Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tripods and Smart fireing platforms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tarantula
Tripods state that they give 6 recoil compensation when used on a weapon.

Smart fireing platforms state that they are non-mobile robotic tripods, that comes with software and are able to fire the gun or let someone remotely aim and fire the gun. Only if the gun is smartlink enabled.

My question is, since the smart fireing platform doesn't say it grants any recoil compensation, does that mean you trade getting 6 points of RC for being able to aim and fire a gun without exposing yourself to return fire?

Another question, is the interpretation of "non-mobile". I understand it to mean that the tripod can't walk around on its own, like a 3 legged drone. Someone else said they though it mean you installed the SFP in a location, and could not move it, but would then be able to attach a weapon to it.

Non-mobile to me means the tripod can't move itself around

To them its that the tripod cannot be moved.
Lagomorph
I imagine them to be the sentry turrets from aliens, you can lug them up to a location and set them up, then they scan for items and shoot. Since they are a tripod, they have the benefits of a tripod.
Begby
Aye, like sentry turrets. Agree.
Aku
wow, rather one sided so far, eh?
Tarantula
So, to add some discussion in with this, would you allow a hacker to carry an SMG with a SFP attached to it around, when combat starts, set it down around a corner and drop into full VR, then use it to combat semi-effectively along with the street sammies?
mfb
a non-mobile tripod, to me, would be like what i used for the .50 cal in the army. the tripod and weapon are both man-portable (different men, obviously), so you can break the gun and tripod down and move them to a different location. you can't use them while you're moving them--they have to be set up again.
Tarantula
See, and instead, for the cheap cost of 3000, one can get a doberman instead. Which moves on its own, and has a weapon. Its only 1000 more than a smart fireing platform even. And, depending on your GM, you might get the gun with it for free.
Marwynn
Well, in a sense these SFPs are just immobile drones. I don't see why you can't just jump in them (or say someone else) and lug them around.

However, setting them up should take something more than just setting it down and running away. It should be a complex action to unlimber it, set it properly, and so forth.

But as long as the SMG has a smartgun system I say why not?
Glyph
QUOTE (Tarantula)

See, and instead, for the cheap cost of 3000, one can get a doberman instead. Which moves on its own, and has a weapon. Its only 1000 more than a smart fireing platform even. And, depending on your GM, you might get the gun with it for free.

"Depending on the GM?" The description outright states that it "Comes equipped with one weapon (LMG or smaller)". The main advantage of the smart firing platform is that it has that recoil compensation, although a drone is still usually more versatile.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Tarantula)
So, to add some discussion in with this, would you allow a hacker to carry an SMG with a SFP attached to it around, when combat starts, set it down around a corner and drop into full VR, then use it to combat semi-effectively along with the street sammies?

Sure, but as I recall:

1. The full on 6RC tripods are not exactly trivial to carry around. Their dimensions tend to be unwieldy, and depending on the tripod can be quite heavy.
2. If the guy is in full VR, his body is basically a sitting duck. If someone attacks him/her, their roll will not be opposed. Certain modifiers may apply, like say, "prone."
3. He's going to be using electronic senses with all of the associated advantages and disadvantages.
Rotbart van Dainig
Sure, but if they toss in a streetline special for free...
Tarantula
QUOTE (Glyph)
QUOTE (Tarantula)

"Depending on the GM?" The description outright states that it "Comes equipped with one weapon (LMG or smaller)". The main advantage of the smart firing platform is that it has that recoil compensation, although a drone is still usually more versatile.

So, you'd be perfectly fine with having your doberman come with an HK XM30 with the shotgun, carbine, sniper, and lmg upgrades as well? Total cost of 6000. Comes free with a 2000 drone? Well hell, I'll just buy drones, and sell those guns through a fixer for a very nice cash bonus. Easier than running the shadows, thats for sure.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
1. The full on 6RC tripods are not exactly trivial to carry around. Their dimensions tend to be unwieldy, and depending on the tripod can be quite heavy.
2. If the guy is in full VR, his body is basically a sitting duck. If someone attacks him/her, their roll will not be opposed. Certain modifiers may apply, like say, "prone."
3. He's going to be using electronic senses with all of the associated advantages and disadvantages.

1. The book mentions nothing of any kind of weight, encumbrance, or any thing else as to that. Theres no reason to buy a bipod instead of a tripod, except bipods are usable prone/sitting, and tripods are only sitting/kneeling.
2. Yes, full VR I agree. AR and issuing command orders to it (Using command + automatics) not nearly as bad.
3. Agreed, but its not expensive to throw in a clearsight autosoft to offset the -3 metahuman penalty for sensors.
kzt
QUOTE (Tarantula)

1.  The book mentions nothing of any kind of weight, encumbrance, or any thing else as to that.  Theres no reason to buy a bipod instead of a tripod, except bipods are usable prone/sitting, and tripods are only sitting/kneeling.

So you wouldn't mind if your players/NPCs pulled Ultimax-HMG-2's out of their back pockets? After all, "The book mentions nothing of any kind of weight, encumbrance, or any thing else as to that". Right?
Tarantula
To me, tripod is 3 legs that come out of the gun, that i'd assume fold up under it somehow when not in use. Since it says sitting or kneeling only, I think of it like a camera tripod, but shorter. Maybe half as tall. Those aren't that hard to set up, you pull on one of the legs and the others come out, till it locks. Done. I don't see how 3 hollow tubes of metal would add a whole ton of weight to a weapon to the point of making it unwieldy or anything. Especially in the case of HMGs and the like.

To address your point, most people have a good sense of how large a HMG is. I've explained my view of how large a tripod would be. And, to address the SFP issue, I don't see how if we have cyberarms with mechanical muscles in them that have room to spare, there couldn't be some servos on the SFP strong enough to replicate someone holding a gun and aiming it. Which leads me to believe it'd be negligibly heavier than the base tripod model.

Edit: To support my position a bit, I googled up some tripods, and found the M122/M122A1 tripod. M60, M240 and M249 machine guns use it. And it weighs 14 pounds. An updated version of it being used more often is 11.5 pounds. By 2070, I'm very sure the weight is near negligible.
kzt
QUOTE (Tarantula)
By 2070, I'm very sure the weight is near negligible.

Not likely. A tripod stabilizes the gun largely due to it's weight, which allows it to absorb the recoil. To properly set it up for stable fire you have to pile sandbags on the feet and legs. Which it's why it's pretty darn immobile once set up. And I'd rather suspect that the weight you found doesn't include the T&E or pintle assembly, which are heavier than they look.
Tarantula
Tripod
Heres my link. Looks like its the whole shebang except for the gun, 11.5 pounds. Not really unwieldy. SFP couldn't be much more than double that weight considering sensor weight is negligible, and they can reproduce your arm strength for aiming with servos pretty easy.
kzt
You don't really need any arm strength for aiming. That's what the T&E does, assuming you have the tripod properly stabilized with sandbags. It's faster to not use the T&E, but you can do some very cool things using the T&E. Like hitting a target that you can't detect but someone else can, or laying down several hundred meters of grazing fire that kills anyone moving through it.
Tarantula
My point is for the SFP, you aren't touching the gun whatsoever. Thus, the tripod is turning and aiming the gun on its own, which is why I made the point about arm strength and servos.

So, you accept a tripod with all the stuff required for it weighs a whole 11.5 pounds? Fantastic. So is it outside the realm of possibility that the SFP (which is just a tripod with some motors and sensors) is at least under 23 pounds (double the basic tripod).

So, is it not feasible to take an AK-97 Carbine (SMG class) weight just under 6lbs, according to wikipedia. Put a SFP on it (making total weight just under 29 pounds). Throw some ammo on it, I doubt a clip weighs much more than 2 pounds, so call it 31 pounds. I don't think its unresonable to be able to carry 30 pounds around, especially if you had some sort of should sling for the thing. Then its a matter of extending the tripod, and laying it in the general direction of what you're wanting to fire at. Duck behind the corner, hit AR/VR and start giving it orders.
kzt
Sure. Of course the recoil would result in the entire tripod and gun moving around, and probably flipping over in automatic fire, but other than that it would work fine.

If you sandbag it, stake the legs, or otherwise greatly increase the effective mass of the system it works a lot better.
Tarantula
You think the 20some odd pounds (roughly 3x the weight of the gun itself) isn't enough to keep its feet on the ground for an SMG which is shooting pistol ammo?
Glyph
QUOTE (Tarantula)
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 7 2007, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (Tarantula)

So, you'd be perfectly fine with having your doberman come with an HK XM30 with the shotgun, carbine, sniper, and lmg upgrades as well? Total cost of 6000. Comes free with a 2000 drone? Well hell, I'll just buy drones, and sell those guns through a fixer for a very nice cash bonus. Easier than running the shadows, thats for sure.

Why would a weapon attached to a drone come with the optional upgrades? By that logic, you could get a gas-vent III, ultrasound sensor, and airburst grenade link for an Ares Alpha. And the HK XM30 is out of limits for char-gen, Availability-wise.

By the RAW, the drone comes with a weapon. That doesn't mean that I would allow a character in a campaign I was running to get away with attempting a shoddy rules exploit. If I were running an SR3 game, you couldn't start with umpteen thousand survival knives and sell the trauma patches, either.
kzt
QUOTE (Tarantula)
You think the 20some odd pounds (roughly 3x the weight of the gun itself) isn't enough to keep its feet on the ground for an SMG which is shooting pistol ammo?

No, I don't. Give an AK-47 to a 3 year old and watch him control it on full auto. He'll be about 35 pounds on average. And putting a folding stock and a shorter barrel on an assault rifle doesn't make it shoot different bullets, it just makes it smaller.
Tarantula
47 is an assault rifle. It shoots rifle bullets. SMGs shoot pistol rounds. They have less recoil. The weapon I used in my example is an SMG. And, if you have the kid lay down, and strap the gun around his stomach, lay on his head, and shoot over his legs, I think his weight would do a very good job of controlling the recoil from the SMG.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Tarantula)
47 is an assault rifle. It shoots rifle bullets. SMGs shoot pistol rounds. They have less recoil. The weapon I used in my example is an SMG. And, if you have the kid lay down, and strap the gun around his stomach, lay on his head, and shoot over his legs, I think his weight would do a very good job of controlling the recoil from the SMG.

The Ak-97 "SMG" is a carbine, and the RL equivalent actually shoots rifle bullets just like the Ak-74 (5.45mm Block).

And since the weapon is lighter, recoil is probably even worse with the carbine than with the assault rifle.

But all this assumes some RL logic, which may not be applicable to this game - which makes this whole argument void, as the rules are not clear on this and some common sense must be applied.

In my game I'd allow assault rifle SFPs, not SMG or pistol. Although there would be no benefit over chosing a LMG SFP, this even comes with 5 recoil compensation for free (possibly stacking with tripod?).

As for the OP, I believe both option 3 and 4 are valid, depending on specification. Not everyone want their gun emplacement to be removable or knocked over by the first group of people getting within 1 meter of it, thus fixing it to the wall/ceiling makes sense which makes it almost immovable.
odinson
QUOTE (Tarantula)
My point is for the SFP, you aren't touching the gun whatsoever. Thus, the tripod is turning and aiming the gun on its own, which is why I made the point about arm strength and servos.

So, you accept a tripod with all the stuff required for it weighs a whole 11.5 pounds? Fantastic. So is it outside the realm of possibility that the SFP (which is just a tripod with some motors and sensors) is at least under 23 pounds (double the basic tripod).

So, is it not feasible to take an AK-97 Carbine (SMG class) weight just under 6lbs, according to wikipedia. Put a SFP on it (making total weight just under 29 pounds). Throw some ammo on it, I doubt a clip weighs much more than 2 pounds, so call it 31 pounds. I don't think its unresonable to be able to carry 30 pounds around, especially if you had some sort of should sling for the thing. Then its a matter of extending the tripod, and laying it in the general direction of what you're wanting to fire at. Duck behind the corner, hit AR/VR and start giving it orders.

Just caring it around is unreasonable. You would need t otake the gun off the sfp, fold the platform up and carry the 2 separately. I don't think that you could fold it up with the gun attached.carryign around 30lbs in a pack is one thing but carrying around 30lbs all spread out like that would be awkward and tiering. besides, 30lbs is a lot more than it sounds.
odinson
QUOTE (Tarantula)

actually in SR the recoil on any bullet is the same, no matter the size.
Tarantula
Then take any of the other SMGs listed in the book instead. mp5, or uzi if you'd like. As far as the game is concerned, recoil from tasers through assault rifles is the same. The only distinction is for heavy weapons (shotguns, MGs) that take double recoil penalties.

Pistols do not have bottom mounts, thusly can't mount tripods, bipods, or SFPs.

The LMG comes with a 5pt gas vent (barrel attachment) recoil that can't be removed or enhanced. So yes, that would stack with a bipod/tripod/shock pad.

I do agree that you could bolt a SFP down, and tie it into building defences, but in the context I was asking, was if you could attack your gun to your SFP, fold it up, see people approaching, set the gun up and drop behind some cover while ordering it to fire on the people.

There would be a few benefits to an AR SFP over an LMG one. Attach an ares alpha, and it can fire a grenade as well as going for full auto/bursts. Not only that, but an AR fireing on full auto from an SMP is at a base of (-9 full auto, +6 tripod) -3 recoil penalty. A MG is at (-9 full auto, +6 tripod = -3 x 2 heavy weapon) total -6 penalty. Now, if you use it on the LMG then its got 5 built in + 6 tripod and has no recoil penalty.

Regardless, I guess the answer is, it would be man portable, able to be set up with a complex action (as all bipods/tripods are) and anything with a bottom mount can be attached to it.

I guess the last question I have, is do folding stocks/shock pads have any effect on recoil when the weapon is attached to an SMP? My common sense says no. RAW says yes. Any disagreements with that?
Tarantula
QUOTE (odinson)
Just caring it around is unreasonable. You would need t otake the gun off the sfp, fold the platform up and carry the 2 separately. I don't think that you could fold it up with the gun attached.carryign around 30lbs in a pack is one thing but carrying around 30lbs all spread out like that would be awkward and tiering. besides, 30lbs is a lot more than it sounds.

The gun itself is normally 10 pounds. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to carry the gun with tripod attached, (on a weapon sling of some sort) without issue. I wouldn't allow firing it with the tripod attached but undeployed (without some sort of penalty to the attack roll) but, carrying it attached to the tripod? Why not?
odinson
QUOTE (Tarantula)
QUOTE (odinson @ Jul 8 2007, 02:51 AM)

The gun itself is normally 10 pounds. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to carry the gun with tripod attached, (on a weapon sling of some sort) without issue. I wouldn't allow firing it with the tripod attached but undeployed (without some sort of penalty to the attack roll) but, carrying it attached to the tripod? Why not?

You wouldn't be able to fold up the tripod with the gun attached. In that pic that you linked you're looking at a 30lbs mass spread out over about a square meter. The distribution would be far from even and that would be very awkward to carry. I wouldn't have any problem with a person carrying around the sfp folded up and the gun separate as they could both be put in packs or have a sling. Then as your first 2 complex actions you would set the tripod up, attach the gun and deploy it around the corner. Then your plan would work just fine.
Tarantula
So, would you rule the same for the 10 pound tripod as well? Effectively making a street sam burn his first 2 IPs to setup his tripod, and hook his gun on it?

Or are you ruling that way only because I guessed that at most an SFP would weigh twice that of a normal tripod. What if the difference was marginal? And the SFP weighed about the same as a tripod? A tad over 10 pounds. Why couldn't you carry the weapon around with the tripod folded up? I guess, argueably, by RAW the tripod takes no action to set up, so its 1 complex action to attach your gun to it, and nothing or a free to set the tripod up. Which makes it marginally better, but not by much.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Then take any of the other SMGs listed in the book instead. mp5, or uzi if you'd like. As far as the game is concerned, recoil from tasers through assault rifles is the same. The only distinction is for heavy weapons (shotguns, MGs) that take double recoil penalties.

Pistols do not have bottom mounts, thusly can't mount tripods, bipods, or SFPs.

The LMG comes with a 5pt gas vent (barrel attachment) recoil that can't be removed or enhanced. So yes, that would stack with a bipod/tripod/shock pad.

I do agree that you could bolt a SFP down, and tie it into building defences, but in the context I was asking, was if you could attack your gun to your SFP, fold it up, see people approaching, set the gun up and drop behind some cover while ordering it to fire on the people.

There would be a few benefits to an AR SFP over an LMG one. Attach an ares alpha, and it can fire a grenade as well as going for full auto/bursts. Not only that, but an AR fireing on full auto from an SMP is at a base of (-9 full auto, +6 tripod) -3 recoil penalty. A MG is at (-9 full auto, +6 tripod = -3 x 2 heavy weapon) total -6 penalty. Now, if you use it on the LMG then its got 5 built in + 6 tripod and has no recoil penalty.

Regardless, I guess the answer is, it would be man portable, able to be set up with a complex action (as all bipods/tripods are) and anything with a bottom mount can be attached to it.

I guess the last question I have, is do folding stocks/shock pads have any effect on recoil when the weapon is attached to an SMP? My common sense says no. RAW says yes. Any disagreements with that?

If you're thinking RL, then yeah an mp5 has less recoil than an ak74. So what? There are still no tripods made for mp5 in the real world.

In the game, the most sensible weapons to use with tripods are heavy weapons and possibly assault rifles.

The rules do not say wether SMGs have underbarrel mount or not, same with every other weapon really, but using an SMG with a tripod is just too silly.

Can you rapidly deploy a SFP in combat? I'd say no. Although it probably would not need sandbag to stabilize it, it still has to be deployed. This is not covered by the rules, yet tripods are meant for fortifications, not mobile units (bipods is something else). I'd probably require a minute to set it up, half that time when wired. Attaching and removing the weapon is only a complex action.

So not impossible as long as the combat has not already begun. Shock pads and folding stocks... well the rules doesen't say one or another, but common sense indicates that shock pads are useless unless shouldered, as are folding stocks.

And folding stocks are usually used with SMGs anyway, and pistols.

Why do you assume RAW says yes when it actually says nothing? Just because something is not specifically forbidden does it make it automatically allowed.
Tarantula
Page 301/302 says which weapons have mounts and such. In the sidebar about gear ratins.

In the game, the most sensible weapons to use tripods with are ones that can fire full auto. Hows this, the SFP has motors and servos and the like, why can't you toss it on the ground and tell it to set itself up? Or, carry it deployed (on a strap or somesuch) and free action "drop item" it on the ground, complex action attach your gun.

The rules say shock pads are 1RC, and folding stocks are 1 RC. Therefore, even if its mounted on a drone, they still provide their recoil the same as a gas vent, tripod, or anything else. You can't actually add a folding stock to a weapon, its not in the list. Only those SMGs/Pistols that come with one have noe, so your point about that is moot.

RAW saw yes, because shock pads provide 1 point of RC. It doesn't say "only while holding the weapon against your shoulder". Or "not if the weapon is in a vehicle mount". Therefore, a weapon with a shock pad, mounted on a vehicle has 1RC. By RAW. You could make an arguement that a mount (or the SFP) is designed to utilize the shockpad if the weapon attached has one, and thats why it gives the bonus.
odinson
QUOTE (Tarantula)
So, would you rule the same for the 10 pound tripod as well? Effectively making a street sam burn his first 2 IPs to setup his tripod, and hook his gun on it?

Or are you ruling that way only because I guessed that at most an SFP would weigh twice that of a normal tripod. What if the difference was marginal? And the SFP weighed about the same as a tripod? A tad over 10 pounds. Why couldn't you carry the weapon around with the tripod folded up? I guess, argueably, by RAW the tripod takes no action to set up, so its 1 complex action to attach your gun to it, and nothing or a free to set the tripod up. Which makes it marginally better, but not by much.

yeah, I'd make the sammy set the tripod up and attach the gun.
Begby
yah, the sammy would be strong enough to do it.
Glyph
As far as the folding stocks and shock pads, those items are typically listed in parentheses. On the gear ratings box on page 302, it states (emphasis mine):

QUOTE (BBB @ pg. 302)

Numbers in parentheses refer to full recoil compensation that only applies when all integral accessories are used (folding or detachable stocks and so forth).

So you would have to actually hold the weapon against your shoulder to get the benefit of a folding stock or shock pad. It would only add to recoil compensation on a drone or smart firing platform if, as you suggested, the GM rules that the device is built to utilize it.

I kind of agree that you could possibly carry a weapon and tripod "ready to deploy", but it would be incredibly awkward - I could see someone readying it in the van, then darting out to drop it down, but not running with it for any long distance.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Glyph)
As far as the folding stocks and shock pads, those items are typically listed in parentheses. On the gear ratings box on page 302, it states (emphasis mine):

QUOTE (BBB @ pg. 302)

Numbers in parentheses refer to full recoil compensation that only applies when all integral accessories are used (folding or detachable stocks and so forth).

So you would have to actually hold the weapon against your shoulder to get the benefit of a folding stock or shock pad. It would only add to recoil compensation on a drone or smart firing platform if, as you suggested, the GM rules that the device is built to utilize it.

I kind of agree that you could possibly carry a weapon and tripod "ready to deploy", but it would be incredibly awkward - I could see someone readying it in the van, then darting out to drop it down, but not running with it for any long distance.

Was gonna point this out as well.

Tarantula, you were right about the mount, I've missed that part and only used common sense. Not that it has mattered. I still think SMGs with bipods or tripods is a bit silly, unless custom made for it. I have a hard time imaginating an Ingram Mac X or an Uzi 4 on a tripod... Now, an mp5 with an underbarrel grenade launcher... hmm, stretching but maybe. An underbarrel laser sight? No problem. Although doesen't RL pistols have that also?

Oh and carrying it around fully deployed? Well, very cumbersome, but it could be done for short distances. Especially if you're a troll or something. But who would walk around with such a thing unless expecting trouble at any moment?
Synner667
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jul 8 2007, 05:48 AM)
Tripod
Heres my link.  Looks like its the whole shebang except for the gun, 11.5 pounds.  Not really unwieldy.  SFP couldn't be much more than double that weight considering sensor weight is negligible, and they can reproduce your arm strength for aiming with servos pretty easy.

You're having a jest, surely ??

I followed the link and if this is the sort of tripod you're thinking of, I think you need to have a serious rethink..

What use is an automated tripod system that's not even 3 ft off the ground ??
I don't see anything of the space for the electronics and motors that would be necessary for an automated weapon system.

Any automated platform must be quite heavy to counteract recoil, unless it uses some form of active recoil compensation to counteract the movement.

The ones in mission Impossible 3 are a good example - even though they're not machine guns - but they consist of a tripod mount and gun, with sensors and are used via remote control from a van nearby.

The one you link to relies on its lowness and the spread of its legs..
..But it's not what most people are thinking of, which are about chest height and quite sturdy.

Heck, if sentry guns are as light and easy to use as you have them, I can imagine most shadowrunners would get some and just set them up with uzis !!

I appreciate that materials get lighter and stronger as time moves on, but that's not what damps the recoil - in the same way that someone big and muscly can compensate for autofire, much better than someone who's thin and slender, even if they have the same strength.

As for weights and measures in SR - nothing has them, but that does not mean they aren't big. bulky and heavy.

Just my thruppence..
odinson
Doesn't everything have weights. It just isn't a listed stat. There is the section on encumbrance that tells the gm to make things up if he figures a character is using too much.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Glyph)

Nothing comes pre-assembled with shock pads, and thus, its not in parentheses. Therefore, the RC bonus from shock pads (only usable on rifles, shotguns, and machine guns) is a constant, whether mounted or not.

Surely you could carry it much like a duffel bag, slung across your chest with the tripod facing out. A quick release buckle, and you just hit the buckle, and help guide it so its pointing in roughly the direction you need to fire in. (SFPs have 180º coverage, with 60º inclination)
Tarantula
QUOTE (Synner667)
You're having a jest, surely ??

I followed the link and if this is the sort of tripod you're thinking of, I think you need to have a serious rethink..

What use is an automated tripod system that's not even 3 ft off the ground ??
I don't see anything of the space for the electronics and motors that would be necessary for an automated weapon system.

This is a basic tripod, as I said, sensor size in negligible, because you can have micro sensors inside something the size of a grain of rice. As far as motors, cyberarms have plenty of motors in them, and have plenty of room to spare inside them as well. Leading one to believe that motors in 2070 are quite small and easy to make.

QUOTE (Synner667)
Any automated platform must be quite heavy to counteract recoil, unless it uses some form of active recoil compensation to counteract the movement.

Whos to say this doesn't have active recoil compensation on it?

QUOTE (Synner667)
The ones in mission Impossible 3 are a good example - even though they're not machine guns - but they consist of a tripod mount and gun, with sensors and are used via remote control from a van nearby.

The one you link to relies on its lowness and the spread of its legs..
..But it's not what most people are thinking of, which are about chest height and quite sturdy.

In fact, the SFP is described as a tripod, which in SR4 is describe as being usable only while sitting, or kneeling. Thusly, I contest that most people are NOT thinking of some sort of contraption that is chest height.

QUOTE (Synner667)
Heck, if sentry guns are as light and easy to use as you have them, I can imagine most shadowrunners would get some and just set them up with uzis !!

I appreciate that materials get lighter and stronger as time moves on, but that's not what damps the recoil - in the same way that someone big and muscly can compensate for autofire, much better than someone who's thin and slender, even if they have the same strength.

Having a strength of 20 doesn't help you fire full auto any more than a strength of 1.

QUOTE (Synner667)
As for weights and measures in SR - nothing has them, but that does not mean they aren't big. bulky and heavy.

Just my thruppence..

You're right, but due to the fact that I found a machine gun tripod in use by the military today only weighing 11.5pounds, I don't see how it couldn't get either lighter in the future, or weigh the same while having more active recoil compensation on it.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Tarantula)
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 8 2007, 02:02 PM)
As far as the folding stocks and shock pads, those items are typically listed in parentheses.  On the gear ratings box on page 302, it states (emphasis mine):

Nothing comes pre-assembled with shock pads, and thus, its not in parentheses. Therefore, the RC bonus from shock pads (only usable on rifles, shotguns, and machine guns) is a constant, whether mounted or not.

Surely you could carry it much like a duffel bag, slung across your chest with the tripod facing out. A quick release buckle, and you just hit the buckle, and help guide it so its pointing in roughly the direction you need to fire in. (SFPs have 180º coverage, with 60º inclination)

Actually, several rifles do come with shock pads, for example the sniper rifles. And yes they list the RC in parantheses. pg. 309.

And yeah I agree it is possible to carry it, just not practical (imaging running through doorways, around corners, etc.

I'd incurr some heavy penalties if someone wanted to run around with it. But moving it short distances when not in combat? No problem, even deployed.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Tripod
Heres my link.  Looks like its the whole shebang except for the gun, 11.5 pounds.  Not really unwieldy.  SFP couldn't be much more than double that weight considering sensor weight is negligible, and they can reproduce your arm strength for aiming with servos pretty easy.

That's a ground mount. That's different than a chest height tripod, they only come up a few feet. Now, that's usually what's used for machine guns....

This is more what the others are talking about:
Tripod

And this...well....this is just awesome.
Tripod
Tarantula
Friend, you're right, I conceed that point, must've just missed it. smile.gif
How short is short? What about someone with a strength of 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. When would you stop assessing penalties. What if they were a troll? (With the extra long arms and such should be easier to carry). Wouldn't a troll have at least as hard of a time getting through a doorway as a human with a deployed tripod&gun strapped on his chest?

Gothic: That is a tripod as defined by the SR4 book.

Your first link says "the gun is mounted on a tripod of unusual appearance and design." Which tends to imply your example is not typical of a tripod, nor does it match the descriptions of the SR4 book in that it is only usable sitting or kneeling. Not standing.
Gothic Rose
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Friend, you're right, I conceed that point, must've just missed it. smile.gif
How short is short? What about someone with a strength of 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. When would you stop assessing penalties. What if they were a troll? (With the extra long arms and such should be easier to carry). Wouldn't a troll have at least as hard of a time getting through a doorway as a human with a deployed tripod&gun strapped on his chest?

Gothic: That is a tripod as defined by the SR4 book.

Your first link says "the gun is mounted on a tripod of unusual appearance and design." Which tends to imply your example is not typical of a tripod, nor does it match the descriptions of the SR4 book in that it is only usable sitting or kneeling. Not standing.

Not typical of tripods used nowadays. I was saying that's what other people think of when they think tripod. I know that's the sort of thing I think of. That, and the tripod that the snowtroopers set up for the repeating laser cannon in SW: The Empire Strikes Back.

Also, you really wouldn't be able to have a deployed tripod strapped to your chest... They're big, clunky, and even if you got it to stay, you'd be a sitting duck. An undeployed one, yeah, strap it across your back, take a simple action to ready it, complex to deploy, complex to attach le' gun, and you're good to go (I'd say). Tripods, as someone mentioned, are not meant for mid combat. They're meant to be deployed before combat, either as defense, or in an ambush scenario.
Ryu
A smart platform does not offer RC in my opinion - the usual advantage of a tripod is a second stable point for balancing the weapon, the first being the operator.

If you were to use it as a tripod, no objections from me against the RC. But not on it´s own. Feel free to add stand-alone RC as extra equipment (stronger servos etc).
TheDrake
Tarantula, the tripod you linked takes a military-disciplined 2 man crew 45-60 seconds to deploy and be ready to fire. How many rounds is that? 7-10 rounds of complex actions?
Jaid
QUOTE (TheDrake)
Tarantula, the tripod you linked takes a military-disciplined 2 man crew 45-60 seconds to deploy and be ready to fire. How many rounds is that? 7-10 rounds of complex actions?

15-20 actually.

for two people... presumably a fair amount longer for a 1 man crew wink.gif
Tarantula
QUOTE (TheDrake)

Source?
TheDrake
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jul 9 2007, 10:34 AM)
Source?

Saw it on FutureWeapons. I can't find a link to the segment.

QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 9 2007, 10:32 AM)
15-20 actually.

for two people... presumably a fair amount longer for a 1 man crew wink.gif

Oh right. I was thinking they were 6 seconds not 3.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012