Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberpunk in the Media
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kerris
There have been several discussions I've been involved in that have mentioned cyberpunk movies, games, books - whatever. However, I can't seem to find anywhere that they're compiled into one thread. So here we go. Let me know what I've missed, and I'll update the first post as necessary.

There are two lists. One for "influential" media that isn't strictly cyberpunk, and one for cyberpunk. Use your judgment on which to list as.

Cyberpunk Media
    Movies
    • The Animatrix
    • Blade Runner
    • Dark City
    • Freejack
    • Hackers
    • Hardware
    • I, Robot
    • Johnny Mnemonic
    • Judge Dredd
    • Live Free, Die Hard
    • The Matrix (and sequels)
    • Minority Report
    • Nemesis
    • Robocop
    • The Saint
    • A Scanner Darkly
    • Sneakers
    • Strange Days
    • Total Recall
    • Wild Palms
    TV
    • Aeon Flux
    • Dark Angel
    • Max Headroom
    Books
    • Anything by William Gibson
    • Any George Alec Effinger
    • Holy Fire by Bruce Sterling
    • Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
    • Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
    • Harry Harrison (Author)
    • Chung Kuo by David Wingrove
    • Rudy Rucker
    • Richard Morgan
    • Tek War by William Shatner
    • Greg Mandel books by Peter F. Hamilton
    • Streetlethal by Stephen Barnes
    • Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams
    • "Parrish Plessis" series by Marianne De Pierres
    • Keeping it Real by Justina Robson
    • Anything by Pat Cardigan
    • Dr. Adder and Noir by K. W. Jeter
    • Anything by Jean-Marc Ligner
    • The Stars, My Destination by Alfred Bester
    • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
    • The Cyborg Handbook
    Comics
    • Jason Alexander's "Empty Zone"
    • Judge Dredd
    • 100 Bullets
    Anime
    • Akira
    • Appleseed
    • Bubblegum Crisis
    • Cowboy Bebop
    • Ergo Proxy
    • Ghost in the Shell (and sequels: Specifically mentioned: Innocence)
    • Serial Experiments Lain
    • Technolyze
    • Wonderful Days
    Manga
    • Battle Angel Alita
    Video Games
    • Bladerunner
    • Bloodnet
    • Bureau 13
    • Circuit's Edge
    • Deus Ex
    • Dreamweb
    • Johnny Mnemonic
    • Perfect Dark
    • Project Snowblind (PS2)
    • Rise of the Dragon
    • Restricted Area
    • Shadowrun (SNES)
    • Shadowrun (Genesis)
    • Shadowrun (MegaCD - Japanese only)
Influential Media
    Movies
    • Aeon Flux
    • Batman Begins
    • Bulletproof Monk
    • Children of Men
    • Confidence
    • Constantine
    • Crank
    • Escape from New York
    • The Fifth Element
    • Golden Child
    • Hard Boiled
    • Heat
    • Heist
    • Hellboy
    • Any James Bond
    • Lucky #Slevin
    • The Maltese Falcon
    • Matchstick Men
    • Mission Impossible
    • The Ninth Gate
    • Pulp Fiction
    • Reservoir Dogs
    • Rocketeer
    • Ronin
    • The Shadow
    • Shaft
    • Sin City
    • Snatch
    • Soylent Green
    • The Spanish Prisoner
    • Spartan
    • Suicide Kings
    • Transporter
    • Tucker
    • The Warriors
    • The Way of the Gun
    TV
    • Burn Notice
    • Due South
    • The Dresden Files
    • Monk
    • Psych
    • The X-Files
    Books
    • 1984 by George Orwell
    • The Barimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
    • Anything by Raymond Chandler
    • Anything by James Ellroy
    • Anything by John Brunner
    Video Games
    • The Godfather
    • Prey
Wakshaani
Anime

Bubblegum Crisis
Appleseed

Movies

Maltese Falcon
Rocketeer
Tucker
Robocop
Hackers

TV shows

Dark Angel
Max Headroom
Batman Beyond
Adarael
If you're serious about the philosophy of cyborgs, the debate on what it means to be human versus other, and the role of self-modification as a means of self-identification, there is no finer piece of media than Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. I mean that quite seriously.

While Ghost in the Shell and the SAC series are fine representations of a cyberpunk or posthuman world, Innocence is all about the philosophy of it. When making the film, he dispensed with the illusion that the plot as it appears is anything more than a vehicle for the questions he wanted to ask. I know a lot of people didn't like the film because it's 'disjointed' or 'hard to follow' - it's true, if you watch it was an ordinary film expecting resolution to a plot-based problem, that's not gonna be what you get.

But seriously, if you want to ponder those questions, I challenge anyone to find a piece of media of any kind that is better for that purpose than Innocence.
Kerris
Hmmm... it occurs to me that it may be good to implement a nomination/seconding system. So, somebody nominates a piece of media, and it's not added to the list until it's seconded.

Anyway, Wakshaani, I find it interesting that you've included the Maltese Falcon and The Rocketeer as cyberpunk films. Can you provide some explanation?
TheMadDutchman
While I wouldn't necessary consider it to be Cyberpunk, I do consider films such as The Maltese Falcon to be serious currency into the foundations of the Cyberpunk genre. Sort of a pre-cyberpunk.

The whole Film Noir movement is what laid the foundation for the dark gritty feel that most of us automatically associate w/ cyberpunk.

Whenever I start planninga campaign I start watching movies and re-reading books and comics that relate to the genre of game I'm preparing. Currently I'm planning a massive ShadowRun campaign that I'm going to set in San Juan, Puerto Rico (I don't actually have any real in game data on the city so I'm just making it up for now, though I heard it and the Carribean league was covered in cyber pirates so I'm trying to get my hands on a copy.

Some of my favorate movies that I've used to help prepare for this game have been:
Ronin, Shaft (the original), The Rundown, Die Another Day, Golden Eye, Formula 51, Crank, Transporter, Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, Casablanca, and many more. Enough that I'm not even going to list any more.

None of these are really Cyberpunk; but, to me, they really help me examine a lot of the themes that are pretty omnipresent in Shadowrun. Most of these movies (really w/ the exception of the Bond ones) are about criminals and w/ the exception of The Transporter and Crank which are a little too comical to be gritty, most of them have that kind of gritty abrassive feel that so many of us like in Shadowrun.

I like the bond films mostly for the cars; if I ever get around to playing a rigger it'll be that characters life goal to get one of those cool MI-6 bond cars.

It's been long enough since I've seen the Maltese Falcon that I've actually been hunting around trying to get my hands on a copy but so far: no luck.
Adarael
Dutchman's on the money. I think it was Bruce Sterling who said it, but I could be wrong:
"Cyberpunk is what pulp crime dramas have become."
JonathanC
Books:
A Fire in the Sun and When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger
(obviously) Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Movies:
Strange Days
Total Recall
A Scanner Darkly

Videogames:
Restricted Area (obscure German Diablo knockoff; they basically cribbed Shadowrun as much as they could without being sued)
Kerris
I completely agree that Film Noir has had an impact on cyberpunk. I'm hesitant to include it in the cyberpunk media list, though.

I think, instead, I'll start an "influential media" list underneath it.

Seconding:
Ronin (influential)
The Maltese Falcon (influential)
Reservoir Dogs (influential)
Any Bond (influential)

EDIT:
Scratching the "Seconding" idea. I'll just put them all in.
JonathanC
If you haven't read any of Effinger's novels, I highly recommend them. Snow Crash is already legend, of course. Also, I recently started reading Holy Fire by Bruce Sterling. I haven't finished it yet, but it definitely fits into the genre.
raphabonelli
Talking about movies that help getting the mood and the enviroment of the Cyberpunk theme, i would recommend The Crow, and "Detective Story" that is one of the shorts of The Animatrix.

If you like to play SR games involving Mafia, The Godfather is a good call.
eidolon
Hmm, I may have to pick up a copy of Restricted Area.

edit. Sweet. Just ordered a copy from Amazon for like 8 bucks.
nezumi
Everything I've read by Bruce Sterling is appropriate in one fashion or another. Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash is also considered a great CP book.

Some people might argue otherwise, but I'd argue that Hellblazer is a good source (not cyberpunk obviously, but very punk).
TheMadDutchman
I'm also a huge fan of Hong Kong action cinema.

The first time I saw Hard Boiled something really clicked in my brain and none of my WoD or Shadowrun games have ever been the same since.

Starting w/ that super-awesome gunfight inthe restaurant (where the guns were in the bottom of the birdcages) and moving through the murder in the library and the huge gunfight in the hospital. It really had an effect on me.
2bit
hot hot kylie minogue making a fantastic entrance - lots of neon and chrome, great cyberpunk look:

youtube link

it's pretty sorayama-like now that I think of it. . . cyber.gif
Wakshaani
QUOTE (2bit)
hot hot kylie minogue making a fantastic entrance - lots of neon and chrome, great cyberpunk look:

youtube link

it's pretty sorayama-like now that I think of it. . . cyber.gif

Well, if you want music videos...

Toxic
MYST1C
I can't believe DEUS EX is missing from the games list!
IMHO one of the best computer games ever made... (I won't say the best because that depends on what genres you like.)
Strobe
And I can't beleive Sneakers isn't on the movies list!

But there you go.

-Strobe
Heimdalol
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
QUOTE (2bit @ Jun 27 2007, 10:12 PM)

youtube link

it's pretty sorayama-like now that I think of it. . .  cyber.gif

Toxic

puhhhlease

try this
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Heimdalol)
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
QUOTE (2bit @ Jun 27 2007, 10:12 PM)

youtube link

it's pretty sorayama-like now that I think of it. . .  cyber.gif

Toxic

puhhhlease

try this

I see you and raise you, Shiawase-style.

Fruity Oaty Bars
raphabonelli
QUOTE (MYST1C)
I can't believe DEUS EX is missing from the games list!

That'a true... i would put on the game list, too, OPERATION SNOWBLIND that's a kind of DeusEX for PS2... and PREY, a X-BOX/PC game that talks about spirits, shamanism and so on.
Pendaric
Diamond age by Neal Stephenson
Kerris
The list has been updated.

I'm kind of embarrassed that I missed Sneakers. I mean, I own that one.
raphabonelli
MINORITY REPORT would be a good one too, they even have a StreetDocs, and Drones, and something that may look like AR on this one.

Other cool movies:

1984 (The book, from George Orwell, too)
Escape From New York
Aeon Flux
Akira (Katsuhiro Otomo)

And i guess that some people can take some visual ideas from the french movie: City of the Lost Children.
2bit
ooo! Lawnmower Man!! lol
Kerris
I'm not sure whether that was a joke. Should I add it to the list? I've never seen it.

Also, should I add the Micro$oft's Shadowrun FPS? I kinda feel dirty for even suggesting it.
2bit
youtube it. it's about as cyberpunk as, maybe Tron.
Nocturne
Anime:
Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze

Film:
Hardware (cheesy, but nice dystopian atmosphere)
Kerris
Thanks! Updated!
raphabonelli
My mistake, i´ve said about a game called Operation Snowblind... the game's name is "Project: Snowblind". Sorry for the mistake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Snowblind
Kerris
Thanks for the correction; It's been added to the list.
Buster
Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series of books is very cyberpunk. It's set in the "far future" but by today's forecasts it would easily fit in 2070.

The Max Headroom television series is extremely cyberpunk, a must see.

The Aeon Flux tv show (anime) is far superior to the movie. Some people don't know there was a tv show, so you might want to list it. The tv show was a lot more hard boiled and visceral than the Charlize Theron vehicle.

I would add The Saint to the cyberpunk list. It's certainly lighter than some on the list since it deals with a very successful criminal instead of a street punk, but it is set in the near future and is about criminals. I would (hesitantly) add I, Robot and Batman Begins to the list of cyberpunk movies or influential movies...maybe as a "Runners Up" list. Both good movies, but not exactly cyberpunk.

I would add The Ninth Gate, Constantine, Hellboy, and The Shadow as influential movies and The Dresden Files as an influential tv show for Shadowrun. I might add Firestarter to the list, but it's been so long since I saw the movie, I can't remember if I would recommend it.

If you're scraping the barrel and are really hurting from the summer duldrums, you might want to check out The Covenant movie and Wild Palms tv series. The Wild Palms tv series is fairly cyberpunk, emphasizing simsense's effect on society. I wouldn't say either show is well executed, and would put them in the "Runners Up" pile, but it might be worth seeing during the summer duldrums and you've seen everything else on the list.
Synner667
Wow !!

What a great collection of movies and books !!

I find it interesting that several films aren't what most people would consider cyberpunk.

I'd add :-
The Mission Impossible movies [for their shadow run]
Golden Child [for a lighthearted mystical plotline]
Bulletproof Monk [for Adepts]
Fifth Element [for it's wonderfully realised, gritty future]

Books by Richard Morgan [digitally recorded minds sent all over the universe for shadow ops]
Books by Rudy Rucker [for ideas and future society]
Chung Cuo [for a Chinese technological future]
William Shatmer's TekWar [private eyes in the future]
Peter F Hamilton's Greg Mandel Books [a Cyberpunk Britain]
Stephen Barne's Streetlethal
Walter Jon William's Hard Wired [a rigger in the US, in a collapsed USA]

Phew !!

Just my thruppence..
Kerris
Thanks for the suggestions! They've been added!

Please excuse any mis-spellings, I'm a little tipsy wink.gif
Strobe
Cyber City Oedo is another one I just thought of. Probably one of the most SR list animes I have seen. It has a guy rigging a building, psychic military cyber zombie and a vampire as the goons the team run against.

-Strobe
Black Jack Rackham
Influential Movies
Children of Men
Heat
Payback
Suicide Kings
Many of the David Mamet movies (Heist, The Spanish Prisoner, Spartan)

Catharz Godfoot
It's "Chung Kuo" not 'Chung Cuo' (the pinyin is Zhong Guo, 'Middle Kingdom' or 'China').
Buster
I'm pretty sure it's spelled "Chung King", I'm looking at the menu right here.
apollo124
QUOTE (Kerris)
Also, should I add the Micro$oft's Shadowrun FPS? I kinda feel dirty for even suggesting it.

Them's fightin' words pardner!

The Microsoft SR FPS is NOT Shadowrun IMO.
Cadmus
Bladerunner smile.gif not sure if that was mentioned since i havn't peeked into the thread in a bit heheh.

< edit> ok I just looked it was mentioned... but we shall mention it AGIAN MWAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

becouse I like it grinbig.gif
Kerris
QUOTE (apollo124)
QUOTE (Kerris @ Jun 28 2007, 09:43 AM)
Also, should I add the Micro$oft's Shadowrun FPS?  I kinda feel dirty for even suggesting it.

Them's fightin' words pardner!

The Microsoft SR FPS is NOT Shadowrun IMO.

Pistols at dawn? cyber.gif

Anyway, I realized I didn't have Sin City on the influential list. I mean, WTF. What was I thinking?
marghos
anime: Wonderful Days http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353014/
Solomon Greene
Anime:

Cowboy Bebop, both the series and the full length movie. You don't get much more shadowrunny than this series - it's a little more in the future, there's space travel involved - but space travel while you bitch about how tired you are of eating ramen and being broke while waiting for a big job to break free. That's gritty.
Kerris
QUOTE (Solomon Greene)
Anime:

Cowboy Bebop, both the series and the full length movie. You don't get much more shadowrunny than this series - it's a little more in the future, there's space travel involved - but space travel while you bitch about how tired you are of eating ramen and being broke while waiting for a big job to break free. That's gritty.

*is embarrassed yet again*

Another one I can't believe I missed. Bebop rocks.
Solomon Greene
For video games, Perfect Dark probably counts.

Dark Angel counts as far as Tv goes - I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying it counts. Wikipedia credits it as cyberpunk, we might as well too.
Catharz Godfoot
QUOTE (Buster)
Buster
QUOTE (Catharz Godfoot)
QUOTE (Buster @ Jul 1 2007, 11:07 PM)

I was joking! I'll add more smiley faces next time.... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Ikirouta
Comics:

Jason Alexander's "Empty Zone"
Thematically "100 Bullets"

Books:

Marianne De Pierres' "Parrish Plessis" books (three ATM) cyberpunk + magic
Justina Robson's "Keeping It Real" and it's sequel elves, magic, cybernetics
Jonathan Stroud's "The Barimaeus Trilogy", England ruled by mages (so mages and spirits/demons)

Thematically Andy McNab's "Nick Stone" books for getting feel how to do runs
TheMadDutchman
Check out Burn Notice. It's a new detective show on usa. It's about a freelance spy who gets cut off from the espionage game and has to find a way to make money while trying to find out what caused him to get burned.

I liked it. It's not exceptionally gritty but it was really nice for all the spy stuff in it.
Ikirouta
The Way of the Gun - Nice shooting sequences and criminals.
marghos
Movie: The Warriors (influen.) by Walter Hill 1979.
Plot: A gang called The Warriors are framed for killing a gang leader trying to unite all the gangs in the area. With other gangs gunning for them they must get back to the home turf of Coney Island... Alive http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012