Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick question on gun type
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
knasser
Just a quick question as I know very little about guns. I watched Smoking Aces on the weekend. Very dull bar two good characters, but there's a woman in the film who has some sort of great big rifle she uses to snipe across at another hotel. I just wondered if this weapon is what an assault cannon is supposed to be. If so, it will make a very good reference for me to give to my players (who also tend not to be very familiar with firearms).

Thanks in advance,

-K.

Edit: Said 'rifle.' Meant 'cannon.'
WhiskeyMac
I think it's more similar to the Barret Model 121 that was in the Cannon Companion than a PAC.
Thanee
M107 sniper rifle

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/ar..._1167330495.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/t...-Hensonaces.jpg

This .50 caliber behemoth kills with chilling efficiency. Capable of shooting targets over a mile away (2000m max range), the gun fires giant slugs that tears through body armor as though it were a shoji screen. In addition, it's semi-automatic, meaning shots can be fired in quick succession. Observant movies junkies will notice that the Cobra gun in Robocop was aesthetically modeled after the M82A1, its predecessor.
Starmage21
Yup thats a .50cal rifle.

The shadowrun equivalent would be the Barret 121 that was in the cannon companion(SR3). There is no equivalent in SR4...yet
Degausser
Shadowrun Sniping:

How to make friends and influance people, from over a mile away!
WearzManySkins
Yep that is what as Barrett, I saw one on Future Weapons, that the former SEAL sniper host of the show, used to shoot at a target 2,500 yards away.

It is the .416 Barrett,

"This new sniper’s round produced by the renowned maker of .50-caliber weapons fires faster and with more accuracy and power than any other type of rifle ammunition. Accurate to 2,500 yards - that’s a mile and a half away! - the .416 can hit home on the first "cold bore shot," giving no warning to the target. Barrett's new M99 rifle, seen here, has recently been configured to handle the new ammunition"

Very nice weapon and nice show also

WearzManySkins
Demerzel
QUOTE (knasser)
World's shortest thread.

No gun thread will ever qualify for this...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Yep that is what as Barrett, I saw one on Future Weapons, that the former SEAL sniper host of the show, used to shoot at a target 2,500 yards away.

interesting show, but that host is just to annoying...
knasser

Wow! I've just looked up the Barrett 121 in Cannon Companion and it's not actually a heavy weapon. And the Panther Assault Cannon actually has a power rating of 18 compared to the Barretts 14. (In SR3 terms).

So what I'm being told here is that the panther assault cannon is considerably bigger and more powerful than that!

Frightening. Was that movie exaggeration or is it really that powerful?

Thanks for all the replies.

-K.
WearzManySkins
Basically they are two different weapons, the Barrett is a long range anti personnel weapon aka sniper rifle, the Panther Assault Cannon is a 20mm anti tank rifle.

Barrett is long range sniping, shoots at weak points in a targets armor.

Panther brute force rifle, for defeating heavily armored targets by blowing thru the armor.

Basically two different weapons designs.

I see nothing wrong with the DV of either.

As for the host of the show....I have no issues with his style, as a SEAL he has "earned" it the hard way many times over.

I served with several USN SEALS, when they were not in the SEAL function, actually he is fairly typical of the ones I served with. Doing what they do, lets say they tend to have a blunt type of flair, or attitude. After abit of working with them, you do not notice the flair any more.

WearzManySkins
knasser
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Basically they are two different weapons, the Barrett is a long range anti personnel weapon aka sniper rifle, the Panther Assault Cannon is a 20mm anti tank rifle.

Barrett is long range sniping, shoots at weak points in a targets armor.

Panther brute force rifle, for defeating heavily armored targets by blowing thru the armor.

Basically two different weapons designs.

I see nothing wrong with the DV of either.

Thanks, WMS. A very useful summary for someone with my level of knowledge.

Many thanks,

-K.
lunchbox311
QUOTE (knasser)
Wow! I've just looked up the Barrett 121 in Cannon Companion and it's not actually a heavy weapon. And the Panther Assault Cannon actually has a power rating of 18 compared to the Barretts 14. (In SR3 terms).

So what I'm being told here is that the panther assault cannon is considerably bigger and more powerful than that!

Frightening. Was that movie exaggeration or is it really that powerful?

Thanks for all the replies.

-K.

I have not seen the movie but .50 cal sniper rifles are used as anti material weapons first and foremost but have since gained popularity for anti person operations as well.

NightmareX translated some of the weapons from cannon companion over and basically gave the Barret 121 the stats of 10p with -3 ap which is better than the other snipers but not as good as a panther (unless you get apds rounds for it biggrin.gif)

As for a more real life mobile panther equivalent try this one....

the XM 109

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,1463..._XM109,,00.html

picture: http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/l...lg_xm109-lg.jpg

25mm sniper rifle goodness

also here is a comparative picture for various weapon sizes... mind you the 25 for the sniper rifle does not look to be that long

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...ges/natammo.jpg
Lagomorph
QUOTE (lunchbox311)
also here is a comparative picture for various weapon sizes... mind you the 25 for the sniper rifle does not look to be that long

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...ges/natammo.jpg

Just pointing out that 12.7mm = .50 cal, to help put that 25mm in perspective.
Spike
I'm not entirely up on all the fluff for the Panther, but as I recall it is essentially a smooth bore (possibly) explosive launcher, rather than a proper 'gun'.

You can't, for example, get APDS rounds for it... or couldn't... because it doesn't fire a bullet so much as an explosive charge, possibly shaped. It's man portable artillery, not to dissimilar from the 60mm mortar fired from the hip (possible and slightly frighting concept, I know), only smaller and without the ability to soft lob shells in a high arc.

It is, essentially, a Cannon in every real sense of the word.

If the artwork is any measure, it's rounds will look like larger versions of the 40mm grenade rather than the 12.7mm or 25mm.

Of course now I need to dig out my old first edition Street Sam catalog and reread the old entry....
Starmage21
If you ever play Battlefield 2142, there is an unlock in the game for the engineer class called the Pilum AVR(Anti-Vehicle Rifle). It reminds me very much of what the PAC should be.

*edit*
link

http://bf2142fever.com/content/Koenig_H-AVR
eidolon
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (knasser)
World's shortest thread.

No gun thread will ever qualify for this...

QFT
hobgoblin
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
As for the host of the show....I have no issues with his style, as a SEAL he has "earned" it the hard way many times over.

I served with several USN SEALS, when they were not in the SEAL function, actually he is fairly typical of the ones I served with. Doing what they do, lets say they tend to have a blunt type of flair, or attitude. After abit of working with them, you do not notice the flair any more.

i think its mostly a case of "why on earth is he whispering to the camera all the time?!".

you can clearly hear him use a more normal voice when talking to people.

im starting to think he is being directed to do it that way. i recall reading that the mythbusters where asked to argue more on camera. im guessing they (the producers) are trying to get a kind of reality show feel over it, kinda like what you have with orange county choppers and similar.

there was also that show "beyond though" that gave me the same kind of irk. sure they are though for doing the job they do, but one would expect them to brush it of as no big deal or something...

but then i also got a bad feel when yet another show, that was to talk about the ak-47 and the m-16, had a guy in it that appeared to embrace the m-16 he held as if it was his girlfriend. and this was a guy in a suit, not someone in a foxhole.
BGMFH
QUOTE (Spike)

You can't, for example, get APDS rounds for it... or couldn't... because it doesn't fire a bullet so much as an explosive charge, possibly shaped. It's man portable artillery, not to dissimilar from the 60mm mortar fired from the hip (possible and slightly frighting concept, I know), only smaller and without the ability to soft lob shells in a high arc.

60mm from the hip? GET ME ONE PLEASE!

It'd make carrying the cannon so much more worthwhile?
Big D
There's a video clip somewhere of a low-impulse 3" shoulder cannon.

Doesn't look very practical, though... how many rounds can you hump?
mfb
QUOTE (Spike)
I'm not entirely up on all the fluff for the Panther, but as I recall it is essentially a smooth bore (possibly) explosive launcher, rather than a proper 'gun'.

not possible, not with the range an AC gets. an AC is as accurate at 2.4 klicks as a sniper rifle is at 1 klick. no way you get that kind of accuracy without rifling. also, AC rounds, while described as being explosive, don't actually have an area of effect.

ACs are weird. the job they appear to excel at--taking out vehicles and other heavily-armored enemies--is hampered by their rate of fire, and would be better handled with a rocket or missile. the job they could perform--anti-materiel sniping--is hampered by the lack of specialized armor-piercing ammo. AC ammo is described as explosive, which clashes somewhat with the high penetration of the weapon, and also clashes with the fact that it doesn't have a radius of effect. i suppose you could just assume that AC ammo is always some kind of shaped-charge explosive doohickey, like you said. but... only -5 armor? meh.
WearzManySkins
Well you can use the US Army's "Polish Nuclear Hand Grenade"......AKA the Davy Crockett, a bazooka that fired a nuclear tip rocket.

One minor issue, range of rocket kept the firer in the Primary Blast Radius...!!!!!!!

Talk about a one way mission........
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Well you can use the US Army's "Polish Nuclear Hand Grenade"......AKA the Davy Crockett, a bazooka that fired a nuclear tip rocket.

One minor issue, range of rocket kept the firer in the Primary Blast Radius...!!!!!!!

Sigh, Myth.

WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ May 24 2007, 01:54 AM)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ May 24 2007, 02:08 PM)

Sigh, Myth.

Not myth

Link here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett...nuclear_device)

check out the Utube link there.

Just because "they say" the radiation would not harm, same folks that told those at Bikini Atoll. "Do not worry son Uncle Sam would not do anything to hurt you."

How close were they. well the crews of the ships were up on deck, with their arms crossed over their faces. Blast flash allowed the standing crewman to clearly see the forearm bones in their arms over their eyes.

But after that they let the crews go into the hulks that were blasted in the primary blast radius, the scientists along with them had radiation suits, the crew did not.

Same folks that thought the Atomic Cannon was a good idea. frown.gif
Crusher Bob
and from the wikipedia you link to:

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
A common myth is that with no shielding or protection from either blast or radiation, a Davy Crockett crew would have been unlikely to survive any engagement, also claiming that the blast area of the warhead was greater than the range of the weapon. In fact, though the device could be fired to a dangerously short range by an inept crew, the maximum range of both versions is far longer than the distance at which dangerous direct radiation, thermal, shockwave/blast, or debris are likely to endanger the crew. At a range of as little as half of the maximum range for the 120mm version (1 kilometer) no immediate ill effects are likely.

That's a far cry from:
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
WearzManySkins
you did not go to the Utube video.

Wiki's are input by volunteers, information quality.....????
Crusher Bob
Sigh, inside the fallout radius. Not the primary blast or primary radiation radius.This is the difference between death instantly/within a few days and death at around 50 due to cancer.
WhiskeyMac
Wikipedia is a fun "wow, that's cool!" read but don't take anything it says as chip truth. Many blatant errors (dates especially) have been found and anyone with an account can "update" the information. It's a nice way of finding out something exists or some trivial things but other research is definitely required.

The inaccurate facts and information are also a reason why school teachers won't let you use Wikipedia as a source of information.
hobgoblin
it also depends on the topic. for technical stuff id expect it to be fairly accurate. but when it comes to more politically charged stuff, good luck...

and i would say that a nuclear RPG would fall under the latter wink.gif
kzt
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Sigh, inside the fallout radius. Not the primary blast or primary radiation radius.This is the difference between death instantly/within a few days and death at around 50 due to cancer.

It was designed against Chinese/NorK human waves. You set up on the reverse slope of a hill and shoot over the crest. Boom. As you have 500 meters of dirt shielding radiation isn't a problem. Then you hop in you jeep and drive off the stop the next attack.
knasser

Sounds like the nuclear handgrenade from the Paranoia game. It came with a full set of instructions that had to be read and followed in order. They took you through priming the grenade, starting the countdown. The final instruction was something like "11. Throw Grenade no less than 50km away from you."
mfb
clicking around wikipedia the other day, i came across their list of articles that are currently locked due to excessive content dispute. one of the locked articles was Anchors. you know. big, heavy, keeps boats from drifting away.
Shev
QUOTE (knasser)
Sounds like the nuclear handgrenade from the Paranoia game. It came with a full set of instructions that had to be read and followed in order. They took you through priming the grenade, starting the countdown. The final instruction was something like "11. Throw Grenade no less than 50km away from you."

I would LOVE to see an Adept built with nothing in mind but getting his Throw(nuclear hand grenade) skill up to make that 50km a reality. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (mfb)
clicking around wikipedia the other day, i came across their list of articles that are currently locked due to excessive content dispute. one of the locked articles was Anchors. you know. big, heavy, keeps boats from drifting away.

i guess it goes to show that we humans can argue about the strangest of things...

still, im guessing that it was a smaller part (most likely something about the environmental impact of their use) that was the area of dispute.

sadly this leads to the locking of a whole article because there are more or less no other away about it...
Spike
Since we are all on the topic of nuclear weapons now: I was recently reading official military 'hypothetical senarios' involving nuclear weapons used against US troops. What people don't realize is how very huge an impact a few hundred feet can make.

Actually, its the stupidest things than make or break your 'survival' against a nuclear attack. Sure, if you are in ground zero you're hooped, and within a few hundred feet of ground zero, unless you are in a lead lined box buried underground...

That dude standing in a foxhole? He has ten times the survivability of a guy standing on teh ground... from a radiation standpoint. From the 'blast' standpoint he's good. For lower yeild 'tactical nukes'... still bigger than the hand grenade/Davy Crocket senarios, anything outside a kilometer will be able to fight on with good leadership.

Great leadership, really. The biggest threat of a nuke from a strategic standpoint is the demoralization of survivors.

that said: I am aware of the Assault Cannon's rules not matching up with the Fluff... that's what makes for interesting discussions about it. Obviously the writers thought' bigger guns go farther' and left it at that.

As for the hip fired 60mm... standard option for it. They even call the tube a Cannon. The mortar guy that told me about it said it 'wasn't fun'... but I suspect he isn't a fan of things going boom, oddly enough. Either than or he is a mortar man because he likes keeping mountains between him and the guy he's shooting at... grinbig.gif
Shadow
About 5 minutes of research on google puts this in the "Myth Category". The you tube video is inconclusive as it could easily be faked.
mfb
QUOTE (Spike)
that said: I am aware of the Assault Cannon's rules not matching up with the Fluff... that's what makes for interesting discussions about it. Obviously the writers thought' bigger guns go farther' and left it at that.

yeah. ACs irk me, a little. i have to be careful about going off on the subject every time it comes up.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 24 2007, 03:58 PM)
About 5 minutes of research on google puts this in the "Myth Category". The you tube video is inconclusive as it could easily be faked.
Shadow
Oh haha I was looking for a current weapon system, my bad. The original poster made it sound like something that was being field tested today. I didn't think to look at stuff that was a prototype back in the 60's and never issued. At least according that link.
PBTHHHHT
Yeah, I would seriously doubt such a weapon system would be part of today's arsenal in light of current political/social climate. Though, there are the suitcase nukes... then again, it's the russians that have them and they could care less about public pressure. Does the US have an equivalent? Always in pop culture it's the russians lost track of them and such.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Yeah, I would seriously doubt such a weapon system would be part of today's arsenal in light of current political/social climate. Though, there are the suitcase nukes... then again, it's the russians that have them and they could care less about public pressure. Does the US have an equivalent? Always in pop culture it's the russians lost track of them and such.

Well since both sides have artillery shell sized nukes, it would not take much more to have one briefcase/suitcase sized.

Yes we tend to bash the Russians for having such things, but I believe we have them also. Now whose is better secured? That would be a very long thread....

As for US military security on some nukes...,

Officer Type:
"We can not tell you if this ship is or is not carrying nuclear equipped weapons."

Newsman Type:
"But then why did this ship have to go two different locations to onload its weapons? And that one had all those Marines fully kitted out for battle?"

Officer Type Frowns at Newsman Type.....
kzt
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Does the US have an equivalent?

We did. Atomic Demolition Munitions. I've run into two people who had the MOS. One was an engineer, whose job would be stopping the lead element of the commie hordes by blowing up West German bridges, the other was an SF guy who'd be blowing up East German and Ukrainian bridges to stop the 3rd echelon of the commie hordes.

Russia was and is a much more corrupt society and the post commie breakdown was pretty severe. I know of a guy who claims he brokered multiple semi-loads of weapons from East Block bases after the war to group of somewhat crazed right-wing Italians. Dirt cheap. As far as he knows the Italians are still storing them in their bunkers and caves against the feared commie takeover. Harmless but very heavily armed eccentrics. . .
Ed_209a
those eccentric Italians would be well advised to have those nuclear pits closely examined before trying to use them. Pits degrade over time as the useful uranium (or God forbid Plutonium) isotopes turn into not so useful isotopes, and you get an embarrassing fizzle.

The warheads probably weren't well cared for when they were in the WPact hands, and almost definitely aren't being maintained now.

Better yet would be to quietly sell them back to the US State Dept.
Ed_209a
Closer to original topic, The XM-109 "Payload Rifle" has always lovingly whispered "assault cannon" in my ear.
Pthgar
Google/Wiki Carlos Hathcock.

As I'm sure some of you know, he recorded the longest confirmed kill, up until recently, sniping with .50 cal BMG using a freaking M2 with a scope mounted on it.

This inspired all the various 12.~ mm/.50 cal anti-material rifles.
kzt
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
those eccentric Italians would be well advised to have those nuclear pits closely examined before trying to use them.

I think the base commander offered them, but they just wanted the basics. Bulk explosives, hand grenades, machine guns, assault rifles, land mines, mortars, rocket launchers and tons of ammo. Other then the vacation trips to Croatia to help their friends out (this was the 90s) they just collected stuff against a future need.
sunnyside
First off if the new book doesn't have a picture here is the panther assault cannon.

http://cyberpunk.liber-mundi.org/images/Pa...ault_Cannon.jpg

Personally I think the assault cannon to be like a recoiless rifle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoilless_rifle

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/Images/2_0/40.jpg

Except it doesn't bother with the "recoilless" part.

In case you don't feel like reading the article a recoiless rifle has a shape similar to a rocket launcher. The difference is that instead of fireing a rocket it fires a rifled artillery shell. The reason for the shape similarity is that the back of the barrel has holes in it so while the charge is expelling the shell it's also blasting gas out the back so as not to send the trooper flying.

For a time recoiless rifles had better range and accuracy than their Bazooka like counterparts.

I figure sometime in shadowruns history someone said. "Hey we've got freaking trolls wandering around with gyro stabilization rigs. Why don't we scale a recoilless rifle down some and forget the whole recoiless gas system in the back. Screw recoil, they can handle it"

I'm guessing it gets it's range because the SR writiers noticed that it seems as bullets get bigger the range goes up, and just went with that.

I also say scaled down because of both the damage code and the size of the clip in the picture of the panther. Of course I have no idea how much collaboration between the writers and the art department went on.

As for the explosive thing I think of the shell as being "somewhat shapped". With the round not being large enough to merit giving up space for much shaping. So it might just have a harder shell on the back and sides and maybe a slight indent in the front. But that's just me.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (kzt)
I think the base commander offered them, but they just wanted the basics. Bulk explosives, hand grenades, machine guns, assault rifles, land mines, mortars, rocket launchers and tons of ammo.

Smart decision...

IMO, nukes are the perfect example of the saying, "Don't carry a weapon that can get you into more trouble than it can get you out of."

They are super-expensive, and if you use it anywhere but your own country, superpowers start helping you with your overpopulation problem.

I don't understand why smaller countries today are so hot to have nukes. For the price of a half-ass nuclear program you can probably have a good chemical warfare program, _and_ a good ballistic missile program. Something you can actually _use_. Gas your internal enemies, and the US state dept shakes its finger at you. Nuke your internal enemies, and the B2s are on the way.

I think the money would be much better spent on conventional arms and training, anyway.
hobgoblin
Pure politics. Just look at how the US and other governments bend over trying to shut them down.
2bit
hmmm.... world's shortest thread is now well into its second page. . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012