Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergence Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Jaid
there's probably a latent technomancer quality coming up in unwired wink.gif
bibliophile20
Probably; and there will probably also be Aspected Technomancers, Limited Technomancy (i.e. geas), Glitched, and other such qualities (as the rules for TMs seem to be mirroring those for magicians)
Demonseed Elite
I can think of much scarier things to do with Pax than make her a technomancer.
Rotbart van Dainig
Let's hope JBN had some common sense.

dead.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
You woulden't happen to be able to provide an online link to that, would you, Fisty?

Cell Phone Stalking

Came to me from Bruce Schneier's blog about digital security of various natures. There's a nice summary in his blog post with a link to his source.
fistandantilus4.0
Same story, different article/author. Thanks, I was getting annoyed by that.
Elve
One bad thing in an otherwise nice book...

The 80 years old dwarven lawyer...
mfb
spike dwarf?
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Elve)
One bad thing in an otherwise nice book...

The 80 years old dwarven lawyer...

I noticed that too...

There are a few other errors, though, but nothing beyond a minor typo.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (mfb)
spike dwarf?

I'd missed that part. Maybe we can get some clarification from Synner? Is that correct, or an error?
Jaid
hmmmm... or it's the immortal dwarf plot line coming into the non-german books =D
Ancient History
Spike Dwarf.
[/edit] Not, repeat, not a changeling.
Rotbart van Dainig
Changeling?
fistandantilus4.0
I thought people only SURGEd into trolsl and orks, not dwarves and elves? So is this a spike dwarf? I mean, who wrote that part? Is there some way we can confirm that either way?
Ancient History
Sorry, brainflop. I was thinking of something else. But yeah, Spike Dwarf.

Or...am I just fucking with you?
[/edit]Not fucking with you.
Buster
Maybe the 80 year old dwarf is an artifact from 3.0 when adults could goblinize into metahumans...and "otaku" meant "hacker" instead of "fanboy". It still makes me laugh whenever I see that.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Sorry, brainflop. I was thinking of something else. But yeah, Spike Dwarf.

Or...am I just fucking with you?
[/edit]Not fucking with you.

... or are you...
Elve
QUOTE (Buster)
Maybe the 80 year old dwarf is an artifact from 3.0 when adults could goblinize into metahumans...and "otaku" meant "hacker" instead of "fanboy". It still makes me laugh whenever I see that.

Adults could never goblinze into dwarves or elves...
Ancient History
Let us clarify: you are always born an elf or a dwarf, you always goblinize into an ork or a troll.
Trax
Spike Dwarve/Elf, people born shortly before the 6th world when the mana level wasn't supposed to be high enough to allow it (but some appeared anyway.)
Moon-Hawk
20 years is a big spike. Just how early did spike babies start occuring in the SR timeline?
hobgoblin
hard to tell as they where not documented as such at first. they where written of as sever mutations or something...
fistandantilus4.0
IIRC, from Brainscan, Dodger's YOB was in 1998.
MYST1C
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
IIRC, from Brainscan, Dodger's YOB was in 1998.

He mentions witnessing the 2005 New York earthquake on TV as a child in one of the novels...
Ancient History
Century ferrets in '01, Luther the Elven Nosferatu that should spontaneously explode just for existing in 17th century...
Zen Shooter01
To get back to Emergence...

Fuck, am I glad to see real swear words!

Frag, drek, and slot were always dumb, dumb, dumb. Yes, turns of phrase come and go, but the four letter Anglo-Saxon vocabulary has been with us for centuries, and is good for centuries more. There's no reason to think shit will have gone out of style in 2070.
Dashifen
Good point, Zen. I understand why the colloquialisms were used in the past (probably for PC and decency reasons) but I always found them jarring. I didn't even notice the swear words in SR4 when it came out -- my brain just accepted them and moved on. 'Course, I curse like a sailor when I want to, so perhaps I'm desensitized.

</hijack>
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Dashifen)
'Course, I curse like a sailor when I want to, so perhaps I'm desensitized.

Lucky SOB. I curse like a sailor whether I want to or not. It's one of my worst habits. sarcastic.gif
Spike
Just wanted to point out that the 'stalker cell phones' article places them just a little ways outside of Seattle.

Shadowrun Lives!

Or something.
Sterling
Spike dwarves are not as surprising as say, spike elves. We have midgets and dwarves in our society right now.

A midget (which is now an offensive term, my apologies to any little persons reading this forum) is an individual who is significantly smaller than average but the body proportions are correct.

A dwarf is someone significantly smaller than average whose proportions are not average. They have longer arms in proportion to their legs, etc. So technically spike dwarves have been around for a long time. They just aren't as blatant as the (typically) tall, thin, and pale people with the pointy ears.

As for Doctor Halberstam, I'm glad to see he's back, as there's probably no other (fictional) person in Shadowrun I've ever hated more than that fragger. Ever since Virtual Realities, the concept of his research has always offended me at a gut level, and I look forward to the fact that if Emergence is played out as suggested, he'll die many many gruesome deaths.

My review of Emergence is glowingly positive. They present a fictional world event that somewhat mirrors our current real life situation. After some very world-shaking incidents, we have to realize that some members of a group do not necessarily represent that entire group. And the fiction portion of it is a fantastically good read. The way they chose to introduce Technomancers is very well done, but my only complaint is that they should have done a little more 'prepping' in the main book for this take on Technomancers. The brief reread of the main book I've done doesn't mention the distrust and downright paranoia that technomancers have hanging over their heads. In defense of the writers, I did smack my forehead and go 'well DUH, of course they're feared!' when Emergence set up their introduction to the SR universe.

Clockwork's behavior just reminded me that even the victims of prejudice can be bigots as well.

I'm not going to rehash my thoughts on the Humanis Policlub's portrayal in Emergence. I understand people have different interpretations of their behavior based on the canon and the information provided, that interpretation's the only thing that matters when it comes to the way you choose to run your games. I still see them as the 'jolly human-first people with the burning desire to kick the drek out of metahumans if they think nobody's looking', but that's only my opinion.

I would like to point out they did mention how magic's been around for 60 years and people are still uneasy in dealing with it. Now take the matrix, something more dear to 2070 life than computers and the net are right now, and then try to imagine a new 'threat' to it so soon after a major crash. Yeah, the backlash is going to be brutal, and I totally kick myself for not seeing that coming.

For my final thought, consider me firmly against the dropping of the 2050 slang like drek, slot, slitch, frag, etc. I thought that was a great addition to the whole 'feel' of the game. They even mentioned that the 'old (aka modern)' cursewords were considered quaint by 2050+ society. It's fine if the books drop it, but you can bet your hoop my players and I will keep using the fictional words. There's a lot to be said for theming.
bibliophile20
Well, after reading Emergence, I've started having some fun with it in a rather direct fashion. Essentially, I had two players (a third is joining us this week), a hacker and a black ops type;
(HatterMadness, no looking beneath that spoiler!)
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]
bibliophile20
*bows* Thank you. And, as my players have found out to their dismay, I am a Very Evil GameMaster™, complete with a high-quality Evil GM Cackle.

[ Spoiler ]

I do have to say, though, that I can't take complete credit for the idea;
[ Spoiler ]
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
-Dr. Halberstam is dead, which is nothing but good news.

Is he? He is starring his death in a perfectly cut and designed 'security' tape and later on, some dead man takes responsibility but states that it was all different and used as propaganda against technomancers - never to be heared of again.

How very convenient.

Oh come on! Page 36!?!?
Rotbart van Dainig
Huh?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Huh?

[ Spoiler ]
Ancient History
<shrug> It's like vampires writing their names backwards or nobles with their trop and yeksihw. Pure ego, the good doctor.
Moon-Hawk
Okay. I can accept the ego explanation. That doesn't make it any better that Smiling Bandit didn't seem to pick up on it. I can't imagine why he'd want to cover for him.
SteamPunkBlues
Nobody has answered my basic questions: should I buy this book, and/or should I introduce these events into my campaign? Personally, I think the technomancer storyline is pretty strange, not that I have read the book. Everyone in my game assumed that technomancers were simply otaku 2.0, but were confused about why they needed to follow such different rules than hackers. The element of the 4e shadowrun timeline I was most interested in was Orxploitation, and to suddenly switch focus to the technomancers? I would love to read an interview with some of the development team and see what they were thinking in this release.
Moon-Hawk
Sorry SteamPunkBlues, I don't have an opinion yet. I will say, I like the term Virtuakinetic WAY more than I like Technomancer.
Ancient History
QUOTE (SteamPunkBlues)
The element of the 4e shadowrun timeline I was most interested in was Orxploitation, and to suddenly switch focus to the technomancers?

I think you're a touch confused. Orxploitation was first introduced in 3rd Edition.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (SteamPunkBlues)
Nobody has answered my basic questions: should I buy this book, and/or should I introduce these events into my campaign? Personally, I think the technomancer storyline is pretty strange, not that I have read the book. Everyone in my game assumed that technomancers were simply otaku 2.0, but were confused about why they needed to follow such different rules than hackers. The element of the 4e shadowrun timeline I was most interested in was Orxploitation, and to suddenly switch focus to the technomancers? I would love to read an interview with some of the development team and see what they were thinking in this release.

Oo, now, with Orxploitation, you're going to my Happy Place. I know beans about computers, but socilology's my thing. (English and History double-major, Soc, Psych, Journalism, and quite a few other minors).

Running with it, I spun into both a Tusker Pride movement (The Sabertusk Society) and spinoffs (Sabertusk Security) ... and topped it off with a super-basic symbol that I could flash at the table or sketch on paper that would get the idea across instantly.

Take the "Woo, metal!" horns, then turn it so the back of your hand is showing, rather than the front.

Taa daa!

Tusks.

Held high, you get "Tusk Pride", held shoulder-height, it's a "Tusk Brother" signal, while flashed quickly, it shows allegiance to "The brotherhood" so that someone knows that you're alright.

Go ahead and try it sometime. Adding this style of 'salute' gesture makes it more real and gives a neat visual clue. Bonus points if anyone includes it in future artwork. smile.gif

But I digress!
Talia Invierno
SotA 2064, wasn't it?
knasser
QUOTE (SteamPunkBlues)

I thought that I had a good stab at that with the initial review. Nobody can give you a yes or no answer to whether or not you should buy it / use it. We can only give you information about it that will let you determine whether or not it will suit your game.

I guess the most salient points to your decision would be that it will make Technomancers the focus of your game for an entire campaign arc, it still requires a great deal of work to turn it into a series of adventures that you can actually run and finally, you will need to think of a way of integrating about two thirds of the book into your game when it's almost nothing but Shadowtalk. For me, RPG's are not movies or novels. If I pass on Shadowtalk posters' comments to my players then I fully expect them to try and be involved in those discussions. I can't imagine many players that wouldn't. And that means you do either of the following:

(A) Keep all the shadowtalk until the end, so that the players can get a big dollop of behind the scenes backstory. Passing the players a 100 page book that they can share around and read as the finale to an adventure is not a good conclusion to me.

(B) Give the players bits of the Shadowtalk as you go along and either allow the players to respond and descend into the quagmire of Shadowrun: Forum Edition, or don't allow them to respond and generate resentment as they find themselves relegated to your captive audience.

Now there are ways to avoid both A and B, but they all basically come down to not using the Shadowtalk and wasting two-thirds of the book.

I'm sure that the writers had plenty of fun putting Emergence together (at least I hope they did), but as a support for running a game, it's very weak.

I hope this is useful. Probably better reading my first post though.

-K.
mfb
read Emergence. i enjoyed the shadowtalk, though i can see knasser's point--i can't imagine what i'd do with it if i were going to run this. the technomancer scare was executed much better than the SURGE scare, but i don't think i'm sold on it, especially with the lack of reasoned arguments and the fact that the shadowtalk spokesman for the anti-TM sentiments was, as has been pointed out, just a strawman. the big revelations towards the end... eh.
TW
QUOTE (knasser)
...it will make Technomancers the focus of your game for an entire campaign arc,
...but as a support for running a game, it's very weak.

I disagree with knasser on this one, though color me biased as I wrote a third of the book.

I don't agree that Technomancers - whether in the form of PC's or NPC's - become the main focus of an entire story arc, or compaign or the in-game year of 2070.
While Emergence clearly focuses on the events spawned by the discovery of Technomancers, the focus lies on the reactions from the powers-that-be, the corps, the gov'ts, the media, the public etc. It won't force the technomancer PC to pull the blanket over his head and stay low until the dust settles, nor does it turn into a snatch & grab Technomancer bounty hunt (unless that's what your GM intends).

There are loads of potential plot hooks in Emergence which a GM can use as best suited for his/her group and ongoing campaign. The news items in the RSS feeds throughout the book especially come to mind, and they might not even have something to do with Technomancers in the first place, but might just cover the reaction of someone to the phenomenon. The afore mentioned 'duck and cover' reaction or bounty hunting can certainly be used by the GM, but they are only two of many many other ideas and aspects.

The adventure seeds and campaign tracks were intended to be left rather free form, to give the GM the option to adjust events, settings, NPC's as needed.

I agree with the review in so far, as the shadowtalk that goes along with the plot has limited use as handouts for the players. Then again, there are a lot of additional news items or ripped/stolen docs that can be used as handouts (the interview in "Revelations' for example - shedding some more light on the technomancer phenomenon). But then again, as mentioned by Synner, the same could be said for Universal Brotherhood and it still was a killer supplement (which reminds me: anyone found the reference in Emergence to the UB supplement yet?)
Buster
I hope they come up with a similar book about magophobia. All it would take is one mage to force someone to kill his family or blow up a building and it'll be Salem 2.0.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (SteamPunkBlues)
should I buy this book,

It's the first book with the CGL logo on it, so... sure.

QUOTE (SteamPunkBlues)
and/or should I introduce these events into my campaign?

It's yet again a 'There you have it' kind of campaign book, with players riding the waves. There is no really getting around it if you stick to canon history.

And it's main problem is that the books that came before, namely System Failure and Runner Havens steal parts of it's main story - to a point where ShadowTalk starts making you think: "..wait a second - didn't those guys already chat about that - and had more clues?"
It tries to retroactively reduce the amount of intel in the shadows. Of course, if you already played with TMs having had their coming out, or contacts turning into ghost in the machine after the second crash (like suggested in SF)... that part of perspective is lost on you.
Zen Shooter01
Having read Emergence now, I've got a few things to say.

I see Knasser's point about the shadowtalk - but he's not seeing the point. It's not intended as a handout for the players. It's intended for the GM to provide tone, theme, and inspiration. It's meant to demonstrate the different views clashing in the 6th World but in a dramatic way, not a boring one.

The problem is, it is a boring one. It's a badly executed format.

I am a gamemaster. I need information arrayed in a compact and easy to reference way. I don't need information buried and camouflaged throughout a fiction section so that fact-finding turns into some kind of easter egg hunt. I need the books to be more like textbooks and less like novels. I'm going to read the book once - I'm going to reference it for years.

And Emergence shows the scars on 4th ed. more clearly than anything so far, except the Caracas section of Runner Havens. The BBB came out almost two years ago, and it was 2070 then. Now this book comes out and says that it's 2070 all over again, but a very different 2070. It makes technomancers and AIs THE major metaplot element for the next year, but doesn't give any rules for them - just assurances that the rules are coming in Unwired, a year from now. Would a negative quality for AIPS have killed 'em?

I also think that the Sojourner crisis was underplayed. It should have resulted in a lot more chaos, a much greater catastrophe. How would you react if you learned that a powerful member of a previously unknown species had seized an orbiting weapons platform and was threatening to rain bioweapons onto the earth? Not to mention the corporations and governments who would assume that the incident was some kind of hoax staged by their enemies for unknown ends, and react according to that conclusion.
mfb
you might wanna use some spoiler tags.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012