Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tripods and Smart fireing platforms
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
mfb
Tarantula's link is basically what i was thinking of as a tripod. i've never seen one of those chest-height dealies. the linked tripod is the new version of what we used for the .50 cal; it does weigh a lot less, but it does still take time to set up. you have to unpack it from whatever carrying position you're carting it around in, unfold it, place it, make sure it's stable (if it's not, you're missing the whole point of having a tripod in the first place), unpack the weapon, set the weapon on the tripod, and engage the locking mechanism so the weapon doesn't fall off.
redne
Just saw a movie that had this company in the credits in the "our thanks to" section:

Precision Remotes Inc.

Seems to fit the topic...
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Ryu)
A smart platform does not offer RC in my opinion - the usual advantage of a tripod is a second stable point for balancing the weapon, the first being the operator.

If you were to use it as a tripod, no objections from me against the RC. But not on it´s own. Feel free to add stand-alone RC as extra equipment (stronger servos etc).

Check it out in the book. It is described as a tripod, and says "see below" where the Tripod stats and description is. The tripod offers 6 points of RC, thus so does the SFP.
Da9iel
Ah, I missed that "see below" implication. Thanks, Friend. (Does that make me a Dork?)
Shrike30
QUOTE (redne @ Jul 9 2007, 01:48 PM)
Just saw a movie that had this company in the credits in the "our thanks to" section:

Precision Remotes Inc.

Seems to fit the topic...

Someone saw "Shooter" I think smile.gif

That's always been my interpretation of the SFP. Honestly, if you *want* to carry thirty pounds of SFP and firearm around on your chest, be my guest. That's usually where I sling ammo. Or a hawaiian shirt, if I'm trying not to get arrested.

If you wanted to, you could drag around a .30 caliber machinegun attached to a deployed tripod. I'd probably choose to carry it on my back, which might make quick deployment difficult, but that's not the point. People can drag around fairly bulky 30+ pound objects if they really want to.

Would I want to? No. I've got better things to be doing with my hands than manhandling a tripod and machinegun around all the time. Could I, in theory? Sure. I can also, in theory, fire a .50 caliber machine gun from the hip. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
kzt
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Sure.  I can also, in theory, fire a .50 caliber machine gun from the hip.  Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If you can hold a 130lb gun with one hand and keep the muzzle of the 65 inch long gun on target I'd guess the recoil wouldn't be that bad. sarcastic.gif
Shrike30
I figured i'd use both hands... one on the butterfly grip, one on the heat shroud. As for hitting something, well... i didn't say it was a good idea.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Da9iel)
Ah, I missed that "see below" implication. Thanks, Friend. (Does that make me a Dork?)

Nahh, not unless you're the Dork One™.

Wiki Wheel of Time for details wink.gif
Tarantula
As to the precision remotes link. Its a vehicular mount. And as such, I'd say thats exactly what you're getting wth the "weapon mount" modification for vehicles/drones.

Anyway, I'm pretty much done with this thread. Consensus is its a tripod, gives you the 6RC, you can move it around (with how much difficulty will vary by GM).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012