Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking Skillwires
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
deek
I'd rule for simplicity. Hacking skillwires or MBW allows you to "turn off" a chip, plain and simple. If my players wanted more than than and put up a good argument, I might be inclined to also impose a -1 to -4 die pool modifier on top of that, but that is about the limit.
DireRadiant
If I have skillwires and I turn them off, do I suddenly become incapable of doing anything?

Skillwires are an adder, not a substitute. They add to the Skill side of the Attribute + Skill mechanic.

Hacking skillwires only means you take the "skill" part of Attribute + Skill away.
Ed_209a
Deek and DireRadiant read my mind about Skill wires.

I think all you can do with activesofts is change the artificial muscle memory to something less helpful. You could replace Pistols-3 with Pistols-(-3), making it feel right aiming 3 feet to the left of the thing you want to shoot.

For MBW, you are trusting your black box to interpret your wishes correctly. If the database that tells "when user thinks A, he wants B" is altered, you are at it's mercy.

OTOH, MBW has to take input from the entire motor cortex. It seems reasonable that the black box is expecting constant input from hundreds of different leads. I think that would make it very difficult to turn someone into a puppet. It would be much easier to give the Black Box a software fault so that the target just crumples and waits to be shot.

When the text talks about turning off reflex enhancers, I think they really mean dialing them back to normal metahuman settings.
Emperor Tippy
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
If I have skillwires and I turn them off, do I suddenly become incapable of doing anything?

Skillwires are an adder, not a substitute. They add to the Skill side of the Attribute + Skill mechanic.

Hacking skillwires only means you take the "skill" part of Attribute + Skill away.

No. That would happen when you turn off MBW systems (you pretty much die). It's jsut that while the Skillwire system is on you can paralyze a person for at least a round by making their muscles forget what stuff means. Think newborn.

Now whether or not the person can turn off their skillwires in that situation is DM call, the rules can be read either way fairly easily.
Ol' Scratch
Actually, Skillwires can only "add" memories. At no point do you become unable to use -any- skills or abilities you had while using skillwires or skillsofts. And, in fact, if you have a higher rated skill naturally, the skillwires and skillsofts are completely ignored even if you load them up.

There's not a single example of skillsofts disabling a person or even remotely disrupting them in SR4 that I'm aware of. That would require a RAS override, and then only because it would block signals from the brain to the body... not because of telling muscles to "forget" things.

On a different note, while the text for Move-By-Wires strongly suggests that it permanently throws you into a seizure, there's nothing in the actual rules that states that you can't turn it off completely (just like any other piece of cyberware) and be just fine. That includes the seizure MBW creates. And, honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to stop the implant from creating the seizure as that's just as much its function as controlling the seizure is.
Emperor Tippy
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Actually, Skillwires can only "add" memories. At no point do you become unable to use -any- skills or abilities you had while using skillwires or skillsofts. And, in fact, if you have a higher rated skill naturally, the skillwires and skillsofts are completely ignored even if you load them up.

There's not a single example of skillsofts disabling a person or even remotely disrupting them in SR4 that I'm aware of. That would require a RAS override, and then only because it would block signals from the brain to the body... not because of telling muscles to "forget" things.

On a different note, while the text for Move-By-Wires strongly suggests that it permanently throws you into a seizure, there's nothing in the actual rules that states that you can't turn it off completely (just like any other piece of cyberware) and be just fine. That includes the seizure MBW creates. And, honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to stop the implant from creating the seizure as that's just as much its function as controlling the seizure is.

Actually, by pure RAW you can kill anyone with a skillwire system with a command. "overrides all muscle control". You can stop a persons heart if you really want to go by RAW.

One of the developers said that it was supposed to override muscle memory. In which case you can just paralyze them for as long as the Skillwires system is on.

Page reference? Where, exactly, do the rules say that you can turn off any or all cyber in your body at will? It's not on page 32 of Augmentation.

I would also like to add that according to 2 separate freelancers/developers you can control a person with a MBW system.

Wired Reflexes state that you can turn them on or off. MBW's don't.
Ol' Scratch
Actually, by pure RAW you can kill anyone with a skillwire system with a command. "overrides all muscle control". You can stop a persons heart if you really want to go by RAW.

Rules as written, huh? Care to quote the page reference with that exact rule? I don't recall once reading it anywhere. Your interpretation of various rules and fluff text doesn't equate to the "rules as written." I can point to actual rules, not fluff, that show you have 100% complete and total control of your actions, muscles, and abilities while using skillwires and skillsofts. I'd really like to see this heart attack rule of yours.

Page reference? Where, exactly, do the rules say that you can turn off any or all cyber in your body at will? It's not on page 32 of Augmentation.

SR4 p. 215. Read the definition of a "device" in the sidebar.
SR4 p. 224. The sidebar here also says quite simply that if you don't need the benefits of a device, just turn it off.

I would also like to add that according to 2 separate freelancers/developers you can control a person with a MBW system.

Freelancers and developers say lots of stupid things in an unofficial capacity. And even on an official capacity (see the Skillwires fluff description). What's your point?
Emperor Tippy
Device—Individual electronics that are connected
to the Matrix,
such as commlinks, terminals, cyberware,
security cameras, drones, etc.

Skillwires and MBW systems aren't connected to the Matrix. You can turn wirless off, it's fine with me.

The thing is, to use an active soft you must connect your skillwires/MBW system to either your comlink or dataport. If it's conencted to your comlink I can hack it by going through said comlink and your screwed. If it's connected through a dataport you have to slot Activesofts to use them (which slows you down). And if your dataport is connected to your comlink or any wirlessly enabled device I can hack through that.

Will you be able to hack a runner in the middle of a run? Most likely not. Will you be able to hack your average runner at any point in time? Not if they are as paranoid as they should be.

But runners aren't normal or average. Most people keep their Skillwires wirelessly enabled so that they can use them easier. Most people have their MBW systems go through their comlink.

I don't care if I can't hack the person who is ready for it. I care if I can paralyze that wage slave running for the alarm. And the guard who forgot to disconnect today.

And there are always trojan horses. Hack a persons' comlink and upload an agent that is to wait until the person goes to upload an activesoft or connects to the system.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Sep 24 2007, 10:05 AM)

No. That would happen when you turn off MBW systems (you pretty much die). It's jsut that while the Skillwire system is on you can paralyze a person for at least a round by making their muscles forget what stuff means. Think newborn.

Now whether or not the person can turn off their skillwires in that situation is DM call, the rules can be read either way fairly easily.

Thought exercise 2.

Character can have Skill X naturally (not using skill softs)
Character can have Skill Y naturally (not using skill softs)
Character can have Skill X using a skillsoft and skill wires

Character wants to do Activity A, using Skill X + Attribute I:
If Skillwires are on and skill soft active, Use Skillsoft + Attribute I
If skillwires are off, what happens?
If skillsoft not active, what happens?
If character wants to do Activity B, using Skill Y + Attribute I, what happens?

According to your arguments so far, in all cases once the skillwires are off, or the skill soft are not active, or the skillwires are hacked, or the skilsofts corrupted, the character falls over and cannot do anything at all.

I fail to find anything in the rules that really support this, the only actual statement in the rules is that in the case of there being both a natural skill and a skillsoft and the system is active that the skillsoft supersedes. This covers one specific scenario, and when you extend this to cover all situations, then I believe you encounter some serious problems in the results you gain.

However, if you want to allow this in your game, go ahead. Your game, Your choice.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy @ Sep 24 2007, 01:29 PM)
Skillwires and MBW systems aren't connected to the Matrix. You can turn wirless off, it's fine with me.

That's all I have to say in response to that level of voluntary ignorance.

The thing is, to use an active soft you must connect your skillwires/MBW system to either your comlink or dataport. If it's conencted to your comlink I can hack it by going through said comlink and your screwed.

Bzzt. That's your interpretation. Nothing -- nothing -- in the actual rules state that. In fact, there's not a single rule I'm aware of that says you can make an implant do any more than what its bonuses provide (or don't provide if you turn it off). You hack into someone's Skillwires and the only powers you have are 1) turning them off or 2) loading an Activesoft for them. That's the full and complete extent of your abilities. And when you do give them an Activesoft, ALL you're doing is giving them a free skill. Even if loaded and active, that Activesoft doesn't cripple or control a person in any way, shape, or form. And, again, it is even COMPLETELY ignored if they already have the skill at a higher rating.

With Move-By-Wires, all you can do is 1) turn it off or 2) load an Activesoft for them. If you turn it off, all you do is get rid of their Initiative, Reaction, Dodge, and Skillwire bonuses. You don't have any specific control of them, nor do they collapse into a seizure.

That is the rules as written. Show me a rule that says you can manipulate cyberware to go beyond its normal abilities or beyond simply shutting it down.

If it's connected through a dataport you have to slot Activesofts to use them (which slows you down).

What are you going on about here? Assuming you mean a Datajack, it's no different regarding Skillwires and Activesofts as using a Commlink or anything else.

I don't care if I can't hack the person who is ready for it. I care if I can paralyze that wage slave running for the alarm. And the guard who forgot to disconnect today.

You can't do that to either him or anyone else via these methods. That's the point, despite your claims to the contrary.
deek
I think the issue here is that EmperorTippy is misusing the concept of hacking. Just because you "hack" a device, doesn't mean you can do anything with it.

I mean, if that was the case, then why not hack the Mr.Coffee node and shut down all the power at the Ares installation your team is assaulting?

Or the next time you are at a StufferShack, hack the camera and then point it at the LoneStar chasing you and have it shoot out laser beams?

Obviously I am being ficitious here, but to me, that is about the same as saying you can hack skillwires and paralyze someone.

The point is, that just because you can "hack" something, doesn't mean you can make it do anything possible, you can simply control it based on its normal operating parameters. So for a skillwire, the activesoft is either on or off.
Jaid
i would also argue that you could potentially corrupt/destroy the activesoft. this wouldn't make it so you could control the person or anything, it would just make the activesoft useless. potentially, i could see how crashing/corrupting/destroying the MBW's expert system could be bad, but imo you'd need a specific program to have the desired results (ie you would need to have a copy of "frag over the MBW-using cyberzombie" or something like that).

but if someone sat down and coded a program that, when fed to someone's MBW (but not skillwires, imo) i would allow them to have that program do Bad Things™ to the person using move-by-wire.

otherwise, i would probably rule exactly the same of doctor funkenstein in this case (wow, it almost feels weird to say that =S )
Big D
I think you guys are talking past each other a little here.

The first question is whether you can hack skillwires in the first place.

The second question is what you can do with them once you've hacked them. Yes, the options appear to be limited to a) turn them on/off, b) load one or more softs, and maybe c) execute a soft.

A and B may cause problems to the target, but no more than the Accident power would. C is where the real danger is, in conjunction with B. Because if you can remotely load *and execute* a soft, then you write an attack soft that does bad, bad things to the target.

I don't buy that you could stop the target's heart--the heart has no reason to run softs in the first place, so it's not going to be connected to the wires. Just because "it's a muscle, and muscles are connected to skillwires" ain't gonna cut it. But, otherwise incapacitating the target by causing the limbs to sieze up might be doable, and is probably worth a good debate.

EDIT: Dagnabbit, Jaid beat me to it.
Ol' Scratch
A and B may cause problems to the target, but no more than the Accident power would. C is where the real danger is, in conjunction with B. Because if you can remotely load *and execute* a soft, then you write an attack soft that does bad, bad things to the target.

Once again just... no. Loading a Skillsoft does nothing to you except give you access to that skill. That's it. No taking over your conscious mind and controlling your actions like a remote control. It doesn't pick your targets nor move your body for you. It just temporarily "teaches" the skill to you, and is no different -- thematically or effectively -- between learning it naturally or via a chip. And just like learning a skill naturally, you don't suddenly lose your ability to control your body or your mind.
Jaid
actually, Big D, i don't think you can execute a soft. it's basically just making the person good at something. you can't make them use the skill anymore than you can make them use the same skill if they didn't have skillwires.

the only reason MBW could do Bad Things™ to you is because they have a mechanism built in that can do Bad Things™ to you in the first place. it has nothing to do with the skillwires part, and everything to do with the fact that MBW induces controlled seizures, and writing a program to make those seizures do Bad Things™ is completely in line with how they work. making the person perform one specific set of actions might be possible (unless/until they are shut off by the person using them), but would be of such limited usefulness that it makes no sense. i mean, i would totally allow you to write a program to make someone walk 3 steps forward... provided you had their height/length of legs, and you gave them exact data on how they are to move their legs, and how their body is to balance, etc. and when it was all done, you'd have a program that could make someone take 3 steps forward (provided the terrain matches perfectly what your program assumes).... and it just wouldn't be worth the bother imo.
Emperor Tippy
Can Skillwires/MBW systems be hacked at all? I say yes.

If you can hack someones MBW system then you can make their body do anything you want. An expert system (software and basically an agent) is in control of all their bodies muscles. If you turn off that expert system they have massive seizure (and most likely die from them). If you replace the expert system with one that does what you want than you can use them as a biodrone.

Now skillwires. They "override normal muscle movement." I wouldn't include things like the heart and lungs in here but thats up to your GM. I upload an active soft that tells your skillwires to override all muscles and not let them do anything. It is simply a custom activesoft.

I am not making either system go beyond its normal operating parameters. I am using it's normal operating parameters to do something detrimental to the user.

What do you find so hard to grasp with this? Why are you so agaisnt it?
deek
Well, from my perspective, doing BadThings could, at most, make a person suffer a -1 to -4 die pool to all physical abilities...again, AT MOST. I don't see any reason to allow anymore control than that...and honestly, I think that is stretching it.
Emperor Tippy
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)

Once again just... no. Loading a Skillsoft does nothing to you except give you access to that skill. That's it. No taking over your conscious mind and controlling your actions like a remote control. It doesn't pick your targets nor move your body for you. It just temporarily "teaches" the skill to you, and is no different -- thematically or effectively -- between learning it naturally or via a chip. And just like learning a skill naturally, you don't suddenly lose your ability to control your body or your mind.

Read the damn skillwires description. Page 1 in the first post in this thread. I'll repeat it here.

Skillwires are a system of neuromuscular
controllers placed alongside the body’s natural nervous
system to override muscular movement.

If you control their skillwires system you can paralyze them.
eidolon
QUOTE (Emporer Tippy)
What do you find so hard to grasp with this? Why are you so agaisnt it?

QUOTE (Jaid)
you can't make them use the skill anymore than you can make them use the same skill if they didn't have skillwires.
the only reason MBW could do Bad Things™ to you is because they have a mechanism built in that can do Bad Things™ to you in the first place. it has nothing to do with the skillwires part, and everything to do with the fact that MBW induces controlled seizures, and writing a program to make those seizures do Bad Things™ is completely in line with how they work. making the person perform one specific set of actions might be possible (unless/until they are shut off by the person using them), but would be of such limited usefulness that it makes no sense. i mean, i would totally allow you to write a program to make someone walk 3 steps forward... provided you had their height/length of legs, and you gave them exact data on how they are to move their legs, and how their body is to balance, etc. and when it was all done, you'd have a program that could make someone take 3 steps forward (provided the terrain matches perfectly what your program assumes).... and it just wouldn't be worth the bother imo.

That's why, in a nutshell. (Nice summary, BTW, Jaid.)

And as an aside, this isn't a presidential campaign. There aren't really sides that are for one thing or against another. It's a role playing game, and it works the way we want it to work. So why so antagonistic?
Fortune
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
Read the damn skillwires description.

I don't see the need for you to be rude. Especially when you are the one making ludicrous claims.
Jaid
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
Read the damn skillwires description. Page 1 in the first post in this thread. I'll repeat it here.

Skillwires are a system of neuromuscular
controllers placed alongside the body’s natural nervous
system to override muscular movement.

If you control their skillwires system you can paralyze them.

yes, do read the description. on page 320 of SR4, you will find the following:
If the character already possesses the
skill, use whichever rating is higher.

translation: the skillwires do not force you to do the skill. if you have the skill at a higher rating, the skillwires may as well not be there at all. it does not control you in any way, shape, or form. you could corrupt someone's activesoft so that it is a lower rating, or even crash it so that it has no rating, but you can't force someone to use it.

so if you upload an activesoft that tells the person to not move, then whenever they don't want to move your activesoft will kick in and make them better at it. but first you have to get them to decide to use their "don't move" skillsoft. good luck with that.

as far as MBW, you couldn't control a person with MBW like a biodrone at all. this is nonsense. biodrones (the ones that you actually can rig in the first place, that is) have MBW... specifically, an *advanced* MBW, with several other systems built in. this MBW must presumably have special hardware attached to allow external sources to control it, because the research team and everyone who worked in any way on the MBW system would have had to be smoking crack while simultaneously injecting themselves with heroine and running half a dozen (different, and conflicting) BTLs in order to actually consider including such hardware into standard MBW systems. MBW != stirrup system, otherwise biodrones would just have MBW. since they don't, we can safely assume that MBW (and indeed, just about all cyberware that is not explicitly designed to operate in other ways) will always accept DNI interface first and foremost, before it even considers checking for external sources of control. this is not going to be something that can be overcome with hacking, it would be the kind of thing that takes tests like hardware, cybertechnology, etc, and direct physical contact with the target, and a bunch of time, to make special modifications to their cyber.

when i say you could do Bad Things™ to someone with MBW, i don't mean making them shoot their friends, i mean making them have seizures. possibly even making those seizures lethal. i wouldn't allow you to make them have these seizures (lethal or otherwise) without such a program, because you are going to have to overwrite the safety protocols that tell the MBW system to stop inducing seizures whenever the expert system isn't around to direct it.
Emperor Tippy
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy @ Sep 25 2007, 06:40 AM)

I don't see the need for you to be rude. Especially when you are the one making ludicrous claims.

I am making the Skillwires system do exactly what it says it does. "Override Muscle Movement."

Doctor Funkenstein went on about skillwires/activesofts teaching you the skill temporarily. His is the "ludicrous" claim. Skillwires override your muscles when yo uuse an activesoft. It's exactly what they say they do.

If skillwires override your muscles then you can paralyze a person with them by making every muscle connected to them contract.
Grinder
Let me get this straight: if a Hacker hacks the skillwires of someone else, who 's running Salsa on it, the Hacker can paralyze him?
Jaid
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 24 2007, 03:54 PM)

I am making the Skillwires system do exactly what it says it does. "Override Muscle Movement."

Doctor Funkenstein went on about skillwires/activesofts teaching you the skill temporarily. His is the "ludicrous" claim. Skillwires override your muscles when yo uuse an activesoft. It's exactly what they say they do.

If skillwires override your muscles then you can paralyze a person with them by making every muscle connected to them contract.

no, you can't. you can make them really really good at not moving, when they want to be good at not moving. that's it. that's what skillwires do. just like how you don't slot a pistols activesoft and then automatically start shooting everything in sight, you just get skilled at shooting everything in sight.
Emperor Tippy
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy @ Sep 24 2007, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 24 2007, 03:54 PM)

no, you can't. you can make them really really good at not moving, when they want to be good at not moving. that's it. that's what skillwires do. just like how you don't slot a pistols activesoft and then automatically start shooting everything in sight, you just get skilled at shooting everything in sight.

You make the Skillwires system think every command sent to it is to activate the "really good at not moving" activesoft.

The guy goes to activate his Pistosl activesoft and is paralyzed because the system thinks thats what he wants.

Whether or not you can force the execution of an activesoft without the person's choice is debatable. I think you should but I can see the other position. But whether or not you can make an activesoft that paralyzes a person and whether or not you can corrupt the Skillwire software to think any command to the Skillwires is saying to activate said activesoft isn't that debatable.

It is just software.
Dashifen
QUOTE ("Emperor Tippy")
You make the Skillwires system think every command sent to it is to activate the "really good at not moving" activesoft.

The guy goes to activate his Pistosl activesoft and is paralyzed because the system thinks thats what he wants.

Whether or not you can force the execution of an activesoft without the person's choice is debatable. I think you should but I can see the other position. But whether or not you can make an activesoft that paralyzes a person and whether or not you can corrupt the Skillwire software to think any command to the Skillwires is saying to activate said activesoft isn't that debatable.

It is just software.

But that's not hacking the skillwires, that's making a software test to code your own activesoft and then replacing all activesofts on the target's commlink (assuming their not chipping their activesofts) with your custom one. In that scenario, you don't have to hack the skillwires in any way.

Edit: fixed grammar, added quote.
Eleazar
Paralyzing a persons body is not an intended use of the skillwire system. You would have to do a rather hefty hacking+edit test or code your own activesoft to accomplish what your are proposing. You would also have to force the victim to use the skillwire program. They could just turn off the system. If I know someone is hacking my commlink there isn't anything stopping me from turning off the switch, this is likewise to all cyberware. One part you seem to be missing about of all this is that the skillwires are alongside of the natural nervous system. Meaning they do NOT replace the natural nervous system. The very fact that if one's skill ratings are higher than the activesoft shows that the system can, at will, be overrided by the users natural nervous system. Skillwires still only override muscular movement, that is a very far cry from full body control. They aren't overriding your brain. At the very least the victim would get a willpower test for their brain vs. the skillwire system's rating. This is just all absurd what your are proposing and is very obviously against the purpose of hacking. Anyone in the computer field knows that even when you gain full control of a computer system through hacking, there are certain things you just can not do. If Windows XP can't play PS3 games under normal use, then why the heck would it be able to do so when you hack it.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Eleazar)
If Windows XP can't play PS3 games under normal use, then why the heck would it be able to do so when you hack it.

Because, silly, you have to h4XX0rz it, not just hack it.

Duh.
biggrin.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)

1) You'd have to personally create such an Activesoft as well as get the agreement from the GM for creating a brand new skill to emulate.

2) Even if you did get the GM's permission for your brand new skill, and even if you did code your own Activesoft program, you'd have to find a way to trick the target into using it.

3) Even if you did get them to use it, they could shut it off in a heartbeat.

4) Even if they did use it, it would still have no effect except, possibly, in a test where they have to remain really, really still and want to use the skill to remain really, really still. Knowing the skill and using the skill are completely different things, and not a damn thing about Skillwires nor Skillsofts force the user to use the skill it imparts. In fact, it gives them complete control over that skill.

Ludicrous? Okay, mate. Whatever you say. If Skillsofts worked even remotely like you THINK they work, and despite numerous rules that say exactly the opposite of what you THINK they say, no one would ever use them. Ever. Not even in an emergency. Who wants a robot taking over their body and doing everything for them, including 100% of their decision making on what to do with that skill?

Talk about ludicrous. If anything, you just seem to be in rampant denial because you're upset your "ingenious" plan fails on every conceivable level.
deek
The only argument I can see EmperorTippy making is the "Override Muscle Movement" comment. Nowhere in RAW does it define how that is done, or if it is controllable by someone else...which usually means, its not intended to do that. Its vague and quite a stretch to put any sort of rules around just what that means.

At best, with your GMs approval, I can see a hacker creating a special activesoft that could force the victim to be paralyzed, but again, that is 100% a GMs call...so, yeah, it can be done, but not by RAW.
Whipstitch
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think a PersonaFix is really the only way to go, since it's the only way you have a shot at taking the victim's free will out of the equation. And even that's really only an option if they have a hotsim module.
DireRadiant
I don't think you can make the legitimate activesoft do the paralyzation thing. But I don't find any problem with Dashifen's idea of substituting a different Activesoft.

Who in their right mind loads the "Paralyzation" activesoft and turns it on...

But if they think it their pet Pistols 3 activesoft and they need to shoot... well, it would be as much a fun trick as replacing the gun ammo with blanks.

My key objection is the notion that you can Hack the Pistols 3 Active soft to do something it doesn't normally do. I don't have a problem with a Activesoft that was programmed to pretend to be an Pistols 3, but in fact was a Dancing 3 active soft. That would be a fun Hack.

Dashifen
I'd love to see a Pistols to Bad Juggling autosoft "conversion." Then, instead of shooting, the poor guy just tosses all some of his equipment in the air and it falls at his feet.
Ol' Scratch
Simply renaming the file won't have any effect. It doesn't matter if that Bad Juggling activesoft had "Pistols.activesoft" for its filename or not -- as soon as he "learns" the skillsoft, he'll know whatever that skill is and be able to use or not use it at his discretion.

It would take your own skillsoft facility and years of research and development to do anything along the lines of what you guys are trying to do. You're not just creating a brand new, unique activesoft. You're trying to create one that does nothing remotely similar to what a real skillsoft does (ie, alter commands to something completely different than what that command is). Activesofts are way more than just simple programs.

It'd be far more advantageous to just use a BTL to take them out of the equation. Cheaper, too. But, of course, that requires them to have a Hot Sim which -- you know -- is part of what makes the whole thing balanced. God forbid that word comes up.
Dashifen
I can imagine a situation where someone codes their own activesoft that somehow conceals its true nature. Regardless, we're in the realm of speculation.
DireRadiant
Tis true, ActiveSofts aren't covered in the Coding Software table on pp. 240. But the possibilities.

definitely an intriguing plot device.
Cthulhudreams
I feel every position is defensible here. Some people want to make 'logical' inferences to various degrees, some people want to stick to a hand line of what the rules say. I don't think it is very productive argument, the three lines of attack taken are

A) None of this stuff is explictly allowed so it doesn't work, and also this makes sense because this stuff merely enables your brain to have access to additional functionality, and that functionality can only be driven out of your brain.

B) You can do various hacks that are Very Bad, but there are various very strong defences avaliable to ensure that said hacks are very bad but imposible to actually conduct (though if you can, nice work!)

C) Very Bad things are possible, defenses are not as readily avaliable.

I think all 3 positions are defensible and it's really something to talk through with your GM.
sunnyside
I'll necro this instead of starting a new thread since I was wondering about this. As much as anything to see if that's a good idea or if nobody will join in.

Anyway it seems to me that the arguments that "skillwires aren't supposed to do that" are off. For example a cyberarm isn't supposed to hit you in the face when you don't want it to. I think we all agree you could hack that right.

Also skillwires aren't just software. They are not just like the Trinity from The Matrix example. Knowledgesofts are like that. Skillwires are something distinctly differentand something is being added for that extra essense you're paying. It would seem stuff for muscle overriding from the text.

Also it is cannon that, at least with black IC, the user can't use neural control to always regain access to a device or turn it off. One could imaging the hacker just telling the ware to ignore the off command.

Of course there is still the question of how much control the skillwire system has. Is it like a trainer moving your arms where you could still pull against it or a full override? How much is the user still in the loop for what happens and can their input be removed?

I think that'd be up to the GM. Personally I rather enjoy the idea that they'd be partially controlled. In sort of that sci fi way where they may jerkily move around while telling people they're out of control and trying to catch their right hand with their left.

I'd say the hacker would have to use the command program to make them do anything by mimicing activesoft input. Having a proper active soft loaded might let them do that things somewhat competantly, but especially for things not loaded or when they're fighting I'd have them be pathetic at things as they jerk about.

In the middle ground would be something like where you hack a skillwired pilot. You're corrupting the programming to make them fly a different direction. They could fight, but then they'd also be making lousy rolls not to crash the plane.
KitsuneKaze
My take on the skillwires (as an electrical engineer), as they are shown to have less essence cost then MBW, was to manipulate biofeedback, rather then directly altering muscle movement as per RAW. Similar to Muscle memory. Thus my interpretation is that you could not lock them down using Skillwires, as the movement neural paths are unaffected. You could make the way that they are moving feel damn unnatural, but not stop them moving. Using skillwires would be a very "go with the flow" feeling.

MBW however would completely disrupt the neural pathways, just as the aircraft version removes physical linkages to the control surfaces of an aircraft. If you disrupt or infiltrate that control system, then all bets are off.

WeaverMount
I'm very much in line with KitsuneKaze.

If someone has MBW installed you write script to animate them just a like a 3D model, and have the MBW 'render' that motion because the expert system procedurally controls the seizure. Slap on a sim rig, and I really don't see how this is any different from a bio-drone. I see this a pretty direct and inevitable conclusion from the MBW fluff. Yes this is in direct contradiction with the fluff that says there are no Meta-human biodrones. Each table should resolve that however they want

On to skillwire. One thing I think people are missing is that skillwires are bodyware, not headwear. They do not merely give you store of knowledge; they output to your muscles with that famous 'override' quote. Now under normal operation the only thing that tiggers those overrides is the intention of the user. Even if you hacked the equivalent of admin privileges on a skillwire system you couldn't paralyze someone, only upload a copy of Activesoft rating 6 (Freeze). However the hard ware exists to paralyze someone. Therefor there exists a hack to do it. I would rule that it would require a tweaking of firmware. A similar tweak would allow you to by pass the defense where you turn it off with a thought. So IMO yes skillwires can paralyze someone, but only if you can get them on a table and hit them with cybertechnology test, a hardware test, and a hacking/software test.
Cadmus
mmm hacking skill wires, though technicly possible I could only see it being able to mess with the loaded programs...maybe loading alower level program? ontop of that it would only work if you connected it to the matix some how,
Cthulhudreams
My final summation of whats valid and what is not is equally true now as it was pre wired.

Which pretty much tells you whats wrong with unwired.

YMMV.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012