Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [Augmentation] Genetic Bioware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cabral
Building off a slight reference in the Animal Features Transgenic Alteration, "Most of the functional changes available through biotech (p. 61) are also possible through transgenic alteration ..." (p. 93, Augmentation)

So, while this means you could conceivably, depending on your interpretation, get a Rating 3 Synaptic Booster for free via Genetic Heritage, I have a more general question:

Since geneware is not available in "grades", when you take bioware as geneware, what bioware "grade" is used for the essence/cost? My first reaction was the Type-O, but considering the nature of geneware, I would say Delta is most logical (though makes the above malarky more heinous).

What do you think?

As an aside, what's going on with the horned woman's hand on page 69? eek.gif
WearzManySkins
What can be done via Transgenetic Alteration-Biotech, is up to each GM.

Now that I have said that. smile.gif

From my understanding of RAW, you could get (GM approved) synaptic accelerators as such, but the Availability Rating for the Biotech-Transgenetic Alteration "should" still apply. Now if the player has a excellant back story for such, listen to it before you make a decision.

Genetic Heritage from what I have read, is more for things like Genetic Optimization treatments, or some of the EPE wares. Yes I understand getting Synaptic Accelerators 3 for a mere 5 BP's can be enticing.

Typically Bioware Grades only Alpha can be "bought" at RAW character creation, but what the GM allows is up to him/her.

Technically Type O quality does not apply to Geneware, so if you have Geneware Bioware, then no it does not apply. But it would apply if you were just buying the Non Cultured Bioware as Bioware.

FYI Cultured Bioware ie synaptic accelerators are not eligible for the essence reduction that Type O Quality gives. If a character has Type O quality, any basic bioware is Delta grade, so having Delta grade Bioware installed, gains them no essence reduction.

WMS
Fortune
QUOTE (Cabral)
Since geneware is not available in "grades", when you take bioware as geneware, what bioware "grade" is used for the essence/cost? My first reaction was the Type-O, but considering the nature of geneware, I would say Delta is most logical (though makes the above malarky more heinous).

Since it doesn't come in 'Grades', you would use the Standard Essence cost.

As for the rest, Transgenic Alteration is supposed to only provide functioning Bioware versions of animal features like cat's eyes and quills, and things hat can readily be found in nature (in order to splice the animal's genes into the subject).
Cabral
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
From my understanding of RAW, you could get (GM approved) synaptic accelerators as such, but the Availability Rating for the Biotech-Transgenetic Alteration "should" still apply.

Bioware as geneware appears under Animal Features Transgenics which has an availability of 10. Whether this overrides the Bioware's standard availability is up to the GM. However, since this is "purchased" with BPs, not nuyen, the availability may not apply.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)

Genetic Heritage from what I have read, is more for things like Genetic Optimization treatments, or some of the EPE wares. Yes I understand getting Synaptic Accelerators 3 for a mere 5 BP's can be enticing.

10 BP (50,000 nuyen.gif ), but I was just trying to find the most expensive benefit for the points to measure the balance. I suppose you could also use it to get an increased life expectency (250k value).

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)

Typically Bioware Grades only Alpha can be "bought" at RAW character creation, but what the GM allows is up to him/her.

Since there are no grades to geneware, the character would not have a choice, it would be whatever all geneware is. If all transgenic bioware is equivelant to deltaware, it may pose issues for characters purchasing it through the normal char gen system.
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)

Technically Type O quality does not apply to Geneware, so if you have Geneware Bioware, then no it does not apply.

I was referring to Type-O (off the rack, x1 Essence Cost) grade bioware as opposed to Deltaware, not the Type-O positive quality.
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)

FYI Cultured Bioware ie synaptic accelerators are not eligible for the essence reduction that Type O Quality gives.

It's not really clear if that's the intention for my books (1st printing), has that been stated/clarified in an erratum or in a section I missed?

QUOTE (Fortune)
As for the rest, Transgenic Alteration is supposed to only provide functioning Bioware versions of animal features like cat's eyes and quills, and things hat can readily be found in nature (in order to splice the animal's genes into the subject).

It was my understanding that all bioware is potentially "readily found in nature". After all, how did they get the organ if not through transgenics?
Fortune
I'm not going to get into this argument in yet another thread. There are already a couple on this very subject, one of which contains the developer's view on the matter, which I stated above.

As for the Genetech being considered Delta just because it doesn't have any Grades, that is just silly, in my opinion. If something doesn't come in Grades (which are modifications of a base cost), then logically the base cost would apply.
Cthulhudreams
Create some DNA sequences manually, then splice the new DNA into some stem cells from a typo O donor then grow the organ in a vat?

Thats a pretty viable way of creatig organs without involving any animals in the process. Growing organs in vats from donor cells and DNA splicing is explicitly possible.

I'll agree with everyone else that the animal features clause is powered by GM fiat.

All geneware is clearly basic at list price.

Type O has been stated by Synner in the Augmentation errata thread, maybe they'd eventually do errata for it.

However it clear that is the intention. Cultured bioware is already matched carefully to you by definition, so why would it get any extra benefit from type O, as the reason type O gives you a benefit is that off the rack bioware just happens to be carefully matched to you, because it actually came from a system exactly like yours.

Cabral
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 23 2007, 08:34 PM)
I'm not going to get into this argument in yet another thread. There are already a couple on this very subject, one of which contains the developer's view on the matter, which I stated above.

It was not my intention to create redundant discussions. Would you mind linking the thread?

QUOTE (Cthuludreams)
I'll agree with everyone else that the animal features clause is powered by GM fiat.

I was going to quibble about the nature of DNA and what is natural, but I just leave it at your statement. All bow before GM Fiat. biggrin.gif
Jaid
i believe the original discussion is somewhere in the "augmentation Q&A" thread.
WearzManySkins
@Cabral
Search the Augmentation Q&A Thread for the keywords "Type O" and user name "Synner".

There you will find the discussion/debate on Type O and Cultured Bioware. and yes it will be in a FAQ or errata, but not out yet.

There is also a question in that Thread from Synner on Geneware and designing such.

As for the grades of transgenetic alteration bioware, by RAW it does not state anything about it.

Purchasing Synaptic Accelerator 3 has a genetic heritage, .........my understanding of RAW is avail rating apply only at character creation, after wards they only make gaining some 'wares more interesting ie longer etc. If the player has a back story that covers gaining such a Genetic Heritage at creation, go for it. It is your game or your GM's game.

In my game I have lowered the avail rating of Adapsin to a 12, but for it to have its effect all your cyberware must have been installed in the last year, and have a back story for it.

Most of the Transgenetic 'wares is/are well, lets say a side note, not meant/designed to be a major source of inexpensive 'wares. Again Developer Oppsy, not enough play testing INHO. smile.gif

WMS
Fortune
Redundant discussions aren't really a problem (for me at least biggrin.gif). It's just that there is a current and on-going argument over this kind of stuff in this thread. I know there are a couple of other threads that contain tidbits about the matter, but this one is worth the read, and if you still have questions after reading that monstrosity, then feel free to add to it or ask here. smile.gif
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Cabral)
QUOTE (Cthuludreams)

I was going to quibble about the nature of DNA and what is natural, but I just leave it at your statement. All bow before GM Fiat. biggrin.gif

*grins*

Yeah, I kinda agree, but the entire thing is extremely ambigious with no clear resolution either way, and anything we say here is going to be ignored by any GM as 'Guys on the internet said I can do XYZ' is not going to fly as an argument.

It really comes down to what you are willing to let someone get with 10 BP. I'd be fine with anything that cost up to about 80k nuyen, maybe a bit more for things that are very animal esque. biggrin.gif

Cabral
LOL. I guess I hadn't gotten far enough into that thread (though at the beginning Frank said it should be reasonable to apply to Type-O to cultured ware, implying delta cultured bioware exists.)

Well, off to some heavy reading. smile.gif
Fortune
Delta Cultured Bioware does exist.

It is just that the Type O quality does not apply to Cultured Bioware (Frank was wrong in this rare instance smile.gif).

All Cyber and Bioware comes in grades that run from standard (the listed cost) through alpha, beta, and delta. Geneware does not have Grades, nor does Nanoware, although the cyber-nano-funky-stuff does comes in Grades just like normal cyber.
Cabral
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 23 2007, 08:59 PM)
Delta Cultured Bioware does exist.

It is just that the Type O quality does not apply to Cultured Bioware (Frank was wrong in this rare instance smile.gif).

Uhm ... what? How does that make sense (the type-O delta cultured Bio interaction, not Frank being wrong wink.gif) [edit: because that's what the quality says ... oops]

Btw, thanks for the heads up, found the posts where Synner mentioned Delta Cultured Bioware and gave guidelines (which I don't like because it depends on your understanding of biology*) on transgenic bioware.

Now, I just need to find something on transgenic being Type-O essence/price or Delta essence/price ...

*I like Shadowrun as "thinking/educational" RPG - Using the original Seatle book to navigate Seatle, getting by in college classes using the Corporate Shadowfiles book as "Cliff's Notes". It's not that I want it D20'ed down for the mindless, but rather I wish it had a more solid guide which illustrates biological/genetic concepts or was balanced for all inherent (ie, non-symbionts) bioware.

Actually, the problem isn't in the Transgenic Bioware, but rather the Genetic BP qualities.
Fortune
QUOTE (Cabral)
Now, I just need to find something on transgenic being Type-O essence/price or Delta essence/price ...

Logically, if something has a listed cost (in this case Essence), and it is specifically stated that there are no grades to modify that cost, then the standard listed cost should apply.
Cabral
But if you look at how the two acheive their biomodification:

Delta: the gland is genetically matched to the recepient and grown in a vat before implantation.
Transgenic: The recipient is genetically modified to express the gland.

IMO, the logical conclusion is that Transgenic is a "grade" above Delta (thus rationalizing why there are no "grades" of transgenics) where the essence cost and price is the same but the "implantation" time takes longer and the `ware is more integrated (same essence but less stress on the body).

That interpretation makes the most sense to me I don't like the idea of putting delta bioware on the chargen table, especially with the genetic heritage and genecrafted qualities.
Fortune
You are right in that all geneware is matched to the specific body. That is just already factored into the (standard) Essence cost of Geneware.
Cabral
Right, so if all transgenics are essentially deltagrade, they should have delta essence costs and prices.

Just to be clear, I am not stating that you could buy a delta grade version transgenic treatments, just that logically transgenic bioware should use the deltagrade essence costs and prices not the Type-O versions.

As, I said the main problem with this is the genetic qualities, primarily Genetic Heritage. Perhaps the best way to fix it would be to have the BP cost scale with the price of the genetic boon. Perhaps 5 BP per 30k or 40k nuyen price (making it more efficient than paying for it normally. Even if you make it 1 BP per 5k nuyen, it's still advantageous if you will by maxing out your nuyen. Actually with the inherent boon (cost reduction of further mods), maybe 10 BP plus 5 BP per 25k -40k or so of nuyen price over say 50k - 100k would be fitting.
Fortune
QUOTE (Cabral @ Sep 24 2007, 01:31 PM)
Right, so if all transgenics are essentially deltagrade, they should have delta essence costs and prices.

Look at it this way ... Geneware is already considered to use all of the tricks and techniques that are involved in making an implant into Deltaware. This is already included in the standard, basic price of the Geneware. It can't get any better, and really can't get any worse, so the base cost already takes all those variables into account ... at the standard cost.
Cabral
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 23 2007, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (Cabral @ Sep 24 2007, 01:31 PM)

Look at it this way ... Geneware is already considered to use all of the tricks and techniques that are involved in making an implant into Deltaware. This is already included in the standard, basic price of the Geneware. It can't get any better, and really can't get any worse, so the base cost already takes all those variables into account ... at the standard cost.

I think we're talking around each other.

I'm talking about transgenic bioware. Just the bioware. Ie, Cateyes.

Type-O Cat Eyes are .1 Essence.
Delta are .05 Essence.

If you take the delta process and do it holistically so the gland creates less stress on the system of the recipient, you're saying it should cost the same as Type-O bioware (.1). I'm saying logically it should be essentially be deltaware (.05 essence) and priced accordingly.

I am not saying you should be able to by standard, alpha, beta and delta versions of any transgenics.
I am saying that the one and only version of transgenic bioware should logically be the delta bioware. (You can't buy the standard, alpha or beta transgenic bioware, only delta; the delta bioware is the "standard" bioware.)

I'm saying that if you price the trangenic bioware as Type-O bioware, it doesn't make sense. It makes this cutting edge, ultra nifty version worse than anything but second hand bioware (standard bioware does not require months of down-time to install) with the minor perk that it's less stressful on your body (a perk victim to GM whim).

I don't see any other logical interpretation ... only balance contradicts and only because of the genetic positive qualities.

So, does that clear up my stance? (Or did you already understand it and disagree?)
Fortune
Transgenic Alteration (Bioware or not) is still Geneware (not Bioware), and falls under the rules for that tech.

The Bioware versions of the implants like Cat's Eyes and Quills are different from the Geneware versions. They produce the same effect, but go about attaining it in different manners.
Cthulhudreams
The problem is essence is something we have no real measurement stick for. Loosing essence has no effects other than making you more prone to some mental disorders, and making you less magic.

Err.. k?

So maybe geneware cats eyes are more damaging the delta grade bioware cats eyes, hence the full essence cost for geneware and half for the bioware: D

edit: I can even come up with a rationale. They think magic is something in your genes - so screwing with them might have even bigger consequences than adding organs.
WearzManySkins
@all
What Cabral is saying that since Geneware is basically grown from your own tissues, the essence impact should be close if not similar to essence impact of Deltaware.

By RAW in Augmentation, they take tissues sampled then, force grown into the desired 'ware.

Since in Geneware there is no surgery needed to implant the 'ware, the essence costs should be less.

But in Geneware the process is entirely different at least by Synner and others statements. Geneware is introducing animal/alien DNA into a already living body, then "adjustments" are made during the process etc. That is what causes the essence loss, not merely the implantation of a chimera of tissues. The end results may be the same but the way to get there is totally different from delta bioware.

I agree it is not perfect, but it does work after a fashion. It is a RPG, we have some limits on game play, like it or not.

WMS
Fortune
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
But in Geneware the process is entirely different at least by Synner and others statements. Geneware is introducing animal/alien DNA into a already living body, then "adjustments" are made during the process etc. That is what causes the essence loss, not merely the implantation of a chimera of tissues. The end results may be the same but the way to get there is totally different from delta bioware.

Exactly. Different means to reach a similar end, but they are not necessarily equal. smile.gif
Cabral
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
edit: I can even come up with a rationale. They think magic is something in your genes - so screwing with them might have even bigger consequences than adding organs.

That was my rationale for transgenic bioware not taking less essence than delta grade.

My argument is that transgenic bioware should be erratted (errata-ed?) to say it has the same price and essence cost as delta grade bioware. This only causes a problem because of the genetic qualities which are flawed with or without this change.

Since SR4, does not have varying durability of `ware based on its grade (as far as I can find), saying that transgenic bioware has the same Essence Cost and Price as Type-O bioware isn't as detrimental as it would've been in SR3.

On a seperate note, should transgenic treatments have a chance of negating the Type-O quality?
Cthulhudreams
Game mechanically no, as that is screwing someone that has taken a character defining 30 point trait. biggrin.gif
Fortune
Again, there is no such thing as Transgenic Bioware. There is Bioware that grants animal-like features, and there is a Transgenic Alteration, which is not in any way, shape, or form Bioware. It can merely grant you the same benefits as the animal-like Bioware implants via gene-splicing (instead of implantation like with Bioware). They are not the same thing at all.

The Type-O Quality grants a bonus to normal Bioware implants, but has absolutely no affect on Geneware, no matter whether the Geneware grants a similar bonus as Bioware or not.
Cabral
/sigh

No semantics, please. I am using Transgenic bioware to refer to transgenics that produce the same effect as given piece of bioware. Rather than type that out everytime, transgenic bioware gets my point accross very succinctly.

Never did I suggest that the Type-O quality affects any form of transgenics and, in fact, repeatedly said that it did not. I was suggesting, outside of the realm of RAW, by monkeying with the genetics of the character via transgenic manipulation, the character may find that he is no longer "Type-O" material. If you take the universal donor and heavily geneticly modify him to be a half-animal hybrid, is he going to still be the universal donor for the unmodified populace at large?

Now I hope I have made it abundantly clear that I understand the rules as written and that I am suggesting that deviation from said RAW is more logical than what little is printed under Animal Features.
Ol' Scratch
I think the problem is that you're seeing the rule for Transgenic Alteration as meaning they're literally installing you with Bioware via Genetech. They're not. The rule for Transgenic Alteration is basically saying "if you want a cosmetic animal feature that actually functions, use the costs for [standard grade] bioware, but call it Transgenic Alteration."

There is no Type O quality. There is no deltaware. It has nothing to do with bioware at all except as a reference point cost- and benefits-wise. Nor is there any (needed) effect on the Type O quality or anything else.

Unless you're one of the people who want to try to rape that rule to get free deltaware Synaptic Boosters 3 for free at character creation via the other edge, that is. And, sadly, that's the main reason a lot of people seem to bring it up (though they'll never admit it openly, at least not until they find someone who agrees so that they can triumphantly LOLZ at how broken the quality is).
Fortune
QUOTE (Cabral @ Sep 25 2007, 03:40 PM)
No semantics, please. I am using Transgenic bioware to refer to transgenics that produce the same effect as given piece of bioware. Rather than type that out everytime, transgenic bioware gets my point accross very succinctly.

Fair enough. I am only addressing the issue you seem to have with Transgenic Alteration (and only Transgenic Alteration out of all the different Genetic modifications) and their relative costs to Delta Bioware.

My point is that Gene treatment ... any gene treatment costs a specific amount of Essence. There are no grades or other modifiers to lower this Essence cost. This cost should not be confused with the totally different Essence cost for the implantation of Bioware (which incidentally is supposed to be kept track of separately from the Essence cost for implanted Cyberware). Essence is just a measurement of how much a modification affects the system. Not all modifications affect the system to the same extent, even if granting the same benefits (Synaptic Boosters vs Wired Reflexes). Just because the genetic modification grants you the same benefits as a certain type of Bioware does not mean that the impact on the system should be identical to the best possible Essence cost for that Bioware implant. Geneware has a set Essence cost.
Cabral
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Unless you're one of the people who want to try to rape that rule to get free deltaware Synaptic Boosters 3 for free at character creation via the other edge, that is.

No, that quality would have to be rewritten if Transgenic Bioware is based off delta grade. If you do implement transgenic is delta-equivelent, I even suggested some revised BP point costs earlier.

Even if you assume transgenic bioware is priced as type-O bioware, the qualities, especially Genetic Heritage, should be reviewed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012