Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please Answer Me This...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
MaxHunter
Had a group of mine running in Tenochtitlán for a while, they were quite happy wearing respirators all the time [as everyone else did, because of the heavy pollution] They could wear them all the time, provided some face concealment and even came in handy in a couple real gas attacks (but didn't help against pepperpunch)

The same group had gas masks too, but they only put them on when they got to wear the camo suits and carry their assault rifles.

Anyway if you feel like it make respirators cheaper, like 25 or 50 nuyen per level or so and end all complications.

Cheers,

Max

Disclaimer: SR word definitions used all through the text, ignore real life misconceptions.
Riley37
I support the idea that wearing gas masks is generally a signal of "prepared for trouble" and may draw attention, same as wearing camo or body armor. Some people may also infer that gas-mask wearers are possibly carrying gas weapons themselves.

How's this for a houserule: holding breath is a Free Action?
Stahlseele
same as wearing camo or body armor.

look around a bit on the streets . . i see many people almost on a dayly basis wearing camo . . and if one looks close enough sometimes i see people wearing fragment-proof wests . . yeah, people are kinda stupid/paranoid over here it seems . . but things like protective clothing, at least for impact, are pretty much commonplace over here . .
Whipstitch
You may think nothing of it, but a guard keeping an eye on loiterers near private property may see it differently; I would personally rule that such a person could easily qualify for the "Doesn't have the right look" penalty on any impersonation, disguise or etiquette test to avoid drawing attention. I'm not saying you'd be immediately dragged in for questioning or anything, but I could easily see them requiring you to provide a SIN number and/or asking you to leave while a more appropriately attired person might be able to score that extra hit and just walk on by.

As for gas attacks, I'd rule that it's either a free action as Riley suggested (after all, even gestures and instant messaging via neural connections can take up a free action), or that you can only count your character as holding their breath if they beat some sort of very hard (I doubt it'd be easy to instinctively start holding your breath even if you saw someone pull out a grenade launcher and suspected they would use riot gas) surprise check; if they fail, they're exposed to the gas until their next pass comes up at which point they may count as holding their breath. As for myself, I just routinely have characters start breathing from an internal airtank once the guards have been alerted. The thing's pretty cheap after all and you hardly lose out on anything even if you get it yanked out later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012