Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some questions.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Aaron
QUOTE (Demon_Bob @ Jun 9 2007, 07:32 AM)
Not trying to hyjack the thread.  Although my question would change the subject of the discussion for a few posts it appears as though the initial subject has been thoroughly discussed.

Got a new player who decided not to spend any points on contacts.
Should I suggest to him that without contacts it will be difficult for him to find any jobs or participate in gathering intel?  Or just should I go with the old friend of a current runner thing?  I was considering giving the runners a free 1/4 contact each, but if someone is going to attempt this type of thing I'm not so sure.

Just make him roll his Fake ID Rating every time he tries to buy something. He will learn that contact are good when he rolls his 2-4 dice and glitches every now and again.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (Aaron)
Just make him roll his Fake ID Rating every time he tries to buy something. He will learn that contact are good when he rolls his 2-4 dice and glitches every now and again.

Oh it gets better. No fake ID. Charisma and Ettiquitte of 1 each.
Aaron
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 9 2007, 08:56 AM)

Oh it gets better. No fake ID. Charisma and Ettiquitte of 1 each.

Then guess who doesn't get to buy things. Or go into Active-PAN-only areas. Or have licensed equipment. Or cross borders. Et cetera.
toturi
You are only encouraging him to get the SINner quality. And without knowing the PC builds, it is difficult to ascertain if he is likely to glitch.
WearzManySkins
rotfl.gif even with the house rule of charisma * 2 he gets really low type of contact, ie 1/1.

I hope he is squatter lifestyle, he is not buying many things on the non black market.
Aaron
QUOTE (toturi)
And without knowing the PC builds, it is difficult to ascertain if he is likely to glitch.

If you are referring to my comment on glitching during a Fake ID check, it's relatively easy to do that when you can't start with a fake that has a Rating higher than 4.
toturi
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 9 2007, 02:51 PM)
And without knowing the PC builds, it is difficult to ascertain if he is likely to glitch.

If you are referring to my comment on glitching during a Fake ID check, it's relatively easy to do that when you can't start with a fake that has a Rating higher than 4.

No, it is not easy to Glitch, if you know how.
Glyph
I would flat out tell him:

"Dude, if you don't have anyone your character knows who can get jobs for him, or sell him illegal stuff, or find out stuff for him, or buy hot loot from him, then you will depend on the other players, and their contacts, for everything. So they'll have you over a barrell. Think their won't be a markup when you send another character over to fence your stuff to his fixer? Think they'll take any sass from you, when all they need to do to remove you from the biz is freeze you out? Do you really want to be the party bitch?"
Aaron
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 10 2007, 04:08 AM)

Wait ... huh? I'm talking about the probability of glitching on four dice or less. What are you talking about?
toturi
QUOTE (Aaron)
QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 9 2007, 03:22 PM)

Wait ... huh? I'm talking about the probability of glitching on four dice or less. What are you talking about?

[ Spoiler ]
Sterling
This is my take on how you stop Mister Rooftop Sniper. But do realize there's many different takes on how the 'World' works in SR4.

I'd simply let your sniper player have a similar encounter with gangers. Let him snipe a few, and remember, an unsilenced sniper rifle is noisy. One five rolled on a perception test lets you hear it. Silenced gunfire... threshold of two (perception test modifier table on page 117). So the way I see Shadowrun in the 2070s is drones. Lots of drones. They're everywhere. The stoplights? Drones. Patrolling beat cops? They're drones. And while Lone Star might not have a drone patrolling every block (except in the AAA and maybe the A areas) they definitely have drones that are able to assess a loud noise and determine that it's gunfire (maybe even the type and caliber! "Drone #43232 reporting burst fire of assault rifle caliber in the vicinity of..."). So in a combat turn or three, your sniper is spotted (well, more likely his gun, as people aren't as easy to spot for a drone) and his position reported. Now, a sniper rifle is a very dangerous thing, right? So why wouldn't you expect a Renraku Stormcloud drone to have one? Hell, even a sport rifle's got decent range for a blimp-style drone that's operating 500 meters above you. Lone Star might be interested in questioning the sniper, so stick and shock ammo might be on the menu, or maybe gel rounds. Regardless, one patrol drone reports to the overwatch Stormcloud and BAM, one severe headache. Or, if a drone can get a visual, Lone Star will want to send at least a Northrup Wasp or two his way.

If you're not comfortable with the streets being so drone heavy, don't forget there's a lot of air traffic in most major cities. I'd expect a muzzle flash to draw attention, and a Lone Star helicopter's a hell of a thing to drop on his head.

In my game, depending on the area, I expect a Lone Star drone to be somewhat nearby and actively listening for trouble. If it hears gunfire, it heads that way if it's close, or reports the gunfire to the Spider rigger on overwatch. If the area's nice enough, a few drones may triangulate the position to make an intercept patrol easy. If it's a crappy area, remember that street or gang mages (and their spirit friends especially) beat snipers.

Of course, the easiest way is to have your prone, rooftop firing sniper to realize that laying on a roof in a crappy area is a great way to meet hungry devil rats. Or ghouls.

Lastly, keep in mind Seattle has a lot of rainfall. And with the recent activity from Mount Ranier, the rainfall is now acidic. If it's not raining, there may be ashfall (aka 'Seattle snow') and neither one makes for a happy sniper.
Demon_Bob
Stick and Shock on a Sniper Rifle is counter productive. Use an Assult Rifle instead. The one with the grenade launcher.
Glyph
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 10 2007, 08:34 AM)
QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 9 2007, 03:22 PM)

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
toturi
QUOTE (Glyph)
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012