Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the heck is the Drone Sensor really?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Negalith
In a similar way to capacity for drones.. I wish the same would be said for eyewear.... Cant tell you how it bugs me when players want contact lenses with every visual upgrade at the same cost as similarly tweaked big bulky goggles.
eidolon
QUOTE (Negalith)
In a similar way to capacity for drones.. I wish the same would be said for eyewear.... Cant tell you how it bugs me when players want contact lenses with every visual upgrade at the same cost as similarly tweaked big bulky goggles.

You're telling me. I lose brain cells every time I have to look up or mention that the same visual mods that cost capacity when installed in a cybereye take up no room when you install them in a pair of contacts.

Ouch. There went a couple more.

The Jopp
For some reasons Im inclined to suggest that my GM remove contact lenses from the game, miniature technology might be good but compared to the other improvements like glasses and such it gets damn silly.
DireRadiant
In principle whenever there is a way for players to buy gear or take character creation options that technically might allow you to upgrade or get freebies I as a GM just say no.

I don't expect the rule book to cover every single contingency and option in excruciating detail.

At the end of the day I'm simply going to tell a player to roll 3 dice for the sensor test because the drone has rating 3 sensor equipment. It'll use whatever technology it needs to work.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (The Jopp)
For some reasons Im inclined to suggest that my GM remove contact lenses from the game, miniature technology might be good but compared to the other improvements like glasses and such it gets damn silly.

...for contacts, I usually add the availability of enhancements to that of the contacts and limit the total to the Chargen availability cap. Same with glasses and the monocle. Goggles and helmet visors are much more robust and therefore should be able to accept a wide array of enhancements.

What they really needed to do is designate a capacity rating for visual and audio gear as they did with Cybereyes & ears and use the same ratings for the various improvements.
Blade
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...for contacts, I usually add the availability of enhancements to that of the contacts and limit the total to the Chargen availability cap. Same with glasses and the monocle. Goggles and helmet visors are much more robust and therefore should be able to accept a wide array of enhancements.

Isn't it how it's supposed to be done ?
FlashbackJon
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Nov 29 2007, 10:31 AM)
In principle whenever there is a way for players to buy gear or take character creation options that technically might allow you to upgrade or get freebies I as a GM just say no.

I don't expect the rule book to cover every single contingency and option in excruciating detail.

At the end of the day I'm simply going to tell a player to roll 3 dice for the sensor test because the drone has rating 3 sensor equipment. It'll use whatever technology it needs to work.

The first and last idea there seem to conflict.

Do I simply roll Sensor in order to detect radio signals, without purchasing the Radio Signal Scanner? If I do have to purchase a Radio Signal Scanner, don't I also have to purchase a Camera and Microphone and fit them in my sensor package, as the FAQ suggests? If my drone only has a sensor package capacity of 1, does that mean I have to choose between a Camera and a Radio Signal Scanner? If I do, and I pick the latter, how does my drone even navigate?

Just some questions to stir dialog.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (FlashbackJon)

Do I simply roll Sensor in order to detect radio signals, without purchasing the Radio Signal Scanner? If I do have to purchase a Radio Signal Scanner, don't I also have to purchase a Camera and Microphone and fit them in my sensor package, as the FAQ suggests? If my drone only has a sensor package capacity of 1, does that mean I have to choose between a Camera and a Radio Signal Scanner? If I do, and I pick the latter, how does my drone even navigate?

The sensor capabilities can always be defined as the plot needs.

You can start with them undefined and they become defined when you use it or when it really matters. Or you can define it to begin with, and be stuck with that.

So if the sensor exact attributes aren't defined to begin with,a nd it matters at some point during the game, well define them then, and that's what that particular drone sensors work as from that point on.

If you want to know when buying the drone how the sensor works, then buy it that way, and from that point on it uses that particular attribute for sensors.

Both ways work for me. Neither is wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Blade)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Nov 29 2007, 04:40 PM)
...for contacts, I usually add the availability of enhancements to that of the contacts and limit the total to the Chargen availability cap.  Same with glasses and the monocle.  Goggles and helmet visors are much more robust and therefore should be able to accept a wide array of enhancements.

Isn't it how it's supposed to be done ?

Almost. That's exactly how it's done during character creation.
The problem is after character creation they can theoretically get their hands on an arbitrarily high availability. The bigger problem is that with a permit (or sometimes no permit, depending on the configuration) they can get these contact lenses with no regard for availability whatsoever, because availability does not apply to legal purchases.
Putting an absolute hard-cap on the availability of contacts post-chargen is the same fix that I use as well. You can use the same rule with goggles if you want, but since goggles have a base availability lower than contacts, they can naturally fit more toys.
Jaid
for an unmodified drone, i personally just assume the drone has some form of unidentified general purpose sensor that has the function of indicating the relative location of stuff, movement speed, etc. it is presumably visual-based in some way, since it doesn't bypass invisibility, and if i had to make something up i'd probably go with a laser beam that sweeps around the area like radar or something like that, mapping out where stuff is.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (FlashbackJon)
So a microdrone can only have a camera OR a microphone OR a radio signal scanner?

If you check the listing for "camera" on p.325 it indicates that cameras capture still photos, video, or trideo and sound. So a basic camera is more than enough to operate a drone.
FlashbackJon
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
QUOTE (FlashbackJon @ Nov 29 2007, 12:36 AM)
So a microdrone can only have a camera OR a microphone OR a radio signal scanner?

If you check the listing for "camera" on p.325 it indicates that cameras capture still photos, video, or trideo and sound. So a basic camera is more than enough to operate a drone.

Granted that eliminates the need for a microphone, but that wasn't the nature of my question. In fact, it then becomes, can a drone operate without using one of its sensor package capacity for a "Camera"?
kigmatzomat
Sure.....if you want it to operate in "bump'n go" fashion.

Tiny drones only have basic sensors. Something the size of an RC car can afford the 1 space of a camera, especially after you load the camera with smartlink, flare comp, lowlight, thermo, magnification and vision enhancement (or a suitable mix thereof up to your availability limit). Then you can use the other slots for one or more "exotic" sensors like ultrasound, MAD or laser mics.

Big drones (atv sized) can afford to be loaded with just about every sensor under the sun.
Eleazar
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Nov 29 2007, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (FlashbackJon @ Nov 29 2007, 11:10 AM)

The sensor capabilities can always be defined as the plot needs.

You can start with them undefined and they become defined when you use it or when it really matters. Or you can define it to begin with, and be stuck with that.

So if the sensor exact attributes aren't defined to begin with,a nd it matters at some point during the game, well define them then, and that's what that particular drone sensors work as from that point on.

If you want to know when buying the drone how the sensor works, then buy it that way, and from that point on it uses that particular attribute for sensors.

Both ways work for me. Neither is wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately this advice isn't of much help to those of us that are looking for a standardized homogeneous system to incorporate into our games, based upon the rules we currently have. I think I agree the most with Redjack's solution, even though it admittedly isn't the best solution. The best solution is most hopefully going to be seen in an errata or Arsenal when there is a clarification.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012