

That certainly doesn't make it RAW in SR4.
JonathanC
QUOTE (The Jopp)
The datajack is actually needed for skinlinking information from cyberware to (for example) a skinlinked smartlink.

Skinlink
Device for sending information along the surface of the skin

Datajack
DNI device linked to other cyberware and a usable tool for wired transmissions and secure data transfer.

The conclusion I could find after reading through the RAW is that in order to have smartlinked information reach your cybereye display link you need the following:

Image Link --> Datajack (Skinlinked) --> Smartgun (Skinlinked)

Why can't the smartlinked gun transmit wirelessly to the cybereyes via your PAN? If you have a commlink attached to you by trodes, then it should be able to transmit, right? Subscribe them both to your PAN and you're golden?
Demerzel
He's talking about avoiding wireless links. If you want to use a skinlink for yoru smartgun to prevent hackability you have to complete the circuit by connecting the skinlink to something that is connected to the eyes. I'm not certain you can't just pay the 50 nuyen.gif to skinlink your cybereyes, if you can skinlink your datajack...
kigmatzomat
One thing to keep in mind is that nanopaste trodes are 100Y and probably only work once, like the nanopaste disguise. Doesn't take many applications to make a datajack appealing. Trodenets will also be kind of gauche in many situations. Women may be able to hide them with fashion but on men they will stick out like a bad toupe.

Seing as I know people who dislike hats or headbands, trodenets will also find a market of people who just don't like them. This ignores people with dandruff, sensitive scalps, or other conditions that make trode use unpleasant at best.

WhiskeyMac
Just get a pair of skinlink goggles with smartlink. No need for cybereyes and it's about 200 nuyen.gif . Subscribe the goggles to the smartgun system and you're golden.

Course you can also get cybereyes rating 1 with flare comp, skinlink and smartlink for 2300 nuyen.gif and 0.20 essence. Not that bad either as the cybereyes can't really be confiscated from you like a trodenet or goggles could.
Demerzel
Some quotes:

QUOTE (p.331)
Datajacks allow users to slot and mentally access chips, softs, and BTLs.

QUOTE (p.318)
The sim module is an ASIST interface that controls the simsense experience.  It translates computer signals (simsense data) into neural signals, allowing the user to directly experience simsense programs and virtual reality (see Virtual Reality, p.228).  A sim module must be accessed via trodes or a direct neural interface (datajack, implanted commlink, etc).

QUOTE (p.321)
These recordings may then be played back and experienced by another user with a sim module.

So the implication that a BTL can be plugged right into the datajack is perhaps possible from the single sentance under datajacks. However it is unsupported by the Entry for Sim Module, and for Simsense. Linguasofts and Knowsofts specify that they can be accessed directly through the datajack.

Perhaps the only interpritaion of the first sentance from based on all three of the above quotes is that it allows you to do it, but you still need the other equipment.
hobgoblin
didnt the SR4 datajack absorb the job of the headware memory implant?

as in, with a datajack you can store vast amounts of data in your head.

ok, so you could do the same with a implant comlink, but if all you want is data storage?
Synner667
Hmmm..
..I wonder if people are aware that in Cyberpunk literature, 'trode sets are the precursor to DataJacks ??

I recall that DJs used to be usable for a lot of things - smartlink connection, neural interface for devices, accessing skillsofts, etc.

But I think you're right, I'm not sure is there's really much need for them anymore.

Just my thruppence...
JonathanC
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Some quotes:

QUOTE (p.331)
Datajacks allow users to slot and mentally access chips, softs, and BTLs.

QUOTE (p.318)
The sim module is an ASIST interface that controls the simsense experience.  It translates computer signals (simsense data) into neural signals, allowing the user to directly experience simsense programs and virtual reality (see Virtual Reality, p.228).  A sim module must be accessed via trodes or a direct neural interface (datajack, implanted commlink, etc).

QUOTE (p.321)
These recordings may then be played back and experienced by another user with a sim module.

So the implication that a BTL can be plugged right into the datajack is perhaps possible from the single sentance under datajacks. However it is unsupported by the Entry for Sim Module, and for Simsense. Linguasofts and Knowsofts specify that they can be accessed directly through the datajack.

Perhaps the only interpritaion of the first sentance from based on all three of the above quotes is that it allows you to do it, but you still need the other equipment.

I think I found the answer to what you guys are arguing about.

From SR4, page 250 (I shortened the passage for the sake of time):

"BTL chips come in two playback formats. "Dreamdeck" chips require an old-fashioned simsense deck...these are harder to come by as they are not common anymore. The second format, which is much easier to get, is the "direct input" chip...a user merely needs to slot the chip directly into an old-fashioned chipjack or datajack (no simdeck reequired).

So yes, by RAW...you're both right, in a way.
Demerzel
It's always interesting to see the stuff that got copied over from prior editions that don't exist anylonger, such as Chipjack.
Jaid
chipjacks still exist. new ones aren't going to be around much, since they've been incorporated into datajacks now, but there wasn't some plague that killed everyone who had a chipjack or anything like that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012