Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic ammo
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
mfb
DuckEgg, you're reading things into the text that are not there. yes, an astral form can run away from a fight at speeds a dual creature can't match, just as a guy with Qui 6 can run away at speeds that a Qui 1 guy can't match. but if the astral form chooses to stay and fight, he gets no special bonus to dodge melee attacks. and if the dual creature wins the initiative--which even a starting character can do pretty easily, with the right build--the astral form can't even run away before the dual creature gets an attack in. an astral creature cannot necessarily dodge a melee attack, which means they can't dodge a bullet, which means they can't dodge another astral form at top speed. re-read the section that follows that part you quoted twice. what it's talking about is one astral form escaping another. just because i can escape from a guy with a sword doesn't mean i can dodge his sword if he swings it at me.

or, even better, read the section on astral combat tests, page 174, and show me where it says or even implies that astral characters can dodge melee attacks more easily than physical characters. or the astral interaction section on page 172, where it again fails to mention anything about an astrally perceiving character having any problem at all landing a hit on an astral form. show me anything, anywhere in the rules, where it talks about astral characters dodging anything more easily than physical characters.

QUOTE (DuckEggBlue Omega)
It's only meant to match up on ONE POINT, that's precisely WHY it's pointless to argue any of the other points.

except that you're basing your ideas about astral bullets on your analogy about astral barriers.

QUOTE (DuckEggBlue Omega)
Finally, atleast your arguing the point now. Only problem is intent is not important, if it was, why does an inanimate, non-intelligent object like an astral barrier ATTACK you? Or why would a FAB bullet work on a DN being? Becuase intent is NOT important.

intent's not quite the right concept; after all, a dual creature on an elevator that carries him through a ward doesn't really intend to go through the ward.

something differentiates being hit by a dual creature's melee attack from being accidentally run into by another astral form--we both agree on that; i think the difference is that such collisions do no damage, you think they can be automatically avoided. if you reject the easy-dodge model, you're left with the no-harm-no-foul model.
Darkest Angel
From the rules, if you could make a ranged dual natured weapon, then on impact with the astral entity, astral combat would occur - or, if you ruled the speeds were sufficient the pressing through barriers rules would apply. Either way, the target would automatically fight back against the ranged weapon, and most likely win (suggestions being force 1 spirits). This works because acceleration and velocity are irrelevent in the astral, most mages and spirits can travel faster than bullets.
Pendaric
The straight astral vs astral and the dual natured vs astral rules do not quite meet in the middle. Due to this gap, a grey area of personal preference occures where you can argue for or against the interaction of astral missle weapons. And depending on wether you lean towards the dual natured or the strict astral denotes wether it is or is not possible to have astral missles and how it works.
To date there are cannon astral objects that act just like the physical objects. These are usally beads, dolls, chairs, and occasional building and their ilk, rarely weapons. Should you have such a weapon you also need the missile and vise versa.

The only thing I have seen that even gets close to a 'magic misslie' is a warded missile.
This then force's an astral entity to do battle with the ward as it tries to pass through its form. By dint of the small surface area I would lean towards week wards on such missles. This leads to a magical archer with a bow weapon focus and a warded arrow or a astral percieving gun man with warded bullet.

In conclusion the whys and the wherefores are a matter of personal taste and can be argued as long as two or possibly even one person wishes to.
Darkest Angel
The rules don't need to meet in the middle because they don't need to. If one or other of the targets it's strictly astral, then astral combat occurs. Simple as that, I don't see the problem. It's just a means of projecting a combative critter at something.

If you're shooting a shapeshifter with a dual natured arrow, the shifter takes the physical damage and has to fight the astral component as well, unless the physical component is destroyed in which case he wins by default.
Pendaric
I stand by my conclusion.
DuckEggBlue Omega
QUOTE (mfb)
DuckEgg, you're reading things into the text that are not there.

Well, yes somewhat, but no more so than you.

In both our models, things generally have identical effects, and both can seem equally valid (or invalid). It's just that we each have sticking points which convince us that our model is 'better'.

My foremost sticking point is the relevance of intent to astral combat. I think it needs to have the same significance all the time, regardless of what that is, and since barriers etc don't have it, but perform astral combat, then intent is not necessary. Therfore, it's never necessary. My model satisfies this point for me, yours doesn't. You even say intent is a concept that doesn't work in your model, but aren't offering another explanation why astral forms should simply deflect off each other, but astral barriers attack you.

By extension the lack of mention of astral traffic or rules for it, is an issue for me. Intent or no intent, I think that if the collisions happen there should be rules for them or atleast a mention of them. There are no rules so in my mind they don't happen, and the idea that avoiding other astral forms is somewhat supported by the book, if not implicitly. Again, your model doesn't satisfy this point for me, because as nice an idea as 'no harm, no foul' is, there's always a jerk who will take issue with it. Going back to the vindictive flaw, they react to slights real or 'imagined', and if people are knocking into each other, sooner or later, someone will care.

You on the otherhand take issue with the 'easy dodge' thing because astral forms don't get a bonus to dodging whilst in combat with a DN creature (and by extension shouldn't be able to dodge other, much faster stuff). Like I said, flavour aside (its much easier to hit someone when they're trying to hit you), I'm willing to accept this is purely a mechanics/game balance issue. If you can react and move really fast then you should be able to dodge things easier, but this is never reflected in the combat rules, which is why it isn't reflected in the astral combat rules. Going back to the example of the move-by-wire-4 ninja. He has quickness to burn, get's to act twice before anyone else, but none of that means anything once he enters melee. I am willing to accept that as an explanation for that aspect of the rules, and for me my model still works, you may not accept it.

Bottomline, we may not agree on how things work, but atleast NOW I think we understand where each other is coming from, something I don't think was happening earlier on.

We also seem to agree on the effects, so a question, what would happen if a character took a piece of Force 10 Biofibre, made a club with it, and tried wailing on a ward with it?
hyzmarca
But astral barriers do have intent. They intend to be astral barriers.
mfb
forced conflict is the concept i'm trying to describe, not intent. if you try to go through an astral barrier--intentionally or not--you're forcing a conflict. if you swing a weapon focus at an astral form (and connect), you're forcing a conflict. if you're flying from Seattle to DC and you smack into another mage traveling in the opposite direction, you're not forcing a conflict.
DuckEggBlue Omega
"Forced conflict" is an effect, not a cause.

The above does not actually offer any reason as to WHY a conflict is forced in one instance, but not in the other.
mfb
in the event of the elevator carrying a dual creature through a ward, conflict is forced because neither party is able to escape conflict. in the event of an attack, conflict is forced because at least one side is forcing it. in the event of two mages or a mage and a warded/FAB-filled/whatever bullet, conflict isn't forced because both parties are neutral.

is that in the book? no. but the ramifications are far fewer than the easy-dodge thing, and they can be chalked to "it's magic". "it's magic" makes less sense in the case of being able to dodge mages but not being able to dodge fists or bullets, because there's not even the flimsiest difference between one situation and the other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012