Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Demographics of Dumpshock/SR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
apollo124
I think this is relevant to some of the forums we've seen in recent days, like the Curse of the Catwoman thread. What age are the players of Shadowrun and the Dumpshock community in specific?

Feel free to add other questions that I didn't think of.
apollo124
Since I started this, it's only fair I go first.
Male
Indiana, home of Gen Con, some big race in May, and a football team that did pretty good last year
Been an SR player and GM since 1st edition
Kagetenshi
22, IIRC
Male, so the sign on the bathroom says
Boston, in exile to Terre Haute
SR2

~J
Platinum
Male
Oshawa
Second Edition - and adamantly still playing
bibliophile20
Which edition of SR did you play first? Fourth; introduced to it by my mentor, who's been playing since 1st ed.
MYST1C
Male
Braunschweig, Germany (alternate English name: Brunswick)
SR2.01d (German second edition)
NightmareX
male
La Crosse WI
1st edition, fell in love with the setting been playing and GMing it ever since high school

My group (the stable core members) consist of a 23 year old female (started SR4), a 25 year old female (my gf, also started SR4), and a 27 year old male (started SR3), all in the surrounding area. I introduced them all to the game. None are on DS, though my gf is thinking about it is she has the time.
Kyoto Kid
...shoot...guess y'all know who checked the last one... grinbig.gif

Age: old enough to remember home fallout shelters, Watching Ernie Kovacs on the telly, where I was when President Kennedy was assassinated, seeing the Beatles live in Concert, comedy that was actually funny, and Space Food Sticks
First Version: Shadowrun - the Original (1st ed)
What I like most about SR: The tech, the setting, the corporate "game"
What I like least about SR: Magic (save for adepts), IEs, GDs Earthdawn tie-ins

Preferred Cinema: 30's film noir, political intrigue, black comedy.
Preferred reading: Political Intrigue, SF (not to be confused with "Skiffy" [sci-fi]).
Preferred Music: "Classical" (really a misnomer), Jazz, "real" R&R, electronic.
Preferred Telly: since my telly decided to have an electronic aneurysm a number of years ago, I really have been out of touch with the contemporary television scene. In the past it was British comedies (especially Red Dwarf and Black Adder), SF programmes like Babylon 5, Farscape, & The Prisoner, & the only reality show (besides sports) that ever mattered, Battlebots. Other than that I have to go back to what they now call the golden age of television.
Favourite colour: Blue...no...Green WHAAAAAAaaaaaaaa!!!!

[edit]

Seeing that a few respondents have added First SR Character...
my very first one (which surprisingly was male) was a Rigger named Capt. Canucklehead (sorry no points here). Lasted only two sessions before he ended up in a Lonestar Lockup. Of course paved the way for my longest running character: The Short One (OK I'll give you #10 on this)

[note] …been having some real issues with connectivity today. We have this citywide WIFi network, which turns out to be very unreliable (the worst thing is I have a node not more than 10m away which according to the provider is supposed to have a 100m coverage footprint). I have been dealing with more timeouts than I can count. (one of the things this service does in insert what they call an “Interstitial Page� which crashes any upload and returns me to the main DS menu) Hope in 63 years they finally work the bugs out or we will all still be plugging our brains into cyberdecks for a solid connection.
Nikoli
Been playing since First edition.
Fortune
Edition: 1st - I picked up the book the first day it hit the shelves of the gaming shop where I was helping out.
Cadmus
Age 27
been playing...a year? maybe 2, Are you sure I can't trade in my PAC for a PPC?

grinbig.gif
adamu
Male
Written on all my posts
2nd, but early enough most of the supplemental books were still 1st.
Trigger
Playing Since: 3rd Edition, 4 years ago
Eurotroll
26, male, currently living in the southern reaches of what will become the Rhine-Ruhr-Megasprawl. (My characters all seem to come from the Troll Kingdoms though. Somebody stop that 7ft combat mage! grinbig.gif )
Started out playing SR3 several years ago, now running my own SR4 game.
It trolls!
Age 24, male, currently living in what will become the bottom of the Neuwied lake, near the eastern border of future Westrhine-Luxembourg. Started with SR2 in '97 shortly before 3rd was published. It was my first RPG and the only system that was able to keep me playing it. Might add in the favorite sourcebook question: For me it's Cybertechnology. Nice crunch and some of the greatest fluff texts I've ever read in a sourcebook.
Sticks
Which edition of SR did you play first?: Played some first edition, been reading ever since.
Tanka
Which edition of SR did you play first?: Well, I got into SR when 3rd Ed was already out, but my group plays an amalgamation of 2nd and 3rd (mostly 2nd).
BishopMcQ
Which edition of SR did you play first? SR2, with most of my exp. being SR3 and SR4.
Zhan Shi
Male (wait, let me check...yup, male!)
Virginia, USA
Started in 2nd Edition

Favorite movie quote: "I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Darth Vader, Star Wars, Episode 4)
Cthulhudreams
24/Male/Australia/4th

You would have been better served with an 12-18 / 18 - 24 / 25-30 / 30 - 40 or something I reckon, because that 21-30 bracket you've gone for is sweeping a bunch of info under the table smile.gif
Rajaat99
QUOTE (apollo124 @ Sep 29 2007, 04:13 AM)
I think this is relevant to some of the forums we've seen in recent days, like the Curse of the Catwoman thread.  What age are the players of Shadowrun and the Dumpshock community in specific?

Which edition of SR did you play first? First
My first character was a Troll mage. He was stupid and often didn't pay attention to details. He worked at Burger-World to make ends meet. He's still mentioned in my current 3rd ed game by my players. Which is ironic, because only one of my players ever played with that character, but he seems to be brought up by the players who never knew him.
dog_xinu
mid 30s / male / atlanta / SR1
mmu1
Started With: SR3
tyweise
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Sup, Tanka! My wife has a shirt with your sig on it.)
Edition: 3rd, I think.
Penta
Started with: 2nd
swirler
location: From NorthEast Missouri, moved to Houston TX 3 years ago
Started playing: 1st edition Started GMing: 2nd ediion missed 3rd, except for buying the book, trying to get back in on 4th.

most memorable character: T-Grey the White Tiger shapeshifter decker/sam that I agreed to let the GM kill off in a game so that the rest of the group would feel less cocky about their likelyhood of survival from then on in the game
PBTHHHHT
locations: DC
edition: started with 2nd edition. Though all my friends started with 1st, I just joined in with them a bit later.
fistandantilus4.0
First Edition of SR : 2nd edt
Mercer
Loc: Atlanta, GA

Started playing 2e right around the time it came out. Played mainly 2e and 3e, just now getting started in 4e.
Zolhex
Which edition of SR did you play first? Why first of course always start at the beginning. rotfl.gif
Caine Hazen
Which edition of SR did you play first? First Ed
Aristotle
Which edition of SR did you play first? IIRC, I began playing soon after 2nd edition was released, so I think I was playing sort of a hybrid between 1st and 2nd that gradually became 2nd edition. I ran a hotshot teen decker named "Aristotle". I started running Shadowrun with the release of the 3rd edition.
BookWyrm
Gender, Ethnicity: Male Caucasian
Which Edition?: Started with 1st, but really didn't start playing until 2nd Edition. Created my first character, Tangent, after reading Gibson's shortstory Johnny Mnemonic (long before the movie), then reverse-engineered the template, the Contract Courier.
Jame J
Which edition of SR did you play first? 4th, but have a couple 2nd and 3rd edition books.
Tiger Eyes
Gender: Female (sorry guys, someone had to break the trend)
SR edition: 2nd
Jame J
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes)

Eh, it's about time anyways.
ludomastro
Which edition of SR did you play first? - 2nd
swirler
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes)

heh
like we're gonna complain?
biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
old enough to remember […]Space Food Sticks

Dude, I remember Space Food Sticks. Unless you're trying to make us early-twentysomethings feel decrepit, you're probably going to want to leave this one out.

~J
imperialus
Playing Since: 2nd ed. I had a troll street sam named Elfin-Face. He still shows up as an NPC when I GM.
Squinky
Playing since 2nd edition. woot.
Meriss
From: Ontario Canada (My town is small enough that it gets lost on most maps)
Playing Since: 4th ed (or since I found you guys) wavey.gif
Wounded Ronin
I'm 25 and male.

Since females burst into flames when they approach a RPG table I humbly submit that everyone who claims to be female on this forum is in fact a 500 pound 50 year old naked man with a santa claus beard who posts on the internet in the dark.
nezumi
I started playing in '98/99, just before the 2nd/3rd edition changeover.

To counter Wounded Ronin's statement, my wife (who I mostly met MUDding) got so into RPGs that, when I ran an online one, she demanded I start a new one, in person, with her as the only player, and that I continue to GM for her while I'm at work, as soon as I go home and until she falls asleep at night. I estimate that she gets between 4 and 10 hours of role-play time a night. However, she refuses to learn any mechanics, and we never sit at a table.
swirler
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I'm 25 and male.

Since females burst into flames when they approach a RPG table I humbly submit that everyone who claims to be female on this forum is in fact a 500 pound 50 year old naked man with a santa claus beard who posts on the internet in the dark.

hmm
I can attest that is not true
well at least in my group
i actually have more female players than male players on average
normal group is 2 females and one male, if everyone can make it, it's 4 females and one male.
well and then me as gm, sometimes the other guy gms instead
Kagetenshi
They're actually 500 pound 50 year old naked men with Santa Claus beards, but instead of posting on the internet in the dark they're remotely operating their animatronic inflatable girlfriends in the dark.

Which makes Nezumi's situation sorta weird, especially if he isn't the one at the controls.

~J
Tiger Eyes

Hm. Are you saying I look fat? sarcastic.gif
swirler
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes)

Hm. Are you saying I look fat? sarcastic.gif

rotfl.gif
Black Mamba
Version: 1st Edition, and still thanking the gods that 2nd Ed. was created
Roccojr
Which edition of SR did you play first? 1st... about an hour after it hit the streets.
Currently edition of SR I play: 2nd (with SOME 3rd edition and even a 4th Edition rule or two tossed in)

In all this time, I've ALWAYS GM'd. I've NEVER been a player in a game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012