Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MBT Stats for SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
WearzManySkins
Crusher Bob, how or if your are going to implement ATGM's that attack the top armor of the MBT? Like the FGM-172 SRAW, FGM-148 Javelin, and BILL 2 Anti-tank guided weapon.

How do non RHA's like the Chobham values technically called MMC or Metallic Matrix Composite, in the armor values?
Narmio
Wearz, that's easy.

The FGM-172 has a "172" in its name, so that's its AP value. The FGM-148 has less, so we'll use (-148) for that. The BILL-2 is screwed totally, with the AP of a heavy revolver, but that doesn't matter, because these rules are "based on the real world" and "consistent".

Internal Consistency != external consistency. Crusher Bob, when you can create an internally consistent system that makes sense by itself, but when compared to what it's supposed to be integrated with is an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE off, then you may have some generalisability problems.

[Edited for inconsistent spelling of consistent]
knasser

Okay CrusherBob, I get it now. You are completely overhauling the armour values for vehicles and then adjusting anti-vehicle weapons to account for this. But then in consequence, you have to adjust the rest of the firearms to the new scale, and personal armour also. Which then spills into Melee weapons also, I would guess. Dermal armour and orthoskin? You're also going to have to extrapolate onto spirits as they have Immunity to Normal Weapons that can get quite high. That Force 8 Earth Elemental monster can survive an anti-vehicle weapon.

It just sounds like a can of worms thats going to end up with a completely different rule set. When Arsenal comes out, I'm hoping we're going to get more big vehicles than we know what to do with.
Crusher Bob
Actually, there are not a whole lot of changes to the low end armor and weapons values. See the the other thread for sample values. The only real differences for small arms are increased penetration for rifles, and the only personal armor differences are for the heavy suits.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep spirits on the lowers scale. So that powerful spirits can resists HMG and possibly assault cannon fire, but nothing heavier than that. A spirit vs tank fight is going to be based on how good the tank's wards are, not whether the spirit can resist the tank's main gun.

As for a simple way to simulate top attack munitions, I'd try the following:

Against old tanks, use the rear armor values
against newer tanks, use the armor values of the sides
Against 'nextgen' tanks use the armor value for the front.

For things like composite armor and ERA, they get an RHA equivalent vs HEAT attacks. So the tank that has 600/300/100 vs KE attacks might have something like 1200/500/200 vs HEAT attacks.
dhyde79
ok, not having read all of the previous posts because, well, frankly, I don't want to read pages of posts suggesting how to modernize/realize the damage system of shadowrun.

I've got a few pointers for you, which were passed to me when I took over GM'ing:

1. You're the GM, Make your own calls (nobody else knows how you run your game or what you want to be able to let your players accomplish or not accomplish)

2. Tanks from different areas are less susceptible to different things. For example, The M1A2 will NOT drop from having ATGM's shot at it, it won't drop from main gun rounds from most other tanks being shot at it. That's been proven time and time again. HOWEVER....if you have a resourceful team....they can disable it (note, I didn't say KILL it, I said DISABLE) to the point where the people inside have to come out. (There are two universal points of action for dealing with tanks. Kill their mobility, and kill the engine. More often than not you have to do the first to get a clean shot at the second. If it's got tracks, it's as simple as blowing the track off or making it break. Most tanks (especially ones with turbine style engines) have considerably less armor over the back deck and the engine cover, shoot the engine.....no more generator for the batteries, now you're on a limited air supply, which decreases with every weapon fired (main gun and coaxial mounted guns WILL vent into the turret cabin and foul their air, no power means no air filtration)

3. If it has stats, they can kill it (don't really need to say anything else here)

4. You're the GM, Make your own calls (nobody else knows how you run your game or what you want to be able to let your players accomplish or not accomplish)
knasser

I guess in terms of killing the thing, the GM will have to watch out for player sneakiness. They will undoubtedly try things that no-one could actually pull off on a battlefield (but in this case it's just crashed through the wall of the building they're in). These will include but are not limited to: lobbing grenades down the main gun barrel, firing small arms fire down the main gun barrel, stuffing objects down the main gun barrel, trolls jumping on the tank and attempting to bend the main gun barrel. Any of the former options followed by attempting to trick the tank into firing the main gun barrel. Spirits materialising in the tank, spirits flying down the main gun barrel (esp. Fire spirits), spirits using Movement, Accident and appearing behind the tanks side guns and attempting to pull them off or damage them. Characters making called shots at any sensors to blind the tank, characters throwing things over the sensors, mages using high force direct combat spells to bypass armour, mages casting high force Chaos to disable it, mages casting Ice Sheet underneath it and then the entire party sliding it down a hill, casting Control Thoughts on NPCs and getting them to stand in front of the tanks guns.

And etcetera.
dhyde79
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
The problem with most scaling systems is that they break down at the boundary conditions. Exactly how much bigger/more heavily armored does a vehicle have to become to get the scale bonus? If a Stonewall doesn't qualify for the scaled up then what is the smallest vehicle that does? What happens when that vehicle shoots a stonewall?

the scaling system is simple....it's NAUTICAL DAMAGE....if it's not a seagoing vessel, it doesn't get nautical damage.

what happens to the stonewall when a nautical damage causing weapon hits it? very simple, glad you asked, there was this chart that said LN was 15 blocks of damage, MN was X blocks, SN was X blocks, and DN was 36 blocks of damage, keeping in mind, this was from SR3 when EVERYTHING had 10 blocks of damage. So....light railgun (does LN damage) shoots said tank.....if tank doesn't avoid damage, tank dies (kinda like reality, don't know too many vehicles that you can shoot with something that is big enough that it has to be mounted on a tank or on a ship to be able to compensate the recoil and not destroy the vehicle it's mounted on)

CrusherBob, the best thing I can suggest, is if you want to design your own system, design it, in fact, enjoy designing it, build your own game from the ground up. If people want to use it, they will, but, one of the appealing points of Shadowrun is game balance. There's no way a tricked out bow, or anyone, no matter how strong, could put a hole in an APC in reality, but, in your proposed system, it'll happen without a full rewrite.

That being said, please remember, Shadowrun is play tested for balance and playability, and SR4 is SUPPOSED to be pushing things back down to the street level and keeping things where the numbers are lower and more in perspective....remember, a 4 in any skill being professional.....that means your average PD officer should be a 3/4 and Secret Service/FBI/Military types should be 4/5. If you've got a pack of runners whose weapon skills are all 6's, I most sincerely hope that as a GM you're making it very hard on them as they'll be very easy to identify in a lot of things....I'm a diehard supporter of the skill ranking systems, and when running a game I tend to play up those things because it IS something that should become a signature of an individual. Think about it in every day life, you've got a group of friends, you know what their various high points and low points are, when something comes over the news, if it's something that one of your friends was capable of, what's the first thing that crosses your mind? (wow, that's something that Bob knows a bit about, I bet he could explain what happened better) Now picture that Bob isn't only your buddy who knows a bit about it but is skilled enough to train others in professional capacity about that action....he becomes more of a target, now give him a 6-7 skill and make him internationally known for his skill and he's instantly a questioning about his potential involvement or at least making him help track down the people involved.
Fortune
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Actually, there are not a whole lot of changes to the low end armor and weapons values.

Why make any, when all we want to do is add an MBT, which can easily be accomplished using the already existing rules?
Ol' Scratch
Not even a real MBT, but a heavy thunderbird. One that the runners in the scenario are likely not prepared to handle, of which to max out the armor at 22 will not only make it a serious threat but one that can still possibly be dealt with if they don't run out of AV missiles before they whittle it down.
Kyoto Kid
…the funny thing to all of this, for I beleive all Ferret825 wants is to have a tank show up as a shock element. Whether or not it takes AV or Naval damage to destroy is moot for I do not think that is what he is looking for. Basically he wants the runners to realise they are up to the necks in drek and that the owners of the research site mean business.

Oh, and to shoot at a helicopter your guns need AA capability (unless the chopper is on the ground in front of it). Most coaxial guns do not (with the exception of a dedicated ADV like the Rhurmetall Falkener). The mini turret on the Leopard has AA capability the main turret does not.

As to the rocket launchers, the Leopard has 2 banks of 4 tubes

Here's a quick & dirty conversion:

For armour, The Banshee in SRIII had Armour 18, The Leopard in SRIII had 40 (more than twice that of the LAV). In SR4 the Banshee's armour remains the same (though body is upped to 20 from 6) hence you could just leave the MBT's armour at 40. The SRIII body of the Leopard is 12, converting it to SR4 (using the Citymaster as the basis) would make it 38. Keep in mind this is not a support or light tank, this is the heaviest MBT on the market and it should be formidable when facing ground based troops.

The biggest threat to the tank is from magic. Powerbolt and Wrecker spells will have a tough time having much of an effect due to the object’s resistance but spirits are another matter. To keep Spirits from mucking with it, either have the body shell of the tank warded, or have it guarded by a spirit as suggested above. Unless the team's mage can see into the tank, Direct and Indirect combat spells are useless for there is no LOS to an individual inside (unless he performs Ritual targeting which of course needs more time than the runners would have in this situation).

The idea of a fully automated MBT is also a good option to defeat magic, but remember then it is prone to being hacked and commandeered by the runners. That could turn the whole scenario inside out.
kzt
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Nothing currently in the game can affect that. Nothing. Not even anti-vehicular missiles.

That's the point.

It's a massive combat vehicle, not a lightly armored car, which is what AV missiles are designed for.
Fortune
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 18 2007, 07:34 PM)
Nothing currently in the game can affect that.  Nothing.  Not even anti-vehicular missiles.

That's the point.

It's a massive combat vehicle, not a lightly armored car, which is what AV missiles are designed for.

Which is easily reflected with realistically-scaled numbers like Armor 28 or 30, instead of inane ratings in the 600s. It can also be done pretty easily without totally rewriting Shadowrun's entire armor, damage and penetration rules.
hyzmarca
Problems arise when we get into things like battleships and aircraft carriers and bunker-buster bombs.

kzt
You are trying to reflect the difference between an armored truck with an inch of armor and an AFV with a meter and a half of armor. You think a 10 point difference reflects this effectively? Why?
Kyoto Kid
...that is why I suggested just taking the armour value directly from SOTA63 and converting the body stat to SR4 based on the Citymaster. This gives a total resistance of 78 which equals 19 auto hits to shake down (or off) the damage (this is suggested in the on p. 158 under vehicle combat)

With a body of 38 that gives a condition monitor of 27 boxes of damage to fill until the vehicle is trashed.

Keep in mind, if a weapon's modified DV does not exceed the modified armour of the vehicle, it does no damage, zilch, nada.
dhyde79
QUOTE (kzt @ Aug 19 2007, 08:08 PM)
You are trying to reflect the difference between an armored truck with an inch of armor and an AFV with a meter and a half of armor.  You think a 10 point difference reflects this effectively?  Why?

uhm......please.....indulge me, find me a single AFV with almost 5' thick armor? I can't personally think of a single one (maybe battleships or things of that nature). If my military time in a tank unit serves my memory correctly, the body of the tanks we use in the states aren't even close to ONE foot thick, let alone nearly FIVE feet thick. (according to google.com's conversion calculator it says 1.5 meters = 4.92125984 feet)

the difference between an armored truck and an heavily armored VTOL doesn't necessarily matter... most armored trucks I've seen around here are thick enough it'd take a .50BMG HMG or more to penetrate them....and if the rumors about various APC's and the like are true, a .50BMG will punch holes in them too, and in some of the various MBT's internationally as well.

oh, and to answer the question, a 10 point difference is more than enough when that 10 points puts it well beyond the realm of what you can deal damage to it (even if only looking at it on averages) because of the way the damage system in SR4 works....

like everyone keeps trying to say.... if modified DV of weapon < modified armor of vehicle, weapon = useless

AV Rocket/Missile = 16P with AP of -6 (this means that so long as the armor of the vehicle is a 23 or more, AV missiles/rockets are useless against it without extra successes)

HMG (with APDS ammo) = 7P with AP of -7 (this means that if the armor is 15+ you're useless against it without a lot of successes)

Sniper Rifle (SM-4 with APDS) = 8P with AP -7 (again, 16+ armor and it'll need a few extra successes)

Assuming the armor value is a 25, and you rolled lucky and got 7 successes with that AV Rocket, so now you're at a 22P with -6 AP, so, that 25 becomes a 19, which soaks all but 3 points of damage, now you have a massive body to roll and only need 3 successes for the AV Rocket/Missile to have done absolutely NOTHING to it.

(please, someone correct me if my understanding of the damage system is flawed here, but, I'm pretty sure I'm spot on since it's more or less what everyone else has said here too)
kzt
Even a heavily armored truck doesn't plan to stop 12.7mm rounds. 7.62mm AP if you splurge.

Riot Control Truck specs

Typical top line MBT armor is equal to over a meter of steel vs HEAT rounds at current, and it has been steadily increasing. That's why AT warheads have also increased. The late 60's AT-3 had a warhead able to go through some 400mm of steel, while the modern AT-14 is claimed to be able to penetrate 1.2 meters.

Far as I know, nobody has managed to penetrate the frontal armor on an M1A1 or later, and people have tried.
dhyde79
QUOTE (kzt)

Far as I know, nobody has managed to penetrate the frontal armor on an M1A1 or later, and people have tried.

as far as I know, very few things have penetrated side armor either, the biggest killer of them is stuff from above.....

(iirc, in Desert Storm, the only M1 casualties were from friendly M1 fire, the ones that'd come under heavy fire from enemy tanks using Sabot ammo instead of HEAT ammo looked like porcupines with all of the rounds bristling from the hull and turret, with none penetrating)
WearzManySkins
Link here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chobham_armour

Read down the Effectiveness, a M1 penetration is sited in that paragraph.

We have lost M1's in Irag pretty much the Israelis have in the Sinai. Mostly due to very large IED's.

I would like to see a Challenger II versus a M1a1 combat, starting at 10k distance from each other.

Challenger have been lost by;
"In one encounter within the urban area a Challenger 2 came under attack from irregular forces with machine guns and rocket propelled grenades. The drivers sight was damaged and while attempting to back away under the commander's directions, the other sights were damaged and the tank threw its tracks entering a ditch. It was hit directly by eight rocket propelled grenades from close range and a MILAN anti-tank missile, and was under heavy small arms fire for hours. The crew survived remaining safe within the tank until the tank was recovered for repairs, the worst damage being to the sighting system. It was back in operation six hours later after the repairs. One Challenger 2 operating near Basra survived being hit by 70 RPGs in another incident.[5]

There have been only three Challenger 2s lost in combat:

* A friendly fire ("blue-on-blue") incident on 25 March 2003 in Basra in which one Challenger 2 mistakenly shot another, destroying the second tank and killing two crew members
* August 2006 - the driver of a Challenger 2, Trooper Sean Chance, lost three of his toes when an RPG-29 penetrated the frontal armour during an engagement in al-Amarah, Iraq.[6]
* April 6, 2007 - in Basra, Iraq, an IED shaped charge penetrated the underside of the tank, resulting in the driver losing a leg and causing minor injuries to another soldier. The BBC quotes a British MoD spokesman as saying Challenger 2 was:

M1a1
"The Abrams remained untested in combat until the Gulf War in 1991. A total of 1,848 M1A1s were deployed to Saudi Arabia. The M1A1 was superior to Iraq's Soviet-era T-55 and T-62 tanks, as well as Iraqi assembled Russian T-72s, and locally-produced copies (Asad Babil tank). The T-72s like most Soviet export designs lacked night vision systems and then-modern range finders, though they did have some night fighting tanks with older active infrared systems or floodlights — just not the latest starlight scopes and passive infrared scopes as on the Abrams. Only 23 M1A1s were taken out of service in the Gulf[2] and none of these losses resulted in crew deaths from Iraqi fire. Some others took minor combat damage, with little effect on their operational readiness. There were only 3 tank crew members wounded beyond doubt by enemy action.

The M1A1 was capable of making kills at ranges in excess of 2500 m. This range was crucial in combat against tanks of Soviet design in Desert Storm, as the effective range of the main gun in the Soviet/Iraqi tanks was less than 2000 meters (Iraqi tanks could not fire Anti-Tank missiles like their Russian counterparts). This meant Abrams tanks could hit Iraqi tanks before the enemy got in range - a decisive advantage in this kind of combat. In friendly fire incidents the front armor and fore side turret armor survived direct APFSDS hits from other M1A1s. This was not the case for the side armor of the hull and the rear armor of the turret, as both areas were penetrated at least in two occasions by friendly DU ammunition during the Battle of Norfolk.

Nearly all sources claim that no Abrams tank has ever been destroyed as a result of fire from an enemy tank, but some have certainly taken some damage which required extensive repair. There is at least one account, reported in the following Gulf War's US Official Assessment (scan), of an Abrams being damaged by three kinetic energy piercing rounds. The DoD report indicates that witnesses in the field claimed it was hit by a T-72 Asad Babil. The KE rounds were unable to fully penetrate and stuck in the armor, but the damage was enough to send the tank to a maintenance depot. This is the only verified case of an M1A1 knocked out by an Iraqi MBT.

Presumably the impacts set the storage boxes on fire. The tests at the impact point indicate the sabot shells were conventional, since no radiological trace was found there.

On the night of February 26, 1991, four Abrams were disabled in a suspected friendly fire incident by Hellfire missiles fired from AH-64 Apache attack helicopters, with the result of some crew members WIA.[5] The tanks were part of TF 1-37,[6] attacking a large section of Tawakalna Republican Guard Division, their numbers being B-23, C-12, D-24 and C-66. However, C-12 was definitively hit and penetrated by a friendly DU shot and there is some evidence that another Iraqi T-72 may have scored a single hit on B-23, besides the alleged Hellfire strike (see Iraqi T-72 article).

Tanks D-24 and C-66 took some casualties as well Only B-23 became a permanent loss. The DoD's damage assessments state that B-23 was the only M1 with signs of a Hellfire missile found nearby.

Also during Operation Desert Storm, three Abrams of the 24 ID were left behind the enemy lines after a swift attack on Talil airfield, south of Nasiriyah, on February 27. One of them was hit by enemy fire, the two other embedded in mud. The tanks were destroyed by US forces in order to prevent any trophy-claim by the Iraqi Army.

During the major combat operations in Iraq, Abrams crew members were lost when one tank of the US Army's 3rd Infantry Division, and US Marine Corps troops, drove onto a bridge. The bridge failed, dropping the tank into the Euphrates River, where four Marines drowned.

A destroyed USMC M1A1 Abrams rests in front of a Fedayeen camp just outside of Jaman Al Juburi, Iraq on April 6, 2003.

During an early attack on Baghdad, one M1A1 was disabled by a recoilless rifle round that had penetrated the rear engine housing, and punctured a hole in the right rear fuel cell, causing fuel to leak onto the hot turbine engine. After repeated attempts to extinguish the fire, the decision was made to destroy or remove any sensitive equipment. Oil and .50 caliber rounds were scattered in the interior, the ammunition doors were opened and several thermite grenades ignited inside. Another M1 then fired a HEAT round in order to ensure the destruction of the disabled tank. The tank was completely disabled but still intact. Later, an AGM-65 Maverick was fired into the tank to finish its destruction. Remarkably, the tank still appeared to be intact from the exterior.

On November 27, 2004 an Abrams tank was badly damaged from the detonation of an extremely powerful improvised explosive device (IED). The IED consisted of three M109A6 155 mm shells, with a total explosive weight of 34.5 kg, that detonated next to the tank. The tank's driver received lethal injuries from shrapnel. The other three crew members were able to escape.

On December 25, 2005 another M1A2 was disabled by an explosively formed penetrator IED. The IED penetrated through a road wheel, and hit the fuel tank, which left the tank burning near central Baghdad. One crew member, Spc. Sergio Gudino, died in the attack.

On June 4, 2006 two out of four soldiers died in Baghdad, Iraq, when an IED detonated near their M1A2.

Some were disabled by Iraqi infantrymen in ambushes employing short-range antitank rockets, such as the Russian RPG-7, during the 2003 invasion. Frequently the rockets were fired at the tank tracks. Another was put out of action in an incident when fuel stowed in an external rack was struck by heavy machine gun rounds. This started a fire that spread to the engine.

There have also been a number of Abrams crewmen killed by sniper fire during times when they were exposed through the turret hatches of their tanks. Some of these attacks were filmed by insurgents for propaganda purposes and spread via the Internet. One of these videos shows a large IED detonating beneath an Abrams and nearly flipping the vehicle, though the tank landed back on its treads and appeared to have suffered no serious damage as it was still mobile and traversing the turret following the attack, a testament to the Abrams' survivability.
toturi
QUOTE (dhyde79 @ Aug 20 2007, 12:57 AM)
That being said, please remember, Shadowrun is play tested for balance and playability, and SR4 is SUPPOSED to be pushing things back down to the street level and keeping things where the numbers are lower and more in perspective....remember, a 4 in any skill being professional.....that means your average PD officer should be a 3/4 and Secret Service/FBI/Military types should be 4/5.  If you've got a pack of runners whose weapon skills are all 6's, I most sincerely hope that as a GM you're making it very hard on them as they'll be very easy to identify in a lot of things....I'm a diehard supporter of the skill ranking systems, and when running a game I tend to play up those things because it IS something that should become a signature of an individual.  Think about it in every day life, you've got a group of friends, you know what their various high points and low points are, when something comes over the news, if it's something that one of your friends was capable of, what's the first thing that crosses your mind? (wow, that's something that Bob knows a bit about, I bet he could explain what happened better)  Now picture that Bob isn't only your buddy who knows a bit about it but is skilled enough to train others in professional capacity about that action....he becomes more of a target, now give him a 6-7 skill and make him internationally known for his skill and he's instantly a questioning about his potential involvement or at least making him help track down the people involved.

Your capabilities are primarily linked to 2 factors - Attribute and Skill. Even with world classed skill (7), but if you have only Attribute 1, you are still not going to be able to accomplish a 4+ Threshold task with any certainty. And if someone with high Edge and Attribute but low Skill comes along...

Even if the cops were able to hit their Thresholds to determine the level of Skill required for whatever crime that was committed, they'd have to hit the Threshold to determine who is likely to be responsible for the crime based on the Skill level only, so sure, play these things, but don't forget, based on your style, you'd be encouraging a certain style of play.
Bira
Complaining Shadowrun doesn't have "proper" stats for tanks, battleships and bunker-buster bombs is like complaining your mountain bike can't take you to outer space - the game wasn't made for that sort of scale.

If you want to play something where all this stuff features regularly and is balanced with each other, you're better off with some sort of modern or SF strategy game. I think Classic Battletech included rules for thanks somewhere, for example.

Heck, you can make up your own strategy game - it'll still be better than trying to strap booster rockets to that mountain bike.
kzt
QUOTE (Bira)
the game wasn't made for that sort of scale.

I think you are making the assumption that any significant part of the game is well thought out. . . .

It works (usually), and it's fun, but often there are lots better approaches to doing stuff without, for example, sinking 5000 square miles of hilly terrain under the Pacific.

And I'm unconvinced that the developers unwillingness to effectively playtest the rules means I have to follow them as written when they only sort-of half-assed work or are internally contradictory.
dhyde79
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)

We have lost M1's in Irag pretty much the Israelis have in the Sinai. Mostly due to very large IED's.

that was actually my point, the large IED's that we've lost the M1's to are usually strapped to the underside of overpasses and stuff like that where it's able to penetrate the top armor where it's not as thick....out of the 2 trips I made attached to armor battalions we had the tanks hit by RPG's and lit up by stuff like that and none of them so much as scratched them (broke track on one from a lucky RPG hit that glanced off of one of the track skirts) unless the round hit the top of the tank.

I'm not saying they're indestructible, but, compared to most of the tanks they've been put in combat against each other with.....it hasn't been pretty.....
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Bira)
Complaining Shadowrun doesn't have "proper" stats for tanks, battleships and bunker-buster bombs is like complaining your mountain bike can't take you to outer space - the game wasn't made for that sort of scale.

If you want to play something where all this stuff features regularly and is balanced with each other, you're better off with some sort of modern or SF strategy game. I think Classic Battletech included rules for thanks somewhere, for example.

Heck, you can make up your own strategy game - it'll still be better than trying to strap booster rockets to that mountain bike.

Shadowrunners are likely to run into this level of opposition in certain circumstances, such as mercenary work and runs against military bases. The inclusion of these things is necessary for completeness, but it is not necessary for basic play. THis is why rules for this scale were not included in the basic book, but are likely to be included in a future supplement, such as Arsenal.
Crusher Bob
To recap:

------------

1 Tanks, bunker busting bombs, ATGMs, all all that other stuff exist in the world of SR.

2 The rules necessary to model these things should not cause breakdowns on the normal scale of SR (which normally would top out around cash-transport type armored cars).

3 While SR is not a wargame, the SR rules for tanks, etc should, at least, not be embarrassing.

4 There are a whole host of wargames devoted to modeling this sort of stuff.

5 Ideally, the rules for SR should allow an easy interface with these wargames, so that the stats can simply be ported into SR.

--------------

So, what basic changes are needed to switch to my system?

1 When dealing with vehicular armor, the assumption is that one point of vehicular armor ~= 1mm RHA

2 Rifles lose 1 point of damage and gain 4 points of AP value. (Example: AR goes from 6(-1) to 5(-5)) (this brings RHA penetration of rifles into the right general neighborhood).

3 The HMG does 8(-12) (assumes 50 BMG), assault cannon 9(-27) (assumes 25mm HEDP)

4 Other anti-tank weapons as provided by google/your favorite wargame.
4a For weapons with RHA penetration in excess of 100mm, damage is 1/10th the total penetration, the other 90% is AP value. For example, the M72 LAW penetrates around 350mm RHA. This gives it a SR damage value of 35(-315).
4b For weapons with less penetration, around 25% for the penetration being damage seems to work.
4c Weapons that do are not specifically gears toward armor penetration but still have some ability to penetrate armor should have a higher proportion of damage to AP value. For example, 155mm artillery firing HE over open sights might penetrate around 50mm RHA and giving it a damage rating of 50(-0) might work out.

Anyone have a better rule of thumb for the distribution of damage vs AP values?

5 Body values for heavy vehicles will take some seat of the pants estimates. For APCs/IFVs values of 10-24 seem to work. For light tanks 25-45, for heavier tanks 45 on up, with most MBTs having around 60 body.

Some other minor rules tweaks are helpful (slight shift in heavy armor suit values, for example), but that is the core of it.

WearzManySkins
QUOTE (dhyde79)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Aug 19 2007, 09:42 PM)

that was actually my point, the large IED's that we've lost the M1's to are usually strapped to the underside of overpasses and stuff like that where it's able to penetrate the top armor where it's not as thick....out of the 2 trips I made attached to armor battalions we had the tanks hit by RPG's and lit up by stuff like that and none of them so much as scratched them (broke track on one from a lucky RPG hit that glanced off of one of the track skirts) unless the round hit the top of the tank.

I'm not saying they're indestructible, but, compared to most of the tanks they've been put in combat against each other with.....it hasn't been pretty.....

What is ongoing in Irak is not a good determination of the value of 1st line MBT like the Abrams, Challenger II, Le Clerc, Leopards etc. Pretty much what the MBT forces in Irak were up against was and is at best 2nd tier MBT's but most are 3rd or lower tier MBT's.

Interesting note from my post above, a Abrams can take out a Abrams and the same can be said for the Challenger II's.

IMHO we need to get our MBT's out of Irak, there is no enemy armor for them to go up against.

But to me, we have vehicles designed for the wrong kind of warfare over there. But that is a common US Military vehicle issue/practice.

One lesson learned during WWII was that mass production can kick superior design any day of the week, an example is the Sherman versus the Tiger.

For Shadowrun, most of what we have in the main book is fine for lightly armored vehicles like the City Master etc. But when you get to the main battle tanks, light etc, the current weapons and or scale do not work.

Go for it Crusher Bob
dhyde79
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)

4 There are a whole host of wargames devoted to modeling this sort of stuff.

5 Ideally, the rules for SR should allow an easy interface with these wargames, so that the stats can simply be ported into SR.

4: yes, yes there are hosts of wargames, if you want to play a wargame, play it instead of converting Shadowrun into one...

5: why on earth should ANY RPG allow "easy interface" with ANY WARGAME game unless it's a RPG based on the Wargame......Mechwarrior & Battletech, ok, I'll agree, those two are sides of the same coin (for the most part) and as such should agree with each other....

Shadowrun is NOT a wargame nor based from one, therefore, it should NOT easily interface with ANY wargame.
dhyde79
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
For Shadowrun, most of what we have in the main book is fine for lightly armored vehicles like the City Master etc. But when you get to the main battle tanks, light etc, the current weapons and or scale do not work.

the point that's being ignored here, is that shadowrun isn't being designed to be run at a "oh, lets see what we can do to take out a Grade A MBT" or any other high powered level, that's why they put in the skill caps, the 1@6 or 2@5 rule, and things like that, shadowrun started out as a street level thing, they're trying to get it back there for the most part.

Also, as I said earlier, the scale DOES work, because we're both agreeing that an ATGM isn't going to put a scratch in a quality MBT, and that in SR, things of the like can't do so. As far as needing stats for MBT grade weapons, when is a PC going to be FIRING one of them? IF by some streak of luck, a PC were to happen to end up inside one of these tanks, how're they going to know how to go about loading them, using their targeting systems, and firing them?
Ol' Scratch
Actually, the real point of this thread is to create stats for a heavy thunderbird that will take some work to take down by a group of runners. Not an invincible super Deus ex Machina that even a converted-from-3rd-Edition Tactical Nuke would have no chance in hell of stopping.
Fortune
QUOTE (dhyde79)
IF by some streak of luck, a PC were to happen to end up inside one of these tanks, how're they going to know how to go about loading them, using their targeting systems, and firing them?

Edge! wink.gif
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (dhyde79 @ Aug 20 2007, 01:56 PM)

Shadowrun is NOT a wargame nor based from one, therefore, it should NOT easily interface with ANY wargame.
--------

In another post:

IF by some streak of luck, a PC were to happen to end up inside one of these tanks, how're they going to know how to go about loading them, using their targeting systems, and firing them?

So that the game developer don't need to spend a whole lot of time sorting out exactly how much damage an ATGM does or how thick a tanks armor should be. I'd much rather have the SR developers spend time sorting out various fixes to the wireless matrix that spend time playtesting rules for MBT combat. But without published stats, how should a GM stat up tanks that make sense? If the SR rules are tweaked to provide and easy interface to wargames then any wargame like material (such at tank stats) can be imported almost directly. These rules I've presented are less than a page long, but they let you stat up just about any armored vehicle that you can find out about via google or find in a wargame somewhere, as long as the values are given in terms of RHA, which is, whatdoyou know? a typical wargame standard.

I'm not saying that you should go out and fight tanks in SR. I'm saying that the presented house rules let you model just about any sort of armored vehicle without a whole lot of extra work.

-------------------------

They, may have served in the armed forces. They may have spent time as a irregular fighter that had access to tanks. They have have been a merc. They may have played a lot of virtual tank. They may have slotted that 'tank operation' skill soft. They may have spent edge to get lucky and push the right buttons. The tank might be made by Microsoft and have a friendly paperclip that says, "It looks like you want to fire the main gun".

[edit]
is multiple quotes borked?
well rolling both quotes into a single quote box seems to fix the problem
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 20 2007, 02:07 PM)
Actually, the real point of this thread is to create stats for a heavy thunderbird that will take some work to take down by a group of runners.  Not an invincible super Deus ex Machina that even a converted-from-3rd-Edition Tactical Nuke would have no chance in hell of stopping.

The rules include rules for stating out anti-tank weapons as well. So how does it make them invincible?

If we use my originally suggested stats for the stonewall of:

Body 36
armor vs KE 250/125/60 (front/sides/rear)
Armor vs HEAT 500/200/100 (front/sides/rear)

Main gun: 60 (-540) (within 1000 meters, anyway)
Co-ax MMG
(can't have exterior crew operated weapons since the tank goes too fast)

And shoot at it with light ATGMs that do 50(-450) it will be killed just fine.

[edit]
It is immune to HMG fire 8(-12) and autocannon fire 15(-45) from all aspects. It resists old style LAWS and ATGMs 35(-315) from the front but can be killed by a hit from one from the side or rear.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (dhyde79)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Aug 20 2007, 12:55 AM)

the point that's being ignored here, is that shadowrun isn't being designed to be run at a "oh, lets see what we can do to take out a Grade A MBT" or any other high powered level, that's why they put in the skill caps, the 1@6 or 2@5 rule, and things like that, shadowrun started out as a street level thing, they're trying to get it back there for the most part.

Also, as I said earlier, the scale DOES work, because we're both agreeing that an ATGM isn't going to put a scratch in a quality MBT, and that in SR, things of the like can't do so. As far as needing stats for MBT grade weapons, when is a PC going to be FIRING one of them? IF by some streak of luck, a PC were to happen to end up inside one of these tanks, how're they going to know how to go about loading them, using their targeting systems, and firing them?

Tanks are perfectly stree-level when there are tanks in the streets. The Sixth World has plenty of unstable police states where this is the case.

Man Portable weapons are unlikely to defeat a tank without a called shot to bypass armor (short of a Davey Crockett). But there are weapons that are not man portable and such called shots are possible.

Remotely rigged tanks are vulnerable to spoofing and sprites

It isn't about the PCs shooting at stuff. It is about NPCs shooting at the PCs, for the most part. Of course, spirits materializing in the tank and engulfing the crew, followed by a group of bound task and guardian spirits with the proper skills taking over the crew's duties is a possibility if there is a mage on the team.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Man Portable weapons are unlikely to defeat a tank without a called shot to bypass armor (short of a Davey Crockett). But there are weapons that are not man portable and such called shots are possible.

Um, there are a whole host of man portable weapons designed to kill tanks. Both LAWs and man-portable ATGMs generally do the job just fine.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Um, there are a whole host of man portable weapons designed to kill tanks. Both LAWs and man-portable ATGMs generally do the job just fine.

According to your weird rules, neither of those (and both exist in the game currently) would work. Not even close. Thanks for proving everyone's point for us.
Crusher Bob
Assuming we are talking about man-portable ATGMs vs tanks:

A top-attack ATGM like the US Javelin penetrates 'in excess of 600mm RHA' so we'll give it a damage of 60(-540) HEAT

Against a MBT:
Body 60 (condition monitor 38 boxes)
600/300/100 vs KE
1000/500/200 vs HEAT

The javelin attacks the weaker top armor of the MBT, and we'll assume that this is a current MBT, so we'll say that the top armor is the same as the side armor.

So we are looking at:

armor 500 body 60 vs 60(-540)
The armor is penetrated. 60 dice of armor are left over, giving the tank a total of 120 dice of soak. the tank gets 40 hits to soak and takes 20 points of damage. Thus, it takes around 2 Javelins to take out the tank.

If we assume that the javelin penetrates closer to 750mm RHA (it might) then its damage would look like: 75(-675).
And we'd have the following:
armor 500 body 60 vs 75(-675)
The tank gets 60 dice to soak, giving 20 hits. The tank takes 45 hits and is killed by a single Javelin.

[edit]
If we want to use an ATGM that dosen't have top attack capability we'll try the 9M133 Kornet. It penetrates around 1200mm of RHA, giving it a damage of, say, 90(-1110) HEAT (penetration is over 1000mm RHA so 10% rule thumb will probably need changing. Will try 7.5%.

Hitting the tank on the front:
armor 1000 body 60 vs damage 90(-1110)
tank gets 60 dice to soak, gets 20 hits. Takes 70 damage and is toast.

Is the tank was 1200mm vs HEAT on the front the it would look like:
armor 1200 body 60 vs damage 90(-1110)
armor is penetrated 90 armor is left over for soak
Tank gets 150 dice to soak, gets 50 hits, takes 40 damage.

[yet another edit]
The AT4 LAW is rated for 500+mm RHA, which means you'll need two hits to kill it from the bank (each hit doing around 30 damage), and you'll need around 3 hits from the top or side to kill the tank (each hit doing around 13.33 damage).
If we assume that the AT4 penetrates closer to 600mm RHA, then it becomes 1 hit to the back kills and 2 hits to the side.

The M72 LAW (350mm RHA) can only threaten the tank from behind, and even then you need three hits to stop the tank. Of course, the M72 has been discontinued because it didn't provide adequate power against modern tanks...
Ol' Scratch
Nope. Talking about the Aztechnology Striker, Shadowrun's version of a LAW. The one that shoots AV missiles that do 16P damage with a -6 AP bonus again vehicles. Not convulted-overcomplicated-makes-no-sense-whateverso-rules-of-utter-ridiculousnessville. Yeah, that one. The one you just said can take down a tank just fine.
knasser

Just a thought to add on the automated tank area of the discussion, I think that's viable and you could IC the thing until it's blue, but putting a single crewman in would make sense. Tanks need multiple crew at present because they can't do things for themselves and their complex to drive (I imagine). A single, hot-simming rigger could probably manage most of the tank and use autosofts to supplement that would be quite as good as almost any metahuman. But what's most interesting is that with 2070 technology, he doesn't have to be awake and sitting in a comfortable chair. He can go into full VR for the duration and they can just slide his comatose body into the coffin-like compartment. It would be a claustrophobes nightmare except that in his mind, he is a tank that can roll anywhere and over anything. This even prevents spirits from manifesting in the compartment as there wouldn't be room.

Dwarves would make the ideal pilots because you can squeeze them into even smaller spaces and their willpower is an asset. Proper, state of the art medical equipment could actually keep the body healthy and functioning for weeks or more. I imagine these tank pilots would be easily distinguishable by their poor muscle tone, sickly complexions and tendancy to hold their arm out in front of them like a main gun when they're not concentrating.

Actually, given the long immersion time, it would be plenty of time for unnoticed conditions to become manifest. I have this vision of a dwarf with very early stage HMVV being unwittingly put in his tank and having it develop whilst inside. The poor dwarf wouldn't even know, but in the meantime, you've got a flesh-hungry Goblin Tank out for blood! biggrin.gif Woo! Yeah!
Crusher Bob
And my Grand Dragon only does 8m5 (or whatever it did the the original SSC) rotate.gif

All heavy weapons are re-written by the new rules, and you complain that a weapons under the old rules doesn't work anymore?
streetangelj
Finally a post in this thread that's truly fitting to the setting of SR. YOU ROCK KNASSER!
Crusher Bob
Part of the reason that tank crews haven't really shrunk is

1 the need for the crew to preform maintenance on the tank. I'd assume that SR tanks carry some number of drones designed to do things like change the tracks and so on, so this is not too big of a problem.

2 Stand watch.
1 guy can't stay alert all the time, he needs time to sleep. also, the tank still needs to remain combat effective if one of the crew gets sick, or cuts his throat shaving, or some other miss-adventure.

[edit]
Putting a vat grown brain into the tank and having a spirit posses the brain might get you some result too. Then you can have a collection of 'tanks gone wrong' somewhere. For example, the dumb one that follows you around, asking to be told a story.

Of a bug hive infiltrates the tank possession factory and a bit later a bunch of tanks with wasp wings come rumbling out...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (knasser)
Just a thought to add on the automated tank area of the discussion, I think that's viable and you could IC the thing until it's blue, but putting a single crewman in would make sense. Tanks need multiple crew at present because they can't do things for themselves and their complex to drive (I imagine). A single, hot-simming rigger could probably manage most of the tank and use autosofts to supplement that would be quite as good as almost any metahuman. But what's most interesting is that with 2070 technology, he doesn't have to be awake and sitting in a comfortable chair. He can go into full VR for the duration and they can just slide his comatose body into the coffin-like compartment. It would be a claustrophobes nightmare except that in his mind, he is a tank that can roll anywhere and over anything. This even prevents spirits from manifesting in the compartment as there wouldn't be room.

Dwarves would make the ideal pilots because you can squeeze them into even smaller spaces and their willpower is an asset. Proper, state of the art medical equipment could actually keep the body healthy and functioning for weeks or more. I imagine these tank pilots would be easily distinguishable by their poor muscle tone, sickly complexions and tendancy to hold their arm out in front of them like a main gun when they're not concentrating.

Actually, given the long immersion time, it would be plenty of time for unnoticed conditions to become manifest. I have this vision of a dwarf with very early stage HMVV being unwittingly put in his tank and having it develop whilst inside. The poor dwarf wouldn't even know, but in the meantime, you've got a flesh-hungry Goblin Tank out for blood! biggrin.gif Woo! Yeah!

How about a hybrid merge between a rail-gun equipped tank and a humanoid ally spirit called G2 Megatron?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Aug 20 2007, 01:11 AM)
And my Grand Dragon only does 8m5 (or whatever it did the the original SSC)  rotate.gif

All heavy weapons are re-written by the new rules, and you complain that a weapons under the old rules doesn't work anymore?

Nope! Just pointing out that new rules weren't needed because a LAW does, in fact, already exist under the current rules. You just refuse to acknowledge it in support of your (to be honest, completely feeble) attempt to support your rewrite of the entire game system in another thread. As opposed to really helping the original poster with his intended conundrum.

Which, again, is handled really easily by taking a GMC Banshee, giving it 2-3 more points of armor, throwing on a missile launcher, and calling it a day.
Crusher Bob
But the problem with the current system is that there is no range of armor available for the system to simulate. The stonewall is obviously not the most heavily armored thing in the SR world, since it flies. But it has to have more armor that a citymaster, since the stonewall is supposed to be kinda tank -like. But we can give the stonewall only armor 22 (or maybe 24) at the max without making all the published anti-tank weapons useless! Any what if we want to have a stonewall vs a ground based tank with 'heavier armor'? How much armor should the ground based tank have? Then, why can't my weapons (the ATGM) designed to kill tanks actually do anything against the ground based tank, that has armor heavier than the stonewall?

If we assume that the ground based tank should have armor 30, then should the real stats of the ATGM be something like 24(-8)?

And then, if I'm going to have to change all the stats, I might as well use a system that is robust.
hyzmarca
The SR4 BBB does not have stats for anti-tank weapons. The anti-vehicles warheads listed are pretty much for taking out regular cars and lightly armored vehicles, not tanks. There are no stats to change.
kzt
Which is why it's called an AV round, not an Anti-tank or anti-armor round.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The SR4 BBB does not have stats for anti-tank weapons. The anti-vehicles warheads listed are pretty much for taking out regular cars and lightly armored vehicles, not tanks. There are no stats to change.

Erm, why would any such 'light' weapons be made? Any anti-vehicular weapon is almost certainly going to be made for a military purpose, which means that it will be made to take out light armored vehicles at a very minimum (citymaster equivalent).

A weapon designed for a police purpose is not likely interested into blowing the target to bits, you'll get things like zapstrips and capacitor rockets that attack the vehicles electrical system (and don't kill everyone on board).
Ophis
The Striker is a light SAM, it's for taking out light planes and helicopter.

I expect to see AT missile having stats in th 20-25(-6 to -12) area.

The stonewall is supposed to be way tougher than a Banshee (which is a light scout vehicle) RBB suggests it's one of the tougher tanks around.

I'd give it about 30 body and armour (so 23 condition moniter). I wouldn't throw it a t a team. I'd use it as an IC "Don't use the front door" plot hammer... If I was sending a tank against Shadowrunners I'd use a lighter tank maybe in the 20 body 25 armour range So good shots (4+ net hits) on it from missiles statted dent it a bit and make the runners work at some tactics to deal with it.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Aug 20 2007, 05:18 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 20 2007, 03:41 PM)
The SR4 BBB does not have stats for anti-tank weapons.  The anti-vehicles warheads listed are pretty much for taking out regular cars and lightly armored vehicles, not tanks. There are no stats to change.

Erm, why would any such 'light' weapons be made? Any anti-vehicular weapon is almost certainly going to be made for a military purpose, which means that it will be made to take out light armored vehicles at a very minimum (citymaster equivalent).

A weapon designed for a police purpose is not likely interested into blowing the target to bits, you'll get things like zapstrips and capacitor rockets that attack the vehicles electrical system (and don't kill everyone on board).

Humvees are far more common than tanks, friend. Lightly armored vehciles are far more common than heavily armored vehicles, even in war zones.

However, I must disagree with the assertion that the police don't want to blow stuff up.

There are three things that are required to be a good cop. They are, in reverse order of importance:

3)Witty Banter
2)Insane Risks
1)Blowing Stuff Up

A cop with the ability to banter skillfully and an eagerness to take insane risks is almost a good cop, but not quite. He still has to blow a some stuff up. The more stuff he blows up, the better a cop he is. The skill and worth of a cop is directly proportional to the amount of property that he does blow up.

There is, of course, a bonus requirement 0) taking off his shirt and killing a corrupt ex-special forces guy in unarmed combat. But, not everyone can do that. Everyone can, however, blow stuff up.

Zap strips can be defeated with insulation armor modifications. More importantly,they can disrupt cybernetic medical implants, such as pacemakers and artificial hearts. Rocket launchers are both a safer and a more effective means is disabling vehicles in comparison to electrical devices.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 20 2007, 02:41 AM)
The SR4 BBB does not have stats for anti-tank weapons.  The anti-vehicles warheads listed are pretty much for taking out regular cars and lightly armored vehicles, not tanks. There are no stats to change.

People don't use things that have *warheads* to take out cars. You shoot it with a *gun* and that is quite sufficient.

If we upgrade to military combat, there is a limit to the junk a soldier can carry around. Because of limited space issues military just take the anti tank edition, and if thats total overkill for shooting an APC, well, overkill it is. Some have high explosive warheads for shooting at buildings.

Stuff like the RPG has been re-purposed, but that is because its like 46 years old. Other similar systems - liek the AT4 which would look argueably similar to the unguided missle in the book is super old as well.

If you wanted a fair comparison, we'd look at a javelin (which is really about as advanced as a SR4 guided missile, a separate issue) What it does is blow up tanks, and thats about it really.

All that said, I agree with your fundamental points that the damage value is a bit out of wack. A javelin missile is what, 10? kilos? More? and if two kg of that was rating 15 HE, it would be more effective than the missile in the book. Maybe the stuff in the book is super dated tech that the runners can get their hands on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012