Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bound Spirits - what good are they?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Buster
I'm thinking about leaving out my Binding skill in my next mage character because I'm not seeing a great benefit to bound spirits. Here's my reasoning:

Say the mage has maxed out his Spellcasting, so his Summoning and Binding skills are maxed at only 4 points each.

If a mage has Magic 5, Binding 4, a Power Focus 2, and a Binding Focus 3, that's 14 dice total so he gets an average of 4 hits or can buy 3 hits. A force 5 spirit rolls 10 dice for 3 average hits or can buy 2 hits. Therefore, the mage is only netting 1 or 2 hits. Since the binding materials cost 2500 nuyen per binding, each service is costing the mage a month's living expenses! He could buy a brand new drone for the cost of each binding. And that isn't even counting the 30,000 nuyen and 3 BP he spent on the binding focus and the 50,000 nuyen and 2 BP spent on the power focus. Even if he maxes out his Edge and uses that in the binding roll, he'd only have 2 more services per binding.

Since each service is costing as much as a couple of missiles, you'd expect the spirit to be a devil in combat, right? A force 5 fire spirit has a (7 + 5 dice) vs (defender's dice) chance of hitting and can do 5 hits of fire damage which is resisted by 1/2 impact armor + fire protection. Nice, but not exactly an overwhelming force.

If combat isn't your thing, it can do a Search or Guard you against fire instead. Meh. There are all kinds of spells, devices, and unbound spirits that can do that for free.

I suppose you could use your service for a +5 bonus to one spellcasting roll, but since he just spent a fortune on a binding focus, it would make more sense to get a Spellcasting Focus instead.

If he maxed out his Charisma to say 5, he could keep 5 spirits bound at a time. He could spend one service each per turn over 5 turns and sick 'em all on a target all at once. That would be impressive, but awful expensive at 10,000 nuyen per combat. If the mage had invested heavily in Charisma (along with his heavy investment in Binding skill, Magic, Edge, foci, and binding materials), unleashing a horde of bound spirits is a nice ace in the hole.

Without a high Magic AND a high Edge AND a high Charisma AND a high Binding skill AND a large bank account, it seems like the only use for Binding is to conjure an ally spirit with the Ally Conjuration metamagic power.

I think I must be missing something here. Am I using the wrong spirit or the spirit incorrectly for combat? Is a lower force spirit still effective in combat? Are there better uses for a bound spirit? Is there a way to get more than 4 or 5 services from a bound spirit which lowers the cost per service to a more reasonable level?
Talia Invierno
Er -- isn't Binding the only way to get the traditional Elemental powers? (p.178) Unbound spirits can't do things such as Aid Sorcery or Aid Study.

In any case, you can only have one unbound spirit at a time, but a number of bound spirits equal to CH.
Buster
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 3 2007, 09:58 PM)
Er -- isn't Binding the only way to get the traditional Elemental powers? (p.178)  Unbound spirits can't do things such as Aid Sorcery or Aid Study.

In any case, you can only have one unbound spirit at a time, but a number of bound spirits equal to CH.

Yeah, I said all that in my post. If you get a chance to read my post, let me know if you can think of anything to add. biggrin.gif
Talia Invierno
Yes, you did say the second part. However, you mentioned nothing about learning spells.

Edit: Yes, spirits are a bitch in combat, and the more there are, the worse it gets. (The watcher swarm has a long and infamous history at Dumpshock.) All other things being equal, properly played drones are much, much, much easier to neutralise than properly played spirits. Word your commands broadly (but carefully, canon text tells us that spirits don't like being bound).

Tactically, try to use their powers rather than their simple fighting ability. Always keep in mind that spirits can get into places drones can't. Most effective, think of them as team support to make everyone else's attacks far more efficient, rather than just another fighter for your side.

But I don't do the classic Dumpshock number crunch. Rather, I make the environment work to bend the numbers in my favour. Spirits lend themselves to those kinds of tactics.
Jaid
i suppose it all depends on how available resources are to you. spirits are in general much more useful than drones. if nothing else, binding spirits allows you to assign the spirit to protect teammates etc.

your force 5 spirit may not be much better than a combat drone, but you can sneak it in past security, you don't have to spend money repairing it, you don't have to supply ammo, and it's basically undetectable until you use it. furthermore, most spirits have nifty abilities, such as concealment, search, guard, magical guard, etc (note: spirits are no longer limited in domain. a fire spirit doesn't guard you from fire, it just flat out guards you).

additionally, bound spirits can provide such things as sustaining spells for you (a sustaining focus at chargen goes up to 3 and that's it... not gonna cut it for some spells), can perform remote services without using up all their remaining services (so that you can use the search power and still be able to call on an unbound spirit), can boost certain rolls, and so forth.

so yeah, it's expensive, and it's not something you should use all the time. but it can make all the difference when you need it. when bad stuff starts happening, you will be grateful you have a couple of force 4 spirits in reserve.

(also, binding is the skill used for binding free spirits and such... depending on how things go in your game, that can be useful).

and, just for the record, you do keep the services from when you conjured the spirit, you know =P

which means that for binding, you're looking at services equal to a normal conjuring + a binding ritual each time, provided you always bind a new spirit rather than re-binding.
Buster
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Yes, you did say the second part. However, you mentioned nothing about learning spells.

True they can help with learning spells and that's kind of a neat flavor piece, but isn't it the same service as an instructor or tutorsoft for the same price?
Talia Invierno
To cover everything that bound spirits can do, you'd need:
  • several power foci
  • several sustaining foci
  • quickening (+ karma spent to quicken)
  • instructor or skillsoft
... all of the spirit's Force level.

And that's not counting their regular abilities (multiplied, because bound; rather than only the one unbound).

You can even loan out a bound spirit to a team member -- seems odd initially, but it only costs a Simple Action to give commands. Loaning out one or more spirits pre-combat allows several spirits to be commanded simultaneously to different actions maybe even changed on the fly, using only a single Simple Action (of several people). (Trust me, makes for one hell of an ambush or counter-ambush.) Alternately, maybe the infiltrator who is on-site could urgently use the services of a spirit, but the mage is nowhere nearby. A loaned spirit covers it.

Spirits are versatile, allowing you to use their abilities for what you need at the time -- without having to have all those technological contingencies upon you at all times.
Buster
QUOTE (Jaid)
i suppose it all depends on how available resources are to you. spirits are in general much more useful than drones. if nothing else, binding spirits allows you to assign the spirit to protect teammates etc.

your force 5 spirit may not be much better than a combat drone, but you can sneak it in past security, you don't have to spend money repairing it, you don't have to supply ammo, and it's basically undetectable until you use it. furthermore, most spirits have nifty abilities, such as concealment, search, guard, magical guard, etc (note: spirits are no longer limited in domain. a fire spirit doesn't guard you from fire, it just flat out guards you).

additionally, bound spirits can provide such things as sustaining spells for you (a sustaining focus at chargen goes up to 3 and that's it... not gonna cut it for some spells), can perform remote services without using up all their remaining services (so that you can use the search power and still be able to call on an unbound spirit), can boost certain rolls, and so forth.

so yeah, it's expensive, and it's not something you should use all the time. but it can make all the difference when you need it. when bad stuff starts happening, you will be grateful you have a couple of force 4 spirits in reserve.

(also, binding is the skill used for binding free spirits and such... depending on how things go in your game, that can be useful).

and, just for the record, you do keep the services from when you conjured the spirit, you know =P

which means that for binding, you're looking at services equal to a normal conjuring + a binding ritual each time, provided you always bind a new spirit rather than re-binding.

Ah, I didn't notice that with the new Guard rule.

I'm not so sure a bound spirit is easy to sneak into a secure facility. They'd have to break past the barriers/wards too unless you brought them down on the way in. In that case, no one is sneaking in because the alarms are raised and its a full blown invasion at that point.

Do you get to keep your Summoning services past sunrise/sunset even if you bind the spirit?

Good point about the free spirit. I'll need one with the Wealth power just to pay for my spirit binding materials! biggrin.gif

I forgot about the Spell Sustaining, that could be just the edge needed in some situations until the mage can buy enough Sustaining Foci.

I like your idea of having only 2 charisma to just keep a couple of thugs in reserve for a rainy day.

It seems that bound spirits make nice swiss army knifes, but they aren't overwhelming in any one task. What are the binding-related stats for your mage and would you do anything differently?
Dancer
Bound Spirits have a few useful things:

1) 'Aid X' services. These are extra dice you can't get any other way.
2) An 'Oh drek!' button. Bind a few high-Force spirits and just have them waiting in the wings. When the situation really drops in the toilet you suddenly have a bunch of extra power available, and you don't really care about the expense at that point.
3) Spell Binding. Use Force 1 spirits (cheap and easy to bind) to sustain your buff spells for 1 day, long enough for a high-danger intrusion. Does make the spirit community hate you though.

For point (2) use Spirits of Man rather than Fire Spirits. A Force 5 Spirit can chuck a Force 10 Manabolt if it needs to, and also has nifty powers like Concealment, Influence and Confusion. Since you're Binding in downtime and hence have time to recover you can even go for a Force 7 or 8.
Buster
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
You can even loan out a bound spirit to a team member -- seems odd initially, but it only costs a Simple Action to give commands. Loaning out one or more spirits pre-combat allows several spirits to be commanded simultaneously to different actions maybe even changed on the fly, using only a single Simple Action (of several people). (Trust me, makes for one hell of an ambush or counter-ambush.) Alternately, maybe the infiltrator who is on-site could urgently use the services of a spirit, but the mage is nowhere nearby. A loaned spirit covers it.

That's a cool idea, I hadn't thought of effectively increasing my command rate by loaning out my spirits to my teammates.
Buster
QUOTE (Dancer @ Jul 3 2007, 10:44 PM)
3) Spell Binding. Use Force 1 spirits (cheap and easy to bind) to sustain your buff spells for 1 day, long enough for a high-danger intrusion. Does make the spirit community hate you though.

Neat trick, I assumed that the spirit could only sustain/bind a spell with a force equal to its force. Maybe I'll just start the game with Spirit Bane and only pick on that spirit type. Lousy Water Spirits, they think they're so great...

QUOTE (Dancer @ Jul 3 2007, 10:44 PM)

For point (2) use Spirits of Man rather than Fire Spirits. A Force 5 Spirit can chuck a Force 10 Manabolt if it needs to, and also has nifty powers like Concealment, Influence and Confusion. Since you're Binding in downtime and hence have time to recover you can even go for a Force 7 or 8.

Oh wow, that's definitely a neat trick! Do spirits take drain when they cast spells? In SR2, they didn't but I can't see anything one way or the other in SR4.
Particle_Beam
Yes, going through high-force bound spirits to throw and use them in combat regularely is really an ineffective use of ressources, and I'm glad that it is so.

Bound spirits are meant as your hidden ace in the sleave, or as distraction to be thrown at your enemies so that you can flee while most of you and your team is either incapacitated, wounded, or simply dead, and you need to flee without needing to summon such a being afterwards and taking drain, when you have better things to do than to summon a spirit powerful enough on the fly.

The bound spirit might be that one thing that keeps sustaining that spell that you don't have the time nor the nerve to sustain yourself (like keeping up the physical barrier, while you stabilize and heal your dying chummer).

It can even be bound with an important spell, which will in the end kill your spirit, and which he'll heavily object, but do anyway, because it's bound to you.

They can also act as spotter for ritual spellcasting.

You don't always need force 5+ spirits for every run, and you don't even need several of them. If you were forced to do so in the first place, that means that the run is more than dangerous, quite clearly even absolutely lethal, and therefore means that your Johnson would pay you a sum that would enable your team to retire for 1 year without having to work, surely.

Unless your gaming session always had some competition that runs with stats of 5+ in abilities and skills, a normal force 3 or 4 spirit is more than enough for battling grunts, if used accordingly. And only then, when you're in big trouble, because they outnumber you and have you cornered.

They're a nice option to have, not a necessity, and also, not that many. If they were, your run better be worth for all the trouble to begin with all that binding.
1 or 2 should normally be enough.

Neat trick, I assumed that the spirit could only sustain/bind a spell with a force equal to its force. Maybe I'll just start the game with Spirit Bane and only pick on that spirit type...
They can sustain/bind a spell of any force, their own force rating only determines the number of days they'll going to last, as long as they're eligible for the spell category, of course.
Oh wow, that's definitely a neat trick! Do spirits take drain when they cast spells? In SR2, they didn't but I can't see anything one way or the other in SR4.
Yes, they do take drain. However, a bound spirit will cast the spell at the force that you dictate him for sure. A normal summoned spirit might not, as he's not that close to you.
Whenever you use the spellcasting skill, you also automatically have to resist drain.

Innate Spell only grants the knowledge of a spell. Notice that every critter and spirit with innate spell also automatically has spellcasting as a skill, without it no one could cast magic.

The rules in 4th edition apply to everyone.
DireRadiant
Using bound spirits is expensive. But can accomplish amazing things.

Spell Binding and Sustaining are incredibly powerful. There's nothing like going into a sustained facility penetration run with your street sam in security armor, with an armor spell, improved invisibility, and levitate all running and powered for an entire day.

Want your entire team to fly for a day? 4 spirits spell binding Levitate can do it. Works great for an impromptu parachute drop.

Aid sorcery for that extra 4 or 5 dice just for that final ooomph, or to save your butt when your down to your last few DV.

Bound spirits, powerful and expensive.
Cain
I'm not so sure a bound spirit is easy to sneak into a secure facility. They'd have to break past the barriers/wards too unless you brought them down on the way in. In that case, no one is sneaking in because the alarms are raised and its a full blown invasion at that point.

Unless I'm mistaken, bound spirits hang out on their native metaplane until called. Thus, they bypass wards when you call them to you.

Do you get to keep your Summoning services past sunrise/sunset even if you bind the spirit?

Yes. In fact, that's the only way to keep services past sunrise/sunset. In theory, you could have the same spirit hang around for years, if you don't use up its services.
toturi
Remember you need Binding for your Ally.
Wasabi
Several Bound Guidance/Guardian/Plant spirits with counterspelling equal to their force really wreak havok on enemy mages.
Particle_Beam
Way too expensive. If you need to wreck another enemy mage, simply let your teammates shoot a bullet in his head, while you shield them against the magical attacks or banish his own sustained spells. Unless you're on that special run where your Johnson will pay you so much that it is still viable to use so much bound spirits.
Wasabi
Expensive is a relative term. If you make 15k on a job and spend 3k its still profitable. Besides, cost per service goes down as ability goes up especially when edge is involved. Binding is the one way a mage can take all his leftover edge and really profit solely from Edge he didnt spend anyway.

If you use a temp spirit for day to day and save the armada for critical moments then its not so very expensive unless you want the added effectiveness of numbers... and when you need the armada its drain-free and on call. One complex action and a group of the same type of spirit can be ordered into the fray. Regenerating, counterspelling Great Form Plant Spirits are just SICK with how powerful they are!
Particle_Beam
Well, your 3k-expense-example would either be for at least one force 6 spirit, or 2 force 3 spirits, or 3 force 2 spirits, or whatever mix you can make and so on. That's either not many, or not really powerful when expecting to need them in dire situations. Which is not to say that this isn't bad, but it clearly shows that you can't have all too many powerful bound spirits if you're doing a mediocre payed run.
Also, the higher the force, the lesser services owed to you, edge or not, and the more expensive it simply gets. And who's not to say that the spirit will use edge to try to avoid being bound to you?

In the end, it's all upon the individual team members how they want to maximize their profits and if they believe they need it or can take it.

We all remember SR 3, where hermetics needed to pay 1k for every force point. But then again, they also recommended higher pay for runs (because they had more insane prices... Like paying 100k for a lousy cyberarm... Not that the current SR4-cyberlimbs are that much better, though they reduced the prices massively nyahnyah.gif ).
twilite
Just a note from the dice pools from the OP:

Only one focus can apply to a single test (p191 under Bonding). You can't use both a Power Focus and a Binding Focus on the same test. If you have the Binding Focus, use its dice for the Drain test instead. You can more than make up the dice with Mentor Spirit advantages (which go for any test with that Spirit type, Summoning, Binding or Banishing) and with skill specialization.

If you are serious about Summoning, you can also take Spirit affinity to make sure that they are less likely to use Edge against you, or to kill you for your presumption in binding them if they get loose. Watch out for abusing the spirits though, or using them to abuse the game, as the GM may invoke the Bound Spirits rule on p178.

They can give access to helpful buffs such as movement and concealment, cast and sustain spells if they have the Innate Spell ability, effectively one shot opponents with Fear, and provide a massive force multiplier. Ordering a spirit to kill all your opponents is a single service, so you can do some rationing with their services. Plus, they have a decent survivability rate with their Immunity to Normal Weapons- a swarm with your support can take down opponents faster than they can drop the spirits.

Having them sustain your spells is generally not worth it- 1 service per force in combat turns of sustaining. That burns out real quick. Note that as mentioned before, Spell Binding will mean that spirits hate you- be prepared to have tons of Edge used against you anytime you summon or bind, and they will kill you if they go free.

So, overall, expensive but very useful.
Particle_Beam
Well, spell binding won't make all spirits to hate you immeditately, but if you use if often, then yes. Spell sustaining can be worthwile, especially then, if the spirit is high force.
Eleazar
One aspect I haven't seen mentioned that pertain directly to the utility of bound spirits is how your GM handles spirits' services. If he is nickel and dime-ing you on the services, bound spirits really lose their sting. The Force 1 idea for sustaining is a very good idea, especially at only 500 nuyen. The key for bound spirits is to structure the services in a way to ensure one service lasts for a very long time, as to get most utility for your nuyen and reduce the opportunity cost.

Binding is not something I even do, or have had the chance to do in the current SR4 campaign I am playing. That and I don't think I even have the binding skill for my current mage. It was lost in the stead of other skills I deemed more necessary for the character. I have been just fine summoning 1 spirit each time it became necessary. The only thing I have been missing out on are the services exclusive to binding. That and any ally spirits I might have decided to get if I had taken binding. Though, I am thinking that number would be 0.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Particle_Beam)
Well, spell binding won't make all spirits to hate you immeditately, but if you use if often, then yes. Spell sustaining can be worthwile, especially then, if the spirit is high force.

Spirits of Man doing Innate Spell don't suffer from the 'gonna kill you later' syndrome like the sustaining does.
Lilt
Binding is an option, not a necessity. It allows them to achieve a much higher potential effect, albeit at expending a much greater personal cost.

Sometimes your team might agree to fund a bonding ritual if they know it'll allow the team to achieve goals they otherwise would have more trouble achieving.

It's a bad idea to regard them as magic bullets for your magic gun. Unless you can get them cheaply (see below), use them where you get lasting and meaningful benefit from the services, or when it's a matter of life or death.

Services on the cheap:
  • Keep summoning materials on hand, use them when the time is right.
    Let's say your daily routine includes summoning a force 4 spirit at the start of most days, if not one in the morning and one after nightfall. Lets say you were lucky and scored a large successes today, and the spirit scored none. You thus have a spirit that owes you 6 services. If you just summon one to bond, you might only get 2 or so services.

Remember, SR4 has a very high variance. Although the expected number of rolls from 11 dice (5 magic, 4 skill, 2 totem or power focus) is 3+1/3, the probability of the same conjurer getting 6 or more successes is actually reasonably likely to occur... I did a spread-sheet and it came-out just above 4%, meaning a character can expect that many successes once or twice a month (twice if you summon at sunset too).

If you factor the fact that you'd probably summon even more often if you're picky, opting to dismiss and re-summon if you don't get 2 or more services (happens about 30% of the time).
  • Consider using edge on the bonding test.
    Not only do you greatly increase your chances of bonding your chosen spirit, you also get another service for every extra success. The net result, combined with waiting for the above lucky summon, could reasonably be 10 or more services... That's 200 nuyen.gif each, which is a fair bit cheaper than equivalent options.

Yes, you're down a point of karma, but wouldn't you say that a few services from a respectable force spirit can be as useful as one re-roll on a check? Sure, there are some functions which spirits can't replicate, but aren't there some things spirits can do that karma can't too?
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Lilt)
[*]Consider using karma on the bonding test.
Not only do you greatly increase your chances of bonding your chosen spirit, you also get another service for every extra success. The net result, combined with waiting for the above lucky summon, could reasonably be 10 or more services... That's 200 nuyen.gif each, which is a fair bit cheaper than equivalent options.

Yes, you're down a point of karma, but wouldn't you say that a few services from a respectable force spirit can be as useful as one re-roll on a check? Sure, there are some functions which spirits can't replicate, but aren't there some things spirits can do that karma can't too?
[/LIST]

Wait, you can use karma in binding spirits? Where does it say that?
Jaid
i assume he's confused karma pool with edge =P
Cain
Actually, you can use karma. If you burn a point of Edge on the summoning test, you'll score an automatic critical success. You then spend karma to replace that Edge point. Expensive, but occasionally worth it, as you can earn 4 services from a force-10 spirit that way.
Lilt
Eep... Jaid's right. Edited.

Not played for a while, seem to have slipped back into 3rd edition mode... Partially.

Another point:
I'd expect a bound spirit to more readily spend its edge to assist the character, whilst I'd expect a summoned spirit to only spend its edge on self-preservation.
Particle_Beam
Depends. One conjurer who got bad vibes will surely entice every spirit to actively try resisting the binding ritual, with edge if it needs too. After all, their life depends on it.
laughingowl
QUOTE (Lilt)

I'd expect a bound spirit to more readily spend its edge to assist the character, whilst I'd expect a summoned spirit to only spend its edge on self-preservation.

I would have to argue against this.

'Bound' in no ways make the spirit like you. Spirit Affinity and/or treating spirits right might.

I belive the developers have posted (dont feel like using my search-fu) that you can NOT force spirits to use edge.

If explicitly using a service you can force an overcast. but it is a direct service.

'Protect us during this run and fight the people we are fighting' would be a service for a day/nights worth of runs.

'Cast Manaball at your Force*2 at these people' would be an service all by itself.

You can request it to 'help' or 'kill' for a service, but 'how' it helps is left to itself. You can give an very explicit instruction, but then that instruction is a service by itself.
Wakshaani
And mad props, here, for the Life and Death notice.

Let's say that you're down to your last Physical box and, in the process of not getting more, you now have a happy pile of 7 Stun damage as well.

Bad day for you.

Luckily, you have a Spirit of Man on call! *ding!* No need to make summoning rolls and risk a Bad Scene, he's right there, ready to serve! Cast a heal spell on you, then, if needed, can conceal you and whisk you away, all quiet-like.

Yeah, that was an expensive one-way ticket, but at least it was to a destination that you'd like.
laughingowl
AS a sideline to the whole thing if you are going to be a frequent summoner / binder, then raising enchanting becomes well worth it.

If you can make a Enchanting+Magic (force, 1 day) extended test, you can cut the cost from ¥500 to ¥400 right off by buying radical instead of the binding ritual materials.

If you by the raw materials ¥50 per unit and process them into refined yourself (Enchanting + Magic (number of reagents, 1 day) Extended Test) you can cut the cost to ¥200 per force of spirit (4 refined units).

If you have a fair amount of downtime you can cust the cost even more by processing the raw into radicals:

a 28 day process (requiring you to tweak it every 8 hours), can process up to your magic in materials. a simple Magic+Enchanting (2) test suceeds. Only 2 radicals (per force) are needed for ritual materials. So 'buying' your goods it is possibly only ¥100 per force of spirit bound.

If you really have time to kill you could gather them yourself for totally free binding, but 1 raw per (survival+intution: 8, 1 hour) test to get a single raw really isnt worth ¥50 IMO.

Still a binding process at ¥200 nuyen per force with an extra 2 days thrown in for 'processing' isnt such a bad gig.
Mistwalker
If you really like binding, and get the Invoking Metamagic ability, you can get great form spirits.

Guardian and Task spirits have Endowment ability, if greater form and you rolled well. This will allow them to give you one of their powers, and they have combat, physical and technical skills as optional powers.

So, your Guardian spirit force 6 grants you heavy weapons rank 6, while your Task spirit force 6 grants you Gymnastics 6, or Demolitions 6.
Give your Guardian spirit a grenade launcher or HMG, and he can watch your back.

There are other options out there as well.

So, I would say binding is usefuk.
Particle_Beam
That's of course assuming the heavy drain of an invoked force 6 spirit didn't knock you down. nyahnyah.gif
Dancer
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
Guardian and Task spirits have Endowment ability, if greater form and you rolled well. This will allow them to give you one of their powers, and they have combat, physical and technical skills as optional powers.

Assuming your tradition allows you to summon them, of course.
Buster
Luckily, you have a Spirit of Man on call! *ding!* No need to make summoning rolls and risk a Bad Scene, he's right there, ready to serve! Cast a heal spell on you, then, if needed, can conceal you and whisk you away, all quiet-like.
Very cool idea. As a service, can you say "If I'm ever knocked unconscious, materialize, heal me, and carry me home"? Sort of an astral doc wagon contract.

AS a sideline to the whole thing if you are going to be a frequent summoner / binder, then raising enchanting becomes well worth it.
That's a great idea too, I was trying to think of a good reason to buy Enchanting when I don't need many foci.

For gather raw materials, an unbound earth or plant spirit would be just the trick. A quick Search later, and all your materials are free!

Can you use task spirits to monitor the radical process?
Dancer
An aside from Binding - is 'cast and sustain this spell on me' a suitable service for a Summoned spirit? If so, you could issue it as a Remote Service, allowing you to Summon another spirit. While everyone's armoring up and checking their weapons before the run, the mage Summons a spirit and orders it to buff him. It sits down on the floor to sustain the spell as he Summons the next. Half a dozen spirits of man later he lies down for an hour to clear his head, then goes on the run. All the spells vanish at sunrise, but hopefully he's well clear by then.
Jaid
2 things (to 2 separate posts):

1) having a spirit in the astral with the orders to do something if you go unconcious is a bad idea. specifically, when you go unconcious and the spirit is present, the spirit goes uncontrolled, iirc. you could give it other contingent orders though, imo.

2) they closed the unbound service summoning nonsense. you can't send infinite spirits on remote services.
Particle_Beam
QUOTE (Buster)
For gather raw materials, an unbound earth or plant spirit would be just the trick. A quick Search later, and all your materials are free!
No, it would need to be a bound spirit. And search will only make you find any material, but not necessarily one that is usable for enchanting. Without appropriate skills, the spirit couldn't distinguish a normal mundan material from a raw material that could be used for enchanting.
Only if you've bound it may it directly help you per the optional rules.

Can you use task spirits to monitor the radical process?
A bound task spirit sure, because it wouldn't vanish after sunset or sunrise. Though you'd better use an ally spirit in that case.

QUOTE (Dancer)
If so, you could issue it as a Remote Service, allowing you to Summon another spirit.
A summoned spirit on a remote service still counts towards your limits of summoned spirits until it has finished its task per the fourth printing of the SR 4th edition corebook (or simply errata 1.5 for everybody else). So you can't summon any new one till then.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Particle_Beam)
That's of course assuming the heavy drain of an invoked force 6 spirit didn't knock you down. nyahnyah.gif

Best use for Edge, EVER. Luckily it can usually be done between runs.
Buster
QUOTE (Buster @ Jul 3 2007, 10:43 PM)
I'm not so sure a bound spirit is easy to sneak into a secure facility.  They'd have to break past the barriers/wards too unless you brought them down on the way in.  In that case, no one is sneaking in because the alarms are raised and its a full blown invasion at that point.

I stand corrected. It's called the "Metaplanar Shortcut" in Street Magic p94. As long as the owner is on one side of the barrier, the spirit can go to his metaplane, then come back on the owner's side of the barrier. Pretty neat trick and lets you hide the entourage in their respective metaplanes while you're sneaking around.
laughingowl
Any good math majors out there? /em duck ...

Looking at break points:

If having a spirit to sustain spells.

What is the most effective level at a given dice pool... (turn per nuyen).

Not counting downtime 'binding', just ¥X spent on ritual material versus Y Services (*Force) equal Z turns of sustained spells.

Seems to me a low force 2-3 spirit with ALOT of services is likely cheaper way to have a sustain spirit then a single high force.

Also on a related note:

Can Ally spirits Sustain spells?

"An ally spirit follows the standard rules for spirits with the following exceptions:"

Goes to gives changes to Aid Sorcery and Aid Study but no mention of spell sustaining and spell binding.

Likewise a little later:

An ally spirit’s services are never exhausted. Ally spirits can be called upon to perform any service possible of an unbound orbound spirit (p. 179, SR4) an unlimited number of times. Such services include Aid Sorcery and Aid Study (see above), Loaned Service, Resist Drain (see below), Spell Binding, and Spell Sustaining, among others. Note that ally spirits do not count towards the initiate’s limits on bound or unbound spirits.

Specifically mentions Spell Sustaining .. Now the question. the 'exception' section says Aid Sorcery and Aid Study, the ally is not bound to a particular catagory of spells, should this also be for Spell Sustaining? or is this limited by the home plane of the spirit.

So is a pile of force 1 ally spirits in the mages bunker the 'cheapest' sustaining foci out there?

Force of spirit doesnt limit the force of spell.

Unlimited services used at a rate of 1 per turn, doesnt run out...

Nothing I can see limits more then one ally spirit.

So mage a few force 1 ally's in the mage's bunker and mage has sustained:

Force X Increase Willpower
Force X Increase (other drain attribute)
Force X (why not if going to be sustained) Increase Reflexes
Force X Increase Reaction
Force X Increase Body
Force X whatever you want.

All for potential 8 karma (for sustaining ally spirit) (not counting the intial intiatation).
Buster
Seems fair to me, a metamagic power is definitely not a cheap investment. Also, you can't hide the ally spirit like you could hide a focus or quickening sustained spell with extended masking. And a low-force ally can get disrupted fairly easily. Besides, a criminal has to take Flexible Signature, Masking, and Extended Masking before he can even think about taking another metamagic so it'll be a while before he can Ally Conjuration. Cheap allies sustaining your spells seems like a great alternative to Quickening.
Buster
QUOTE (Particle_Beam @ Jul 4 2007, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (Buster)
No, it would need to be a bound spirit. And search will only make you find any material, but not necessarily one that is usable for enchanting. Without appropriate skills, the spirit couldn't distinguish a normal mundan material from a raw material that could be used for enchanting.
Only if you've bound it may it directly help you per the optional rules.

Wait, Search is a power, not a perception check. As long as you have the knowledge of what you're looking for, you just need to pass a mental image to your spirit in order for them to use Search to find it. They don't even have to materialize to use the Search power. You don't need a bound spirit to do this, an unbound spirit can use it's Search power too.
FrankTrollman
Urgh. I get so mad about that sometimes. Here's what the document said when I sent it into playtesting and editting:

QUOTE (Frank Trollman's Street Magic Draft)
Services of Ally Spirits
An ally spirit can be called upon to perform any service that an unbound spirit may be asked to perform an unlimited number of times. In addition, an ally spirit may perform the following additional tasks:

Resist Drain: An ally spirit may be asked to take the Drain of a spell that the character is casting in her place. The ally's magic attribute is used to determine if the drain is physical or not. Alternately, the character can buy an extra success on any drain resistance roll at the cost of the ally suffering one box of physical drain (no drain resistance allowed). In either case, this is an agonizing process for the spirit, and if used frequently will encourage animosity in the ally.

Aid Study: An ally spirit may aid study (see p. 178, SR4) exactly as if it was a normal bound spirit. An ally spirit is considered to be appropriate for every spell category for this purpose, and does not count against the limit of one bound spirit aiding in the learning of a spell.

Use Magic: Unlike normal spirits, the ally spirit has access to magical skills and can use magic as its master can, with the exception that it cannot use skills from the Conjuration skill group.

And then after editting it got changed to be a copy/paste of the Bound Spirit list even though that makes no sense. When I saw that I literally sent swear words to Rob and demanded that he change it back, but he didn't.

-Frank
Particle_Beam
QUOTE (Buster)
Wait, Search is a power, not a perception check. As long as you have the knowledge of what you're looking for, you just need to pass a mental image to your spirit in order for them to use Search to find it. They don't even have to materialize to use the Search power. You don't need a bound spirit to do this, an unbound spirit can use it's Search power too.

It will easily find any object, but it will not find specifically a raw reagent material, because a normal and mundane object looks exactly the same like a potentially usable item for enchanting. The spirit itself can't distinguish between the item (like a herb) that is actually useful, and another that just is worthless. Because reagents look exactly the same as any normal substance, the spirit won't be of any use to you, as long as it doesn't have the knowledge skill itself. The mental image you would provide him won't be enough.
Da9iel
Except that they look different on the astral. And spirits are astral beings. And the Image sent to the spirit by the magician can easily be an astral image. I'd allow it.
Particle_Beam
They don't look different. They only have a magical potential. You don't need astral perception to look for a reagent. What you need is the knowledge to find and then to distinguish them, made by a Intuition and Survival test. Which even a mere mundan human might have, while on the other hand a spirit doesn't, with perhaps the exception of a force 3 task spirit.
laughingowl
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Urgh. I get so mad about that sometimes. Here's what the document said when I sent it into playtesting and editting:

QUOTE (Frank Trollman's Street Magic Draft)
Services of Ally Spirits
An ally spirit can be called upon to perform any service that an unbound spirit may be asked to perform an unlimited number of times. In addition, an ally spirit may perform the following additional tasks:

Resist Drain: An ally spirit may be asked to take the Drain of a spell that the character is casting in her place. The ally's magic attribute is used to determine if the drain is physical or not. Alternately, the character can buy an extra success on any drain resistance roll at the cost of the ally suffering one box of physical drain (no drain resistance allowed). In either case, this is an agonizing process for the spirit, and if used frequently will encourage animosity in the ally.

Aid Study: An ally spirit may aid study (see p. 178, SR4) exactly as if it was a normal bound spirit. An ally spirit is considered to be appropriate for every spell category for this purpose, and does not count against the limit of one bound spirit aiding in the learning of a spell.

Use Magic: Unlike normal spirits, the ally spirit has access to magical skills and can use magic as its master can, with the exception that it cannot use skills from the Conjuration skill group.

And then after editting it got changed to be a copy/paste of the Bound Spirit list even though that makes no sense. When I saw that I literally sent swear words to Rob and demanded that he change it back, but he didn't.

-Frank

Frank:

So your intentions were Ally couldn't Aid Sorcery, Spell Sustain, Spell Binding (though have to admit this one would be stupid to use).

Spell Sustaining: I can see though not sure I am dead set against it.

Aid Sorcery: To me though is one of the classic uses of a familiar (and has always been able to help here), and considering there is an extra block in the book with how Aid Sorcery differs from normal spirits I would think this one was intentally allowed and perhaps you missed it on your cut-n-paste
FrankTrollman
So your intentions were Ally couldn't Aid Sorcery, Spell Sustain, Spell Binding (though have to admit this one would be stupid to use).

In the original write-up, Ally spirits did the same thing that they did in the previous 3 editions: count as an additional cumulative Power Focus while within LOS of the magician. So with Allies giving a bonus equal to Force on every check that utilized the conjurer's Magic attribute, allowing them to use Aid Sorcery on top of that was undesirable.

Changing this to unlimited Aid Sorcery and unlimited Spell Sustain seems like a really shit idea to me. I was there for the announcement, and I pointed out the obvious problems, and it happened anyway, and I still don't know why.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012