Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Video Game, Gold
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
X-Kalibur
Also some shadowrun on CAD
apollo124
I took a quick look at the game today while I was walking around our hometown megacorp Wal-Mart.

One of the things you have to look really close to notice for the PC version is that you need to be running Windows Vista to even play it. And you need at least a dual core processor and a minimum video card with 256 MB of RAM, like a Radeon 7800. It also says on the box that these are minimums, and that better systems will see better performance. So the rich guy is going to hammer the low budget player, all else being equal.

One of the other things is that if you want to do the cross-platform playing (PC player vs. Xbox 360 player) even the PC guy has to have an active X-Box Live account. Kind of a slick way to sucker guys who don't have an X-Box into getting the service so they can play one lousy game on it.

Don't even get me started on magic-absorbing dwarves.
Thanee
QUOTE (apollo124)
One of the things you have to look really close to notice for the PC version is that you need to be running Windows Vista to even play it.

It's from Microsoft. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
Hmm... havn't really looked around a lot yet, concerning this game.

Is this pure multiplayer? Or does it also have a singleplayer campaign (i.e. like Halflife does).

Bye
Thanee
2bit
Pure multiplayer - There might be single player vs. bots mode, I'm not sure.

It's on Vista because it's the flagship for their Live Anywhere cross-platform gaming - PC and XBOX 360 users playing against each other.
Thanee
I looked around some in their forums and there seems to be a training and a bot mode.

Doesn't look like there's a campaign to play through, though.

Bye
Thanee
Demonseed Elite
Yeah, I do not believe there is any single player "game", just the practice modes with bots.
Fix-it
so I'm curious. is it kinda of Team-fortress-ey. or more like Dystopia?
Lazerface
Dystopia *is* Team-Fortress-ey.
Lindt
Worst case senerio just happened to me.
Im gaining a few new to SR players in my game. One of them was going to play a dwarf and wondered why they didnt have magic resistance, and how the tech-affinity thing all played out. I just about shat myself.
Its beginning. The stupidity is beginning.
apollo124
QUOTE (Thanee)
QUOTE (apollo124 @ Jun 7 2007, 06:42 AM)
One of the things you have to look really close to notice for the PC version is that you need to be running Windows Vista to even play it.

It's from Microsoft. wink.gif

True, but on most (read that as every!) other game or computer program I have ever seen, it gives you a list of OS's and versions that this software is compatible with. This bastardized creation is only for Vista and Xbox360, period. That's what I meant by that.
apollo124
I just got a "Tips and Tricks" magazine the other day which had some coverage on the SR-Xbox game. I figured that ranting without any practical knowledge of what I was talking about was kind of futile, so I bought this mag in the spirit of "know your enemy".

Anyone ever have a smartlink installed in a character that had a laser spotter beam incorporated into it? It comes standard, so if you want to know if that troll is getting ready to really lay some fire into you, look for the laser spot.

Never heard of an "Anti-Magic Generator": must be new tech from back in 2020.

Same with "Enhanced Vision" that lets you see through walls.

The teleport spell has been done to death on another thread.

Resurrection and Smoke are also new spells to me.

I ain't even gonna touch the whole magic draining dwarves issue.

Too bad they didn't try to get some fan input from here on Dumpshock to help with the design process. I bet most of us have some ideas which would have made a great game. My personal favorite idea of mine is if they had made a "Bug City" FPS/Strategy game. Lots of interesting things to find and kill in the Windy City.

Hope I ain't too far off topic.
Apollo
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (apollo124)

Too bad they didn't try to get some fan input from here on Dumpshock to help with the design process.

They didn't even ask for input from Wizkids/FanPro, nevermind Dumpshock. Of course, they don't have to, since they don't need to come to us for to use the digital rights. It would have been cool, but Microsoft isn't really known for working well with others in game development.
Kagetenshi
Your last sentence is three words too long.

~J
mfb
maybe five! or six!
Lazerface
No! No! Seven words! Fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms. Damn!
Fu-Man Chu
Hmm... I'm sure this is similar to how Battletech fans felt when MechAssault came out...
Lordmalachdrim
It may say Vista only but you can run it on XP. I have a friend I play against on xbox live who's got it on his PC. It's not shadowrun but I picked it up since he only plays games on his PC and I can't currently afford to upgrade my pc to run things like that.
mintcar
I downloaded the demo on Xbox Live. Got to say that the whole choosing races and buying upgrades really does push it above other multiplayer shooters for me. Also, the fact that aiming is random within the reticle means that they've taken the need for perfect motor skill and lightning reflexes out of the equation. All in all it's got to be the most enjoyable multiplayer shooter I've tried. Not sure about what hardcore fans of the genre feels about it though.

I don't think that we here on Dumpshock would have come up with better spells for this kind of game. It's a good thing they weren't bound by canon in that sense. However, I still think it's sad that they insisted on selling this as the one and only Shadowrun. Why not acknowledge the original and give the computer game a subtitle?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (mintcar)
Also, the fact that aiming is random within the reticle means that they've taken the need for perfect motor skill and lightning reflexes out of the equation.

I would actually agree with random aiming with a reticle for a game that was supposed to be super realistic, i.e. a military sim of some kind. Even if you've got perfect mouse skills your M9 isn't going to be headshot accurate at 100 feet; it's going to be accurate within this big circle that represents the margin of error. That would be good. In the interests of realism I'd also love things like aiming going out the window while walking, which doesn't happen in most FPSes probably because a lot of the gameplay is seen as manuvering and dodging and if too much advantage is given to people who realistically "camp" people complain.

But for a fantasy style game, I'm not sure why you'd want to make success or failure less sensitive to motor skills and reflexes. I mean, that's what the game is about, right? The game is first and foremost about your motor skills and reflexes and second place is your ability to process abstract 3D thought inside your head, i.e. how your manuver. I'm not sure what you'd gain by favoring randomness over skill in a game that isn't supposed to be a realistic simulation.
mfb
QUOTE (Fu-Man Chu)
Hmm... I'm sure this is similar to how Battletech fans felt when MechAssault came out...

i don't recall hearing about FASA Interactive altering MechAssault in response to the massive fan backlash.
Kagetenshi
MechAssault is also conspicuously not called Battletech.

~J
mfb
there is that. i actually didn't know it was a BattleTech game until a year or so after it came out.
imperialus
QUOTE (mfb)
don't ever change, blakkie.

You don't have to sit across a table from him every Sunday and try to keep a campaign on track ohplease.gif dead.gif nyahnyah.gif
mintcar
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (mintcar @ Jun 19 2007, 03:20 AM)
Also, the fact that aiming is random within the reticle means that they've taken the need for perfect motor skill and lightning reflexes out of the equation.

I would actually agree with random aiming with a reticle for a game that was supposed to be super realistic, i.e. a military sim of some kind. Even if you've got perfect mouse skills your M9 isn't going to be headshot accurate at 100 feet; it's going to be accurate within this big circle that represents the margin of error. That would be good. In the interests of realism I'd also love things like aiming going out the window while walking, which doesn't happen in most FPSes probably because a lot of the gameplay is seen as manuvering and dodging and if too much advantage is given to people who realistically "camp" people complain.

But for a fantasy style game, I'm not sure why you'd want to make success or failure less sensitive to motor skills and reflexes. I mean, that's what the game is about, right? The game is first and foremost about your motor skills and reflexes and second place is your ability to process abstract 3D thought inside your head, i.e. how your manuver. I'm not sure what you'd gain by favoring randomness over skill in a game that isn't supposed to be a realistic simulation.

You could say that. But realisticly camping is out of the question anyway in this game because of the ability to see through walls, fly and teleport. What the reticle's functionality means in practice is that there are extra levels of skill involved in shooting people. You still need to be nimble with your fingers, but you can imrove conciderably only by understanding how to make your accuracy improve in the game. It means that cooler heads prevail. I think it's just one of the features included to promote a more sensible way of playing in this FPS.
Lazerface
Dwarf: Smoke - Tree - Anti Magic Generators (with minion and strangle in radial menu)

Campers delight. Except it's more of an area denial than a quick backstab.

Oh, and I don't think you'll find cooler heads in a community that has been weened on the Gears and Halo teat.
Blacken
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 23 2007, 04:28 PM)
Can someone just write me a console app that displays the message, "a steaming cup of soykaf would be just whiz about now"?

I also want to wait for me to hit the enter key before the Windows console disappears.

While you play the Shadowrun FPS I'll just sit there playing with my console app.

Ask and you shall receive. (Requires the .NET 2.0 Framework to be installed, because I just didn't feel like breaking out gcc.)
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Blacken)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 23 2007, 04:28 PM)
Can someone just write me a console app that displays the message, "a steaming cup of soykaf would be just whiz about now"?

I also want to wait for me to hit the enter key before the Windows console disappears.

While you play the Shadowrun FPS I'll just sit there playing with my console app.

Ask and you shall receive. (Requires the .NET 2.0 Framework to be installed, because I just didn't feel like breaking out gcc.)

My god, that was badass, and ferocious! I feel so emotional! I ran your .exe and the text was even green, just like in the old game!

You're a very, very kind person. Thank you. Today, you have really touched me emotionally.
Kagetenshi
Man, I already posted your game a month ago! Full source, too!

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

Indeed. smile.gif Believe it or not I actually typed it into DOS Box a few times as I was preparing to run various abandonware games. I'd run it a couple times before playing my game and a couple of times before quitting DOS Box. It was much appreciated.
Blacken

Mine's better. frown.gif

And...I...didn't see yours. biggrin.gif

I should rewrite it! Play some perl golf!

Today, you have really touched me emotionally.

Better than sexually.
Lilt
Hrm... A friend of mine bought this, but I'm a bit too sceptical to go out and buy it just yet.

I mean, even if they did want to make it a FPS game, could they not have added character advancement, ala Enemy Territory? Could they not have stuck to the tenets of shadowrun magic and not included teleportation?

I am, however, not the sort of person that can't look past these things. I am, however, sceptical about them trying to equalise PC and Xbox players. From what I can tell, PC players are gimped whilst Xbox players get auto-aim... I'm personally doubtful that they'll balance it properly, meaning that one or the other will end-up on top.

Perhaps I'm just pessimistic, and apologies for using such melodramatic language, but I could see an 'apartheid'-esque system forming where Xboxers play on Xbox servers and PC players play on PC servers. Wouldn't that be great for the flagship title for Micro$oft's Live system? Why didn't they go for a game that work similarly on PCs and Consoles anyway, like a driving or flight game?

On the plus side, however, more publicity for Shadowrun is almost definitely a good thing. I'm going round to my friend's flat at some point to try it too. I might consider buying it if it's any fun.
Solomon Greene
QUOTE (Lilt)
Perhaps I'm just pessimistic, and apologies for using such melodramatic language, but I could see an 'apartheid'-esque system forming where Xboxers play on Xbox servers and PC players play on PC servers. Wouldn't that be great for the flagship title for Micro$oft's Live system? Why didn't they go for a game that work similarly on PCs and Consoles anyway, like a driving or flight game?

That's what happened with Unreal.

A driving or flying game? There's no way those will ever be equal between a console and a pc. No game will be. The PC is simply too customizable for a console to have any sort of equal footing. The ammount of input a PC user can use (keyboard and mouse) versus what a console player has (a controller) is simply ludicrous.

FPS's are as close as you can come to an "equal experience" because they really only require the ability to guide movement, select weapons and a trigger to pull.

At least, that's how I see it.

I just hope this game catches on a bit to be successful, enough to convince them to try other things with the property.
Aku
the game shot my 360 and slowly killed it frown.gif
Lilt
QUOTE (Solomon Greene)
A driving or flying game?  There's no way those will ever be equal between a console and a pc.  No game will be.  The PC is simply too customizable for a console to have any sort of equal footing.  The ammount of input a PC user can use (keyboard and mouse) versus what a console player has (a controller) is simply ludicrous.

FPS's are as close as you can come to an "equal experience" because they really only require the ability to guide movement, select weapons and a trigger to pull. 

At least, that's how I see it.

I just hope this game catches on a bit to be successful, enough to convince them to try other things with the property.

Erm... What? Do you have anything to support that claim with? Trying not to be insulting here, but FPSs are where the difference between mouse and keyboard controls is arguably one of the greatest in terms of actual control. There's almost no comparison. There was talk that the Space Orb 360 was a contender, but I think the company that made it went bust or discontinued it as there aren't even final windows XP drivers and the link to the company site now links to one of those targeted search engines.

Yes, I do agree that mouse and keyboard will almost definitely be ahead in any game where there are a plethora of control options. In these cases, the ability to map options to readily accessible keys will give a distinct advantage to the PC player.

There are two main reasons why the mouse is better than a joypad for FPS purposes:
  1. You can set your mouse sensitivity so high that you can turn 180 degrees and shoot someone behind you in a fraction of a second. Unless you have a very accurate pad (more accurate than I think exists), setting your pad's sensitivity so high that this becomes possible is almost definately detrimental to your aim.
  2. Distance moved is based on distance travelled, not time spent doing it. This is a far easier correlation for the brain, which is used to needing to move limbs to particular points in space.

Joypad control requires you work out a function of stick movement against time that will result in that total distance travelled. As you have to move the stick, you start by accelerating, get faster in the middle, and decelerate at the end (or overshoot but try and time your shot so that you are pointing at the enemy at the time). That's a lot to work out, and you've not even factored the fact that distance moved by your finger on the button might not necessarily correlate directly to rotation speed.

I have to admit that I've not really played many racing or flying games recently, but it strikes me that issue 1 isn't really applicable to them. You're unable to turn around immediately in a car/airplane/spacecraft anyway. The last time I controlled a game like that with the mouse, the mouse movement controlled the destination of the turn and the craft turned to match that vector. This means the extra work from issue 2

Whether issue 2 is still applicable depends on whether you're using a mouse or a joystick. With joysticks, the main edge a PC user will get is the plethora of customisable controls at his fingertips. When using a mouse (using the system above), the computer works-out the turning function for you. Depending on the game, you may even be able to see and correct your final vector before you reach it through camera movement or HUD effects.

Still, I reiterate that the FPS is where the difference is arguably most pronounced. Many of the potential advantages in racing or flying games can be minimised/eliminated if the the controls on the PC are simple and arcade-style, like many console games are and thus what many PC ports of console games are like. The last time I played a game on both console and PC it was one of the Grand Theft Auto series (Vice City IIRC), and I don't remember feeling particularly advantaged when I played it on my PC.
Solomon Greene
This is my point.

With those pronounced differences, I still believe that FPS games are the ones that PC and console gamers can come the closest to having a level playing field. Are there differences? Yes - as you've pointed out. But are there as different as the differences between a console and a PC running a sim? No way.

You can play Unreal or Shadowrun on your xbox360. Can you run Microsoft's Flight Simulator 10? Not yet - and even if you could, you'd have nowhere near the control of a PC user.
Lilt
QUOTE (Solomon Greene)
This is my point.

With those pronounced differences, I still believe that FPS games are the ones that PC and console gamers can come the closest to having a level playing field. Are there differences? Yes - as you've pointed out. But are there as different as the differences between a console and a PC running a sim? No way.

You can play Unreal or Shadowrun on your xbox360. Can you run Microsoft's Flight Simulator 10? Not yet - and even if you could, you'd have nowhere near the control of a PC user.

Perhaps we're not talking about the same things here. I'd agree that the very advanced flight simulators probably have some of the games with the most complex controls in the world. I wasn't meaning flight simulators though, I was meaning flying games.

There are plenty of flying games out there, and in the 'flying game' category I include space flight and similar games, where the controls are fairly simple. It isn't possible to turn 360 degrees in a split second, and the controls aren't much more complex than turning, acceleration, brakes, and a few weapons controls for good measure.

Now I admit that I haven't played many flight games recently. I have tried playing both driving games and FPS games, on both platforms, recently and I can say with complete confidence that there was no comparison... The PC is much, much, much better when it comes to FPS games, and they're about equal when it comes to driving games.

This comes from someone who's been in clans for Enemy Territory, and my flatmate supports me on this who has been in numerous quake clans and was top of our old university's quake rankings. There is truly no comparison.

Also note that I'm meaning driving games here too, not driving simulators (are there really any in the style of M$ flight sim?). Think the GTA series, since 3.
Lilt
Okay, finally tried it. I'd have to predict that the same thing will happen in Shadowrun as someone else described happening in Halo 2. In-fact I'd predict that the more highly skilled PC players could turn and run so fast that they could just run around behind even highly skilled Xbox players, potentially unless they already had a smartlink lock on them... I don't know how fast that lets you turn.

In-general the gameplay is fun, but it's not shadowrun. The only thing that's vaguely shadowrun about the game is that there's a corp, which is generally evil (probably praying on a corrupt government judging by the plot) and spreads misinformation. I'm willing to forgive the fact that they made the corp up, heck it could just be an offshoot of Aztechnology for all we know, but where are the shadows? Where are the runners? Couldn't they have at-least mentioned that the Lineage were hiring mercenaries from the underworld who had no qualms with going toe to toe with the corps?

Since when were dwarves essence vampires who sucked-out your souls?
Since when did elves regenerate?
Why couldn't they just name-drop for the weapons, or anything for that matter?
Why did they use $ instead of nuyen.gif ?

It strikes me as a shadowrun game made by people who'd never read any Shawdowrun books.
Aku
for "driving sims" on the console, thered be forza and that other one... lol

as for the game, other than it killing my 360 with its patch, i donno i just dont like mp fps all that much, even less than i really like regular fps lol. i agree, especially with the weapons, how hard would it be to drop a name, even if it wasnt a canon gun name, give me an Ares tiger pistol, for all i care... just SOMETHING..

and they could've done so much more, incorporating more archetypes into the game too, and keep it fps, add hackers, add vehicles.... i know i keep saying to my buddy slacker when we were playing, "I want that truck!" on the stage inside that you start right next to a big arsed truck of some sort.
Taran
The game has been cracked to run under Windows XP. Finally, something about the game has real Shadowrun flavor.
Kagetenshi
That's no Shadowrun flavour—real Shadowrun has Monkeyright!

~J
Lilt
QUOTE (Taran)
The game has been cracked to run under Windows XP. Finally, something about the game has real Shadowrun flavor.

Yeah, strangely that crack was how I heard about the game... My head had been turned from shadowrun for so long that it turned-up in a conversation about how stupid Microsoft were.

Incidentally, I hear it's not much of a crack. They apparently just force it to do an OS check, and not to install or run on an XP machine. The motivation not being to not support XP because they couldn't, but because they want people to buy XP.

I hate Micro$oft sometimes.
tweak
The last good Shadowrun game to come out was the one for the Genesis.

I would very much like a graphics enhanced version of that Genesis game.

tweak
Kagetenshi
You didn't think much of the MegaCD one, then?

~J
Particle_Beam
I guess most don't even know of the Mega-CD-version.
mfb
i keep meaning to acquire that through wholly legal means, but i haven't gotten around to it yet.
Lazerface
IIRC the MegaCD version was part of a liscenced Japanese version of Shadowrun that changed a lot of Japan's backstory in order to try to appeal to Japanese pnp gamers (Tokyo is now a barrens, no racism). Still, the intro movie to the game is effing awesome.
Bull
Own the game, and I thoroughly enjoy it. There's something about a troll with a minigun and a smartlink just opening up on a bunch of elves in melee and not having to worry about shooting your buddies (mostly smile.gif).

It's not Shadowrun, but... It's still fun. I keep telling Adam they need to do the SRVG sourcebook now smile.gif

Bull
Moon-Hawk
I downloaded and played the demo version from Xbox Live this weekend.
It was interesting. It did not cause me pain. Unspeakable horrors were not wrought upon me. It did not, to my knowledge, give me cancer.
I will not be buying it. I will likely not be playing the demo again.

I played for several hours, went through all the training available on the demo, and did a couple bot matches.
I was able to enjoy it somewhat, because I instantly forgot it was supposed to have anything to do with Shadowrun. It did very little to remind me.
The best part about it was the corporate propaganda you get between training missions. That had a good SR feel. That was it.
Teamwork isn't merely encouraged, rather it's enforced with an iron fist, and it feels clumsy. Mostly by the resurrection mechanic.
There was a pretty neat spell that makes pointy crystal spikes fill an area. That would be fun to stat up.

I don't know, if you like deathmatches then it's probably lots of fun.
I'm glad I played it, but I don't feel the need to play it again.
Meanwhile, I've almost made it through Gears of War on Insane difficulty (kinda like Legendary on Halo, if you haven't played it). Fun stuff; I love the feel of combat and tactical movement in that game.
Thanee
QUOTE (apollo124)
True, but on most (read that as every!) other game or computer program I have ever seen, it gives you a list of OS's and versions that this software is compatible with. This bastardized creation is only for Vista and Xbox360, period. That's what I meant by that.

It's from Microsoft... it's not meant to work on many OS, it's meant to increase the sale of Windows Vista. wink.gif

AFAIK, there isn't even anything in the game, that actually needs DX10. grinbig.gif

Bye
Thanee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012