Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Demographics of Dumpshock/SR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Oct 2 2007, 10:21 AM)
My husband is in 40-50 range and we have his first ed in our library. he was in the British Army in the mid 80's

...hmmm, any insight into how to run the UK National Police and UK military in the 2060s?

His only comment was that in the London SB they reference regiments in the sprawl which were amalgamated in the 20th century. He is a little bitter about the changes to the army in the last few years under Blair.
Kyoto Kid
...I can understand that.

Just one of many issues I've heard over here concerning Blair.
Roadspike
First SR Experience: 2nd Edition, but I've gone out of my way to collect several 1st Ed books.

Favorite Parts of SR: Cyber, Gritty darkness, Tim Bradstreet art, throwing fireballs, throwing double-handfuls of dice (yes, I know that doesn't quite mesh with gritty darkness).
Least Favorite Parts of SR: Hyper-powered PCs, The Dragon-heart Saga, ED connections.

And I'm mildly miffed at being lumped in as "college-aged" at 27, even if my wife is still working on grad school.
Cain
Age: As old as my hair, and slightly older than my teeth.
First played: 1st edition.

Roadspike, do you know about the Meetup group that meets at Fantastic Games on Highway 99 every month? There's been SR missions games going on there.
raggedhalo
Which edition of SR did you play first? 2nd, started back sometime between '92 and '94.
Rail
First Played: 2nd edition. Then lots of 3rd, and now lots of 4th.

And just to flush out your numbers, my current player pool is 14 other people, 10 male, 4 female, all pretty much in their 30's with one pushing 50. A couple played 1st (and got me into it), most played 3rd, and the rest jumped into my revolving game that started in 4th just after First Run came out. I am the only one in the group that read DS on any regular basis, although Coyote Moya is an infrequent poster here, as well as my best friend and the officiant of my wedding.

oh yeah, long time lurker, first time poster and some such.
Kagetenshi
You want "flesh out". "Flushing out" his numbers would leave him with rather less data than he had before you started smile.gif

~J
darkliquid
First played: 2nd Ed a few years ago. Now GMing 4th edition.

I've only ever played about 10 sessions of 2nd edition and now I'm GMing 2 4th edition games because no one I know wants to GM a shadowrun game or in most cases, GM at all.

Other than SR, I mostly play Feng Shui, D&D 3rd Ed, and misc home-brew games. I love GMing Feng Shui.

I miss actually playing Shadowrun, need to bully one of my GM friends into running a game for me smile.gif
wargear
QUOTE (darkliquid)
no one I know wants to GM a shadowrun game or in most cases, GM at all.

Boy, does that sound familiar.
treehugger
Age 30
First played : 1st edition (still mourning the loss of my 10D4 panther canon) GM since 4th ed.
Games GMed : Legends of the Five Rings, The Seventh Sea, Vampire the Dark Ages, Lord of The Rings, AD&D2 (yep i'm ashamed)
Naysayer
Gender: Male... Man, this place is kinda heavy on the Y-chromosome, isnt't it?
I touched talked to a girl once, though. I swear!
Into SR since: 1st Edition. Almost exclusively as a GM. Not complaining.
"Omitted" the whole of 3rd Ed., now casually playing 4th.
darthmord
Into SR since: 1st Edition

I GMed many games for our gaming group for SR1 & 2. Played & GMed SR2 & SR3 while in the Navy (when I could find a group). Haven't played much since I got out in 1998.

I'd consider running it for my daughters but they are a bit young for the setting IMO (eldest will be 11 in a couple weeks). They all (wife included) are interested in a D&D campaign so I may run that for them for a few years until they are older and willing to give SR a whirl.
BishopMcQ
I find that the majority of my female players don't use the forums. Occasionally they will lurk in the background and search for answers to questions but that is the limit of their exposure to DSF.
Kool Kat
Location: In Your Head Making you Do Stuff! Also in Fort Worth, Texas
Which edition of SR did you play first? SR2! NEED MORE 6's! Not enough 6's!
Thufar_Hawat
Edition: 2nd Edition

Ash
sinthalix
36/Male/Decatur, IL/1st Edition (picked it up in 89 and have been playing/GMing every edition since)
kigmatzomat
34yro
Male
Married, thanks for asking.
Louisville, KY (Okay, Memphis, IN but it might not be on your map.)
Edition: SR1. A buddy was in the game store when they were uncrating the first Big Blue Books.
1st character: a mage named Highlander (b/c I'm scottish, not the movie). I was so munchkin, relying on holes in the system (or our comprehension of them). Dual Crusader machine pistols using an ammo cocktail of flechette, apds, and explosive. Abused the crap out of the old Ram spell, back when it could flatten buildings. It made up for the fact that I sat around for 30 minutes between actions. I almost killed the player of the samurai when he got a minigun in the days before burst-fire rules.

I played a lot of SR1, tons of SR2. Wasn't a big fan of SR3 since I felt it was the "AD&D 2nd Ed" of the system. Love SR4 and have ran a few pickup games. I'm usually a GM, but not in SR so that's a bit odd. Maybe when my 6yro campaign hits the finale I'll switch to SR4.
Narse
Male
Montana State University, Bozeman
Caught the tail end of 3rd ed.

JBlades
male
Santa Barbara, CFS
SR1
Nemesis
When: First Edition (Then went out and bought 2nd Ed).
Tiger Eyes
Man, this place is kinda heavy on the Y-chromosome, isnt't it?

Well, at my count it's currently at 82:2. 'Course, according to someone on the board here, that still makes 1,000 lbs of female, which has to equal a whole bunch of you skinny geeky men... wink.gif
swirler
im very geeky but most definitly not skinny
though I definitly don't look like thet "faux females"

nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
nuyen.gif spin.gif nuyen.gif
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif

WOOHOO! I'm rollin in Nuyen!!!
GrepZen
AKA: Shadowfax, Snarf, & Nexus.
When: First Edition but mostly played 2nd and got some 3rd before being exiled to a small island where no one seems to know the true meaning of RPG and thinks the "triangular plastic thingys" I have are quaint.
Penta
...How did you wind up on Kwajalein, anyway?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (GrepZen)
AKA: Shadowfax, Snarf, & Nexus.
When: First Edition but mostly played 2nd and got some 3rd before being exiled to a small island where no one seems to know the true meaning of RPG and thinks the "triangular plastic thingys" I have are quaint.

You shoulda come to Pohnpei, FSM like 2 years ago. We could have started a gaming group.
GrepZen
QUOTE (Penta)

The DoD needed a computer dork and I needed a job (damn the internet tech bubble). I make it out to be worse than it really is. The view is nice and it pays well. Still, when I say RPG most people out here say "naw, I play HALO...DIABLO was good though". rotfl.gif

Wounded Ronin: I was on Roi-Namur two years ago and couldn't leave (Jan 04 to Oct 06). Wish I knew there was another gammer in the time zone...could have setup something by internet. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 as they say.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (GrepZen)
QUOTE (Penta @ Oct 8 2007, 02:34 PM)

The DoD needed a computer dork and I needed a job (damn the internet tech bubble). I make it out to be worse than it really is. The view is nice and it pays well. Still, when I say RPG most people out here say "naw, I play HALO...DIABLO was good though". rotfl.gif

Wounded Ronin: I was on Roi-Namur two years ago and couldn't leave (Jan 04 to Oct 06). Wish I knew there was another gammer in the time zone...could have setup something by internet. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Ha, and internet is crap in the FSM, as well. Did you know that FSM Telecom literally lost the one guy who knew what he was doing so that now the internet and the cell phone system gets a little bit worse every day due to lack of proper maintenance?
GrepZen
A shortage of experienced workers seems to be quite common in this region. The Tongan crew that managed the sewage plant on Ebeye decided it wasn't worth the effort anymore and split so for the last few years raw sewage has been flushed into the lagoon here and the algae is taking over. It could be worse though.
swirler
Pardon my ignorance, but where in the world are you guys talking about? I dont recognize the acronyms.
Kagetenshi
Wounded Ronin was trapped inside a Finite State Machine, while GrepZen was busily programming Remote Method Invocations in Java.

(Seriously, Federated States of Micronesia and Republic of the Marshall Islands)

~J
Blade
Programming Remote Method Invocation in Java because the Dungeons or Dragons needed a computer dork.
But he doesn't like it much there because people are more into High Altitude, Low Opening parachuting than Rocket Propelled Grenades
Ed_209a
Which edition of SR did you play first? 1st Ed

I got in on the tail end of 1E. I remember going to a game, feeling professional because I had a Predator with a reactive trigger and firepower ammo...

The GM said "Hate to break it to you, chief..."

Thus I knew 2nd Ed.
GrepZen
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Wounded Ronin was trapped inside a Finite State Machine, while GrepZen was busily programming Remote Method Invocations in Java.

(Seriously, Federated States of Micronesia and Republic of the Marshall Islands)

~J

Were I able to give karma for a post I would do so...your definitions were quite apt. I may use it for my sig.
GrepZen
QUOTE (Blade)
Programming Remote Method Invocation in Java because the Dungeons or Dragons needed a computer dork.
But he doesn't like it much there because people are more into High Altitude, Low Opening parachuting than Rocket Propelled Grenades

biggrin.gif Funny. I wish it was that interesting. The only RPGs out here are left over from WWII and are to be avoided at all costs. I remember when one of the native kids found one and left it on the island bus...the bus driver (another native) spotted it rolling around the bus around lunch so when he drove to the chow hall to get some food he placed the round outside the front door, for one of the contractors to deal with, got his lunch and left. The chow hall was closed down and EOD was called in to dispose of it so no one was pleased due to dinner being cold prep only (nobody really cared about the RPG being there we were just pissed at having to eat a cold dinner).
chromedog
Location: Newcastle, Australia (some 163lm Nth East of Sydney, up the coast).
Which edition I played first: First. Second RPG I ever bought (main love is Cyberpunk 2020, but I have been known to bait and switch from SR to CP to fill gaps in fluff)

First Character: Elven Street Samurai called "Whisper" - who had a habit of making incredibly noisy kills - as in "loud as a whisper (not!)". He'd go for head shots, fail and merely wound the target, then run up and empty the clip into the guy. Subtle as all get out.
Second character: Thumper. Troll Rigger. Master of the art of 'braille parking'. Good wheelman, though.
Hocus Pocus
what a sauage fest. Just omit sex cause only dorky loser virgin guys place these types of games don't we? nyahnyah.gif Girl gamers=oxymoron.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Hocus Pocus)
Girl gamers=oxymoron.

Tell that to half of my gaming club.

I'll send in the guys with blotters to clean up after they're done.
Fortune
I know there are quite a few more Dumpshock females who for some reason have chosen not to respond.
Kyoto Kid
...not sure what happened to FanGirl. Haven't seen her post for quite some time now.
Grinder
She married emo samurai and both started a new life in Uzebkistan? biggrin.gif
Hocus Pocus
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (Hocus Pocus @ Oct 12 2007, 09:57 PM)
Girl gamers=oxymoron.

Tell that to half of my gaming club.

I'll send in the guys with blotters to clean up after they're done.

i don't believe it. S'like saying you play poker with bigfoot and the lochness monster, incredible!

QUOTE (Fortune)
I know there are quite a few more Dumpshock females who for some reason have chosen not to respond.

that's cause they are too busy PMing me sweet nothings, since I'm so sexy and all.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Grinder)
She married emo samurai and both started a new life in Uzebkistan? biggrin.gif

...come to think of it haven't seen much of Emo around these parts either lately.

...hmmm the plot thickens... grinbig.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...come to think of it haven't seen much of Emo around these parts either lately.

He posted once yesterday for the first time in months.
Nychuus
Which edition of SR did you play first? 4th. I got into Shadowrun so that my gaming group would have more diversity.
Malicant
First edition played: 2nd

This game introduced me to the world of RPGs. No matter how much I deviate from it, I always come back. Most fun setting IMO.
Zhan Shi

...cause only dorky loser virgin guys place these types of games...

Guilty as charged. biggrin.gif
tisoz
I find it aggravating that one of the more frequent posters whose gender has been in question chose to obfuscate the matter by ignoring the question and introducing other questions.
Ryu
Location: Germany, Lower Saxony, region of Hannover, Peine->Adenstedt
First edition played: SR 2.01d, right after the grimoire came out

SR demographics (no DS):

21, female, last days of SR 3
29, male, SR 2.01d
29, male, SR 2.01d
35, male, SR 2.01d
50, male, guestimate early SR 3
(My girlfriend and two of my best friends are part of this group, all of those I "collected" over the last ten years from my SR groups. Good times!)
Stahlseele
First Ed.: Tail-End of 1st Ed, 2nd was out already . .
Jumped 2nd to 3rd due to not playing for some years and probably will jump 4th due to playing 3rd for some more years and play 5th again *g*
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (Hocus Pocus)
what a sauage fest. Just omit sex cause only dorky loser virgin guys place these types of games don't we? nyahnyah.gif Girl gamers=oxymoron.

Geez do not tell my daughter or husband that!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012