Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In game rewards and motivations
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
James McMurray
I do not believe anybody ever suggested that you couldn't play both at the same time.

Critias implied that you have to choose which type of game you want to play. That's what I was referring to.

On the other hand, playing without any changes to personality would be more boring than the other thing.

Only if my opinions of play style are the same as yours. There are lots of people who would be bored as tears in a game whose primary focus was on personality development.
Critias
More than anything else, I meant to be implying that you'd have to choose which game you wanted to play in if you planned on trying a "no karma" game.

I'm the first to agree, such a game wouldn't be for everyone. But it could remain a viable game, and be plenty of fun, with the right group of people.
James McMurray
Ah, sorry I misunderstood.
Particle_Beam
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Critias implied that you have to choose which type of game you want to play. That's what I was referring to.
He did? When I was reading his postings, they didn't occure to me that you have to chose, more of rather trying to explain this particular style of playing.
Only if my opinions of play style are the same as yours. There are lots of people who would be bored as tears in a game whose primary focus was on personality development.
Yes, nobody denies that, but I was more akin the point if there was a game where there was no personality development at all, which is more severe than a simple focusing on it.

Meh, to late... indifferent.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Critias)
It all comes down to the sort of game you want to play, as to what you call "character development." Speaking from my own Shadowrun experiences, I'd say my street sam developed more as a character when he learned his background and real name and then got his daughter back than, say, when he got his Ingram Supermach specialization up to a 9 from an 8.

There are things a GM and play can do to develop a character that have nothing to do with dice and karma. Were I in the right sort of game with a GM and other players I trusted, sure. I'd play in a campaign where I didn't earn karma.

I think we're settled that there are two types of advancement.
My point from earlier was that, in my experience, in the situations where the numerical character sheet advancement was removed, the overall quality of the character personality development and RPing improved. Again, in my experience, when the karma/experience is taken out of the game, people roleplay better, and their characters become more interesting.
My hypothesis was then that maybe this is because the karma/XP was a distraction. I don't know.
The problem is that those situations where the numerical character advancement was removed were all short-term situations.

What about a system where you get a fixed amount of karma no matter what you do? Wouldn't that be odd? For some people I would think it would completely remove their motivation to do anything. For other people, I don't think they'd even notice.
FrankTrollman
The default assumption in all role playing games is that whatever else you happen to be doing, you become a bigger and bigger badass over the course of the story. This has little relation to any kind of "reality" and is actually harmful to some kinds of stories. If Iron Man or The Flash become appreciably more bad ass they fall out of the eco-niche their character is designed for. If Bat Man becomes more awesome he risks losing the possibility of being threatened by The Scarecrow or Penguin.

Can you imagine what a shitty story it would be if shortly before the end Robin Hood had become so viscerally powerful that the Sherriff was no longer a danger to him? Can you honestly say that the Song of Roland would have been improved by having Roland advance to the point where he could simply brawl down all those Moors himself?

---

We are all used to advancing in RPGs. It's part of the legacy of Gygax. But there's no actual reason for this to happen. In the vast majority of source material, nothing even vaguely similar to RPG-style advancement occurs. In the trilogy format, characters have their effective numbers rise many times faster than any RPG would ever allow (example: characters in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Endlessness series go up about 5 D&D levels a book for the first three books - the main character seriously goes from running from individual orcs in the beginning to setting fire to entire armies of orcs with timefire in the third). And in virtually every other storytelling format ever, characters pretty much have whatever skill set they have at the end at the beginning (barring of course, those Kung Fu movies which include a training sequence montage).

The assumption of persistant gradual advancement between adventures is plain bizarre, and is one of those weird bags that Gygax has left on our doorstep which may or may not contain dog shit and fire.

Sam Verner doesn't get RPG style advancement. In the first book he's a 300 BP character. In the second book he's a 500 BP character, and in the third book he's an 800 BP character. And that's fine for a certain kind of storytelling. That's how the epic trilogy works. People don't get piddly amounts of Karma between adventures. They don't gradually increase their abilities. They start as clueless nobodies and very quickly assume the role of powerful bad asses who personally push the setting around.

And the people who don't get that kind of massive revlutionary advancement: people like Friar Tuck and Green Lantern - they usually don't advance at all.

-Frank
James McMurray
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
What about a system where you get a fixed amount of karma no matter what you do? Wouldn't that be odd? For some people I would think it would completely remove their motivation to do anything. For other people, I don't think they'd even notice.

I've heard of a lot of people that do that for other game systems. I don't think it would work for my group, but it seems to work for theirs.
Critias
I've been in games where you DO get a fixed amount of karma no matter what you do. No matter what stunts you'd pulled off, no matter how well you RPed (or how poorly everyone else did), no matter how cleverly you solved the problems set before you... flat rate of xp, across the board. Same amount to each player, see ya in two weeks.

It gets a little disheartening.
Solomon Greene
I've noticied a difference between systems as well. As I said, when we play SR, advancement is never a topic. But when the same group plays D&D, advancement is always a topic - everyone wants that next level, that next feat to move towards that prestige class. I believe that's because of the way D&D is made - it's a class and level system and you're meant to advance - really, it's the entire purpose of the system.

It's one of the reasons I can't stand class-and-level systems - the weight and importance they put on character ehnchancement and gaining power and the divisions they encourage between levelled characters and levelless characters.
eidolon
Agree. I can and have enjoyed games that advanced (in terms of K and $) very quickly, and games in which they advanced slowly. I could easily enjoy a game with no K and $ type advancement at all, given the right group.

But the constant 3 K no matter what type game just sucks the point out, somehow. If you're going to reward and advance, it needs to reflect character actions as far as I'm concerned. It comes down to what's motivating everyone.

In a no advancement game, one would have to assume that the story is its own reward, and own impetus for moving forward. In a game where you're being rewarded for your actions, that is the reward and impetus for moving forward. In a game where both the story and rewards are driving you forward, it's a no brainer.

But steady "same number" K just seems like you're actively telling the players "yeah, doesn't matter what you do".
Strobe
One of the things that pushes advancement in D&D (as far as I am concerned) is the monsters. If you played using the D&D system with only the humanoid races (say putting a cap at a +1 Level Adjustment) you suddenly have a very different game. The players have no idea how good they are going to be against their opponents. They can't say "Oh it's only a bunch of zombies/small elementals/trolls." as their humanoid opponents could be of any level with many different class combinations. Progression is pushed as if the PCs stayed at level 5 the whole campaign they would get bored from fighting the same monster or monster groups.

SR is a little different there as almost everything scales well to any power level due to the lack of levels for advancement. A 400BP character is not equal to a 400BP character mostly based on planning and information. The stats are less important in SR as they are in D&D which is why I think the no advancement/serial type game can work well. That sort of game in D&D really only works as a one-shot adventure.

One D&D game I played in at a convention was one of the best RP games I can remember. Since it was one-shot and everyone was given a pre-gen character with a little back story everyone concentrated on the RP more than their stats/powers/advancement and all the players said they had great fun afterwards.

The games I have the most fun in are heavy RP ones where character development (not always advancing) is the central part along with the story. Rewards are fun but short lived. You don't tell the story of how you got that wiz new rifle unless it was a good story. Not just oh I worked my contacts and picked it up.

Just my take there.

-Strobe
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I think we're settled that there are two types of advancement.

Oh dear. Because I'm about to add some others that don't translate into karma or nuyen, which some types of games might find highly relevant, and which might even impact directly on run planning and execution.

Network development.
Once in-game, contacts are no longer paid for with karma. Of course, your purpose in developing that network is entirely up to you. Closely tied to this is:

Influence development.
You probably start with a few contacts of a certain loyalty and connection. You probably don't have control over their level of connection, but you certainly can develop loyalty in these and in new contacts you may meet. Add a few key favours for or by some who don't quiite qualify as contacts, and "trading influence" suddenly takes on entirely new meanings.

Knowledge development.
How do you mark numerically on your character sheet that your character now knows what really happened during the original Echo Mirage? and why Dunkelzahn chose to support Damien Knight? Or that a specific private company is really a shell for some S-K middle management type, who has ambitions of his own? How do you quantitatively measure how well you know how to use that knowledge? At its tightest, this could be considered learning how some specific elements function; while at its broadest, you're learning about the world you're playing in.

Application development.
Same trick, same numbers -- but now you've learned to use it in entirely different ways.

Besides the obvious, there is one significant division between these: some fall on one side of that fence, some on the other. To illustrate, I'm going to borrow part of treehugger's opening post from another thread:
In the other games I ran, the campaign usually was part of a greater scheme, and so the players would meet important figures. ... Since shadowrun stories are usualy unconnected, at least at first sight, and do not involve recurent important NPCs (note the "usualy" there are exceptions i know), it is hard to give them this aspect in an SR game.

Where non-connection of runs is the standard style of playing, why would any form of development be needed which involves an ever greater awareness of the world around the PC (and the all-important how to manipulate it to one's own well-being)? After all, if the world does not have continuity -- not only of rules, but also of people and of relevance of actions and events -- what measuring stick exists?
Cain
The default assumption in all role playing games is that whatever else you happen to be doing, you become a bigger and bigger badass over the course of the story. This has little relation to any kind of "reality" and is actually harmful to some kinds of stories. If Iron Man or The Flash become appreciably more bad ass they fall out of the eco-niche their character is designed for. If Bat Man becomes more awesome he risks losing the possibility of being threatened by The Scarecrow or Penguin.

Can you imagine what a shitty story it would be if shortly before the end Robin Hood had become so viscerally powerful that the Sherriff was no longer a danger to him?

Ironically, all the examples you've given have grown more powerful over the course of their stories. Your straw man is that characters will inevitably become uber-characters, which isn't the case. Any properly designed progression will slow down advancement as a character grows.

Characters need to grow and develop, and we show this by changing numbers on their sheet. Okay, maybe if there's no character sheets, then you're okay: but even in games like Wushu, there's mechanisms for character changes.

Look at it this way: One thing the growth mechanic does is provide a power level for the GM to set as opposition. If there's no karma increase, then they can *never* take on the Big Villian at the end; the big villian will always be more powerful than they are, and they can't get stronger to take him on.

Without advancement, characters will be forced to take on the same level of challenge over and over again. The game will therefore stagnate, since the same challenges will start repeating themselves, over and over: "Who is it this week? Lone Star again? Didn't we do that three weeks ago?"
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Cain)
Without advancement, characters will be forced to take on the same level of challenge over and over again. The game will therefore stagnate, since the same challenges will start repeating themselves, over and over

Holy shit! We're facing humans again. Every single time we go on a run, the target is a corporation, a religious organization, a policlub, or some other group of humans. It's uncanny.

If it seems like I'm being openly contemptuous of your argument, it's because I am. If you can't figure out how to continue having five seasons worth of adventures for the A Team without ever becoming so powerful that you can graduate to fighting non-human space monsters it's because you're uncreative. If you can't figure out how to take the Impossible Mission Force through nine seasons of asskickery without ever facing opposition stronger than "humans" I don't even want to talk to you.

The really important thing here is that this is Shadowrun. No matter how much advancement you allow or don't allow, the characters will never become strong enough to take on complete corporate armies in open warfare. THOR shots don't even have stats. Similarly, the characters will be able to defeat even powerful enemies with planning for the same reason (THOR shots don't have stats, but Lofwyr does). Everything in the entire world is on an Earthly scale, and there really isn't anything you could potentially face and win that you need to be advanced beyond a starting character before it is possible for you to win.

Sure, it's possible for more powerful characters to take on enemies of more power with less planning and luck, but so what? That just means that the person behind the final desk makes less of an emotional impact when he dies.

---

Yes, in Fantasy Roleplaying there are manticores that have little signs on them that say "you must be at least this tall to fight the manticore". But in futuristic games that simply isn't true. Manticores may be bad ass. They may be better than you. But you can still sit on a hill that's a kilometer away with a high powered rifle and gun that manticore down. You don't need to be powerful, you just need to know where the manticore is going to be.

-Frank
Talia Invierno
Whatever happened to each group having its own style of gaming, and each style of gaming being acceptable as long as the group was having fun?
odinson
They all do, just everyone but one style is wrong. wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
If you can't figure out how to continue having five seasons worth of adventures for the A Team without ever becoming so powerful that you can graduate to fighting non-human space monsters it's because you're uncreative. If you can't figure out how to take the Impossible Mission Force through nine seasons of asskickery without ever facing opposition stronger than "humans" I don't even want to talk to you.

But all of those examples contain protagonists who either are already bad-ass enough not only in skill levels, but in range of skills and knowledges, or are subject to large-scale handwavium when it comes to the plotlines.

Maybe the question should be ... If your PC (or PC group) already possesses all the skills that he should for your ultimate vision of the character, basically at their peak, would you want to play in a game that contained no progression?

Personally, the one point that makes playing in a no-progression game unrealistic (or maybe unenjoyable) is that a character can't pick up a little knowledge (at least measurably), even if it would make sense for him to do so.

You can wave that away by saying that the GM (or maybe the group as a whole) can arbitrarily assign new skills/knowledges/spells/levels/etc, but then technically that isn't a no-progression game.
Crusher Bob
I dunno, I guess the fact that my current interests lie much more toward narrativist type games where "behold my awesome 'stache: 2d10" and "My bell-bottoms are so big you can find homeless people living in them: 3d10" will provide more help in resolving gunfights to your satisfaction than "I'm a crack shot: 1d8" and "My gun hand is steady, even with my guts hanging out: 2d8" effects my take on character advancement.
Talia Invierno
rotfl.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Oh my. Dogs in the Vineyard.
eidolon
I have heard great things about DotV, but the core subject matter doesn't appeal to me much.

Burning Wheel sounds very cool though.
Crusher Bob
If the setting of DitV dosen't appeal to you, how about Jedis on the Rim?
Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering; suffering leads to the dark side? biggrin.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Diskworld using that system would be fun, too.
Talia Invierno
Really, the game structure of DitV could be applied to any gameworld you please. It will shape the style of play: but if we've established one thing here, it's that Dumpshockers already have such divergent styles of play that sometimes it's difficult to see that we're all playing the same game wink.gif
Cain
If you can't figure out how to continue having five seasons worth of adventures for the A Team without ever becoming so powerful that you can graduate to fighting non-human space monsters it's because you're uncreative. If you can't figure out how to take the Impossible Mission Force through nine seasons of asskickery without ever facing opposition stronger than "humans" I don't even want to talk to you.

No, it's uncreative to forcibly stick your protagonists at a certain level, never improving. The A-Team got better over the course of the show. So did the IMF. It's uncreative to think that all advancement will inevitably lead to ubermench running around your game, and it's even more uncreative to not be able to adapt to a changing game.

The really important thing here is that this is Shadowrun. No matter how much advancement you allow or don't allow, the characters will never become strong enough to take on complete corporate armies in open warfare.

Exactly. Characters won't progress from Clark Kent to Superman. You can allow as much advancement as you like, thereby expanding and growing your game.

THOR shots don't even have stats.

You need stats to beat one, though. Like a single point of unburnt Edge. cool.gif

Similarly, the characters will be able to defeat even powerful enemies with planning for the same reason (THOR shots don't have stats, but Lofwyr does).

Since you seem to like TV and story tropes, let me give you one. Namely, the Big Bad beating the good guys about halfway through the story, only to be defeated by the improved protagonists at the end. They go through some sort of mental or physical or philosophical transformation that improves their ability to kick butt. Just look at Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars for examples. You know, the two classics of fantasy/sci fi fiction?

[Edited for excessive snarkiness]
mfb
the problem with non-improving characters is that they really can't develop. you can certainly alter some quirks, but ideally, major character developments should be mirrored by stat changes, because starts are how RPG characters interact with the world. if your character's SO gets killed by the BBEG, and you gain strength of character from the ordeal of overcoming your grief and defeating the BBEG, ideally your Willpower (or some similar stat) should go up. you can develop without stat changes--i'm certainly not claiming to have spent karma on Will increases every time one of my characters overcomes a major setback--but i think that eventually, the disconnect between your character's sheet and what your character has become will become quite wide.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
(THOR shots don't have stats, but Lofwyr does)

I'm pretty sure that he doesn't, being an Ultimate NPC and all.

My take on advancement is a bit different. It isn't about making more powerful characters because the characters will already be mix-maxed to heck from the beginning. It is about making your characters more balanced, because Killtron the cyborg assassin who knowns only the taste of death might get tired of hearing his bear metal feet clank against the tile floor and take a couple points of shoe-lace tying so that he can wear the Reeboks that the beautiful 20-something grad-student played by a young Tea Leoni bought for him as thank you present for shooting her abusive ex-boyfriend in the face.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012