Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: two weapons and recoil
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
l33tpenguin
Sometimes common sense > rules. Doubly so when people are defending those rules because they want to rape them for those extra dice.

While I understand your point of view, Doc, we are still talking about the rules of a game, regardless of whether or not they follow common sense. As the rules read, you add the bonus from specialization to the test, resulting in an advantage when using two weapons.

Even so, there are very few instances, though, when brandishing two weapons is actually BETTER than a single weapon. (Almost) no matter what, the player would be better off using just one weapon. They will get their full dice pool plus the specialization modifier.

Defending from a 'common sense" stand point doesn't hold ground. Common sense says that using a laser sight would provide a bonus (not to mention smart link) with two pistols. I've seen it done, it helps. Ammunition should cost 1/10th of the price it does. Pistols should be able to be modified with gas vent systems.

Common sense says a lot of things in Shadowrun should work differently than they do (wireless matrix, anyone?). Its not raping the rules, its playing by them.
Kyoto Kid
...one of the times two weapons is better is when using two SS revolvers and firing in alternating fashion. Of course it helps to have the ambidexterity quality to eliminate the off-hand penalty.
l33tpenguin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...one of the times two weapons is better is when using two SS revolvers and firing in alternating fashion. Of course it helps to have the ambidexterity quality to eliminate the off-hand penalty.

Even that is debatable, because if you were using a single revolver, you would get a bigger dice pool, unless you had a really low (sub 4) to begin with. Otherwise you end up with twice as many shots that are only slightly higher than half as likely to land. This is great for easy to hit baddies or to chew up someones defense pool, but up against anything substantial, you are just wasting overly expensive bullets
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 16 2007, 10:11 AM)
...one of the times two weapons is better is when using two SS revolvers and firing in alternating fashion.

That's a little different though, as you are not splitting your Pool in that situation.
Stinger
I'm not trying to "rape"" the rules at all. I'm trying to understand them so I can play by them correctly. If using two-guns wasn't part of my character concept, I wouldn't even be thinking about this, and I didn't bother looking it up until I decided to go with this character.

The two-hand thing is only viable because this dude has a high skill level. Even with the Specialization added to the test, it's not really so fantastic. Clearly, using one gun is better than using two. It'll be hard to resist just going with one gun like everyone else does, but I'll suck it up and take the dice pool split, because using two guns looks cool, and that's worth more to me than the effectiveness of using one gun.

mfb
QUOTE (l33tpenguin)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 15 2007, 07:11 PM)
...one of the times two weapons is better is when using two SS revolvers and firing in alternating fashion.  Of course it helps to have the ambidexterity quality to eliminate the off-hand penalty.

Even that is debatable, because if you were using a single revolver, you would get a bigger dice pool, unless you had a really low (sub 4) to begin with. Otherwise you end up with twice as many shots that are only slightly higher than half as likely to land. This is great for easy to hit baddies or to chew up someones defense pool, but up against anything substantial, you are just wasting overly expensive bullets

she's talking about firing them alternately, not simultaneously. one shot from each, rather than two.
l33tpenguin
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (l33tpenguin @ Aug 15 2007, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 15 2007, 07:11 PM)
...one of the times two weapons is better is when using two SS revolvers and firing in alternating fashion.  Of course it helps to have the ambidexterity quality to eliminate the off-hand penalty.

she's talking about firing them alternately, not simultaneously. one shot from each, rather than two.

Yeah, I caught that after my post nyahnyah.gif Basically using two weapons to double your ammunition capacity rather than your rate of fire
Ted Stewart
QUOTE (l33tpenguin)
Yeah, I caught that after my post Basically using two weapons to double your ammunition capacity rather than your rate of fire

Actually, it's both. The revolver is SS, not SA. A dual Warhawk character seems rather terrifying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012