Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Video Game, Gold
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Caine Hazen
For those who might have missed the announcement (cause I know we've discussed it to death biggrin.gif )
http://shadowrun.com/

May 29th will be the release date
Kagetenshi
Unfortunate.

~J
Large Mike
Honestly, even this forum has seen new people interested because of the video game. Yes, it sets up some erroneous ideas about the setting, but it's a smaller leap to explain that those two corps don't exist and there's no teleporting than to explain the whole concept.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. Err, that is to say that any publicity is good publicity. Tabletop RPGs need all the help they can get, if our hobby is to avoid the fate of historically accurate miniature games.
X-Kalibur
While the game may not truly be "Shadowrun", from all accounts I've heard the game is actually quite good. Tycho (of PA fame) even compared it to Starsiege: Tribes, one of my favorite FPS games of all time, and one of theirs as well. So, despite the differences, I wish the game well and hope that it gives me enjoyment.
Kalvan
I still say that the guys who came up with the idea and everybody in any position to overide them should commit seppuku with a ripsaw in a webcast or on national television before I will ever buy another Microsoft game!
SuperFly
I just opened up the newest PC Gamer magazine and saw the first full page ad for the game to my knowledge.... It's the back of some guy's head with a bunch of photoshopped eyeballs attached and the quote, 'In any othe rgame, this might help.'

Microsoft has been very successful in making sure to sever all ties between this load of garbage and the RPG source material.
Sterling
Well, having done QA for Interplay on Balder's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, it taught me that a good RPG is a very time consuming and resource intensive project.

The resources to code and script one chapter of a decent RPG can instead crank out a complete first person shooter. Look at Doom and all the player created maps that emerged. Sure, there's arguments that games like Neverwinter Nights also had its fair share of player created content, but which was easier to make (and I know the comparison is difficult considering how far apart each game is in terms of when they were released).

What I've heard (scuttlebutt, mostly) is that if this first person shooter version does well enough to justify more effort and resources, then we may see a proper RPG. My concern now is that if they do pull off a great game with this non-canon version, the RPG will also use this non-canon version.

Microsoft's reluctance to throw insane amounts of cash towards a proper Shadowrun RPG or MMORPG is understandable, I can only recall two notable science fiction MMORPGs and the better of the two is still substantially underperforming its potential. SWG may have been a warning sign to a lot of developers.

Sadly the new version of Shadowrun makes a MMORPG (lets face it, that's what we all really want) much more doable compared to SR3, which had better systems in place for decking, rigging, etc, but each system would be a nightmare to code and integrate with each other. It's also debatable if the currently available PCs could handle such a graphics strain, but again, SR4 fixes that for us.

Really, all we need is a good developer, a team of top-notch coders, some good graphic artists, and some bored billionaire to finance a Shadowrun MMORPG. We've got all the QA and playtesters we could ever want, I'm sure. And if properly done, the variety of characters and gear, not to mention the setting, could make the Shadowrun MMORPG wildly successful. But the problem is Microsoft has the rights to that aspect of FASA's IP, and they don't seem ready to invest the money and time to create the Shadowrun (MMO)RPG yet.
mfb
the format is not the problem. it could be an SR-based table tennis game, for all many of us care. the problem is that they disregarded huge amounts of the existing material in order to make room for their own stuff.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Sterling)
MMORPG (lets face it, that's what we all really want)

Speak for yourself, thank you very much. I at least believe that a commercial MMORPG is fundamentally incompatible with a good Shadowrun game.

~J
Blade
Seconded, I'd rather play SR table-tennis or a Drop Bear simulation.
Demonseed Elite
Another problem is the licensing situation. In order for Microsoft to make a Shadowrun MMO using any Shadowrun material since the FASA/FASA Interactive split, they'd need to hash out a licensing deal with Wizkids. Which they may decide they don't want to bother with.

I suppose they could make a retro Shadowrun MMO themselves, but even that might get fuzzy with intellectual property law. I really have no idea how that whole thing shook out with the split.
Backgammon
Here's a bit of an interview with Mitch Gitelman, head of FASA Studios:

GS: If the game does well, could we expect to see more Shadowrun-related products down the road? For instance, the longtime fans of the franchise would really love to see a Shadowrun role-playing game.

MG: Yeah, I heard somewhere on the Web that longtime fans might want an RPG. We'll look into that.

Heard. Somewhere. On the web.
Might Want.

These guys know fuck-all about Shadowrun. Don't expect anything good to come out of them.
Demerzel
Yea, especially if the year somewhere on the web that no self respecting shadowrun player would ever buy a microsoft product from those guys who know fuck-all about shadowrun.

Consider the community here may be doing more to prevent any sort of attempt at a reasonable SR computer game, by not being able to hold their tounges regarding this one, than any percieved lack of market could.

I mean, go to the largest fan site for an intellectual property, and see everone say they'd never buy a game loosely based on their favored property. That sure makes me want to go out and invest.
Kagetenshi
Awesome. Is there any way I could be doing more to prevent it? 'Cause I don't want to let this chance slip by to let those guys who know fuck-all about Shadowrun possibly know that I'll be actively working to reduce sales on this and future Shadowrun-branded products from them.

(Not everyone believes that a hope of a decent product eventually is worth tolerating a bad product now)

~J
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Here's a bit of an interview with Mitch Gitelman, head of FASA Studios:

GS: If the game does well, could we expect to see more Shadowrun-related products down the road? For instance, the longtime fans of the franchise would really love to see a Shadowrun role-playing game.

MG: Yeah, I heard somewhere on the Web that longtime fans might want an RPG. We'll look into that.

Might Want.

These guys know fuck-all about Shadowrun. Don't expect anything good to come out of them.

But we already have a Shadowrun RPG. 3 in fact. One for the SNES, one for the Genesis, and one that was only released in Japan. And those were all great. Why mess with a good thing?
mfb
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Another problem is the licensing situation. In order for Microsoft to make a Shadowrun MMO using any Shadowrun material since the FASA/FASA Interactive split, they'd need to hash out a licensing deal with Wizkids. Which they may decide they don't want to bother with.

I suppose they could make a retro Shadowrun MMO themselves, but even that might get fuzzy with intellectual property law. I really have no idea how that whole thing shook out with the split.

eh? are you sure? my impression was that FASA Interactive has the right to make video games from the SR IP, with no limit on when material could be added to that IP. i mean, if that were true, wouldn't that also imply that Wizkids has the right to make a video game out of any material created after the split, as long as they didn't use any material from before it (which would be basically impossible, but still)?
Kagetenshi
My impression is that one of the rights FASA Interactive has is to the trademark Shadowrun in the area of video games and electronic entertainment, or whatever it's called.

Still not a lawyer.

~J
Adam
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Might Want.

Or Mitch was playfully mocking the outcry. Personally, I laughed my ass off -- in a good way -- when I first saw that quote.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ May 15 2007, 09:46 AM)
Might Want.

Or Mitch was playfully mocking the outcry. Personally, I laughed my ass off -- in a good way -- when I first saw that quote.

Being facetious doesn't usually come across well in text though sarcastic.gif
mfb
i dunno, man, it's hard to distinguish sarcasm with that guy. i mean, when he claimed to be a big fan of SR, and then had to be forced by forum outrage to actually use the source material? a lot of people just plain stopped believing the words that came out of his mouth.
Kagetenshi
Eh, I thought it came across—and I'm certainly not predisposed to view his statements in a favourable light, y'know?

~J
Backgammon
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ May 15 2007, 09:46 AM)
Might Want.

Maybe. But that's like a Janjaweed making a joke about genocide.
Kagetenshi
Eh? Is there something about a man with a gun on a horse that I'm missing here?

~J
Backgammon
I dunno, the metaphor made sense to me. Whatever. Hey, I'd buy a good SR RPG if it was made by Microsoft, I don't care. I just don't think it's gonna happen.
Wounded Ronin
Uh, can we just write letters to MS telling them that they don't need to develop a new SR RPG but rather they just need to overhaul and re-release the old Genesis classic?

A steaming cup of soykaf would be really whiz right about now.

Every time I read that message it made me get up from the game and brew myself a cup of coffee.
Kagetenshi
We could write that letter, but they'd take one look at it and tear the letter up. Blue Sky doesn't so much exist anymore.

~J
Demonseed Elite
eh? are you sure? my impression was that FASA Interactive has the right to make video games from the SR IP, with no limit on when material could be added to that IP.

Again, I'm no lawyer, but I don't see how that would be possible without Wizkids' approval. Wizkids owns that intellectual property and FASA Interactive has had no part in its creation or ownership.

For instance, FASA Interactive shouldn't be able to make a Shadowrun RPG that takes place in the Renraku Arcology controlled by the AI Deus. That's all intellectual property owned by Wizkids. They could probably use the Renraku Arcology (old original SR source material, depends on the original agreements) and have it taken over by some cheesy Deus-like clone and moderately come close to copyright infringement, though. Unless they had Wizkids' permission to use Deus and material from those books.

You're probably right that Wizkids could make a game with that material, except they couldn't call it Shadowrun, since FASA Interactive owns that trademark in the digital gaming realm.
mfb
hm. i'd think that the IP is the IP, regardless of how much time has passed or how much material has been added. that makes sense, at least to me, so it's probably the exact opposite of how things actually work.
blakkie
QUOTE (SuperFly @ May 13 2007, 01:17 PM)
Microsoft has been very successful in making sure to sever all ties between this load of garbage and the RPG source material.

I think you mean this load of "kickass game". Looks like fun, very likely I will buy. Dwarf tossing? Wire Relexes + Katanas means deflecting [some] bullets? ROCK-A-FROTHY-RIFIC! cool.gif
mfb
well, color me shocked.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 22 2007, 10:40 AM)
well, color me shocked.

You mean colour you a stick in the mud. smile.gif It isn't the exact same Shadowrun world I play P&P in. But fortunately I have the mental capacity to get the fuck over it and have fun. rotfl.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (mfb @ May 22 2007, 10:40 AM)
well, color me shocked.

You mean colour you a stick in the mud. smile.gif It isn't the exact same Shadowrun world I play P&P in. But fortunately I have the mental capacity to get the fuck over it and have fun. rotfl.gif

Amen!
Tanka
You're both dead to me.
mfb
don't ever change, blakkie.
mintcar
I've been thinking about playing it. Also got the fuck over it, and looking to have some fun with what looks like a fun game. Problem is I suck at these games and would likely loose interest after being humiliated so and so many times.

Looked back here to see if any other old dumpshockers had any thoughts of playing it. Guess it's only Blakkie wink.gif.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (mintcar)
I've been thinking about playing it. Also got the fuck over it, and looking to have some fun with what looks like a fun game. Problem is I suck at these games and would likely loose interest after being humiliated so and so many times.

Looked back here to see if any other old dumpshockers had any thoughts of playing it. Guess it's only Blakkie wink.gif.

I'll second that. I only ever get "monkey button" kills. Sometimes it is fun to aggravate the good players by sheer luck..

Oh, and the game may be fun, but I'd prefer it not be called Shadowrun.

</still trying to get over it>
Large Mike
That reminds me of a guy I argued with once. "I don't care what gays do with their time, and I don't mind if they're legally bonded somehow, but it shouldn't be called marriage, because that's something that's between a man and a woman."

Semantics! Just enjoy the damn game.
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar @ May 23 2007, 04:35 AM)

Likely a problem with the over abundance of us old folks here. Worried about the kids showin' them up. wink.gif

Me I'm a little slowed with age and never was much of a 'twitch' player to start with. So I pick games where I can bust out the macro keyboard and a good mouse and use cunning and sheer force of will to claw myself up the ranks to the level of mediocrity. Then when I come across some rude dumbass I single mindedly hunt them down and shoot them. Then I taunt them till they get flustered, screw up again, and I shoot them again. Little victories like that make winning it all seem a lot less nessasary. cool.gif

This looks like one of those games where a little cunning can get you somewhere. Or at least have fun trying. You get cash for doing a good job on support roles and team communication looks pretty important so you don't need to be a shot-jock to keep up and contribute. Even when you die you get to watch your teammates via a chase-cam which I've always enjoyed in other team games. Watching good players pull off cool moves and cheering for your last remaining teammate is oddly satisfying.
Wounded Ronin
Can someone just write me a console app that displays the message, "a steaming cup of soykaf would be just whiz about now"?

I also want to wait for me to hit the enter key before the Windows console disappears.

While you play the Shadowrun FPS I'll just sit there playing with my console app.
Kagetenshi
echo "A steaming cup of soykaf would be just whiz about now."

~J
mintcar
Blakkie: Yeah, there's a lot of saving graces. I think Gears of War multiplayer pretty tolerable because it forced teams and you only get one life. So causion and consious thought is rewarded. It's also really slow paced, so even people who hasn't had the choreography of maneuvers in the game welded into their spinal cord by constant gaming can have a shot at knowing what's going on.

But the thing is that about the fourth or fifth time I played it... when about a month had passed grinbig.gif, I had gotten so far behind that none of those things mattered. Everyone else had become so good that there was absolutely nothing I could do at all. And every cunning move that I might have come up with, they had seen a thousand times.

I predict the problem with the Shadowrun game will be that I wont even have time to master the basics before just about everyone else is kicking ass. Because I like playing one or two matches of a game like this when I'm feeling restless and don't have time or ability to do something physical. That situation doesn't present itself very often. I don't crave winning enough for to keep playing and I don't play videogames to get my adrenalin flowing. I do other things for that, like climbing mountains (well... tiny mountains... cliffs wink.gif).

I wish I had some buddy who was into these kinds of games so I could go there and try them out ones in a while. For them to be worth the money you need to put some more time into it then I'm willing to do.
mintcar
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Can someone just write me a console app that displays the message, "a steaming cup of soykaf would be just whiz about now"?

I also want to wait for me to hit the enter key before the Windows console disappears.

While you play the Shadowrun FPS I'll just sit there playing with my console app.

I think you summed up the attitude that makes me a worthless FPS player perfectly. Because what you just described filled me with such a sense of peace after thinking about that awfull stress I get from playing FPS games smile.gif

After 2 or 3 rounds I toss the controller gently to the side, massage my neck, and think to myself; "a steaming cup of soykaf would be just whiz about now".
Wounded Ronin
Well, I personally enjoy FPS games, but I also like soykaf messages, and I don't really think that I want to play a game which is called SR but which in fact has nothing to do with SR.

The thing about FPS games is that they're soothing. You just have to relax first and distance yourself from the minutae of the scoreboard. Pick out things that you enjoy doing in the FPS and focus on those, such as "I want to go through at least 200 rounds on the M249 by way of suppressive fire," or "I want to knife the best-scoring player at least once". Or, you could play single player. For me it's very soothing to stay relaxed and try to go for headshots on everyone because you need to keep yourself calm and precise even when umpteen enemies are jumping around and attacking you.

The time of day you play makes a difference too. I have noticed that the people who are playing at, say, 7PM are as a whole not as awesomely skilled as the people who are still playing at 2 or 3 AM. The skill level really spikes around then. If you don't like to do poorly then I'd recommend not playing at like 2 or 3 AM.

I think it also helps to play FPSes on PCs instead of on consoles. The console joysticks I find somewhat annoying. I can relax a lot more using a mouse because I feel like my control of the character is so much better.
youngtusk87
I think the game is going to be a great FPS. The elements seem pretty balanced, and the mechanics look like they'll be a blast to master and experiment with.

My beef is with the gameplay options. For the 360 version, the only way to play the game is online. Period.

No bots? --No problem.

No Split screen? --Ok, fine, i'll let it slide...

No System Link(LAN). --Wait, what?!

The only way to play it is online. I have Xbox LIVE, so its no problem for me. But I also have two brothers, and no split screen means I can't play with them online like I can for Halo 3 Beta, Gears of War, or GRAW/2. And no system link means I can't even play with them if we hook our Xboxs up.

Epic fail from a gamer's point of view.
DarkShadow
QUOTE (youngtusk87)
I think the game is going to be a great FPS. The elements seem pretty balanced, and the mechanics look like they'll be a blast to master and experiment with.

My beef is with the gameplay options. For the 360 version, the only way to play the game is online. Period.

No bots? --No problem.

No Split screen? --Ok, fine, i'll let it slide...

No System Link(LAN). --Wait, what?!

The only way to play it is online. I have Xbox LIVE, so its no problem for me. But I also have two brothers, and no split screen means I can't play with them online like I can for Halo 3 Beta, Gears of War, or GRAW/2. And no system link means I can't even play with them if we hook our Xboxs up.

Epic fail from a gamer's point of view.

Okay, thought I'd just correct you on a few things.

First of all, the game has bots, so you can play by yourself and practice all you want. Second, the game does support system link, so you can do that all you want as well!
Third.. yes, the game does not support split screen, but supposedly they didn't have time to throw that in, so maybe they might add a patch for it in the future depending on sales. If you go on the forums there you'll see that most people were complaining about no split-screen, which bugs the hell out of me as well.
Aristotle
I'll likely look into it in a month or two when I have a different network. (my current setup seems to give me latency in FPS games, but not in MMOs.) Everything I've read has indicated this will be a game I would enjoy... but I'm still not sure I like how it was handled with regards to the Shadowrun property.

I *do* think an MMO would work, and I also know Microsoft has been looking to put money behind an MMO that will turn a profit. With a lot of folks looking for something "different" in an MMO, I'd think Shadowrun would have come up by now.
DarkShadow
QUOTE (Aristotle)
I'll likely look into it in a month or two when I have a different network. (my current setup seems to give me latency in FPS games, but not in MMOs.) Everything I've read has indicated this will be a game I would enjoy... but I'm still not sure I like how it was handled with regards to the Shadowrun property.

I *do* think an MMO would work, and I also know Microsoft has been looking to put money behind an MMO that will turn a profit. With a lot of folks looking for something "different" in an MMO, I'd think Shadowrun would have come up by now.

Some of the reasoning I've seen back when the game was first showing some light, was that it's cheaper to make a FPS like this, and then once people know the name they can start working on an RPG. I noticed that a lot of people didn't even know what the hell Shadowrun was until they heard of the game.

I just hope that's the plan, and yes, the game doesn't really follow very close to any of the source material, but it should be a fun game.
Taran
Microsoft's games divison has a whole bunch of experienced FPS guys; do they have any RPGs to their credit? Even eastern-style ones? Blue Dragon doesn't count, it wasn't in-house. If they'd have to buy a company to get the necessary expertise then it's never ever going to happen, 'cause MS's "lose lots of money" strategy only makes sense when you're fighting for a large market. Which we're not.
Demonseed Elite
ahaha, reported on Kotaku today:

So, I've been playing quite a bit of Shadowrun lately so I can review it. I spent a chunk of time earlier this week playing, before it came out, in rooms peopled entirely by FASA studio developers who took great pleasure in grenading my body around the map.

Something struck me as odd though, right when a match started someone would say: You got the fever? I got the fever. And this would go on as we ran to the relic or toward each other. It seemed odd, but I didn't know what it was about... until now.

Apparently, one of Shadowrun's achievements is the Shadowrun Fever, something you get, I've been told, by tea-bagging someone who already has the fever. That's right, it's an achievement and a venereal disease, but unlike the kind that blinds you or slowly drives you insane this one just awards a batch of points, 25 I suspect.

I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect the only people who currently have the fever are the developers. I'd like to add that I am a great big idiot, because despite playing with them for hours over several days, I never managed to dip my coin purse.
2bit
more news: Shadowrun on today's Penny Arcade comic!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012