Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why you should take away your players' toys
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Blade
I guess that the removal of gear will have a different impact depending on who the players are:

MMORPG and Diablo players who play to have their characters get stronger will see gear removal as a stupid punishment. They will also get angry if their character lose an arm, or magic points.
Roleplayers, more focused on story and character development (psychologically/emotionaly speaking) will accept it less reluctantly.
Dying Earth RPG players will expect it and get suspicious when it doesn't happen.
Irian
Oh boy, please don't stop cultivating your prejudices...

Blade
It's not prejudices, it's categorization to make things simpler. At first I wanted to use the classic RPG categorization: munchkins and roleplayers (leaving aside loonies and real men), but as I heard a lot of different interpretations of what a munchkin is, I decided to take a less ambiguous archetype.
Irian
And as almost always, making things simpler means making things less correct...
Blade
True. But the message isn't lost, and that's what's important. For example scientific popularization makes things simpler and less correct, but what's lost doesn't matter for the target audience.
nezumi
QUOTE (DuckEggBlue Omega)
Why is it that just because the game takes place in a cyberpunk setting that some people believe that everything that happens must be dictated by the 'classic' cyberpunk stories?

No one so far has said that or indicated they believe that. Some people have said that they ENJOY games that draw on those sources, however. This thread is about how to better draw on those sources. Again, if you don't want to draw on CP sources, more power to you. It's your game, your players, that's how you're supposed to play. If I want to draw on those sources, however, I have a right to, and I would enjoy discussing with other people how to do so better. Don't try to be the gaming police just because I don't enjoy playing your style of game.

A GM who truly wants cyberpunk or some other "theme" in his game should tell that to the players up front, so that they can make appropriate characters, and help you have that kind of game.

No one has said otherwise. Players and GMs should ALWAYS communicate beforehand to determine the nature and flavor of the game, and if one of them isn't interested, they should find a compromise or part ways. It's like picking a pizza. If I order mushroom pizza for everyone without consulting them, I'm being mean. If everyone agrees to mushroom pizza, then let us enjoy our mushroom pizza.

For the record, I have never taken any substantial amount of a PCs equipment except when the character dies, and at that point I think he has bigger concerns. My characters do generally become more powerful and generally succeed at their missions (not that that makes the world any brighter, mind you). I have warned my players I will sometimes introduce increasingly dystopian themes and I ask for their feedback. Themes that we all enjoy I keep. Ones that we don't, I drop.

When I had PCs dragged back from the brink of death and therefore had a chance to reduce their equipment and magical powers, they're biggest complaint has generally been that they didn't have time to prepare. The overall sentiment though has also been, when faced with the choice of retiring a character or 'starting the character over', starting the character over is generally preferable.
DuckEggBlue Omega
QUOTE (mfb)
so, Star Wars, then. you can call it 'purist drivel' if you like, but without the elements you're rejecting, it's just sci-fi. those elements are the entire point of cyberpunk.

Yes, because the empire totally represents the growth of corporate entites and the negative impact this would have on society as a critical look at the 'greed is good' ethos of the 80's. No wait, they were just a generic force of evil. But unlike most Sci-Fi the technology wasn't just superficial trappings, Lucas really explored the impact this would have on society. Wait no, my mistake again, the technology was completely superficial. Oh, but the rebels, they are TOTALLY an anarchic fringe culture which is actually just as controlled by the empire as anyone else despite all appearances. Wait - no, they are an organised miltary force directly combating the generic forces of evil because they are the generic forces of good, damn. But I'm sure you're right - Cyberpunk without the specific narrative themes and elements is just regular Sci-Fi.

If the entire point of cyberpunk is a collection of narrative elements and themes that can be used just as easily in any other setting, and have been for years before anyone had even heard the term cyberpunk - then cyberpunk is utterly pointless or little more than a pretentious relabelling of old ideas. I prefer to think the elements in the setting itself, without the common narrative themes, make for worlds that are much richer than most sci-fi settings and what makes cyberpunk so cool.

QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (DEBO)
Why is it that just because the game takes place in a cyberpunk setting that some people believe that everything that happens must be dictated by the 'classic' cyberpunk stories?

No one so far has said that or indicated they believe that...

...Don't try to be the gaming police just because I don't enjoy playing your style of game.

How do you get THAT from what I wrote? Especially from what you're quoting specifically?
I never said that you couldn't draw on those sources for your games. I was, pretty clearly I thought, objecting to and disagreeing with the opinion that if a GM doesn't draw from those sources practically verbatim, that they are no longer playing cyberpunk. Or in the context of this thread, that just because a group doesn't get their gear taken away, doesn't mean they're not playing cyberpunk. I'd have to say that expressing an opinion that the games I and others play are still cyberpunk even if it's not exactly like someone else's specific idea of cyberpunk, is closer to the opposite of what you're accusing me of.
Again, how on earth do you equate THAT, to trying "to be the gaming police"?.

And ofcourse people indicated they believed that using narrative themes from cyberpunk was essential to a game qualifying as cyberpunk, the topic of the thread indicated that opinion, and Kagetenshi and mfb confirmed it in their response. Again, I disagree with that, but saying you don't have to use them is not even remotely the same as saying you CAN'T use them.

If you're confusing this with my comments about blowing a player's karma, that's entirely different. Karma is a reward given to players for good play, and thus taking it away could be interpretted as punishing the players for bad play, so it shouldn't be used as a narrative device, or is atleast problematic to do so (less so if a group makes extensive use of cash for karma, and the Karma 'loss' is limited to bought karma). That is a seperate point I was trying to make based on how the game works, and nothing else.
nezumi
If the entire point of cyberpunk is a collection of narrative elements and themes that can be used just as easily in any other setting, and have been for years before anyone had even heard the term cyberpunk - then cyberpunk is utterly pointless or little more than a pretentious relabelling of old ideas. I prefer to think the elements in the setting itself, without the common narrative themes, make for worlds that are much richer than most sci-fi settings and what makes cyberpunk so cool.

Cyberpunk is a mix of setting and themes. This is precisely why it is difficult to pin down as a genre. It isn't like sci-fi, fantasy, modern, etc. which are judged solely on setting, nor is it like tragedy, comedy etc. which are solely based on themes. It has a foot in each. Hence, you'll have a difficult time even defining the term 'cyberpunk' properly, because it's such an odd duck.

QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (DEBO)

No one so far has said that or indicated they believe that...

...Don't try to be the gaming police just because I don't enjoy playing your style of game.

How do you get THAT from what I wrote? Especially from what you're quoting specifically?

(I'm trying not to be confrontational when I write this. I know that how you imagine tone of voice has a major impact on how people read, and that did affect how I read the initial quote.)

My understanding of the quoted text was you are saying, why is it people who understand Shadowrun is a cyberpunk game insist that Shadowrun games be dictated by cyberpunk stories. In other words, reading your quote, the first part, 'the game takes place in a cyberpunk setting', is the assumption which is applied to ALL Shadowrun games, and the second part is the conclusion and problem. So no, your statement wasn't clear.

If you meant, why is it that people insist a Shadowrun game is only cyberpunk if it is dictated by classic cyberpunk stories, then my response was inappropriate. That isn't what I understood you to say.

Now I will say, there are a lot of people who play Shadowrun who are not playing in a cyberpunk setting. There are people who play Shadowrun and have a cyberpunk setting but never have equipment disappear. The focus of the thread, however, is for people who want their Shadowrun to be in a cyberpunk setting (as opposed to those who really don't care or specifically don't want that). If you don't care or don't want cyberpunk in your Shadowrun game, why are you bothering to read the thread?

I do agree with you about karma though. I don't mind characters getting wounds or whatnot so they need to spend their 'rewards' (karma) on undoing damage that naturally accrues during game play. But overall, karma is off-limits to the GM. It's the carrot and if the carrot is threatened, the player may feel hurt.

Kagetenshi
It should be added that with all but the most generic game, there is in fact a "right" way to play it—there may or may not be "wrong" ways (I submit that there are, and offer as examples using AD&D for a diplomatic, pure-interaction-based game or using nWoD for a tactical combat game (or using oWoD for anything)), but some ways agree with the rules and fiction of the game while others do not.

You may enjoy games that ignore the cyberpunk aspect of Shadowrun. You and your players are not bad people for this (well, you may be, but I'm going to grant this for this argument). That does not mean you are playing the game right.

Yes, because the empire totally represents the growth of corporate entites and the negative impact this would have on society as a critical look at the 'greed is good' ethos of the 80's.

You apparently missed the second trilogy, which is all the better for you but means you missed out on the heavyhanded take on corporate power they used there (as a prime motivator for the rise of the Empire, no less).

~J
lorthazar
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It should be added that with all but the most generic game, there is in fact a "right" way to play it—there may or may not be "wrong" ways (I submit that there are, and offer as examples using AD&D for a diplomatic, pure-interaction-based game or using nWoD for a tactical combat game (or using oWoD for anything)), but some ways agree with the rules and fiction of the game while others do not.

You may enjoy games that ignore the cyberpunk aspect of Shadowrun. You and your players are not bad people for this (well, you may be, but I'm going to grant this for this argument). That does not mean you are playing the game right.

Unfortunately your opinion is entirely incorrect. ANY way you play Shadowrun is the correct way if you are having fun. Whether or not you use the slight drippings of Cyberpunk that have been largely stripped from the setting, or run it as a world darker than Equilibrium, you are playing correctly. Yes, the flavor of Shadowrun started Cyberpunk, but many of the later books ripped it out again. I applaud anyone striving to put it back in, but there is a line.

As for the gear stripping everyone is arguing over, it's simple. You can take anything away from a person as long as it doesn't completely redefine them through the loss. A sam without his guns is still a deadly combatant, a Rigger without vehicles is just cannon fodder. No, I'm not saying you can't take it away, you can, but you have to be reasonable. If the players are captured, their gear should be around somewhere nearby. Just by the basic facts of today. If the Local Police find a stash of weapons, it goes to the local evidence locker just so it can be ready for trial.

Glyph
Playing shadowrun and playing cyberpunk are two different things. Shadowrun is a multi-genre game with some cyberpunk elements and other elements such as fantasy. But even if you are playing a "pure cyberpunk" game, you are talking about a genre that encompasses much more than Gibson and a few tired cliches dredged out of B-movies.
DuckEggBlue Omega
QUOTE (nezumi)
So no, your statement wasn't clear.

I still don't see how you went from my asking 'why do some people insist things must be done a certain way?' to interpret that as me saying 'things must be done a certain way'.

QUOTE (nezumi)
The focus of the thread, however, is for people who want their Shadowrun to be in a cyberpunk setting (as opposed to those who really don't care or specifically don't want that). If you don't care or don't want cyberpunk in your Shadowrun game, why are you bothering to read the thread?

I DO want cyberpunk in my SR games - what I am saying is that taking away peoples toys is NOT neccessary to a game being cyberpunk, and does not make a game inherently more cyberpunk.

The notion presented in the first post, and that some agreed with, was that for something to be cyberpunk, the protangonists (players) had to lose their toys. I disagreed - but that does NOT mean I don't want or care about having cyberpunk in my games, it just means I don't think that narrative device is essential to a game being cyberpunk. You CAN use it, when appropriate to the story, but doing it arbitrarily under the guise of 'that's what cyberpunk is about' ammounts to little more than GM dickery, doubly so if it's being used to make up for the GM's inability to properly establish and explore the themes in the setting itself.

The argument is completely relevant to the thread and the discussion, and for you to suggest otherwise is precisely the attitude and 'purist drivel' I was arguing against.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

My games don't ingnore the cyberpunk side of ShadowRun. They're just not full of narrative cliches, which again, are NOT exclusive to cyberpunk anyway.
Cthulhudreams
Taking away people's toys on a regular basis might be cyberpunk, but it's not very.. RPG-y. Once a in a while may be cool, but if you do it *every week* you'll just end up with pissed off players.
mfb
Star Wars stuff

what's funny is, all the stuff you point to as being reasons why Star Wars isn't cyberpunk are thematic in nature. corporations are quite powerful in Star Wars, as evidenced by the fact that despite the galaxy-spanning power of the Empire, there are apparently a number of corporations who frequently and blatantly sell to the Rebels. and if Darth Vader isn't an example of the negative effects of technology on humanity, i don't know what is--a point which is underlined by Luke's realization that his cybernetic hand is a step towards becoming like Vader. there's also the fact that the Old Republic's adoption of clone army technology led directly to the rise of the Empire, and the fact that Jedi generally eschew technology in favor of their natural Force abilities (eg, "use the Force, Luke, rather than the targeting computer whose job it is to guide torpedoes").

the only difference between these thematic elements and the thematic elements you're rejecting is... well, that you're not rejecting them. the theme of loss is integral to cyberpunk. it doesn't define cyberpunk, and it doesn't necessarily have to show up in every single story, but it's part of the API.

Again, how on earth do you equate THAT, to trying "to be the gaming police"?.

it was probably the part where you insulted a lot of people by calling their viewpoints "purist drivel", insults being one method of trying to cow others into accepting your way of thinking. ergo, gaming police.
Platinum
Gaining and losing gear happens all the time. Stuff gets fragged, stolen, burned. Anything is fine whether it redefines a character or not. What is not cool is railroading. But face it ... it's a dark unpleasant future, and if it suits a GM's plot that gear will be history.

Cyberpunk is:

Megacorps ruling with the power level of governments, having none of the accountability or responsibility, while anarchistic rebels try and stick it to the man.

Thinking of this, we need Max Headroom reruns.
nezumi
QUOTE (nezumi)
So no, your statement wasn't clear.

I still don't see how you went from my asking 'why do some people insist things must be done a certain way?' to interpret that as me saying 'things must be done a certain way'.

There's no easy way for me to explain it without being able to use the stresses of spoken language. If you can't put your intent aside for a bit, read that line and see how stressing it different would result in a different meaning, I'm not really interested in spending time explaining it (since it isn't going to prove anything or help anyone). Suffice to say, the post was not clear to me. When I read it, I got a very different message from the one you intended.

I DO want cyberpunk in my SR games - what I am saying is that taking away peoples toys is NOT neccessary to a game being cyberpunk,

Agreed.

and does not make a game inherently more cyberpunk.

Disagree, for the reasons stated in the first post. Losing stuff, losing what makes you special, your 'excalibur' is a minor cyberpunk theme repeated in many sources. It is not REQUIRED, but it still contributes towards making a story more cyberpunk. If you want to use it, go for it. If not, don't. There's no requirement either way.

Moon-Hawk
Gaming story warning: Back in an old SR2 game one guy wanted to make a rigger. He took priority A resources for the cool million and got his VCR3, datajack, and smartlink, and then spent whatever was left (something like 800,000Y) on customizing the ultimate car. In the first session, the car was destroyed apparently due to a miscommunication between the player and the GM regarding the environment. There was a lot of, "You said blah, so I should be able to blah," and "No, I said blah, so what you did was stupid so now your car is destroyed." It completely killed the game, since that character had, after the first session, essentially been build with no priority A, and so he was grossly underpowered and extremely bitter.
Of course, that had everything to do with GM/player communication, expectations for the game, bad rulings, player's car being cooler than GM's favorite character's car, etc and not really anything to do with taking away players' toys, but I just thought I'd share.
ShadowDragon8685
Shoot that GM. In the face.
With a hammerhead round from a Panther Cannon. smile.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Shoot that GM. In the face.
With a hammerhead round from a Panther Cannon. smile.gif

Haha. I'm sure he would agree with you now, but it was over 10 years ago. He really did get better. I made some pretty bad mistakes when I started GMing too. I like to think I've gotten better.
Kyoto Kid
...@Glyph: Thank you.

...@Cthuludreams: How true

...@Platinum: (on Max Headroom), Oh hell yes... That's where I got the idea for the indie network Net47 in my RiS campaign.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)
There's no easy way for me to explain it without being able to use the stresses of spoken language.

Rumor has it these new "computational devices" will soon have the ability to apply "styles" to text, permitting the user to communicate emphasis or strength in speech, even in text.

~J
nezumi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Oct 3 2007, 12:44 PM)
There's no easy way for me to explain it without being able to use the stresses of spoken language.

Rumor has it these new "computational devices" will soon have the ability to apply "styles" to text, permitting the user to communicate emphasis or strength in speech, even in text.

~J

Bah, BAH I SAY!! Give me my difference engine or give me death!
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Gaming story warning: Back in an old SR2 game one guy wanted to make a rigger. He took priority A resources for the cool million and got his VCR3, datajack, and smartlink, and then spent whatever was left (something like 800,000Y) on customizing the ultimate car. In the first session, the car was destroyed apparently due to a miscommunication between the player and the GM regarding the environment. There was a lot of, "You said blah, so I should be able to blah," and "No, I said blah, so what you did was stupid so now your car is destroyed." It completely killed the game, since that character had, after the first session, essentially been build with no priority A, and so he was grossly underpowered and extremely bitter.
Of course, that had everything to do with GM/player communication, expectations for the game, bad rulings, player's car being cooler than GM's favorite character's car, etc and not really anything to do with taking away players' toys, but I just thought I'd share.

After on and off reflection on these sorts of situations for a number of years I've come to the conclusion that especially on IRC if a player is going to do something that strikes the GM as blatantly stupid the GM should caution the player as per the Common Sense edge. Because it's likely not due to the player making a grotesque miscalcuation but rather due to a miscommunication.
Moon-Hawk
Oh definitely. The whole situation is like a bad stereotype of a bunch of geeky teenage boys arguing over something stupid in their parents' basement. Which is...exactly what it was. smile.gif
X-Kalibur
I didn't realize that Henry Dorsett Case ended up in a worse position at the end of Neuromancer... same with Johnny in Johnny Mneumonic (although we later learned he was assassinated, but whatever) fact remains that characters coming out on top is still possible in cyber-punk.
DuckEggBlue Omega
QUOTE (mfb)
corporations are quite powerful in Star Wars, as evidenced by the fact that despite the galaxy-spanning power of the Empire, there are apparently a number of corporations who frequently and blatantly sell to the Rebels.

I think "apparently" is the important word there. What are you basing this observation on? I recall no indication of this but if I'm overlooking something please point it out. What I do remeber is Lando Calrissian selling out to the empire so they wouldn't harass his 'operations' and that criminal organisations still operate on the outer rim (the Hutts on Tatooine) because the empire lack the resources for total control of the galaxy. If your basing this observation on the rebels being well equipped, that's quite a spurious leap to 'powerful corporations defying the empire', and even if I was willing to make it, I don't see how an organisation defying the evil empire to supply the good guys is really an indictment of it. If anything it's saying that a strong private sector is the best defence against a totallitarian regime, or, coporations are good - kind of the opposite of cyberpunk.

QUOTE (mfb)
if Darth Vader isn't an example of the negative effects of technology on humanity, i don't know what is--a point which is underlined by Luke's realization that his cybernetic hand is a step towards becoming like Vader.

That's one interpretation, and though I don't have the audacity to call it wrong, I will offer an alternate interpretation, to show I'm not just disagreeing for the sake of it.

The technology doesn't represent technology, it's a metaphor for other things. Darth Vader didn't get implants and turn evil, he was evil and to reflect this metaphorically he was a machine lacking the human qualities that we consider good. This being highlighted with Luke's 'there's still some good in him' statements and the end where he removes the mask to show his human face - the good inside. Even the Luke losing his hand thing, he realises he's becoming like Vader AFTER he cuts off Vader's hand in anger and his previous cyber hand is replaced with Vader's - again the technology is a metaphor, as I said before, just trappings. Even the 'use the force' line was a metaphor for Luke believing in himself, and making the transition from the 'kid' to becoming the hero.

QUOTE (mfb)
the only difference between these thematic elements and the thematic elements you're rejecting is... well, that you're not rejecting them.

Even if I accepted that those cyberpunk elements exsisted in StarWars, which I don't as shown above, I'm not REJECTING the narrative elements, just the idea that they are ESSENTIAL. Which I point out...
QUOTE (mfb)
it doesn't define cyberpunk, and it doesn't necessarily have to show up in every single story
...you AGREED with.

This brings us to what exactly you're trying to argue - What is your point?

I had thought that by showing, that under my view of cyberpunk that StarWars is cyberpunk, that you were trying to show that my view of cyberpunk was inaccurate (because StarWars isn't cyberpunk). I'm not so sure now, because even if you had been successful (which I don't think you were), let's now apply the same test to the issue of loss which "is integral to cyberpunk" according to you.
Luke loses - His chance to go to the academy with his friends, A robot, His family, His home, His mentor, His hand...
So I'm honestly a little confused - are you saying that StarWars is cyberpunk or not?

QUOTE (mfb)
it was probably the part where you insulted a lot of people by calling their viewpoints "purist drivel"

Except that I used that term in a seperate post to the one being quoted, and in direct response to the idea that the narrative themes were as much if not MORE important than the setting and were infact the entire point of cyberpunk. I still consider that idea drivel, and it still doesn't make me the gaming police.

QUOTE (nezumi)
Disagree, for the reasons stated in the first post. Losing stuff, losing what makes you special, your 'excalibur' is a minor cyberpunk theme repeated in many sources. It is not REQUIRED, but it still contributes towards making a story more cyberpunk.

For starters it being a minor theme doesn't mean taking stuff away makes something anymore cyberpunk than it makes something anymore <INSERT ANY GENRE WHICH ALSO MAKES USE OF THIS THEME>, and even if it did, It needs to be done in a way that makes sense - the act does not make a game more cyberpunk so much as HOW the act is performed, and does not inherently make something more cyberpunk.

And let's actually examine this losing the magic sword bit. I wasn't going to contradict that this was a common theme in cyberpunk, but as others have pointed out Case didn't end up worse off, and this got me thinking. He didn't lose his magic sword EITHER. He'd ALREADY lost it when the story starts and one of the first things that happens is he gets it back - and he keeps it in the end. So it's not the loss, as much as the striving to get back - in a gaming context the loss would be in the characters background and the game includes the PC trying to regain that, however unsuccessfully, possibly making this more an issue at character creation. Just something else to consider.

@Everyone Else: I tend to agree.
Mercer
Even if loss wasn't a theme of cyberpunk (as well as, uh, everthing else), it'd still make sense to occasionally deprive the characters of their stuff. Because shit is temporary.

Its also worth noting that in all the examples of Cyber Cinema Classics about people losing their neat gear (all those examples I can think of, anyway), those character's still prevail. Dutch kills the predator. (Uh, spoiler.) Snake Plisken comes out on top, and on his own terms. Welcome to the human race.

Taking away a character's gear isn't just about making an interesting tactical challenge or highlighting a theme. Its about how creative thinking on the part of the players can always trump mechanical strength. We improvise, we adapt, we overcome.
DuckEggBlue Omega
And I don't disagree with any of that.

I only disagree that, as the title of this thread suggests, "you should take away your players' toys" in order for your games to be cyberpunk (or more cyberpunk than without doing it).
Critias
So if the thread was called "why you shouldn't be afraid to take way your players' toys" instead, everyone would be smiling and hugging right now?
ShadowDragon8685
Sure we would. Don't be afraid of the DSMO w/narcojet "palm buzzer" in my hand that I pat you on the back with.

Also, my whole back is armored with a reactive ceramic armor.
mfb
I think "apparently" is the important word there. What are you basing this observation on? I recall no indication of this but if I'm overlooking something please point it out.

basically, the fact that the Rebel Alliance is an organized force with standardized equipment. standardized equipment requires standardized manufacturing, which means that there are a number of corporations powerful enough to sell to the Rebels. i'm not a big enough geek to remember which corporations, but you can probably find them in the SW wiki. there's also the fact that, in Ep 1, the Trade Federation--Star Wars' version of the CC--fielded the armies that attacked Naboo.

I had thought that by showing, that under my view of cyberpunk that StarWars is cyberpunk, that you were trying to show that my view of cyberpunk was inaccurate (because StarWars isn't cyberpunk).

yes, i believe your view of cyberpunk is inaccurate, because you accept some themes as being necessary to the genre while rejecting other themes that i feel are also necessary to the genre. a story can still be cyberpunk if any of these themes are missing, as long as the themes that are included are emphasized strongly enough. yes, you can have a cyberpunk story that lacks themes of loss. you can also have a cyberpunk story that lacks powerful corporations. you could even have a cyberpunk story that lacks cybernetics, though it's pretty tough. i think a story that lacks any of these elements is less cyberpunk than a story that includes all of them, but unincluding any single one of them doesn't, i feel, necessarily disqualify a story from being cyberpunk.
lorthazar
In other words you are trying to be a Cyberpunk elitest. Well just got one thing to say to that. It's your opinion and your opinion and fifty bucks is worth fifty bucks.
Mercer
Actually, most of the movies covered in the Cyber Cinema Classics don't have cybernetics in them. Mad Max, Predator, Batman, The Crow, Escape from New York, The Professional, La Femme Nikita, and on and on and on. Cyberpunk has always been a fringe player and movies are by their nature pretty mainstream-- even independent films require a ton of money and the people who put up that money generally want some assurance people will end up paying to see the movie. My point here is just that its apparently pretty easy to have a cyberpunk story (or write 24 or so essays about cyberpunk movies) and involve relatively little cyber, by sticking to the themes.

I think its always tricky with implied settings. Take Yo-Jimbo, A Fistful of Dollars, and Last Man Standing. The first is a samurai movie, the second a western and the third a gangster film-- despite the fact they all have the same central storyline adapted or derived from either the same source material or each other.
[ Spoiler ]
You throw a cyberspur into The Man with No Name, and it's cyberpunk. (All of these protagonists do spend a key scene of the movie deprived of all gear, generally getting their ass beat in a cellar.)

It's interesting to note (maybe only to me) that in these movies, when the hero is deprived of his gear, we're generally only talking about an item or two. A gun (or a pair of guns), a katana and so on. Snake Plissken has five or six items in EFLA, that's probably the limit of what you're typical viewer is willing to keep track of. Even a character that has a "bag of tricks", I'd consider the bag a single item-- its just a plot device that says "I'm versatile.". My current SR character is what you'd call gear dependent (he is a 60k samurai), and my gear list is on notebook paper and its spilling over into two columns. For a gear heavy characer, we're generally talking pages of gear. Also, in the movies, typically any gun will work for Blondie, any sword will work for Yojimbo, but characters in games pay through the nose for their stuff. So admittedly, it is a bigger deal for a character in a game to lose something than it is in a book or a film.

But back to my original point that I was making in my head when I was thinking about this a little while ago. To me, cyberpunk is about a loss of control and a loss of humanity (like Johnny Mnemonic, who literally does not own the contents of his own head). The reason the characters lose their cool tech tends to be that its one of the things thats keeping them from being truly human. (Cyber tends to make them both more than human and less, and ulitmately its their humanity that's at stake.) As is pointed out in the Cyber Cinema essays, these protagonists tend to prevail by regressing.

The ugly truth of the role-playing experience is that though we talk a lot about themes and stories, the games have as much in common with wargames as they do with books and films. How your character thinks, feels and acts is narrative; whether your character lives or dies is tarted up Chainmail rules.

Mutants and Masterminds has an interesting take on gear, as a superhero game. Essentially, there is no gear, its all powers. Characters can't go out and buy a bulletproof vest-- or rather they can, but they still have to pay the points for the Armor Power. (Making it a vest that can be taken off or lost makes the power cheaper, but that's neither here nor there.) Also, I've only played a few games of M&M, but my friends are into it so if I'm getting the details wrong I apologize.

Because in game terms, that's what gear is; Powers. Armor is a defensive power, guns are an attack power, they're Powers you can go out and buy with in-game currency, Powers that are sold in stores, but they're still Powers. Sometimes characters will have to get through something without their powers, but they should generally get them back. Most of the time, lost gear is just tides of war. A character rat screws a Control Test and rolls his Eurocar Westwind into Puget Sound-- that's not my fault. (The character will be looking to replace his ride and there'll be some mechanical challenge to that, but its the cost of doing business.) If however I specifically design an encounter to deprive the characters of their gear-- like an EMP blast or something, assuming those still work on gear-- then they'll get it back at some point, either handwaved ("You replace all your gear, no problem.") or as part as an upgrade.

There was a good quote somewhere about this dynamic. Basically, you should give your players almost everything they want, and then put them through 1,000 Chinese Hells to get the rest of it. (It was gamer blog post called "How to Awesome Up Your Players", but I'm too tired to look it up.)

H.L. Puttgrass signing off and heading for the tub. (Bonus points for whomever gets that reference.)

DuckEggBlue Omega
QUOTE (Critias)
So if the thread was called "why you shouldn't be afraid to take way your players' toys" instead, everyone would be smiling and hugging right now?

Probably not, but I'd be happier - and isn't that what's really important?
nezumi
No one said cyberpunk does not or cannot share themes with other genres.

Secondly, cyberpunk brings in LOSS. If you know of a way to take gear without it feeling like a loss, I'm curious to hear what it is.

Now that isn't to say that the loss has to happen in game, in the back story or in the wrap up (although, this being an RPG we're discussing, we should probably focus on what happens in game), as long as the character feels a sense of loss. If a character plays a rigger with resources E, he's probably already feeling a pretty profound sense of loss, and stealing his dumpster, while funny, may not contribute so much to that. Nor does the thing lost need to be equipment or magical powers. NPCs or memories would make good sources for 'loss'. Reputation, settings... Anything that gives the character something that he feels he wants to strive to recover or make up (which is just about everything of value).
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Mercer)
Take Yo-Jimbo, A Fistful of Dollars, and Last Man Standing.

I watched all three in one sitting once. It was great.
gknoy
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Attribute damage rules.

Hitting them with a GM fiat drug that knocked all stats down to 1 for the purposes of resisting drain would probably have the same effect wouldn't it? Some sort of super sedative.

In my distracted state, I read that as "some sort of super laxative". While not really what one originally had in mind, I imagine that would also be an effective way of dealing with mages. ;)
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (gknoy)
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Sep 30 2007, 01:29 AM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Attribute damage rules.

Hitting them with a GM fiat drug that knocked all stats down to 1 for the purposes of resisting drain would probably have the same effect wouldn't it? Some sort of super sedative.

In my distracted state, I read that as "some sort of super laxative". While not really what one originally had in mind, I imagine that would also be an effective way of dealing with mages. wink.gif

...hey it worked pretty well when the one of the runners used one to spike the food of the corpos at an exclusive Boston restaurant in my "'68 - Summer of Love" extraction scenario. grinbig.gif

[/hijack]
gknoy
QUOTE (nezumi @ Oct 3 2007, 03:57 PM)
Bah, BAH I SAY!!  Give me my difference engine or give me death!

Oh, be quiet, you cranky clacker.
wink.gif

This's been a really interesting thread. I think what's interesting is that some of the things coming up tend to underscore some of the choices I often try to make in character creation (for nearly any system):
- gear is ephemeral. Whether through plot devices or personal screwups (esp on my own part), it's too easy to lose.
- I prefer cyber to non-cyber gear, for the reason that it's harder to lose. (OTOH, it has its own problems. wink.gif)
- skills and attributes > gear. Being able to knock out the guard and use his gun is damned handy.

/edit:
And, how to awesome up your players:
http://jrients.blogspot.com/2006/09/how-to...ur-players.html . Thanks for the link, it looks interesting smile.gif
mfb
QUOTE (lorthazar)
In other words you are trying to be a Cyberpunk elitest. Well just got one thing to say to that. It's your opinion and your opinion and fifty bucks is worth fifty bucks.

gosh, i was totally unaware that everything i'm saying here is just my opinion, and holds no authority over anyone else. thanks for clearing that up. and as far as being elitist goes, it's hardly elitist to provide a definition. i'm actually being non-elitist, since i'm arguing for more themes being related to cyberpunk, rather than arguing that certain themes aren't important to the genre.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (gknoy)
- skills and attributes > gear. Being able to knock out the guard and use his gun is damned handy.

...by the same token, having a bit of electronics (e.g. Hardware) skill is good for a rigger/wheelman for the purpose of jacking a vehicle when you need one.
Adarael
Secondly, cyberpunk brings in LOSS. If you know of a way to take gear without it feeling like a loss, I'm curious to hear what it is.

I've always hated taking away gear during a game just to make people feel the sense of cyberpunk loss. The delination I draw between examples the examples of cyberpunk in this thread and applying that game is this: in the examples, the loss of the items is unimportant.

Look at the subjects. Snake Plissken wasn't cyberpunk because he lost his gear, he's cyberpunk because he lost his freedom and had to fight to get it back. His gear being tossed aside is emblematic of his desire to fight on his own terms, not on the president's. Case wasn't a burnout because he lost his deck, he was a burnout because he lost his ability to be a good hacker, which wasn't an item but his way of life. He was fighting to regain his identity.

If you want to make your players feel that kind of loss, making them lose their gear is actually a crappy way to go about it, and leads to players pulling fast jobs to buy it back. If you want to make them feel that kind of struggle, I suggest you work ro do some of the following:

-Make their gear irrelevant. What good is being a master hacker if you don't know WHERE to hack? What good is a sniper rifle if you don't know where to find your enemies? What good is a super-rigger car if you don't know where to go - or, better yet, if you aren't sure anywhere you can run is safe? The advantage of this is that it forces players to turn fights around using their brains. That motif of forcing the enemy to play your game or accepting that you have to learn the rules of their game is far more important to cyberpunk than lost gear. Like Deckard realizing that he has to try and beat Roy in running away, like Case realizing he can't out-hack Neuromancer, and like Snake realizing he has to fight the gangers in their own fashion to get close enough to rescue the girl.
It's not the gear getting lost, it's that the gear doesn't matter.

-Make 'em lose where it counts. Fighting to get back property is mundane. Fighting to get the truth out, to get your life back, that's where it's at. Which is more cyberpunk, I ask you: fighting with a spiked bat and your 'ware because all of your fancy drones got stolen, or fighting with a spiked bat, 'ware, AND drones because if you don't the entire world will think you killed that cop in a drug deal gone bad, when you know you're innocent? Deny people their contacts, and watch them go to bat because the contacts and buddies are part of their life. Deny people their social niceties (like being able to show their face in public, or broadcast their fake SIN) and watch them fight because their safety is under constant threat. Deny people their way of life by framing them, hunting them, showing them something they abhor (Bunraku puppets, insect spirits, toxics, etc) insinuating itself into the world and nobody but them has noticed and watch them fight because that's all they can do. But deny them their car, their fancy gun, or their house and...watch them fight to get toys back? Boring.

-Use the gear, don't deny it. I prefer to use gear and posessions as a constantly-increasing bar. So what if the players have some damn fine stuff? You, as GM, can always ensure that their gear is the bare minumum required to keep up. It lets players feel that their gear does make a difference (and it should), but that they always have to be on the cutting edge because the enemy is one step past that edge, with gear that wells in uncharted beta test territory. Plus, that kind of arrangement lets them aquired one-off special use items that are required to hit the enemy and pull off a specialized plan - and gives you cart blanche to do the same with enemies.
Kagetenshi
I think your suggestion isn't very cyberpunk because you imply that the hypothetical individual didn't kill the cop in a drug deal gone bad.

~J
Mercer
Never have anything in your life you can't walk away from in 30 seconds. (Apologies if I've mangled that quote.)

Typically, the things that happen in the stories are for the emotional consequences. There's not much emotional cost to losing gear, other than it can make the players mad.

For me as a player, I already think of gear as disposable. That's how I design my characters. But I have friends who think of gear as a part of the character, and so its a much bigger deal for them to lose their stuff than it is for me. (And this is related but not exclusive to characters like riggers and hackers, who are pretty gear dependent.) As a GM I can be pretty rough on gear, not because I'm out to get anybody, but just because gear is not up in the front of my brainpan. Its a tool, a tool for the job.

Personally, I like setting up hopeless situations for my characters. If you're going to give a character a reason to shadowrun, it probably shouldn't be something he can achieve on the 3rd mission.
Adarael
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I think your suggestion isn't very cyberpunk because you imply that the hypothetical individual didn't kill the cop in a drug deal gone bad.

~J

Well, in this hypothetical situation, the PC didn't kill the cop in a drug deal gone bad.
Or, to shift the italics:
The PC didn't kill that cop in a drug deal gone bad.
Moon-Hawk
That's better.
mfb
added cyberpunk: the drug deal actually went just as someone intended.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Mercer)
Never have anything in your life you can't walk away from in 30 seconds.  (Apologies if I've mangled that quote.)

Typically, the things that happen in the stories are for the emotional consequences.  There's not much emotional cost to losing gear, other than it can make the players mad. 

For me as a player, I already think of gear as disposable.  That's how I design my characters.  But I have friends who think of gear as a part of the character, and so its a much bigger deal for them to lose their stuff than it is for me.  (And this is related but not exclusive to characters like riggers and hackers, who are pretty gear dependent.)  As a GM I can be pretty rough on gear, not because I'm out to get anybody, but just because gear is not up in the front of my brainpan.  Its a tool, a tool for the job.

Personally, I like setting up hopeless situations for my characters.  If you're going to give a character a reason to shadowrun, it probably shouldn't be something he can achieve on the 3rd mission.

...I agree with some of the above points. A character should still be able to function without his BFG, Super Duper Mach 5, or ÜberMage Power Focus. To this end I gave the Short One (# 14) both unarmed with Killing Hands And Blade weapons (at equal ratings) with a weapon focus. If the WF is lost or taken, she can still fight against a spirit. Take her "prized" Warhawks away & she can pick up another pistol & use it just as effectively for the meantime.

Adarel also made a few good points as making the struggle more personal than material. Yeah between runs KK can go to Weapons Worlds & get another pair of Warhawks with laser sights, but as happened in one scenario, when she was seen on the local newsstream as the one who planted a bomb in a car that blew up a ferry on Puget sound, that takes a bit more "damage control" to deal with.

Where I don't agree is the "Hopeless" situation, for that is only one step from the No Win Scenario (which another character of mine dealt with before). Yes things should be a challenge but I have found a constant diet of the "impossible" tends to become discouraging to the players after a while. Sometimes they should win, but it should also be by their own actions.
Mercer
You may be misunderstanding me slightly. "Hopeless for my characters" means for the characters I play, not for the characters in my game. Bringing up a big "T" Theme of loss is pretty pointless if its just the GM trying to force it on the players for the same reason its pointless for the GM to try to force anything on the players; ultimately, the game is about what the players choose to care about.

The loss of one's humanity is an important theme in cyberpunk, however you choose to define the genre. And since I like playing cyberpunk characters and I like playing cyberpunk games (although ironically, not Cyberpunk), that's usually the jumping off point in my mind for the character. What has he lost, and what is he never getting back?

To that end, I can't think of anything a GM has done to me in SR that has been worse than the stuff I've done to myself. And I don't even mean the stuff like rat screwing a scatter roll and having the grenade land at my feet-- I mean the plot devices I've come up with myself and said, Wouldn't it be cool if my character got completely screwed by this!
Kyoto Kid
...ahh, thanks for the clarification. Yes it did seem when you mentioned about setting up hopeless situations for your characters I read it as you being the GM (I have heard other GMs speak that way about the PCs in their campaigns). As I have seen in the groups I have been with, that is fairly uncommon for players to do (as a GM though I have been known to be rough on my NPCs at times).

The only time I set up plot a PC of mine was when I pushed my little musical demolitionist Leela (yeah, yeah #15) on the path to retiring from the shadows and returning to the concert stage because the story behind it all was just too cool to not see play itself out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012