Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Types of music in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Lazarus)
Right. And smart people during the Enlightenment thought if you rammed enough electricity into a corpse it would come back to life.

Are you really trying to say that our standards for evidence are the same as they were then? Does the phrase "scientific method" mean something to you? Behavioural neuroscience and neuropsychiatry?

An open mind means you shift your currently-accepted viewpoint in accordance with newly-discovered evidence, not that you withhold judgement in the face of a body of evidence. Besides, do you even have criteria for judging when another entity has existential angst?

~J
Talia Invierno
Well, that's the theory, anyway.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Lazarus @ Jun 28 2007, 12:59 AM)
Right.  And smart people during the Enlightenment thought if you rammed enough electricity into a corpse it would come back to life.

Are you really trying to say that our standards for evidence are the same as they were then? Does the phrase "scientific method" mean something to you? Behavioural neuroscience and neuropsychiatry?

An open mind means you shift your currently-accepted viewpoint in accordance with newly-discovered evidence, not that you withhold judgement in the face of a body of evidence. Besides, do you even have criteria for judging when another entity has existential angst?

~J

I don't see how we can detract from the awesomeness of pumping so much electricity into a corpse that it breaks out into a 1950s style song and dance routine.
Lazarus
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Does the phrase "scientific method" mean something to you?

<Note: The following is merely an attempt, however poorly written, to clarify my pervious statement. It is not meant to be a personal attack in anyway. To wit: I got nothin' but luv 4 ya Kage!>

You know the scientific method came about during the Enlightenment right?

I'm not saying that I ignore the evidence. I'm not even saying that it isn’t possible. I'm also not saying that it isn't probable. What am I saying is that the past or even the present is not an absolute indicator for the future.

I don't think that history is this causal progression moving ever forward to some greater accomplishment and higher understanding. There may be little chains scattered about but they aren't all connected. Humanity can go backwards. <Note: Hell look at the G. W. Bush era in the US.>

I could go on and on citing historical examples of how reasonable people thought the future would be based on the evidence of their epoch and show you that they were all wrong. So you'll have to forgive me if I suspend judgment on the future until it actually gets here.

And yes I think being open-minded is a good thing; however I also think you need to be cautious and skeptical in making judgments especially if we're talking about absolutes and universals.

As far as having a criteria for judging angst well there are other philosophers who have better arguments then I do and I would just be deferring to them anyway. As far as what makes a human human... I'm still looking for that answer. If there is one. Hell maybe that's the answer right there! Nah, that would be too easy.
Lazarus
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I don't see how we can detract from the awesomeness of pumping so much electricity into a corpse that it breaks out into a 1950s style song and dance routine.

By god if I wasn't so stuck in 1999 I would sig this line just for its sheer awesomeness.
Trigger
QUOTE (Lazarus)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jun 28 2007, 11:37 PM)

By god if I wasn't so stuck in 1999 I would sig this line just for its sheer awesomeness.

Well, if you aren't going to, I will.
Maimer
Interesting that this should come up.

I was talking to one of the guys in the group about music in the background, or part of the game. And He said that it was always something he like to do anyway.

My vision, and that was a couple weeks ago, was Rammstein. I have most of the CD's and the one DVD they put out. In game, the meet was to take place in a bar that had floor space for local bands. We fired up Rammstein, didn't have the vid on, and I introduced the runners to a Troll band from Germany. It worked out pretty good, and the live feel of the vid was pretty cool to boot.

I always thought that since Shadowrun was a darker future than our own, that the music would have a more "industrial" sound to it. Hence my use of Rammstein.
Angelone
My love for synthpop knows no bounds. While as the above poster said industrial would be popular I see it as more of an underground thing while synthpop would rule the airwaves.

PS- On a semi related note. Someone posted a while back a music video where the band broke into some kind of corporate facility. IIRC they overpowered a guard, and were running around the place, it also turned out they were using squirtguns. Anyone have a link or the name of the band or song?
Synner667
QUOTE (Solomon Greene)
What purpose would a machine have in crafting music? Why would an AI wish to create music at all?

And we can guess what form it would take - mathematically precise, deep in theory, dead in soul.

Interesting comment..
..But only if you parallel that with why do people make music ??

By definition, an AI is sentient..
..So it's music would depend on it's sources [and I think, it's programmed 'personality']

If it's a Military AI, maybe it'd like Marching Bands or Rock/Metal.
If it's a socially interacting AI, maybe it'd like soothing jazz or classical sounds.

If it can make music at all [not just throw random sounds together], it'd probably be able to copy or create anything you can imagine.

In one of the Gibson books, a partly functional AI creates pieces of art that are considered beautiful and are highly sought after - but the machine has no understanding of what it's doing.

The artistic element is what we attribute to it.

And considering the scope and breadth of what people consider music, I'm sure a machine could come up with something we'd appreciate.

Just my thruppence..
Synner667
Personally, I'd imagine that any of the music available today will be available in the future..
..After all, we're only talking about 100 years.

Why would there be much difference from today ??
We already have 3-4 music giants trying to dictate all the music we listen to, with a whole host of smaller bands/musicians making music.

Why would that be expected to change ??

As for what's available ??
I've had rockabilly, country'n'western, 80's pop, old rock, opera, rap, classical, jazz, monotonous electronica, thrash, small scale indie, accapella all mentioned in the Cyberpunk material I partake of [books, films, manga].

Just as now, we get resurgences of interest in certain genre's, so there's nothing to say there couldn't be a Kylie Minogue revival in the mainstream music scene in 2070 - with music, bodysculpted performers, simsense recordings, fashion, clubs, books, etc.

Tho, considering how the American Indians got their history wrong after 2010 [as per SR1-2], there's nothing to say people wouldn't get their musical heritage wrong - attributing people to the wrong genre of music, re-interpreting music styles, etc.

After all, who'd know for certain ??

Just my thruppence..
Trigger
QUOTE (Angelone)
My love for synthpop knows no bounds. While as the above poster said industrial would be popular I see it as more of an underground thing while synthpop would rule the airwaves.

Freezepop FTW!!

If you don't know Freezepop, you should. They are amazing happy synthpop with hilarious sexual connotations and random songs galore.
knasser
QUOTE (Euphonium)
Watching RL music in my neck of the woods (and for that matter, pop culture in general), whatever happened in the last decade is very unfashionable, but the stuff from a decade before that is cool again.

Not all the stuff from over a decade ago. Just the good stuff which was neglected afterwards because it was... well, afterwards. A good song is a good song, but once it's been popular, it needs a break where everyone can stop listening to it. I'd say fourteen - fifteen years is about right for re-releases, etc., because that's how long it takes for a group of people to grow up that it will be new to. Remember that when you're talking about popularity in record label terms, you're talking about sales. That is most definitely not the same thing as what people are listening to. The thing is, that once I have a large collection of dance music, I don't need to go out and buy it again and again. So other genres start going up the sales chart, which people are thinking is "popularity." Obviously the two are tied, but there's a huge number of people out there still listening to eighties music (poor things) or even listening to it in clubs. Sales is not the same as popular.

All that said, I think there's an underlying blindspot in most of the posts here, which is that it's focused on the music of Western Europe and the USA. If you go to Russia, Eastern Europe or lots of the Middle East, you'll often find a real vogue for US or British music. It's part of the image of the rich, hollywood star filled land that people dream of. By 2070, the USA is a fragmented, humiliated mess. First edition Shadowun had Japan as the culturally dominant power in North America, so it makes sense to me that a lot of the youth would be listening to Japanese import music of whatever genre it was exporting. Meanwhile the older UCAS citizens would be bemoaning the abandonment of their own culture by their youth, just as was happening in much of the muslim world (though a couple of US invasions and financing of a certain country's military have made the export of US culture less popular than they would have been).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012