Full Version: Emergence Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Actually, for those too.

Honestly.

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
If I find those "shimmering net" quotations, I might post them because they do sound very much like the modern Matrix/AI/nodes description given in-thread here

Actually, it's an allegory of the 'threads of fate' that bind people together. In fact, the couple at the end are seen to be the Herberts themselves, releasing the characters.
Talia Invierno
Yes, honestly.

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
If I find those "shimmering net" quotations, I might post them because they do sound very much like the modern Matrix/AI/nodes description given in-thread here

Actually, it's an allegory of the 'threads of fate' that bind people together. In fact, the couple at the end are seen to be the Herberts themselves, releasing the characters.

... well, this has the potential to get seriously off-topic, so I'll limit this commentary to only this one post.

But I really should mention that this take is far from the mainstream view (there isn't a canon one): and not one thing in the book suggests that interpretation in any way that isn't pure reader interpretation and speculation. Among other things, Herbert has never once inserted his own views into a character previously, and from all the notes for unfinished Dune projects at the time of his death (including a sequel), he wasn't planning on saying farewell to those characters any time soon.

The closest to consensus is that Daniel and Marty are new types of Face Dancers from the Scattering, who are feared by the Honored Matres and who have learned how to manipulate the shimmering net of consciousness and spacetime to see and even capture even no-ships. I've already posted almost the only statement in the book from their pov. Here is Duncan's first vision of them:
Reassuring faces. That thought aroused Idaho's suspicions because now he recognized the familiarity. They looked somewhat like Face Dancers, even to the pug noses ... And if they were Face Dancers, they were not Scytale's Face Dancers. Those two people behind the shimmering net belonged to no one but themselves.

But, really, the only person who knows for absolute certain is the author -- and he is dead.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Yes, honestly.

Way too much time. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012