Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Munchkin Type
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Garrowolf
I might think differently then others about this but my definition of a munchkin is a player that wants the most powerful character he can generate so that they can do as much of the game by themselves as they can. I've seen players that create min maxed characters that could have wiped out the rest of the team very quickly but spent all of their time supporting the rest of the team. The ones that I have a problem with are the adepts and the mages because that is where I see players create characters so they don't need other characters. They create mages that out shoot and move sammies. They always want to sneak off and do their own thing. They don't integrate into the team, they either try to dominate it or ignore it.

Darkest Angel
No one has said anything that really disagrees with my point. The Rigger posted is very focused, and you're all trying to counter that fact by saying "oooh if he buys this, or works on his skills at that..." I mean, that's the point I'm making; the fact he has all his eggs in one basket and has to go out and invest in other things afterwards to round himself off. Where's the argument?

My original post
Me
None are inherently broken, they can all be horribly abused, but it always makes them a one trick pony.

Is still valid. The guy is a Rigger, he does Rigger stuff and he does it well, but he can't do jack else. The same would apply to any other archetype that's so artificially focused. My main issue with such a character who insisted on never leaving his van is that I'd find it implausable that such a socially inept hermit could find work.
Kagetenshi
That character is very focused in something that allows a character to be part of almost everything non-magical out of chargen.

Also, when did Charisma 6, Etiquette 4, Good Reputation 2 become socially inept?

~J
Critias
QUOTE (Darkest Angel @ Jun 20 2007, 12:02 PM)
My main issue with such a character who insisted on never leaving his van is that I'd find it implausable that such a socially inept hermit could find work.

Why? You're able to talk to all of us without leaving your house, right?

So in the even MORE wired, artificial, used-to-the-technology world of the 2060's, why COULDN'T you do any number of business transactions without ever leaving your van? In fact, given the paranoia and lust for privacy both Shadowrunners and Johnsons are known for, wouldn't it be preferred by many to never have to look one another in the eye, shake hands, and invite physical violence by meeting other meatbags face to face?

EDIT -- and, yeah. Saying "he's only good at Rigger stuff" is like saying "he's only good at everything that happens in the real world or the Matrix, what a loser." It's not like Riggers are just wheelmen. They can handle long ranged combat, they can handle mid ranged firefights/assaults, they can handle explosives, recon, decking, communication, and, of course, chases/getaways...and all from the safety and security of a ridiculously bulletproof van somewhere off-site to begin with (so even if they screw up and a drone "dies" the Rigger's still kicking).

Wow, they can't go astral. They must suck, these Riggers.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (mfb)
i'm saying it's contrived to force the rigger to do it. why should the rigger--or anyone who isn't the team's designated face--have to say anything at all to the Johnson, much less roll a social skill? heck, why shouldn't the rigger be sitting in the van during every meet, providing overwatch and countersurveillance?

I more or less agree with this.
I mean, sure there will be reasons for more than just the face to be there, like maybe you need someone to help the face get the hell out of there if things go bad.

But in general, expecting an entire team of hardened criminals to gather in one room, without any overwatch, with people whom they do not know and do not trust, that's....that's just silly.
The Johnson might as well tell you to meet him at the docks alone at midnight, and be sure you're all standing on the big red "X" on the ground, under the grand piano suspended by a single frayed rope. Can't miss it. Oh, and there will be punch and pie.
djinni
QUOTE (Garrowolf @ Jun 20 2007, 03:15 AM)
I might think differently then others about this but my definition of a munchkin is a player that wants the most powerful character he can generate so that they can do as much of the game by themselves as they can.

there is an actual definition of a munchkin, which as time progresses everyone tends to throw into the same alotment as other roleplaying styles, similar to table top gamers saying "Broken" or "Cheesy."
Calling someone a munchkin is insulting them because they bring nothing beneficial to the gaming table. you also cannot accurately define someone as munchkin by looking at their character sheet. which everyone does. basically the majority claim any character that is min maxed is munchkin.
"A munchkin is a player who plays a normally cooperative game exclusively for the purposes of "winning", usually at the cost of the other players' enjoyment of in an RPG or a MUD game. The term is also frequently incorrectly used in reference to powergamers and to immature players in general."
similar to your statement munchkins are infamous for various degrees of cheating, willfully misinterpreting rules that work against them while loudly proclaiming ones that work in their favor. As a matter of taste they selectively obey the letter of rules while perverting the spirit blatantly.
however the Power gamer attempts this feat as well with a slight alteration, he does it for the benefit of the group. he doesn't get upset when someone else has a more powerful weapon, or effect, or spell, etc... he is glad someone has it.
Kagetenshi
There is no actual definition of "munchkin". It's a vague term that can mean anything from "character optimizer" to "stupid annoying idiot". In one particular famous thread, it meant "player of a character who doesn't spend all of any combat soiling themselves and screaming in terror".

~J
mfb
you just don't understand how real people react to combat!
mfb
i think it's probably not stickied for the same reason that the slaughter of native american tribes doesn't fill a huge place in most US history textbooks.
djinni
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
There is no actual definition of "munchkin". It's a vague term that can mean anything from "character optimizer" to "stupid annoying idiot". In one particular famous thread, it meant "player of a character who doesn't spend all of any combat soiling themselves and screaming in terror".

~J

since you are making the claim I see a lack of evidence....
Kagetenshi
The moderators have no respect for historic threads. They even deleted the text of the first post on the "What Would Xena Do" thread.

Edit: djinni: there is a search feature. Use it to search for the word "munchkin". See if you can find a consistent manner in which it is used—I'll give you a big hint, the answer is "no". I'm big on presenting evidence with assertions, but just like I'm not going to present to you my evidence if I claim that objects exert a force on each other based on their mass or that occasionally water falls from the sky, I'm not going to present to you evidence for other things that are well-established or that should be obvious from casual examination.

I care about backing my points up with evidence, but my role on this earth is not to demonstrate the obvious to you.

~J
mfb
yeah, any claim of munchkinism is sure to be refuted by somebody--even if it's only the guy whose character/play style is in question.

besides, you can't prove a negative. if someone says X does not exist, and you think it does, it's your job to show an instance of X--not his job to show that there are no instances of X.
djinni
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I care about backing my points up with evidence, but my role on this earth is not to demonstrate the obvious to you.

well established where? dumpshock is not the end all be all and things that are used improperly here does not make them right.
I do not use the search function on dumpshock to define anything, I use the real world. sorry you don't do the same.
mfb
haha, "the real world". okay, go ahead and call the real world to the stand, and have it explain to us all exactly what the term "munchkin" means.
djinni
QUOTE (mfb)
haha, "the real world". okay, go ahead and call the real world to the stand, and have it explain to us all exactly what the term "munchkin" means.

I don't need to the information is readily available. but as we will begin arguing it would be best to drop this line of discussion as it is off topic.
mfb
so, okay, you get mad at Kage for not backing up his claims, and then you turn around and do the same thing?

not that it matters. the source of your definition is not the source, it is a source with no authority on the matter. the definition of "munchkin", as well as any other general gaming term, is inherently flexible because of the way the game is played--specifically, the fact that it is played by individual groups with little or no sharing of experience between those groups. every group plays every game differently; what constitutes a munchkin in one group may well be welcomed in another. because there is no "wrong" way to play an RPG, there can be no "wrong" way to define the elements that detract from the experience of playing an RPG.
djinni
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 20 2007, 05:30 PM)
so, okay, you get mad at Kage for not backing up his claims, and then you turn around and do the same thing?

not that it matters. the source of your definition is not the source, it is a source with no authority on the matter. the definition of "munchkin", as well as any other general gaming term, is inherently flexible because of the way the game is played--specifically, the fact that it is played by individual groups with little or no sharing of experience between those groups. every group plays every game differently; what constitutes a munchkin in one group may well be welcomed in another. because there is no "wrong" way to play an RPG, there can be no "wrong" way to define the elements that detract from the experience of playing an RPG.

I didn't get mad at Kage, I just asked for more than just "words" since a quick history search did not bring up anything relavent. and the history of the word contradicted what was claimed. dumpshock is not a valid source for defining a word. hence I discounted it as credible. as for proof...just look it up. I don't have to hand you a dictionary for that. the definition i gave was quoted, hence italicized
mfb
Dumpshock is a valid source for defining a word as it is used on Dumpshock. and even then, the definition is fuzzy.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (djinni @ Jun 20 2007, 05:26 PM)
I don't need to the information is readily available.

Give me any authoritative source (you'll have to provide an explanation for why it's authoritative, of course), and I'll consider your position. Any whatsoever. I'm all for not letting incorrect use of words become correct by default, but this isn't a word with a long history or anything here.

~J
djinni
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Give me any authoritative source (you'll have to provide an explanation for why it's authoritative, of course). Any whatsoever. I'm all for not letting incorrect use of words become correct by default, but this isn't a word with a long history or anything here.

~J

it doesn't have a "long" history true and the authoritative source is the method for which terms are defined in english, as I have already stated, dictionary.
I could explain that using google to search for a definition will give you a wiki page with a long and detailed description... but I'm sure it would be refuted as not an authority without even looking to the quoted references of the term. hence I said look it up...dictionary...since it did make it into an alternate definition of the word in the dictionary in the 90's
Kagetenshi
I did look it up in a dictionary. The American Heritage had this to say:

munch·kin       (mÅ­nch'kÄ­n)
n. 
1. A very small person.
2. Informal A child.
3. Informal A minor official.

[After the Munchkins, characters in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.]

~J
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
It's funny how everone seems to be opting all their actions during firefigts. Everbody has 720° vision, never fumble a clipchange, never have any fear of getting shot, no shellshocks, no grogginess if hit, supprssing fire is useless and combat fatigue, and always doing as much as you can during a round of combat. never surprised. and so on.

It makes me sad that that thread was closed. I think it should be stickied. It's a major part of DSF history.

I just read that whole thing. It was both insanely funny and incredibly disturbing.
mfb
you're missing the point. even if everyone uses the same words to define the term, it's still not a label that is going to be applied the same way by everyone. the fact that you call something powergaming that someone else calls being a munchkin does not make them wrong.
djinni
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 20 2007, 05:52 PM)
you're missing the point. even if everyone uses the same words to define the term, it's still not a label that is going to be applied the same way by everyone. the fact that you call something powergaming that someone else calls being a munchkin does not make them wrong.

I'm missing the point?
if you regularly use the wrong word to describe something you go right ahead.

Kage sorry your dictionary didn't have the full definition, I assumed they would, but considering it only had 3, and they were only a few words long at that, its missing alot of info, unless of course you just looked it up online. I'll get the title of the one I referenced and PM it to you.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jun 20 2007, 05:04 PM)
It's funny how everone seems to be opting all their actions during firefigts. Everbody has 720° vision, never fumble a clipchange, never have any fear of getting shot, no shellshocks, no grogginess if hit, supprssing fire is useless and combat fatigue, and always doing as much as you can during a round of combat. never surprised. and so on.

It makes me sad that that thread was closed.  I think it should be stickied.  It's a major part of DSF history.

I just read that whole thing. It was both insanely funny and incredibly disturbing.

I'd propose writing up a rule set for Creepwoodrun, but I think it would be too rules-heavy. You'd have to roll each combat round for spontaneous defecation, and then we'd need rules for what happens if you get two or more spontaneous defecation results in the space of less than 5 hours. Do we transition from solid to liquid to straight up acrid intestinal fluid? When does the character experience fatal dehyrdation as from dysentry?

Also, what is the damage code of projectile vomitting?
Darkest Angel
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
That character is very focused in something that allows a character to be part of almost everything non-magical out of chargen.

Also, when did Charisma 6, Etiquette 4, Good Reputation 2 become socially inept?

~J

Charisma is strength of character, yes it effects how you present yourself, but without the skill you could just come across as an arrogant asshole. Good reputation is just that, it's the fact that you have a reputation for being good, and thus people will take you as a veritable 'authority' and will let things slide if you say or do something stupid because you've made up for that failing somewhat in advance, it doesn't mean you will say the right things.

It is the Etiquette 4 is that actually matters, and I'll give you that, but you still can't cut deals or extract information from hostiles.

As for all the team going to the meet - how is that abnormal? 90% of our first contacts with Mr J are in the back rooms of clubs and bars, where security is dealt with neutrally, and any attempt to spy, and by extention overwatch remotely, is nigh impossible. That's all arranged by the trusted 3rd party, usually the fixer, who brings employee and employer together.

I seriously don't get why you think that character is munchkin.
mfb
the fact that i can go right ahead--and have lots and lots of people agree with me, and have lots of others disagree--is the point you're missing. every group games differently, which means a player who is a munchkin--a problem--in one group won't be in another.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Darkest Angel @ Jun 20 2007, 06:26 PM)
Charisma is strength of character, yes it effects how you present yourself, but without the skill you could just come across as an arrogant asshole.

Charisma 6 is a +1/-1 TN on Interrogation/Intimidation (depending on role as target or aggressor). It is also six dice on defaulting to an attribute.

Good reputation is just that, it's the fact that you have a reputation for being good, and thus people will take you as a veritable 'authority' and will let things slide if you say or do something stupid because you've made up for that failing somewhat in advance, it doesn't mean you will say the right things.

It means a -2 TN on all social skill tests, which means you are more likely to say the right things. Or at least get the right results, which is the important part.

It is the Etiquette 4 is that actually matters, and I'll give you that, but you still can't cut deals or extract information from hostiles.

On Negotiation, that character rolls 6 dice at a TN of +2, which isn't fantastic but is serviceable in a pinch. On Intimidation/Interrogation, the character rolls 6 dice with just a -1 penalty. That's plenty for any situation that shouldn't have been left to someone else.

~J
mfb
QUOTE (Darkest Angel)

so everyone who doesn't have negotiation and interrogation for their non-face characters is... doing it wrong?

edit: now that i think about it, actually, legwork rolls use the etiquette skill. so the character can do just as much legwork as any other character.
Darkest Angel
assuming he knows people... which he clearly doesn't.

Anyhow, would you regard Kage's char as munchkin?
mfb
depends on the game and the player. in the hands of the wrong person, yes, this character could be a munchkin. it's a very efficient build. as played by Kage, i'd say probably not.

the character knows two people, and the friend-of-a-friend rules mean those two contacts can provide him with information outside their specialty in a pinch. not every time, but then, it's not the rigger's job to get that information every time. besides that, once the character picks up a pocsec, he can use his Etiquette skill on the Matrix without needing any contacts at all. and even if he did have 'useful' contacts, he still wouldn't need to get out of the van to get info from them because they have phones.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 20 2007, 03:40 PM)
The moderators have no respect for historic threads. They even deleted the text of the first post on the "What Would Xena Do" thread.

Searching for that I found one on depleted Uranium Bone Lacing.

So I had to like get on my cell and like call all my friends and say," Duude! There is an accident on 5th and Vine. Its like totally rad man. You aught to go check it out."

Ok, so can we now get back on track with this Friendly discussion. Next time I'll pick my topics a bit more carefully.
Kagetenshi
The thread I was talking about was on the old boards, and everything amusing got deleted. Some guy who'd gotten tempbanned for something I can't remember made a sockpuppet and called upon us to pirate scans of all of the Shadowrun books "for the people", or something. The amusement came from the rambling, deranged rant that accompanied it.

~J
Critias
Oh, CreepwoodRun, how I missed you. I can't believe no one bought up the license during the tumultuous corporate buy-outs and whatnot. CWR d20 was gonna be huge. Huge.

In related news, I can't wait to see what dictionary has a definition of "munchkin" in it that has anything to do with gaming.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Critias)
In related news, I can't wait to see what dictionary has a definition of "munchkin" in it that has anything to do with gaming.
Critias
I'd hardly call an on-line RPG wiki's Lexica a "dictionary," in the classical sense of the word.
Kage sorry your dictionary didn't have the full definition, I assumed they would, but considering it only had 3, and they were only a few words long at that, its missing alot of info, unless of course you just looked it up online. I'll get the title of the one I referenced and PM it to you.

The one he "referenced" is what I'm curious about. I doubt his "dictionary" is a Webster's.
Link
As an addendum to the poll, would anyone have voted differently had the "Rocker" archetype from SR1 been included. Some slick "Face" might fast-talk some people but a "Rocker" can change the world*.

*See Shadowbeat
Kagetenshi
Oh yeah. The sheer awesome of a well-designed Rocker can actually kill players and GMs.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Critias)
I'd hardly call an on-line RPG wiki's Lexica a "dictionary," in the classical sense of the word.

dictionary

1526, from M.L. dictionarium "collection of words and phrases," from L. dictionarius "of words," from dictio "word." Probably first Eng. use in title of a book was in Sir Thomas Elyot's "Latin Dictionary" (1538) though L. Dictionarius was so used from c.1225.

One of many here, they disagree about whether a book binding is neccessary.
Critias
Herald, have you followed the discussion thus far, and to the point where "dictionary" even came up? Specifically, the posts where what's-his-fuck derisively commented about "Just looking it up on-line" and "I'd link to Wiki, but no doubt you'd dismiss it out of hand," and crap like that? Then, later in the post, mentioned he'd PM Kaggie with the dictionary he'd used?

Why are you being pedantic with me over those two being pedantic with one another? They're arguing over whether munchkin (as a gaming term) has a real definition or not, you're arguing over what counts as a dictionary and what doesn't...when will the madness stop?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Critias)
Why are you being pedantic with me over those two being pedantic with one another?

I was bored.
Critias
Fair 'nuff.
Lindt
QUOTE (Link)
As an addendum to the poll, would anyone have voted differently had the "Rocker" archetype from SR1 been included. Some slick "Face" might fast-talk some people but a "Rocker" can change the world*.

*See Shadowbeat

I would have. Mostly because an excuse to wear lycra and assless chaps just makes me grin like an idiot. Screw professionalism.

As for how they can be munchkin-ized? Not a blessed clue.
Kagetenshi
If they'd release the Shadowbeat PDF, I'd be able to tell you.

Also if I found my paper copy, but the place to look is a thousand miles away.

~J
Critias
I have a copy of Shadowbeat, but I'm afraid to open it. I just live in an 800 foot one bedroom apartment, though. The radical released should I open the cover would tear this place apart.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Critias)
I have a copy of Shadowbeat, but I'm afraid to open it.  I just live in an 800 foot one bedroom apartment, though.  The radical released should I open the cover would tear this place apart.

...well put rotfl.gif

...still my all time fave of all the SR supplements.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012