Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zurich Orbital Falling
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fortune
QUOTE (laughingowl)
Force 10 or so spirit....

How does your Spirit function in rarefied Mana of Space?
laughingowl
The SPIRIT does function in rarefied space..

A spirit can use its power on something and then sustain it and go elsewhere...

[QUOTE]

Sustained powers may be maintained over time at no effort or cost. Because these powers are innate, the critter is not subject to any strain or modifi ers for keeping the eff ect going. Even taking damage will not disrupt these powers’ ability to sustain. Also, line of sight does not have to be maintained aft er the power takes hold of its target. Critters may sustain a number of powers equal to their Magic at one time. Permanent powers must be maintained for a specifi c period of time before the eff ects become permanent, as noted in the power’s description. Other powers may have a Special duration, meaning that the duration of the eff ect depends upon other factors, as noted in the description.[/QUOTE]

The spirit at the launch facility (or anypalce) uses concealment and movement on said vehicle...

The spirit then is asked to sweep the floors in the bathroom of the launch facilty (well protected of course)...

Shuttle has concealment and movement buff until next sunrise /sunset

EDIT:

The spirit never needs to leave earth though there is room for debate on the effect of the powers:

[quote = SM 118]Pre-existing wards, mana barriers, active foci, sustained
spells, and quickened/anchored spells are similarly affected.[/quote]

'Powers' are noticably missing from this list... this COULD be an ommision and they should be effected (since they are tied to magic), then again this may not be an ommision (and RAW is listed as being effective) and there is some some precedence since things like spell defense dont effect powers. (nor for that matter have I seen anythign that says 'powers' can pass through wards.... (if they cant wait 'force' do they use to break through)...

IF ebbs/warps effect your spirit, then just have the spirit travel to a friendly aspect ward...

Suddenly your force 10-12 spirit become 15-17... even in a total void the shuttle has a force 5-10 movement buff and concealment buff....

Though RAW... powers are NOT listed as being effected...
Big D
See the earlier space travel thread. Heck, we got into a debate over whether you could break c (and it sounds as though that's legal).

So, yeah, build a really big SAM, grab a high-force spirit, and you could make it, especially if you're looking for an impact rather than a docking (where you have to match velocity). Think of the approach that China just used.
kzt
QUOTE (laughingowl)
Blame 'Ares' for some horrendous thing, storm and take over major Ares facilties. (with a few key insiders) It is even likely they could get codes and/or possibliy 'some' of the oribital stations.

A quick lighting strike, major boardroom leaders dead before anything is known... 'Public' opion saying Ares bombed the vatican (or some such)...

Sure UCAS couldn't (likely) take over ALL Ares space programs... but a few... and the rest looking at a world that thinks: 1) Ares (leaders) were the evilest sons of bitches since they guy that invented neck ties... 2) Most of Ares 'ground' isntallation controlled by UCAS (which means no re-supply)...

In my not so humble opinon, Ares is a much harder target. For one thing, it has real military forces, not just fancy security and black ops guys. And a lot of the military forces are based out of the easy reach of the UCAS. Second, Japanese people have demonstrated a great willingness to make significant changes based on decrees from their rulers as to how things will be. See the WW2 surrender. This isn't so true of US culture.

I'd expect the trick would be to co-op them as opposed to trying to do a takeover. You'd have to meld chunks of the senior leadership into the government, which has been done before. Ares would remain as a company, but it would be a potent political player as a part of the country, much like a combination of General Dynamics, Boeing, Blackwater, KBR and GE would be today, not an outsider. I'd only see this as likely if everyone involved planned to do a forcible unification of NA.
laughingowl
well technically you cant break c...

Your arent 'moving' any faster...

you are just travellig farther...

'impact' is till the exact same.

If are 1kg and have a velocity of 1 meter per second... your have a a joule of energy...

If a force 200 bloodspirit-zilla uses movement power on you...

you will travels 1,200 meters per turn (200*6 (seconds per turn)) ... howver you will impart 1 joule on impact (somehow)...
Fortune
Can you calculate the exact speed (or time) it would take using the combination of rocket plus Spirit? Can you do it to the same exacting standards that are necessary for successful Space travel? What exact numbers do you use (in-game calculations) to reflect the exact nature of the Spirit's Power?
laughingowl
KZT:

And how many of the 'Ares' forces would still identify themselves as 'Americas'. Ares has always been played as a very 'American' company.

Sure it would happen in a day..

But if Japan shows the CC has no teeth, they become no concern...

Japan has also shown the mega-corps are evil / evil and senior member do horrendous acts for their own good and cant be trusted...

UCAS black-ops begin a subtle 'make Ares look bad campaign' and start scopying for 'nationalist' within the company. (and blackmail able people)...

Hell if you REALLY want to go evil.

5-6 well timed ritual mind controls....

Ares senior management DOES does something horricically bad....

The rank and file is stunned...

UCAS has turn coats and military people ready to strike...

The 'key' defenses were dropped (see opening ritual magic)....

In very short time senior leaders of Ares would be dead (ritual magic, direct assult, possibly own troops at going 'crazy')... (and most of the senior management IS US based)....

The world would think Ares had gone mad... (or atleat power hungury)...

UCAS wouldnt need to worry about the remaining 'Ares' military since they offer to 'protect' the remainin Ares forces (if they cooperate) from the rest of the world, who is outraged and the henous actions....

If the remaining Ares forces 'challange' UCAS, UCAS goes to the CC, petitions for an Omega order against Ares... Every single corporation (and goverment) begins to seizes piecesof the puzzle...

If Japan pulled the above off, there will be people that are conviced they could pull this off...

If the CC allows one... there will be people that belive the CC will allow the other...

The world has no loyality to the CC, rather it is through fear / repercussions they have power.... if the world does fear the repuressions of the CC, they cease to exist...

Tyrants can NOT allow somebody to challange their authority (publicaly) or they are on the road to being overthrown....
laughingowl
QUOTE (Fortune)
Can you calculate the exact speed (or time) it would take using the combination of rocket plus Spirit? Can you do it to the same exacting standards that are necessary for successful Space travel? What exact numbers do you use (in-game calculations) to reflect the exact nature of the Spirit's Power?

That the wonders of Movement power Fortune you dont have to...

You calculate the trip exactly per normal...

Somehow though you get there in time / force....

Movement power does effect control / drive / pilot rolls are all... (don't ask me why best I can say It's Magic...)

Even if this wasnt the case, Movement power would be VERY easy to calculate since it is a fixed mulitiplier....

It is MUCH easier to calculate then say normal 'thrust' since the more fuel you burn, the more you accelerate (since you now have less mass)....

Fortune
So you do the trip as normal, but Z-O will not be there. It is in orbit, so you would need to actually do the calculations. And Force is a somewhat arbitrary term 'in game', that it would make it somewhat difficult to measure its exact nature.
kzt
QUOTE (Fortune)
So you do the trip as normal, but Z-O will not be there. It is in orbit, so you would need to actually do the calculations. And Force is a somewhat arbitrary term 'in game', that it would make it somewhat difficult to measure its exact nature.

I suspect that you could program a computer to do the course plotting. Or get someone to actually fly the damn thing into them. Even better if he has a good reason to want to kill them all. He just doesn't need to know why or from whom the help is coming from.
Fortune
QUOTE (kzt)
I suspect that you could program a computer to do the course plotting. Or get someone to actually fly the damn thing into them.

I'm sure you could. My problem is the exact calculations needed in regards to the arbitrary thing we refer to as Force. I understand that out-of-game, Force can be quantified to the nth degree, but in-game, magical knowledge is not such an exact science.
Adarael
Am I hallucinating that there was this rule wherein sustained spells & effects are reduced in effectiveness when they enter a mana warp? Or is that only 3rd Edition?
Fortune
QUOTE (Adarael)
Am I hallucinating that there was this rule wherein sustained spells & effects are reduced in effectiveness when they enter a mana warp? Or is that only 3rd Edition?

Nope. But laughingowl's supposed premise is that Spirit Powers are not affected.
Fortune
QUOTE (Street Magic pg. 118)
Spirits, being creatures of living mana, are perhaps even more vulnerable to background count. A spirit’s Force is reduced in the same manner as a character’s Magic, thus affecting the spirit’s attribute and spirit powers as well.

QUOTE (Sr4 pg. 289)
Movement
Type: P • Action: Complex • Range: LOS • Duration: Sustained
The critter may increase or decrease the subject’s movement rate within the terrain it controls. Multiply or divide the target’s movement rate by the critter’s Magic.
laughingowl
Fortune:

Movement power has no effect on reaching your goal...

If you 'drive' (or pilot) the boat to intercept another car...

If you are under a movement power, you dont 'drive' to where it would have been (if you were driving normal speeds) you drive to IT...

Ramming a spacestation would be the exact same as ramming a vehicle, both pilots (if any) make a drive test.....!

As to your later quotes:

The 'Range LOS' in in applicable... if you read my quote.. while spirit needs LOS to implement the power (first LOS is pretty far) second of all... SUSTAINING THE POWER says you do not need LOS... thus the spirit sits at the launch facility.

Your quote from page 118 is one I missed. Though not 100% daming (though more likely to accept intent... though I do got an email in on this)...

That WOULD effect the spirit (and his powers) if the spirit was IN the mana warp....

Though no mention of spirit powers is mentioned for 'effects' moving into the warp. (with an otherwise very exhaustive list).

If the spirit is in a background count zero and the target moves to a background count 1 does the power change?

I totally agree that if the SPIRIT is in a mana warp its force (and thus its powers) are reduced in effect...

However it is still not clear that if the spirit is in baseline zero background count, and the target (while under the effect) moves into a warp, what happens...

Also in the mentioned space travel one, I belive even Frank was posting with spirits augementing space travels...
Fortune
QUOTE (laughingowl)
Movement power has no effect on reaching your goal...

If you 'drive' (or pilot) the boat to intercept another car...

If you are under a movement power, you dont 'drive' to where it would have been (if you were driving normal speeds) you drive to IT...

Can you give me a quote that specifically backs that up?
Fortune
QUOTE (laughingowl)
Also in the mentioned space travel one, I belive even Frank was posting with spirits augementing space travels...

I believe Frank was posting about Bloodzilla aiding Space travel. There's a difference. A Spirit would be fine, as long as it was over Force 12.
Fortune
QUOTE (laughingowl)
That WOULD effect the spirit (and his powers) if the spirit was IN the mana warp....

Though no mention of spirit powers is mentioned for 'effects' moving into the warp. (with an otherwise very exhaustive list).

If the spirit is in a background count zero and the target moves to a background count 1 does the power change?

The next paragraph goes on to state ...

Pre-existing wards, mana barriers, active foci, sustained spells, and quickened/anchored spells are similiarly affected.  Reduce their Force by the absolute value of the background count.
laughingowl
and it is that NEXT paragraph that is problematic..

Pre-existing wards, mana barriers, active foci, sustained spells, and quickened/anchored spells are similiarly affected.  Reduce their Force by the absolute value of the background count.

Is a very specific lists... which does NOT include powers... as mentioned about 1 billion times, this could be an oversite... (and likely is) .. however, the bother to give a VERY exhaustive list of things that are effected if pre-existing that move into an area of background count.. and powers is not on this list..

If the paragraph was:

pre-existing effects are reduced by the absolute value of the background count.

then we are good...

however, if they go on with a rather exhaustive list... one must make the assumption that this list defines the items that are effected. (and I certianly agree even if not.. a large number of GMs would house rule it)... however... RAW... powers are not effected by moving into a ward area... (spirits are effected)

The first paragraph and the second are mutally exclusive...

Othewise magic become almost impossible since you get double jeopardy..

If mages (and spirits) in a background count get hit with a magix/force reduction.. they can cast weaker spells...

Then if as they cast the spell the SPELL get weaker... background count just got doubled....

Thus the first paragraph is dealing with 'entities' in a background count... (their magic is reduced, their drain is raised...) but once cast (under those effects) their spells are normal....

The second paragraph is intended to provide rules, for when caster (mage or spirit) is safely someplace else.... and their target moves to a background count area...

The second paragraph is what applies to our 'launch facility' spirit, since the spirit is on earth, lounging int he swap in the Florda keys.... watching shuttles take off... 'the shuttles' however are leaving the gaisphere thus would be moving into an area of background count..

The sustain 'physical mask' spell would clearly degrade....

HOWEVER (and it is most likely an oversite) the rules as written make no mention of sutained / existing powers that move into an area of background count degrade...

Making it possilible that only the location of the 'spirit' mattters...

Likewise.. nothing in the rules specify (and again an oversite I think) that a creature with a 'power' on it, cant pass through a ward.

Again all listing for wards that I can find say:
but they act as a solid barrier to spells, manifesting entities, spirits, and active foci.

Again powers are not any of those (spells are the closest, yet they are not spells, since counterspelling doenst help, nor can they be dispelled)

If Synners (I belive) own words.. wards are effectively aspected background count... yet wards dont effect powers... then background counts do effect powers...

(Unerstand I fully support your game, may be differnt, and and very open to 'developers intentions' are otherwise... though RAW.... this is so)

Big D
Best way is to test things out on the ground using the same strength of spirit (or just use a high-force ally). That should yield you the multiplier rather quickly, even if you assume that there is no IC measurement for Force.

And yes, it does matter. See again, the China test, where they lobbed the interceptor in front of an oncoming satellite at just the right time. Any sooner or later, and the interceptor would not have been at that altitude, since it was going straight up and did not have orbital velocity (gravity even at high orbit is almost as strong as on the ground, *unless* you're throwing yourself around the planet fast enough to negate it). Even for a GEO target, I think you still have to work it out based on the location of the launch platform and use a slightly curved trajectory. The higher the force of spirit, the straighter it would get.
laughingowl
No it does NOT matter...

movement power has been stated to have no effect on the 'pilot/drive/eetc' roll...

I can not use 'movement power' on my arrow and suddenly you cant dodge it...

I do not use movement power on myself to catch up to somebody and then suddenly find myself a mile infront of them...

movement power has been stated multupe times to have NO effect save for far you can move... it does NOT effect any test to go where you want to..

Movement power it NOT a mystic Jato bottle shove up your backside....

Movement power doesnt make a gymnast automatically kill themsleves when they try to vault on the bars, by exploding into the ceiling... (Heck in truth it is even debtable if it woudl allow them to 'jump' higher, since technically an athletics roll to jump isnt 'movement' (as per how far you can move)...

It does not cause the indor 50 yard dasher to sprint past the finish line and face plant into the wall...

A troll throwing a spear at extreme range....

yes the spear some travels the distance in normal time/force ... but the troll doesnt gain any bonus... (or penalty) to hit his target...

The same goes for If you use movement power on a rock... and I shot it from a catapult...

Sure the rock makes the trip in 1-2 second maybe instead of 10-15... but I still aim exactly like normal...

Sure 'real word' physics says NO WAY... gravity has less time to 'pull down' the rock... (depending on range) earth rotates less... wind has less time to effect it... (hell drag though should play ALOT more... (if not burn it up like a meteorite) but none of this happens, THE ONLY EFFECT is it can move movement * force as opposed to movement....
Big D
Sigh. No, it doesn't make "aiming" any harder, or any rolls different. But depending on what orbit your target is at, you'll have to aim at different parts of the sky depending on what your velocity is. That's fluff, not crunch.

Now, because of Train A/Train B problems, if you miss your launch window, it still doesn't matter, because you don't get a roll to "hit" the target in the first place--the missile goes to the wrong patch of sky.

An ABM or similar system basically has (in some cases) two rolls... one to determine if the pocket protector guys (or the mainframe) can work the math right--in 2070, this is almost a gimme, except that Movement can spoil your math if you assume that you don't ICly know what the multiplier is. The second, of course, is whatever terminal homing you have, and by RAW doesn't care if Movement is up even if you're breaking c.
FrankTrollman
Spirit Powers are indeed separately reduced by being in a background count from spirits. So while a spirit can slap a movement on a space ship and then not die when the space ship goes into space - the movement multiplier will still e reduced by 12. To get any meaningful virtual speed out of the movement power through space you'd need a spirit of Force 14+. And while that's nothing special for Bloodzilla (even Peter Taylor's proposed errataed Bloodzilla), that's a serious pile of conjuring for anyone else (even a Great Dragon).

That being said, you would have to take Movement into account for your calculations for Space Travel. This is because you're doing Rocketry rather than a more conventional movement style. During a period that you are aided by Movement, you use up fuel at a normal rate. Movement doesn't make a runner any hungrier or a car empty its gas tank. And so for a trip where you are propelling yourself by throwing reaction mass out the back, going twice as far along your proposed course doesn't make you get there in half the time.

Your base acceleration gets better and better over time as the mass you're dragging along goes down. With your travel time reduced as it is by the Movement power, you never get to the later times when your acceleration was going to be better.

So the net result is that yes, in 3 days of Movemented space flight you'll be in a very different place (and have a lot more fuel left) than you would have been had you spent 6 days without getting Movement to make you go twice as far.

---

This crucial distinction in time doesn't make any difference at all to people pilotting container ships across the Atlantic or truckers hauling goods across the Yakut. But it's a really important distinction for specifically rocket ships.

-Frank
Draconis
And once again the movement thread rears it's ugly head like an alien suddenly bursting from someone's chest. eek.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012