Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Missile Mastery and Grenades
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
IvanTank
I wrote up an adept with missile mastery and power throw 5 who also has grenades. If i peg someone with a grenade, how should the mechanics work?
WearzManySkins
FYI Missile mastery only works on "non explosive weapons", it improves the DV of an improvised weapon, or something like a throwing knife.

Basically you are throwing a grenade ie airfoil.

Figure the range to target.

Roll your successes.

Figure your scatter.

Airfoil is 2d6 meters for scatter, each success reduces the scatter by -4 meters.

So three successes means your maximum scatter roll is reduced to zero.

If your grenades are timed, they go boom on your next turn action.

WearzManySkins

Redspork
I think you misunderstand. I think what he's trying to ask is if a missile mastery character could use a non-aerodynamic grenade first as a non-explosive throwing weapon. Basically, pull the pin on a grenade, bean someone in the back of the head with it, and then have it go off. I'd treat it as a thrown cuball first. Do scatter based off of whether or not it hits the target or goes sailing past.
hobgoblin
heh, interesting concept. first knock him out, then blow him up biggrin.gif

hell, i would love to see a missile mastery adept based around the use of baseballs wink.gif
WhiskeyMac
KK made one of those. I don't remember the name though. Maybe we should ask her.

I think a Missile Mastery Adept utilizing bouncy balls and jacks would be more fun and more likely to pass security checkpoints. Oooh, or one using datasofts, hair picks, marbles, coins, pencils, holo-playing cards or even maglock keys would be cool. Shit, now you got me thinking up all kinds of cool stuff to start tossing at people.
IvanTank
The character concept also has him as a serious gambler, with an edge of 7. Combined with missile mastery, power throw 5, edge 7, he is great with dice for both gambling and killing (7P).
WearzManySkins
Well I would still use a airfoil grenade for this, greater range.

But you can use grenades in contact detonation mode. For the above situation I would put the grenade into contact mode.

If you hit the target, the grenade goes boom, the damage from being thrown and hitting the target.....I believe the explosives in the grenade will do more damage.

As for the damage from being hit, I use the damage from the sap weapon (Str/2+1), but use the range for non airfoil or airfoil depending upon which type you are using.

So Power throw basically adds 10 to your str, if your base str was a ((3+10)/2+1 rounding up is 7 then adding +1 from missile mastery. If your character had a str of 10 then the damage would be 12.

Under most cases the grenades explosion damage would be "better". But in an extreme case of str, you could kill the targeted NPC and the explosion take those around him/her.

As for scatter.....Never mind, this case I would only use scatter if you some how missed the intended target.

WearzManySkins
Demerzel
I don't think there is a contact detination mode.

QUOTE (SR4 p.313)
Grenades are small, self-contained explosive packages. They may come with a built-in timer to detonate after a pre-set amount of time (usually 5 seconds), a motion-sensor set to detonate on impact, or a wireless link set to detonate upon remote command.

If you mean to throw the type of grenade used in a launcher then you'd need some special equipment to arm them, and probably will just end up blowing your hand off anyway.

If a player were to use a grenade in this fashion I would let them hit the target and do the missile mastery damage, then roll for scatter and they have no control over reducing scatter. Their throw was intended to hit for force and damage, not stay there, so you hit great job, it bounces off his face and . . . roll the bones.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Demerzel)

QUOTE (SR4 p.313)
Grenades are small, self-contained explosive packages. They may come with a built-in timer to detonate after a pre-set amount of time (usually 5 seconds), a motion-sensor set to detonate on impact, or a wireless link set to detonate upon remote command.

If you mean to throw the type of grenade used in a launcher then you'd need some special equipment to arm them, and probably will just end up blowing your hand off anyway.

If a player were to use a grenade in this fashion I would let them hit the target and do the missile mastery damage, then roll for scatter and they have no control over reducing scatter. Their throw was intended to hit for force and damage, not stay there, so you hit great job, it bounces off his face and . . . roll the bones.

Brilliant!
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Demerzel)

QUOTE (SR4 p.313)

Detonating upon impact, is basically a contact type of detonator. The results are the same. smile.gif

No I was not speaking of minigrenades launched from a grenade launcher. But I have some ideas on how to pull this off though.

To let them hit the target, do physical damage, the have the grenade go upwards of 18 meters...........and they have no way of reducing the scatter.........

On this I disagree.
hobgoblin
Heh, reading about missile mastery makes me always think of two people. Bullseye, and the partner/assistant to modesty blaise (sp?).
WhiskeyMac
Makes me think of Gambit too. Throwing Weapons 7 - Playing Cards Spec (+2) smile.gif
Redspork
Blue Raja, use cutlery as your throwing weapon. grinbig.gif
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Redspork @ May 23 2007, 10:45 PM)
Blue Raja, use cutlery as your throwing weapon.  grinbig.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

"Mystery Men" biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Men

Mother figure

"Where are all my forks?" biggrin.gif
WearzManySkins
But who wants to 'The Spleen' from that movie as a player character? biggrin.gif
odinson
Sure, take a spell knack with a custom area effect spell thats something like agony or orgy but incapacitates due to a horrible stench.

How about a new thread with all the mystery men stated out? say 200bp's cause they all kinda sucked.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (odinson)
Sure, take a spell knack with a custom area effect spell thats something like agony or orgy but incapacitates due to a horrible stench.

How about a new thread with all the mystery men stated out? say 200bp's cause they all kinda sucked.

I agree lets do it. biggrin.gif
IvanTank
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Makes me think of Gambit too. Throwing Weapons 7 - Playing Cards Spec (+2) smile.gif

I pegged the guy as a cross between Gambit and Matrim Cauthon from the Wheel of Time books.
hobgoblin
thing to remember about gambit is that playing cards was just a quick source of ammo, not a weapon in itself. now bullseye, he is known to kill people with the toss of a playing card...

as in, for gambit, its not the throw of the card thats the attack, its the possibility to release the stored energy of any available object.

ok, so it can be seen as semantics but still...
WhiskeyMac
I figured as much since Gambit just had to touch something to infuse it with explosive power. He was also a gambler/thief so it was a signature move kinda thing for him, I think.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

hell, i would love to see a missile mastery adept based around the use of baseballs wink.gif

...already done that. Her name is Tomoe Sasaki.

Basically she is the descendent of the famed closer Kasuhiro Sasaki who played for the Seattle Mariners in RL.

In SR3 she was pretty bad

In SR4 she's downright deadly.

She has a bat as her WF and also has a liking for grenades as well.

Linky for pic:

Tomoe
hobgoblin
you have some interesting characters, kk smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
...thanks, that's what makes them enjoyable to play.
ornot
I had a player that wanted to build an adept that used nothing but thrown weapons. He wanted to somehow attach grenades to throwing spikes, throw them at people, have them lodge in them, and then explode. Never made the character in the end though.
hobgoblin
heh, how about going for "boomsticks"? basically a stick with a mini-grenade as the tip wink.gif
IvanTank
the scary thing is that a throwing adept can throw a bullet for more damage than shooting it.
Leehouse
QUOTE (IvanTank)
the scary thing is that a throwing adept can throw a bullet for more damage than shooting it.

That, as well as a number of other things, is why I consider most throwing adepts horrid. Good story for why can mitigate but trolls with high strength and high power throw, and missle mastery make my brain hurt.
mfb
yeah, but the range is crap and the rate of fire is crap. you could do the same thing a lot cheaper, build-wise, with an SMG on full-auto and a silence spell.
Leehouse
With power throw 5 and strength 1 you can throw a knife further than a light pistol can fire a bullet so a troll with strength of 5 and power throw 5 can throw it further.

Rate of fire is 2 per IP, until you have to use a simple action to ready more.

Granted I haven't play tested it, because the majority of my group find it a bit odd as well, so this is all the simple math as I see it.
Kyoto Kid
...then you add the Quick Draw power (which Tomoe has) & you become the living semi automatic.
mfb
haha, wow. i think i'd tone that range down a bit, personally. not to mention the rate of fire--throwing an object is a big, slow motion.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Wasabi)
QUOTE (Demerzel @ May 23 2007, 08:40 PM)

QUOTE (SR4 p.313)

Brilliant!

This is similar to how I've handled it.
The only difference is, I let them divide their hits into two piles before it was resisted. One was for the missile mastery attack, and those hits counted for dodge, damage, etc. and the other pile was for scatter reduction.
This character was more interested in doing the grenade damage, but just thought it would be funny to soften him up with the grenade first.
It might not've been the best solution, but it only came up one time, so it worked well.
Kyoto Kid
...which is why you find some way to make it stick to your target (Kleen Tac? just don't glitch eek.gif ).
Cheops
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

There was a Major League pitcher who served as a Marine in WW2. He died at Tarawa Atoll because when his landing craft was approaching the beach the Japanese starting throwing grenades into it. He fielded them and pitched them back to the Japanese like he was playing short stop. He finally died when the 6th one went off in his hand and blew off his arm.

And that's just a highly skilled mundane. I shudder to think what an Adept with Improved Throwing, Baseball (Fielding) Knowledge skill, and some funky adept powers could do.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Cheops @ May 25 2007, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 24 2007, 01:12 AM)

There was a Major League pitcher who served as a Marine in WW2. He died at Tarawa Atoll because when his landing craft was approaching the beach the Japanese starting throwing grenades into it. He fielded them and pitched them back to the Japanese like he was playing short stop. He finally died when the 6th one went off in his hand and blew off his arm.

And that's just a highly skilled mundane. I shudder to think what an Adept with Improved Throwing, Baseball (Fielding) Knowledge skill, and some funky adept powers could do.

and maybe a proper catchers glove?

or how about someone with a bat?
Kyoto Kid
...I've considered having Tomoe use her bat to knock grenades back towards the thrower. Don't know though if the severity of the hit wouldn't set the things off.

Now the fielding Angle, that would work if you had an action before the thrower's next IP. I would also say you would need the Quick draw power to ready & throw it back in the same pass you caught it. Otherwise like the fellow Cheops mentioned (tried to track down his name), you have the thing go off in your hand.
hyzmarca
If the grenade is armed and in your hand we can assume that it is already readied. This is where Missile Parry and reflex enhancements come in handy.
Arz
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...I've considered having Tomoe use her bat to knock grenades back towards the thrower. Don't know though if the severity of the hit wouldn't set the things off.

Now the fielding Angle, that would work if you had an action before the thrower's next IP. I would also say you would need the Quick draw power to ready & throw it back in the same pass you caught it. Otherwise like the fellow Cheops mentioned (tried to track down his name), you have the thing go off in your hand.

I had similar thoughts with my SR3 adept, Shortstop. Eventually decided to get missile parry geased to his antique Giants mitt. Also linked a number of things to his homeground, the baseball diamond.

In SR4 it would be great to line your glove up with a slew of jammers to deaden wireless signals of things you caught.
WearzManySkins
IIRC there is/was a grenade referred to or called "Baseball" grenade. It was/is sphere with the lever arming mechanism on top.

The airfoil grenades would be harder to hit back, their airfoil shape.
mfb
sounds like the M-67, which is the standard grenade used by the US military today.
WearzManySkins
Yes that is the one I recall. Still using it after all these years.....

I recall speaking with some VN vets who tried replacing the comp B with other explosives like C 4.

But then they modified Claymores too, replaced the sheet containing the ball bearings with chains and other nice things.
hobgoblin
funny how that page talk about it being good that a average soldier can throw it 40 meters given that the "casualty producing radius" (nice way to say wounded or killed) is 15 meters.

but then it talks about shrapnel being able to go as far as 230 meters.

how the hell does that match? ballistic trajectory or something?

sounds to me like while it can reliably wound or kill out to 15 meters, it can by value of freak accidents hit stuff much longer of.

hell, didnt someone get shot by a pistol from over a kilometer away at one time?
hyzmarca
Assuming uniform shrapnel distribution, shrapnel density and, thus, wound probability, obeys the inverse-square law.

It could wound someone a 230 meters but it probably won't because at that range there is enough space between the shrapnel pieces to fit a modest-sized home. The probability of someone standing between the shrapnel at that range is far greater than the probability of someone being in the flight path of a piece of shrapnel at that range.

hobgoblin
so if one manage to hit, its a extreme version of bad karma? wink.gif
Cheops
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Otherwise like the fellow Cheops mentioned (tried to track down his name), you have the thing go off in your hand.

Sorry, double checked the guy and got some facts slightly off. His name was Corporal John Joseph Spillane and he must have been a minor league player. Here's the quote from World War II, Time Life Books, "Island Fighting," p 111.

One of the first-wave amtraks that made it all the way to shore was dubbed "The Old Lady."  Among the Marines aboard was Corporal John Joseph Spillane, a baseball player whose throwing arm and fielding ability had already attracted the attention of two major-league teams.  As The Old Lady rumbled up to the sea wall, the Japanese began lobbing hand grenades into her.  Spillane picked the first one off the deck like a hot grounder and threw it back.  He caught the second in mid-air and tossed it overboard.  His fellow Marines watched, horrified but fascinated, as Spillane fielded the third, the fourth and the fifth grenade and pegged them back to the Japanese.  Screams were heard and a machine gun on the sea wall stopped firing.  Then came a sixth grenade.  The Japanese Marine who had thrown it had delayed a few seconds, and it exploded in Spillane's right hand.  The 20 riflemen whose lives he had saved vaulted over the sides of The Old Lady and dashed to the sea wall.  Spillane could not go with them.  His pitching hand was in shreds; a surgeon on a transport later amputated it.
WhiskeyMac
Wow, he blew his career but he saved 20 guys. (Pun intended smile.gif)
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
so if one manage to hit, its a extreme version of bad karma? wink.gif

Extreme indeed. The chance of being wounded at 230 meters is x/52900 where x is the chance of being wounded at 1 meter. It is better odds than winning the lottery by a long shot, but 52,900 is a pretty big number.
Kyoto Kid
...did a little more research on Mr. Spillane.

He was a Minor League prospect for the St Louis Cardinals.

He fielded two gernades on the fly & threw them back

According to the official casualty report from the Tarawa assault he was listed as WIA (not KIA).

Now there is a Cy Young candidate.
Cheops
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Wow, he blew his career but he saved 20 guys. (Pun intended smile.gif)

I'd say that's a pretty good trade-off.
Glyph
QUOTE (Demerzel)

QUOTE (SR4 p.313)

I think Demerzel's solution is the best, and I would add that you couldn't get the throwing damage if you set the grenade to explode on impact, since I take that to mean that it goes off the instant it touches the target.

Doing otherwise lets the adept essentially get two attacks for one (which he could actually still do, if the scatter roll is low), and this is a system that doesn't even let characters do normal punching damage when using a shock glove.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012