Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Offices.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
knasser

This was a reply to the Luddite-E-ninja thread, but I realised it was its own subject.

Isn't the whole concept of an office a little archaic? There wont be any paper files or other bits and pieces lying around that are needed for your work - everything will be electronic and thus non-location specific. Likewise with the non-location based structure of the Matrix, there's no reason why a "node" isn't connected to directly by workers all around the world and the same IC will guard worker A in his home in Seattle and worker B in his flat in Tokyo. And as to human interaction - how many companies can't afford 150 nuyen.gif for a SIM module and trodes? Bang - virtual office.

In short, I'm having trouble justifying a big office.
Moon-Hawk
For most systems, you're right, they might not need them.
Of course, if you want a self-contained network without outside connections, and wi-fi blocking paint then you need to get everyone in the same building. That disconnection is why we need hackers who come in with the team instead of deckers who sit in a van.
In other words, there will still be office buildings, but they'll be high-security isolated systems, because if they didn't need to be, then they wouldn't exist.
Right? Isn't that the logical conclusion you're shooting for?
odinson
I would wager that with 2 complete crashes, most companies would have hard copies of everything stored on their computer networks. even the virtual offices would have a building that staffed the network. they would maintain the node and then at end of shift ether print the data to paper or dump it into a electronic storage that is completely offline, like optical chips.
dionysus
I think humans are creatures of habit, and 63 years is probably not long enough for us to give up our cube farms wholesale. I think "wageslave" isn't someone who works from home, the office is a good way of keeping workers under control/observation. Not even in a high-security standpoint, but just social engineering. I think even with simsense and such, workers who have to schlep to an office every day for a 9-5 are going to be more docile and controllable than people who telecommute.

To me, the main justification is that dreary, dark office buildings full of mindless wage-zombies are necessary for the Shadowrun setting. But I think I'm more willing to sacrifice realism for story and setting than some.
Jack Kain
Not to mention they might not want information to leave the corp. If all your workers , work from home its quite easy for one of them to sell vial company info. Or for runners to just strike ay their houses. Worse someone could strike at their house steal there comlink and pretend to be them it could take years to figure that out if ever.

knasser
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
For most systems, you're right, they might not need them.
Of course, if you want a self-contained network without outside connections, and wi-fi blocking paint then you need to get everyone in the same building. That disconnection is why we need hackers who come in with the team instead of deckers who sit in a van.
In other words, there will still be office buildings, but they'll be high-security isolated systems, because if they didn't need to be, then they wouldn't exist.
Right? Isn't that the logical conclusion you're shooting for?

Not really. For a start, I don't believe the off-line office is realistic. Whilst I'm sure the megacorps would be willing to displace their key employees to achieve this, I don't think it would be useful. How many offices and projects do you think could function or be useful if there were no outside phone lines. In 2070, the equivalent is matrix connection. Now you could have the whole building wifi-inhibited and all traffic goes through a secure connection, but that's still a route in for the hacker and the way the matrix works, everything is distributed. Nodes are defined by physical security and purpose, not locality (except where that purpose is a function of locality).

So you don't gain much (any?) matrix security in return for all the costs of gathering people, making them commute, etc. Certainly not dependable security. And if there are any places that want to go these lengths, they're still going to be a small minority of businesses.

I just don't see offices existing for the most part in SR2070.
knasser
QUOTE (dionysus)
I think humans are creatures of habit, and 63 years is probably not long enough for us to give up our cube farms wholesale. I think "wageslave" isn't someone who works from home, the office is a good way of keeping workers under control/observation. Not even in a high-security standpoint, but just social engineering. I think even with simsense and such, workers who have to schlep to an office every day for a 9-5 are going to be more docile and controllable than people who telecommute.

No that's far less efficient. If you want to monitor someone's productivity / activity, I can give you tools right now today that will track keyboard activity, file access, etc. etc. That commuting time is wasted time and time that you have to pay for by grudginely keeping the employees wages high enough to pay for the travelling.

In 2070, I can't believe there are many office workers doing dull routine work like adding up figures and returning accounts. The company's expert systems will pull out whatever is needed on demand. It will even file accounts information to your bank, taxman, etc., automatically. Any office work that's being done in 2070 is going to be work that you want a comfortable, non-distracted, non-tired employee performing. Not "Mr. I was stuck in traffic and now I'm late."

And we haven't even considered the enormous cost savings in working from home. Trust me on this one - it costs a lot to run a big building of staff.
Moon-Hawk
Are you saying that a company wouldn't do something stupid and inefficient simply because it's run by stubborn old men? 'Cause I find that scenario tragically believable.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
Not to mention they might not want information to leave the corp. If all your workers , work from home its quite easy for one of them to sell vial company info. Or for runners to just strike ay their houses. Worse someone could strike at their house steal there comlink and pretend to be them it could take years to figure that out if ever.

secondary question then is, where is said home located?

A+ corps could probably own walled garden enclaves where the workers have their whole life, no need to leave corp territory.

dont forget, any outside signal device have to be within range of the lowest rating device to maintain effective communication. so by having all corp "issue" comlinks have a very low signal rating, one can build a "firewall" around the enclave.

any data going in or out will be investigated. and given how encryption works in SR, forget about trying that...

so, if you want to get your hands on the data, you have to break in...
Kyoto Kid
...like the MetaTech Village that I worked up for a run scenario a while back.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ May 11 2007, 06:05 PM)

secondary question then is, where is said home located?

A+ corps could probably own walled garden enclaves where the workers have their whole life, no need to leave corp territory.

dont forget, any outside signal device have to be within range of the lowest rating device to maintain effective communication. so by having all corp "issue" comlinks have a very low signal rating, one can build a "firewall" around the enclave.

any data going in or out will be investigated. and given how encryption works in SR, forget about trying that...

so, if you want to get your hands on the data, you have to break in...

You do remember the matrix right? If they are working from home they'd have matrix access and could link up to the office from their. Which was the point of why don't they just do telecommuting.

And a enclave would just be an office with more homely feel, if the comlinks have to be within signal range of each other. As the signal ranges have to be close to each other if your not using the matrix. Your right back to an office building.

Its quite expensive to have those enclaves it much cheaper to just have an office and have your employees come in to work and monitor them at home. Most corp workers don't live in enclaves other wise the corp territory would be larger then all the nations.

I was responding to why they still have offices and the problems with working at home. Not that they DO.
knasser
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

This is a world where you can store movies in your shirt. Making an employee come all the way into work is not going to prevent them stealing data. And as to the security of people targetting employees in their homes, well that can happen anyway. People don't take work home with them? People at other offices don't want to connect in remotely? Even today, we're seeing virtual private networks coming into common use. Offices at different sites share their data invisibly. How much more so in the megacorporate world of 2070 ? No IT department is going to make their manager go all the way to the next city or even country to check up on things. And calling the site up brings us straight back to the matrix connection.

I'm just really not convinced that the disconnected office is feasible and that's the only reason people are giving me for the gross, costly inefficiency of running a big office for all your employees and making them trundle in and out twice a day.

There might be some highly paranoid labs that force everyone on site, but the vast, vast, vast majority of businesses have no good justification for running more than a skeleton office. Offices in SR2070 being anything other than a rare exception just doesn't make sense.
fistandantilus4.0
workers who have to schlep to an office every day for a 9-5 are going to be more docile and controllable than people who telecommute.

Having worked in these sort of places before, I can tell you two big reasons a lot of places don't do telecommuting. First is productivity. People do work more in the office. Yes they can track key strokes, work out put, etc. They do that in offices these days all over the place. Companies are constantyl having to be on employees to make sure that they're meeting performance goals. People still don't make them, sitting right there in the office. With the distractoins at hime, that's going to be even more of an issue. If they have to fire the person for not producing, then they have to hire someone else.

It can take thousands of dollares to hire a new emploee, especailly when you factor in advertisement costs, hiring processes, back ground checks, and training. $3000 to bring in a new employee is not unusual. There are people that hire on to jobs like call centers just to go to the training, and then quit, and go for another similar company, go to the training, rinse repeat. Obviously it's something different for say a computer programmer since there isn't going to be training involved.

Second problem is security. All that firewall work and wi-fi blocking paint and on and on is going to be a big waste of money if you've got hundreds of employees signing on all over the 'plex. Much more secure to have all of the access points in the same area. There's also the issue of managerial over sight. Much more effective to walk down an aisle to chew someone out then call them.
hobgoblin
one thing that comes to mind:
there is no "one size fits all"

as in, different solutions for different tasks.

what is the "office" there for?

when one knows that, one can judge the security and staff needed.

also, whats the chance of said building being both the office and the home? as in, having some floors be the office area, and some floors the apartments of the staff? its a single building, but also a kind of enclave wink.gif
Cheops
QUOTE (knasser)
That commuting time is wasted time and time that you have to pay for by grudginely keeping the employees wages high enough to pay for the travelling.

This is an erroneous statement. You base it on the assumption that the company bears any cost whatsoever for commute time. That is not the case. A PROGRESSIVE company in which you work at a PROGRESSIVE POSITION might offer some form of compensation for your commute time but it's not likely. The cost of commuting is born almost entirely by the worker and the worker's home government. Ooops, you're a Renraku citizen? Sorry we don't offer mileage and gas tax credits for commuting/sales calls.

You also have to keep in mind vis a vis paper output what the legal climate might be like. I find it hard to believe that the UCAS IRS, SEC, and Law Courts don't require a physical copy of contracts and filings. Most things will be 100% electronic in 2070 but there is probably still a requirement to have certain key documents in paper. Not to mention the ease with which an electronic copy can be messed with. "Hey, Ares! You didn't follow the letter of this contract with us!" "But that's not the contract we signed, see here's our copy." Call the lawyers.

I have to agree with Fist on the issue of productivity. At work the distractions are limited to whatever the company puts on your computer and your coworkers. At home there are nearly inifinitely more distractions, not to mention you can write a program to spoof the keystroke counting program. On top of all that it is much easier to chew out an employee face to face. When you tele-yell it doesn't have the same effect. Same goes for instructions, tasks, and meetings. It is much harder to keep people focused and productive when they aren't gathered together in a work place.
2bit
QUOTE (knasser)
Now you could have the whole building wifi-inhibited and all traffic goes through a secure connection, but that's still a route in for the hacker and the way the matrix works, everything is distributed. Nodes are defined by physical security and purpose, not locality (except where that purpose is a function of locality).

So you don't gain much (any?) matrix security in return for all the costs of gathering people, making them commute, etc. Certainly not dependable security. And if there are any places that want to go these lengths, they're still going to be a small minority of businesses.

I just don't see offices existing for the most part in SR2070.

Employees working from home seems like a security nightmare. I can't imagine any business doing work it deems valuable to anyone (ie. shareholders) advocating this arrangement, especially in a world like Shadowrun. How can you consider having your employees store potentially valuable data off site??

A "run of the mill" wi-fi-inhibited office building routing its traffice through a secure connection isn't perfect, but it's a much more protective arrangement. The network the building uses to communicate with the outside world is a route in for a hacker, yes, but so what? You have to get access to that network in order to see anything behind the wi-fi blockers. I'm not sure what point you're making by saying that everything is distributed.

Backgammon
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Having worked in these sort of places before, I can tell you two big reasons a lot of places don't do telecommuting. First is productivity. People do work more in the office. Yes they can track key strokes, work out put, etc. They do that in offices these days all over the place. Companies are constantyl having to be on employees to make sure that they're meeting performance goals. People still don't make them, sitting right there in the office. With the distractoins at hime, that's going to be even more of an issue. If they have to fire the person for not producing, then they have to hire someone else.

Your first point is completely invalidated by the Matrix's virtual reality. A number of people seem to have the image of a guy typing in front of his monitor from home being what teleworking in 2070 is like.

There is no screen! You jack in and appear in a completely true-to life replicated work environment. You ARE in a cubicle. You boss DOES walk around and talk to you. It's almost exactly like being in an office, except your boss can track even MORE info about you, not less.

Whatever productivity is available from employees all physically present in one building can be achieved, and surpassed, by Matrix teleworking.
knasser

EDIT: Backgammon beat me to some of what I was going to say. But I forgive him because he put it better than I was going to. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cheops)
QUOTE (knasser @ May 11 2007, 05:15 PM)
That commuting time is wasted time and time that you have to pay for by grudginely keeping the employees wages high enough to pay for the travelling.

This is an erroneous statement. You base it on the assumption that the company bears any cost whatsoever for commute time. That is not the case.

Yes it is and I explicitly stated: you have to pay for by grudginely keeping the employees wages high enough to pay for the travelling.

The employee's profit is Wage - Cost of Living. If the Cost of Living goes up because of the expense of commuting all the time, then wage has to be higher to maintain the same profit. Now if you're saying that the company wants to ideally leave the employee with only enough to cover cost of living, then fine. But the cost of living is going to be a lower figure if the company can avoid the employee having to travel in and out every day. That seems simple enough to me. And when competing for the same employees the company that allows telecommuting effectivly offers a substantially higher salary to its employees than the company that doesn't even though that other company is actually paying their employee the same amount. Again, that seems simple enough.

As to the requirement to have paper copies, I don't see what that has to do with telecommuting at all. You can print it out at the other end just as easily as you can print it out on the desk next to you. Though that said, I find it hard to believe that paper copies are necessary or signatures required. There are far more effective electronic ways of confirming authenticity than a bit of coloured ink on a page.

On productivity, I refer you to my earlier point that any office work that needs to be done by humans in 2070 cannot be routine work. It has to be special if a programe can't do it cheaper. Something that can translate spoken dialogue in a foreign language in real time and get the nuances right costs 1,000 nuyen.gif in 2070. Can you imagine what the accounting software does? So I imagine the office workres of 2070 must be doing something at least a little innovative. Speaking personally, I sometimes choose to work from home because I get more done. I see no reason why a culture of telecommuting wouldn't be effective due to an inability to yell at people. Not that I agree you can't - I imagine SIMsense yelling can be pretty darn effective when you have a three foot hologram of your angry face over your employee's desk.

The comment about spoofing key strokes is meaningless unless you're suggesting that the program you wrote is producing meaningful work that can't be analysed by the software. And if it is, then I'd certainly hire you.

I'm sorry folks, but lack of an ability to yell at people in person is not a sufficient counter-balance in my mind to not having to cover heating costs, lighting costs, ground rent, building rent or building purchase or building construction, cleaners, toilet facilities, parking areas, kitchen areas, health and safety, insurance, increased wages to cover the cost of employee travel, not being able to casually trade workers as needed with other branches or offices, not being able to make employees work even when too ill to come in physically or when in hospital, employees being late in, not being able to have your employees "present" whenever needed. I'm sure I can think of more, if I try. This is off the top of my head. I know that some of my people have relished the usefulness of being able to access our systems from home. It's been a big boost to productivity.

I'll post something on the security angle a little later, when I have time.

-K.
knasser
QUOTE (Backgammon)
There is no screen! You jack in and appear in a completely true-to life replicated work environment. You ARE in a cubicle. You boss DOES walk around and talk to you. It's almost exactly like being in an office, except your boss can track even MORE info about you, not less.

Heh! How hard would you work if you knew that you Boss ran Stealth rating 4 on his commlink? biggrin.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ May 11 2007, 07:58 PM)

Heh! How hard would you work if you knew that you Boss ran Stealth rating 4 on his commlink? biggrin.gif

unless he was actually present most of the time, probably not any harder... out of sight, out of mind, and all that.

the *real* question is, how much harder would you work if your base had a bunch of agents at his disposal running stealth 4 and analyse 4, constantly reporting on what employees are doing? nyahnyah.gif
hobgoblin
heh, ninja trained corp inspection service wink.gif
Cheops
QUOTE (knasser)

As to the requirement to have paper copies, I don't see what that has to do with telecommuting at all. You can print it out at the other end just as easily as you can print it out on the desk next to you. Though that said, I find it hard to believe that paper copies are necessary or signatures required. There are far more effective electronic ways of confirming authenticity than a bit of coloured ink on a page.

On productivity, I refer you to my earlier point that any office work that needs to be done by humans in 2070 cannot be routine work. It has to be special if a programe can't do it cheaper. Something that can translate spoken dialogue in a foreign language in real time and get the nuances right costs 1,000 nuyen.gif in 2070. Can you imagine what the accounting software does? So I imagine the office workres of 2070 must be doing something at least a little innovative. Speaking personally, I sometimes choose to work from home because I get more done. I see no reason why a culture of telecommuting wouldn't be effective due to an inability to yell at people. Not that I agree you can't - I imagine SIMsense yelling can be pretty darn effective when you have a three foot hologram of your angry face over your employee's desk.

The comment about spoofing key strokes is meaningless unless you're suggesting that the program you wrote is producing meaningful work that can't be analysed by the software. And if it is, then I'd certainly hire you.

I'm sorry folks, but lack of an ability to yell at people in person is not a sufficient counter-balance in my mind to not having to cover heating costs, lighting costs, ground rent, building rent or building purchase or building construction, cleaners, toilet facilities, parking areas, kitchen areas, health and safety, insurance, increased wages to cover the cost of employee travel, not being able to casually trade workers as needed with other branches or offices, not being able to make employees work even when too ill to come in physically or when in hospital, employees being late in, not being able to have your employees "present" whenever needed. I'm sure I can think of more, if I try. This is off the top of my head. I know that some of my people have relished the usefulness of being able to access our systems from home. It's been a big boost to productivity.

-K.

QUOTE (Cheops)
QUOTE (knasser @ May 11 2007, 05:15 PM)

This is an erroneous statement. You base it on the assumption that the company bears any cost whatsoever for commute time. That is not the case.

Yes it is and I explicitly stated: you have to pay for by grudginely keeping the employees wages high enough to pay for the travelling.

The employee's profit is Wage - Cost of Living. If the Cost of Living goes up because of the expense of commuting all the time, then wage has to be higher to maintain the same profit. Now if you're saying that the company wants to ideally leave the employee with only enough to cover cost of living, then fine. But the cost of living is going to be a lower figure if the company can avoid the employee having to travel in and out every day. That seems simple enough to me. And when competing for the same employees the company that allows telecommuting effectivly offers a substantially higher salary to its employees than the company that doesn't even though that other company is actually paying their employee the same amount. Again, that seems simple enough.>>>

Again you are wrong. The reason people commute to work in the first place is because they are living somewhere that ALREADY has a lower cost of living. Only the super rich live somewhere where the cost of living is higher BEFORE commuting into work (or else those who are somehow restricted in their choice of living. Here's an SR example. Assume it is cheaper to live in Tacoma than it is to live Downtown. Now assume that all the jobs are Downtown. Not everyone can afford to live Downtown so they move out to Tacoma where the Cost of Living is cheaper than Downtown. If the cost of commuting is less than the difference between living downtown and living in tacoma then people start flocking to tacoma. This is a basic principle of Suburbanization. The cost is not borne by the company. It is born by the employee.

Skill level is what determines your wages. It takes more skill to be an accountant than it does to flip burgers. So the accountant gets paid more than the McEmployee. The McEmployee is forced to live near to his work and probably take public transit. The cost of living near the skyscraper is high so the accountant moves to the 'burbs. His cost of living in the burbs + commute expenses is still less than cost of living downtown. His wages don't change at all. All he could possibly get would be some tax credits.

I think however that I'm going to stop arguing this topic with you because looking at your further comments I can tell that you are firmly entrenched in your view of how things should work and won't budge.
Jack Kain
In todays world.
Many offices don't actually allow you to take your work home with you. (that doesn't mean people don't do it).
The reason being security issues at home.

What good is saving money on paying employees to come into work if all your data is stolen when a chip-head robs employee 7617BD house and steals his comlink and sells it to a Fixer. You already have problems with shadowrunners not you want just regular criminals to have the chance to swip that stuff.

Hey that makes the run easy, mug the guy and steal his comlink on his way to the bar.

Knasser you claim that it has to be something special for it not to be done by computers.
(well then what does 99% of the worlds SINers do for a living?)
Then why would they take such a huge security risk as having them work from home. If they get robbed all that work can go with it.

If you don't buy all the reasons for going into the office.
DISPEL YOUR DISBELIEF!!!!

IT IS A FACT they exist in Shadowrun, you can't dispute it anymore then you can dispute the existence of a cyberarm.
Telecommuting from home sounds like this warm fuzzy future. not shadowrun.

Your cost of living argument also assumes if they work from home. They never have to leave home. Well I'm sure the exec's can afford to have food and anything else delivered most can't so they need money for transportation anyway the cost of going into work is nothing compared to the working from home security issues which can NEVER BE SOLVED.

hobgoblin

the warm fuzzy that only a corp wageslave can get, not a freelance runner or other non-corp...

that is the element not to forget, sell your "soul" to the corp or stay free but potentially hungry and cold?

as for cost of transportation. have a noodle shop on one floor, have the offices on other floors, toss the apartments of the workers on the rest of the floors (with the penthouse being for the CEO or similar high up person...

its incredible what you can fit inside a tower these days wink.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Cheops)
I think however that I'm going to stop arguing this topic with you because looking at your further comments I can tell that you are firmly entrenched in your view of how things should work and won't budge.

Please don't. Or at least don't because you think it is a useless online argument. I appreciate comments and I didn't start this thread so that I could have a lot of people saying "Gosh - you're so right." What good would that be? I do think currently that offices don't make sense in the SR2070 setting and I'll argue against any counter-arguments people come up with until I find one that I can't. And if someone comes up with a solid reason why offices make sense, then I will have benefited. You have my word that I'm being objective and I'm sorry if it has sounded otherwise. I still don't agree with your point about cost of living and I'm about to say why in more detail. But don't think I don't appreciate hearing it. And remember that there are a lot of people who read these threads and if I'm spouting rubbish then you contradicting me offers others a counterargument that might be useful to them. And to bring in Jack Kain's point as well:

QUOTE (Jack Kain)

If you don't buy all the reasons for going into the office.
DISPEL YOUR DISBELIEF!!!!

IT IS A FACT they exist in Shadowrun, you can't dispute it anymore then you can dispute the existence of a cyberarm.

We have had several debates on how cyberarms work. Also magic and economics. We could suspend disbelief for all of them and not consider the how and why, but I think we've several times thrashed out nice fluff explanations for something that would otherwise just be arbitrary and made the Shadowrun world that bit more believable as a result. Now I've come up with lots of material to make sense of some of the matrix and cyberware. I haven't been able to make sense of offices given the technology available. Yes - it's a game and I can do as you do and turn a blind eye, but for purposes of this thread, I'm interested in finding something that is internally consistent with the setting. I'll therefore argue against anything that doesn't make sense to me, but I very much don't want anyone thinking it's a personal attack on them or that I'm going to stick dogmatically to some point of view.

I'll go with wherever the argument leads. I'm afraid at the moment, it leads me to believe that there is no good reason for there to be more than a small handful of offices and I do feel that there is yet to be a good case against this.
fistandantilus4.0
Backgammon makes a good point on VR telecommuting. I ahdn't really thoguht about that part admittedly. However as security crazy as the corps are, I still see the security aspect being a huge part of it. Even if they have to access the system through a choke point, there's still going to be a lot of intel on their commlinks and home systems. It would be so much easier for a runner team to just grab some guy's home comp than breaking in to a facility. It's a simplification, but still valid.
knasser
QUOTE (Cheops)
Again you are wrong. The reason people commute to work in the first place is because they are living somewhere that ALREADY has a lower cost of living. Only the super rich live somewhere where the cost of living is higher BEFORE commuting into work (or else those who are somehow restricted in their choice of living. Here's an SR example. Assume it is cheaper to live in Tacoma than it is to live Downtown. Now assume that all the jobs are Downtown. Not everyone can afford to live Downtown so they move out to Tacoma where the Cost of Living is cheaper than Downtown. If the cost of commuting is less than the difference between living downtown and living in tacoma then people start flocking to tacoma. This is a basic principle of Suburbanization. The cost is not borne by the company. It is born by the employee.

Skill level is what determines your wages. It takes more skill to be an accountant than it does to flip burgers. So the accountant gets paid more than the McEmployee. The McEmployee is forced to live near to his work and probably take public transit. The cost of living near the skyscraper is high so the accountant moves to the 'burbs. His cost of living in the burbs + commute expenses is still less than cost of living downtown. His wages don't change at all. All he could possibly get would be some tax credits.

I'm really not getting your point, here. It doesn't matter where you live. If you don't have to commute, you have saved money. Do you think that the worker is not commuting because she is living closer to work and is therefore losing the saved money on higher rents?

That's very much not what I'm saying. Worker A lives in Tacoma and has to commute to Downtown. It costs him a certain amount of money which must be translated into wages because the wages have to be enough for him to carry on working. Worker B lives in Tacoma and telecommutes. He can be paid less because his cost of living is lower. That is to say, worker C who is not yet employed by either company can take a job at the first company earning X nuyen or a job at the second company earning less than X and they will be equivalent to him.

Offer telecommuting on a regular basis and you have the same attractive power to a worker as a company that pays more but doesn't offer telecommuting. It doesn't matter where you live. And in fact, the telecommuter can afford to live out in the sticks where the rent is dirt cheap and really save some money.

Telecommuting is a big saver for the company not only through all the many costs of running a large enough office to contain all of your workers, but also through the fact that you can pay less on salaries and still get the same result in terms of recruiting, retaining staff etcetera.

I'll address the security thing when I've finished writing up a longer post on it.
Spike
A huge one I think you are missing, Knasser, is to me the strongest: Human Psychology.

It doesn't matter if it is possible for every worker to commute from the home, and thus avoid the expense of physical offices, bosses still want to see their people, people still want to interact with their co-workers.

Ah, you say, now with reality filters and virtual offices it's 'just like'.

only... its not. Not to the 60 year old CEO who might just have a problem getting used to the new fangled stuff (wireless is, what, seven years old in canon? Most corporate HQ's are older than that...), and many of his underlings will feel the same way.

Never mind that people still like their 'turf'. that big imposing corporate HQ might be a huge money sink, but it tells people 'Yo, we OWN this spot. We are HERE, Biatch!'... and that's not about to change just because someone can make a virtual office building that looks mighty impressive... in virtual. Partly because that virtual office building? Yeah, there are thousands of those, and they can go away as fast as they came. A physical building is a much tougher nut.

Maybe there aren't that many physically present employees. Maybe there are. Especially if you already have the space for them to work from. Then there are the jobs that are best done 'on site' Sure, your phone operators and secretaries COULD work from home, maybe even as efficently, but that doesn't mean you really really want them too.

Then there is the human services, receptionists and the like. People like meeting other people, shaking their hands even. Shareholders like seeing busy, well appointed offices full of busy people.
Cheops
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Cheops @ May 11 2007, 08:49 PM)
Again you are wrong.  The reason people commute to work in the first place is because they are living somewhere that ALREADY has a lower cost of living.  Only the super rich live somewhere where the cost of living is higher BEFORE commuting into work (or else those who are somehow restricted in their choice of living.  Here's an SR example.  Assume it is cheaper to live in Tacoma than it is to live Downtown.  Now assume that all the jobs are Downtown.  Not everyone can afford to live Downtown so they move out to Tacoma where the Cost of Living is cheaper than Downtown.  If the cost of commuting is less than the difference between living downtown and living in tacoma then people start flocking to tacoma.  This is a basic principle of Suburbanization.  The cost is not borne by the company.  It is born by the employee.

Skill level is what determines your wages.  It takes more skill to be an accountant than it does to flip burgers.  So the accountant gets paid more than the McEmployee.  The McEmployee is forced to live near to his work and probably take public transit.  The cost of living near the skyscraper is high so the accountant moves to the 'burbs.  His cost of living in the burbs + commute expenses is still less than cost of living downtown.  His wages don't change at all.  All he could possibly get would be some tax credits.

I'm really not getting your point, here. It doesn't matter where you live. If you don't have to commute, you have saved money. Do you think that the worker is not commuting because she is living closer to work and is therefore losing the saved money on higher rents?

That's very much not what I'm saying. Worker A lives in Tacoma and has to commute to Downtown. It costs him a certain amount of money which must be translated into wages because the wages have to be enough for him to carry on working. Worker B lives in Tacoma and telecommutes. He can be paid less because his cost of living is lower. That is to say, worker C who is not yet employed by either company can take a job at the first company earning X nuyen or a job at the second company earning less than X and they will be equivalent to him.

Offer telecommuting on a regular basis and you have the same attractive power to a worker as a company that pays more but doesn't offer telecommuting. It doesn't matter where you live. And in fact, the telecommuter can afford to live out in the sticks where the rent is dirt cheap and really save some money.

Telecommuting is a big saver for the company not only through all the many costs of running a large enough office to contain all of your workers, but also through the fact that you can pay less on salaries and still get the same result in terms of recruiting, retaining staff etcetera.

I'll address the security thing when I've finished writing up a longer post on it.

Ahhh...now I understand you. You didn't make yourself very clear earlier. We were arguing a similar point from 2 different ends. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I still don't think telecommuting would have much of an impact on wages however. For the megas it is more important for them to "assimilate" their workers into their "nations." Don't decrease their wages but let them live on company property and shop at the company store. What you lose in the cost of wages is more than made up in the revenue of consumption. At this point telecommuting as a term is irrelevant. You live at work. Hence arcologies.

Oh man! I just had an even better thought. Employee citizens would pay taxes and EI/PP deductions to the corporation. Yikes! Corporate banks must have a field day with stuff like that. Mind you the corps probably aren't taxing their citizens in order to make it more attractive to "sell out" but the potential is incredible. Especially since you mooch the infrastructure off of the host government thereby lowering what you need to support.
silentmaster101
although a corperate hq is extraterritorial thus can be "protected" better, and if someone breaks into the one house of an employee that lives off their turf and they cant do anything direct about it.
Thane36425
Of course they still have offices. Today, with the tech we have, it is possible to disperse. However, people still need to communicate. The problem is, that emails and IMs distract people from their work and also aren't as effective at communicating orders and such effectively compared to a face to face delivery. So yes, many places still would have offices for those reasons.

Others have good points too. With hacking as easy as it is in SR4, telecommuting would be very vulnerable and require lots of extra security on the home terminals and the Corp systems. It would be much cheapers to make the wage slaves come in to a mostly wired office with an intranet with limited or no connection to the Matrix and wi-fi shielding in the walls. The senior players could have home terminals as part of their perks, with all the security it needs.
knasser
QUOTE (Cheops)

Ahhh...now I understand you. You didn't make yourself very clear earlier. We were arguing a similar point from 2 different ends. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

There's a natural tendancy in online forums to assume that any post that replies to your own is disagreeing with you, I think. wink.gif

As you say, it may not have massive impact on wages. I've said all along that I think the main advantages lie elsewhere. But it's not going to increase them and it has a strong attraction to skilled workers. I wont belabour the point any further that I think 2070 office workers are skilled. But suffice it to say that a lot of people are going to prefer the place with the telecommute option. Megacorps might have all sorts of nasty ways of forcing people to work for them no matter the conditions, but I think smaller A corps, government organisations and others might care a lot about enticing in skilled staff.

I think the best argument so far has been that the megacorps will want to see a big impressive head office. I can see that one, actually. But over the last year, I've authorised seven people for remote access to our site and know first hand just how massively convenient and helpful it is.
Jaid
there's more than just the cost of transportation in terms of money... don't forget the lower cost in *time*.

i've known people who have a 1 hour commute to work. one way.

imagine what you could do with 2 extra hours a day. even if you just don't want to do anything at all, that would be 2 hours of relaxation.

even a commute as short as 10 minutes one way is meaningful... furthermore, there's reduced time involved in getting ready for work. you could just roll out of bed, eat breakfast, and get to work nyahnyah.gif heck, if you have someone (or a drone) to bring breakfast to you, you can even skip rolling out of bed wink.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Jaid)
even a commute as short as 10 minutes one way is meaningful... furthermore, there's reduced time involved in getting ready for work. you could just roll out of bed, eat breakfast, and get to work nyahnyah.gif heck, if you have someone (or a drone) to bring breakfast to you, you can even skip rolling out of bed wink.gif

I had that. For six blissful months, I worked from home, just me and my spreadsheets.

And I lived next door to a swimming bath as well so I'd get up around 6:50. Be in the pool at 7:00. Swim for an hour. Go home, shower, eat breakfast and be working from 8:30am onwards. Knock off at 4:30 and found I was already home and ready to get ready to go out. smile.gif Not only that, but I have my kitchen there with a well stocked fridge so there was no searching around lousy local shops for an overpriced, unhealthy sandwich.

That set up was probably worth a grand or two on my salary, imo.
kzt
QUOTE (knasser)
Though that said, I find it hard to believe that paper copies are necessary or signatures required. There are far more effective electronic ways of confirming authenticity than a bit of coloured ink on a page.

The problem is that these can be perfectly forged in several action phases. And there is no secure VPN possible in shadowrun because the the brain virus that apparently makes people only use ROT13 and XOR encryption so "hackers" don't have to work.
mfb
dude, there is widely-available graphical software in SR powerful enough to generate realistic-looking video images on the fly in seconds. falsifying a handwritten signature, in SR, is something a ten year-old could do on his Gameboy.
hobgoblin
hell, do they not make pre-signed letters these days?

all it takes is a high rez scan of the sig, and a equally high rez printer wink.gif

as for computer security, IC. nothing says back of to someone snooping on some VPN traffic like a gray or black style IC wink.gif

as in, the encryption is there to slow the hacker down while the IC kicks him offline. maybe even track his physical location so that lone star or corp sec can go grab him.

think of its this way, a node is a virtual construct. a digital building, fortress or border. when a comlink is VPN'd into a corp node, it becomes part of said node. a node can be encrypted. so the hacker needs to decrypt the access before getting in to the node.

thing is, the book talks about IC being incorporated into some encryption variants. so it could be that when the hacker attempts to decrypt, the IC pounce.

ok, so you could in theory grab the datastream between the tele-commuter and the office. but if the files are stored on the office system, and the user is in AR or VR. you would at best get the parts the user is looking at, and you would have to dig that out of the ASIST traffic.

thats kinda like grabbing a telnet stream to get at the corp files, you only see what the user see.

the big problem is that SR4 is trying to merge real life concepts with cyberpunk writing. take a look at hardwired, where the "hacker" doing overwatch on a money transfer talk about riding the data as it travels.

that takes the objectification of data to the extreme. its like thinking of data transfer as if it was a truck driving between locations. and it talks about messages being tagged to them and similar.

it may even be that the hackers of SR are so removed from the inner workings of the comlinks, that they no longer read "binary" so to speak.

hell, look at real life today. there are more people building programs using RAD tools then there are using lower level tools.

the encryption of SR may well not be designed to keep the top 10% of the world out, but the rabble out. they will look at the encrypted stuff, go "hell no!" and move on. just the same as when a burglar finds a sticker on a window saying alarm and walk of to find a easier target.

in many ways encryption in SR smells like DRM wink.gif it can be broken if you bother to try, but if you dont it kinda works...

thats really the problem. SR seems to deceptively similar to the real world but went off road, and keep going that way, since the first crash.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
dude, there is widely-available graphical software in SR powerful enough to generate realistic-looking video images on the fly in seconds. falsifying a handwritten signature, in SR, is something a ten year-old could do on his Gameboy.

Only if he prints it... which only fools the casual observer.
Actually forging a handwritten signature takes the Forgery Skill.
knasser
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (knasser @ May 11 2007, 01:00 PM)
Though that said, I find it hard to believe that paper copies are necessary or signatures required. There are far more effective electronic ways of confirming authenticity than a bit of coloured ink on a page.

The problem is that these can be perfectly forged in several action phases.

Can they? But I didn't specify what these electronic means are. For a start, a very obvious solution is to store copies, verified at the time with trusted third parties. The Corporate Court could serve such a function. So could many banks. solicitors, etc.

Digital signing of documents will be the way to go.

But again, I don't see how this affects the virtual office in any significant way. Unless the company / government / whatever that you're doing business with happens to share an office building with you (unlikely) then the signed document would have to be sent elsewhere anyway. So what's the significance of doing this from home?

Margaret Atwood did a book signing in five countries at once last year, using a machine that mirrored her pen movements thousands of miles away. If you're really insistent on signatures being necessary in 2070, which I'm really not in agreement with, it's certainly no issue as far as the virtual office is concerned.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (knasser)
Margaret Atwood did a book signing in five countries at once last year, using a machine that mirrored her pen movements thousands of miles away. If you're really insistent on signatures being necessary in 2070, which I'm really not in agreement with, it's certainly no issue as far as the virtual office is concerned.

Because it only takes one hacker eavesdropping on that connection to create the perfect sample of your signature.
mfb
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (mfb @ May 12 2007, 05:34 AM)

Only if he prints it... which only fools the casual observer.
Actually forging a handwritten signature takes the Forgery Skill.

in most cases where a forged signature is actually necessary, the person you're trying to fool won't even look at the signature. on the back of all my credit cards, in the signature space, i print ASK FOR ID. i can count on my fingers the number of times i've actually been asked for my ID when making a credit card purchase. you could, in most cases where you'd want to forge a signature, scrawl "Santa Claus" illegibly in the signature spot and get away with it. or, for that matter, print a copy of the signature in the slot with a laser printer.

i'm not arguing the rules, just saying that they're not really all that accurate in the vast majority of cases. sure, there are occasions where you'd want the signature to look very real (in which case, lacking the Forgery skill, i'd just have a drone with a robot arm indent the signature onto the page prior to printing, in order to make the signature appear handwritten), but signatures are seriously overrated as a measure of authenticity.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
in most cases where a forged signature is actually necessary, the person you're trying to fool won't even look at the signature. on the back of all my credit cards, in the signature space, i print ASK FOR ID. i can count on my fingers the number of times i've actually been asked for my ID when making a credit card purchase. you could, in most cases where you'd want to forge a signature, scrawl "Santa Claus" illegibly in the signature spot and get away with it. or, for that matter, print a copy of the signature in the slot with a laser printer.

Yeah, I know those US credit card stories. It's not like that everywhere else, though.

But we are not talking about consumer purchases here - we are talking about business contracts important enough to actually come there in person and sign a special paper.
Of course, most of the time this includes notarial seeling, drekcetera.
knasser
QUOTE (Fistandantilus3.0)
Second problem is security. All that firewall work and wi-fi blocking paint and on and on is going to be a big waste of money if you've got hundreds of employees signing on all over the 'plex.

Now that's a cart before the horse argument if ever there was one: If the security measures weren't useful, they wouldn't be bought in the first place. You don't buy something that doesn't suit you and then make yourself less efficient so that you haven't wasted your money. Not if you're a surviving business, you don't.

QUOTE (Fistandantilus3.0)

Much more secure to have all of the access points in the same area.

But, and this is a point I made right at the beginning that I don't think anyone is getting - the matrix is distributed. Hobgoblin made the same point while I was busy writing up this longer version and he's absolutely right: A node is not necessarily a machine in your office. It can represent an entire network. Perhaps what we today call a virtual private network. And it can have IC sitting on it just the same as most other nodes can. So the wageslaves all log in to the node and get the benefits of the security of that node. This sort of stuff tends to bring out the rules arguments so I'll go through a worked example.

First we set up our office node. This node represents a network of computers. Some at a headquarters somewhere, and some being the commlinks of all the wageslaves. Can a node be a network? Yes -

QUOTE (SR4 @ pg.216)

Node—Any device or network that can be accessed.

QUOTE (SR4 @ pg.208)

In order to enter some nodes (devices or networks), howev-
er—especially private ones—you must actually log in to an
account.

In addition, it makes sense because we know a node can contain numerous terminals. Physical distance is not really going to make much difference. If the idea of commlinks being part of this bothers you, then remember that 2070 homes have a term (SR4,pg.206) and you can use that instead if you prefer. It's can be just a terminal the same as you'd find in your office.

Lets give our Office Node attributes as follows:
Response 5
Firewall 5
System 5

That's a pretty good node. Lets give it a bit of IC just to be safe:
Pilot 5, Analyse 5, Armour 5, Blackout 5.

Now that could hurt someone.

Bob Wageslave sits at his term at home and gets to work using AR and VR as needed and the company saves a bundle.

Hacker Eve (I'm so using this name for a character) wants to get some juicy data from the node. What does she do? Well lets say she goes and parks outside Bob's flat, in signal range of his term. Well for a start, the term is likely to be wired directly into the backbone of the matrix. It is a fixture in the user's house after all. But I suppose it has a wireless connection for devices in the house, so we'll allow her to park really close and connect up. Alternately the home user might be using his commlink. In any case, I just wanted to point out that there are ways of countering some of the snooping of wireless traffic with at least some hope of success.

Having got in signal range of the traffic, she needs to get the data. There are two approaches here. Hack the node or sniff the data stream. Seeing as most people are fixing on the "outside the wireless paint of the office - oh no!" issue, we'll deal with the second case first.

We can assume the security conscious company has it operating in hidden mode as standard practice. That's an Electronic Warfare + Scan (4) roll. We'll allow it, but I mention it just so we're clear that sometimes the hacker will fail at this.

We can also assume that the signal is encrypted so before we can intercept it we have to break the encryption (SR4,pg.225). We'll stick with an encryption rating of 5, in line with our node so that's a Decrypt + Response (10, 1 combat turn) roll. A good hacker with a dice pool of 10 will probably succeed quite quickly, but could glitch. This is then followed by the intercept test: Electronic Warfare + Sniffer (3) test. Again, Eve will probably succeed. What does she now get? If Bob is in AR or VR mode, she'll at best get lots of images of whatever he's working on. She can record this and might get some useful data. But what she can't get are data files themselves. What she can't do is go roaming on her own initiative. Bob's term is nothing but a glorified keyboard and screen. Everthing that's happening is actually happening on the node.

Now the more useful and traditional approach is to hack the node. In this case, the initial roll to detect the node is the same Electronic Warfare + Scan (4) roll. But after that, we can go straight to trying to break in to the node. That's a Hacking + Exploit (10,1 hour) test. If successful then she's in, though the node gets a free Analyse + Firewall (Eve's Stealth Rating) test. And the IC might well still have to be dealt with. She can get her files now, but she could easily get herself in trouble.

The point is that you should compare this to just wandering over to the company node in VR from the safety of your own home. The GM might want a roll to find the node, but it really shouldn't be too hard to locate the office building and from that point on it's not going to be any different to hacking the node from outside an employee's home. The same roll to hack the node. The same IC to deal with. You can say there will be some sort of choke point access to the site, but there's no reason a distributed node network of home workers couldn't have the same ratings.

The only difference moving things onsite has had, is that the hacker isn't going to bother fiddling around with squatting outside an employee's house and making extra "Find Hidden Node" rolls. They'll do it from the comfort of a secure location with a packet of stim patches handy.
knasser
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (knasser @ May 12 2007, 09:57 AM)

Because it only takes one hacker eavesdropping on that connection to create the perfect sample of your signature.

So... you agree that signatures are meaningless as a form of security in 2070, then? Unless you're implying that people can't use remote signing solutions because then someone will find out what their signature looks like? Isn't the party that's trying to alter the terms of your agreement already going to have a copy of that?

But this is a sideshow. Lots of workers wont need to sign things and most others wont need to sign things everyday on site with another party present. The argument is surely not that someone has to come in some days, therefore everyone must come in every day?
mfb
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ May 12 2007, 03:20 AM)
Yeah, I know those US credit card stories. It's not like that everywhere else, though.

But we are not talking about consumer purchases here - we are talking about business contracts important enough to actually come there in person and sign a special paper.
Of course, most of the time this includes notarial seeling, drekcetera.

unless "everywhere else" keeps a copy of your signature handy for comparison, then basic concept is still ridiculously flawed. it seriously doesn't take any "skill" to forge a simple signature--it takes, at most, a modicum of artistic talent (if that) and an hour or so to practice. your counterargument about printing is valid, though i still think there are readily-available technical fixes for it.

seals and the like are, obviously, tougher, but the hardest part of faking up a document is always going to be planting it once it's created.
Blade
I also wondered why people bothered to go to their offices. Even back in 3rd ed, it was possible for most office workers to work from home by connecting to a virtual office in VR mode.

I guess that one of the main reason is that physically going to work is all part of making you feel like you're a part of the corp. Even in Full-VR, you still know that you just have to pull the plug to be back in your home. This alone may not be worth the cost of the buildings, furnishing and maintenance, but these are justified by the fact that corps have to show off with giant office buildings swarming with employees.

And in VR after working days, you can't just go with your co-worker to the corporate bar just in front of your office. Well, you can go there virtually, but it's not as fun wink.gif.
Jaid
QUOTE (knasser @ May 12 2007, 02:57 AM)

hah, now i know you're making that up... there's no way people in 5 different countries wanted margaret atwood's signature. or her books. or anything to do with her at all nyahnyah.gif

anyways, just to add my point, it's not just a matter of matrix security, there's the physical security aspect as well. your top people have to kept in a secure spot, or else another corp will "make them an offer they can't refuse" and there goes your top talent.

mind you, this still leaves very little reason for regular office workers to go to an office, but it does mean that many companies (not the really small ones, but any company with, say, 2-3 valuable employees) would have at least some sort of office, even if only a small one, imo. which then necessitates security guards, cleaning/maintenance crew, etc... so maybe not an office building like today, where you have hundreds upon hundreds of people working in them for one corporation, but certainly i could see small offices with 3-5 people in them being fairly common.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (knasser)
So... you agree that signatures are meaningless as a form of security in 2070, then?

No. wink.gif

QUOTE (knasser)
Unless you're implying that people can't use remote signing solutions because then someone will find out what their signature looks like?

No. wink.gif
I'm saying that remote signing allows anyone eavesdropping to obtain the perfect instructions for reproducing your signature.

QUOTE (knasser)
Isn't the party that's trying to alter the terms of your agreement already going to have a copy of that?

No. wink.gif
They got the result, not the instructions.
That might result in slight differences when trying to reproduce it... so it's a Test.

QUOTE (mfb)
unless "everywhere else" keeps a copy of your signature handy for comparison, then basic concept is still ridiculously flawed.

..you mean, like on your debit card or ID? wink.gif

QUOTE (mfb)
it seriously doesn't take any "skill" to forge a simple signature--it takes, at most, a modicum of artistic talent (if that) and an hour or so to practice.

That's called defaulting, sure.

QUOTE (mfb)
your counterargument about printing is valid, though i still think there are readily-available technical fixes for it.

The robot arm is one, without question... but then again, a skillwire is, too. wink.gif

QUOTE (mfb)
seals and the like are, obviously, tougher, but the hardest part of faking up a document is always going to be planting it once it's created.

Indeed.

Both physical and digital systems can be infiltrated physically - but digital system could, possibly, be infiltrated digitally, too.
That's pretty much the only reason of doing important deals the old way:
To rule out one possible point of failure.
knasser
Rotbart - have you got something in your eye? wink.gif

Look. The entire point of signatures is that they verify something is authentic. Even if it takes an artist a whole two hours practicing your particular signature, the critical feature of it being beyond doubt is lost. The fact that 2070 technology means children could reliably do this from a scanned just drives one more nail in the coffin. Critical business deals are filed with third parties such as law firms meaning electronic verification is fine.

And none of this has the slightest chance of restoring the office to a useful concept in Shadowrun.

-K.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (knasser)
The entire point of signatures is that they verify something is authentic. Even if it takes an artist a whole two hours practicing your particular signature, the critical feature of it being beyond doubt is lost.

That applies to signatures today as well.
Are the still used? They are.
So, obviously, you are missing something.

QUOTE (knasser)
The fact that 2070 technology means children could reliably do this from a scanned just drives one more nail in the coffin.

In fact it doesn't matter what approach you take forging a signature - it's a Test.
If you approach it with skill or gear is your decision.

QUOTE (knasser)
Critical business deals are filed with third parties such as law firms.

Notarial deals are not unheard of, even today.
Yet, filing them online opens one up to MitM Attacks and filing them digitally only invoke problems of leaking them.
There is no benefit in digital contracts other than eas of use... and that#s certainly not a factor in the deals we were talking about.

QUOTE (knasser)
And none of this has the slightest chance of restoring the office to a useful concept in Shadowrun.

That's a whole other story, indeed.

But even there the point is:
Given the state the Matrix is in, you don't want your workers to dial in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012