Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Craft Katana
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
KarmaInferno
Are we forgetting the steps involving blood of virgins and quenching in magical springs hidden in the mountains?

I shouldn't be surprised that this thread has grown like this. The word "katana" automatically adds at least a page and a half to any thread.

My opinion is, this is not Metallurgyrun, or Swordsmithrun, or even Craftsmanrun. Before you introduce complex, multi-skill rules for making a sword, make sure that your group wouldn't rather just resolve this peripheral task with a simple extended test and get back to playing the game.
That said, and assuming your group does, in fact, want such a focus on craftsmanship in the game, then anyone investing in multiple skills (we're talking about a significant number of BP/karma here) and tons of downtime to make a simple sword should probably have more flexibility than just how long it takes to finish. If they're putting this much BP/time/game focus into this, they ought to be able to make a superior weapon with inherent DV or AP bonuses.
That said, I wouldn't do what I just suggested IMG, but I'd also just let them make a quick Armorer extended test and move on.
YMMV
WearzManySkins
Ok recap

Virgin means raw

Handmade means mage shapes/craft it.

If a shaman makes a virgin handmade telesma ie Kachina Mask.

He acquires a piece of raw wood, raw minerals, raw oils-Olive just for one.

He carves the wood into the desired shape/form, sands and prepares the surface..

He then grinds the minerals into powders and mixes in the oils, making paint.

He then paints the mask.

So from what some here have said mixing the minerals with oil to make a paint, make it no longer virgin.

Carving/shaping the mask with anything other than a stone knife, makes it not raw/virgin?

So if the shaman used a saw powered or not, makes it not virgin materials?

RAW states that the materials used in a virgin item have to be "raw", does not state they have to remain in a "raw" state.

RAW states that handmade means the crafting mage must craft/shape it himself. Does not limit one to the tools needed for same. Check out the Alchemy Microlab, talk about SOTA and highly processed.

As for the quality versus manufactured, well if I buy a weapon focus katana, except for the focus rating, it is the same as a regular purchased katana stats. That means that it can be handmade, yes not easy but doable.

The status of processed or highly processed etc will apply in the enchanting test.

To me it is not the tools used to make an item processed or highly processed but the object/materials being made. To me making a folded sword is processed, if one adds things like Dikote, it is highly processed. One of my reasons behind this is the Alchemy Microlab.

yoippari,

Why do you have a greater threshold for a combat axe over a katana?

I would put the monosword much more difficult threshold than a katana.

As for steps/checks I like them.

Oh as for a side trip, spells like Mix Object, Liquefy Object, Analyze Object, Alter Object Structure\Lattice, and the list goes on, can give a mage crafter insights into how game weapons are made and how to duplicate their materials/structure.
odinson
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
I am very much against the "cult of the Katana". you know, the "Katanas cut through PLANETS because they are KAATAANAAAAS! <drooldrool>" mindset.

Just because most surviving historical katanas are masterwork heirlooms don't infer that all historical katanas were masterwork. The average blades for average foot-soldier samurai just got made into spoons. Wherever/whenever you are, rich soldiers always have better gear.

There are fewer masterwork European-style blades because the cult of the blade ended several centuries before it did in Japan.

I would bet that a top-end longsword was just as good as a top-end katana at the kind of fighting each was designed for.

Personally, I interpret the katana line on the melee weapon chart to really mean "High quality full-size sword", with a katana just being an example.

Yeah but SR was made back in the 80's when Japan was cool. Everything was going to be Japanese. They had fancy electronics and their economy was booming. There was tons of movies about how cool Japan was and katanas were cool. Thats probably more of the reason why Katanas are still featured as a separate sword in the SR books. I mean there are still Japanese megacorps. I mean if you imagined a bleak dystopian future starting from today and going down that long road, China would have taken over half the world and there would be a huge fascist state over most of Asia, probably Australia to. Katanas wouldn't be featured as much as crazy chinese weapons. Everyone would want kung fu. It'd be more like Hong kong cinema met blade runner.
Ravor
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Ok what then defines "Highly Processed" then? Manufacturing techniques, material composition?

Yes to both, but of course its a matter of degrees.

Turning Iron into Steel is never going to result in a 'Virgin Steel Talisman', and if you don't want to get hit with "Highly Processed" then you need to be twisting and folding the metal by hand, no automated machines doing your work for you.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Again reference the description of the alchemy microlab, encase you feel manufacturing techniques is one way.

Sure, and a mircolab is Highly Processed if you would want to Enchant one, now whether or not using one counts as highly processing depends on what it does, and based off Winterhawk's Shadowtalk I'd say that it doesn't actually do anything that your average basement lab can't also do, other then storing easily and providing its own gas/water.
odinson
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
As for the quality versus manufactured, well if I buy a weapon focus katana, except for the focus rating, it is the same as a regular purchased katana stats. That means that it can be handmade, yes not easy but doable.

So why is that purchased katana a handmade one. would not the corps who make and sell them get a brand new excellent quality katana right of their manufacturing line and have their top end mages come along and turn it into a focus. Yeah, its more difficult, but that might have something to do with the availability being so high.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (odinson @ Jun 11 2007, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jun 11 2007, 11:45 AM)

So why is that purchased katana a handmade one. would not the corps who make and sell them get a brand new excellent quality katana right of their manufacturing line and have their top end mages come along and turn it into a focus. Yeah, its more difficult, but that might have something to do with the availability being so high.

I did not state that the purchased katana was handmade. smile.gif Just that making one from hand was a "possibility" be not an easy task though.

In Shadowrun, mages are not common, so it states, but adventures and others things seem to show otherwise. smile.gif I do not see a magical Hanwei factories cranking out magical swords. Corps will use/employ mages to further their Corps line or to protect the Corp line etc.

Ravor, so you are saying basically if I grind "raw" minerals into powder, mix it with "raw" olive oil and make into paint, it is no longer a virgin telesma? That the process of mixing two raw virgin things, makes them no longer virgin?

Making steel is merely the process of adding/mixing the desired amounts of carbon to iron.

As of the processed issue,

Manufactured Low-Tech, I would see the sword being forged by manually swinging a hammer, ie manually powered shaping tools, etc.

Manufactured High-Tech, I would see the sword being forged using a Trip Hammer, ie powered shaping tools.

Highly Processed Objects I would see it the katana was Dikoted or used ceramic composite densalloy with a compressed molecular structure.

Winterhawk's shadowtalk, please give some examples or a link?
odinson
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
QUOTE (odinson @ Jun 11 2007, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jun 11 2007, 11:45 AM)

I did not state that the purchased katana was handmade. smile.gif Just that making one from hand was a "possibility" be not an easy task though.

And what I was saying is that the weapon focus you get from the store is not handmade it comes off of the production line and is of high quality.
hyzmarca
Most high quality "production" katanas today are handmade. They're just handmade in relatively large quantities. The demand for high-quality katanas isn't exactly so great that it cannot be satisfied using by traditional techniques on modern steel Pakistani assembly-line katanas generally won't hold an edge and will break if you look at them the wrong way.
yoippari
I don't care what tools were used. What I figure is important is the "purity" of the materials. That they are unchanged from the way you took them out of the ground. Which now that I think about it a heat treated steel is changed in that the heat treat changes the crystalline structure of the steel to form many really tiny crystals instead of larger and less consistent crystals that would be natural. So I think even a heat treat would be out of the question from "evil gm". So the best blade you can hope for is either the obsidian knife or a club with obsidian wedged into it to make a really sharp club.

The combat axe threshold is for two reasons. It has higher damage/reach/ap. Balance wise it should be harder to make. It also has the whole sliding blade built into the handle thing that adds to its realistic difficulty.

The monofilament sword has the exact same stats as the katana but it is cheaper and harder to get. Balance wise it should have the same threshold. Realism wise monofilament is a "miracle of technology" meaning it works because SR says it does. So with such miracles along with the rappelling gloves that allow you to handle it I'm assuming there is some method available to attach the wire.

Why they are equal is because a katana has more complex junk that goes into it's making (the clay for heat treating for one example) than your typical european style sword. A monofilament has one big step that regular european swords don't have.
Darkest Angel
Katanas have the stats in SR that they do because they are stated to be TWO-HANDED, that is the single thing that makes them "more powerful" than a regular sword which is considered ONE-HANDED.

The Saxons used the same methods of producing blades as the Japanese were for Katanas over 1000 years before the Katana was invented. Furthermore, the Katana was never a primary weapon, that was the No-Dachi or Naginata. A European Broadsword or Bastard Sword of the same era was superior on many many levels, they had to be to deal with the heavy plate and chain mail that was prevalent those days.

[/rant]

Your Katana is not Virgin. Buy one from a store and decorate the hilt with Orichalcum.
yoippari
And a two handed sword would take longer and have different mechanics than a regular sword. In this case katanas also have all this over engineering going on during heat treat and the blade shape and hilt construction. So they have a higher threshold.
bait
I have solution for this as one damn test. ( Based off the social skill / language limit.)

Artisan skill isn't really applicable to the test, its more a Knowledge skill so I'd advise using Knowledge ( Japanese Swordsmithing). Its very hard to get this skill and tends to make you high sought after by the traditional Japanese set. ( Otherwise your just making an approximation of the katana via armorer exclusively.)

Now for the test part you use armorer+logic, where armorer rating is limited by the amount of Knowlege ( Japanese Swordsmithing.)

As for the katana building process as the basis for a telesma, it can be done as a Handmade telesma if using modern-processed materials or Virgin telesma with hand mined raw materials. ( Its possible to make steel without damaging the mana levels but it would take extra effort and require extra research in order to do.)

Furthermore, the Katana was never a primary weapon, that was the No-Dachi or Naginata.

Actually it was the primary weapon along side various spears during the middle and later periods. The no-dachi was only used during the early period along side a pre-cursor katana that was used as a calvary sword.
laughingowl
Actually from my reading of the virgin rating you can do anything 'processing' wise to it.

'A flint' knife is shaped but not changed (it is virgin flint).

A few hrose hairs and a skull are not processed.

They way I see it you really couldnt have virgin 'leather' (virgin hide possibly but the curing process would make it hand-made).

The only POSSIBLE way to have a 'virgin' kantana is iff you could find a block of steel somehow 'natural' (freak occurence from chunk of iron and carbon deposit in a vulcano?) Though even here I am not sure since from my reading you could file down the chunk of ore into what you want, but the repeated hammering folding / forging process would make it processed.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Darkest Angel)
Katanas have the stats in SR that they do because they are stated to be TWO-HANDED, that is the single thing that makes them "more powerful" than a regular sword which is considered ONE-HANDED.

You see, I always assumed that it was because everything Japanese is automatically better. SR is a product of the 80s back when Japan was going to conquer the world economy, every idiot and his brother were opening "ninjutsu" Mcdojos, and mullets were cool.
Ravor
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Ravor, so you are saying basically if I grind "raw" minerals into powder, mix it with "raw" olive oil and make into paint, it is no longer a virgin telesma? That the process of mixing two raw virgin things, makes them no longer virgin?

Yep, if you want to color your Virgin Foci then you are going to have to do it caveman style.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Making steel is merely the process of adding/mixing the desired amounts of carbon to iron.

Sure, but why stop at Steel? Why not allow some super Alloy to be considered Virgin used since it is merely adding/mixing the desired ammounts of other matrials.

For that matter, Dikote is basically just a type of diamond coating, which as we all know is merely carbon which has been heated under pressure so why shouldn't a dikoted blade also be considered virgin as well?

Its a slipperly slope, and its spelled out in Street Magic page 83 that Virgin weapons are supposed to be fragile and primate. So flint blades and cold iron are in, steel and dikote are out.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Winterhawk's shadowtalk, please give some examples or a link?

Street Magic, page 79. It's nothing special but it does give us an idea of what a mircolab really is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012