Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
DTFarstar
One skill covers it all, it's called Throwing.

Chris
Zhan Shi
Mr. Boyle has told me that adepts can, in fact, have mentor spirits, albeit they don't provide any actual bonuses; it's just a role playing tool.
Ol' Scratch
Technically they can't have a "real" Mentor Spirit as the positive quality excludes Adepts. They can believe in one and say they have one, but so can any mundane.
Zhan Shi
That would mean that, for example, an adept who claimed to follow "Wise Warrior" who acted dishonorably, would not suffer the -1 modifier?
Ol' Scratch
Yup. Lots of people claim to follow Christianity and have God and/or Jesus as their "mentor spirit." Doesn't stop them from doing all kinds of un-Christian things.
BattleJester
One skill covers it all, it's called Throwing.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I somehow got myself thinking it was a Ranged Exotic Weapon...

New Questions:

Let's say I have the Attribute Boost Adept Power and I roll 4 hits. I have an Attribute of 6, so my max is 9. Now I understand that I would only have an Attribute of 9, but would my duration equal 6 turns or 8 turns and would I be resisting 3 or 4 drain?

Also, if I only had 2 levels in Attribute Boost, could I only Boost my Attribute by a maximum of two points or is Hits rolled an absolute?

If I have a starting attribute rating of 4, is my Augmented Maximum equal to 6?

Does anyone know if there's a table somewhere for the Linguistics Adept Power from SM?

Thanks for the help.
BattleJester
Technically they can't have a "real" Mentor Spirit as the positive quality excludes Adepts. They can believe in one and say they have one, but so can any mundane.

Well, the fact that Adepts can have Mentor Spirits is also backed up by the Berserk power from Street Magic.

And I quote: "Adepts or mystic adepts who also possess the berserker disadvantage from a mentor spirit will find this power triggers automatically when they become berserk."

I'm not saying I agree that Adepts should have Mentor Spirits, just that the rules back it up in this instance.

One way you could change things up so that it would make more sense that Adepts have Mentor Spirits is by giving them Powers from the Mentor Spirits. For instance, Bear could either give +2 dice to Health spells OR 2 levels of Rapid Healing. Instead of the normal bonuses of Dark King, he would give an Adept Astral Perception. Dog would give Improved Sense: Scent and 2 levels of Enhanced Perception. Etcetera, etcetera...

BTW, Rat is the perfect example of a Mentor Spirit an Adept could choose without modification.
Zhan Shi
Or one could just ignore the advantages/disadvantages which do not apply to adepts (+2 dice for detection spells, -2 dice for manipulation spells), while enforcing any that would (+2 dice for leadership tests, willpower(3) test to offer anything wothout compensation). Some would apply only if the adept had a specific power (+2 dice for assensing tests; in this case, the adept must have stral sight). That's the way I've played it up to this point.

page 45, Street Magic:

"...the shamanic adept...follows a totem spirit in a manner similar to a shaman."

"...such adepts perceive their totem...as an idealized model to emulate, something from which to draw power."

"Shamanic adepts try to embody the qualities and abilities of their totem...seeing this a path in itself."

"There are even those that have been known to exhibit shamanic mask when calling on their powers."

page 192, SR4:

"Members of any tradition may have mentor spirits, including adepts."

Doc Funk is correct, the positive quality does not include adepts. But given this info, not to mention the fact that the line developer says yes, I'm still inclined to think that adepts can have mentor spirits. Just IMO; ignore as you see fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012