Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh Please God help me!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Jul 11 2007, 12:03 AM)
Fights are usually resolved OOC, with a few IC comments.

I'm hoping you mean by rolling dice and not by actually spilling player blood.

Hah! You're not roleplaying if you can't sacrifice some REAL blood! :rolleyes:

I mean if course resolved verbally OOC, yes with dice and all.
Wordman
Some advice I didn't see people mention directly:
  • The first time you play, just have everyone choose an archetype from the book and do not generate your own characters. Important: let everyone know that this is just temporary and that the game will be "reset" after three or four session to begin "for real". This will save you lots of pain later, as you are free to screw up completely and learn the things you don't know. Likewise, the players will have a much better of how to build their own characters after the reset.
  • Try to track down two books either in the discount section of your role-playing store or through some nefarious p2p program: the Gamma World Player's Handbook and the Gamma World Game Master's Guide. What do these books have to do with Shadowrun? Nothing really. In fact, you can ignore most of what is in them. They are worth their weight in gold, however, for the parts that talk about generic things like "what is roleplaying" and "how to run a campaign". A number of books have sections like this, but these are first rate. When I read them, I remember thinking "I wish I would have read this 25 years ago". Should be required reading for any role-player. I'm not kidding.
bibliophile20
I know what you mean; I found them both at a Half-Price Books back home and devoured those sections (and I do have to say, though, if I were ever to run a d20 campaign, I would do it in the Gamma World setting)
Talia Invierno
Gamma World the original (almost co-existent with DnD), or the new edition?
Eleazar
I would like to know about the Gamma World too, I am thinking about checking it out. Great topic here you started DrPeteCastle, welcome to the forums.
Cheops
This might have all been said already but:

1) On the Run: it is actually a pretty bad run in terms of story but it is an INCREDIBLE resource for GMs. Honestly, the only reason I bought it was to help me make the shift from 3rd edition to 4th edition. It is more like a GM manual than an adventure book. Everything from how to setup the run to complications that can happen, to how to run certain key scenes (meeting the employer, end of run, etc).

2) Use templates as was suggested above. They are all actually REALLY good characters and could easily be used for a whole campaign. However, allowing players to make their own character after I'd say 5-10 sessions (so they know what they want to do and what the game is like) let them make their own. Call it a Tutorial.

3) Try to make each session revolve around 1 or 2 things. I don't suggest using OtR for the first 2-3 sessions. Basically, plan to have 1 session be a lot of IC role-playing where characters negotiate with the Johnson, talk to their contacts, and do data searches on the matrix. Give them helpful hints about how you are running things and what they should do/expect as shadowrunners. Next session figure out a way for them to get into combat. A fairly large fight can easily eat up the entire session when you are getting used to rules. This will also let you get used to the spellcasting and electronic warfare rules. Finally, try a session where you have a lot of astral stuff and full matrix runs.

4) Don't use the whole ruleset right away. Hopefully you have a good idea of how threshold tests, extended tests, glitches, and teamwork tests work. When in doubt fall back to these. Tell your players what you are doing. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know the rule and I don't know where it is in the book so I'll just say it is an extended test like this..." and then make a note of what rule it was and look it up after the session. This will keep things moving and let you know what to read more on. Make sure that you TELL YOUR PLAYERS what the real rule was and make an effort to use the rule properly from then on.

5) Don't worry about backstory and setting too much. Choose your city and paint it in broad strokes. I do recommend using Seattle as it has the most support, just don't try to jump in whole hog. Baby steps all the way until everyone is comfortable with the setting.

Hope this helps.
eidolon
QUOTE (Eleazar)
I would like to know about the Gamma World too, I am thinking about checking it out. Great topic here you started DrPeteCastle, welcome to the forums.

I have the Alternity version of Gamma World. There's definitely some stuff I'd toss, and as I understand it it's somewhat of a departure, but it's still pretty sweet.
Cain

1) On the Run: it is actually a pretty bad run in terms of story but it is an INCREDIBLE resource for GMs. Honestly, the only reason I bought it was to help me make the shift from 3rd edition to 4th edition. It is more like a GM manual than an adventure book. Everything from how to setup the run to complications that can happen, to how to run certain key scenes (meeting the employer, end of run, etc).
eidolon
On those notes, though, you could just pick up Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book and get the "how to run the game" advice and more, couldn't you?

edit: On that note, DrPete, I highly recommend MJLBB. It's a great book, IMO.
DrPeteCastle
Hmm Where could I pick up or read "Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book"? You guys certainly know ur stuff. There really needs to be a "playing shadowrun for dummies" book as well. This stuff is pretty complicating figuring out on your own.
eidolon
E-copy

Print Copy

Or, if you prefer E-bay.
knasser
I have it, and it is good. But it is 3rd edition. The GM screen for Shadowrun includes a booklet that is like a condensed version of it, and it's all fourth edition - characters and plot ideas, all ready for you. And fairly cheap, too.

If you want lots of background setting material, then get Runner Havens (print or PDF). This has a lot of background material which will make the setting much more real to you.

But don't feel that you need anything else. Lots of dice and vivid descriptions is all it really takes. biggrin.gif
Talia Invierno
*laugh* Doesn't take much to get the advice taps gushing wide open around here, does it?
James McMurray
Nope. You don't even have to want advice to get it. smile.gif
eidolon
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
*laugh* Doesn't take much to get the advice taps gushing wide open around here, does it?

Should it?

I would think that advice is one of the most important services that such a site provides. wink.gif
DrPeteCastle
amen smokin.gif
apollo124
When I first got into Shadowrun (1st edition!), it took me a long while to try to puzzle out how to play the game. Finally, I ended up just taking my time rolling up a character, then helping my friends roll up their characters, then starting in a simple premade adventure. The old classic "Food Fight" that was included in the 1st ed BBB. Nowadays, you should use the "On the Run" adventure, like others have mentioned.

Just take your time, take a deep breath, and remember that the idea is to have fun, however the game turns out. Checking out a local game store to sit in on a game would help to give you a heads-up on what a game looks like, and is a great place to find help (maybe even another shadowrunner who could lend a hand or join your game).

Good luck and welcome to our world!
tisoz
For those that do not have Food Fight, it just concerns a gang robbing a convenience store and the patrons, which happens to include the PCs. It can thus be recreated pretty easy. Part of the cool factor comes from stray shots making a mess of the environment.
Lindt
Infact... I believe that there was a forum Food fight right after sr4 came out.
IC: Sr4 Food Fight
OOC: Sr4 Food Fight

Search-Foo activate.
DrPeteCastle
Is it just me or is the vampire npc a little weak. I orginally wanted to make a pc with the hmvv(vampire) or an adventure around a vampire. In the super nintendo game they were immune to normal weapons and ur only chance was with strobes and a stake. The nosferatu in the book had to be taken out with a ridiculasly powerful mage. In the 4th edition book the stats are mediocre at best and the only real gift is the regeneration. Speaking of which are the werewolves/loopdewhatevers mediocre too? (got my info from wiki and 4th source book)
knasser
QUOTE (DrPeteCastle)
Is it just me or is the vampire npc a little weak.

It's you. biggrin.gif

The vampire in OtR is pretty nasty. I have to preface this by saying that in Shadowrun, it's often less about standing there slugging it out, as it is about tactics and betrayal. The concept of the big vampire villain that just keeps taking bullets for ages is not reallly the Shadowrun 4th way.

That said, regeneration will make a difference. On average, she will get three boxes of physical or stun damage back each combat turn. Get her away from the fight for ten seconds and she's as new. All she'd really have to do is say is call for a halt and parlay for a moment if she's near death and then be straight back at them. As it's probably a gun fight at night, the PCs aren't likely to notice that those bullet holes are healing up. Allow them a perception roll. Mist from might also help with this. There's a reason she picked a foggy graveyard, after all. wink.gif

Also, she has a high magic rating and excellent spellcasting, giving her spells quite a bit of oomph. Also note that one of her prime damage dealers is Acid Stream. As it's an indirect combat spell, it can also be more effective against groups that have counterspelling (it's less likely to be cancelled out entirely).

Additonally, she is a level three initiate and the shielding and centering will help as well.

But the big thing that you're missing, is the Essence Drain power. Have a close look at it and see how you can use acquired Essence to boost the vampire's stats. And then realise this includes Magic and have a big smile to yourself. Vampires in shadowrun aren't intended to be everlasting punchbags, but a vampire magician is still pretty nasty.
Rotbart van Dainig
Essence Drain to boost Attributes is limited, though - you need to do it within half an hour.
knasser
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 14 2007, 09:33 AM)
Essence Drain to boost Attributes is limited, though - you need to do it within half an hour.

True, but the effect lasts for 12 hours. If you know you have a dangerous meeting with an armed team of Shadowrunners this evening, you might just drain that guy who's been pestering you all week. wink.gif

I actually think she is quite dangerous without this, but then I tend to play my NPCs very tactically.

-K.

EDIT: I'm thinking in terms of the OtR adventure, however. If you're talking generally, then you're quite right. Essence drain is much less useful if you can't plan when you're going to use it.
Cheops
I found that the Influence power is pretty useful too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012